Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
JUDDD newbies: introduce yourselves!

I'm just (trying to) start this WOE and noticed that the "monthly" threads have ended. But there are more people joining every week, so I thought I'd start a thread where we can tell our stories and ask questions without posting a lot of random, short-lived threads.

I have been low-carbing for just about a year + a couple weeks, and have lost no more than 8lbs...it goes up and down a lot; 5 steps forward, 4.6 back
I have tried eating less protein, more protein, less dairy, more fat, no snacking, counting calories, etc etc...sometimes my hunger and cravings are well under control and I have noticed several improvements in my health, so LC with no weight loss is worth it for that; however, losing a LOT weight is also very very important to me!!!

I am hoping JUDDD will finally be a breakthrough for me!

So far my two attempts at DDs were well over 1000 calories, but probably about 50%-60% of what I usually eat...so my plan is to keep trying and cut down 100-200 calories per DD until I get to 800 or 700 & see if that works.

I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes* (no insulin), so I won't be eating just anything on my UDs...and I can't afford to buy packaged shakes and bars for the 2 week induction...but this seems like a very flexible plan & I really like the idea of disciplining myself to save certain foods "for tomorrow"; not just the weekend, or holidays, or whenever I get stressed and can't take it anymore!

*I've read a few comments that this WOE can be difficult for diabetics but my numbers are in a pretty tight range (100-140) and I don't seem to get hypo even when I go long periods without eating...so I think I can do this safely. But if there are any dangers I should be aware of, please let me know!

Well, y'all seem like such a friendly, supportive bunch, I'm excited to hang out around here and learn more!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Glad to have you here, PirateJenny. You aren't the only one who became discouraged with a general low carb eating plan because of the failure to lose weight on it. The food is yummy, although I did initially chaff under the restriction from so many of the foods that had filled my life previously, and that I have been able to reintroduce and love once again under the JUDDD plan.

I strongly believe that once you get into the routine of doing Up Days and Down Days, and particularly once you have worked your way down to reasonable calorie numbers for those days, you will see weight melt away. It can be that amazing.

Do you know what your calorie numbers should be? It is felt that the JUDDD site gives out numbers on the (ahem) too generous side, so most of us hold our UD calories down from what is given us from that site, but you have to start in somewhere. The important thing is to just jump in. We all make our corrections from there.

I'm bummed to hear that you have been diagnosed with diabetes, so I hope it isn't all that advanced yet, and with weight loss it will bring blood sugar readings back down into a good range. Do you have to be on metformin yet?

We have diabetics here on this plan too. Perhaps some will speak up. But despite holding your DDs to low calories, that doesn't mean that those days have to held to very little food, or held to long periods of time between feedings. What you eat is up to you, as I'm sure you already know, but many of us choose a lot of the very low carb veggies because they help keep us full on few calories or carbs. You will probably experiment and settle on what works for you the best.

I expect you will be very successful, and very shortly too. As soon as you can get worked into a lower DD calorie range, and respect your UD calorie ceiling, you're going to be one happy Pirate Jenny! Welcome!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Pat!
I just dissented a little bit with one of your posts on another thread...
I hope you still mean that "welcome" after you read it!

Since I haven't been losing weight, I would say my normal calories (at my current weight and activity level) are probably at "maintenance level". And by "normal calories" I mean when I am not consciously cutting back on portion size or fatty things like mayo & cheese, just eating the LC food I like until I'm full (with the occasional treat). I seem to self-regulate at around 2400-2800 calories (according to ******, going back to March and April).

And the JUDDD website said 2484 calories for me; 2846 with light exercise. Weird!

Thanks for your concerns about my diabetes. It seems to not be too severe, although some of my labs got filed without my doctor seeing them, and I had elevated numbers a couple years ago...in other words, it could have been caught and I could have started treatment sooner. But I've been on Metformin since June and feel a lot better.

I don't intend to go long periods of time without eating; I just mentioned that as a reason I think I'll be okay on DDs. I would think some diabetics may need to eat more than 500 calories a day to keep their blood sugar from getting too low, especially if they are active. That is just something I'll have to monitor.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Thanks, Pat!
I just dissented a little bit with one of your posts on another thread...
I hope you still mean that "welcome" after you read it!

