Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDD QUESTION...any people VLC and JUDD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/739509-judd-question-any-people-vlc-judd.html)

aim in Fla*working 10-09-2011 06:56 AM

JUDD QUESTION...any people VLC and JUDD?

Seems like it would be difficult. What would a week for you look like as far as what you eat? Please share:)

SoHappy 10-09-2011 07:16 AM

We have people on JUDDD eating at whatever levels of carbohydrate they feel best on, including those who stay quite low carb.

Others are actually lower carb on their Up Days, when they take a higher number of calories in protein and fat and less of their calorie number in carbs. Then their Down Days menus contain a whole lot less protein and fat, because of the calories in these foods, and instead they concentrate on low carb veggies to fill them up on DDs.. but while that controls their calories better, it does elevate their carb numbers a bit.

JUDDD doesn't advocate for any particular program for eating though. Whether you follow low carb or not, you can still do JUDDD, as this plan is just a way to manage your calorie consumption and cycle that consumption in a way that promotes weight loss and increased metabolic function.

aim in Fla*working 10-09-2011 07:47 AM

thank you Pat. Do you take resveratol as well? How are your successes with JUDD? Do you low carb?

darlingnikki 10-09-2011 08:10 AM

I have done two weeks JUDDD here are my cals/net carbs note induction level every day
360/4
1524/10.8
347/6.8
1507/11
327/6
1145/11.2
355/9
1800/11
360/6
1800/15
330/7
1473/17
321/11
1246/17
310/14

To see detailed menus just look under my profile at past posts under it's (insert day of week) ________, what are you eating today?
cheers
Nikki

aim in Fla*working 10-09-2011 08:12 AM

thank you!!
will do!

aim in Fla*working 10-09-2011 08:13 AM

Nikki...what have you noticed from LC and JUdding? Please share.

SoHappy 10-09-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working (Post 15071859)
thank you Pat. Do you take resveratol as well? How are your successes with JUDD? Do you low carb?

I don't take resveratol, and I don't know of anybody who does. And, apparently it has been shown to not be all that effective after all. So..... :dunno:

I was one who low carb didn't *work* for. As far as I ever knew, I did it correctly, followed the book, followed the diet exactly, obeyed the guidelines, and after I lost the initial water weight and a very few pounds of my obesity, leaving me still quite obese, it ended. I didn't get the appetite supression low carb was said to give, and I certainly didn't get the weight loss. All of my life I've loved the foods allowed, so the food choices weren't a problem, although I did miss the forbidden foods.

But I stayed on low carb, mostly very well, for a long, long time. I pretty much low carbed myself into carb sensitivity. And yet, I didn't lose weight. If I wasn't careful, I could gain weight.

I finally just resorted to old fashioned calorie counting and lost a lot. Then found JUDDD, and had read so much of the calorie restriction studies and the genome studies recognizing the genes which calorie restriction in a strong cycling plan can activate, that I started this plan. By then I didn't have a lot more that I was thinking of losing, but did lose some more. I could lose more, but at my old age, I play the game of balancing how slim to get in relation to how wrinkled can I stand to be. LOL

I woke up one day and realized that I didn't want to restrict carbs as extremely as I had been, that there was a whole world of food out there that I wasn't done tasting, and that there were years of celebrations and holidays and feasts that I wanted to participate in, as in.. I wanted to enjoy some of those delightful dishes that included my mother's recipes I grew up on, grandmother's and aunt's and old neighbor lady's and the women at my old home church who brought foods when we had a church supper in the church basement. LOL Gee, there were some wonderful recipes we had back then, and I wanted it back. So, JUDDD has given it to me.

I feel great again. I mentioned it before, but I realized that it would be lunacy if I decided to cut out protein from my diet. What idiot would do that? And we have come to realize how crazy it was to try to cut out the fat and avoid it as extremely as we could. We turned a little crazy there for awhile with that low fat thinking. How did we buy into that? And I've decided that I'm not willing to buy into cutting the third leg of the nutrition triad from my diet either. We all get to make our own dietary decisions, but frankly.. I think that one is lunacy too. Despite what all the current popular 'mouthpieces' blog.

So, I'm back to eating from it all, balancing my diet in a way that makes me feel better than I have in years with pep and energy and strength and great health checks and lab reports. I maintain my weight while I enjoy eating anything in the world I wish to take a taste of. JUDDD has normalized my hunger and appetite, normalized my response to food and food choices, stabilized my compulsions and desires, and increased my metabolism. All while allowing me to spend half of the days of every month eating at full non-dieting calorie levels of all foods! All it requires me to do is eat the other half of the month at lower calorie levels. Which for me these days, doesn't have to be all that low either.

