Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   just got The Alternate Day Diet from the library... have you read it? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/740469-just-got-alternate-day-diet-library-have-you-read.html)

sophiethecat 10-13-2011 05:18 PM

just got The Alternate Day Diet from the library... have you read it?
 
I thought I might actually read the book and get all the detailed info and maybe I won't have to bug all of you so much with questions! (I'm sure I'll still have some though, lol) :laugh:

This will be interesting because while I've heard of calorie restriction, I hadn't heard of it done this way or of the "skinny gene". I think it will be a fun read. :)

Have you read the book?

Beeb 10-13-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15086149)
I thought I might actually read the book and get all the detailed info and maybe I won't have to bug all of you so much with questions! (I'm sure I'll still have some though, lol) :laugh:

This will be interesting because while I've heard of calorie restriction, I hadn't heard of it done this way or of the "skinny gene". I think it will be a fun read. :)

Have you read the book?

I got mine last week. I'm reading it in the bathroom :o a little at a time. Very interesting and informative! Let's compare notes when you are done! :high5:

SoHappy 10-13-2011 06:03 PM

It's interesting. A very simple plan. And leaves percentages that you might want to do it at up to you. And then most of us adapt it from there. :hyst:

Low Carb Librarian 10-13-2011 06:57 PM

I read it just recently. I just bought a magazine today ( Oct issue of First for women ) that has a cover story about an alternate day diet. I haven't read the whole article yet, but the calorie restriction was only to 1200 a day on your DD. It looked REALY co
complicated. I guess it is based on the 17 day diet.
I like JUDDD better... I can't follow a do this this week... do this on another kind of plan. JUDDD is nice and simple.

SoHappy 10-13-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian (Post 15086393)
I read it just recently. I just bought a magazine today ( Oct issue of First for women ) that has a cover story about an alternate day diet. I haven't read the whole article yet, but the calorie restriction was only to 1200 a day on your DD. It looked REALY co
complicated. I guess it is based on the 17 day diet.
I like JUDDD better... I can't follow a do this this week... do this on another kind of plan. JUDDD is nice and simple.

Yeah, I thought the 17-Day-Diet plan was kind of *gimmick-y* when I read it.

And in a way, we sort of do a lot of that anyway. I mean, I'm fairly close to my calorie number on most DDs, but my UDs really do vary somewhat more.

Once some way of dieting starts getting some press, suddenly there are several plans that spring up based on the same principle and ideas. Isn't that funny.

darlingnikki 10-13-2011 07:24 PM

I read it didn't glean very much new but DH laughed when I quoted the part that said people who drin 6-8 cups of coffee a day are 70% less likely to attempt suicide!!!
Some interesting recipes for when I'm higher on the carb ladder though.
Nikki.

SoHappy 10-13-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlingnikki (Post 15086455)
I read it didn't glean very much new but DH laughed when I quoted the part that said people who drin 6-8 cups of coffee a day are 70% less likely to attempt suicide!!!
Some interesting recipes for when I'm higher on the carb ladder though.
Nikki.

I think it's because their hands are shaking so badly they can't hold the knife to their own throat. :hyst:

Seriously, I can and do go up to about 4 or 5 mugs a day sometimes, but after that I'm thirsty for 0 calorie beverages or some water or soda or iced tea. I'm coffee-d out.

Beeb 10-13-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15086528)
I think it's because their hands are shaking so badly they can't hold the knife to their own throat. :hyst:

:stars::hyst::lol::rofl::goodpost:

darlingnikki 10-13-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15086528)
I think it's because their hands are shaking so badly they can't hold the knife to their own throat. :hyst:

hehehe...:lol:

Low Carb Librarian 10-13-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlingnikki (Post 15086455)
I read it didn't glean very much new but DH laughed when I quoted the part that said people who drin 6-8 cups of coffee a day are 70% less likely to attempt suicide!!!
Some interesting recipes for when I'm higher on the carb ladder though.
Nikki.

Wow, I missed that tidbit.
Guess I have to up the amount of coffee I drink!

sophiethecat 10-13-2011 09:02 PM

:laugh: You guys are cracking me up!

I finished the book (Beebs, some of it was read in the bathroom) :rofl: Let's just say if I have too much dairy there are some problems, and I had more hwc today than I'm used to since I was trying to boost my calories. *ahem* well, that was tmi.... back to the book now.... :o

The info about the studies was interesting, and all the benefits of calorie restriction. I will try to keep those things in mind if I get real hungry tomorrow on my first real DD. I think it would be amazing if I had a reduction in allergies, just for one thing. And if it's going to happen, I might see results in 2 weeks or less.

I know I have a LC bias, but I do not agree with the things he said against the Atkins diet or LC, and I have read plenty more such as Taubes' books that helped to convince me once and for all that saturated fat is not a demon. So I took Johnson's rec against saturated fat with the tasty ol' grain of salt. ;) It's not that I think a LC diet is the one and only true weight loss plan, because I know different bodies may not work right with LC. And I personally did not lose weight that fast or smoothly on it anymore than I did on just cutting back on sweets and refined carbs. But, for someone like me that needs to be careful because of insulin resistance, it really helped. Since LC'g I have had appetite suppression, no afternoon or evening sleepy or hunger spells, things just stay on an even keel. So for me, I plan to keep the carbs more regulated and see how I do.