Since I haven't been losing weight, I would say my normal calories (at my current weight and activity level) are probably at "maintenance level". And by "normal calories" I mean when I am not consciously cutting back on portion size or fatty things like mayo & cheese, just eating the LC food I like until I'm full (with the occasional treat). I seem to self-regulate at around 2400-2800 calories (according to ******, going back to March and April).

And the JUDDD website said 2484 calories for me; 2846 with light exercise. Weird!

Thanks for your concerns about my diabetes. It seems to not be too severe, although some of my labs got filed without my doctor seeing them, and I had elevated numbers a couple years ago...in other words, it could have been caught and I could have started treatment sooner. But I've been on Metformin since June and feel a lot better.

I don't intend to go long periods of time without eating; I just mentioned that as a reason I think I'll be okay on DDs. I would think some diabetics may need to eat more than 500 calories a day to keep their blood sugar from getting too low, especially if they are active. That is just something I'll have to monitor.

LOL about the dissent!!! That's the spice of life, and much of the fun of discussion sites. We all get to have opinions, and discuss them, and sometimes even moderate our opinions or change them over to something else, as we learn and balance and compare various viewpoints with various study results with ......

I am truly a maverick here on LCF because I take the gospel of the various talking gurus with a tremendous grain of salt the size of a mountain, and don't buy into a lot of it 100%. Or even much of it by 50%.

So while I think I would be absolutely insane to go on a low protein diet and try to cut my protein intake to an extremely low level.. and almost the whole world came to rue the utter stupidity of the low fat diets and attempts to cut most fat from the diet, I've committed blasphemy by admitting my heretical belief that carbohydrate was also intended to form an important third leg of our diet by Mother Nature. And so, I eat carbs and enjoy them a lot. So you can always take what I say and remember who the thoughts and ideas are coming from.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:

OH! I forgot about this part of your post.

Do be aware that most of us think the JUDDD site gives folks a very inflated number for their calories. Don't know why they would.. but most of us think it's way too high for us, and we would fail if we went as high as they tell us.

So use your own judgment there. And we often have to tweak our numbers before we get it working just perfectly for us.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Hi, My name Metqa, and I'm a JUDDDer.

Doing just for a lark. I was maintaining my HCG Losses, and just chatting with a friend in another forum who was still losing weight after her HCG round. She's doing a High Calorie Low Calorie Refeed sorta thing, Not really JUDDD, but it interested me cause she was losing as fast as her HCG round.

Since I tend to do things I don't need to and be pleasantly surprised, I decided to try this JUDDD thing. i figured I'd maintain at the least since I was already maintaining. and if I inched down on the scales a bit it couldn't hurt. Since I'm planning another HCG round in the near future and I also wanted to eat more liberally till then.

Imagine my surprise when I dropped 2lb in 7 days. By combining the Aspects of HCG for Down Days and EFGT on Up Days I'm still able to incorporate some starchy things in my diet like bake mix, and milk and Ice cream and nuts, and still lose a bit.

So I think JUDDD is pretty cool, but I'm in the Honeymoon Period. So far, it's been one week and I can see that I can stick to it for at least a week. Week 2 is the week to measure results but I've already gotten a boost. I might not lose anything next week but we'll see.

I used EXRX fitness calculator, beenusing it for years, I think whatever measure you ahve been using you should use for your calorie measure because it will be consistent with what you've been working from.

the JUDDD sight gave me a calorie number that was way lower than what I'd been operating on. I used my own numbers for my Max and Min and I'm eating 200 calories more than the site suggested on DDs and I still lost 2lb that weren't budging over the past month or so.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 10-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Hi, Im Debbie and really am interested in this JUDD. I am reading and still trying to figure it all out. I have NO idea about what my calories should be, havent got that far yet. So does everyone low carb with this way of eating or eat what you what within your calorie range?
I too have a hard time losing on low carb for some reason. I lost some weight on HCG but the low calorie every day did me in. This almost sounds too good to be true.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
I just put my info in to find out what my calories should be. It said on dd 540 and up days 2160. Does that sound right? Im really excitedo give this a try.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emky
Stats: CW:144 GW:130
WOE: Atkins + Shangri-la
Start Date: January 2014
Hi, I'm hopping on the bandwagon!

