Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Vicky

So nice to meet you!

It's kind of special to have a mom/daughter team here.

Your mom is a real winner so any advice from her is worth following.

Enjoy your visit together.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #452
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I want to add my welcome of the new JUDDDers to all the rest here! I think you are going to absolutely LOVE this way of managing your weight. Well, for one thing.. it works, so you don't have to worry about being overweight anymore in your life.

Then too, getting to eat any of your favorite foods is a nice thing. Oh, and not ever having to face another party or holiday feast or special event that involves the sharing of wonderful food with others, and having to decline much of it because you're on a diet is pretty fun!

Also, it's a blessing to feel so much better now, so I really appreciate the benefits this fasting/feasting way of eating brings to our overall health.

Yeah.. you're going to love it!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
Thanks for the Welcome!!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #454

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Welcome Vicky, and all the other newcomers. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #455
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
Hi

MintQ8 here - long time eater - LCer on occasion and sometime other diet follower!

My Mum is Kissa - who has been very successful with both LC and now with JUDDD - so here I am giving it a go too.

Today is my first official day - it's an up day - mainly to fit in with Kissa - who I am staying with for the next 2 months (moving countries - we were in Oman and we're heading to Australia) for Christmas, New Year and Skiing! (okay apres skiing!)

Not used to counting calories - so this is going to be a bit of a challenge - but I think I'm up for it!

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
and so nice to see you joining your "Mum" (who BTW I think is a very special JUDDD BUDDD! ) and the rest of us on JUDDD! I just know with you having each other to JUDDD with it's going to be fun!

Looking forward to see your progress and success, Vicky!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Hi,
Would love to join. Did DD day yesterday under 500 cal. Not sure how many I should eat on UP day since I am 5'1" - think around 1000.
Weight yesterday was 138.6. This morning 138.0.
My goal is 121 to 125.
Am also prediabetic with no meds so will probably have to be careful on UP days.
Thanks and good luck to everyone.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetolose View Post
Hi,
Would love to join. Did DD day yesterday under 500 cal. Not sure how many I should eat on UP day since I am 5'1" - think around 1000.
Weight yesterday was 138.6. This morning 138.0.
My goal is 121 to 125.
Am also prediabetic with no meds so will probably have to be careful on UP days.
Thanks and good luck to everyone.
Welcome! We're always happy to have new folks join us here. I expect you will come to love this plan as much as we do, largely because it works for weight loss so well while it helps normalize so many of your body's physical and even mental levels of health. Oh! And there is that nice part where you get to eat the foods that you like the best and that make you feel the most satisfied and healthy.

I entered your weight of 138 and height of 5'1" and stats of female at age 30 (had to put in some age and didn't know) and a small level of exercise, since most of us don't do the sweating for hours and hours at the gym and think we've exercised well if we go for a three mile walk. LOL I used the JUDDD site and Freedieting sites. They give calorie numbers of 1681 and 1542..... so you might reasonably expect to enjoy Up Day calories of 1500 as you begin here.

You may not initially lose as fast as you would using UD calories of merely 1000, but part of JUDDD is also using your UD quotient of calories to be eating high quality foods that are nutrient dense so that you are really healing your body with food, as well as enjoying that nice little serving of cherry pie on the side, etc.

Additionally, if you can keep your UD calories up to a higher level, balanced with the very low calories of your DD, that big spread between the two days seems to work wonderful things for our health. And one of the best and most exciting things for many of us is that it helps our metabolisms run at a better and faster burn rate. Holding calories down seems to slow a metabolism. So that makes dieting hard, and hard on a metabolism. But by eating "big" every other day on JUDDD, we seem to stimulate our metabolisms to improve, and that's a good thing for us forever.

So. You might start with UDs at about 1500 and see how that works for you for a couple of weeks. Good luck with JUDDD. Glad you're here!

