Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #1831
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffadowndilly View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie that sort of fell into alternate day dieting after watching a BBC documentary earlier this week. I HAD intended to do the 5:2 version because I didn't think I'd be able to fast on alternate days. I started last Wednesday and felt really good, but didn't feel so good when I ate my more normal low-carb meals on Thursday, and still felt a little stuffed on Friday morning. That made me decide to do another fast day - which I see you call Down Days? Anyway I again felt better for the 500 calorie day so, for the moment at least, I seem to be doing JUDDDD even though I know nothing about it! It's almost midnight here so I'd better get to sleep, but will return tomorrow and take a closer look around. Dilly
DDD! Sounds like you're off to a great start with this woe. Feel free to look around the forum and ask any questions.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #1832
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for about a week, after finding a reference to JUDDD on another thread. I'm fascinated! I've been doing low carb since January 2012, and serious Induction since March, and have lost 50 pounds in that time.

I seem to have hit a plateau, and have been looking for a way to bust through it. I'm hoping JUDDD can do that for me, as well as give me the health benefits that seem to go along with this alternate day fasting. I have allergies, and if this could help, that would be GREAT!

Today I ordered Dr. Johnson's book, and I think I'll wait until I can read through it to get started. I'm excited after reading you guys' results. Even after my 50 pound loss, I still have quite a ways to go. At least 135 more pounds to get into normal weight range, but more like 150 more to hit my own goal.

I'm excited to join you guys and continue on with my losses!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #1833
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: soontobesexy'ntx
Stats: 208/206/???
WOE: HCG/OWL plan
Start Date: which time??
my talking scale died (legally blind cant see regular scales) tryed replacing battery and it still doesn't work so no weighing til I can buy a new one $$$
but I'm determined not to quit so I'll be going by clothes size.
I know my Anna (streach 18s) from Penneys are too big planning on going jean shopping this coming weekend.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #1834
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 55 5'6" 160/156/140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
New to JUDDD after 5 yrs. of SB

I first heard of JUDDD ealier this month after stumbling upon this great group of JUDDDers here. Your enthusiastic, encouraging and supportive posts have inspired me to read the book, and to learn all I can from your experiences successfully zig zagging calories & carbs. before trying it myself.

Although I love the wide variety of healthy food choices on South Beach, I haven't been able to drop my weight below 155 in the last few years, ever since regaining 20 lbs. after having to drastically limit my exercise level because of severe hip pain from Osteoarthritis. I'm scheduled to have hip replacement surgery on Sept. 10th., so I figure these next three weeks are a perfect time for me to begin experimenting with the JUDDD WOE.

My plan is to start today Sat. 8/18 with an UD of 1,500 max., a MD of 1,000 max. on Sun., then do my first DD of 500 max. on Mon. During my first two weeks of DDs on M-W-F, I'll be using Bill Phillips Right Light meal replacement shakes.

Thanks for being here!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #1835
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
Hi, everyone -- I wanted to stop in and introduce myself -- today is my first day on JUDDD! I had dropped some weight doing Stillman's a few weeks ago, but I knew that was not going to be sustainable -- just wanted some quick results before vacation two weeks ago. I lost 10 pounds, went away on vacation, and have come back having lost only 5 lbs. lol I guess that's to be expected, since I was eating pretty much anything and it's also TOM. Actually, I'm surprised I've gotten off this easy!

I've bought the Alternate Day Diet book and knew I'd be starting JUDDD when I got back home. It seems very do-able, and almost too good to be true. If it works for me, I'll be a happy camper. I also have PCOS, so that makes weight-loss a big challenge. However, I am psyched and motivated -- looking forward to lots of success and health benefits from this WOE!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #1836

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
to all you lovely Newbies.

I am sorry I haven't been around this past week to say hi, hope to get to know you all soon.

Happy JUDDDing!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #1837
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/202/180
Hello! Newbie here! After a lot of thread-stalking and research on JUDDD, I've decided that it makes perfect sense! I'm jumping in! I started with calorie-counting in January at 225 pounds....Lost a good chunk, then switched to Atkins. I've been losing and gaining the same 5 pounds for about 2 months now, so I'm ready to hit this WOE hard and get things moving again! There is so much support here, and I think this will help me keep on track with my UD/DD's...every day!