I began LCing in Fall of 09. At first, it was great- I lost 15 lbs in 2-3 months (and I was only on the heavy side of average when I started). My weight remained stable for another 5 months before I decided I could lose another 10 to look really awesome. I accomplished my goal, but it took a whole summer of jogging, living away from home (family is a major trigger for over-eating for me), and cutting my still-LC calories to 800-1000 a day to get it done. In the end, I only maintained my dream weight for two weeks before a massive month-long binge set me back 20 lbs!

Needless to say, I was a wreck; going from skinny back to pudgy in a matter of weeks was a terrible blow to my self esteem. I had gotten used to my thinner body- imagine my surprise when I woke up realizing it was gone! In a frantic effort to get my weight back down, I tried Stillmans. It worked, for the most part and I lost 13 of those 20 lbs in a month and a half. In the end though, I became mega jaded. It was frustrating to walk into a grocery store and realize I couldn't eat 99 % of what was there. Lean meats and eggs only gets old really fast. I had another relapse and dove head-first into sugarville and whiteflourtown.

After 2 months in off-plan hell, I decided to cut my losses and just go back to regular low carb in Feb of this year. Since then my weight has stabilized at 130, a full 20 lbs from my "perfect" weight of 110 lbs. I'm short and I have a very small bone structure- 130 lbs is definitely too big for me.

So, after months of grudgingly "accepting" my weight I decided I was ready to give things another go. I'm serious this time. Not only am I tired of looking at my flab in the mirror (my legs are groosssss), but I'm also sick of not being able to wear cute fashions and feeling my current weight is making my morning jog more difficult. I just *feel* heavy. Also there's a little something else- I was on and off hooking up with this one guy for the past year. We never became serious, even though we really clicked because I was too ashamed of my body to see him for months at a time. I lied and made so many excuses when I was having a fat month (or two), but he was totally patient with me. Well, that patience has apparently run out; I just found out from my friend that he is now dating my friend's sister. I don't blame him at all, but it made me realize I shouldn't have to face this reality again. To be fair, he never had any problem with my body- this is totally a "me" issue. I'm young, and I deserve to have a body I can be proud of. I would be lying if I said I could ever be happy with my current weight in my twenties- it's just not true.

So, now that low carb alone is not enough, I have decided to give JUDDD a whirl. Hell, you all seem to be happy- I want in on it too!

The calculator recommended 400 for my DD and 1900 for my UD. I think I'm going to try 600 for my DD, and 1600 for my UD at first, and tweak it if I'm not losing.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #10

Welcome, emky! It's wonderful to have you join us, and I believe you can be very successful on JUDDD, attaining the final weight that is your goal and fitting into the sizes you want to be wearing, completely proud and confident of your appearance.

If you have questions that you haven't found answers to, just post them. Everyone here is friendly and willing to offer their suggestions. This is a great group.

Glad you're here. It's always fun to welcome a new JUDDD BUDDD!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gwynth
Stats: Lost 46, Regained 20, Have lost 3 so far
WOE: IF/CAD now
Start Date: restart Oct. 2011
Hi everyone. I'm not new to JUDDDD, but I am new to this discussion. I started JUDDDD in 2006 and lost over 40 pounds on it. Then I maintained that loss until 2009 when the eating got out of control. I'm now creeping back up the scale and have to take charge again. I'm extremely annoyed with myself and am puzzled why it's so hard for me to get back in the groove this time. Anyway, I've regained 20 pounds and have to do something before I regain it all.

This time I'm going to watch my carbs much more closely. I'm planning to combine the IF with CAD, limiting starchy carbs to one meal a day. I always did fabulous DDs but had trouble with overeating on UDs. With luck the CAD protocol will help me with this. Years ago, back in the late 80s/early 90s, I did CAD and lost fairly well on it.

One thing that has always thrown a monkey wrench into my JUDDDDing is my erratic work schedule and the obligation to eat with my mother every Sunday. She really needs to eat more and will only do so if someone eats with her. So I can't do a strict every other day DD. Sunday always has to be an UD. And due to my work schedule, Tuesday and Thursday need to be DDs. So I'm locked into T,Th, Sat DDs every week. This leaves Monday as either a double UD or double DD. I'm thinking of doing it at 50-60%.

