Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #1711
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
Hi Everyone!
I'm migrating over from the LC forum. I've been on a lower fat version of Atkins for about 18 months. Did really well the first 6 months and lost 35lbs. Did ok for the next six months but only lost another 5lbs. Then Christmas rolled around, my aunt died and we had to put my dad's dog to sleep, and I've been losing the same 6-8lbs since January. I never really liked the LC woe, I'm not a big meat eater and I constantly felt deprived. So here I am! I will probably stay lower carb since I'm used to it and have felt much healthier(no more bladder & respriatory infections!) but it's nice to know a cookie is no longer taboo.

I started JUDDD yesterday with a DD, totally unprepared. For some reason I just woke up Thursday and decided to go for it. I'm aiming for 30% on DD, and I'll see how it goes. I probably had about 600 calories yesterday, a little high I know but not too bad. I'll be better prepared tomorrow. It wasn't too hard, broth & coffee helped fill me up. I wasn't even starving when I woke up!

I'm hoping to lose another 20-30lbs & keep my blood sugar under control. I was pre-diabetic when I started Atkins, but have been well in the normal range for at least a year. My triglycerides are also much better now, although my cholesterol is still high.

And it's in my info but if anyone's interested-I'm 53, 5'5" and about 185lbs.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #1712
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/158.2/145; 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 17.6 lbs
Reagan01, millergirl1976, lowcarbchris, TheresaS, Jan/Crazy Cat! Whoa......long post just writing all your names.

As Newbies, keep reading all the threads. Most of your initial questions have most likely been asked and answered there. Keep us updated on how you're progressing on the weigh in threads.

DD hunger was totally eliminated for me by just cooking 2 cups veggies in 2 cups water -that's 1 qt. volume and 66 calories. No need to EVER be hungry. You'll find things on the DD's recipe threads that will work for you. Just mentioned this, because I feel bad for people saying they got "so hungry" on initial DDs. You'll love JUDDD!

P.S. The reason I recommend veggie soup or other bland high volume choices is it tends not to trigger cravings. Sometimes tastier foods can stimulate appetite, hence some people try to water fast. You'll begin to notice the real difference between true hunger and just appetite. I exercise a lot even on DDs, so need nutritious/low cal/complex carbs for energy. Some still do lc and feel better with that. Lc just made me weak and tired and I lost zero in 6 weeks. Everyone is so different.

Last edited by Heather; 07-13-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: added P.S.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #1713
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
CrazyCat, you are gonna love this woe! Seriously, I can so relate to losing over and over the very same pounds...check out my signature for encouragement. This woe SO works. And more inches keep coming off, even with no sig change in scale for the past 3-4 weeks. YES.

Best to you!

Sorry I can't keep up with so many people joining us! Welcome one and all!!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #1714
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Jan, this is a story we read again and again, and I for one can relate to it totally.

Theresa, I have no experience of HCG but lots, and lots of folks here have. JUDDD could be your answer

May I suggest those of you who haven't found it yet look at, and post on, the July Newbies Post Here thread. So many helpful people there.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #1715
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
Hi everyone!!! I'm not quite a JUDDD yet. I'm more of a JUDDD-to-be, having just finished the book and read many threads, but planning on staying w/ Dr. Dukan a wee bit longer (so far, 10 days) as it's gotten me going again!

A bit of background. I'd like to weigh around 145. Two years ago or so, I weighed 195-ish, most of it from three pregnancies, including one that miscarried horribly far along, leaving me with depression, pounds, stretched out skin, and no baby. And some fat that was still with me when I had my next, successful pregnancy, and so on... until I had two kids plus just enough extra flesh to make a medium sized toddler, or a large duffle bag.

After just ignoring the issue for years, I sort of South Beach'd my way down to around 189-ish a couple of years ago, but stayed there and didn't go much further. At least I didn't gain it back, right?

Flash forward to Feb of this year, and I decided to get serious again. But this time I was just counting calories while eating healthy and relatively low glycemic, but mostly just counting calories. In almost five months, I had lost a whopping 11 lbs. Insert sarcasm.

After getting impatient, pissed off, and gaining a 2-3 of those hard-won lbs back, I decided to make a change, nearly went on Stillman, but then heard about Dukan. In ten days, I've gotten down to 174. I'm so mad I didn't find that or JUDDD sooner!!!!!