I'm on my first DD, and not doing too bad. I'm worried about dinner tonight, but I'm planning a closing the night with a salad that will keep me below 500 for the day.

I'm excited to be here!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #1838

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Saxy, and anyone I missed. This is a great WOE and a phenomenal group here. You'll do just great!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #1839

I love your positive attitude Saxy, big salads with just a little protein are my life saver in the evening if a DD has been a bit high.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #1840
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rowsdower
Hello everyone!

First I want to say thanks to all here on this board - it's because of the positive atmosphere, encouragement, and willingness to discuss options and provide help that motivated me to give this WOE a try. I've lurked for about two months, and have to delurk to share my story.

I'm female, 5'9", and have had weight problems since puberty. I have PCOS, and while my symptoms as far as weight have never been severe, I have always had the typical PCOS apple shape. In high school, I was consistently about fifteen pounds over what I wanted to be. I knew something was off with me when the only way I ever lost weight was when hitting the gym for two hours a day/five days a week, and limited myself to 700 calories a day was the only way I began to lose some weight. I couldn't sustain that (big surprise), lost hope, and just decided to exercise in a more sane and reasonable manner and try not to overeat. Then in college my birth control pill and PCOS (and my terrible eating habits) conspired to make me gain another ten pounds, and then another ten crept on that would. not. budge. I found myself a starving zombie on a 1200 calories-a-day diet that I tried for a week. I tried a juice fast for 10 days and lost a lot of water weight that came right back.

Finally, at 173 lbs, I decided to get off birth control and try Metformin. As soon as I switched, I lost, I kid you not, ten pounds in water weight. But the rest of the real weight was not going anywhere.

So then, after some more trial and error and halfhearted attempts at a diet, I found this site and decided to give it a try. The first few down days were terrible. Headaches, crankiness like whoah, fatigue - but I was determined to give it a few weeks. The first two weeks I didn't follow the rules too well. One of my mid days turned into a pig-out. I quickly discovered that my DDs had to be around 600 calories, even though it was suggested that newbies do closer to 20% rather than 30-35%. But one of the things I like about this WOE is its flexibility.

I am happy to report that since starting this WOE about six weeks ago, I have lost about five pounds and my clothes are fitting much more loosely. The greatest thing about this, to be honest, is that my stomach, which has always been the bane of my self image, is the flattest its ever been. The DDs are so much easier than they used to be, and I feel that I am fixed quite solidly into a comfortable routine.

JUDDD is one of the best things to happen to me. I plan to stick with this until I get down to about 140 lbs. Thank you everyone for your recipes, your suggestions, your success stories, and your enthusiasm. It's helped me more than you can know.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #1841

Rowsdower and
Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #1842

Rowsdower what a great post. I love it when we discover that we have been helping people without even knowing.

PCOS is tough, so I am thrilled that JUDDD is working for you. We all want a flat tummy, lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #1843
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I'm a long-time LC'er and board member, but have drifted away over the last few years, putting on 10 pounds and now having high cholesterol. I heard about alternate day fasting and didn't think I could do it. Then recently watched the BBC Horizon show on fasting and thought - Yes, I can! And I must! It's been less than a week and I'm down 2 pounds. I am noticing that I fluctuate from DD to UD and then back and finally settle on the new weight. I'm looking for a pound a week.

It seemed a good time to do this as I have my annual blood work and doctor's appointment in 6 weeks. I'll donate blood again in 4 weeks so will get a preview of how my cholesterol is doing.

I've already gotten lots of good ideas of ways to eat on my DD and noticing lots of good sounding recipes. As with LC eating, this forum is a great resource.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #1844

So good to have you with us here on the JUDDD threads Zib. I think the Horizon programme got a lot of people thinking about the health benefits of fasting.

As you say, LCF is a wonderful community.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #1845
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tooraloora
Stats: 222/150.7/139
WOE: 2003 calorie counting + ex./ 2012 Aug 25: JUDD
long story short

hi everyone! I will be starting JUDD within the week... a few logistics and supplies to sort out.

I lost 90 lbs (222 to 132) calorie counting and exercising (a lot!) from July 2003 to fall 2005... but then yoyo'd some for a few years, weighing mostly in the 40s, until 4 years go when I left a 25 yr unhappy marriage, and exercised less with weeks of single parenting 3 kids, and stress ate, and then happy ate too when I met a new guy (still with) who is a lean dude who likes to cook and drink wine and loll around. My weight crept up about a lb. a month or so, such that I now have 35 lbs to lose (again!) So during this 4 yrs I have tried calorie counting, many times, and an online one year program called Lean Eating, which is pretty much lc/paleo except you can eat carbs after working out (a lot of emphasis on weights). Well paleo and LC in general seem to not work for me... my calories get too high with nuts, meats, etc. YMMV, but for me, nutrient composition is not so central as calories in and out. Also on anything with strict rules or forbidden foods, my longstanding habit of all-or-none, with binging, is really triggered. Even w calorie counting, I need to have a bit of leeway +/-.

So I am interested in JUDDD in terms of my longterm comfort with calorie counting, and no forbidden foods, and every other day some big leeway and practice eating at maintenance (not over). I am a little nervous about the DDs... I have never except in the first weeks of shock in the divorce ever eaten that little! But I realize with creativity, I can stretch my cals, and there are lots of ideas here. Mostly I am keen to try some social support... my big success was on my own, but I did like the online forums in Lean Eating, even if that methodology was not right for me.

Anyone here been successful in JUDDD re curbing binging and all-or-none patterns?

cheerio for now!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #1846
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: claireann
Stats: 190/183.8/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012
Hello! I'm another one here thanks to the Horizon doc. I've been reading everything I can find about IF and ADF and have decided to go with JUDDD. I started on Monday with a DD and am on my second one today. Of course I couldn't resist standing on the scales this morning and I found I'm down 2lbs. I know that there's a yo-yo effect on JUDDD but I felt like I needed some kind of indication that I'm on the right track so this is good, I'll try to stay away from the scales for the rest of the week now so I don't get discouraged if it bounces up.

I feel like I have been trying to lose weight for the last 20 years and yet I'm heavier than I've ever been. I've tried a lot of diets and plans, nothing too extreme, just the usual diet clubs and calorie counting, but nothing has stuck for me. I had a baby a year ago and I don't want to waste another minute being overweight. I have 50lbs to lose and I have to admit I'm scared that I will never lose it, that my body just won't ever let go and respond like it should. I'm worried that even though this WOE works so well for so many others and makes such good scientific sense, it won't work for me. I want to give this a good try so am committing myself to it for at least a month and fingers crossed I can finally start to see the scale moving down rather than the slow crawl up!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #1847

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooraloora View Post
hi everyone! I will be starting JUDD within the week... a few logistics and supplies to sort out.

I lost 90 lbs (222 to 132) calorie counting and exercising (a lot!) from July 2003 to fall 2005... but then yoyo'd some for a few years, weighing mostly in the 40s, until 4 years go when I left a 25 yr unhappy marriage, and exercised less with weeks of single parenting 3 kids, and stress ate, and then happy ate too when I met a new guy (still with) who is a lean dude who likes to cook and drink wine and loll around. My weight crept up about a lb. a month or so, such that I now have 35 lbs to lose (again!) So during this 4 yrs I have tried calorie counting, many times, and an online one year program called Lean Eating, which is pretty much lc/paleo except you can eat carbs after working out (a lot of emphasis on weights). Well paleo and LC in general seem to not work for me... my calories get too high with nuts, meats, etc. YMMV, but for me, nutrient composition is not so central as calories in and out. Also on anything with strict rules or forbidden foods, my longstanding habit of all-or-none, with binging, is really triggered. Even w calorie counting, I need to have a bit of leeway +/-.

