Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
Stats: 325/293.8/150
WOE: low carb
My blood sugar is running higher since starting JUDDD, but I think it has more to do with a recent reduction in my metformin dosage. I was against it, but doc insisted. I will be back later to post more of my info.
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Thanks Synger & SDS! I needed a refresher in this stuff!

Years ago I was having symptoms and my GP had me check blood sugar. I did it for a while and it was always normal, but I haven't checked or thought about it too much since at least 2009! I hope to get my supplies soon and start checking out of interest.

I wish the testing strips were cheaper! I have a number of expired ones left so when I do get new ones I will test with the old ones right after and see what happens when they are 2 years expired
Tell me about it, those suckers cost a fortune! I get 2 bottles free every year (150 strips). That isn't a lot. I can't really afford to buy a lot of extra ones either, since I am now a student. So I am really trying to ration them and test when I KNOW there is a risk of higher blood sugar...and not when I know there is not (tried and tested food/meals). So far so good.

JUDDD is riskier territory (I have chosen to eat more carbs than I did previously) but I am still trying to make good choices (whole foods and fiber, not sugars and empty starches) when I do eat them. If I eat bread, it is WHOLE grain danish rye (which makes the whole wheat you get in the states look like fluffy white bread! I hated the stuff when I first moved here but like it now! Strangely after a over a year of LC I have no desire to eat refined wheat products like white bread.) If I eat fruit, it is lower glycemic fruit. Anyhow, point is, I'm trying to be smart about the carb choices I make and hope that I do not see a negative impact on my blood sugar levels.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK...So 1 hour after danish meatballs (contain flour), pumpkin and a few dark chocolate covered cashews, blood sugar is 117.

Let's see what it does after 2 hours...
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Wow Stardust what an interesting journey. I am just starting out and am so interested to see how well JUDDD is working for you, with so many extra carbs. May I ask how much you have lost since you started.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Wow Stardust what an interesting journey. I am just starting out and am so interested to see how well JUDDD is working for you, with so many extra carbs. May I ask how much you have lost since you started.
I started one week ago and have lost 5 pounds. I have TOM right now so there will be (hopefully) further losses soon! GOOD to see you Kissa!!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #36

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
5 pounds in a week is extraordinary. Good for you.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I just realized I could buy a self-test for A1C! I have been curious about what those numbers would be, and since it averages over a few months at a time, I could get a good idea of what it was on my LC plan (have been on JUDDD about 1 month now).

Then I could test again after I've been on JUDDD a couple more months just to compare.

Does this sound like a good idea?
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

OK, I just did my first A1C test and the result was 4.4

Anyone wanna give me some feedback?

According to the chart and information, between 4 and 6.0 is "non-diabetic" range. Approximately half the score comes from the last 30 days. The whole test covers the last 2 - 3 months.

I've been JUDDD for 1 month exactly. Before that was LC (<30 grams daily).
Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #39
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
According to Dr. Bernstein, 4.5 or below in an A1c is what we should try for as diabetics?

That's fantastic news Sophie! :thumbsup:

Stardust 117 on the meatballs sounds really excellent. What was it at 2hrs?
pooticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow...4.4 is quite good, but you can't take it as an overall indicator of your blood sugar levels, especially if you are reintroducing carbs. If you were eating low carb normally and checking blood sugars regularly, I'd say that is a GREAT A1c! And it is! The only risk is that it is an average. So if you are spiking after eating carbs and then dropping low (due to a the huge insulin load required to deal with the carbs) a low A1c could be misleading!

I'd take it as a good sign, and be happy about it. But I'd also get some strips and start monitoring your blood sugars with some regularity, to rule out the possibility that you are having spikes and drops!

Hope that it is just a good number for you, though!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #41
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow, great point SD. I didn't even consider that scenario on the A1c!! :crap:
pooticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you Pooticus & SDS!

That is so helpful, SDS, I know I really need to get those test strips. I won't go into complaints about the cost because I should just be thankful I don't have to test many times per day the rest of my life like many diabetics. I just want to test and see how my food on JUDDD is affecting my system, like you said, are there big spikes and big drops?

I will pick up those strips by tomorrow. I may just have to buy a new kit because my old meter won't turn on - I'm sure it's the batteries are long dead, but I wonder how accurate it will be having sat there unused for 2 years.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
I may just have to buy a new kit because my old meter won't turn on - I'm sure it's the batteries are long dead, but I wonder how accurate it will be having sat there unused for 2 years.
I don't think it should matter if your meter is old.
But sometimes you can get a free meter from your doctor, if you really want a new one.