I posted on the CAD thread here way back when but don't remember a JUDDDD discussion in those days. I'm thrilled to find all of you. Having a support group is a huge help.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrat3 View Post
Hi, Im Debbie and really am interested in this JUDD. I am reading and still trying to figure it all out. I have NO idea about what my calories should be, havent got that far yet. So does everyone low carb with this way of eating or eat what you what within your calorie range?
I too have a hard time losing on low carb for some reason. I lost some weight on HCG but the low calorie every day did me in. This almost sounds too good to be true.
Without knowing your height, weight, age, and activity level, your level of calories is just a mystery, but if it sounds good to you go with it.

The beauty of JUDDD that I see is that you can use whatever WOE you want for the Up Days. Some are using Low Carb, Some are Using Weight Watchers, Some count Carbs, Some count Points, Some count only Calories.

Down Days are the same. Some eat a tonne of Low Cal Low Fat veggies, Others keep High Fat , Some Fast until their one High Fat Dinner, And Some Follow the HCG Protocol menu for Down Days, It's very convenient to have choices. Whatever works for your appetite and lifestyle.

I think you will like JUDDD. I like that some HCGers are here because I am sure you will be able to manage the DownDays Like a Veteran! You will have so much more freedom and You can have Your Updays to recover if the Down Day did not agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emky
So, after months of grudgingly "accepting" my weight I decided I was ready to give things another go.
Me Too. Actually I'm Juddding to 'maintain" before another round of reducing, but the JUDDD is giving me reduction so I AM Happy. I want you to be happy Too.

Give it a go. Even for just a week. I'm starting my second week. The first week is akward cause I have to remember which day I can have a certain higher calorie food, but it's so easy cause its only a day. Each day is different. I love Apples, and I love Grapefruit, I have grapefuit on Down Days and Apples on Up Days and It's great.

You are right, you should be happy in your body! I hope JUDDD can help you there.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynth View Post
Hi everyone. I'm not new to JUDDDD, but I am new to this discussion. I started JUDDDD in 2006 and lost over 40 pounds on it. Then I maintained that loss until 2009 when the eating got out of control. I'm now creeping back up the scale and have to take charge again. I'm extremely annoyed with myself and am puzzled why it's so hard for me to get back in the groove this time. Anyway, I've regained 20 pounds and have to do something before I regain it all.

This time I'm going to watch my carbs much more closely. I'm planning to combine the IF with CAD, limiting starchy carbs to one meal a day. I always did fabulous DDs but had trouble with overeating on UDs. With luck the CAD protocol will help me with this. Years ago, back in the late 80s/early 90s, I did CAD and lost fairly well on it.

One thing that has always thrown a monkey wrench into my JUDDDDing is my erratic work schedule and the obligation to eat with my mother every Sunday. She really needs to eat more and will only do so if someone eats with her. So I can't do a strict every other day DD. Sunday always has to be an UD. And due to my work schedule, Tuesday and Thursday need to be DDs. So I'm locked into T,Th, Sat DDs every week. This leaves Monday as either a double UD or double DD. I'm thinking of doing it at 50-60%.

I posted on the CAD thread here way back when but don't remember a JUDDDD discussion in those days. I'm thrilled to find all of you. Having a support group is a huge help.
Hi, Gwynth! Glad you're joining us! We have an increasingly active and vibrant group here, and all seem to do * IT * a little bit differently from the next JUDDDer, but overall we're losing weight, or maintaining our goal weights, happily, and certainly treasuring our freedom to enjoy the Holidays, Family Celebrations, Feasts & Festivals, etc. on JUDDD Up Days through it all.

I know how easy it is to get off plan, no matter what plan you have followed to lose your weight, so know for myself, I have to weigh each morning and record it, and I have to follow my JUDDD cycle of Up and Down days. Otherwise, I will be doomed. And by making those simple things a part of my daily life now, I will be saved from myself forevermore!