I no longer am a low carber. I am, overall, a mid-range carber. LOL And that means I sometimes enjoy some high carb foods. I love JUDDD and what's it's given me and what it's done for me so much, I can't even begin to explain it to you.

If you are interested in adding the JUDDD way of cycling your calories and your carb intake, I'm pretty positive that JUDDD can do the same for you. And if you want, you can still eat as low carb as you wish.

darlingnikki 10-09-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working (Post 15071918)
Nikki...what have you noticed from LC and JUdding? Please share.

I feel great, but I am slowly bring down fat levels and raising carbs from fruit and veggies. It is my goal to use JUDDD to slowly introduce more variety without gaining any weight back, so far so good! I am down over three pounds and have gone from zero carb one meal a day to some days 1800 cals and 20 carbs in fruit dairy and veggies and am much more satisfied with my plan, additionally I am not hungry doing this at all. The key is to go slowly. If may be December before I add any grains for example, I am moving up the carb ladder slowly but still cycling my calories and so far so good!
cheers
Nikki

aim in Fla*working 10-09-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15071962)
I don't take resveratol, and I don't know of anybody who does. And, apparently it has been shown to not be all that effective after all. So..... :dunno:

I was one who low carb didn't *work* for. As far as I ever knew, I did it correctly, followed the book, followed the diet exactly, obeyed the guidelines, and after I lost the initial water weight and a very few pounds of my obesity, leaving me still quite obese, it ended. I didn't get the appetite supression low carb was said to give, and I certainly didn't get the weight loss. All of my life I've loved the foods allowed, so the food choices weren't a problem, although I did miss the forbidden foods.

But I stayed on low carb, mostly very well, for a long, long time. I pretty much low carbed myself into carb sensitivity. And yet, I didn't lose weight. If I wasn't careful, I could gain weight.

I finally just resorted to old fashioned calorie counting and lost a lot. Then found JUDDD, and had read so much of the calorie restriction studies and the genome studies recognizing the genes which calorie restriction in a strong cycling plan can activate, that I started this plan. By then I didn't have a lot more that I was thinking of losing, but did lose some more. I could lose more, but at my old age, I play the game of balancing how slim to get in relation to how wrinkled can I stand to be. LOL

I woke up one day and realized that I didn't want to restrict carbs as extremely as I had been, that there was a whole world of food out there that I wasn't done tasting, and that there were years of celebrations and holidays and feasts that I wanted to participate in, as in.. I wanted to enjoy some of those delightful dishes that included my mother's recipes I grew up on, grandmother's and aunt's and old neighbor lady's and the women at my old home church who brought foods when we had a church supper in the church basement. LOL Gee, there were some wonderful recipes we had back then, and I wanted it back. So, JUDDD has given it to me.

I feel great again. I mentioned it before, but I realized that it would be lunacy if I decided to cut out protein from my diet. What idiot would do that? And we have come to realize how crazy it was to try to cut out the fat and avoid it as extremely as we could. We turned a little crazy there for awhile with that low fat thinking. How did we buy into that? And I've decided that I'm not willing to buy into cutting the third leg of the nutrition triad from my diet either. We all get to make our own dietary decisions, but frankly.. I think that one is lunacy too. Despite what all the current popular 'mouthpieces' blog.

So, I'm back to eating from it all, balancing my diet in a way that makes me feel better than I have in years with pep and energy and strength and great health checks and lab reports. I maintain my weight while I enjoy eating anything in the world I wish to take a taste of. JUDDD has normalized my hunger and appetite, normalized my response to food and food choices, stabilized my compulsions and desires, and increased my metabolism. All while allowing me to spend half of the days of every month eating at full non-dieting calorie levels of all foods! All it requires me to do is eat the other half of the month at lower calorie levels. Which for me these days, doesn't have to be all that low either.

I no longer am a low carber. I am, overall, a mid-range carber. LOL And that means I sometimes enjoy some high carb foods. I love JUDDD and what's it's given me and what it's done for me so much, I can't even begin to explain it to you.

