Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #661
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KJ-43
Stats: HW 279 198/176.5/170
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 10/30/06 ,restart 1/2/14,7/2/14
I just read somewhere that when putting in the calculator that the weight you put in is your maintance weight. Is this correct? if so then my numbers are incorrect and should be 447/1794. I will still do somewhere between 5-600 for dd but the ud will be a little more doable then 2000.

kj

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #662
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ-43 View Post
I just read somewhere that when putting in the calculator that the weight you put in is your maintance weight. Is this correct? if so then my numbers are incorrect and should be 447/1794. I will still do somewhere between 5-600 for dd but the ud will be a little more doable then 2000.

kj
I don't know what others do but for me, I used my goal weight.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #663
_catzy_

I wanted to add that my current goal weight is not the same as my desired maintenance weight. I will redo my numbers once I get to my first goal.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #664
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Wow so many new people!!

I wish you all the best of luck!!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #665
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ-43 View Post

kj
Some people do put in the weight they want to be in maintenance, and then use that UD calorie number right from the start, using the concept of *only feed the thin person within the fat body, and the thin person will emerge* ... but unless you are quite overweight, it's certainly more than OK and recommended to just use the UD calorie figure the calculator comes up with.

When we are quite overweight and starting on JUDDD, most of us feel that the calculator is too overly generous with the UD number. It is basing it's number on maintaining us, and then also maintaining all the extra fat weight we also entered into the calculator, so sometimes if we're quite overweight, we don't want to base our UD figure too much on that overweight figure. LOL Did I explain that OK?

I lobbed a couple of hundred calories off my UD calorie number to start with, and it worked pretty well.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #666

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Welcome, Tori! Join the crowd! This place is just growing by leaps and bounds, but I guess that happens when so much success is causing a place to shine so bright. LOL

Sounds like JUDDD is going to be right up your alley! It's nice to find a weight management plan that allows for whatever foods you enjoy eating and allows for weight loss to happen at the same time. Can't beat that.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #667
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Tori! Glad to have a new JUDDD bud. Love your avatar pic btw!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #668

Gallery: TallToriV
Stats: 192/179/145 ~ 5'10"
WOE: JUDD with low-mod carbs
Start Date: 1/17/12
PS. Thanks, Sophiethecat. That's me and the DH at last year's Marine Corps Birthday Ball.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #669

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Grr, ***'s down for maintenance! I have to enter my after dinner drink to know if I hit my calories.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #670
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
to all the Newbies!!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #671
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
New to JUDDD, but not to LC

I have been lowcarbing for about 2.5y this time and am down from a tight size 26 to a 14-16. Over the holidays this year I got a bit lax and then was having trouble with appetite and sticking to plan. So I am going to give this a try to jumpstart things again. I really need to stay fairly lowcarb as I have PCOS and insulin resistance. I'm looking forward to being here and getting to know everyone.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #672

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Tori, WWC and all the newbies, JUDDD is jumping Enjoy.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #673
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Newbies!

More JUDDD BUDDS.........fantastic!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #674
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bkwrm
Stats: 194/185/125
WOE: JUDDD/Low Carb
Hello All,

I've been lurking around here for a while and actually started JUDDD on 11/7/11. Just thought I'd finally post and say "Hey!"

In the past I've tried all sorts of plans, Atkins, Nutrisystem, WW, South Beach, ZC just to name a few. My weight has been up and down a couple of times over the past decade. Things seem to be going well so far with this WOE. My weekly weigh in day is Monday and as of this past Monday I've lost 16 pounds in 10 weeks. Not too shabby. (And that was over the holidays with several DDs turned MD/UD involved there.) I'm hopeful that this will finally be a plan that is both effective and sustainable over the long term.

Well, that's it for now. See y'all later.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #675

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Bkwrm! Glad you decided to post. Come join in all the fun discussions!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #676
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Bkwrm

Wow, you've done well for yourself with releasing 16 lbs since the first week of November. Kudos to you......but, that's what JUDDD does! I love it because it is so reliable, among other reasons!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #677
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fleur
WOE: one toe into starting JUDD
Start Date: 1/18/2012
Newbie Here

Hi, I am most of the way through my first DD on JUDD! It is also the first real day of TOM, and a day when I visited the dentist for a filling. Fun!

I didn't want to wait around and think about it too much before diving in.

I was doing a moderately LC plan, The Belly Fat Cure, but wasn't happy without freer access to fresh fruits (I'm not doing JUDD as LC- can I still join your discussion?)

So far, OK. I wouldn't want to do heavy math claculations on the 500 calories a day, but I don't feel like I'm starving to death either. I'm going to try my first batch of Shiritake noodles this evening, I think.

The thing I'm having trouble imagining is going to a couple of events that I already have planned on the DDs that they fall on with me starting today. For one thing, they are both at a distance, driving wise. For another, they involve socializing at restaurants. That's probably a concern that's been raised/answered 100 times on this board, but honestly on 500 cals I don't have the patience to hunt for it.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #678
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleur View Post
The thing I'm having trouble imagining is going to a couple of events that I already have planned on the DDs that they fall on with me starting today. For one thing, they are both at a distance, driving wise. For another, they involve socializing at restaurants. That's probably a concern that's been raised/answered 100 times on this board, but honestly on 500 cals I don't have the patience to hunt for it.Thanks!
If it's a really great restaurant or special event, I would switch days to UDs!
Or, I would fast/keep my calories as low as possible all day, then enjoy that one meal without worrying about calories, and have a normal UD the next day as scheduled.

Another option is, if the restaurant has an online menu with nutritional information, check it out and decide ahead of time what you are going to order. Many chain restaurants have options under 500 calories.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #679
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Piratejenny! Now that I'm pretty much through the first DD, and it's gone OK, I can imagine myself using very few cals until evening, and using most of the cals then. Looking at the restaurant menu in advance and planning what to have will be absolutely key. How do you "switch days" to UD's when you're still in your first 2 weeks without screwing up the results?

Someone mentioned carrying one of the "bars" in her purse in case of emergencies. Can anyone tell me about those- how many calories are they and what kind of frankenfoods do they contain? I'm categorically against artificial sweeteners. Does anyone else carry some food for sudden needs on a DD?

Last edited by fleur; 01-18-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #680
_catzy_

Quote:
Thanks, Piratejenny! Now that I'm pretty much through the first DD, and it's gone OK, I can imagine myself using very few cals until evening, and using most of the cals then. Looking at the restaurant menu in advance and planning what to have will be absolutely key. How do you "switch days" to UD's when you're still in your first 2 weeks without screwing up the results?

Someone mentioned carrying one of the "bars" in her purse in case of emergencies. Can anyone tell me about those- how many calories are they and what kind of frankenfoods do they contain? I'm categorically against artificial sweeteners. Does anyone else carry some food for sudden needs on a DD?
I mentioned that I carry one in my purse for emergencies, but I probably wouldn't eat one on a DD. I use Atkins bars and they are definitely frankenfood and contain AS so they probably wouldn't work for you. They have never bothered me and that is why I keep them on hand. I don't make a steady diet of them.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #681
Blabbermouth!!!

WWC, Bkwrm, Fleur (& Bonnie! I missed saying "hello" to you somewhere!)

Glad to have new JUDDD buds! Welcome aboard!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #682
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Bonnie. You're right about that. Asmertame + Me = Instant Headache. I had a couple of small dried apricots today (not doing this low carb) and found they gave me a nice boost for very few calories. I may carry something like that with me.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the Welcome, Sophie. How do you do your JUDD modification?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #684
_catzy_

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
WWC, Bkwrm, Fleur (& Bonnie! I missed saying "hello" to you somewhere!)

Glad to have new JUDDD buds! Welcome aboard!
That's ok, I kind of just snuck in Thanks for the welcome!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #685
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the Welcome, Sophie. How do you do your JUDD modification?
Well, it's complicated, but I started out with a regular JUDDD rotation, then around the time I reached my goal weight, I started using Pirate Jenny's "MUDDD", which you can read about here and here:

24hrUD/24hrDD experiment

PJ's *Muddd'ing*

Then I began doing another type of IF (intermittent fasting) where you fast from the time you stop eating one night until 14 + hours have passed. Like if I stopped eating at 8 p.m. then skipped b'fast as I usually do, and didn't eat until 1 p.m., then 17 hours have passed. So I would go 14 - 20 hours fasting. Then start eating according to whatever day it was (DD or FD. If DD, that meant I could have 500 - 700 calories if I wanted before FD eating started again later between 5 and 8 p.m. Didn't always need all those calories though).

Now I try to have at least one regular 36 (+/-) JUDDD DD per week, and usually getting in two of them. I still do the IF most days. The rest of the time I am MUDDDg.

BUT since I got into maintenance I also do FDs, where I don't count any calories on my UDs.

I told you it was confusing, lol. But somehow it just works for me, I don't have to think about it that much anymore.

A typical week might go like this:

Sun. dd/FD (up to 600 - 700 calories over the day until 5 to 8 p.m. when I start FD eating. I might not use all the calories).
Mon. FD (free day continues from Sun night all day, no calorie counting just eating at will, lol)
Tues. Real JUDDD DD 500 - 700 calories over 36 hrs.
Wed. FD
Thurs. dd/FD
Fri. Real JUDDD DD
Sat. FD

Though things change often, it seems.

It's recommended to do at least the first 2 weeks of JUDDD "by the book" with regular UD/DD rotations. I'm in maintenance.

