Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
So sorry to hear about Miss Cleo today. Hoping you can help her and sending positive thoughts to you both.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm so darned sorry to read this, and am now saying a prayer that the kidney flush helps a lot and you have your Miss Cleo for quite awhile longer.

Miss you, Beeb. Hugs for you, and give one of them to your dear dog from me.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Hi Beeb..been thinking of you and Miss C alot.

One of my cats had kidney failure...my littlest girlie cat, called Pepsi. She wouldnt eat or drink, and the vet told us it was kidney failure. We didnt know if she would make it...but after her flush, she pulled through...and is still with us 3 years later.
She does drink more than the other cats, and we bought an electric drinking fountain for her, with filters...so she can get the freshest water possible. Animals love running water...and will drink more this way.
Make sure she has nothing with raisens in..we were told that these are really bad for cats and dogs with kidney problems.
Hugs to you both!
Jo
xx

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Beeb,
So sorry to hear this. My elderly pit bull, Tiva (16 years) also has kidney failure (chronic not acute), and so far it's been very manageable. You typically work with your vet on a low phosphorus (not phosphates) diet, and the only ones that are actually available in the US are by prescription only, unless you decide to do a home-cooked diet (but work closely with your vet on this, because it's critical to get the electrolytes right). Certain supplements are also valuable: omega 3 fatty acids in particular. There are lots of medical options available as well, (ie, phosphate binders, calcitrol, sub-Q fluids, ACE inhibitors) as kidney failure becomes more advanced, and your vet will teach you how to do a variety of treatments if you wish to do them (ie, giving your dog subcutanous fluids to keep him hydrated, etc).

Yahoo has a couple of excellent groups for people whose dogs have kidney disease.
And this website has a huge amount of valuable information: DogAware.com Health: Medical Treatment for Dogs with Kidney Disease

Chronic kidney failure isn't a death sentence in its early stages, and dogs can live good lives for years with it. If your dog has acute kidney failure, it's good to check for causes. If you live in an area with ticks, tick-borne diseases are very common, and they can bring about acute kidney failure (and until you treat the tick-borne disease with antibiotics, it's hard to deal with the secondary kidney failure).

The vet site explains the kidney flush (which is also called diuresis): Chronic Kidney Failure

Good luck!
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)

Oh, Beeb, I really hope the kidney flush helps. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes, because I can tell how much you love your Miss Cleo. I have had many beloved pets over the years, and each of them brought something special to the world with their personalities and the love they gave everyone around them. I really, really hope things improve with her....
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/187/170
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
My thoughts, my prayers, and possitive energy are being sent to you and Miss Cleo
michelle204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyInTX
Stats: 262/243.2/170
WOE: LC/ then JUDDD
Start Date: start JUDDD on 8/4/12
awwww Beeb...prayers for you at this difficult time!
AmyInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
praying for you and cleo beebs.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #39
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I have had a chance to read all of this thread and the outpouring of , and has made me speechless. I know that our JUDDD family is wonderful and I can truly say I know many angels on earth now, also.

Thank you all so much for the thoughts, prayers and encouragement for us to stay positive and for the advice and links that I know will be a wealth of information for us in the days ahead.

Cleo starts the flush on Monday and will be home with me on Wednesday. I will know so much more than and have lots of questions for my wonderful Vet (which he is). I have started her on a diet I researched on several online sites for her condition and tonight she ate a very nice meal of burger, egg whites, and pasta with a 1000mg of fish oil thrown in for good measure. She ate everything, but she did leave a bit of the pasta behind (guess an English Beagle may leave some pasta behind ) It was very encouraging to see her eat and enjoy it. Even asked for a snack today which she hasn't done in a few days. Will find out the best food choices for her with my Vet, and as Tiva has suggested I went to the site she posted and where I got the menu/food info for what I am feeding her this weekend, thanks Tiva. For now I'm doing what I found to be the best for her food wise and to get her to eat this weekend. The Vet has the prescription food that Tiva also talked about and I'm going to talk to him about that.