I'd look into the cost of strips before buying a new meter.
Some strips cost about $1 each, others cost 10, 20, or 30 cents.

The most accurate cheap ones that I have found are the Accu-Chek Aviva. I buy the strips on eBay for about 30 cents each.

Another brand that is relatively cheap and seems to be accurate is Relion, available at Walmart.

The absolutely cheapest I have found is one called Vocal Point (10 cents/strip) BUT they don't seem to be very accurate. I have tested from the same drop of blood, 5 seconds later, and gotten readings that vary by 30-40 points!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #44

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Wow...4.4 is quite good, but you can't take it as an overall indicator of your blood sugar levels, especially if you are reintroducing carbs. If you were eating low carb normally and checking blood sugars regularly, I'd say that is a GREAT A1c! And it is! The only risk is that it is an average. So if you are spiking after eating carbs and then dropping low (due to a the huge insulin load required to deal with the carbs) a low A1c could be misleading!

I'd take it as a good sign, and be happy about it. But I'd also get some strips and start monitoring your blood sugars with some regularity, to rule out the possibility that you are having spikes and drops!

Hope that it is just a good number for you, though!
I am so uneducated on this. I thought *spikes and drops* were just what normally happened in a normal body, acting normally. I guess I just think of a person eating whatever, the meal causing a rise in BS, triggering the increase in insulin output to take care of it, and then it's somewhat steady until the next time the person eats some food.

(And the whole thought behind not eating little snacks throughout the day was the findings that it's probably best not to keep demanding more insulin release to have to deal with ongoing feeding, even in small nibbles. Like, it's better to have periods of not needing insulin than it is to have constant insulin called for.)

I seem to never quite understand all of this.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I don't think it should matter if your meter is old.
But sometimes you can get a free meter from your doctor, if you really want a new one.

I'd look into the cost of strips before buying a new meter.
Some strips cost about $1 each, others cost 10, 20, or 30 cents.

The most accurate cheap ones that I have found are the Accu-Chek Aviva. I buy the strips on eBay for about 30 cents each.

Another brand that is relatively cheap and seems to be accurate is Relion, available at Walmart.

The absolutely cheapest I have found is one called Vocal Point (10 cents/strip) BUT they don't seem to be very accurate. I have tested from the same drop of blood, 5 seconds later, and gotten readings that vary by 30-40 points!
Thanks, PJ, I went ahead and bought a new meter - ReliOn, and it has much cheaper test strips than the other monitor I had.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Pat, I don't understand as much as I should about it.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

OK, finally got the supplies!!

I had a bowl of cold cereal with whole milk about 9:00 or so and then ate again about 11:30.

At 11:30, I ate a homemade bacon, egg & cheese muffin. Approx. 29 carbs.

Got the meter and stuff, came home and tested at 1:30, so 2 hours post...

Reading was 85.

As far as how I was feeling around the time of testing, a little bit feeling like the sugar might be on the low side... slightest bit of light-headedness and need for something "sweet". That may have just been from rushing around. I'm having a diet Dr. Pepper on the couch right now and am fine.

So should I test at the 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour mark after the next meal or ?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I am so uneducated on this. I thought *spikes and drops* were just what normally happened in a normal body, acting normally.
It's really the range of spikes and drops that's important,
and that varies from a "healthy" carb response and hypo/hyperglycemia and diabetes, etc

For example, a "normal" person's blood sugar will be around 80 fasting/between meals and not go much above 115-120 even after a high-carb meal.

My blood sugar easily goes up to 180-200 after the same meal or even just 1/2 a bagel (or it did, before JUDDD; it seems to be less sensitive now).
Other diabetics I know have their blood sugar go into the 300s or 400s,
then may plummet to 60 or 40...

So while, yes, some spikes and drops are normal,
a "normal" range is about 40 points,
not 100 or 200!!! HTH!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
At 11:30, I ate a homemade bacon, egg & cheese muffin. Approx. 29 carbs.

Got the meter and stuff, came home and tested at 1:30, so 2 hours post...

Reading was 85.
So should I test at the 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour mark after the next meal or ?
If you're testing how a certain food affects your BG, you should actually test before you eat and every 15-30 minutes after eating.

