Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #301
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
A method and ingredients more than a recipe, calories vary by how much you use.
I love chicken and celery together so I will chop a boneless, skinless chicken breast and toss it with sliced celery, celery salt, garlic powder, a little soy sauce or aminos and pepper and microwave-steam (In a steamer) for 3 minutes or until it's cooked through and very moist.
A 4oz chicken breast and 1 cup celery is only about 135 cals, so really a good, filling meal

Oh and a clove of minced garlic lol.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chona
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: November 8, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
A method and ingredients more than a recipe, calories vary by how much you use.
I love chicken and celery together so I will chop a boneless, skinless chicken breast and toss it with sliced celery, celery salt, garlic powder, a little soy sauce or aminos and pepper and microwave-steam (In a steamer) for 3 minutes or until it's cooked through and very moist.
A 4oz chicken breast and 1 cup celery is only about 135 cals, so really a good, filling meal

Oh and a clove of minced garlic lol.
I too love celery and chicken, but in a cream sauce. Kind of a comfort dish for me. Love your idea, Dottie. I'm wondering if a wedge of laughing cow might give it that bit of creaminess I like. Especially since winter has finally arrived here. Thanks for sharing.
Chona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #303
Administrator

It should work I've also made it with 2 tablespoons of fat-free half and half and a 1/2tsp dijon mustard for a creamy mustard sauce.
One of the weirder combos I like with the chicken/celery is adding thinly sliced fresh jalapeno or serrano pepper and then finishing with a tablespoon of vinegar. Kind of a hot and sour twist on it
And, it being winter, any of them can be added to chicken broth to make a nice hot soup
Old 01-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It should work I've also made it with 2 tablespoons of fat-free half and half and a 1/2tsp dijon mustard for a creamy mustard sauce.
One of the weirder combos I like with the chicken/celery is adding thinly sliced fresh jalapeno or serrano pepper and then finishing with a tablespoon of vinegar. Kind of a hot and sour twist on it
And, it being winter, any of them can be added to chicken broth to make a nice hot soup
Actually, that's not weird twist. I love sweet and sour...and I LOVE spicy. I might make that tonight for dinner since it's a DD. Thanks, Dottie for the suggestion.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
Start Date: 12/26/11
This is "Hungry Girl's" recipe that is so good...thought I'd share!

PER SERVING (1 cup): 105 calories, 1.75g fat, 641mg sodium, 12.5g carbs, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 11g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*

3 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 1/4 cups finely chopped celery
1/2 cup diced sweet yellow onion
3 cups green enchilada sauce
One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
10 oz. cooked boneless skinless lean chicken breast, chopped or shredded
1 cup frozen white (or yellow) corn

Optional: dash hot sauce, or more to taste
Optional toppings: shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, crushed baked tortilla chips

Directions:
In a large pot, bring broth to a low boil on the stove. Add celery and onion, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly tender.
Stir in enchilada sauce and pumpkin. Once soup returns to a low boil, add chicken and corn, and mix well. Cook for an additional 3 - 5 minutes, until soup is heated throughout.
Add a dash or more hot sauce. (Or not. It's your soup.) Serve and, if you like, top with shredded cheese and/or crushed chips.
MAKES 9 SERVINGS

Beth
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
DD tuna casserole

one cup broccoli slaw--nuke for one minute 25
one packet tuna 70
one packet shiritaki rice, rinsed and dried
2 Tbs campbells chicken mushroom condensed soup 25

mix together. nuke again for a minute to heat. season with S & P 130 calories. filling, protein packed and yummy
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine2 View Post

Does the pumpkin taste good in it, Wine2?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chona View Post
Does the pumpkin taste good in it, Wine2?
Yes, pumpkin is a nice thickener, yet when mixed with other foods, especially in Italian, Mexican or any other flavorful dish you can't even taste pumpkin. It is good for you too! There is a classic Italian sausage soup with pumpkin that is out of this world. Simalar to this only it's Italian seasonings and instead of chicken it's Italian sausage that's added.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

PER SERVING (1 cup): 105 calories, 1.75g fat, 641mg sodium, 12.5g carbs, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 11g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*

3 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 1/4 cups finely chopped celery
1/2 cup diced sweet yellow onion
3 cups green enchilada sauce
10 oz. cooked boneless skinless lean chicken breast, chopped or shredded
1 cup frozen white (or yellow) corn

Optional: dash hot sauce, or more to taste
Optional toppings: shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, crushed baked tortilla chips

Directions:
In a large pot, bring broth to a low boil on the stove. Add celery and onion, and simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly tender.
Stir in enchilada sauce and pumpkin. Once soup returns to a low boil, add chicken and corn, and mix well. Cook for an additional 3 - 5 minutes, until soup is heated throughout.
Add a dash or more hot sauce. (Or not. It's your soup.) Serve and, if you like, top with shredded cheese and/or crushed chips.
MAKES 9 SERVINGS
Quote:
Yes, pumpkin is a nice thickener, yet when mixed with other foods, especially in Italian, Mexican or any other flavorful dish you can't even taste pumpkin. It is good for you too! There is a classic Italian sausage soup with pumpkin that is out of this world. Simalar to this only it's Italian seasonings and instead of chicken it's Italian sausage that's added.
OK. I'll bite. I'm going to make this! I'll let you know.
THNX!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #310
Administrator

I've used this recipe often and the ( ) are my DD substitutions.