Most of us work a Medium Day into each week so as to be able to have our DDs and UDs always fall on the days that work the best for us. And we do have those MD calories about midway between our Up and Down numbers, so it really works smoothly for us that way. I'll bet you'll find that working well for you too. That way, your Sunday get-together with your mother, eating with her, would give you enough calorie leeway to perhaps make that day either an UD or a MD, whichever works the best for you for that particular week, while still allowing you to eat generously with your mother, to encourage her to eat well too.

Welcome! It's so nice to have you join us!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome SoHappy and metqa!

Quick question: for those of you who weigh daily, do you tend to weigh more the morning after an UD? My weight fluctuates wildly from day to day (it may be my scale), and I'm afraid after a DD I will be like "Yay, I lost 3 lbs!", but then after the UD the scale will say I gained that 3 back. I do feel like I need to weigh daily because it keeps me accountable. I guess I will log my daily weight, but make a weight loss chart that only shows weekly results.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
ALL! How WONDERFUL to see so many new and those coming back faces!! I'm so about this!! The is my "home" and I love my JUDDD BUDDDs! They are the best people in the world; supportive, understanding, non-judgemental, and just so caring!

I KNOW you will be saying the same thing in record time and glad to have you in the "family"!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by emky View Post

Quick question: for those of you who weigh daily, do you tend to weigh more the morning after an UD? My weight fluctuates wildly from day to day (it may be my scale), and I'm afraid after a DD I will be like "Yay, I lost 3 lbs!", but then after the UD the scale will say I gained that 3 back. I do feel like I need to weigh daily because it keeps me accountable. I guess I will log my daily weight, but make a weight loss chart that only shows weekly results.
I weigh daily and record it in ****** and also on a calendar right here at my elbow. And JUDDD can give you some of the wildest weight swings of any eating plan I've ever been on! So get ready for a bumpy ride.

The thing is, what you are recording is only scale weight. And so only a part of that is body FAT weight. You're also getting the weight of any water retention in your tissues from yesterday's ham salad, a meal or two that are taking longer to *pass through you* than normal, a bit of water fluid in your muscles from all the exercise you got raking leaves till your arms felt like they were going to fall off. On this plan, you take in larger quantities of food and then smaller amounts, so that can certainly affect the scale.

But the big thing to come to terms with is the knowledge that weight loss isn't just linear, and it doesn't necessarily follow within exact 24-hour time periods like our concept of day and night is. You can have lost a bit of fat at the same time you've gained a bit of retained water weight, and the scale might show you up a speck.... when in truth, you've lost some body fat!

So just use it as a tool, record your daily weight readings (or weekly) and don't be too concerned by the wild fluctuations you're probably going to see from JUDDD.

Just visualize your weight loss as a ball, bouncing down the stairs. It's going to bounce up and down, up and down.. as it bounces DOWN the stairs overall. You will probably see some weight loss every week, although I had the occasional week of none. And then a week of one or two, and then two or one, and maybe a week of no loss again. (I'm a slow loser) But finally you wake up one morning at goal!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
ALL! How WONDERFUL to see so many new and those coming back faces!! I'm so about this!! The is my "home" and I love my JUDDD BUDDDs! They are the best people in the world; supportive, understanding, non-judgemental, and just so caring!

I KNOW you will be saying the same thing in record time and glad to have you in the "family"!
And may I introduce Beeb to all of the newcomers. Her name is Linda, and she is our cheerleader!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #18

Quote:
I'm just (trying to) start this WOE and noticed that the "monthly" threads have ended. But there are more people joining every week, so I thought I'd start a thread where we can tell our stories and ask questions without posting a lot of random, short-lived threads.

I have been low-carbing for just about a year + a couple weeks, and have lost no more than 8lbs...it goes up and down a lot; 5 steps forward, 4.6 back
I have tried eating less protein, more protein, less dairy, more fat, no snacking, counting calories, etc etc...sometimes my hunger and cravings are well under control and I have noticed several improvements in my health, so LC with no weight loss is worth it for that; however, losing a LOT weight is also very very important to me!!!

I am hoping JUDDD will finally be a breakthrough for me!

So far my two attempts at DDs were well over 1000 calories, but probably about 50%-60% of what I usually eat...so my plan is to keep trying and cut down 100-200 calories per DD until I get to 800 or 700 & see if that works.