In 2 hours, your BG could return to normal but you will have no idea how high it went.

I don't test as frequently anymore, but I found I would have my highest readings about 30-60 minutes after a high-carb food.

And, while 85 is a great reading, if your BG was normally 95-100 (for example) before eating, 85 would actually be a low reading, indicating that you had a big insulin release after eating followed by a hypoglycemic reaction.

For example, if I started eating at 12 and finished eating at 12:15, I would test at:
12:00 (before eating)
12:30 (+15)
12:45 (+15)
1:15 (+30)
1:45 (+30)
2:15 (+30...2 hrs total)

Every 15 minutes would be ideal, but that gets expensive!
For me personally, just testing 2 hrs post prandial would tell me nothing because my BG usually gets back to/near normal by then.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #50

Quote:
It's really the range of spikes and drops that's important,
and that varies from a "healthy" carb response and hypo/hyperglycemia and diabetes, etc

For example, a "normal" person's blood sugar will be around 80 fasting/between meals and not go much above 115-120 even after a high-carb meal.

My blood sugar easily goes up to 180-200 after the same meal or even just 1/2 a bagel (or it did, before JUDDD; it seems to be less sensitive now).
Other diabetics I know have their blood sugar go into the 300s or 400s,
then may plummet to 60 or 40...

So while, yes, some spikes and drops are normal,
a "normal" range is about 40 points,
not 100 or 200!!! HTH!!!
OK, thanks for explaining this yet again to me. I think I finally have it this time. Yes, ups and downs are perfectly normal - that is how it is designed to work and how it does work - but big ups and downs are the troublesome ones, and a sign that something is very off.

It sounds like in the normal body, there never is a big spike because it's all been taken care of before anything has ever had a chance to soar that high, and there never is a great low, because everything has been stabilized and is done before there's been such an outpouring of insulin as to ever cause an opposing crash reaction. Thanks again.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
If you're testing how a certain food affects your BG, you should actually test before you eat and every 15-30 minutes after eating.

In 2 hours, your BG could return to normal but you will have no idea how high it went.

I don't test as frequently anymore, but I found I would have my highest readings about 30-60 minutes after a high-carb food.

And, while 85 is a great reading, if your BG was normally 95-100 (for example) before eating, 85 would actually be a low reading, indicating that you had a big insulin release after eating followed by a hypoglycemic reaction.

For example, if I started eating at 12 and finished eating at 12:15, I would test at:
12:00 (before eating)
12:30 (+15)
12:45 (+15)
1:15 (+30)
1:45 (+30)
2:15 (+30...2 hrs total)

Every 15 minutes would be ideal, but that gets expensive!
For me personally, just testing 2 hrs post prandial would tell me nothing because my BG usually gets back to/near normal by then.
Wow, you're teaching me a lot! Thank you!

OK, I will try to do this kind of test at dinner tonight.

I have a question though. What about when you're constantly sipping drinks throughout the day, like black coffee, hot tea (plain) or a diet drink? Do you need to wait a length of time for that to clear out of your system?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wow, you're teaching me a lot! Thank you!

OK, I will try to do this kind of test at dinner tonight.

I have a question though. What about when you're constantly sipping drinks throughout the day, like black coffee, hot tea (plain) or a diet drink? Do you need to wait a length of time for that to clear out of your system?
I wouldn't worry about it, since there is no cream or sugar added.
Some sources say that caffeine affects BG, but if you're constantly sipping,
I think it would take too long to clear out of your system (12-24 hours) for it to make a difference in your testing.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it, since there is no cream or sugar added.
Some sources say that caffeine affects BG, but if you're constantly sipping,
I think it would take too long to clear out of your system (12-24 hours) for it to make a difference in your testing.
Thank you again!

Here comes the testing...

It's been 4 hours since I ate. Feeling hungry and a bit like I felt around the time I tested earlier - slight shakiness. I want food!

Below are the times and the results in bold. Times are as close to 15 min. as I could make them.

Ate from about 3:58 p.m. to 4:10 p.m.

1 c. Hormel Vegetarian chili
1 grilled cheese sandwich made from 2 slices Nickell 35 calorie bread and 2 slices of processed cheese
1/2 Pure Protein Chocolate Chip bar

Calories: 514
Fat: 14 g.
Carbs: 66 g.
Protein: 33 g.