But I can see that this is not a diet to live on, and I'd like to get and keep my metabolism back to some semblance of normal, so I'm planning my next and hopefully final stage of attack ahead of time: JUDDD

So here are my NEWBIE QUESTIONS:

1. On UD's: Do you follow what the book says (very clearly, I might add) and not count calories, just eating till you're satisfied, not pigging out, but having foods you love? Or do you follow the calories required to maintain your weight, as on the calculator? In my case that's 1750-ish. Generous, but not really feast-worthy. And my DD calculates to 371. If you average those two numbers together, it's barely over 1100 a day. Doesn't seem right.

2. How fast do you lose, on average?

3. For DD's, did you all really start w/ the diet shakes as Dr. J recommends? I eat many foods that are very measurable in terms of calories, and I would so much rather eat actual food than liquid. I'm also a very OCD calorie counter. Did anyone go right to solid food?

4. I've noticed quite a few JUDDDers at maintenance. More than I notice with other posters on other diet threads. Is this really something you can do forever?

Thank you so much.

Last edited by buttah; 07-14-2012 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: spell check is a bad writer!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #1716

Hello Buttah, maintainer here.. yes, I believe I can do this forever, and ever, and ever. Thank goodness.

I am sure you have seen that there is a lot of discussion about whether we should start off not counting the UD cals or whether it is best to count them.

Personally I did try to count them. I didn't have a lot to lose, it was a new plan and I was inexperienced at counting calories have been and LC baby for 10 years or more. I very rarely count them now.

One of the reasons that people here recommend counting them is the simple truth that so many of us with serious weight issues can eat way, way too much if told to eat 'to satisfaction'. The 'pigging out' is, sadly, what got many of us here in the first place. Having said that, there are many who do not count UD calories and lose well.

No nice cut and dried answer I am sorry.

How fast do you lose, on average? Everyone is different, really, everyone.

I have not used the shakes on DDs and the perceived wisdom of the majority here is to use real foods. There are people who were not having much success with that and who went back to using the shakes as he recommends (Adillinel for one) and then had good results.

Sorry not to be black and white in answer to these questions but that is the nature of the beast, lol.

Oh and

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #1717

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post

1. On UD's: Do you follow what the book says (very clearly, I might add) and not count calories, just eating till you're satisfied, not pigging out, but having foods you love? Or do you follow the calories required to maintain your weight, as on the calculator? In my case that's 1750-ish. Generous, but not really feast-worthy. And my DD calculates to 371. If you average those two numbers together, it's barely over 1100 a day. Doesn't seem right.
I follow the UD calories religiously but I also got fat by not eating "normally" and "to satisfaction." Some do just fine not counting on UDs. I'd recommend you count for a couple of weeks just to get a good idea of what you're actually taking in and then decide if you need to continue counting or not.

2. How fast do you lose, on average?
I have a lot to lose. I averaged 3 lbs/week in the beginning, but am now averaging about 1.5 lbs per week since I'm much closer to goal.

3. For DD's, did you all really start w/ the diet shakes as Dr. J recommends? I eat many foods that are very measurable in terms of calories, and I would so much rather eat actual food than liquid. I'm also a very OCD calorie counter. Did anyone go right to solid food?
I never used the shakes. I'll have one now and then for convenience, but real food is what got me through the first few weeks. It's really up to you, how you want to eat.

4. I've noticed quite a few JUDDDers at maintenance. More than I notice with other posters on other diet threads. Is this really something you can do forever?
I am now at 7 months on JUDDD. I absolutely believe I can do this forever. I never, ever, ever lasted more than 3 months with low carb.

Thank you so much.
As always, your experience will be unique. Cindy's given good responses.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #1718
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much, you guys.

I hope you don't mind if I repeat one thing that I really didn't phrase as a question, so no wonder you didn't answer.

On the calculator, my "normal calories" are 1750. It doesn't say "up day calories," just "normal." But it seems that most of you take that number as your UD calorie allowance. The book doesn't say to do that. I may be crazy, but 1750 is a far cry from "eat whatever you want on UD's," per Dr. J. Beyond that, 1750 is not really a number I can stick to WITHOUT counting, is it? And since my DD number is 371, if you average those two numbers together, it's barely over 1100 a day. And that's at this weight; what about when I'm lower?!