Thank you ALL so much for everything! Seeing all your posts and knowing you all are for us is a miracle in itself!! I will be posting more next week and can't wait to catch up with all my wonderful JUDDD BUDDDs!

We you ALL........Cleo and Linda

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 10-22-2011 at 07:04 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #40

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Oh Linda, I am so happy to hear she seems to be improving!!!! BIG HUGS to you BOTH. Please keep us updated as we care about you both very much.
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

The fact she has her appetite back speaks volumes! With animals, it is the first to go when they feel poorly...and the first to come back as they start to feel better.

I am sure the change in her diet will go far to heal her...look how changing our diets has healed us...in a wide variety of ways.

hugs to you both

jo
x
Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: addict1000
Stats: 201/190/150
WOE: LC-IF-JUDDD

Good to hear! It is hard to see little members of our family sick and hurting.

Prayers for peace and strength for you.

Shelley
addict1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #43

It sounds like you have enough good information now, a good plan, etc. to have reason to believe that sweet Miss Cleo can be with you for a good while yet. I think it's sounding pretty encouraging right now. Still sending out a prayer and my own strong wishes into the Universe for this good dog!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Such good news!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Beeb,
So sorry to hear this. My elderly pit bull, Tiva (16 years) also has kidney failure (chronic not acute), and so far it's been very manageable. You typically work with your vet on a low phosphorus (not phosphates) diet, and the only ones that are actually available in the US are by prescription only, unless you decide to do a home-cooked diet (but work closely with your vet on this, because it's critical to get the electrolytes right). Certain supplements are also valuable: omega 3 fatty acids in particular. There are lots of medical options available as well, (ie, phosphate binders, calcitrol, sub-Q fluids, ACE inhibitors) as kidney failure becomes more advanced, and your vet will teach you how to do a variety of treatments if you wish to do them (ie, giving your dog subcutanous fluids to keep him hydrated, etc).

Yahoo has a couple of excellent groups for people whose dogs have kidney disease.
And this website has a huge amount of valuable information: DogAware.com Health: Medical Treatment for Dogs with Kidney Disease

Chronic kidney failure isn't a death sentence in its early stages, and dogs can live good lives for years with it. If your dog has acute kidney failure, it's good to check for causes. If you live in an area with ticks, tick-borne diseases are very common, and they can bring about acute kidney failure (and until you treat the tick-borne disease with antibiotics, it's hard to deal with the secondary kidney failure).

The vet site explains the kidney flush (which is also called diuresis): Chronic Kidney Failure

Good luck!
Not to be intrusive in anyway, but I would love to hear what you do for you baby to keep him in good health and around so long with kidney problems. If it's not a problem could you PM me? If not, I totally understand and thank you so much for the info you have already given me in your post.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuvLatte
Stats: 135/141/123 @ 5'3" and 46 yo
WOE: LC on and off. Now whole foods & JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: 9/21/2011 w JUDDD at 145
I will definitely continue to pray for you and Miss Cleo!
LuvLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
Stats: 325/293.8/150
WOE: low carb
I am sorry about Miss Cleo, Linda. My dog is only 3 years old, but I would be devastated to lose her. They each have their own sweet personalities, don't they? It sounds like you are doing everything possible to help her. Sending prayers your way.
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #48

What a wonderful day we had today! Family was over for Birthday dinner (both DD and DS) and I made her some more of the food from the recipe I found on the site that Tiva had posted. Well, she ate it all up, and was looking for handouts at the table, which she never usually does. Thirst is down and so are bathroom visits. She had some "puppy" moments, too, chasing the family cat around the yard for a bit. She still is tired but not nearly as much as the last couple of days. She seems to be responding to the homemade food very well and will discuss this with Dr. Menez tomorrow. I'm going to miss for for the next 3 days but it the flush works and the diet can continue we will be golden!!