So I am interested in JUDDD in terms of my longterm comfort with calorie counting, and no forbidden foods, and every other day some big leeway and practice eating at maintenance (not over). I am a little nervous about the DDs... I have never except in the first weeks of shock in the divorce ever eaten that little! But I realize with creativity, I can stretch my cals, and there are lots of ideas here. Mostly I am keen to try some social support... my big success was on my own, but I did like the online forums in Lean Eating, even if that methodology was not right for me.

Anyone here been successful in JUDDD re curbing binging and all-or-none patterns?

cheerio for now!
JUDDD is not recommended for those with disordered eating patterns or history. That being said, we have had a few here who have had great success re-training their minds and bodies. Just know that the alternate day feast/fast cycle could be a trigger for you. Or, as it has with so many here, it could help to normalize your relationship with food. My best advice would be to do the plan as written for a few weeks and pay close attention to how it's affecting you with regards to binge eating.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #1848

Quote:
Originally Posted by claireann View Post
Hello! I'm another one here thanks to the Horizon doc. I've been reading everything I can find about IF and ADF and have decided to go with JUDDD. I started on Monday with a DD and am on my second one today. Of course I couldn't resist standing on the scales this morning and I found I'm down 2lbs. I know that there's a yo-yo effect on JUDDD but I felt like I needed some kind of indication that I'm on the right track so this is good, I'll try to stay away from the scales for the rest of the week now so I don't get discouraged if it bounces up.

I feel like I have been trying to lose weight for the last 20 years and yet I'm heavier than I've ever been. I've tried a lot of diets and plans, nothing too extreme, just the usual diet clubs and calorie counting, but nothing has stuck for me. I had a baby a year ago and I don't want to waste another minute being overweight. I have 50lbs to lose and I have to admit I'm scared that I will never lose it, that my body just won't ever let go and respond like it should. I'm worried that even though this WOE works so well for so many others and makes such good scientific sense, it won't work for me. I want to give this a good try so am committing myself to it for at least a month and fingers crossed I can finally start to see the scale moving down rather than the slow crawl up!
I'm so glad you're committing to a full month. Sometimes we see results right away, and sometimes there's a period of healing which needs to occur. I was scared when I started that this wouldn't work for me either, but it's the ONLY thing that's worked for more than a few months. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #1849

Hello and a big Tooraloora and Clairann.

You are both off on the right foot and I am sure that this will help you lose the extra pounds.

What I will say is that coming to this site often is a great way to stay on track. The support here is truly wonderful and those who use it the most are often the most successful. Post away and ask away.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #1850
Senior LCF Member

thanks

for warm welcome... and some caution too. I agree that I need to see if this WOE is helpful or triggering re binging. I hope the following will tip the balance in my favor, all learned the hard way:
1. have a range for cals in DD and UD vs. some rigid exact goal that has me feel I have "blown" it if I am not spot on
2. no forbidden foods... and knowing I have some leeway for higher calorie foods on UD
3. having UD on my spin class (indoor cycling days), 3x a week
4. having (hopefully) some weight loss to have me feel like it's working, it's worth it (gosh I was on that Lean Eating thing, being very compliant and not seeing results... leading to some f. it eating)... knowing that weight loss will likely be in some fits and starts, and bounces, but gosh, I was totally compliant on the LE for about 3 months and lost like 2 lbs, despite feeling deprived of what ppl around me were eating). I know that eating when mad/upset/frustrated by weight is , but I think it's pretty common too.

anyhow, I have made a list of low cal, low carbish foods to have on hand for DD, and will be groc shopping and getting ready to start on Saturday.

one Q... re point #3 above, I need to have UD on M, W, F (45 min intense workout... and no I can't miss, cuz I am the teacher), so I was thinking DD on T, Th, Sun, and MD on Sat (with some options to switch Fri and Sat depending on social plans/events). Any foreseeable probs with this plan?

thanks!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #1851

Can I just ask if your class a is morning one? Most of us find that on the morning after a nourishing UD we have boundless energy for our exercise... Just saying.

I do understand that when conducting a class you use more energy than when simply joining a class but it is worth thinking about.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #1852
Senior LCF Member

the class is over the lunch hour... I fear being ravenous afterwards on a DD, so that is my thoughts re fixing 3 UDs... I realize w true alternating I would have 7 DD in a fortnight, and this way I will only have 6, but I do love this class, and find the music and camaraderie and high heart rates great for mood and stress release (and hopefully metabolism too).
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #1853

No, I think in that case you are making the right choice.

Group exercise is good for the soul. Long, long ago I taught Jazzercize, magic.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #1854
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: midtownfg
Stats: 5'10" 260 at my highest/197.0/185
WOE: JUDDD with a mash of LC and Blood Type O
Start Date: August 12, 2012
Newbie Intro

I just posted on the August Newbies thread but thought I should introduce myself here as well. I am 40 and have always been a big girl. My highest weight was in 2000-01 at 260. That's when I decided that my husband and I both needed to lose weight. I eventually got under 200 lbs and even briefly to 180 in 2009 doing the no-S diet. I gained that back plus some over the next 3 years and decided to get back on track in July by calorie counting. On July 16th 2012 I weighed 206. I hate calorie counting so on August 12th I decided to try JUDDD. I weighed 203.6 that day and am down to 199.6 today. So I lost 3 lbs in a month of calorie counting and 4 lbs in 10 days on JUDDD. I had been doing intermittent IF for a while so it was an easy transition.

My sister did JUDDD a few years ago and lost more than 20 lbs but wasn't able to keep it up. She is trying again too.

I am also doing the Eat right for your blood type diet which is mostly low carb for "O"s. I have only noticed one big change from cutting out wheat, corn, potatoes and dairy. My NAILS are growing. My nails never grow so this is exciting. But is it worth it? I haven't decided yet. But I have gotten into a good habit with avoiding certain foods so I don't see the point of going back now.

I look forward to continued success. I really need to stop buying so many groceries. I just can't eat it all when I am only eating one meal, 3 days out of the week.
Amber
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #1855
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: allisonm
Stats: 336/286/160 5'9"
WOE: LC GFCF JUDDD
Hi! I'm a long time low carber but new to JUDDD. I'm doing JUDDD low carb and paleo.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #1856

Nice to see you post here too Amber.

Allisonm. You will love JUDDing and all the great people here.

Pop over to the August Newbie thread and get to know the great crowd who are supporting each other there.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #1857
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: allisonm
Stats: 336/286/160 5'9"
WOE: LC GFCF JUDDD
Thanks Cindy!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #1858
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260+/182.2/170-175/5'5/51
WOE: Not low carb, but low crap
Just popping in to all the newbies on here!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #1859
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Welcome, everybody! Great place, great woe, great people! All the best with your early days. If we can help in any way, let us know.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #1860
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: empy22
Stats: 229/222/133
WOE: JUDDDing all the way baby.....
Start Date: 18/08/2012
Hi, I've just spent the whole morning chilling out,reading all the posts on the forum. I have been JUDDing for a week now and lost 7lbs so I think I kind of get it but I know I'm going to be posting here loads and asking lots & lots questions so I thought I'd better tell you a little about the person behind the posts and questions.

I'm um a girl, well an old woman of 31 but working on becoming a girl! So anyhoo I've been fat for the last 10 years on and off. I started my married life over half the weight I am now and can't even blame children as I was still slim straight after giving birth! No, my fatness is due to my own laziness, over indulgence and in some part due to bouts of devastating depression.

I live in a tiny village in Cambridgeshire- a very quintessential English village. I was a nurse but turned to teaching when I had my children and now have switched a less stressful job of a Teaching assistant though I do hope to go back to nursing when my DS's finish at school.

I've done every single diet that hits the mags, ads etc SW, WW, CD, LL, Atkins, Dukan, starvation etc,etc,etc but after reading about JUDD and seeing the BBC documentary about fasting I see this is something I can really do and stick to

I've got quite a bit to shift as you can see by my stats and I've got a plan of attack, I'm going to join a challenge or create one and start a diary, plus check in here daily The ultimate motivator is a trip to Walt Disney World next a year and I want to be looking hotttt in my bikini in typhoon lagoon.

So this is a little bit about me, I'm really looking forward to getting to know all you lovely people.

Emma x
Closed Thread