The original recipe from topsecretrecipes with my subs in ( ).
1 cup teriyaki marinade (bragg's or coconut aminos, 1/4 cup is all you need, + 1pkt sweetener)
4 chicken breast fillets (1lb tenders)

Fat-Free Asian Dressing
2 cups water
1/2 cup granulated sugar (5 drops ez-sweetz or 4pkts sweetener)
3 tablespoons dry pectin (1tsp glucomannan - any more and it's too thick and gummy)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce (1tsp coconut or bragg's aminos)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika (I leave it out, I don't like paprika)

8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
8 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
3 cups shredded red cabbage
3 cups shredded green cabbage
2 cups shredded carrots (5 chopped baby carrots)
1 cup chopped green onion
1 1/3 cups crispy chow mein noodles (I leave them out)

1. Combine teriyaki marinade and chicken breasts in a medium bowl or resealable plastic bag. Marinate chicken for 3-4 hours. (I slice the chicken thinly and it takes much less marinade)

2. Prepare the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a rolling boil while stirring often with a whisk, then remove the pan from the heat to cool. When dressing has cooled, pour it into a covered container and chill. (I add the glucomnnan after it cooled in a shaker bottle and shake the heck out of it)

3. When chicken breasts have marinated, preheat barbecue grill to high heat. Grill chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, or until done. (I just spray a skillet with cooking spray and stir fry the slices for 3-4 minutes until cooked through)

4. Combine the romaine and iceberg lettuce, red and green cabbage and 1 cup of shredded carrots in a large bowl with the dressing. Toss well.

5. Divide the tossed greens among four plates. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of green onions over each salad, followed by 1/3 cup of crispy chow mein noodles. (I omit the noodles)

6. Sprinkle the sliced chicken breasts over each salad.

7. Place a 1/4 of the shredded carrots in the center of each salad.

Serves 4 as an entree.

Under 170cals per LARGE serving.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/ <-- food and exercise tracking
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

If you have a lemon tree like I do that keeps giving all year, then here is a simple "enhancement" to the chicken broth some of us Juddd's drink on DD while saving our calories for evening:

Add squeeze of half a lemon into 1 cup chicken broth and nuke. Add pinch of ground pepper if desired and drink.

It is nice to have the salty broth with a bit of acid of the lemon to cut the blandness of plain chicken broth. Actually this will also be nice combo to add an egg or eggbeater for a lemony eggdrop soup.

Last edited by Wine2; 01-10-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
That sounds really good!
I used to have a Yugoslavian boyfriend, and his mother made a SIMPLE, delicious soup
that I think was just clear chicken broth & chopped broccoli, with a squeeze of lemon.

Possibly you don't cook the lemon juice in the soup, just add it right to your bowl...but it was a long time ago & I'm not sure!
I just remember that it was such a surprising, delightful flavor combination! Perfect for a DD!
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #313
Administrator

Chicken and Apple sausage

After the sausage discussion, I decided to play around with making a good tasting chicken sausage and this was not a bad first attempt!

Makes 6 patties @ 50 cals; .85g fat; 3g carbs; .73g fiber and 8.1g protein each

Ingredients

8 oz Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast
1/2 medium Gala Apple
1/2 medium Yellow Onions
1/4 tsp Rubbed Sage (or more, depends on how much you like it)
1/2 tsp Thyme, Dried
1/2 tsp Light Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper (I'll add more next time, I love pepper)
2 large Egg Whites

Directions

Grind apple and onion together until fine then grind chicken and mix everything well.
Form into 6 patties and pan fry or form into a log using plastic wrap to tightly wrap and form it, then freeze until ready to use.

*Next time I will only use 1 egg white, if any. It was pretty wet. I am also thinking a little fiber (oat fiber, glucomannan, or psyllium) may be a nice addition to it - not a lot, maybe 1-2T.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #314
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Dottie;15315347]Chicken and Apple sausage
QUOTE]

What a great and really different lowcal way to make chicken!!! Thanks, Dottie. Can't wait to make it!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #315
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
After the sausage discussion, I decided to play around with making a good tasting chicken sausage and this was not a bad first attempt!