Doesn't seem right. In fact, these numbers just make JUDDD seem like super low calorie calorie cycling. Which is why Dr. J's instructions (just eat, don't overeat, don't count) seem to make FAR more sense, given that we're trying to fix metabolisms here.

Please correct my thinking.

Last edited by buttah; 07-15-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #1719
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just one more thing I will interject here about your calories, you say 1100 average per day doesn't seem right. Well, this will definitely help you lose weight and I will say you will feel more satisfied with the UD/DD cals compared to calorie restriction every single day of 1100. It really does depend on your height and age, and current weight, sounds like reasonable ##'s to me, but double check your height and weight in the calculator, be sure to enter correct pounds or kg, inches or cm, etc. What if you do 500 on DD and 1700 on UD? May be more manageable for you. I did 500 on induction, never could do less than that. Now I am up to 700 cals, still losing, albeit slowly, feeling great, and losing inches more than weight. Do a little trial and error and see what works best for you over time.

Lost 3 pounds from Jan 1 2012 til April 30 2012 by "eating healthy", LC, etc...
Lost 12 pounds from May 1 2012 til September 1 2012 with JUDDD

Down and Up 10-15# every year since 2000 with VLC, semi LC and Carb Cycling
Anticipating forever success with JUDDD!!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #1720

Well, as a basic weight loss plan, 1,100 as an average is not unusual. But, for the first 2 weeks he suggests 500 calories on you DDs. Many people here never need to go lower that 500 to lose, and some lucky people lose on the higher levels.

You can chose many levels of percentages for your weight loss mode.

We already discussed the UD calories. You may find that you lose while eating more calories than his 'limit'. This is a number that your body needs on an UD and you should not go below it.

This is not a race and so much depends on your mental attitude.

I was amazed at how quickly I lost weight even though I was only 6 or 7 pounds from my goal weight. I kept losing until I had to eat more calories to stop the losses. Nice.

I just saw Barbs post.... There you have it, just what I was saying

Last edited by Kissa; 07-15-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #1721
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks so much, you guys.

I hope you don't mind if I repeat one thing that I really didn't phrase as a question, so no wonder you didn't answer.

On the calculator, my "normal calories" are 1750. It doesn't say "up day calories," just "normal." But it seems that most of you take that number as your UD calorie allowance. The book doesn't say to do that. I may be crazy, but 1750 is a far cry from "eat whatever you want on UD's," per Dr. J. Beyond that, 1750 is not really a number I can stick to WITHOUT counting, is it? And since my DD number is 371, if you average those two numbers together, it's barely over 1100 a day. And that's at this weight; what about when I'm lower?!

Doesn't seem right. In fact, these numbers just make JUDDD seem like super low calorie calorie cycling. Which is why Dr. J's instructions (just eat, don't overeat, don't count) seem to make FAR more sense, given that we're trying to fix metabolisms here.

Please correct my thinking.
I think one of the problems that got me in trouble in the first place was eating what I wanted. So when I started JUDDD, I did track calories. I really needed to relearn how many calories was in the food I was eating so I can learn to eat what really should be normal. That's just the point, we need to relearn what is normal. Now I just loosely track UD cals, still pretty strict DD tracking. And learning to be satisfied with less calories, making wiser food choices so I can feel my best. And yes, I do have ice cream every other day, just not tons.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #1722

You know this is not a big deal, you may be over thinking things. Have a look at this.

IT'S SO SIMPLE....REALLY!!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #1723
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Hello everyone I think I have decided on a mix of JUDDD and LC I think this will not only help with portion control, but also bordom If I have a day where I just have to have something sweet it won't be the end of the diet I have dabbled in IF and LC so I don't have a problem with a low calorie day and LC keeps me full and satisfied, I just get bored with the same thing everyday. I believe this will be the perfect blend for me We all have to find our own way and I really think this is mine I am really excited about this new journey and sharing it with all of you
Old 07-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #1724
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose63 View Post
I think one of the problems that got me in trouble in the first place was eating what I wanted. So when I started JUDDD, I did track calories. I really needed to relearn how many calories was in the food I was eating so I can learn to eat what really should be normal. That's just the point, we need to relearn what is normal. Now I just loosely track UD cals, still pretty strict DD tracking. And learning to be satisfied with less calories, making wiser food choices so I can feel my best. And yes, I do have ice cream every other day, just not tons.

