Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   accurate calorie count anyone help lol (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/738905-accurate-calorie-count-anyone-help-lol.html)

darlingnikki 10-07-2011 05:15 PM

accurate calorie count anyone help lol

I ate 6 pork side ribs, when I look it up I see anywhere from 335 to 1050 calories!! :dunno:

Nikki

SoHappy 10-07-2011 05:42 PM

Did you weigh them?

My sister uses a WW scale to weigh her portions, even though she doesn't do WW anymore.

And don't laugh, but I have a digital postal scale that I use. It measures about 8 x 8 or so, and measures everything to the .2 of an ounce, which is close enough for me.

I measure foods if I can, like a cup of milk or a tablespoonful of packed brown sugar, but for things like chicken breast meat, or raw broccoli, or..... pork ribs, I weigh the portion.

If it were me, I'd take a calorie value right in the middle for this food item, and then not worry one whit whether I was over for the day because of it. Tomorrow is another day.

But I highly, highly highly recommend weighing foods to get accurate calorie counts. And once you get used to doing it, it's a whole lot faster for most things then measuring by volume.

darlingnikki 10-07-2011 05:49 PM

so should I cut the meat off the bone and weigh it? I can do that next time I have a scale. Even if it was 1050 I would still be under my calorie ceiling lol!

thanx
Nikki

Beeb 10-08-2011 04:58 AM

Did they have BBQ sauce on them or a rub. This makes a difference when looking them up. Most calorie sites go by the rib size and whether it is sauced or not. ALSO, were they baby back ribs, regular ribs, pork or beef?

Here is the page from Fat Secret for pork ribs: Ribs Calories and Nutritional Information

I don't think it's a high are what you are thinking. Isn't great though that you can fit them into your calorie ceiling! ;):up:

darlingnikki 10-08-2011 07:01 AM

pork side ribs, home made baked with salt and pepper.

yup, love that ceiling, haven't reached it yet though!

Nikki

Beeb 10-08-2011 09:15 AM

OK, here is what I would say, leaning on the side of caution with a bit more cals:

110 cals each since they had no sauce. So that is 660 cals, which is NOT bad for tasty ribs! :up:

(This is a average of all the sites giving rib calories WITH BBQ sauce so I just took off 20 cals per rib for the sauce)

HTH! :hugs:

darlingnikki 10-08-2011 10:52 AM

thanx!!

hugs
nikki

paulabob 10-08-2011 12:06 PM

FYI, when I eat something like drumsticks, I weigh them cooked, then weigh the bones afterwards to see how many ounces I ate. Common meats like chicken are available by calories cooked with skin or without. I find it's a lot more accurate than choosing small medium or large drumstick, which apparently I have no idea what any are. Not sure if ribs are available that way too, but it's one of those foods that can really vary on size of bone and how much meat is on it.

darlingnikki 10-08-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulabob (Post 15070228)
FYI, when I eat something like drumsticks, I weigh them cooked, then weigh the bones afterwards to see how many ounces I ate. Common meats like chicken are available by calories cooked with skin or without. I find it's a lot more accurate than choosing small medium or large drumstick, which apparently I have no idea what any are. Not sure if ribs are available that way too, but it's one of those foods that can really vary on size of bone and how much meat is on it.

Fantastic Idea thank you!!!:o

SoHappy 10-08-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlingnikki (Post 15070395)
Fantastic Idea thank you!!!:o

That is a good idea. Thanks for mentioning that, Paula.