Ingredients

1/2 medium Gala Apple
1/2 medium Yellow Onions
1/2 tsp Thyme, Dried
1/2 tsp Light Salt
2 large Egg Whites

Directions

Grind apple and onion together until fine then grind chicken and mix everything well.
Form into 6 patties and pan fry or form into a log using plastic wrap to tightly wrap and form it, then freeze until ready to use.

*Next time I will only use 1 egg white, if any. It was pretty wet. I am also thinking a little fiber (oat fiber, glucomannan, or psyllium) may be a nice addition to it - not a lot, maybe 1-2T.
I'll be trying this, Dottie. It reads like it would really taste GREAT!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #316
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:

Ingredients

1/2 medium Gala Apple
1/2 medium Yellow Onions
1/2 tsp Thyme, Dried
1/2 tsp Light Salt
2 large Egg Whites

Directions

Is it possible to grind chicken in a food processor? I don't have a meat grinder and I really want to try this!! It's even lower in cals than the chicken sausage I found recently in the store!! And how big are these patties, Dottie, please.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Is it possible to grind chicken in a food processor? I don't have a meat grinder and I really want to try this!! It's even lower in cals than the chicken sausage I found recently in the store!! And how big are these patties, Dottie, please.
If you freeze the chicken/meat just until it's pliable (but not all the way frozen) it will chop nicely in food processor. I've done to make chicken patties and also beef hash. Cutting it into bite sized pieces BEFORE freezing helps too!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #318
Administrator

Pat: they passed the son taste test lol.
Linda: I used a food processor and it came out fine The patties, with all the additives were about 2oz each and roughly the size of the top of a vegetable can (lol that's all I can think of to compare them to) and they didn't really shrink much in cooking.
Beth: yep that's how I did it Sliced it into about 1/2" cubes and then ground it in pulses

I also advise leaving the egg white out completely unless it's dry-ish. The apple and onion make them pretty moist!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #319

Quote:
Linda: I used a food processor and it came out fine The patties, with all the additives were about 2oz each and roughly the size of the top of a vegetable can (lol that's all I can think of to compare them to) and they didn't really shrink much in cooking.
Beth: yep that's how I did it Sliced it into about 1/2" cubes and then ground it in pulses

I also advise leaving the egg white out completely unless it's dry-ish. The apple and onion make them pretty moist!
It's a winner then!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #320
Administrator

It starts with "that smells good" and ends when the plate is completely empty lol. That's how I know it was good!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

I'm also going to try them too as buffalo sausages, adding some buffalo sauce to foodprocessor instead of apples and onion. I love creative recipes like these sausages! My teenaged son can't get enough buffalo sauce things!!
Thanks, Dottie!

Last edited by Wine2; 01-10-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #322
Administrator

It's making me want to get a meat grinder or sausage stuffer so I can try to make link sausage lol. I love a challenge!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #323

Quote:
If you freeze the chicken/meat just until it's pliable (but not all the way frozen) it will chop nicely in food processor. I've done to make chicken patties and also beef hash. Cutting it into bite sized pieces BEFORE freezing helps too!
Quote:
Beth: yep that's how I did it Sliced it into about 1/2" cubes and then ground it in pulses:
Thanks you guys!!

Last edited by Beeb; 01-10-2012 at 02:53 PM..
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm also going to try them too as buffalo sausages, adding some buffalo sauce to foodprocessor instead of apples and onion. I love creative recipes like these sausages! My teenaged son can't get enough buffalo sauce things!!
Thanks, Dottie!
I love Buffalo sauce, too! Frank's, to be precise. I'm going to make these, too. Bless you, Dottie.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #325
Administrator

If you can find it, there's a spice blend called Slap Ya Mama that you can get in mild or hot. The hot it actually hot! But it's not overly salty and has a lot of flavor with the heat. It's a dry blend, usually with the cajun blends, mrs dash and things like that. Cheri mentioned it and I found it and just love it!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #326

Now you got me thinking about all the different chicken sausage that can be made; Buffalo, Italian spice, Mexican spice, Garden veggie using dried veggies, Apple and cinnamon, Spinach and red onion, to name a few!! OH MAN!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #327

AND, boneless/skinless breasts are on sale here this week! Low calorie sausages for DDs and UDs. I'm pretty psyched!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #328

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Mmm, mmm, mmm

All these ideas sound great! I'm going to try it in the Magic Bullet and see how it comes out.

I have seen Slap Ya Mama at my local meat market. I didn't buy any, but might now that I've heard a good review. I sure do love spice!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
This sounds so good! My husband loves making things like that; me, not so much anymore, especially in the last 5 years or so.

So, I'm going to give the recipe to him, and let him have at it.

He should enjoy making it, and we can both enjoy eating it.

Thanks Dottie for sharing!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #330
Administrator

I love chicken cooked with capers and sun dried tomatoes, I bet that would work, too