3:45: 83
Ate from about 3:58 - 4:10 p.m.
4:25: 98
4:40: 101
4:55: 98
5:10: 105
5:25: 106
5:40: 98
5:55: 111
6:10: 114

So it took some ups and downs and then stayed up?

What do I do now?

Last edited by sophiethecat; 11-10-2011 at 03:22 PM..
Old 11-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

This has me a little freaked, so I just tested again at 6:23 p.m. and it's at 100.

I don't know what to think of these results!!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Looks to me like you started in the normal range, and stayed within 25 points of where you began. Pretty normal reaction.

I'm pre-Diabetic. I start normal, but if I have a lot of carbs I can get as high as 50 points higher than my starting reading. Then I plunge down quickly (and feel sleepy and irritable, so would go eat again).

When I restrict carbs to a moderate level, it evens out those rises and falls so they look more like yours... and I don't have the sleepies and *****ies as much.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sophie, that looks pretty normal to me--
31 points difference for 66g carbs;
to put that in perspective, 1g carb can raise blood sugar 5 points for a severe diabetic--
but check with your doctor if you want some professional reassurance!

If you are concerned about getting your BG down more quickly after a meal,
you could take a walk or do some other light exercise.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Looks to me like you started in the normal range, and stayed within 25 points of where you began. Pretty normal reaction.

I'm pre-Diabetic. I start normal, but if I have a lot of carbs I can get as high as 50 points higher than my starting reading. Then I plunge down quickly (and feel sleepy and irritable, so would go eat again).

When I restrict carbs to a moderate level, it evens out those rises and falls so they look more like yours... and I don't have the sleepies and *****ies as much.
Thank you, Synger, I feel better about it now since you said that. I think between my poor stuck fingers (I shouldn't complain!) and ending with the final high level, I got worried and needing some reassurance!

I am re-reading through this whole thread to learn more and then I'm going to that bloodsugar 101 site and learn more.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sophie, that looks pretty normal to me--
31 points difference for 66g carbs;
to put that in perspective, 1g carb can raise blood sugar 5 points for a severe diabetic--
but check with your doctor if you want some professional reassurance!

If you are concerned about getting your BG down more quickly after a meal,
you could take a walk or do some other light exercise.
Oh thank you PJ, there is so much I need to learn!!

That's good to know about the exercise, I just sat around the whole time I did that test, reading here, waiting for the next *stick!* I should get up and move, lol.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nola baxter
Hiya

My name is Nola.
I lurk here because I am interested in different versions of calorie cycling and how it works for people.

I dont do Judd as such,
but for 3 weeks this year I ate 5500/1500,
and then for another 3 weeks 6500/1500,
which are Judd like ratios in fact.

After the second cycle , I noticed my digestion seemed improved;
and my hypoglycemic type responses had improved.
ie, I felt my blood sugar reactions had noticeably improved.
I am not badly hypoglycemic, but it is there.

I found this really interesting, and noticeable-
I had not expected it as such.

And on my high days of 5500 or 6500 I was eating many, many carbs-
roughly 45% carb, 45% fat , 10% protein.
And I would eat nearly all that food in a 5 hour window first thing in the morning- ie, 5000- 6000 cals in 5 hrs.

My theory was that the intensive feeding forced the body to adapt, and become better at digesting and blood sugar response;
or maybe something else is at play here,
I dont know...
nola baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola baxter View Post
Hiya

My name is Nola.
I lurk here because I am interested in different versions of calorie cycling and how it works for people.

I dont do Judd as such,
but for 3 weeks this year I ate 5500/1500,
and then for another 3 weeks 6500/1500,
which are Judd like ratios in fact.

After the second cycle , I noticed my digestion seemed improved;
and my hypoglycemic type responses had improved.
ie, I felt my blood sugar reactions had noticeably improved.
I am not badly hypoglycemic, but it is there.

I found this really interesting, and noticeable-
I had not expected it as such.

And on my high days of 5500 or 6500 I was eating many, many carbs-
roughly 45% carb, 45% fat , 10% protein.
And I would eat nearly all that food in a 5 hour window first thing in the morning- ie, 5000- 6000 cals in 5 hrs.

My theory was that the intensive feeding forced the body to adapt, and become better at digesting and blood sugar response;
or maybe something else is at play here,
I dont know...
Am I completely lost here? Is this saying that you consume 5000 to 6000 calories IN A SINGLE DAY? Perhaps I'm not understanding this correctly.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote