Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
DD + exercise = more food?

I have seen on some other postings on other sites about JUDDD where it's said you can adjust the JUDDD calorie calculator daily according to your exercise level for a DD. In other words, if you exercise on a DD, you can change the exercise drop-down setting on the calculator and eat more.

I was just using the drop-down for my overall exercise (which is pretty much sedentary lately), but if I understand correctly, you can adjust it for days you exercise and therefore consume more calories on those DD?

Thoughts on this?
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
The calculator DOES adjust for exercise, but it works out cals for WEEKLY exercise.
I use the light exercise.. 1-3 times a week option, as I go to the gym 3x a week.
This gives me 1950 cals, compared to 1690 for the sedentary option.
IMO, this is a bit too generous....exercising 3 times a week doesn't burn 200 extra cals a day.... So I aim somewhere in the middle...at about 1800.

The juddd calc is very generous, I would recommend using a few online ones and getting an average.... this confirmed the 1800 number for me.

I know many only exercise on UD's but I have to work out on certain days, so every other week I work out on a DD! I do get a little hungrier.... but just keep mycals for before and after my workout...it has never made me feel tireder, sometimes just the opposite!
Hope this helPs
Hugs
Jo
X

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
What do you all do for exercise?

I was just talking about this in something I wrote. I love the gym!!!

I'd be nervous to train on a DD though, yikes. Maybe only work smaller parts?
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
How you approach this is completely up to you. You are correct that some people choose to *eat back* those exercise calories. So if the calculator or whatever instrument tells them that they have burned 800 calories in exercise, they choose to eat those 800 calories back again as extra food calories for the day. That way, they negate and erase the weight loss brought on by exercise.

If you are in maintenance, you wouldn't want your exercise to slowly but surely bring your weight down lower than you wanted to remain, so you'd *eat back* those lost exercising calories, to prevent weight loss.

If you are still wanting to lose weight, you would probably choose to not erase the weight loss benefit of your exercise program by eating the lost calories back again.

You'll have to decide whether to erase your exercise loss with food consumption, and that will probably be based on whether you are wanting to lose more weight or remain at your present level. It's sort of hard to realize very effective weight loss when you eat back the exercise calories for some reason. But in maintenance, it works very well.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

For me personally, I hit the weights hard for the body comp benefits.
But I feel JUDDDing will help create that deficit that is missing from the lack of intense cardio that has become nearly impossible for me to do.

I have degenerative cartilage in both knees. It sucks..but I'm finding ways to work around it!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
How you approach this is completely up to you. You are correct that some people choose to *eat back* those exercise calories. So if the calculator or whatever instrument tells them that they have burned 800 calories in exercise, they choose to eat those 800 calories back again as extra food calories for the day. That way, they negate and erase the weight loss brought on by exercise.

If you are in maintenance, you wouldn't want your exercise to slowly but surely bring your weight down lower than you wanted to remain, so you'd *eat back* those lost exercising calories, to prevent weight loss.

If you are still wanting to lose weight, you would probably choose to not erase the weight loss benefit of your exercise program by eating the lost calories back again.

You'll have to decide whether to erase your exercise loss with food consumption, and that will probably be based on whether you are wanting to lose more weight or remain at your present level. It's sort of hard to realize very effective weight loss when you eat back the exercise calories for some reason. But in maintenance, it works very well.
Ah, I see what you mean. It would be great for maintenance if someone wanted to eat that way. It's good to have that cleared up.

For me, I have no plans to do that anytime soon because I'm pretty much sedentary as of late
Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
I have a way to go to get to goal so I try not to eat back my exercise calories. I don't want to workout just to eat. I am trying to only work out on UD because I am afraid that I will not have enough energy on a DD. Yesterday was a DD though I felt pretty energetic so I may try eating on a DD to see how it goes, maybe adding in 100 or so calories but not all of my exercise calories. I usually burn about 350 on cardio and don't calculate weight training calories.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
I have a way to go to get to goal so I try not to eat back my exercise calories. I don't want to workout just to eat. I am trying to only work out on UD because I am afraid that I will not have enough energy on a DD. Yesterday was a DD though I felt pretty energetic so I may try eating on a DD to see how it goes, maybe adding in 100 or so calories but not all of my exercise calories. I usually burn about 350 on cardio and don't calculate weight training calories.
Dr. Johnson did recommend in his book that folks not exercise on their DDs, and only do their exercise on UDs. I haven't noticed many folks having to follow that recommendation though.

There is a lot of focus these days on what is called *fasted workouts* which specifically calls for exercising in the fasted empty state in order to cause the body to have to dip into stored FAT to fuel the exercise! And then, following the workout, the body is fed on some protein so that it can use that to rebuild muscle, bigger and better.

I haven't noticed much difference in exercising on either day. But then, I don't just kill myself with my exercise routine these days, so I'm probably not a very good one to listen to!

I'm pretty sure Shelly has done workouts in the fasted state, so she'd be one who could probably tell you more about them.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I train fasted!

Not because I think it's better, but because I'm just not hungry in the mornings after drinking coffee..

I take bcaas before training, then a whey shake or greek yogurt when I get home(normally 11am)
Then I wait til I'm hungry again and have another carby+protein meal..then the rest of the day is good fat, veggies and protein!

I trained fasted this morning actually AFTER a DD. I was just fine.

But everyone is different.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post

I take bcaas before training, then a whey shake or greek yogurt when I get home(normally 11am)
What is bcaas?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

Betty, sound like your fasted workout routine and then refeed after is working well for you.

