Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
oh no! calorie errors on my DD! importance of checking actual product vs ****** #s

I just got out my carton of Great Value (Walmart brand) egg whites and saw that it's 25 calories per 3 Tablespoons! I had simply been using ******'s "egg white only, cooked" listing on my DDs which said 42 calories per half cup, which was what I thought I was getting. So really, that adds about 200 calories to all my DD than what I listed!

I won't let it get me down (too much, after all I was still losing weight) but just a warning to others making my same mistakes.... watch out for using ******'s generic food items, instead create your own custom food if you need to.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 10-19-2011 at 08:16 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
more than this, you need to ask yourself WHY there is a difference. Egg whites are egg whites, it's not like putting them in a carton increases their calories! You should look for added ingredients. If there are none, then one of those numbers is plain wrong and you need to be Sherlock Holmes and figure that out. Given that the white of a large egg is about 16 calories, think about that and how much one egg white is, etc. to decide which is more accurate.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Yes, that made me Definitely going to have to look into this!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
I always check and RE-check now for the exact reason you are talking about. I can scan the barcode on foods with my phone into my Fat Secret journal and I have found a few things that the calories on the package and the calories it comes up with on the barcode are totally different. I always do a google search after this to see what is really the cal count.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Well, it seems in this case that the difference involved volume - a half cup of liquid egg white would hold a lot more egg product than if you cooked an egg, separated the white off and then measured out a half cup of the cooked egg white. That's what a lot of folks do to make lower-fat, lower-cal egg salad, for example. Not saying that's the difference, since we can never know for sure what they used to create the values, but that seems a likely explanation for this one.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2013
I feel your pain... It is hard to get the right count at times. I scan in barcodes to my phone also... Which works great if there is something to scan!
: )

I check several sources when something looks too high or too low.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I always check and RE-check now for the exact reason you are talking about. I can scan the barcode on foods with my phone into my Fat Secret journal and I have found a few things that the calories on the package and the calories it comes up with on the barcode are totally different. I always do a google search after this to see what is really the cal count.
Can you scan barcodes on I-phones? I probably have the most underused I-phone out there
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Can you scan barcodes on I-phones? I probably have the most underused I-phone out there
If you have a journal like Fat Secret and I believe ****** you can get a free app on your I phone that will let you do this. Look on the site that you have your journal, if you have one, and there should be something there about the app. You may also need to get a free barcode scan app, but that is easy. Just look in your "market place" on your phone, search free barcode scanner and see what comes up.

HTH
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Yes, you can! I use it ALL the time! Download ************ from the app store...its free, and you can track food, exercise, weighloss...make recipes...meals...custom foods...and scan any bar code for the nutritional information!

Its an awesome app...just look at the app store reviews.

You also automatically get the same app for your pc...and the iphone and pc apps sync in seconds!

Lots of us on juddd...and lcf use it, I have several of them as friends on the app!

let me know if you get it!

hugs
Jo
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Yes, you can! I use it ALL the time! Download ************ from the app store...its free, and you can track food, exercise, weighloss...make recipes...meals...custom foods...and scan any bar code for the nutritional information!

Its an awesome app...just look at the app store reviews.

You also automatically get the same app for your pc...and the iphone and pc apps sync in seconds!

Lots of us on juddd...and lcf use it, I have several of them as friends on the app!

let me know if you get it!

hugs
Jo
yep, love *** and the iphone app and love how quickly it synchs. I just did the scan thing the other day and it was SOOOO cool.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
I'm getting really frustrated with nutritional labels...
Sometimes, when the calorie count seems really off, I double-check by adding up the calories from the macronutrient grams (fat, protein, and carb minus fiber) and they are often SSSSO-O-O-O-O wrong!!!

Some of them count the calories of fiber, so I subtract those; and other labels don't count the fiber, and some of them have calories WAY over the macronutrients, and some way under...ugghhh....
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I'm getting really frustrated with nutritional labels...
Sometimes, when the calorie count seems really off, I double-check by adding up the calories from the macronutrient grams (fat, protein, and carb minus fiber) and they are often SSSSO-O-O-O-O wrong!!!

Some of them count the calories of fiber, so I subtract those; and other labels don't count the fiber, and some of them have calories WAY over the macronutrients, and some way under...ugghhh....
I know exactly what you're saying, and I agree it is disturbingly true far too often.

In general, I now eat almost anything and everything, but it's more foods and meals that I make from scratch myself, here in our home. The commercially manufactured items I use are far more the jars and bottles of mayo/soy sauce/salad dressing kinds of things.

On Up Days, my calorie ceiling is high, so a few cals one way or the other probably doesn't matter, but sometimes I'm needing to hold Down Days tightly to their limit, and that's when I want to be able to know my calorie counts are accurate!