I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes* (no insulin), so I won't be eating just anything on my UDs...and I can't afford to buy packaged shakes and bars for the 2 week induction...but this seems like a very flexible plan & I really like the idea of disciplining myself to save certain foods "for tomorrow"; not just the weekend, or holidays, or whenever I get stressed and can't take it anymore!

*I've read a few comments that this WOE can be difficult for diabetics but my numbers are in a pretty tight range (100-140) and I don't seem to get hypo even when I go long periods without eating...so I think I can do this safely. But if there are any dangers I should be aware of, please let me know!

Well, y'all seem like such a friendly, supportive bunch, I'm excited to hang out around here and learn more!
and so nice to see you over here!! I have followed your posts on the other forums and always found them supportive, informative and caring. Glad to have you here with us bringing your wonderful ways with you! I think this newbie thread is brillant and that you started it! I can't answer your questions about the medical but I would say give it a try and see what happens. There is LOTS of info on here from other JUDDDers who have some of the same medical issues so that should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynth View Post

BACK!! So nice to have you hear and I look forward to your knowledge of JUDDD and the info you can provide to us!

As you know, JUDDD is a very flexible WOE and when we wrap our brains around this it becomes very easy. I have always thought the biggest "trick" to this magic WOE is to be accountable for EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, DDs AND UDs. I also weight everyday. It doesn't bother me with the scale going up a pound or so on my UDs because this is water weight and it has ALWAYS come off on my next DD and usually taking some more with it. It's also a plan where you CAN move those DDs and UDs around, add a middle day when needed. Do 2 DDs in a row if you want or 2 UDs in a row. Some do the weekend as 2 UDs because that is what works for them. AND there is the key.....WHAT WORKS FOR THEM, and YOU and I! Nothing is set in stone with this WOE except that you allow the program to work as it was intended by doing the UDs and DDs that will give the % that is needed to help it work. And the % can be what YOU need it to be. I started at 700 DD cals and 1600 UD cals. That worked for me because I felt comfortable having a few more cals on my DDs. This way I DIDN'T set myself up to fail right from the first DD.

Quote:

SO nice to have you join us!! Here is something I just wrote about your question and maybe this will help some: So, I am in the "groove" now. My pattern is up 1 pound plus sometimes a few ounces after an UD and then down the same, sometimes a little more on my DD. This is very doable and I'm not hesitating to get on the scale on my UDs anymore because I see this pattern. So...I'm up 1 pound today, and now I know that is the norm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrat3 View Post
Great to see you on board with us!! Have you looked on the JUDDD site (google JUDDD) and see what the calculator on there says about DDs and UDs cals? It is helpful, but we have all found that using other calorie calculators are a good idea and getting an average from them all for your UD and DD calories. The JUDDD calculator tends to "overdo" the UD cals some have found. It was fine for me, but I still looked at other sites and realized it was pretty on the money for me. Better to be over informed then under! And yes, JUDDD does sound like "magic" and you know what......I think it is!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 10-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
And may I introduce Beeb to all of the newcomers. Her name is Linda, and she is our cheerleader!
I you, Pat!!! And will say this again, even though I know it makes you

WITHOUT PAT'S HELP I WOULD NEVER HAD FOUND THIS AMAZING WOE OR THIS AMAZING JUDDD "FAMILY"! She is the best of the best!!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Just visualize your weight loss as a ball, bouncing down the stairs. It's going to bounce up and down, up and down.. as it bounces DOWN the stairs overall. You will probably see some weight loss every week, although I had the occasional week of none. And then a week of one or two, and then two or one, and maybe a week of no loss again. (I'm a slow loser) But finally you wake up one morning at goal!
Ah, this is perfect...I'm an artist and graphic designer, so I love information/ideas presented in visual form. A ball bouncing down stairs- yes!

Okay, I won't let my weight weird me out...
Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #21

Quote:
I you, Pat!!! And will say this again, even though I know it makes you

WITHOUT PAT'S HELP I WOULD NEVER HAD FOUND THIS AMAZING WOE OR THIS AMAZING JUDDD "FAMILY"! She is the best of the best!!
Awwww...... I'm glad it's worked so very well for you, Linda. I just kept reading your posts over on the Main Lobby about the frustration and practically heartbreak of not being able to lose anymore, and even of gaining.

