Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nola baxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Am I completely lost here? Is this saying that you consume 5000 to 6000 calories IN A SINGLE DAY? Perhaps I'm not understanding this correctly.
lol - you are understanding correctly,
and I do..

my maintenance level calories are around 3000-3300
so 6500 + 1500 = 4000 average a day ; which is over my maintenance.
I was experimenting to see what I could get away with!

I do heavy weight training, and am at a lean weight.
I cycle calories around a lot and find it really effective!
In fact it is the only effective thing I have found over the 25 yrs that I have been experimenting with diets.

my last weeks calories looked like something like this
3200, 3000, 1700, 5500, 2000, 3250, 3100
averaging about 3100 a day

Truthfully- I find it a piece of cake to eat 6000 cals a day!
nola baxter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola baxter View Post
lol - you are understanding correctly,
and I do..

my maintenance level calories are around 3000-3300
so 6500 + 1500 = 4000 average a day ; which is over my maintenance.
I was experimenting to see what I could get away with!

I do heavy weight training, and am at a lean weight.
I cycle calories around a lot and find it really effective!
In fact it is the only effective thing I have found over the 25 yrs that I have been experimenting with diets.

my last weeks calories looked like something like this
3200, 3000, 1700, 5500, 2000, 3250, 3100
averaging about 3100 a day

Truthfully- I find it a piece of cake to eat 6000 cals a day!
I can imagine the joy of trying to eat at that level, but I can also imagine the agony of the belly ache if I actually accomplished it!

Although I'm a 68 year old female who is now a smidge under 5-3", so..... I count my blessings for the calories I am able to eat these days.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:28 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I can imagine the joy of trying to eat at that level, but I can also imagine the agony of the belly ache if I actually accomplished it!

Although I'm a 68 year old female who is now a smidge under 5-3", so..... I count my blessings for the calories I am able to eat these days.
lol , yes, you have to work up to it!

I do enjoy eating all the food, and I do value it too ;
because in the past I have dieted down to low calorie levels which I had to stay at in order to maintain the weight loss;
so now I appreciate being able to have the best of both worlds - the weight loss, and the good metabolism/food freedom.

All due to calorie cycling too- so I am a staunch advocate for it!

Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Hiya

My name is Nola.
I lurk here because I am interested in different versions of calorie cycling and how it works for people.

I dont do Judd as such,
but for 3 weeks this year I ate 5500/1500,
and then for another 3 weeks 6500/1500,
which are Judd like ratios in fact.

After the second cycle , I noticed my digestion seemed improved;
and my hypoglycemic type responses had improved.
ie, I felt my blood sugar reactions had noticeably improved.
I am not badly hypoglycemic, but it is there.

I found this really interesting, and noticeable-
I had not expected it as such.

And on my high days of 5500 or 6500 I was eating many, many carbs-
roughly 45% carb, 45% fat , 10% protein.
And I would eat nearly all that food in a 5 hour window first thing in the morning- ie, 5000- 6000 cals in 5 hrs.

My theory was that the intensive feeding forced the body to adapt, and become better at digesting and blood sugar response;
or maybe something else is at play here,
I dont know...
Hi Nola! Glad you're here. Your woe is so interesting! Wow, do you do intense exercise most days? Like a body-builder or something? Because if not, that is amazing that you've become adapted to that many calories!! Hey, if it works then yayy - look at all you get to enjoy

I would like to prod my metabolism to eventually let me eat at least 2000 calories without gain. It would probably help if I got back into my exercise, lol. All in due time...

What you've said about calorie cycling helping seems to hold true no matter how it's done. I mean, I've read on other sites where people said they cycled in all manner of ways and it gave them great benefit.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

*yells to an empty room* Helllooooo? Anyone there?

I am trying not to panic about the BS reading I just took. 136, 2hrs after cobb/pasta salad (has lots of protein & fats) & a large slice of cherry pie and regular coffee.

Like I said in another thread, now that I'm monitoring my BS, I have this little fear about eating between meals. Some of my numbers seem a little high to me 2 hours after eating although so far they do go on down in a little more time. And now this new number that I've caught!!

I'm getting concerned about how I've put my body through a constant or frequent insulin release by drinking beverages through the day or eating between meals. I guess you could say I'm just more aware and am trying to eat "square meals" rather than a little here, little there.