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-24-2011 at 07:40 AM..
Old 11-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #458
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, SoHappy. It was so nice of you to give me the information. I love to make special low carb recipes and feel on my UP days, I can use several of those while keeping my blood sugar under control and can also eat small portions of what my family is having.
Sounds like under 500 for my DD and maybe try to do 1000 to 1200 for UP days because of my blood sugar issues at first. If I am not losing, I will up to 1500
I try to walk 20 minutes 3 times a day for weight loss and to keep my blood sugar levels good.
I am excited about this. I know today is an UP day, but is going to be really hard to stay in line.
Happy Thanksgiving and thanks so much
Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #459

Quote:
Thank you so much for the warm welcome, SoHappy. It was so nice of you to give me the information. I love to make special low carb recipes and feel on my UP days, I can use several of those while keeping my blood sugar under control and can also eat small portions of what my family is having.
Sounds like under 500 for my DD and maybe try to do 1000 to 1200 for UP days because of my blood sugar issues at first. If I am not losing, I will up to 1500
I try to walk 20 minutes 3 times a day for weight loss and to keep my blood sugar levels good.
I am excited about this. I know today is an UP day, but is going to be really hard to stay in line.
Happy Thanksgiving and thanks so much
Oh, I think you will certainly lose at that 1000-1200 UD calorie level, at least for awhile... I just don't want your metabolism to crash and burn because of being so repressed over this period. At that UD level, you will be averaging only about 750-850 calories a day from those numbers, so I'm thinking this will be signaling your brain you are in a time of famine and finding little to eat. So Brain signals Metabolism to slow down, real slow, to conserve the body's need for and use of calories. But what hurts so many of us in that we don't seem to have a metabolism that pops back up again very well once we want to re-introduce more calories back into our lives. We hold calories too low, too long, and then ruin our metabolisms.

I want you to do so wonderfully well on this plan, and be so successful. And I want it to work really well for you and make you happy. And healthy. And improve your metabolism for your future well being. I'm old, so I tend to worry more and do the Mother Hen thing, I guess.

Glad you here, and wishing you great success!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loves2sing
Stats: 180.5/148.4/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart JUDDD 11/24/11 at 152.8
Coming back to JUDDD

Hi, Everyone.

I can't remember when I was here before... SoHappy, it was back when you had just started with JUDDD, I think.

I spent the last 8 months on a very rigid plan of eating. No sugar, no flour, 3 weighed-and-measured meals with no snacks in between, etc. I also found some kinds of exercise that I enjoy, NIA-dance, walking, and yoga.

I lost about 30 pounds and have had a lot of improvement in my health. No more swollen ankles at night, no more arthritis in my hands, more flexibility and more sense of well-being in my body... all good things.

I am happy to continue with the exercise forever, but I'm not happy with that way of eating for the long-term. I've begun to feel deprived, and those feelings could easily lead to binging for me.

So today is my first DD. (I'm having my Thanksgiving meal tomorrow, because that's when my children can join me.) I want to lose about 8 more pounds, promote my health, and also enjoy a wide range of food on my UDs.

Wishing all of you a peaceful day,
Cynthia
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #461

Hi, Cynthia! I remember you! I'm so glad you're back here. Sounds like you were really attending to business while you were away, but I completely identify with wanting to care for my body and my weight with a way of eating that is not just effective and easy to follow, but that lets me participate in the celebrations and feasts of life along the way without restriction, as well as just the real way I want to enjoy my life with my DH here. We enjoy going up to the little French cafe for breakfast occasionally.. real french pastries and fine coffee. On JUDDD, I just work it into my day and go on. Easy Peasy.

You will really enjoy this great group of folks who follow JUDDD these days. Lots of very friendly support and encouragement, and we're getting new followers all the time now. It's a pretty exciting place to be, I can vouch for that.

Do you know what your UD and DD calorie ceilings are going to be now? I suppose a smidge less than before, since you've lost weight, although many of us have worked those UD calorie numbers up and up to increase our rate of metabolism, so quite a few of us now eat at higher numbers in maintenance than we ever thought would be possible for us! We do push the UD calorie now with that in mind. Sort of nice to be working on current weight loss at the same time we're also working on increasing our metabolism for the future! LOL

Glad you're here again!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #462
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome, Pat.