I have been counting calories AND eating very healthy food (no sugar, low glycemic, lean protein, etc.) for over a year. So while I hear what you're saying, I've been slowly losing (very slowly) for quite some time. I do know what I'm eating. And yes, I entered the correct numbers.

I guess I'm just surprised that (at least it seems) most people here completely ignore the instructions in the book and have made the "normal calories" on the calculator their designated UD caloric intake. Which the book says nothing about doing. Perhaps there are many people who didn't even buy/read the book and just use that calculator. Although even on the web page, it says nothing about restricting UD calories to the "normal" number.

Also, if I were to eat 1100 calories *every* day (rather than average), I know from experience, my weight loss eventually grinds to a near halt. Starvation mode kicks in, and I know I'm not getting proper nutrition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
You know this is not a big deal, you may be over thinking things. Have a look at this.

IT'S SO SIMPLE....REALLY!!
This just confirmed my question. To stay below 1700 cannot be done without carefully counting. So how does that make me "dieting only half the time?" Sounds like I'm dieting ALL the time, just less so on UD. (it would be different if my UD number was 2000 or higher, as some of you have!) See what I mean?

Sorry to harp. I'm just confused. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by buttah; 07-15-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 07-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #1725

Just do what you feel comfortable with, I would be surprised if, eating as you have described you do, you top 2,000 calories very often. But if you do, no one here will give you a hard time. If it works for you just do it.

If it doesn't that is the time to think again.

Please don't think you are 'harping on'. I like that you are so inquisitive.

Jump in and give it a go.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #1726
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
I'm still a newbie...

Hi Buttah, I'm still a new new newbie. I have tried every diet known to man. I still have an aversion to grapefruit, just the thought of it makes me a little woozy. My Dr. recommended New Atkins. I had previously used weights to get down to 170. Couldn't follow the 1200 calorie diet trainer wanted me to stick to. I decided for some reason this time I could do Atkins. I have tried before and I think I almost lost it after a serious depletion of serotonin. Quickly followed by eating lots of sugar. Lol.

Anyway, started Atkins end of May 2012, and did pretty well. No cravings. I did have one cheat dessert at a work dinner. Gained 4lbs of water weight, and then it took two more weeks to get that off. Poked around low carb friends and saw something about JUDDD. I could lose weight and choose what I wanted to eat. If I decided to eat a twinkie (which is a very bad choice and not something I want I can and it won't take two weeks to get back to pretwinkie weight. I did lose 8lbs from end of May to July 8 when I started JUDDD. I've since lost 4 more (with ups and downs). I love choosing what I want to eat. Love it.

I do bounce up and down, but it seems, since I started to be consistently on a downward trend.
BTW, 1st down day, I did use shakes for 2 meals and one meal bar. I was starving, and didn't feel satisfied. Next down day, I planned better, (it's a work in progress- I don't like to sit down to plan)

I started at 178 and my calories are UD 1829 and 457 DD. I try to stick to this, mostly during the week and when I'm home. I have gone over a bit a few up days, and as high as 600 on a really bad DD. It gets easier each down day and up days as long as I let myself have what I want, with in my calories,I'm good

2. How fast do you lose, on average? Not sure on this for long term, but weight chart shows, down 3lbs.-no loss, no loss, -1lb. no loss, no loss, +2lbs., -1lb., -1lb. Really weird, but seems to be the norm around here with bouncing.

3. For DD's, did you all really start w/ the diet shakes as Dr. J recommends? I eat many foods that are very measurable in terms of calories, and I would so much rather eat actual food than liquid. I'm also a very OCD calorie counter. Did anyone go right to solid food? 1 day of shakes, yuck, I really like the shakes for breakfast usually. But I needed real food.

4. I've noticed quite a few JUDDDers at maintenance. More than I notice with other posters on other diet threads. Is this really something you can do forever? I can't weight to be in maintenance! I think I could do this long term. I don't feel deprived on UD's and I feel really powerful on DD's -really hungry but really powerful.

Try it for a month or so, very supportive JUDDD friends and you can lose weight and be satisfied.

Holly

Last edited by hollyitworks; 07-15-2012 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: oops long and need to bold some words.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #1727
Major LCF Poster!

