Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
It will be quite a while before I need to realy think about maintiance but a ran some
numbers through the calculator and the results were not what I expected.

I weighed between ~300 lbs when I started this, hardly exercise at all and am almost
62 years old. Using the 25% figure in the calculator my UD comes out to 3310 calories
and 828 for a down day. I doubt I want to get quite this low but supose I got down
to 150lbs. Plugging those figures back in the calculator using a 50% maintaince setting
my UD is 1722 calories ( hay I thought I would get more food when on maintience not less) and my DD comes out to 861 calories. This does bring up the fact that perhaps
if we do lose 20lbs or more we need to recalculate our UD and DD calorie targets.
This is a perfect example of how the fatter we are when we run those calorie calculators, the more skewed and *off* and overboard the numbers we are given can become. I just realized that I was only 5'-3" of little old lady, whether I was surrounded by 100 pounds of FAT or not. It occurred to me that it might not be worthwhile to eat all those extra calories my fat brought the number up to. No need to feed all that fat.

That's why we warn folks that the *larger* they are, the more *off* those numbers can be, and to take those high numbers with a huge grain of salt.

It's the same thing with exercise. Most of us think of our exercise level as more intense than it is, if we exercise 7 days a week and get sweaty, we want to choose that highest exercise level on the calculator, but very often, that gives is a calorie number far higher than where we have to eat at to lose weight.

Whether you can eat *more* in maintenance is dependent upon what calorie level you ate at in weight loss, and if you have elevated your weight loss calorie level quite a bit above what your maintenance level can ever be, then that *eating more* thing is not going to work for you.

While we're still quite overweight, we can eat at a pretty high number of calories and lose weight in spite of how high we're currently eating, but as we slim down, something has to come into balance, calorie-wise. When you stop to think about it, slim people are usually not seen among the really big eaters. But JUDDD can get you about as close to both worlds as possible.. slim and eating well.
__________________
Best wishes, Pat
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #62
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
This is a perfect example of how the fatter we are when we run those calorie calculators, the more skewed and *off* and overboard the numbers we are given can become. I just realized that I was only 5'-3" of little old lady, whether I was surrounded by 100 pounds of FAT or not. It occurred to me that it might not be worthwhile to eat all those extra calories my fat brought the number up to. No need to feed all that fat.

That's why we warn folks that the *larger* they are, the more *off* those numbers can be, and to take those high numbers with a huge grain of salt.

It's the same thing with exercise. Most of us think of our exercise level as more intense than it is, if we exercise 7 days a week and get sweaty, we want to choose that highest exercise level on the calculator, but very often, that gives is a calorie number far higher than where we have to eat at to lose weight.

Whether you can eat *more* in maintenance is dependent upon what calorie level you ate at in weight loss, and if you have elevated your weight loss calorie level quite a bit above what your maintenance level can ever be, then that *eating more* thing is not going to work for you.

While we're still quite overweight, we can eat at a pretty high number of calories and lose weight in spite of how high we're currently eating, but as we slim down, something has to come into balance, calorie-wise. When you stop to think about it, slim people are usually not seen among the really big eaters. But JUDDD can get you about as close to both worlds as possible.. slim and eating well.
And very true. But will add that I do eat more than I did during weight loss calories to maintain. It's a 50/50 spread now instead of much less calories on my DDs than my UDs. I never get to the ceiling of my calories for either day, but I do have more calories to play with. Weight loss was 700 DDs and 1654 UDs. Now it's 900 DDs and 1,800 UDs. Why? I have now idea but it keeps me right on target with my weight when I get close to these numbers and I continue to lose when I don't.

Maybe I'm just plain weird!
__________________

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 10-20-2011 at 05:34 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,707
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
maintaining takes more food than reducing but only at the same weight.

maintaining at a higher weight takes more food than maintaining at a lower weight. So the amount you use to lose at a higher weight may ultimately become the maintenace number of your lower weight, forcing you to eat less to reduce than you did before.

That's why your lower weight maintenance calories maybe so much less than your higher weight reducing calories
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
maintaining takes more food than reducing but only at the same weight.

maintaining at a higher weight takes more food than maintaining at a lower weight. So the amount you use to lose at a higher weight may ultimately become the maintenace number of your lower weight, forcing you to eat less to reduce than you did before.

That's why your lower weight maintenance calories maybe so much less than your higher weight reducing calories
Yeah. That. ^ ^ ^
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #65
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,707
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Another thing to consider is discovering your lean body mass. Even if it's not completely accurate you would at least get a figure closer to what you should be feeding since fat cells don't need any more feeding.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #66
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
maintaining takes more food than reducing but only at the same weight.

maintaining at a higher weight takes more food than maintaining at a lower weight. So the amount you use to lose at a higher weight may ultimately become the maintenace number of your lower weight, forcing you to eat less to reduce than you did before.

That's why your lower weight maintenance calories maybe so much less than your higher weight reducing calories
Metqa, I you but I have NO idea what you are saying here! Even reading it 4 times, I'm still ! But, then again, I'm not a very science minded person and tend to get lost in lots of things anymore that involved the "science" of things!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!
 
synger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,409
Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I think she's saying that the number of calories you need to lose when you're 270 pounds may be what you need to maintain at 150. Maintaining a higher weight takes more calories than maintaining a lower weight.

Maybe that's why heavier folks like me just can't get down to day-to-day low even calories to lose weight. I was ALWAYS hungry, even at 1600 calories a day. On JUDDD I'm somewhat hungry one day, but not at all hungry the next. It's amazing.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I think she's saying that the number of calories you need to lose when you're 270 pounds may be what you need to maintain at 150. Maintaining a higher weight takes more calories than maintaining a lower weight.

Maybe that's why heavier folks like me just can't get down to day-to-day low even calories to lose weight. I was ALWAYS hungry, even at 1600 calories a day. On JUDDD I'm somewhat hungry one day, but not at all hungry the next. It's amazing.
And I think this ^ ^ ^ is going to help you lose weight wonderfully well! Keeping to the higher UD calories is going to help rev your metabolism UP, and keeping to the lower DD calories is going to have you melting away.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.