Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #1741
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post
question, and please tell me if I should make this a new topic:

Let's say you have an event that comes up, or a lunch/dinner out, that you really want to be an UD, but it's only a few days away and it falls on a DD. How do you "switch?" Do you create a medium day? Two DD's in a row? Do you just do an "up" meal and then make the next day a "light" up day?

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cat View Post
I'm curious about this also. Something has come up for tomorrow, which is supposed to be a DD. I'm just going to make it a light UD (medium day?)and then make Thursday my next DD.
There are many schools of thought on this. Here's a link to one of the threads started on just that topic. The beauty of JUDDD is it's versatility.

Altering Rotation due to Real Life Events

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #1742
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
question, and please tell me if I should make this a new topic:

Let's say you have an event that comes up, or a lunch/dinner out, that you really want to be an UD, but it's only a few days away and it falls on a DD. How do you "switch?" Do you create a medium day? Two DD's in a row? Do you just do an "up" meal and then make the next day a "light" up day?

Thanks in advance.
There are several threads on this. You will get varying thoughts about it. I think you should stick with your rotation, especially when you are early in. If you want to adjust, like I said, there are several threads to give you ideas of how to do it.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #1743
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I am new to Juddd sounds great I have to lose weight I am having back problems bad.i have been on Atkins for 5 days lost 10 lbs but I am sure it was water weight.i had to take steroids for a bad case of poison evy.i will never that that crap again.i ve done great on LC so I think I will do 500 LC on dd 1200 LC on up days does this ok...or am I to low ud.i can't wait to hear from all of you sounds like a great group.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #1744
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
I AM SO GLADD I FOUND JUDDD

I can't wait to weigh on Sunday. I absolutely love this WOE, it is a lifestyle not a diet I can't remember the last time I was not thinking about what I could eat, what I couldn't eat, if I could eat. This is complete freedom. Yesterday was a DD and I got through better then I thought I would, because I knew today I could eat Today is my UD, I have had breakfast and lunch and I am completely full (not stuffed) and satisfied because I ate what I was in the mood for Usually I am trying to get my mind off eating and wanting to eat things I can't have Now I am not thinking of food or eating at all. I could have a thousand kinds of chips laying around and I could have some if I wanted, but I am full. I am not sure if I will even be hungry for dinner This is so great, I feel like a normal person
Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #1745

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I am new to Juddd sounds great I have to lose weight I am having back problems bad.i have been on Atkins for 5 days lost 10 lbs but I am sure it was water weight.i had to take steroids for a bad case of poison evy.i will never that that crap again.i ve done great on LC so I think I will do 500 LC on dd 1200 LC on up days does this ok...or am I to low ud.i can't wait to hear from all of you sounds like a great group.
Have you entered your stats into the calculator on Dr. Johnson's site? You have to enter them to get your correct UD/DD numbers. Just google JUDDD and there will be a link to his site.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #1746
Major LCF Poster!

It says 1863 ud. 363 dd I can do dd ok but it will hard to eat 1863 any advice!!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #1747

If you think you won't be able to even get close to your UD number, I'd suggest adding good, healthy fats like nuts, nut butters, butter on your vegetables, avocado, etc. If you're not going to be low carb, a couple of squares of good chocolate can increase your calories for not much volume.

Trust me, there are plenty of ways to increase your calories. I'm sure I've tried them all, but sadly, not while dieting!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #1748
Major LCF Poster!

I think iam sticking with LC both days.try for awhile .what are you doing kiersmom.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #1749

I eat anything and everything as long as it's within my calories. I did take a couple of days before I started JUDDD and "carbed up" and accepted that water weight gain as part of the process. Some add carbs back slowly. Some stay low carb and do well with it too. That's one of the joys of JUDDD. You can eat however you feel best, as long as you respect your calories. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #1750
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristyn
Stats: 151/147/138
Start Date: July 2012

I just ran across JUDDD by accident last week and it made me think of the way that I USED to eat before I got married! I didn't really had a weight problem until about 10 years ago. (Post-menopausal plus I was diagnosed as hypo-thyroid 1.5 years ago) I'm on meds now and joined a fitness class and feel so much better but still have 15 pounds I want to lose. I started JUDDD last Thursday and can't wait to weigh in tomorrow morning after today being a DD. This is exciting! I'm struggling a little with DD meals but have read some great ideas from you all. Wish me luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #1751
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome I am new too.i have done Atkins and done very well each time.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #1752
Junior LCF Member

Thanks. Curious why you are switching from Atkins?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #1753
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I switched from Atkins because I couldn't face the rest of my life without birthday cake! Or cookies, or ice cream, etc. It was just too sad.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #1754

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
WOW, lots of lovely Newbies.

Do try to eat up your UD calories at least for the first 2 weeks, we need to get the surtiun going in your bodies.

LC or not LC, this will work for almost everyone. If carb cravings are an issue then LC is wise to start with. Otherwise it is a simple choice. Yes you will see a n increase in weight (probably) but it is simply water and then, when it is done it is done.

As Crazycat says, sharing food is so much a part of our lifestyles, it is a pleasure to relax with family and friends and not always have to be the odd one out. (I speak as an 11 year LC queen).

Do go over and join in the July Newbies - Post Here thread and get to know all the other newbies.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #1755
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristyn View Post
I just ran across JUDDD by accident last week and it made me think of the way that I USED to eat before I got married! I didn't really had a weight problem until about 10 years ago. (Post-menopausal plus I was diagnosed as hypo-thyroid 1.5 years ago) I'm on meds now and joined a fitness class and feel so much better but still have 15 pounds I want to lose. I started JUDDD last Thursday and can't wait to weigh in tomorrow morning after today being a DD. This is exciting! I'm struggling a little with DD meals but have read some great ideas from you all. Wish me luck!

Have you been reading my posts?? Reading yours was like deja v˙! I ate this way for years and years, was always slim, never had a problem. Since "coming home" to this wonderful lifestyle, I've been very successful in shedding the weight and truly feel better than I have in such a long, long time.

Wishing you much success! I'm sure you'll do very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

Do try to eat up your UD calories at least for the first 2 weeks, we need to get the surtiun going in your bodies.

LC or not LC, this will work for almost everyone. If carb cravings are an issue then LC is wise to start with. Otherwise it is a simple choice. Yes you will see a n increase in weight (probably) but it is simply water and then, when it is done it is done.

As Crazycat says, sharing food is so much a part of our lifestyles, it is a pleasure to relax with family and friends and not always have to be the odd one out. (I speak as an 11 year LC queen).

Do go over and join in the July Newbies - Post Here thread and get to know all the other newbies.
Kissa is a voice to heed, such a fountain of solid information and support!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #1756
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I switched from Atkins because I couldn't face the rest of my life without birthday cake! Or cookies, or ice cream, etc. It was just too sad.
LOL! I feel the same way....also love a cold beer on a hot day! Not eating much on DD is much easier than not eating the foods you love.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #1757
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Kissa, I have confusion now about UD calorie comsumption. I thought that I read to not be that concerned with eating the total calories on UD but definitely don't go over on DD? So you're saying that we should meet the daily UD requirement?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #1758
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
Hey guys. I'm just about ready to take the plunge, but since I'm coming off Dukan (LC + LF, alternating all protein days with protein/veggie days, always very little fat and carbs and not too many calories, either), what do you recommend I do on my "day before JUDDD starts"?

And do I start with a DD?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #1759

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
I concur!! I want to be able to enjoy life with my family (I have 4 kids) and not eat unlike them at every single meal. When lowcarbing I continually ate different from them and I am just tired of it. I will still be mostly low carb, but would love to enjoy eating a pretzel or bun without blowing up by 5 lbs.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristyn View Post
Kissa, I have confusion now about UD calorie comsumption. I thought that I read to not be that concerned with eating the total calories on UD but definitely don't go over on DD? So you're saying that we should meet the daily UD requirement?
There is so much discussion about this Kristyn.

Certainly there is no 'rule' saying that you must eat up to your UD number. Dr J says it is simply a guide.

However, I have been reading here for 9 months now and what I see, again and again, is that those who 'respect' their numbers for a while after starting do very well. 2 or 3 weeks is often enough.

Everyone is different, and I understand that, but one of the most vital objects of JUDDD is the activating of the Surtuin1 gene/hormone. Once this is pumping through our bodies we seem to be able to live dangerously, but we do need to trigger the Sirtuin1.

Do what you need to do, but the 'difference' between the DDs and UDs is very important. Otherwise you are simply controlling calories and not experiencing the JUDDD magic.

All of us here simply want what is best for you, we love JUDDD and want you to as well. Please try it your way, but, if you find things aren't working as you would wish, think again.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #1761
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
There is so much discussion about this Kristyn.

Certainly there is no 'rule' saying that you must eat up to your UD number. Dr J says it is simply a guide.

However, I have been reading here for 9 months now and what I see, again and again, is that those who 'respect' their numbers for a while after starting do very well. 2 or 3 weeks is often enough.

Everyone is different, and I understand that, but one of the most vital objects of JUDDD is the activating of the Surtuin1 gene/hormone. Once this is pumping through our bodies we seem to be able to live dangerously, but we do need to trigger the Sirtuin1.

Do what you need to do, but the 'difference' between the DDs and UDs is very important. Otherwise you are simply controlling calories and not experiencing the JUDDD magic.