What do you think of this? Should I be concerned about "grazing"? Really, it's not even grazing that's the big thing with me, it's more like I'm always drinking something through the day.

It's good that I'm monitoring my BS, but now is it making me paranoid about eating as much as I used to, or drinking certain things between meals.

I'm not sure how much to eat, what to eat, or when to eat.

When I saw the BS reading, I almost had a panic attack. I'm new to this BS checking and it's doing something to me mentally. I shoulda been doing this for years, but better to start now than never. Not knowing can't be bliss in this situation.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Just took another reading. It's been 2 hours and 15 min. since I finished that meal and my BS is down to 109. Feeling more relieved now. I know it should be lower than this, but this is better than it sticking around up there or worse, going even higher.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Hi Nola! Glad you're here. Your woe is so interesting! Wow, do you do intense exercise most days? Like a body-builder or something? Because if not, that is amazing that you've become adapted to that many calories!! Hey, if it works then yayy - look at all you get to enjoy

I would like to prod my metabolism to eventually let me eat at least 2000 calories without gain. It would probably help if I got back into my exercise, lol. All in due time...

What you've said about calorie cycling helping seems to hold true no matter how it's done. I mean, I've read on other sites where people said they cycled in all manner of ways and it gave them great benefit.
Hi Sophie

I do train hard- 4 days a week intense exercise , and light walking or something on the other days.
And yep, kind of like a bodybuilder.

Exercise does help- but I believe you can get a good metabolism without it!
2000 calories seems a reasonable goal.

Stay on a Judd style plan and gradually raise calories..

I think calorie cycling can work in many formats- but personally I find an up day and a low day is more effective than trying to run too many low days together;
initially you may lose more weight with more low days, but over time I find it degrades the metabolism more and can lead to stalls, lowered metabolic rate and regain;
and especially so for women who have dieted a lot and have metabolisms that quickly respond to lowered calories by adapting and getting slower..

I also wonder if broader calorie ranges work better than closer ones;
ie ;
3000/1000
vs something like;
2300/1700
so- same overall calories, but a higher high and a lower low..

I have a theory that going higher on high days helps to jack the metabolism up more, and that you can get a away with a low low day, as long as you dont try to keep doing it every day!

And I am experimenting around to find out what works best for me.

rambling..

Last edited by nola baxter; 11-12-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Old 11-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi Sophie!!!

Sorry you were feeling anxious and nobody was around.

I would not panic over a 136 reading. It's not great, but you had pasta and cherry pie, so it's to be expected. What was your BG before eating?

A "normal" (non-diabetic) person's BG range is 80-120, so you're not that high over.
Mine would probably go up to 180-200 after a meal like you had.
BG can go all the way up to 600!!! Of course, that's coma territory...
but people with severe, poorly controlled diabetes may have readings in the 300-400s.
Does that give you a little perspective?

"Grazing", even if it's in the form of liquid calories, is hard on the liver.
I don't remember the exact mechanism, but I've read that it may cause fatty liver.

Dr. Bernstein (the diabetes guy) recommends waiting 5 hours between meals so that your BG isn't "compounded" by constant eating.
Dr. Kruse (the leptin guy) recommends waiting 4-5 hours between meals and is absolutely against snacking/caloric drinks between meals.
(A "snack" not being defined by how small the meal is, but by how long between other foods)

My understanding is that the longer you go without eating, the more likely you are to use up your circulating "sugar" and tap into your fat stores.
As long as your insulin levels are elevated, your cells won't be getting the message to release fat (insulin sends the message to store fat).
So I think avoiding snacking is always a good thing, but especially if you have blood sugar issues.

PS:
Remember that exercising/taking a walk--even just for 5-15 minutes--after a carby meal will help stabilize your blood sugar.
As that sugar is being released into your blood (and, as you've seen, it starts within 15 minutes of eating),
you will be using it up as energy, before it can be stored as fat. Takes the pressure off the insulin!!!

And, I know I had a lot of fun playing with my meter and seeing how high my BG went with certain foods and how long it took to come back down,
but if you are not taking insulin you don't need to test after eating.
In other words, if using a meter is stressing you out and you're not taking meds to correct your BG,
try to only use it to satisfy your curiosity about how foods affect you, and then stop before you get obsessed!
I found a great, compassionate, supportive diabetes doctor and he told me to only test in the morning (fasting BG).
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-12-2011 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Hi Nola,

I've been following both you and Mini for a number of months now, and am in awe of your persistence in finding the correct ratio for releasing fat/working out, etc.

