Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #811
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Heidi!

There are a few of us here who have a significant amount to lose. Your weight stats seem very similar to mine. I do caution about not counting, but try it and see what happens. It wouldn't work for me, but I admit I don't have the best eye for portions.

I just ran my stats this morning and posted on here (see: the perspective thread for more details) but basically I'm losing right around 3 lbs/week making sure I respect my UD/DD numbers.

I wish you the best of luck and this is definitely the most supportive, most fun group here IMHO!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #812
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
Has anyone here been successful doing it this way? If need be, I will adjust and start counting.
I think it's a good idea to count at least on DDs.
If you have been maintaining your weight for a while, and can honestly eat the same way on UDs as you have been (without extra servings or treats to "reward" yourself for surviving yesterday's DD), then just counting DDs may be enough.

BUT--if you are re-introducing carby foods and drinks (such as potatoes, breads, desserts, beer, etc) that you have not eaten in a while, then it will be impossible to predict how they will affect you, even if they are lower in calories than LC foods you were eating; counting calories will help you feel in control when the scale starts bouncing & bouncing, and let you know if you've gone too far astray!

Also, you may be extra hungry on UDs, at least at first, and end up eating more than you "should" on this plan.
On the other hand, some people find they are not eating enough on UDs!

So, as a fellow hater of counting calories, I highly recommend you buckle down and at count DDs, but preferably count both UDs and DDs at least for the induction period. After that, you may be pretty good at estimating portions and/or have a lot of recipes with calories already calculated so you don't have to do the math over & over again!

Good luck and

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-03-2012 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
I was looking at the Weigh-in thread and it looks like most of you only need to lose 10-15 lbs or are already in Maintenance. Congrats! It looks like I will be the heaviest one of the bunch. But my thinking goes like this--this looks like the perfect plan for Maintenance, so I might as well start right now making this my lifestyle instead of a diet. Diet-thinking has gotten me nowhere in the past , so it just seems smart to me to go with this now.
Welcome!! You and I are around a similar weight, so don't worry about being alone among a bunch of maintainers! I just don't post over on the Weigh-in thread. There are so many threads to keep track of!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #814
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Wait...but...isn't there some story about an apple tree?
That's right! Apples are reserved only for those of us truly committed to the Dark Side! mwahahah!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #815

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: 293/244/174
WOE: LC My Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Heidi!

There are a few of us here who have a significant amount to lose. Your weight stats seem very similar to mine. I do caution about not counting, but try it and see what happens. It wouldn't work for me, but I admit I don't have the best eye for portions.

I just ran my stats this morning and posted on here (see: the perspective thread for more details) but basically I'm losing right around 3 lbs/week making sure I respect my UD/DD numbers.

I wish you the best of luck and this is definitely the most supportive, most fun group here IMHO!
3 lbs a week is awesome! That's my weekly goal actually.
I will be sure to stalk your threads now, LOL, to see what you are eating. Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
I think it's a good idea to count at least on DDs. *snip*

So, as a fellow hater of counting calories, I highly recommend you buckle down and at count DDs, but preferably count both UDs and DDs at least for the induction period. After that, you may be pretty good at estimating portions and/or have a lot of recipes with calories already calculated so you don't have to do the math over & over again!

Good luck and
Thanks for your opinion. Ya I'm sure you are right and it would be the way to go, I'm probably deluding myself, but I've got to try it anyway, I'm stubborn like that. (my own worst enemy) I will keep a close eye on the down days though, thanks. And thanks for the

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Welcome!! You and I are around a similar weight, so don't worry about being alone among a bunch of maintainers! I just don't post over on the Weigh-in thread. There are so many threads to keep track of!

Good to know. Thanks!

~

Last edited by heidihoopi; 02-03-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Old 02-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #816

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
My lovely daughter Vicky (MintQ8) is one of the bigger girls too. Maybe you could think about having a thread for those with over 100 to lose or something?

Anyway, it is great to have you here Heidi and as you see, we all help each other.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #817
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cdwrites
I lost 3 pounds this week, WOOOO HOOOOO!!!! This is so great. And I struggled this first week on my DDs. The first DD, I had not counted my cod liver oil so had to add that and it became 600 calories instead of 500 for the day. My other two DDs, I struggled a bit and also fell a little bit above 500. Despite that, I still lost weight. I am thrilled with this JUDDD!!!! I'll be even better this week since I have the hang of things more. Yay! DDs are hard, despite having done plenty of them on the hcg diet for 2 rounds. BUt that was 6 months ago. I forgot how hard they can be. I'm going to go back up now and read all the new posts I missed this week. Congratulations to everyone !
Old 02-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #818
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: *rosebud*
Stats: 275/183/160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwrites View Post
I lost 3 pounds this week, WOOOO HOOOOO!!!! This is so great. And I struggled this first week on my DDs. The first DD, I had not counted my cod liver oil so had to add that and it became 600 calories instead of 500 for the day. My other two DDs, I struggled a bit and also fell a little bit above 500. Despite that, I still lost weight. I am thrilled with this JUDDD!!!! I'll be even better this week since I have the hang of things more. Yay! DDs are hard, despite having done plenty of them on the hcg diet for 2 rounds. BUt that was 6 months ago. I forgot how hard they can be. I'm going to go back up now and read all the new posts I missed this week. Congratulations to everyone !

Yeah!!!!!

That's really great!!! :-)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #819
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *rosebud* View Post
Hi! I'm still trying to figure this out, but I think I am on track. :-)

Today is my 6th day on JUDDD. I have an UD today and not sure what I will eat. I have some ideas, but I can't choose! I want bacon and eggs, but I have some Greek Yogurt that I might eat instead. I don't seem to have enough calories available on my UD to satisfy me. Booooo. I guess I am just an eating machine and want to eat, eat, eat.

But, things are going good. I have lost 5.6 pounds so far on these 6 days. I had lost 7.6 but I had chinese food on my last UP along with a big glass of red wine, and gained 2.2 pounds the next day. Ooooops. Not sure if it was the chinese food or the wine. I should have just stuck with one. I didn't have any noodles or rice, just lots of the other stuff. It was hard to calculate calories because we bought the chinese food, but I had saved up about 1100 calories for the dinner and wine. Maybe I went over.

Yesterday on my DD, I went to the gym, for the first time in over 15 years. I started with some weight machines and I am a little sore and tight today. Probably not the best time for me to start going to the gym. Today the scale showed a .2 loss. I think I will wait for more gym activity until I am out of the 2 week induction period of JUDDD.

My DD are a bit rough. I'm trying to find more low calorie foods to eat. I'll be getting some bags of shredded cabbage and some laughing cow cheese. I think those will help.

I'm really happy to be here and I love all the encouragement and posts!!
Rose
I had a hard time with DDs, too . I was always over but I still did great. I'd like to be stricter going into this week. I'm doing an UD today, but tomorrow is a DD. I have a pancake breakfast to go to and I won't' be eating anything there, but I don't mind, it's fine with me and I'm used to that. I wouldn't touch a pancake anyway, but if it was an UD, I'd have some bacon. The kids will have fun so that's why I am taking them.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #820
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: *rosebud*
Stats: 275/183/160
Quote:
I had a hard time with DDs, too . I was always over but I still did great. I'd like to be stricter going into this week. I'm doing an UD today, but tomorrow is a DD. I have a pancake breakfast to go to and I won't' be eating anything there, but I don't mind, it's fine with me and I'm used to that. I wouldn't touch a pancake anyway, but if it was an UD, I'd have some bacon. The kids will have fun so that's why I am taking them.
My sister said that Hungry Girl has a bunch of low calorie recipes. She's going to let me borrow a couple of her cook books. Maybe they will help me out on the DDs. Don't like DDs......... am on one today, but so far, it hasn't been too bad.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #821
Senior LCF Member

Send along the recipes from Hungry Girl or maybe you can post some of them on here.I need to know some things to grab when I just want to chew something and I"m sick of another cup of tea. I do a lot of herbal tea and that does help. Have you tried the chicken, cabbage and laughing cow cheese recipe? I had that for all of my DDs this week, love it. It was the other meal that was tricky. I have to eat breakfast so one day I just had a protein and veggie breakfast but without the good fats, which leaves me hungry about 4 hours later. Normally I am not hungry for 5-6 hours if I have fat with a meal. Another day I had 1 egg with beef for breakfast and then, still hungry 4 hours later, so I had a shake with 1 scoop of whey (only 40 calories) and I added cinnamon and vanilla and stevia to it. That worked ok.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #822
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: agehr
Hi, My name is Arlene, site name agehr. I think I have tried every diet or food plan in the books. I know, from experimenting, that low carb treats me the best. Years ago I went to a program called, Weight Loss Clinic. There you start at 500 calories and when you lost your weight, more calories were added. It was very expensive. I went there for about a year and lost nicely. Weighed in every day and saw a nurse who took my vitals every day. I liked that idea and did very well on the plan. Then quit...and you all know what happens then. I gained it all back and then some, I should say gained much moreback.
This JUDDD idea sounds good to me and upon lurking for a while, I decided to jump in. I am going on 81 years old,that's chronological age, but feel younger. I have been married going on 59 years. I am a retired school teacher and the dear Lord has given me over twenty wonderful years of retirement. I have two wonderful girls and had a boy, but he took his own life a few years ago. That was the most heart-braking thing that has ever happened to my family and me. I wish all of you success and wellness as you travel through your weight loss journey. Hugs, Arlene

Last edited by agehr; 02-06-2012 at 04:55 AM..
Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #823

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Arlene, wow I think you are going to be the doyenne of our JUDDD family. Thank you for sharing your details with us. You have been through tough times, but are clearly a fighter.

I believe that JUDDD will suit you very well, as you like checking in and are comfortable counting calories.

Visit every day and hop around the thread, ask whatever you want and usual one of the 'experts' has an answer.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #824

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Arlene! I do hope you find JUDDD to be as wonderful as I do! This is the nicest, most supportive and informative group on the web as far as I can tell. Make yourself at home here!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #825
Blabbermouth!!!

Arlene! Glad to have you join us! ~~hugs~~
Old 02-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #826
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Welcome Arlene! Glad to have you with us. I'm sorry for the loss of your son. I look forward to getting to know you more.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #827
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Hello everyone! I have a lot of thinking to do.
Everyone of ya'll have given me lots to think about.
The book, is it in store's like Walmart?
I will read the book before I commit to JUDDD
Yall lose weight at a good pace with this WOE.
Thanks everyone
Marylouise
Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #828
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agehr View Post
Hi, My name is Arlene, site name agehr. I think I have tried every diet or food plan in the books. I know, from experimenting, that low carb treats me the best. Years ago I went to a program called, Weight Loss Clinic. There you start at 500 calories and when you lost your weight, more calories were added. It was very expensive. I went there for about a year and lost nicely. Weighed in every day and saw a nurse who took my vitals every day. I liked that idea and did very well on the plan. Then quit...and you all know what happens then. I gained it all back and then some, I should say gained much moreback.
This JUDDD idea sounds good to me and upon lurking for a while, I decided to jump in. I am going on 81 years old,that's chronological age, but feel younger. I have been married going on 59 years. I am a retired school teacher and the dear Lord has given me over twenty wonderful years of retirement. I have two wonderful girls and had a boy, but he took his own life a few years ago. That was the most heart-braking thing that has ever happened to my family and me. I wish all of you success and wellness as you travel through your weight loss journey. Hugs, Arlene
I am so sorry for your loss Arlene. It breaks my heart just thinking about such a loss. I am no stranger to losses and grief and it's a struggle every day.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #829
Senior LCF Member

Just a little discouraged

I weighed in this morning, the day after a DD, and was up 1 lb. Is this normal to be down 3 and then up 1 lb? It's still a loss of 2 lbs for the week, which is pretty good. I'm not going to weigh again until the end of the week, maybe on Saturday, since Friday is DD.

I'm feeling just a tiny bit discouraged. Those DDs are hard. Does anyone else do JUDDD and have thyroid issues? I sometimes thing that all my low-carbing for the last year has affected my thyroid and that's why I have such a hard time losing weight and gain weight with TOM every month (weight that doesn't come off).
Old 02-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #830
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Oh honey! That is totally normal!!!
A lot of people have gains after a DD (which is so discouraging, if you find DDs difficult) and losses after an UD.

If you have that kind of pattern, you might be having new "lows" after your UDs but you'll miss seeing them because you're waiting to weigh after your DDs. However, maybe not seeing the bounces will be better psychologically for you!

I find it helpful to weigh every morning and then average the weights for the week. For me it's a better gauge of what's happening, because I will often have a "low" and then not see it again for a few days or a couple weeks, so it feels awkward to claim it...I feel more honest claiming the average!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #831
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh honey! That is totally normal!!!
A lot of people have gains after a DD (which is so discouraging, if you find DDs difficult) and losses after an UD.

If you have that kind of pattern, you might be having new "lows" after your UDs but you'll miss seeing them because you're waiting to weigh after your DDs. However, maybe not seeing the bounces will be better psychologically for you!

I find it helpful to weigh every morning and then average the weights for the week. For me it's a better gauge of what's happening, because I will often have a "low" and then not see it again for a few days or a couple weeks, so it feels awkward to claim it...I feel more honest claiming the average!
THanks. Good to know it is normal.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #832
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
THanks. Good to know it is normal.
Hey, CD, it's TOTALLY normal. See this thread: The Scale, She "BOUNCES"!!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #833
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Hey, CD, it's TOTALLY normal. See this thread: The Scale, She "BOUNCES"!!
Thanks Sophie...I checked it out. I see that you are on maintenance and are a previous strict LC. How many carbs are you eating now? I have been doing strict low carb for 3.5 years and 3 very low carb. It hasn't helped me with weight loss and losing that last 10 pounds. Eating higher fat had lots of health benefits as did cutting all sugar and grains, but not for weight loss. I am wanting to increase carbs now though as I think it's caused hormonal issues, maybe thyroid, too because I have eating too low. I'm having trouble. I am barely getting to 25g most days. I'd like to increase it but don't want to add grains so I've been adding back in yogurt, handful of nuts, etc., and I eat veggies but I just can't eat tons of veggies either. Any tips?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #834
Blabbermouth!!!

Heidi!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #835
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks Sophie...I checked it out. I see that you are on maintenance and are a previous strict LC. How many carbs are you eating now? I have been doing strict low carb for 3.5 years and 3 very low carb. It hasn't helped me with weight loss and losing that last 10 pounds. Eating higher fat had lots of health benefits as did cutting all sugar and grains, but not for weight loss. I am wanting to increase carbs now though as I think it's caused hormonal issues, maybe thyroid, too because I have eating too low. I'm having trouble. I am barely getting to 25g most days. I'd like to increase it but don't want to add grains so I've been adding back in yogurt, handful of nuts, etc., and I eat veggies but I just can't eat tons of veggies either. Any tips?
I really don't keep track of carbs anymore, so I don't know, but many days I'm sure it's under 100 because I tend to keep low-ISH to moderate carb foods as my staples - I still enjoy regularly eating most of the things I ate on LC.

Again, I'm not counting, just sort of know it's on the low end because of how I tend to eat most days. But I had a big eating day yesterday and probably had over 200 carbs (big mac, french fries, 2 chocolate truffles, homemade pizza, wine...)

I think some ways to get more carbs in without overdoing it, would be of course eating veggies, fruits. If you like the carbier veggies like potatoes, that would up the carbs pretty quick. Are you sensitive to grains? If not, sometimes a slab of good sourdough bread, lightly toasted and slathered in butter is a great, or some pasta as a side with a protein/fat meal.

You will get more ideas if you start a new thread in the JUDDD forum. Feel free to start new threads when you want... your posts will then be seen by everyone on the JUDDD forum because not everyone reads in here.

MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #836
MLE
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MLE
Stats: 175/140/130 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Crackin'
Start Date: June 2010/New start in 2012
Just popped in to say to the newest members of the JUDDD bud family! It is great to meet you all and read your stories. Here's to your loses & success with JUDDD!!!
Cheers!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #837

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
Sophie thank you so much. You are makin it sound do-able!!

Today is my shopping day for this month. I love cabbage!

Are you still having to take Metformin?

Hey Mary Louise!!! You might find this thread helpful:

Blood Sugar & JUDDD

Have you seen it yet? Nice to see you here
Old 02-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #838

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
Hello everyone! I have a lot of thinking to do.
Everyone of ya'll have given me lots to think about.
The book, is it in store's like Walmart?
I will read the book before I commit to JUDDD
Yall lose weight at a good pace with this WOE.
Thanks everyone
Marylouise
I found the book in my local library. It is called The Alternate Day Diet. Dr Johnson wrote it. It is small and a good bit of it has recipes, and I am finding that he doesn't advocate low carb. He talks about good nutrition and says saturated fat is bad---don't like that part don't agree with it at all. I don't think I will end up buying this book. Just reading it from the library and getting the info here is enough. But that is my opinion.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #839
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fleur
WOE: one toe into starting JUDD
Start Date: 1/18/2012
Heidi, Arlene, cd, Rosebud, and Marylouise!!

Heidi, you are not alone in having a lot to lose. I don't post on the weigh in thread- because I choose not to weigh right now. My measuring tape tells me I've lost more than I thought was possible in the 3 weeks I've been JUDDDing. I am at the end of a DD, and I can assure you, it's gotten much easier since getting through induction. From what I've read here, it gets easier for most people over time.

The support here is wonderful and the WOE really works. I was doing a moderately LC program and posting on another thread here regularly. Although they were fine with my continuing to be with them even though I'm not doing JUDDD LC, I had to leave them because I was so tired of hearing what I hard time they had staying on plan and how discouraging the slow weight loss was. The boards here don't read like that at all, and it seems to be because the plan is just that much more effective at getting the metabolism moving/keeping people satisfied. I love JUDDD
Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #840
Senior LCF Member

No weight loss

I'm almost at the end of the 2-week induction. I thought I was down a couple pounds last week. I decided to weigh today and I haven't lost any weight since starting JUDDD. I haven't had perfect 500 days, they have been over a little and yesterday I was over more, like 630 because I had a super stressful day and I just needed more protein at dinner. I eat very little fat on DDs and I do find myself adding it back in on UDs. Today is an UD and I just made a ground-beef (grass-fed) omelette, cooked in a pan with CO, added grass-fed butter to it. I had veggies, too.

I know I shouldn't throw in the towel, yet, but I just seem to have such a hard time losing and I'm tired of working so hard to get nothing.
Closed Thread