I always hesitate to even hint that perhaps JUDDD might be something to take a look at, because there are so many who (and this is a quote) "I'd rather still be morbidly obese than have to count calories".. so I understand that this plan is something that some would abhor.

I'm sure glad it works like magic though!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #22

Quote:

I'm a weirdo, I weight at night before bed and again the next morning. But I only record the morning weigh. My UpDays have always been higher than the Down Days weight. But that's understandable, I ate more food, it weighs more. My last Up Day,though, my weight was the same as the Down Day before, A very good sign. I'm down 0.88lb today. I love the bouncing ball analogy, i was gonna use that cause that's what my weight loss graph chart looks like.

Quote:
Ah, this is perfect...I'm an artist and graphic designer, so I love information/ideas presented in visual form. A ball bouncing down stairs- yes!

Okay, I won't let my weight weird me out...
Oh , I'm enthralled! I went to school for that, but I didn't keep up with it. I do it for fun now. I like to take coloring book pages and fill them in with Photoshop. How do you like my Angel Kitty? It's my Christmas Tribute to my Late Qiwi. I too love visuals and charts and graphs. I used to work for a big Company's Art Dept. but I left to travel and haven't been able to get back into the field. Now I teach English and I use what I know to make visuals for my Class.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I'm a weirdo, I weight at night before bed and again the next morning. But I only record the morning weigh. My UpDays have always been higher than the Down Days weight. But that's understandable, I ate more food, it weighs more. My last Up Day,though, my weight was the same as the Down Day before, A very good sign. I'm down 0.88lb today. I love the bouncing ball analogy, i was gonna use that cause that's what my weight loss graph chart looks like.

Oh , I'm enthralled! I went to school for that, but I didn't keep up with it. I do it for fun now. I like to take coloring book pages and fill them in with Photoshop. How do you like my Angel Kitty? It's my Christmas Tribute to my Late Qiwi. I too love visuals and charts and graphs. I used to work for a big Company's Art Dept. but I left to travel and haven't been able to get back into the field. Now I teach English and I use what I know to make visuals for my Class.

the kitty!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
That is awesome! I wish I could say I do it for fun, but I'm in my final semester of school (double major painting/graphic design) and I'm hella stressed. I dream of graduation, but the pressure won't ease up even then as I have a few commissions to slog through before I get to make fun art again. THEN I have to worry about trying to find a decent full time job around where I live in a design-related field (hint: impossible). If that fails, and it most likely will (I have designer friends making $10/hr- NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!) then I will take whatever job I can find and do freelance work on the side.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
and so nice to see you over here!! I have followed your posts on the other forums and always found them supportive, informative and caring. Glad to have you here with us bringing your wonderful ways with you! I think this newbie thread is brillant and that you started it!
Thank you!
(I really do try to be supportive. I see a lot people popping in to a thread to do nothing but be utterly unhelpful & judgmental...so I try to be extra nice!!! Thanks for noticing )

I was so happy to see so many responses to this thread today!
My son wants the computer to play World of Warcraft so I'm gonna go make some chayote soup...see y'all later! Everybody have a great day!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Hey y'all! I am not new to low carb or low carb friends. I am a frequent poster on the Blitz thread. But I have been reading some of the JUDDD posts and you all seem like a great group of folks.
Several years ago I lost 125 lbs by watching the types of carbs and their amounts. But in the past couple of years I've slowly gained a bit back due to some really stressful situations (getting my doctorate among them!). So, I'm trying to get back on track. For the past week I started a modified version of the Zig Zag method which is similar to JUDDD I believe. But I am also cycling fat and calories in addition to carbs. So far I lost 3 lbs in the first week so here's hoping it will continue to work as well.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
Hey y'all! I am not new to low carb or low carb friends. I am a frequent poster on the Blitz thread. But I have been reading some of the JUDDD posts and you all seem like a great group of folks.
Several years ago I lost 125 lbs by watching the types of carbs and their amounts. But in the past couple of years I've slowly gained a bit back due to some really stressful situations (getting my doctorate among them!). So, I'm trying to get back on track. For the past week I started a modified version of the Zig Zag method which is similar to JUDDD I believe. But I am also cycling fat and calories in addition to carbs. So far I lost 3 lbs in the first week so here's hoping it will continue to work as well.
Glad to hear from you, Dr. Artemis. Congrats on that first 3 pounds lost. I'm sure it won't be the last as you follow your plan.