HTH
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-18-2012 at 06:23 PM..
Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #686
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the explanation, Sophie. You seem to be getting the results and it works for you. The question I have is in regard to people I've seen mentioning having 3 regular DD's per week, say Mon, Wed, Fri. I don't get it, don't the UD's and DD's just alternate?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #687
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
How do you "switch days" to UD's when you're still in your first 2 weeks without screwing up the results?
There are a LOT of threads on "switching days"...I didn't realize this was happening during your initial 2 weeks, so I don't know if it would screw up anything.

But let's say your schedule was UD DD UD DD
and you'd like that 2nd DD to be UD
you could do UD DD MD UD
(MD=Medium Day; UD + DD calories ÷ 2).

Another thing I didn't think of at first is maybe just go up on the percentage scale for your DD. If you're doing 25% you could go up to 35% or even 50%. Say you still skip breakfast & lunch (or only use 50-100 calories), that might give you a couple extra hundred for dinner; 700-800 instead of 500, for example.

Quote:
Does anyone else carry some food for sudden needs on a DD?
My go-to DD emergency food is beef jerky. Not only can I keep it in my car or purse, I can get it at just about any gas station. My favorite one is Jack Links Beef Steak, 2 oz (23g protein) for only 120 calories. There's also a 1oz size. It's not super dry & chewy like most jerky, but it still takes a while to eat and keeps me full for a long time! I really enjoy it with a hot cup of coffee.

A good "busy" food is sunflower seeds in the shell. Not super filling but say you're in the car for a long time or hanging out with friends & everybody is snacking, they're great to keep you from eating worse stuff like potato chips!

I think your dried fruit idea is great too!

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, Sophie. You seem to be getting the results and it works for you. The question I have is in regard to people I've seen mentioning having 3 regular DD's per week, say Mon, Wed, Fri. I don't get it, don't the UD's and DD's just alternate?
Yes, they usually alternate.
But some people prefer having regular days for family or social reasons.
So they might have 4 UDs & 3 DDs every week instead of alternating.
This results in only one extra UD every 2 weeks, so is not a big deal in the long run for a lot of people--especially if it keeps you from feeling like an outcast every weekend or from having a lot of unplanned UDs when special events come up!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #688

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
More lovely new JUDDD friends, so good to see you, asking your questions and finding support from the great folks here.

Check out all the other threads too.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #689
hay
Funfetti Freak

Gallery: hay
Hi guys. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and am thinking about giving JUDDD a try. As someone earlier in this thread said, I don't always do well with consistent moderation. That's putting it perfectly! I have actually lost about 18 pounds or so in the past 4 months, and only want to lose about 5-10 more at the most. I guess I'm just tired of how I seem to go days or weeks or sometimes months with being so great and moderate, then go off the deep end for a day or two and feel awful about myself. I'm wondering if I would do well with this type of thing, where every other day I could go higher and eat some foods I really like more frequently without the guilt.

So, I don't know. I guess I'm still just considering. I put my numbers in the calculator and it spit out 563/1877.

My question now is -- did any of you guys jump into DDs with just normal food as opposed to shakes and what not? I'm not and never have been big on shakes, weight loss ones or not, and would honestly rather eat things like veggies and lean meats on DDs. But, I'm not sure if this would be detrimental to the 2-week induction period.

Any thoughts you would have are much appreciated.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #690
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hay View Post
Hi guys. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and am thinking about giving JUDDD a try. As someone earlier in this thread said, I don't always do well with consistent moderation. That's putting it perfectly! I have actually lost about 18 pounds or so in the past 4 months, and only want to lose about 5-10 more at the most. I guess I'm just tired of how I seem to go days or weeks or sometimes months with being so great and moderate, then go off the deep end for a day or two and feel awful about myself. I'm wondering if I would do well with this type of thing, where every other day I could go higher and eat some foods I really like more frequently without the guilt.

So, I don't know. I guess I'm still just considering. I put my numbers in the calculator and it spit out 563/1877.

My question now is -- did any of you guys jump into DDs with just normal food as opposed to shakes and what not? I'm not and never have been big on shakes, weight loss ones or not, and would honestly rather eat things like veggies and lean meats on DDs. But, I'm not sure if this would be detrimental to the 2-week induction period.

Any thoughts you would have are much appreciated.
hay, glad you delurked!

Most of us did not use the shakes and just ate real food (we like chewing, lol) but there are some who can do fine with shakes and it takes the guess-work out of calorie counting for at least one meal.

But there are many filling, low-calorie DD foods and recipes! I also like lower calorie proteins and veggies for DD, as you mentioned.

Also, if you're not sure about the calorie numbers you were given, you can post about it and give the basic info the calculators ask for, such as height, age, etc. so someone can help you tweek UD#s, if needed.

As an example from myself, I am 5'6.5" and lost well on UD calories of 1700-1800.

Have a look around the site, read a lot, and ask any questions.
Closed Thread