I'm going to follow JUDDD as written in the book: 500-calorie DDs and not counting calories on UDs, just avoiding overeating and making mostly healthy choices.

I will not eat sugar or most grains very often. After 8 months without them, I am really clear that they are not healthy for my body. They are pro-inflammatory and pro-weight-gain for me. I strongly prefer being slender and having pain-free hands.

But I think they will be okay on occasion.

I'll see if this works for me. If not, I'll adjust.

I'm very comfortable with having just tea in the morning and afternoon, then eating a meal or two late in the day. That makes DDs fairly easy for me.

You may recall that I am something of a connoisseur of tea. I drink green and black teas of different varieties, as well as a wide range of herb teas. I enjoy the different flavors... Newest addition: Celestial Seasons Sugar Plum Spice.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2sing View Post
Thanks for the welcome, Pat.

I'm going to follow JUDDD as written in the book: 500-calorie DDs and not counting calories on UDs, just avoiding overeating and making mostly healthy choices.

I will not eat sugar or most grains very often. After 8 months without them, I am really clear that they are not healthy for my body. They are pro-inflammatory and pro-weight-gain for me. I strongly prefer being slender and having pain-free hands.

But I think they will be okay on occasion.

I'll see if this works for me. If not, I'll adjust.

I'm very comfortable with having just tea in the morning and afternoon, then eating a meal or two late in the day. That makes DDs fairly easy for me.

You may recall that I am something of a connoisseur of tea. I drink green and black teas of different varieties, as well as a wide range of herb teas. I enjoy the different flavors... Newest addition: Celestial Seasons Sugar Plum Spice.
I know what you are referring to in his book.. we think he sort of talks out of both sides of his writing pen. He likes to say eat whatever you want on your UDs, but then he also gives us a calorie calculator to use to figure our *Normal* calories, and then tells us to just eat our *Normal* calories on our UDs. That's why most of us stick to that for our UDs. We try not to go over much, so as not to slow our losses, but we especially try not to go under it too far or too often, as we pound the piston between the UDs and DDs to really get our metabolisms revved up, and boy! It's really helped a lot of us get a much better metabolism out of the deal.

I do remember you being another who enjoys teas. I do too, and will look up the Sugar Plum Spice next time I'm at the grocery. Thanks! I do a lot of Earl Gray right now, and also a nice green tea from my local Asian grocer as well as a lovely jasmine tea from there. Well, the black teas too, of course. I like Twinings Irish Breakfast tea quite a bit, and got some great imported PGTips from England.. I like their regular one the best as the PGTips Special was a little high in the tannins for me. LOL

I'm really looking forward to the Celestial one. Thanks, again.

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-24-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Old 11-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #464
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
He likes to say eat whatever you want on your UDs, but then he also gives us a calorie calculator to use to figure our *Normal* calories, and then tells us to just eat our *Normal* calories on our UDs. T
I agree Pat! Especially at the start where it's easy to go "hog wild" on those up days because of the lack of "you must eat this food/avoid that food" concept that is so basic to other plans.
Count your up days according to the johnson site calculator - he gave us that for a reason
Old 11-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #465
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this, Pat and Dottie.

After 8 months of following a very strict plan of eating, I am choosing to handle JUDDD differently.

According to the book, Dr. Johnson himself did not count calories on his UDs until his weight began going up after he had some months of weightloss... and many people have been successful using the original approach.

I am close to my goal weight now, I'm quite active, and I very much want to be gentle and easy on myself... I will only be counting calories on my DDs. I'll see how it goes.

On my UDs I will make healthy food choices, plus the occasional treat. I suspect the arthritis in my hands will flare up if I have too much sugar or too many grains, so I'll get feedback from my own body.

Also, I'm interested in long-term sustainability. I don't care about day-to-day weight fluctuations. From what I've read about the science of how our bodies work, those small weight fluctuations aren't tied to the food we eat on any particular day anyway... I'd like to lose my last few excess pounds, maintain my weight within a healthy range, and enjoy the things I eat, without feeling deprived.