If you are interested in adding the JUDDD way of cycling your calories and your carb intake, I'm pretty positive that JUDDD can do the same for you. And if you want, you can still eat as low carb as you wish.

thank you SO much for sharing. I appreciate the insight. I am extremly carb senstivie with fibro. I took a stab at JUDD before but could not deal with the hunger. I was starving...however, I was over medicated with thyriod and I think it made me hungery. I reduced meds. feel much more relaxed. Eat far less but lose nothing. i have never been able to stick to anything. I have right now syndrome:( I think i might do a form of JUDD while low carbing as you stated earlier. UD all fat and meat and then DD low carb veggies and such. What kidn of meal replacements do you suggest for DD?

aim in Fla*working 10-09-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlingnikki (Post 15072050)
I feel great, but I am slowly bring down fat levels and raising carbs from fruit and veggies. It is my goal to use JUDDD to slowly introduce more variety without gaining any weight back, so far so good! I am down over three pounds and have gone from zero carb one meal a day to some days 1800 cals and 20 carbs in fruit dairy and veggies and am much more satisfied with my plan, additionally I am not hungry doing this at all. The key is to go slowly. If may be December before I add any grains for example, I am moving up the carb ladder slowly but still cycling my calories and so far so good!
cheers
Nikki

Nikki...did you now lose on zero carb? I will check your menus:)

darlingnikki 10-09-2011 09:38 AM

I did lose on ZC...but did it for a month at a time. Definately not sustainable for me in the long term. I do know others who do it sucessfully as a lifestyle...there is a carnivores thread. But when I say ZC I mean absolutely ZC...black coffee (no sweeteners) water and meat with mayo. No dairy, fruit or veg what so ever, one meal a day only. Great for dropping pounds, but eventually that stalled too, and there was only one way to go from there, back up the carb ladder and calorie cycling has helped me drop even more!

aim in Fla*working 10-09-2011 09:45 AM

thank you NikKi for sharing. you are very dedicated!

SoHappy 10-09-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working (Post 15072131)
thank you SO much for sharing. I appreciate the insight. I am extremly carb senstivie with fibro. I took a stab at JUDD before but could not deal with the hunger. I was starving...however, I was over medicated with thyriod and I think it made me hungery. I reduced meds. feel much more relaxed. Eat far less but lose nothing. i have never been able to stick to anything. I have right now syndrome:( I think i might do a form of JUDD while low carbing as you stated earlier. UD all fat and meat and then DD low carb veggies and such. What kidn of meal replacements do you suggest for DD?

I didn't do any meal replacements, as in bars or shakes. Only a few really do, and that choice is yours if you want to start that way. Most of us said, "Yeah... that so-o-o isn't happening" and just started off with FOOD!

I used JUDDD to teach me how to be a regular person again, able to eat real food in normal portions.

If you have difficulty with sticking to the 500 calorie Down Days when you get started, then start out doing them a bit higher and work your way down. Lots of folks here have previously done hcg, and are very acclimated to doing 500 calorie days. But I wasn't. I ate in the 700-800 calorie range for my initial DDs, and then worked my way down to lower calories as my appetite and hunger levels were repaired a bit.

Low Carb Librarian 10-09-2011 03:33 PM

I tried to drink shakes, but it didn't work for me. Then I found that I could eat a whole bag of steamed veggies for only 90 calories! That saved me (and one beano before the veggies!:hyst:)

I also tried to do the met-rx bars (roasted peanut caramel) which was LC and yummy. But it was 310 calories!!! That was pretty much all I could have.

I have only been doing JUDDD for about two weeks (with a 3 day vacation off) but I was stalled on LC. I am also slowly adding carbs back into my diet...

aim in Fla*working 10-09-2011 05:30 PM

thanks guys for all your input. I will let this resonate and see what my next move will be. Hope I can see the scale move too:)

darlingnikki 10-09-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working (Post 15072172)
thank you NikKi for sharing. you are very dedicated!

aww shux yer welcome :o

darlingnikki 10-09-2011 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=SoHappy;15072417]

I used JUDDD to teach me how to be a regular person again, able to eat real food in normal portions.

QUOTE]

:goodpost:

This:goodpost::goodpost:

I am eating a much more balanced diet right now and am very content.

faithgirl 10-09-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15071962)

Pat, you are such a great example of what I want my life to be! I remember being in my late 30's and watching a woman of 45 still falling prey to crazy weightloss schemes and I was thinking, oh please let me have this figured out by the time I hit 40! Well I didn't becuase I just turned 46 a few weeks ago and I am still carrying the weight around. But now, maybe I HAVE found a way to have peace with food. I hope so.

Sorry for the threadjack!

Queenie324 10-10-2011 12:38 PM

I am reading all of this after reading beeb's post this morning. Very interesting.

I will do a little more research before I decide anything. I am doing Atkins with 20 carbs as my max each day.

I lost 70 lbs the past year (divorce diet--not highly suggested ;)), however I have an additional 40 lbs I want to lose. While I am satisified doing Atkins, I find JUDDD very interesting.

Off to do more reading.