I've seen that both of you have changed your ratios from time to time, and that has given me a lot to think about in a very positive way.

I've been doing Slow Burn on and off since August 09, and I'm so happy that I stayed with it. It's difficult, but short; and I appreciate the latter!

Just thought I'd let you know that I appreciate you coming into the JUDDD thread with your valuable opinions!

Sophie, sorry for the threadjack!!!

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi Sophie

I do train hard- 4 days a week intense exercise , and light walking or something on the other days.
And yep, kind of like a bodybuilder.

Exercise does help- but I believe you can get a good metabolism without it!
2000 calories seems a reasonable goal.

Stay on a Judd style plan and gradually raise calories..

I think calorie cycling can work in many formats- but personally I find an up day and a low day is more effective than trying to run too many low days together;
initially you may lose more weight with more low days, but over time I find it degrades the metabolism more and can lead to stalls, lowered metabolic rate and regain;
and especially so for women who have dieted a lot and have metabolisms that quickly respond to lowered calories by adapting and getting slower..

I also wonder if broader calorie ranges work better than closer ones;
ie ;
3000/1000
vs something like;
2300/1700
so- same overall calories, but a higher high and a lower low..

I have a theory that going higher on high days helps to jack the metabolism up more, and that you can get a away with a low low day, as long as you dont try to keep doing it every day!

And I am experimenting around to find out what works best for me.

rambling..
That's real interesting, and also goes along with what we try to do here at JUDDD - a wide spread between UD and DD.

Now that I'm in maintenance (I still can't believe it, lol) I may experiment with higher UD and keep DD around 500...

If you're rambling, then I love it! This kind of thing is very interesting to me, so feel free to talk all you like on it!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Hi Sophie!!!

Sorry you were feeling anxious and nobody was around.

I would not panic over a 136 reading. It's not great, but you had pasta and cherry pie, so it's to be expected. What was your BG before eating?

A "normal" (non-diabetic) person's BG range is 80-120, so you're not that high over.
Mine would probably go up to 180-200 after a meal like you had.
BG can go all the way up to 600!!! Of course, that's coma territory...
but people with severe, poorly controlled diabetes may have readings in the 300-400s.
Does that give you a little perspective?

"Grazing", even if it's in the form of liquid calories, is hard on the liver.
I don't remember the exact mechanism, but I've read that it may cause fatty liver.

Dr. Bernstein (the diabetes guy) recommends waiting 5 hours between meals so that your BG isn't "compounded" by constant eating.
Dr. Kruse (the leptin guy) recommends waiting 4-5 hours between meals and is absolutely against snacking/caloric drinks between meals.
(A "snack" not being defined by how small the meal is, but by how long between other foods)

My understanding is that the longer you go without eating, the more likely you are to use up your circulating "sugar" and tap into your fat stores.
As long as your insulin levels are elevated, your cells won't be getting the message to release fat (insulin sends the message to store fat).
So I think avoiding snacking is always a good thing, but especially if you have blood sugar issues.

PS:
Remember that exercising/taking a walk--even just for 5-15 minutes--after a carby meal will help stabilize your blood sugar.
As that sugar is being released into your blood (and, as you've seen, it starts within 15 minutes of eating),
you will be using it up as energy, before it can be stored as fat. Takes the pressure off the insulin!!!

And, I know I had a lot of fun playing with my meter and seeing how high my BG went with certain foods and how long it took to come back down,
but if you are not taking insulin you don't need to test after eating.
In other words, if using a meter is stressing you out and you're not taking meds to correct your BG,
try to only use it to satisfy your curiosity about how foods affect you, and then stop before you get obsessed!
I found a great, compassionate, supportive diabetes doctor and he told me to only test in the morning (fasting BG).
Wow, you're like an angel to the rescue, PJ! You've made me feel so much better. I will read and re-read what you said and let it absorb, then let you know how I"m doing. Gosh, I SO appreciate you and what you've taken the time to write for me!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #72
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post

Not at all! "Hijack" this one all you like, I KNOW we are all savvy enough to keep multiple topics going in here, and we'll all learn something and have some fun too!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Nola,

I've been following both you and Mini for a number of months now, and am in awe of your persistence in finding the correct ratio for releasing fat/working out, etc.