I agree with you about exercise being a YMMV sort of thing for lots of folks. Mine is mostly just don't overeat before swimming a few laps.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I have seen on some other postings on other sites about JUDDD where it's said you can adjust the JUDDD calorie calculator daily according to your exercise level for a DD. In other words, if you exercise on a DD, you can change the exercise drop-down setting on the calculator and eat more.

I was just using the drop-down for my overall exercise (which is pretty much sedentary lately), but if I understand correctly, you can adjust it for days you exercise and therefore consume more calories on those DD?

Thoughts on this?
Sounds like too much work to me. I obsess over my food enough as it is!

I do my own "lazy JUDDD", in which I don't count calories on most very low calorie things (veggies, pickles, low-cal sauces, broth, vinegar, etc.) I figure I didn't get this size by overeating broccoli! I count pretty much anything that's more than 30 calories.

So long as I continue losing, I'm not too worried about the details. The flexibility of this plan is one of its strongest points for me.

I know that as I continue to lose, I'm sure to need to adjust to a stricter plan, and fewer calories. But for now, if I exercise it's just icing on the cake.. er.. it's just gravy... um... it's just an added benefit!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

ooh, I really like the idea of NOT counting veggie cals.

Although I can easily eat a pound of cabbage!!(for real!) Those cals actually add up!

BCAAs are branched chain amino acids..

Am I allowed to post links??
They have all sorts of benefits!
But basically have been shown to preserve lean muscle.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

I've thought about not counting certain low calorie foods such as veggies. In fact, as I was cooking some mushrooms and green onions for my scrambled egg beaters, I thought about not counting them. They added six calories to my meal. For now, I count them, but the one thing I don't count is black coffee. I never even bothered to look it up on ****** for some reason.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I've thought about not counting certain low calorie foods such as veggies. In fact, as I was cooking some mushrooms and green onions for my scrambled egg beaters, I thought about not counting them. They added six calories to my meal. For now, I count them, but the one thing I don't count is black coffee. I never even bothered to look it up on ****** for some reason.
some calculators have black coffee as zero and some as 2. so unless you are drinking it by the gallons even then it wouldn't do much damage.

i still count all my veggie calories. i love veggies and could definetily overeat on them. they are my primary food source on DD's so far. I am not big on food substitutes.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Sounds like too much work to me. I obsess over my food enough as it is!

I do my own "lazy JUDDD", in which I don't count calories on most very low calorie things (veggies, pickles, low-cal sauces, broth, vinegar, etc.) I figure I didn't get this size by overeating broccoli! I count pretty much anything that's more than 30 calories.

So long as I continue losing, I'm not too worried about the details. The flexibility of this plan is one of its strongest points for me.

I know that as I continue to lose, I'm sure to need to adjust to a stricter plan, and fewer calories. But for now, if I exercise it's just icing on the cake.. er.. it's just gravy... um... it's just an added benefit!

I count my veggies for sure on my DDs, as they are usually 50% to 80% of my calories on those days. And I try to hold a pretty tight rein on my DDs.

But I'm also very big on the *If it ain't broke.. don't fix it* way of dealing with diet, so if you're after weight loss, and you're seeing weight loss happening, what you're doing right now is working!

I've enjoyed your posts on LCF for awhile now. I'm glad you're here with us doing JUDDD. I'll bet you do wonderfully.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
I exercise on DDs. I hit the weights hard and only weight train on UDs because I want to eat more protein but I do fasted cardio workouts on DDs in the mornings. Usually a video, turbojam, kickboxing, something like that. I eat the same. I don't add more cals. If I get hungrie I just work thru it. It works great for me.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: avecrain
Stats: 240/197/160 (5'10, age 22)
WOE: juddd; DD 500 / UD 2400
Start Date: september 5, 2011
On DDs I usually go for a long walk, and I like to give my body something right when I come back, and I don't count that into my calorie total. I usually do either a tbsp of PB and a cup of milk or almond milk, or a hard boiled egg and milk, or something else low cal with protein and carbs. I don't count that food into my DD total, and I'm fine with that, I know I've burned twice as many calories as that in a 2 hour walk and that 2 hours is 2 hours that I'm not hungry or tempted to eat during the DD!
avecrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
When I was doing fast-5, on days where I did an intense cycle (16 mph, 40 to 60 miles), then I definitely had to eat a bit before I rode. I'd usually eat a little whey protein mixed with coconut oil just before intense exercise, and I didn't count those calories (about 100 cals). I'm walking and kayaking and cycling on DDs now, but not doing particularly vigorous endurance exercise (in part because the ski season hasn't yet started). I wouldn't eat the calories I burned, but I would take in some extra protein or fat if I needed it to complete a ski or ride or paddle.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
I always have better weight loss if I work out on my DD's. I jog though so I suppose that's intense enough to burn through some of my glycogen stores on my DD's - aiding weight loss and the need to dip into my fat stores...who knows. It works for me but I don't always do it either. However I stick to mostly 30-40% DD's because otherwise I binge at night. However I still average about a lb of weight loss each DD so that is pretty good for me since I have been on Atkins since Jan '10 and mostly have gained weight since I started! I have done IF before too and found I had trouble with overeating after the fast (I did 6pm to 6pm as that was all my schedule would allow). I didn't lose any weight that way. Weird! So exercising on a DD can be done. For some reason I don't find much of a dip in performance when I do (which is odd because on Atkins I would feel especially sluggish during my runs, 1-2 minutes per mile slower!). Sometimes I will make it a short HIIT workout just for fun. It doesn't exhaust me on a DD for some reason and helps me keep from eating late at night if I do the workout in the evening. However I do allow myself 100-200 more cals so I can keep my energy up...perhaps that is why my exercise on DD's doesn't get affected much??? Not sure.

Last edited by Buttercup204; 10-22-2011 at 10:41 AM..
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote