Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   DD Staples (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/741533-dd-staples.html)

sophiethecat 10-19-2011 08:10 AM

DD Staples

Instead of recipes, I thought we could simply list food items we use on DD. Here are some of mine so far:

Butterball Turkey Bacon - 25 calories/slice
Diet Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa - 25 calories

stardustshadow 10-19-2011 09:40 AM

What about jello? The sugar free kind. I think it would be a staple for me if I could get it:(

Cruzcrzy 10-19-2011 10:00 AM

Dill pickles, but, be careful of the sodium.

Joedi 10-19-2011 10:12 AM

Glucomannan - I make choc Luda, and add it to sugar free drink mixes to make my own "jello"
Oat fibre.... every DD has a superlow muffin in it somewhere!
Egg White powder... Easy omelettes without the waste.
Coffee
Carrot sticks
Salsa
Ff Greek yog

Hugs
Jo
X

LuvLatte 10-19-2011 11:26 AM

Miracle noodles
celery
cauliflower
laughing cow
egg

Beeb 10-19-2011 11:56 AM

Chicken and other low cal protein
Veggies, lots and lots of veggies
Salad and fixings (more veggies)
Low fat dressing and condiments
Low fat/no fat dairy products
Fruit

piratejenny 10-19-2011 01:34 PM

Chayote (5 calories per oz!!!)
Celery
Spinach & lettuce

Psyllium

Egg whites (fresh...I use the yolks on UDs)
Ham: 3oz=100 calories!!!
Fat free half & half
Low fat cottage cheese
Chicken bouillon

Capella drops
EZSweets
DaVinci/Torani syrups

Sugar-free Nestle (waaaay cheaper than cocoa mixes!!!)

I'm just starting...I'm sure I will be adding to the list!
Thanks for the ideas! :)

emky 10-19-2011 01:42 PM

Gummy candies made from gelatin, flavoring, and sucralose
(I got the original recipe from Linda's low carb Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes )

I made a batch of four different flavors today; raspberry, lemon, pineapple, and anise. The pieces fill a pretty big container. The whole shebang has 200 calories and no carbs (I used 10 packets of knox gelatin).

penguinpower 10-19-2011 01:45 PM

In addition to all that have been mentioned, I depend on:

Zucchini - lots of other low-cal veggies, but zukes are a mainstay for me
SF coffee creamer
A tasty sauce I found in an asian market called Jap Chae - 20 cals per 2 tbs which is enough to really season a good-size stir fry
Crystal Light that I dilute to 1/3 strength - in other words, I get three 2-qt pitchers from one tube.
Baja Bob's Mudslide and Margarita singles - I use them to enhance flavors and textures in shakes and gluc gel
(But now I buy the Target Margarita singles - they are less expensive and just as good. They don't have the mudslide unfortunately)
Nickles 35-calorie bread
Good mustards

Joedi - what is choc Luda?

piratejenny 10-19-2011 01:50 PM

emky, that's a really good idea! I made myself a bunch of Jell-O for DDs but gummy candy would be nice to chew on. I have some cute silicone chocolate molds that I have used for that. Sometimes I use Kool-Aid for flavoring.

If you order from Netrition, online vitamin companies, or Amazon, you might be interested in getting gelatin in bulk.

In Asia, glucomannan is used for making jelly candies. I don't have a recipe but that might be a bit more filling/satisfying for some people.

stardustshadow 10-19-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emky (Post 15103021)
(I got the original recipe from Linda's low carb Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes )

I made a batch of four different flavors today; raspberry, lemon, pineapple, and anise. The pieces fill a pretty big container. The whole shebang has 200 calories and no carbs (I used 10 packets of knox gelatin).

Oh that is SO cool! Gotta try it! Do you know how many grams or ounces a packet of gelatin is? They sell it in jars here, so I have to find a method of comparison for the recipe!

Thanks for the idea!!

Seabreezes 10-19-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emky (Post 15103021)

Do you use liquid Sucralose? If not, I think there are 24 carbs per cup of Splenda.

I can remember makeing Kool Aid with it when I first started low carbing and discovered I had my whole day's allotment of carbs in just a drink!!!:annoyed:

Low Carb Librarian 10-19-2011 02:30 PM

I will have to look into turkey bacon... The bacon that I use is 40 cal a slice.