I've seen that both of you have changed your ratios from time to time, and that has given me a lot to think about in a very positive way.

I've been doing Slow Burn on and off since August 09, and I'm so happy that I stayed with it. It's difficult, but short; and I appreciate the latter!

Just thought I'd let you know that I appreciate you coming into the JUDDD thread with your valuable opinions!

Thanks Gracie!

It is nice to hear that what I say can be of use to someone else.
I follow Mini a lot too..

Do you find the slow burn has given you good results?

Last edited by nola baxter; 11-13-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's real interesting, and also goes along with what we try to do here at JUDDD - a wide spread between UD and DD.

Now that I'm in maintenance (I still can't believe it, lol) I may experiment with higher UD and keep DD around 500...

If you're rambling, then I love it! This kind of thing is very interesting to me, so feel free to talk all you like on it!
lol..

maintenance is a nice place to be

try the higher up day and let us know how it goes!

I think there is this potential to increase the metabolism through calorie cycling ,
and if a few people experiment around it could give us a picture as to the best way to go about it,
ie ;
is increasing UD calories a better strategy than increasing DD calories?
or/and better than increasing both UD and DD calories by a smaller amount??

My mental theory is that the higher your up day, the better chance your body has to get adapted to higher calorie intake;
and keeping the low days low will enable any excess fat/calories from the high intake to get dropped off in the meantime (hopefully)..

If people can downgrade their metabolisms, they should equally be able to upgrade them in the other direction- though I think its best to be done slowly, gradually, and carefully to avoid/minimize possible fat gain.

Hmm.. more thread jacking..lol

Last edited by nola baxter; 11-13-2011 at 02:46 PM..
Old 11-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #75

Quote:
lol..

maintenance is a nice place to be

try the higher up day and let us know how it goes!

I think there is this potential to increase the metabolism through calorie cycling ,
and if a few people experiment around it could give us a picture as to the best way to go about it,
ie ;
is increasing UD calories a better strategy than increasing DD calories?
or/and better than increasing both UD and DD calories by a smaller amount??

My mental theory is that the higher your up day, the better chance your body has to get adapted to higher calorie intake;
and keeping the low days low will enable any excess fat/calories from the high intake to get dropped off in the meantime (hopefully)..

If people can downgrade their metabolisms, they should equally be able to upgrade them in the other direction- though I think its best to be done slowly, gradually, and carefully to avoid/minimize possible fat gain.

Hmm.. more thread jacking..lol
Great minds and all that!

This is pretty much what I did too. Maintaining by lifting the UD calories even higher, but not bringing the DD calories up too much... just enough to make the DD *comfortable*. LOL

Despite what Dr. J suggests, that's where I part ways in being his devotee (wink), I wasn't inclined to make most of the increase to the downside. I still very much advocate for the benefit to metabolism from strong cycling, like a piston.. pounding between the high and the low calorie ceilings.

That's why I also ignore his little permission to not worry about not eating up to your numbers on UDs if you don't want to. I'm kinda' of the strong opinion that there is an importance in folks getting in most all of their UD calories, most of the time, to keep that number bombarding the brain with how much food there is out in the world! Let the metabolism fires roar!

As they say, it's a free world, and we all get to make our own choices and interpret these ongoing studies and our own experiences and then apply it all as we wish to.

But it's nice for me to know that there is someone else who agrees with me on some of these points.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

This is pretty much what I did too. Maintaining by lifting the UD calories even higher, but not bringing the DD calories up too much... just enough to make the DD *comfortable*. LOL

Despite what Dr. J suggests, that's where I part ways in being his devotee (wink), I wasn't inclined to make most of the increase to the downside. I still very much advocate for the benefit to metabolism from strong cycling, like a piston.. pounding between the high and the low calorie ceilings.

That's why I also ignore his little permission to not worry about not eating up to your numbers on UDs if you don't want to. I'm kinda' of the strong opinion that there is an importance in folks getting in most all of their UD calories, most of the time, to keep that number bombarding the brain with how much food there is out in the world! Let the metabolism fires roar!
Yes! absolutely, I have to agree on all these points!

I think they are keys to the metabolism going up not down.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
How does one do JUDDD?
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Quote:
Do you find the slow burn has given you good results?
Nola,

Yes, it has given me good results, especially for strength. Muscle definition is good, but I always want more!

