Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #1351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
I really want to try JUDD. I would love to hear from some who manages insulin issues particularly low blood sugar from insulin resistance. Has JUDD helped this? I have pretty much given up on trying to lose weight and I am just happy I have stopped gaining for now. So I am most intrigued about the health benefits of JUDD right now, I just feel lousy when I do not eat often enough so I wonder how long after starting this woe before it levels out and I stop feeling hypoglycemic? Thanks for any replies!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #1352
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hello MSN and welcome to the JUDDD boards.

May I suggest that you put this question as a new post with a title mention blood sugar levels or hypoglycaemia?

There are a number of JUDDDers here who I am sure can advise you if they see your question.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #1353
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kitty-Ann
Hi my name is Kitty.

I'm 20 (nearly 21!) and from the North East of England.
I put on a lot of weight when I visited the US to study, and although I've lost 6lbs already by cutting out takeaways, chocolate and sweets I still want to lose another stone and a half. (By resisting choc and sweets entirely since feb I feel ready to commit myself to JUDDDD)

I decided to join here because I've been interested in the JUDDD diet for a while, and because you all seem so friendly and supportive!

Today is my first down day.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #1354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty-Ann View Post

I decided to join here because I've been interested in the JUDDD diet for a while, and because you all seem so friendly and supportive!

Kitty Ann!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #1355
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beachgirl6976
Stats: (240 Highest) Starting Juddd 151/143/120 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD - Previous, LC/Atkins, 4HB, WW
Start Date: 4/8/12
Kitty, MSN08, jlgousie, happygal, LilliHop and twinkabelle!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #1356
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsshady
Stats: 180/139.6/129
On my first Up Day of JUDDD!

Hello all! A friend introduced the JUDDD WOE to me last Sunday and I decided I would join her. I began yesterday with my first Down Day and kept it at 598 (I am allowing myself between 400-600 cals on my down days but will make sure I average out to more less than 500 days). I got in a 3 mile walk but definitely felt a little sluggish. Today I feel great and saw a loss of .6 pounds from yesterday even with TOM! (I ALWAYS gain during TOM but not this month!) I am pretty new at Low Carb eating and still am not restricting my carbs severely as I am hypothyroid and a mommy to a very active 1 year old and part time teacher who is often strapped for time.

For those of you who have been doing JUDDD for some time, what are some of the foods that you consume during your down days? I had fat free broth, green beans, grilled chicken, carrots, cucumber, and slim fast shakes yesterday. I plan to pick up a bunch of vegetables and some lean chicken and fish so that I can keep my protein and energy up. Any other suggestions?

Also, do you workout on the down days? I still want to lose about 10 pounds and have many inches to lose. Any suggestions for a newbie would be welcomed!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty-Ann View Post
Hi my name is Kitty.

I'm 20 (nearly 21!) and from the North East of England.
I put on a lot of weight when I visited the US to study, and although I've lost 6lbs already by cutting out takeaways, chocolate and sweets I still want to lose another stone and a half. (By resisting choc and sweets entirely since feb I feel ready to commit myself to JUDDDD).
I decided to join here because I've been interested in the JUDDD diet for a while, and because you all seem so friendly and supportive
Hello Kitty-Ann, lovely yo have another UK JUDDDer with us, we are turning into quite a big group. Please have a look at out UK/EUROPE/Australia thread and come visit us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsshady View Post
Hello all! A friend introduced the JUDDD WOE to me last Sunday and I decided I would join her. I began yesterday with my first Down Day and kept it at 598 (I am allowing myself between 400-600 cals on my down days but will make sure I average out to more less than 500 days). I got in a 3 mile walk but definitely felt a little sluggish. Today I feel great and saw a loss of .6 pounds from yesterday even with TOM! (I ALWAYS gain during TOM but not this month!) I am pretty new at Low Carb eating and still am not restricting my carbs severely as I am hypothyroid and a mommy to a very active 1 year old and part time teacher who is often strapped for time.

For those of you who have been doing JUDDD for some time, what are some of the foods that you consume during your down days? I had fat free broth, green beans, grilled chicken, carrots, cucumber, and slim fast shakes yesterday. I plan to pick up a bunch of vegetables and some lean chicken and fish so that I can keep my protein and energy up. Any other suggestions?