I haven't read on the Blitz thread, but will go take a look and will be on the lookout for your posts. Best wishes for your continued great weight loss success!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Thanks SoHappy! The Blitz'ers are a great group of folks. Everyone does their own thing and we support each other.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11

Well I've already had several posts here in the JUDDD forum, but I'm still very new to this woe! I just started Wednesday and have lost 2# (today is Sat.) I only had 5# to go when I got on the JUDDD wagon (yeehaw!) and I'm looking to do this for maintenance for life since I also believe calorie restriction (even medium CR) to be very healthy.

I grew up a carb junkie but never had a problem with weight until my early 30s when insulin resistance caught up to me. I knew something was wrong way before that though because I had pretty bad acne as a teen, irregular periods, etc. but my doctors didn't believe I had PCOS because I didn't have actual cysts on my ovaries. I was on the bcp in my early 20s and that helped the symptoms but I didn't want to remain on the pill forever. I went off it and my symptoms came back.

Finally, in my late 20s, my doctor agreed that I had PCOS. I was put on Spironolactone to help with symptoms. In my early 30s, something (sugar?) showed higher than he wanted to see on a blood test, and I got a call to pick up a prescription for Metformin. I have been on it since then and believe it to be very beneficial and safe for me to remain on. I went off the Spiro this past winter though. I wasn't sure it was helping anymore. Metformin is the only Rx I take other than an otc allergy pill, and I would love for JUDDD to help me get off the allergy pills too! We'll see...

To make a long story shorter, I was doing fine last summer with eating a sort of French/Mediterranean inspired way with lots of veggies, meats, cream sauces, evoo, butter and other fats, some homemade breads, some pasta, a little dessert & fruit. But then Fall came and I got lazy about cooking and became way too sedentary and ate cookies all the time.

From November 2010 til this summer I packed on the pounds and was breaking out like crazy. In June I got a wake-up call when I saw what I looked like in photos from a recent vacation. I'd gone from my normal range (the healthy weight I remain when not consciously trying to lose a little more) of about 143 - 147 up to at least 170# More than I'd ever weighed, and it may have been even more pounds than that, it's just that I refused to step on the scales that whole winter/spring until I'd already been dieting for a little bit.

I started losing weight slowly (to me it seemed slow) by walking and cutting out most refined carbs and watching calories, keeping them about 1500 day. I lost at least my first 8# that way in about 6 weeks. Then I got on LC around the end of July and over 2.5 months, I lost 12 more pounds. I still considered this quite slow since in the past I'd been able to shed pounds almost by thinking about it, or so it seemed.

So with 5 more pounds to go, I was happy enough with the food on LC because it was simple, kept me full and not occupied with thoughts of food for hours, and helping control blood sugar. But I knew long-term it would be difficult with the situations in life that revolve around food, like holidays and celebrations. Plus, I just wanted some bread, potatoes, pizza, pasta, etc. once in a while. I don't need it daily, but to never have the real thing again was not a joyful prospect. Now I can have a little every other day if I want...

Anyway, thanks for starting the thread so we can "meet" others on this way
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 10-15-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Old 10-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gwynth
Stats: Lost 46, Regained 20, Have lost 3 so far
WOE: IF/CAD now
Start Date: restart Oct. 2011
Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes. I really meant it when I said I was thrilled to find you all. I'm already excited about getting back on a JUDDDD schedule and feeling much more confident.

One thing I'd like to mention for folks new to JUDDDD is that it improves your health in many ways that have nothing to do with weight. I know that when I was a faithful JUDDDDer my arthritis was far more manageable since the diet reduces inflammation. It has helped loads of people with asthma. It helps people with gum disease. It even helped my toenail fungus. Sorry. TMI.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone. If my past experience with JUDDDD will help anyone, then I'm more than happy to share.

Gwyn
Closed Thread