Back in '09 I used to have to depend on boosting myself up with my arms if I were to stoop! Now, my legs do the job on their own.

Also, back in 09, after having done S/B for 5 months, my glutes had developed to the point where they were pushing the fat up and I developed a butt that........as my daughter so graciously put it..........was in another zip code!
Of course I was weighing a lot more at the time and that was a big factor.

I started another round of HHCG and postponed my workouts which I now regret. So for the ensuing rounds, I did S/B throughout P2 without any problems.

Slow Burn is the only routine I've stayed with for any length of time. There's no boredom because of the weight progression.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Nola,

Yes, it has given me good results, especially for strength. Muscle definition is good, but I always want more!

Back in '09 I used to have to depend on boosting myself up with my arms if I were to stoop! Now, my legs do the job on their own.

Also, back in 09, after having done S/B for 5 months, my glutes had developed to the point where they were pushing the fat up and I developed a butt that........as my daughter so graciously put it..........was in another zip code!
Of course I was weighing a lot more at the time and that was a big factor.

I started another round of HHCG and postponed my workouts which I now regret. So for the ensuing rounds, I did S/B throughout P2 without any problems.

Slow Burn is the only routine I've stayed with for any length of time. There's no boredom because of the weight progression.
lol, my rear end has developed through weight-training too! round out the back..

Muscle definition comes primarily with leanness, and partly with genetics..
I always want more too- but it comes slowly to me, though I do have a good amount of muscle on my body.

It sounds like what you are doing suits you well.

Last edited by nola baxter; 11-14-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Nola, I am still blown by the 5000/6000 calorie day, do you mind sharing how you get to that many calories? Just really curious.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Back to the thread topic (lol):

FBG, week before starting JUDDD:
132, 130, 120, 127, 131, 132, 143 (131 avg)

First week of JUDDD:
131, 116, 125, 125, 117, 119, 122 (122 avg)

Fifth week of JUDDD:
103, 115, 108, 112, 103, 117, 97 (108 avg)
**This week is especially impressive because I forgot to take my 2nd Metformin pill 3 times (took 11 instead of 14)!

PS: Oh, and today's near-normal (non-diabetic) 97?
Yesterday I had a real bagel!
And probably about a pound of kabocha squash!

PPS: FBG= fasting blood glucose, taken within a few minutes of waking up.
The exciting thing about seeing this go down is it means my liver is no longer making (as much) glucose while I'm sleeping, and/or my body is using it up somehow,
and/or I'm becoming less insulin resistant.
This could be partly/wholly due to the Metformin, and not JUDDD; but I do believe JUDDD is helping it along!
When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I would take my BG before going to bed, and it would be higher in the morning--
meaning that my BG went up/stayed up even when I hadn't eaten for 10-12 hours (it should go down),
and if I was losing any fat, my liver was converting it to glucose (it's called hepatic gluconeogenesis), which probably was re-stored as fat.
Probably why I low-carbed for a year and saw pathetically little weight loss; even though I cut down on carbs, my liver was basically pouring "carbs" into my bloodstream!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-14-2011 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: PS, PPS
Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #82

Quote:

First week of JUDDD:

Fifth week of JUDDD:
**This week is especially impressive because I forgot to take my 2nd Metformin pill 3 times (took 11 instead of 14)!
I'm the person who doesn't know about this, but that looks awfully exciting and impressive to me as an uninformed person!

What IS the single number? Like an average throughout the day, or first reading of the day or what?

I'm pretty happy about this for you, because it looks like it would be a good thing.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

First week of JUDDD:

Fifth week of JUDDD:
Wow, that's so interesting and great results too! Glad you posted this.

Since you mentioned last about just taking morning reading, that's what I've been doing. I'm keeping track and I'll post results after so long too - see if there are any trends. Though I don't have the benefit of the "before" records like you do.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 11-14-2011 at 11:05 PM..
Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
Nola, I am still blown by the 5000/6000 calorie day, do you mind sharing how you get to that many calories? Just really curious.
Hi Kristi

Basically, it is a recreational eating day for me, so I eat whatever I desire the most, I dont try to go low-carb, or clean carb or anything in particular.
I do however avoid polyunsaturated fatty acids, and make a lot of the food myself .