Time will tell.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #466

Cynthia, you absolutely won't be alone in doing it this way, and I wish you nothing but the best of luck with it.

I'm in my later 60s now, well.. 68 actually, and also with arthritis and fibromyalgia, and hypothyroid, arrrggghhhh... and a couple of other assorted ills. LOL Our feelings of good health and strength, of energy and that overall sense of well being are so worth eating for, and I know you will find just what you are hoping for now.

We'll all be cheering you on as you lose these last few pounds, and I expect you will continue to feel in good health on JUDDD! Glad you're here!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #467
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Wanted to say back Cynthia and looking forward to your past knowledge and experiences on JUDDD!

AND hopetolose! I know you are doing to JUDDD. Nice to have you join the family!!

Last edited by Beeb; 11-24-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Old 11-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #468
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: caramel
Stats: 164/164/140
Start Date: 11/25/11--12/1/14 restart
i posted in the whoohoo thread so I am officially beginning tomorrow. Hello everyone, I've done Juddd before and lost a lot of weight so I'm back!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by caramel View Post
i posted in the whoohoo thread so I am officially beginning tomorrow. Hello everyone, I've done Juddd before and lost a lot of weight so I'm back!
back!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #470
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
ok. I had some time to read up on JUDDD and am getting excited thinking this is what I need to do.

I'm gearing up in my mind to get this started. I lost 65 pounds doing HCG and in the last couple of months seem to have my weight creeping up every couple of weeks. I eat pretty much low carb. No starches, grains or sugar. It takes a few days of eating very clean to get off those couple of gained pounds. I'm tired of it. While I hope to be able to add starches back in my diet I expect to be doing pretty low carb on JUDDD. I think some starchy carbs but only on my UD's.

I feel like I am getting excited about this. I don't really need to lose (not much anyway) but just maintain. I think I will start at a level and see how that goes. I just don't want to gain.

Is it best to start with an UD or a DD?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
sherrymyra!!!

Most find it easier to start with an UD, so you're "fueled up" for the DD--
unless you haven't been restricting calories lately, and your normal days are already like Up Days, then you could start with a DD any time.
If you ate a lot for Thanksgiving, you'd probably be okay having a DD on Friday!

This is a very exciting WOE!
DDs can be a challenge, but they're worth it because you have so much freedom on UDs,
AND most people get a lot of health benefits that they didn't on any other weight loss plan. The health benefits are what help me stick with it, even when my weight loss slows or I have a few days where I'm hungry all the time--I wasn't really feeling that great emotionally or energy-wise on LC. I feel a lot better on JUDDD--and my skin feels gorgeous!
I'm still relatively LC because of diabetes, but having an occasional cookie or piece of bread doesn't make me sleepy or make my heart race the way it did on just LC.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 11-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #472
Senior LCF Member

Honestly I didn't eat that much today. I did have a couple of drinks but otherwise I'm not sure I even ate as many calories as I usually do every day. I try to keep my calories the same every day. Basically eating almost the same thing every day. I think this is going to work because it gets the body thinking.

Maybe I will count today as a sort of DD then. And make Friday (tomorrow) an UD. I'm anxious to see the scale in the morning to see if my weight crept up any more since yesterday which I feel it will be. I wouldn't mind losing about 3-5 pounds but otherwise I just need to maintain. I was thinking of starting with 40% weight loss/maintenance calories for my DD's. I got that from the JUDDD site.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #473

Welcome, Sherry! You have definitely picked an eating plan that can give you the best of almost everything, and it's so simple in concept and easy to follow that anyone can do it.
I think you're going to love it as much as we do!

Jump right in!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #474
Senior LCF Member

Did pretty well yesterday with just eating mostly turkey and very few extras, but gained 2# going to 140. Glad today is a DD so will get rid of this water weight gain, I am sure.
I am so excited about doing this plan.
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I also has a gain after yesterday's feast but am not too worried about it. My body loves to balloon when I eat carbs, which I did.