Joedi 10-19-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinpower (Post 15103034)
In addition to all that have been mentioned, I depend on:

Zucchini - lots of other low-cal veggies, but zukes are a mainstay for me
SF coffee creamer
A tasty sauce I found in an asian market called Jap Chae - 20 cals per 2 tbs which is enough to really season a good-size stir fry
Crystal Light that I dilute to 1/3 strength - in other words, I get three 2-qt pitchers from one tube.
Baja Bob's Mudslide and Margarita singles - I use them to enhance flavors and textures in shakes and gluc gel
(But now I buy the Target Margarita singles - they are less expensive and just as good. They don't have the mudslide unfortunately)
Nickles 35-calorie bread
Good mustards

Joedi - what is choc Luda?

:hyst: It is what you get when you dont check the predictive text on your iphone before posting! :hyst:

It WAS meant to read "choc pudding!"

sorry if you were expecting some delicious new food idea!:laugh:

hugs
Jo
x

emky 10-19-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seabreezes (Post 15103168)
Do you use liquid Sucralose? If not, I think there are 24 carbs per cup of Splenda.

I can remember makeing Kool Aid with it when I first started low carbing and discovered I had my whole day's allotment of carbs in just a drink!!!:annoyed:

Splenda? Oh hell no! I use pure sucralose powder-- 100% strength stuff that I buy from a shop on ebay. A tiny, tiny pinch goes a loooonnnngggg way.

emky 10-19-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stardustshadow (Post 15103133)
Oh that is SO cool! Gotta try it! Do you know how many grams or ounces a packet of gelatin is? They sell it in jars here, so I have to find a method of comparison for the recipe!

Thanks for the idea!!

According to the label in front of me, 1/4 of an envelope is 1.8g. So, there are 7.2g in a packet (and one packet has a total of 20 calories).

And Jenny, I will so totally be buying cute molds for future gummy making. Thanks for the heads up about buying gelatin in bulk...I was wondering about that today. I hope it's cheaper than buying it in the store!

penguinpower 10-19-2011 05:03 PM

Joedi - darn, I was hoping for a yummy new choco treat lol.

I forgot to add - I rely a lot of the 97% fat free Hebrew National hot dogs. I almost never ate hot dogs before JUDDD...but two of those, wrapped in a slice of split bread with a squirt of mustard and a side of dill pickle makes a great, quick lunch for only 115 calories. I've tried other FF hot dogs and the Hebrew Nats are the ones I like best, and taste most like "real" hot dogs to me.

Gummies....hmmmm....sounds interesting!

sophiethecat 10-19-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinpower (Post 15103652)
I forgot to add - I rely a lot of the 97% fat free Hebrew National hot dogs. I almost never ate hot dogs before JUDDD...but two of those, wrapped in a slice of split bread with a squirt of mustard and a side of dill pickle makes a great, quick lunch for only 115 calories. I've tried other FF hot dogs and the Hebrew Nats are the ones I like best, and taste most like "real" hot dogs to me.

Good to know this! I will pick some up for a DD.

SoHappy 10-19-2011 05:19 PM

Donna (PenquinPower) got me turned onto FF hot dogs at 40 cals per, and low cal bread, which the best I can find here is 40 cals per slice.

I rely on shirataki noodles and zucchini with some spaghetti sauce & misc. onion, pepper, etc. for Italian meals.

My fav veggies for DDs are broccoli, carrot, onion, green pepper, & mushrooms for stir fry.

I weigh every ingredient to the fraction of an ounce, and I measure out fluid additions exactly.

Almond milks and Walden Farms 0-cal pancake syrup have been a Godsend for when I want to make various shakes.

piratejenny 10-19-2011 06:17 PM

Stardustshadow--
(and anyone else interested in using bulk gelatin)
"one envelope" is also the equivalent to one tablespoon.

emky--
Oh YES!!! Bulk gelatin is much cheaper!!!

penguinpower--
I've been eyeing those HN 97% dogs. I'm so reluctant to buy fat-free! :laugh:

SoHappy 10-19-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15103923)
Stardustshadow--
(and anyone else interested in using bulk gelatin)
"one envelope" is also the equivalent to one tablespoon.

emky--
Oh YES!!! Bulk gelatin is much cheaper!!!

penguinpower--
I've been eyeing those HN 97% dogs. I'm so reluctant to buy fat-free! :laugh:

It takes a little getting used to. I do a lot of egg whites on the DDs and then eat the yolks on the UDs. Lean meat on DDs, fatty meat on UDs.