At the moment I make a chocolate sauce pudding, and an apple/bread pudding, and eat both with a bottle of HWC;
these are my load day staples and I love them to bits!

I also eat cheese, chocolate, peanuts,
sometimes biscuits dipped in whipped cream,
sometimes a bit of cereal,
crackers and cheese, sometimes toast,
sometimes a shake,
and a few other peripheral things if they call to me.

So basically, a very high carb and high fat combo, some protein, but not a lot.

On ordinary lower calorie days I eat oats, rice, meats, veges, coconut cream, and a few other things - cleaner food.

I low-carbed for a couple of years, but found it to be of no advantage- it did not help me to lose weight, and it was not so good for heavy weight-training,
I did not get appetite suppression..
However, I did discover that eliminating grains fiber etc. lead to no gas,
digestive bloating ,discomfort etc..
so that was useful.
It was part of the key to understanding my gut issues, which are now pretty much gone.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Fifth week of JUDDD:
Sixth week of JUDDD:
113, 114, 92, 93, 116, 128, 96 (107 avg)
^3 readings in the 90s; I was pretty ecstatic about this!

7th week:
92, 126, 115, 129, 120, 119, 116 (117 avg)
^Was rather distressed about this week, and worried that I may not be able to continue JUDDD;
but now that I've posted, I see the average isn't too bad.
Also, it was TOM; and I have read that hormones can affect BG.

Finally took my own advice to lower BG with exercise:
Last night I had 2 pieces of pizza (Sicilian/thick crust).
A couple hours later my BG was 156.
I got on my elliptical machine and walked at a leisurely pace for about 40-45 minutes (1 X-Files episode, lol).
Checked right after and BG was 103.

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-01-2011 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 12-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not going to do a full update, but I think I have to start eating more frequently on DDs.
I was "pushing" it a little, going 5-7 hours without eating since I eat an UD dinner on my DDs...tried to just wait until I could eat a real meal...my hands got a little shaky, checked my BG and it was 80! Now, in a way, this is exciting, because it's a "normal" reading for a non-diabetic person; my BG is almost always around or over 100. So, as far as I know, this means I am becoming less insulin-resistant.

BUT--once I started eating, I just couldn't get full!
I ate a 400-600 calorie meal with lots of protein and fat, and an hour later still wanted to eat and eat and eat...and I did. Eggs, cottage cheese, coffee & cream, kielbasa, popcorn, cookies...I got kind of freaked out & desperate, almost.

This has only happened 2 or 3 times. I'll try eating more frequently and cutting back on UD carbs...I've gotten a bit careless, eating chips, crackers, beans, sweets. It starts out once or twice a week, then becomes once a day, then creeps into almost every meal.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Not going to do a full update, but I think I have to start eating more frequently on DDs.
I was "pushing" it a little, going 5-7 hours without eating since I eat an UD dinner on my DDs...tried to just wait until I could eat a real meal...my hands got a little shaky, checked my BG and it was 80! Now, in a way, this is exciting, because it's a "normal" reading for a non-diabetic person; my BG is almost always around or over 100. So, as far as I know, this means I am becoming less insulin-resistant.

BUT--once I started eating, I just couldn't get full!
I ate a 400-600 calorie meal with lots of protein and fat, and an hour later still wanted to eat and eat and eat...and I did. Eggs, cottage cheese, coffee & cream, kielbasa, popcorn, cookies...I got kind of freaked out & desperate, almost.

This has only happened 2 or 3 times. I'll try eating more frequently and cutting back on UD carbs...I've gotten a bit careless, eating chips, crackers, beans, sweets. It starts out once or twice a week, then becomes once a day, then creeps into almost every meal.
Wow, thanks for this update, PJ! That's so awesome your BS readings are in the normal range! So you think the ravenous-ness was due to an abundance of refined carbs sneaking back in? And going too long between meals?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wow, thanks for this update, PJ! That's so awesome your BS readings are in the normal range! So you think the ravenous-ness was due to an abundance of refined carbs sneaking back in? And going too long between meals?
Yes, and yes.

I had some coffee with cream between breakfast (11 am, 210 calories) and lunch (4pm, 215 calories), and felt better. Then calmly started UD at 7pm.

But...going too long between meals shouldn't be a problem, with all this "fuel" I have stored all over my body!
And I have no problem going 5-7 hours between meals on UDs.