All of us here simply want what is best for you, we love JUDDD and want you to as well. Please try it your way, but, if you find things aren't working as you would wish, think again.

Well I've only done this for a week and didn't want to mess up so I've met both requirements every day and lost 3 pounds - and I feel great! I'll do what you all have discovered works the best...and thank you for that by the way! What you say makes perfect sense about just controlling calories vs shaking things up.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #1762
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm just about ready to take the plunge, but since I'm coming off Dukan (LC + LF, alternating all protein days with protein/veggie days, always very little fat and carbs and not too many calories, either), what do you recommend I do on my "day before JUDDD starts"?

And do I start with a DD?
Can someone provide some feedback?
Old 07-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #1763

I don't know Dukan, so I have no idea about any special needs regarding transitioning to JUDDD. In general, when starting JUDDD, it's recommended that you start with a good, healthy UD, so that you'll be well fueled for your first DD. I hope this answers your question.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #1764
Major LCF Poster!

Keirasmom, that pretty much kills two birds with one stone - so thanks!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #1765
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jazz1959
Stats: 196/176/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: Nov 2,2010
Newbee here

I am almost done with my last week on the HCG diet. 25th I will be ready to start my maintenance phase . I hear so many HCG dieters doing the JUDD diet during there maintenance phase.. I just read the book The Alternate Diet (JUDD BooK) . But it says you need to do pre phase (down days) of 2 weeks doing 500 calories and for 2 weeks drinking protein shakes for your meals . And then eat what you want on your up days.. So you are actually only drinking these shakes for 7 of the 14 days.. I havent seen any one mention this here. Do you skip the beginning stage and go right into the UD and DD? I am really interested in trying this but its a little confusing here.. Can someone please explain what I should do..Thanks...Cathy
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #1766
Major LCF Poster!

Jazz, I think the shakes are recommended by the author in the beginning just to make SURE your DD calories are absolutely no more than 500 (or whatever your number is). But from what I've seen, there are many experienced calorie counters here who began immediately with regular solid food on their DD (including foods with labeled calories), but still keeping the correct LOW numbers.

That's what I plan to do.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #1767

Yes Cathy, Buttah is right. Although some people do the shakes, most of us here like real food too much. So we have chosen to do our 500 cal DDs with food.

As you will have seen in answer to Buttah's query above, do start with an UD if you can, as then you will be well nourished and realise how good a 'diet' this can be.

Looking forward to having you with us.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #1768
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: genevievew
Stats: 233/227/150
Start Date: 7/17/2012
Into my first week...

Thank you very much for the hours of lurking that have made this first few days of JUDDDing quite easy and successful for me. 2 dd's and 2ud's in and I've lost 4 lbs already... which seems crazy. My weight hasn't even fluctuated at all on the ud's either...

Im sticking with a set MWF dd and a Sat ud/Sun md until I see a stall in weight loss and then Ill consider a regular rotation. However its nice not to compromise my weekends with my husband and to be able to save some of my calories during work days so that even on dd's I can have a chicken breast and some veggies with him.

Ive had a lot of experience with low carb in the past, which is just a recipe for quitting and yoyoing the weight back for me personally: too much deprivation and isolation and Im going to binge. Knowing I just have to make it to tomorrow is really something I can stick to, and then I find when tomorrow comes Im not crazy hungry and have to work to get my calories in. That is not something I could say about trying to follow a 1500 calorie diet on a daily basis though!

Im keeping my calories simple...500 dds and 2000uds, again.. until I see a stall, then Ill consider the calculator. On my dds I put coffeemate in my coffee, and dont really need to eat til afternoon, and then I stick to miso soup or chicken broth from Trader Joes and a hard boiled egg. When I get home I have a 100 calorie sandwich thins roll and a tsp of peanut butter. At night Ill have shrimp or a chicken breast and some veggies. And I look forward to a sf jello or popsicle for dessert.. or some tea and splenda. There is something so calming about dd's for me for some reason??

Im shocked that Im not a psycho piggie on my ud's though.. I get up and get around to breakfast... this morning I had a croissant with egg sandwich and a mocha iced coffee but couldnt come close to finishing everything. I dont feel desperate to shove everything in and am not plotting my next meal... which are behaviors I have always done prior to this week.

It's so exciting to feel for the first time that this is a WOE that I could actually adhere to for the long term. Thank you for all of your great postings and support that you were giving me without even knowing it!

~Genevieve

Last edited by genevievew; 07-21-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #1769
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Welcome Genevieve. That sounds like a great plan. Work it as long as it works.

There is a long-time poster on the main board who says she does everything she has to to lose (or maintain now) and nothing she doesn't. Very smart.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #1770

Genevieve, your post has made me smile. This is how JUDDD should feel and work.

I love your simple approach. When it stops working I will change it!

Looking forward to seeing your losses.
Closed Thread