Also, do you workout on the down days? I still want to lose about 10 pounds and have many inches to lose. Any suggestions for a newbie would be welcomed!
Mrsshady, do have a look at our 'sticky' threads at the top of the JUDDD forum. We have a great DD only recipe thread there and lots of people use the HCG recipes thread too.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #1358
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shmuhdenise
Stats: 450+/321/140
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD
Start Date: March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmuhdenise View Post
I ran across this forum while I was surfing the net for low carb recipes. Yesterday while I was looking through the forum I noticed the listing for JUDDD. I decided I would try it. LOL.

At my heaviest (that I know of, although it is most likely more) I was at 450. Currently, I am back to the weight I was 8 years ago (I don't know the exact number I was then, but at least I can get into the clothes that I had 8 years ago).

I started atkins at the beginning of March 2011, sticking to it (with a few cheats here and there) until right before thanksgiving in 2011. When I started atkins I weighed around 425 and in December 2011, I was at 325 - 100lbs lighter! I got off of atkins over the holidays and have not been able to stick to it like I did last year. Which is the reason why I am only down to 4lbs - although I have lost and gained quite a bit over the last 3 months. I have around 180lbs more or less to go. My short term goal is to get under 300 and get into my size 26 jeans that I bought a few months ago.

Here are some pictures of me in the last few years:

I have not read the book for JUDDD but did read over the website. I have a couple questions. I noticed that many of the people that are doing JUDDD have less then 100lbs to lose. I have over 150lbs to lose. Is this for people that have less to lose? Also I exercise 7 days a week for at least an hour. How does exercise effect the DD calories? Also I put in my weight/height/etc. on the JUDDD website, the calorie count seems high to me - actually really high. For exercise 6-7 days per week, UD is 3840! DD is 768. When I select no exercise UD are 2671 and DD are 534. Do you suggest I stick to the 500 on the DD for the first 2 weeks and then recalculate after that?

This morning I had an appointment with my trainer at 8:30am, before that I ate 1/2 an atkins bar (I know that the site says to stick to the protein drinks that first 2 weeks...). Now (10:20am) I am drinking coffee with a little almond milk and splenda, I'm starting to feel hungry but hoping to hold out until noon. I'm not crazy about the protein shakes (I have some atkins brand shakes). Any suggests on how to make them taste better?? LOL

I am posting my calorie intake on MyFitnessPals (I've been using it off and on for the last 6 months).

Hope you all have a great day!

Denise
I'm down almost 10lbs since I started last friday!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #1359
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Hi

Hi. I'm Kristin. Love this forum, and have spent a ridiculous number of hours reading everything. You guys are fabulous. I have been reluctant to jump in, perhaps because of fear of failure, perhaps just being the new kid in class. Or maybe it's that I think I should be strong enough to take care of this on my own.
A thread on stubborn, resistant-to-LC menopausal pudge got me here. I love almost everything about menopause and have no desire to spend these years feeling unhappy with this body. Nor do I want to spend the rest of my life living on eggs and salami.
So. Yesterday was my second DD. it was challenging but doable. I suspect it'll be far better with company.
I'll be in and out of touch, with traveling, but I'm in. Thanks so much for all of your contributions here, both the victories (which are mind blowing), and the struggles. So inspiring.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmuhdenise View Post
I'm down almost 10lbs since I started last friday!
This is just so lovely to read -Denise? Worthy of posting in the WHOOHOO thread don't your think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Hi. I'm Kristin. Love this forum, and have spent a ridiculous number of hours reading everything. You guys are fabulous. I have been reluctant to jump in, perhaps because of fear of failure, perhaps just being the new kid in class. Or maybe it's that I think I should be strong enough to take care of this on my own.
A thread on stubborn, resistant-to-LC menopausal pudge got me here. I love almost everything about menopause and have no desire to spend these years feeling unhappy with this body. Nor do I want to spend the rest of my life living on eggs and salami.
So. Yesterday was my second DD. it was challenging but doable. I suspect it'll be far better with company.
I'll be in and out of touch, with traveling, but I'm in. Thanks so much for all of your contributions here, both the victories (which are mind blowing), and the struggles. So inspiring.
Kristin, glad you like the threads here in the JUDDD forum, a pretty special crowd of people, as you say. Enjoy your journey JUDDDing.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #1361
Jez
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jez
WOE: Primal
Start Date: 12/12/13
I introduced myself a month or so ago. I strayed from JUDDD after only a few days of being on it, despite really liking it, and then couldn't get back on the wagon. I'd like to get back to focusing on getting Paleo/Primal, but have the perks of quicker weight loss with JUDDD. Is anyone doing JUDDD and paleo/primal? Is there a thread?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #1362

Jez, lots do Paleo/Primal JUDDD. Try posting a new thread asking the same question and I am sure you will have responses.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #1363
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Diana58
Stats: 220/215/160
WOE: Atkins/General
Start Date: 4/14/12
Hi all ...