Please note, it's nothing against the JUDDD way or Dr. Johnson, just me doing a modification based on what I have found works for me.

It's likely to be more Moderate carb than low carb (I was doing under 30 net carbs on LC, will take that up on JUDDD, probably double the carb allowance, and make allowances further still for special occasion like my upcoming bday cake) But it will still be considered LC to many nondieters. But really, who knows what will happen as I go along and see how I do.... :dunno:

I'm glad you're all here, and thanks for all the encouragement and help :love:

Beeb 10-13-2011 09:28 PM

I agree with the "good fats" thing and I still use them on UDs. LC is a good plan, and I like staying LC. It's the one plan that helped me to realize I had a problem with sugar and my Fibromyalgia! :clap:

My cholesterol numbers have been wonderful since LCing so I will stick it in my beloved JUDDD and have a good time! ;)

sophiethecat 10-14-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 15086646)
My cholesterol numbers have been wonderful since LCing so I will stick it in my beloved JUDDD and have a good time! ;)

:clap:

SoHappy 10-14-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15086616)
..........The info about the studies was interesting, and all the benefits of calorie restriction. I will try to keep those things in mind if I get real hungry tomorrow on my first real DD. I think it would be amazing if I had a reduction in allergies, just for one thing. And if it's going to happen, I might see results in 2 weeks or less.

I know I have a LC bias, but I do not agree with the things he said against the Atkins diet or LC, and I have read plenty more such as Taubes' books that helped to convince me once and for all that saturated fat is not a demon. So I took Johnson's rec against saturated fat with the tasty ol' grain of salt. ;) It's not that I think a LC diet is the one and only true weight loss plan, because I know different bodies may not work right with LC. And I personally did not lose weight that fast or smoothly on it anymore than I did on just cutting back on sweets and refined carbs. But, for someone like me that needs to be careful because of insulin resistance, it really helped. Since LC'g I have had appetite suppression, no afternoon or evening sleepy or hunger spells, things just stay on an even keel. So for me, I plan to keep the carbs more regulated and see how I do.

Please note, it's nothing against the JUDDD way or Dr. Johnson,just me doing a modification based on what I have found works for me.

It's likely to be more Moderate carb than low carb (I was doing under 30 net carbs on LC, will take that up on JUDDD, probably double the carb allowance, and make allowances further still for special occasion like my upcoming bday cake) But it will still be considered LC to many nondieters. But really, who knows what will happen as I go along and see how I do....

I will be looking forward with anticipation to see if you notice any reduction in allergy symptoms.. but have to ask.. what are you allergic to? Pollens or certains foods. Is it hay fever? Wouldn't it be wonderful if JUDDD could easy your allergic responses to whatever it is. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Don't apologize for coming to JUDDD having a low carb bias. I can't think that many who are on this particular JUDDD Forum here at LCF would think in any other way. There are other JUDDD Forums on other sites where they come at it from other angles, and even do it a speck differently than how we enjoy it, but we all get to view it and use it from our own perspective. And we have quite a few here who do JUDDD from a pretty tight low carb menu plan, so you won't be alone.

Interesting about your statement of the belief that saturated fat is not a demon. I too enjoy the foods high in saturated fat, and eat them freely, at least on my UDs. But I just recently read something about them finally finding out what the damage is that it actually does, that they didn't exactly know about before. Or maybe the actual how it does the damage.. or something. I'll try to find where I read that and put it here. Hmmm....

And don't worry about doing your own modification of JUDDD, as you stated above. Most of us do give it our own little tweaks, just to make it suit us and delight us. JUDDD doesn't care in the least what foods you choose to eat or to exclude. The plan only cares about the calorie numbers. :laugh:

sophiethecat 10-14-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15088916)
I will be looking forward with anticipation to see if you notice any reduction in allergy symptoms.. but have to ask.. what are you allergic to? Pollens or certains foods. Is it hay fever? Wouldn't it be wonderful if JUDDD could easy your allergic responses to whatever it is. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Don't apologize for coming to JUDDD having a low carb bias. I can't think that many who are on this particular JUDDD Forum here at LCF would think in any other way. There are other JUDDD Forums on other sites where they come at it from other angles, and even do it a speck differently than how we enjoy it, but we all get to view it and use it from our own perspective. And we have quite a few here who do JUDDD from a pretty tight low carb menu plan, so you won't be alone.

Interesting about your statement of the belief that saturated fat is not a demon. I too enjoy the foods high in saturated fat, and eat them freely, at least on my UDs. But I just recently read something about them finally finding out what the damage is that it actually does, that they didn't exactly know about before. Or maybe the actual how it does the damage.. or something. I'll try to find where I read that and put it here. Hmmm....

And don't worry about doing your own modification of JUDDD, as you stated above. Most of us do give it our own little tweaks, just to make it suit us and delight us. JUDDD doesn't care in the least what foods you choose to eat or to exclude. The plan only cares about the calorie numbers. :laugh:

My allergies are to things like dust, mold, tree pollen, some weeds, cat. I take otc allergy pills which usually do a decent job of keeping the worst of it under control, but not always. I hope all inflammation is lowered and allergies improve or go away. :)

Thanks for your posts, always so encouraging and helpful :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 AM.