You get used to it, and it really helps balance it all out, and I guess attaining the success of my weight loss on JUDDD when I couldn't budge it on low carb says something, but it did take a bit of getting used to. :laugh:

kris4chloe 10-19-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15101691)
Instead of recipes, I thought we could simply list food items we use on DD. Here are some of mine so far:

Butterball Turkey Bacon - 25 calories/slice
Diet Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa - 25 calories

Since it is cooling down i was craving some hot cocoa, and i remember from my WW days that the diet swiss miss was low cal, so I ran out and grabbed a box. Can't wait til the kids go to bed so I can enjoy a cup (or 2 :laugh: )

Joedi 10-20-2011 01:42 AM

Oh I WISH I could buy Swiss miss in the uk! Sounds yummy!
Jo
X

sophiethecat 10-20-2011 09:58 AM

Great Value Liquid Eggs - 60 calories/per half cup

Mommie22boys 10-21-2011 03:12 AM

Oscar Mayer 98% FF hot dogs (40)
CocoPops (16)
Oscar Mayer honey smoked turkey breast (6 slices = 50 cal)
Green leaf lettuce leaves...use as sammy wraps (4 cal/leaf)
Light miracle whip (20/Tbls)
Spicy brown mustard (5/tsp)
Pepp farms extra fiber bread (40/slice)
Jello (10)
Diet cocoa (25)
Laughing cow cheese (35)
Maple grove farms fat free Vidalia onion dressing (10/Tbls)
Coffee
Diet soda
Arizona peach tea drink packets (0)
Grape tomatoes (2/ea)
100-cal oatmeal packets

synger 10-21-2011 05:41 AM

Veggies: canned green beans with a bit of Tiger Sauce are yummy, or spinach and tomatoes stewed together, or just about anything when I'm hungry!

Cottage cheese: can't beat the protein for the calories -- a spoonful goes a long way

Protein powder: I usually make at least one protein shake on weekend or work-at-home DDs

Ham: It's actually quite low-calorie. An entire ham steak (the ones I buy) is only 150 calories, and half is very satisfying.

Salad: On work-in-the-city days my staple lunch is a big-a** salad with pickled egg and five green olives. I use bottled italian dressing, cut with basalmic vinegar and a bit of hot sauce. Yum!

Soup: I make bone broth from chicken bones each week, and will often heat up a cup of that to go with my salads. A spoonful of miso paste adds flavor, protein and probiotics for only 40 calories.

addict1000 10-21-2011 09:23 AM

I just bought green giant Just for One frozen veggies. They have a little sauce and some styles are only 40 calories. The corn and pea variety are 80 calories.

I think they will be a staple for me along with Select brand frozen egg white patties. Each patty is 20 cals

also going to be eating a lot of Amy's organic vegetable soup 120 calories for 2 cups
I don't like to cook. Convenience is important to me.

sophiethecat 10-21-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addict1000 (Post 15108723)
I just bought green giant Just for One frozen veggies. They have a little sauce and some styles are only 40 calories. The corn and pea variety are 80 calories.

I think they will be a staple for me along with Select brand frozen egg white patties. Each patty is 20 cals

also going to be eating a lot of Amy's organic vegetable soup 120 calories for 2 cups
I don't like to cook. Convenience is important to me.

Convenience seems especially important to me on my DD. I think it's because I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen or around food, just went to get it fixed and try to savour it. :)

I will look for that low calorie soup.

Oh and you gave me an idea to make a breakfast sandwich with low-cal bread, turkey bacon and egg substitute (and maybe a sliver of cheese on it) for my next DD. :)

sophiethecat 10-22-2011 12:58 PM

Some of these were already mentioned, but I'll list some of the things I picked up today at the store:

Amy's Chunky Vegetable Soup - 60 calories/cup
Oscar Meyer 98% Fat Free Hot dogs - 40 calories/hotdog
Ken's Light Options Olive Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing - 50 calories/2 T.
Nickles Light Wheat bread - 35 calories/slice
Weight Watchers Swiss flavored cheese wedges - 30 calories/wedge

Mommie22boys 10-22-2011 04:00 PM

Thought of a couple more...

Dannon Light & Fit yogurt (80)
SF jello pudding cups (60)
Canned soups (I choose not more than 80/cup)
Light I can't believe it's not butter (45/Tbls)
Jolly time popcorn (20/cup)