I'm a bit confused: The website and the explanation of JUDDD says you can eat whatever you want on UP's and as much as you want. Yet: many of you seem to count calories, carbs, etc .. on those days.

Which is it?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #1364

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana58 View Post
Hi all ...

I'm a bit confused: The website and the explanation of JUDDD says you can eat whatever you want on UP's and as much as you want. Yet: many of you seem to count calories, carbs, etc .. on those days.

Which is it?
Just because you CAN eat what you want, does not mean you SHOULD Some do it for health, some for weight loss, some because they have medical conditions such as diabetes that requires they watch closely what they eat. We all have our various reasons.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #1365
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willpower :)
Stats: 211/179/145
WOE: Low Carb + JUDDD
Start Date: 1/1/2012
Hello all!! I have just started JUDDD in addition to my slow moving LC diet. I have been interested in the process for awhile, and it seems so crazy that it might just work! Monday was my 1st UD, and today is my 1st DD. Altho I am experienced at counting carbs, I have never actually counted calories before. When it comes to calories, I have to keep in mind that my body does not like sugar, or perhaps it likes it too much, but either way all calories are not created equal for me. So that is why I am going to remain LC. I am hoping to break thru a plateau with this new way of eating!! Looking forward to meeting some new people, and dropping some weight!

It's time for a change, and failure is not an option.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #1366
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pig2twig
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 25.4.12
Hi everyone! I discovered JUDDD last year and thought it was brilliant but as usual I cheated (why???!!!) and fell off the wagon. Last week I had the great idea of combining JUDDD with low carb and thought I was sooo clever...then I discovered you had all beat me to it!!
I have been doing it half-heartedly but after reading your inspirational posts and gorgeous recipes (though I wish we could get some of the great stuff you all have here in the UK) I am throwing myself into it properly so this is day 1...down day. Wish me luck :-)
Old 04-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #1367

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
and good luck Willpower and Twig!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #1368

Welcome, Diana, Trish and Pig2twig.

Diana, we had a direct answer from Dr Johnson himself, on this exact question.

I'll try to find the post for you. Here you go. Dr. J responded to my questions!

Last edited by Kissa; 04-25-2012 at 09:40 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #1369
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TuesdayBlue
Stats: 222.2/220.4/???Size 10
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 07/14/2014
Lurker Stepping Out

Hello All!

I wanted to stop by and give a quick "hello" and thank you all for the threads you have been posting. They have been very informative and very helpful.

I have read, read and read some more and I feel like I have the tools to start this way of eating. I have the support of my family and I have let a few close friends know my plan. The only request my husband had was for me to put a calendar on the fridge so he would know my Up Days/Down Days.

Anway, tomorrow is my first Down Day. I look forward to getting to know all of you better.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #1370
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Welcome, Tuesday. Enjoy!
Kristin
Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #1371

TuesdayBlue, lovely to have you JUDDDing with us. Enjoy!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #1372
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scammble
Stats: 297/255/undecided
WOE: Low carb- no specific plan
Start Date: 08-26-13
Giving Juddd a whirl

Hi. My name is Stacey and I've been on lowcarbfriends for many years and had great success following Atkins planand then life happened and the rebound cycle begins. Rinse and repeat that scenario and I'm once again at my high number and searching for something that is truly maintainable. I've been reading through this forum for the past couple weeks and kind of by accident and a crazy morning ended up with no time for breakfast or to pack a lunch if I wanted to make it work on time. I did have a vegetable beef Campbell's soup at hand things in my desk and it had 70 calories so I figured it was a great beginning for a DD. I'm only 3 days in but this seems to good (and easy) to be true. I am quite content and pleased with the user friendly aspect o this plan. Won't be weighing for a few more days but wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for their informative posts and friendly atmosphere. Hope this is THE plan that I've been hoping for.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #1373
Senior LCF Member

Love the name Pig2Twig!!!