Holly, thanks so much for your post. For a second I thought you were asking me all those questions. Gotta go back and read again!

Last edited by buttah; 07-15-2012 at 04:43 PM..
Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #1728
Senior LCF Member

Has anyone ever tried to combine LC and JUDDD or is that the wrong route to go with JUDDD I have not read the book so I would love any feed back or suggestions you guys have for me I was trying to think of a way to do this without counting calories except for DD. I thought I would be safe sticking to whole foods proteins and good fat on UD. Any thoughts
Old 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #1729
Major LCF Poster!

I could be wrong but I think quite a few people have LC & JUDDD as their woe.
After I get over the thrill of being able to have carbs again (I'm a JUDDD newbie too) I plan on doing a lower carb or South Beach version of JUDDD. MY DD are already VLC. There's just no health benefits to all that sugar & white flour. In fact, the pizza crust I was so excited about having tonight gave me a terrible stomach ache. White bread doesn't sit too well either.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #1730
Major LCF Poster!

I always eat low carb (and low sugar w/ as low fat as possible - not Atkins), unless I'm really treating myself. I have better bloodwork that way than any other way. And I'm just happier.

I just have to say that with the discovery of Shirataki noodles (the Miracle ones with zero calories), I really think I can JUDDD.

I have two amazing Shirataki recipes that I will try to post wherever the right place is. The amount of yummy food for the number of calories is staggeringly low.

Thanks for answering my questions!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #1731
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, I feel better. I was reading more posts and found quite a few people LC and JUDDD. When I eat carbs it seems to put me into a sugar frenzy then the next day I fell horrible I appreciate the feed back
Old 07-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #1732

Tons of folks here do just that and find it very successful, but the LC is simply a choice, Sunshine.

JUDDD is about calories and the rotations.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #1733
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
You read like I read, Buttah

I love reading about how/what everyone is doing on JUDDD. I can't believe this is working, but it seems to be. DD's are hard but I know I'll be able to eat whatever soon. When I can eat what I want, it doesn't seem so important

Holly
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #1734
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kissa, it looks like you have done really well. I counted my calories yesterday, UD, eventhough I was doing it low carb. I thought it might be important and it wasn't so terrible counting the calories. I will probably switch to concentrating on the calories and not so much the LC, because like I said I get tired of the same thing everyday. At least if I make sure to count my calories weather LC or not my diet won't be destroyed. When I stick to whole foods and drinking water with LC I tend to stay satisfied longer, but I will count those calories just incase. Thanks for the info
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #1735

Sunshinegir, I think you will love the freedom to include extra vegetables and some lovely fruits into you menu, while still remaining LC.

Do join in on the July Newbies - Post here tread if you haven't already, lots of support there.

And we have a daily weigh in thread and a couple of 'What did you eat today threads'. We have just today separated the UD and DD threads there so those on DDs don't have to read about all the gorgeous food other folks are eating. lol.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #1736
Senior LCF Member

I will go find the July newbies thank you so much for your help. The different sights for UD and DD was brilliant. I will stick with fruits and vegetables though. I feel really good when I stick to whole foods and not so much junk food. Thanks Kissa you have been a great help. I think I am going to enjoy it here
Old 07-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #1737

Believe me, you will!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #1738
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
Back after a few days of bad eating.

I do LC and JUDDD and in just two week's time, I lost 3 lbs. I was stuck at 221-222 for a good 2 months.

Time to get back on track and fight for my health!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #1739
Major LCF Poster!

question, and please tell me if I should make this a new topic:

Let's say you have an event that comes up, or a lunch/dinner out, that you really want to be an UD, but it's only a few days away and it falls on a DD. How do you "switch?" Do you create a medium day? Two DD's in a row? Do you just do an "up" meal and then make the next day a "light" up day?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #1740
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
question, and please tell me if I should make this a new topic:

Let's say you have an event that comes up, or a lunch/dinner out, that you really want to be an UD, but it's only a few days away and it falls on a DD. How do you "switch?" Do you create a medium day? Two DD's in a row? Do you just do an "up" meal and then make the next day a "light" up day?

Thanks in advance.
I'm curious about this also. Something has come up for tomorrow, which is supposed to be a DD. I'm just going to make it a light UD (medium day?)and then make Thursday my next DD.
Closed Thread