I know it will come off! I am truly loving this way of eating after just one week!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #476

Quote:
Did pretty well yesterday with just eating mostly turkey and very few extras, but gained 2# going to 140. Glad today is a DD so will get rid of this water weight gain, I am sure.
I am so excited about doing this plan.
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving
Glad you enjoyed your turkey! And only gained 2 pounds. That's only a *baby* water weight gain on JUDDD... we can get wa-a-a-a-y-y-y bigger ones than that!
Old 11-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #477
Senior LCF Member

I'm worried about those gains if I get them. Being off from hcg you are constantly looking for that 2 pounds over your Last Drop Day. If you are over by those 2 pounds you do lean eating days or correction days. If following JUDDD and I go more than 2 pounds over that amount I will panic. I don't intend to go all out with alot of carbs right away though so maybe that won't happen.

If I want to start eating more carbs though would it be better to just jump right in or can I start out slow?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
I'm worried about those gains if I get them. Being off from hcg you are constantly looking for that 2 pounds over your Last Drop Day. If you are over by those 2 pounds you do lean eating days or correction days. If following JUDDD and I go more than 2 pounds over that amount I will panic. I don't intend to go all out with alot of carbs right away though so maybe that won't happen.

If I want to start eating more carbs though would it be better to just jump right in or can I start out slow?
Well, first of all... I have a few questions. I haven't done HCG, but it was my understanding that when you end your round of hcg and start Phase 3, you have to be eating low carb. Am I wrong about this? So that if you have a weight fluctuation of more than 2 pounds, it will probably be from more than simple water weight gain from increasing carbs in your diet. It would be more likely to be from a large amount of food still in your gut, some fluid retention from salty food choices, perhaps some fluid retention from the approach of TOM for a woman, and possibly, but unlikely.. some true regain of FAT.

So my response is all predicated on the *remaining on a low carb diet* answer, but there just isn't any reason that you would gain any more weight from any cause on JUDDD than you would on any other plan if your food choices were the same straight across the board.

Now, if you are planning to eat more carbs on JUDDD than you have been on your HCG plan, then I would fully expect you to experience a larger water weight gain than a mere two pounds. I would expect it. I'm not talking about even an ounce of FAT though... only retained water weight from adding more carbs into your food plan.

If you remain very low carb on JUDDD, there is no reason to think you will gain any water weight, any more than you would on Atkins or any other plan.

If water weight gain will upset you, it is easy to combat simply by continuing to stay very low carb and not eating anymore carbs than your previous low carb level has been held to.

So this is yet another decision you get to decide for yourself. That's actually another one of the nice things about this eating plan. We're 100% in charge of that aspect of our diet. Very low carb will keep the water weight gain at bay. Increasing the carbs in our menus will increase the water weight gain too. Our choice.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #479
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Pat. With the hcg it is pretty low carb for some people. Going into P3 you can start adding different foods in your diet slowly and some people can eventually eat anything they want. I "feel" like I will gain looking at a piece of bread or a potato. Honestly I haven't tried adding anything back in because of that. I guess part of the reason for wanting to do JUDDD is to be able to add some carbs back into my diet. I'm not talking cake and bread types. But probably more starchy vegtables and maybe once in a while a potato or something like that. Or heaven forbid eat something totally bad for me once in a while. I probably will not eat sugar at all or very rarely. And not big on grains. I know I said I would panic if I gained more than 2 pounds but if I was confident it would come back down it would not be as bad. Of course there is no guarantee of how I will do but part of me thinks it might be worth the gamble.

I just don't want to not be able to eat corn, peas, carrots, potatos, etc. for the rest of my life. Especially having to watch the scale like a hawk because of my weight creeping up even though I don't eat any of those things.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #480

OK.. let's think. First of all, are you totally at goal weight at this point?

Whatever weight you are at right now, sounds like it is *dry* weight.. that is, no carbs in your diet.. no water in your tissues from carbs.

So. If you are going to allow yourself the occasional spoonful of corn or peas, the carrot stick or bit of cooked potato - ever again in your life - there is going to be some response to it. Maybe.

So, first of all, are you at goal right now?
Closed Thread