So, I'm guessing this could be that, because I've been eating carbs, my body has gotten used to that source of fuel and is being a brat about switching over to fat-burning/getting into ketosis.

And/or maybe I just have to get used to these new levels. To me, it feels like low BG...terrible!

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-18-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Old 12-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Sixth week of JUDDD:

Finally took my own advice to lower BG with exercise:
Last night I had 2 pieces of pizza (Sicilian/thick crust).
A couple hours later my BG was 156.
I got on my elliptical machine and walked at a leisurely pace for about 40-45 minutes (1 X-Files episode, lol).
Checked right after and BG was 103.
I am glad that the exercise helped, but I would be concerned about eating anything that spiked my blood sugar that high after a couple of hours. Despite the fact that your fasting numbers are looking FAB, I would worry that you are having higher highs and lower lows because of carb intake. Just something to think about! This also accounts for the hunger.

I was also excited when I found out how many carbs I could theoretically eat on JUDDD without anything bad happening to my blood sugar. But keep in mind that as diabetics, we are not only insulin resistant, but we have beta cell burnout. Bascially we became diabetic because our pancreas had to overproduce insulin to keep up with that resistance to the point where our cells started to die (insulin producing cells). The more we pump the body full of carby foods, the more insulin we have to produce to deal with those, and the more cells will die...leaving us (eventually) insulin dependent...which is NOT fun or safe if it can be avoided.

That is not to say that you can't eat more carbs than you did on a normal LC diet and be safe. Eating something with a few carbs at night may also help that fasting number. But when I consider what is safe and healthy for a diabetic to do every day, I think about Dr. Richard Bernstein, and his diet guidelines. I think (personally) that we need to stick to lower carb levels to conserve our pancreas. And since we can't monitor blood glucose readings every second of every day, I prefer to stick to foods I know won't raise them beyond acceptable levels.

You may be experiencing low blood sugar symptoms because your blood sugars are normalizing even further, or, because you are having higher highs and lower lows. I *really* don't want to be a bubble burster, but I had to say it, as a fellow diabetic and someone who lives with the same crappy disease every day

Now, I will never dispute that the fasting portion of JUDDD is not fabulous for a diabetic!! Many diabetics practice intermittent fasting with great results. What I worry about is when people fast with too high a carb intake...because that produces the hunger you speak of (this is why I could not continue the non LC juddd) and the low blood sugar symptoms. Your body will send out too much insulin to deal with what you do eat, and create a need to eat again before you are ready for it (since it is a DD) and possibly low blood sugar, too.

I don't have any problems on DDs since I changed to a lower carb level. When I was doing 'normal' JUDDD I was RAVENOUS on DDs after the first few days. I felt shaky too. I do not anymore. I am not saying this is for everyone, but diabetics really have to watch the carbs for different reasons than non-diabetics. I hope that you don't mind that I am sharing my experiences!

Good luck with it all and I wish you continued success!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I don't mind at all--I'm quite grateful!

And I agree, I have to watch those carbs!!!
It started with, after a year of NOT having them, things like a couple crackers with my tuna salad, a quiche with crust , half a sweet potato...and I didn't get tired or get that pounding heartbeat I used to, so it progressed to pizza, some rice and paratha or naan with my curries, and (homemade) Mexican food...all those things I'd missed.

"I would worry that you are having higher highs and lower lows because of carb intake."
I agree...however, I have only had "the shakes" towards the end of DDs, and only after not eating for over 4 hours; my DDs have always been LC. So, while high carb on UDs is definitely not wise and I have started cutting back, I didn't seem to be having low lows (reactive hypoglycemia) after eating carbs. I don't know if that means anything...?

I feel like even though I wasn't losing weight on LC, the fact that I no longer had that desperate hunger was a HUGE benefit, almost an accomplishment, and I don't want it to come back! Right now it's been over an hour since I woke up (12 hours since I last ate), and I am a little hungry but not desperately...this is how I like to feel!

Oh, and, if you don't mind, could you tell me why "eating something with a few carbs at night may also help that fasting number"? I read another post recently on the main forum stating that diabetics can "handle carbs better later in the day", and I can't figure out why this would be! Unless it has something to do with hepatic gluconeogenesis...will having enough glucose from food while you're sleeping keep your liver from making more?

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-19-2011 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: punctuation