Beeb 10-10-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working (Post 15073439)
thanks guys for all your input. I will let this resonate and see what my next move will be. Hope I can see the scale move too:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queenie324 (Post 15075681)
I am reading all of this after reading beeb's post this morning. Very interesting.

I will do a little more research before I decide anything. I am doing Atkins with 20 carbs as my max each day.

I lost 70 lbs the past year (divorce diet--not highly suggested ;)), however I have an additional 40 lbs I want to lose. While I am satisified doing Atkins, I find JUDDD very interesting.

Off to do more reading.

Here's hoping you like what you read and will be joining us! :shake::high5:

tiva 10-10-2011 04:53 PM

Queenie, I'm doing LC mixed with JUDDD and intermittent fasting, to lose my last few menopause pounds. They don't really need to come off, which makes it harder to lose via traditional Atkins.

For several months, I did Fast-5 (eat only during a 5 hour eating window, which for me was noon to 5 pm. I mostly stuck to my traditional LC of grass-fed meat, healthy fats, cheese and butter from grass-fed cows, eggs from our free-range layers, some nuts, and lots of greens and berries and low -carb veggies from our farm). I did add in more berries and greens then I could do with straight Atkins, and it got the scale moving again after a many month stall near goal.

When I got back to university teaching at the end of the summer, Fast-5 was harder because of my teaching schedule. So now I'm doing a variant of JUDDD. I loathe counting calories and trying to do low fat to keep calories low, so instead I alternate UD and DD. Instead of calories counting during the day, my DDs (non teaching days) are one small LC meal during a 2 hour eating window, and my UDs are 3 regular meals, with regular LC, but including berries and a wide variety of non-starchy veggies. It seems to be working fine, even though I am a bit ravenous on my DDs. At the end of the day, I do record the food, and the computer has me at 600 to 700 calories on my DDs.

Hope this helps. I'm aiming for the idea of cycling food intake, but I focus on meals rather than on calories. Counting calories doesn't work for me, because it brings back too many memories of an old struggle with low-fat dieting. For 10 years, LC has worked well for me as a way of eating very healthy food choices without much obsession, and I want to keep with that, while getting some of the health benefits of intermittent fasting.

So for some menus:
DD: lunch: 4 oz grass-fed lean burger, with 2T grated local cheddar and 1 cup green beans, plus 3 T heavy cream in my 3 C of coffee

UD: Breakfast: Minute muffin made with almond flour, oat fiber, 1 whole egg, berries, butter
Lunch: chicken meatballs with tomato, green beans, cucumber, yogurt, little piece of triple cream brie
Dinner: burger w/homemade aioli, red pepper puree, caramelized onions, broccoli w/ butter, raspberries, and a bourbon

paulabob 10-11-2011 05:05 AM

I also lowcarb on JUDDD. It's what works best for me since I'm hypoglycemic, and popping out of ketosis inevitably makes me hungry (as in never ever full).

I've been lowcarbing for 5 years come December, so it seems easy to me. I normally choose lean proteins & veggies on my down days, along with one "snacky" type item. Up days are just fairly normal atkins, with cheese and nuts if I want them, unrestricted on fat.

Queenie324 10-11-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiva (Post 15076408)
Queenie, I'm doing LC mixed with JUDDD and intermittent fasting, to lose my last few menopause pounds. They don't really need to come off, which makes it harder to lose via traditional Atkins.

For several months, I did Fast-5 (eat only during a 5 hour eating window, which for me was noon to 5 pm. I mostly stuck to my traditional LC of grass-fed meat, healthy fats, cheese and butter from grass-fed cows, eggs from our free-range layers, some nuts, and lots of greens and berries and low -carb veggies from our farm). I did add in more berries and greens then I could do with straight Atkins, and it got the scale moving again after a many month stall near goal.

When I got back to university teaching at the end of the summer, Fast-5 was harder because of my teaching schedule. So now I'm doing a variant of JUDDD. I loathe counting calories and trying to do low fat to keep calories low, so instead I alternate UD and DD. Instead of calories counting during the day, my DDs (non teaching days) are one small LC meal during a 2 hour eating window, and my UDs are 3 regular meals, with regular LC, but including berries and a wide variety of non-starchy veggies. It seems to be working fine, even though I am a bit ravenous on my DDs. At the end of the day, I do record the food, and the computer has me at 600 to 700 calories on my DDs.

Hope this helps. I'm aiming for the idea of cycling food intake, but I focus on meals rather than on calories. Counting calories doesn't work for me, because it brings back too many memories of an old struggle with low-fat dieting. For 10 years, LC has worked well for me as a way of eating very healthy food choices without much obsession, and I want to keep with that, while getting some of the health benefits of intermittent fasting.