Will let you all know what the Dr. say tomorrow and thanks so much again for all the prayers and thoughts!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #49

Wow, Linda. This post ^ ^ ^ is SO good to read! I'll be waiting to hear what the vet says, but it sounds like the diet you're fixing for her is doing her good. Glad you guys had such a good time today, and that little Miss Cleo had fun too!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
So glad to hear Miss Cleo's feeling better! What a wonderful Mommy she has! for her continued improvement.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
What a wonderful day we had today! Family was over for Birthday dinner (both DD and DS) and I made her some more of the food from the recipe I found on the site that Tiva had posted. Well, she ate it all up, and was looking for handouts at the table, which she never usually does. Thirst is down and so are bathroom visits. She had some "puppy" moments, too, chasing the family cat around the yard for a bit. She still is tired but not nearly as much as the last couple of days. She seems to be responding to the homemade food very well and will discuss this with Dr. Menez tomorrow. I'm going to miss for for the next 3 days but it the flush works and the diet can continue we will be golden!!

Will let you all know what the Dr. say tomorrow and thanks so much again for all the prayers and thoughts!
That makes my heart happy!!! Thank the Lord!!!
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:45 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post

First post I read today, and it has made my heart glad! It sounds like things are regulating nicely inside miss Cleo, and she is feeling better for it!
You will miss her, but she will be getting just the treatment she needs, that along with your meals and love, will have her back to her old self.

Keep us posted Hun, thinking of you both!

Hugs
Jo
X
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rachelocity
WOE: Fitbit/My Fitness Pal
Start Date: Every day I'm shuffling
Sounds like she's turning the corner, and I'll send lots of healing prayers her way, and comforting prayers to you.
Rachelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: addict1000
Stats: 201/190/150
WOE: LC-IF-JUDDD
many thanks to God and all of His blessings.

So glad He cares for all of His creation! Great News!
addict1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I'm so glad she is feeling better today and I hope the next vet visit helps, too! I'm still thinking of you and your baby!!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #56

Update: She in now in the Vet Hospital getting her flush and will remain there until Thursday or maybe more days if needed. She did eat again this morning, which is good, but she is not drinking, which I thought would be good but really isn't according to Dr. Menez.

The diet I am giving her the Dr. said was a good one. I asked him to be honest with me today and if this was his dog would he be doing what we are doing and he said absolutely, this will give her a fighting chance and if he felt that it was a waste of time/money he would tell me, which he has done for me in the past. That made me feel a whole lot better and he is so honest I know that if it was not the right choice he would have told me. One of the FEW Dr. that money doesn't come first!

I am hoping to see her today and if I can't because they have surgery going on for another animal I will be there first thing tomorrow morning. My poor baby was so scared, and I'm just praying she is comfortable and feeling a little better. I am missing her, but at peace some knowing she is getting such great care.

Thanks all for the prayers , keep them coming, and thanks for being some of the best people I have been blessed to know!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
Linda, it sounds like she's getting great care. Know in your heart you are doing all you can for her. Another prayer just came your way.

Sheryl
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #58

Oh, Hon.. you know the prayers are still going strong. When we are told He knows of the fall of the smallest sparrow, we should be comforted to believe He also know of the plight of this little dog.

Of all the things that wrench at our heart, knowing that our fur friends don't know what's going on, don't know why we have taken them away from home and then left them. But I do take comfort in knowing that the vets and staff are always friendly and concerned and comforting to our frightened pets, so I do know they settle down and can relax and calm down.

I'm awfully concerned about this problem. Of course it isn't good. Very scary. I'm just keeping all good thoughts about this procedure and praying that it does a good job for this dog and gives her more time and good quality of life. It sounds like you have a great vet in this guy, so that's a real blessing.

Keep us posted with updates as you learn anything new! Hang in there.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #59

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Linda,

still praying for you and sweet Miss Cleo. Thanks for the update. I hope you are able to see her later on, but, as you say, if not, first thing tomorrow morning. Take comfort in knowing she is getting wonderful care. I KNOW how hard this is, and my heart aches for you.
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #60
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Still praying and you take care of yourself too!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote