Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rainypep
Stats: 228(242-highest)/154/Prego #3/125
WOE: my plan
Start Date: 3/9/06
Anyone know about JUDDD and breastfeeding

I am intrigued by all the success here with a varied diet, and am embarking on losing the baby weight. I can't find any info about using this plan while breastfeeding. I was curious if anyone knew of any resources on the subject?
Rainypep is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I will see if I can find anything on this subject. In any reading I've done, I don't recall anything addressing this subject.

I breastfed my babies too, as did my daughter for her child. My experience was that it helped me to lose some of my pregnancy weight. My daughter didn't experience this benefit.

I do think that while we are making milk for our most precious babes, we need to focus on good healthful eating, but that doesn't mean you cannot attain some weight loss at the same time.

I do believe you could do JUDDD but with less spread between your Up Days and your Down Days. So you wouldn't be holding your DDs nearly as low as the rest of us do initially.

The first thing you will need to know is the calories you need to maintain yourself at a stable unchanging weight at the breastfeeding level. Then from there you can figure the calories you will want to cycle in order to guarantee you get the calories and nutrients you need to be successful for your baby, and also hopefully lose a bit during this time too. Many women successfully diet while breast feeding, but I think it's something to approach slowly and with good sense.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-10-2011 at 11:05 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lbibclc
Stats: 231.8/132 54/5-6
WOE: Primal/HHCG
Start Date: August 2009
Hi, I haven't been on these threads for a while but I saw your breastfeeding questions and had to post.

I agree with SoHappy that you need to know your maintenance level of calories. Go to Freedieting.com. They have a Daily Calorie Needs Calculator. After you get your calories for maintaining, fat loss and extreme fat loss you will see an option for calorie cycling. The ranges between the days are more narrow than in JUDDD but it will be a good place to start.

Women can provide enough milk even when in starvation situations. Some physicians I work with encourage moms to not add additional calories for breastmilk production unless they lose weight easily, are underweight or a teenager. Since we tend to eat more calories than we think I can understand this.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

thank you for the input and references everyone. Off to do my homework!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #5

Thanks, Liz. Good info from you.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

My biggest issues coming into this, are many. I am miles away from the very structured way that I ate in order to lose about 88 pounds prior to my first pregnancy and the reasons are primarily that I was massively sick during both pregnancies and found that carbs (unfortunately) were the easiest to cope with, and I couldn't go many hours between meals the way I did while losing weight. Toward then end of each pregnancy I had so much heartburn and so little room left, I found I could barely eat at all, and that food tasted awful. I had very little appetite in each pregnancy and no cravings. its amazing that i managed to gain weight...what can I say I am a survivor I guess!

Now both times during breastfeeding I have found that I feel hungry most of the day and crave sweets massively (which in my whole life prior is very unusual) I gained 36 in my first pregnancy and lost 25 in the first 12 weeks postpartum and never really got that last 11 off no matter what, I gained 26-28 in my second pregnancy and now 6 weeks post I am down 20-22 and am stuck.

I don't feel like I can ever go back to that rigid plan I was doing prior to my kids, at least not right now. But I need to find something to help me out. The one constant is that I have been exercising right along so that part is taken care of. I just need to get my eating under control. I don't want to hold on to pounds each kid until I am right way back up there.

I am trying to figure out what the best rotation and calorie numbers should be, and then how to find the route to making myself do it.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

the freediet site that liz b recommeded estimated 2162 cals per day. So I am wondering what a down day # would look like, knowing that slow weight loss is fine/ideal for baby and milk supply
Old 10-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #8

I can understand having the comforting desire for carbs during the upset-stomach times of pregnancy. Carbs are very easy on the tummy, and very easing on the soul. I guess that's why most of our classic and traditional *Comfort Foods* are given to us, courtesy of the carbohydrate group.

Since you are breastfeeding right now but still wanting to get started with some weight loss, why don't you enter JUDDD from the top and work backwards. You can pick your calorie numbers, certainly, but maybe start with cutting the Up Day calories to 2000. That is a goodly number of calories that will enable you to eat plenty of nourishing foods to help you provide for your baby and your own body's needs.

Then, why don't you do one week at 1000 Down Day calories. Weigh yourself at the start and the morning after the first week is over, and see if that has provided any weight loss. With you breastfeeding, it may.

Also see if you think your milk supply is holding up strongly.

If you are losing weight at that level, you may feel comfortable sitting at that level for a bit.

If you didn't lose anything the first week, you at least got somewhat used to doing a calorie rotation, got used to measuring out your food portions, got used to tracking your daily calories and logging them in somewhere. All important *to-do's* to be really successful on JUDDD.

The second week, you may decide you can lower your DD calories to 900 for the week. Then reassess. Weight loss? Good milk supply?

And then down to 800 calories. Etc.

I hesitate to advise you to start in at the 500 DD calorie level that so many start in on (or attempt to) for fear of slowing your milk, but by working backwards in some fashion, you should find the happy meeting place where you can lose weight and feed baby well. Especially as baby gets bigger and more demanding of more milk!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hmm the working backward approach seems kinda like what I was thinking about trying too. I really appreciate the input as well. I definitely wasn't thinking that 500 caps sounded like a good or even manageable idea at all. This is a really supportive group and I'm glad I found you all eve if this isn't what I ultimately end up doing
Old 10-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #10

I know you will find your way as far as what plan you end up enjoying and succeeding on for the rest of your life.

And if you want to try some cycling of high and low-er days with us here, you know you will be welcomed and encouraged, and each pound lost will be cheered by your fellow JUDDD devotees.

Have a great day, and hope you and your baby are thriving.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alibaba
Stats: 240(pregnant)/176/165
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 5/12/14
Hi! i'm new to JUDDD, but not to breastfeeding, so I thought I might offer some advice. For me, I never lost weight well while bfing, and was starving all the time too. I know lots of women really struggle with supply when their calories get too low, so you're going to have to watch that. But I think if you eat really well and be sure to get in all your calories on your UDs, that you'll be OK. For DDs, eat oatmeal! Oats are awesome for milk production, and low calorie as well. That and tons of water or SF gatorade.
alibaba is offline   Reply With Quote