So for some menus:
DD: lunch: 4 oz grass-fed lean burger, with 2T grated local cheddar and 1 cup green beans, plus 3 T heavy cream in my 3 C of coffee

UD: Breakfast: Minute muffin made with almond flour, oat fiber, 1 whole egg, berries, butter
Lunch: chicken meatballs with tomato, green beans, cucumber, yogurt, little piece of triple cream brie
Dinner: burger w/homemade aioli, red pepper puree, caramelized onions, broccoli w/ butter, raspberries, and a bourbon

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulabob (Post 15077385)
I also lowcarb on JUDDD. It's what works best for me since I'm hypoglycemic, and popping out of ketosis inevitably makes me hungry (as in never ever full).

I've been lowcarbing for 5 years come December, so it seems easy to me. I normally choose lean proteins & veggies on my down days, along with one "snacky" type item. Up days are just fairly normal atkins, with cheese and nuts if I want them, unrestricted on fat.

Thank you both. I do want to continue LC, because it's easy for me. However, I do like the fact that every other day I can eat what I want during an UD to my calorie max.

I loathe counting calories too, which is why I hesitate to try this. I am not exercising (but I see beeb does not for the most part), so I think it said for me 500 on my DDs and 1398 for my UD's. I am thinking I'd prefer to start out at 800 on my DDs as SoHappy suggested, and 1400 on my UD's.

Still deciding. I hate counting calories.

jouette 10-11-2011 11:22 AM

appreciation to all who posted here! I am popping in to try this woe & you all seem so helpful & wonderful. thank you!!

Beeb 10-11-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queenie324 (Post 15078461)
Thank you both. I do want to continue LC, because it's easy for me. However, I do like the fact that every other day I can eat what I want during an UD to my calorie max.

I loathe counting calories too, which is why I hesitate to try this. I am not exercising (but I see beeb does not for the most part), so I think it said for me 500 on my DDs and 1398 for my UD's. I am thinking I'd prefer to start out at 800 on my DDs as SoHappy suggested, and 1400 on my UD's.

I hate counting, too but with all the great food tracking sites out here now (I use and :love: Fat Secret) it's a lot easier than back in the day! ;)
It's easier because with most of these once you put a food in there, it's there to bring up whenever you need it again, no more searching. I get to make a meal my "favorite" meal and just click a button and it's in my daily menu count!! :clap:

And yes, hardly any exercise for this "wounded winged" beeb, but JUDDD has still worked well for me! I wonder how much faster I would have lost WITH exercise?! OMG....just the thought is :stars: :laugh:!!

Hope you decide to join us!! :high5::shake:

SoHappy 10-11-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queenie324 (Post 15078461)

Hi, Barb. It isn't long before you are about as clued into the calorie counts of your usual foods as you were on the carb counts of your usual foods on your low carb plan.

The day that is the most strict is the Down Day, and since the calories are held pretty low on that day, there just isn't a huge variety of foods that you're going to be including in your meals on those days anyway. So most of us pretty much fall back on our basic choices, and we already have pretty much learned the calories of those choices, so DDs end up being pretty easy. Not as much time spent *counting* as you suspect.

And the calorie ceiling for UDs of there, but so often we end up only measuring and counting some of those UD foods, and then just estimate the rest and hope we were somewhere close. LOL I mean, if I head up to my local diner, I have no idea how much the supper really is.. I just estimate, and that seems to usually be close enough.

I think folks always hate to have to do anything to lose weight or maintain a loss, but if we have come to a time of our lives where our weight tends to pile on unless we do pay attention to something, we're doomed to running some kind of interference. The up side to doing a quite strict low carb is that, once you've learned what you can and can't eat, quite often you don't have to pay much attention to how much you eat, and that suits a lot of folks real fine. Their choice is to be able to eat a lot of the foods allowed them, without having to count any calories. Others of us wish to include a much, much greater range of foods in our menus, but that most often means we need to be more aware of the calories mounting up in our diets.

I very much appreciate being able to eat some of anything, and of everything. I really, really do love fine breads. I was so hungry for oranges, I can't even begin to tell you. And, you know.... once in a rare while, I really love going up to the Starlight with my DH, and ordering a huge incredibly juicy cheeseburger on their buns that are spread with butter and grilled toasty, their fries and onion rings are fabulous, and a chocolate malted with it all is amazing. Don't do it often, but delight in it every single time I do. But I've estimated the calories, so know about how much that cost me when I enjoy that treat.

Counting the calories is worth it. And after awhile, just not a big deal. I'll bet you get used to it all quickly.