Question for the Forum: Do most JUDDDERS do 24 hr cycles, interrupted by a nights sleep? I saw it was recommended to do 36 hrs, but that is pretty hard to keep straight. I am starting out with the 36hrs cycles, but I don't know how long I can keep it up, not because I am hungry, but because it confuses me. Currently I use 12AM & 12PM as my go times. What do most people do?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #1374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Good question Trisha, I'm confused by that too... Did I missed a chapter in the book? Should we just eat under 500cals one day, and our "normal" cals the next.... I'll have my fist DD next tuesday, and I want to make it right from the start. thx!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willpower :) View Post
Love the name Pig2Twig!!!

Question for the Forum: Do most JUDDDERS do 24 hr cycles, interrupted by a nights sleep? I saw it was recommended to do 36 hrs, but that is pretty hard to keep straight. I am starting out with the 36hrs cycles, but I don't know how long I can keep it up, not because I am hungry, but because it confuses me. Currently I use 12AM & 12PM as my go times. What do most people do?
The 36 hours happens naturally and most of us don't even think about it. EX: The last thing you eat on an UD is at 8:00 p.m., then you have 500 calories over your DD, and you don't eat again until breakfast on your next UD at 8:00 a.m. That's 36 hours.

It doesn't hurt if there's a few hours difference one way or the other. Don't overthink it, and it'll be fine.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaSimpson View Post
Good question Trisha, I'm confused by that too... Did I missed a chapter in the book? Should we just eat under 500cals one day, and our "normal" cals the next.... I'll have my fist DD next tuesday, and I want to make it right from the start. thx!!!
Yes!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #1377

Stacey and Tuesday!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #1378
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Thank you Dawn, so we do actually eat during those 36 hours but just the 500cals. Now it makes sense. Thx!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #1379
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaSimpson View Post
Thank you Dawn, so we do actually eat during those 36 hours but just the 500cals. Now it makes sense. Thx!
Rebecca go to the JUDDD website, there is a calculator there that will help you find your actually needed calories in relation to how much you exercise.

And I see what you are saying about the 36hrs. I have a slightly different lifestyle than most because I work nights, so my breakfast is actually at like 1pm and supper at roughly 830pm, I guess I'll just have to find what works, and like you said, try not to over think it.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #1380
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Welcome to all the newbies! I haven't checked in here in a while. Love to see so many jumping on board.

On the UD eating question, while you can eat whatever you want on an UD and reap the health benefits of Alternate Day fasting, it is not likely that you will lose weight doing so. When Dr. J talks about eating "normally" on an UD, he is saying that in terms of defining "normal" as the calories calculated on his site (at least that's the way I understand it).

"Normal" for must of us is not a well-known concept, or we likely wouldn't need to be on a weight loss board in the first place. If normal for you is 3000+ calories, then no, you can't eat normally. I've seen people try to do this without counting UD's, and I'm sorry to say it simply doesn't work. You need to plan and count those UD's every bit as much as you need to plan and count the DD's.

And then there are some of us (me included) who find that eating "normally" only nets us about 1100-1200 calories. And that isn't enough to stop the stress response of a DD, and our bodies go into starvation mode and we don't lose either.

In maintenance, you can get away with FD's (free days--no counting) every so often. But until then, respect those numbers, both UD and DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I introduced myself a month or so ago. I strayed from JUDDD after only a few days of being on it, despite really liking it, and then couldn't get back on the wagon. I'd like to get back to focusing on getting Paleo/Primal, but have the perks of quicker weight loss with JUDDD. Is anyone doing JUDDD and paleo/primal? Is there a thread?
I follow paleo mostly. I've gotten a little lax with it lately, and my stomach is not happy with the grain I've been allowing, so will be tightening back up again. This is why I have to be careful on UD's because I have great hunger suppression from my woe, along with JUDDD, so can easily undereat by hundreds of calories on an UD if I don't count everything. I actually lost most of my weight on paleo, and came to juddd to lose the last few pounds (stalled out) and for maintenance. There are more of us too. Feel free to start a thread to shout out to paleo judders and you'll get more checking in.