Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Have You Accepted That You Will ALWAYS Have To Count Calories...Forever? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/738387-have-you-accepted-you-will-always-have-count-calories-forever.html)

Joedi 10-04-2011 08:11 AM

Have You Accepted That You Will ALWAYS Have To Count Calories...Forever?

I was thinking about this today.

personally,at the moment, I dont really mind counting cals...I love ************ app...and get a certainly miserly satisfaction squeezing as much food out of my DD cals as possible! :lol:

But I got to thinking...if this is gonna be my woe for life...I am ALWAYS going to be counting calories, at home, on holiday...where ever!

I know that the effort will be worth it to maintain my goal weight...its just that I hadn't actually realised this till now! :doh:

I think its because I have been down the calorie counting route before...and never managed to stick with it...though if any plan can make counting cals "fun" it would be juddd!

Just wondered how the long time judders felt about this....is it now such a habit you hardly think about it?

Hugs
Jo
x

dazygyrl 10-04-2011 08:18 AM

i only loosely count on DD's and just eat on UD's for the exact reason of NOT wanting to count the rest of my life. it's been working great so far. weight is stable. i *would* like to lose 4-6 more lbs though and will just keep on keeping on and see what happens.

Rachelocity 10-04-2011 08:20 AM

I figure that as I get older, I will be generating more documented, quantifiable evidence of my health (good blood tests, BP, etc.) If this means counting calories (or in my case, Points) for the rest of my life, it's a small price to pay.

Joedi 10-04-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazygyrl (Post 15058076)
i only loosely count on DD's and just eat on UD's for the exact reason of NOT wanting to count the rest of my life. it's been working great so far. weight is stable. i *would* like to lose 4-6 more lbs though and will just keep on keeping on and see what happens.

Oh! I never thought of doing that! :doh:
It would be AWESOME if I could maintain like that...only counting every other day!:jumpjoy:

Are your DD's still in the 500 range? and have you ever counted the UD's just to get an idea what they are?

Its great that you are maintaining like this ....(I also want to lose another 4 or so lbs!)

Hugs
Jo
x

itsmeshelly01 10-04-2011 08:34 AM

I know I will be counting forever. I did before juddd and will always. Its jus what I have accepted I need and have to do consistently to make sure I never end up 275lbs again. Its worth it to be a little ocd in my opinion.

SoHappy 10-04-2011 08:43 AM

For myself, this question has a *yes* and *no* answer.

When I first started doing low carb, I was overwhelmed with what I could eat and what I couldn't eat and all of the carb counts in everything, and remembering the foods that were marked as 0 carbs because they had less than a full carb in it, etc. etc. etc. I was forever looking up the food and measuring out the quantity listed and then recording what the carbs and partial carbs for it was. I thought, "Geez.. if I have to do this for the rest of my life, I don't know if it's going to be worth it".

But it wasn't too long before I'd pretty much learned what foods to avoid completely, and what the carb counts were for most of the regular stuff I made my meals out of, and the quantity to eat, etc.. so I could keep a casual count of it all, if you know what I mean. ;) In other words, like everybody else who states they don't measure their foods (but always seem to know they are eating under 20 carbs a day) I did it that way too. And you do sort of fall into eating a lot of the same stuff on a lot of days, no matter what you do, so that makes it easier too.

It's somewhat similar with calories. When you're working on weight loss, you focus more on the exact measurement of your foods and the exact calorie count for it all. And when you do that and adhere to your calorie numbers, the weight melts away. By the time you're ready to maintain, you're awfully familiar with it all, what stuff is low calorie and what foods are high calorie, about how much a 1/2 cup portion looks like, about what foods to continue eating.

In maintenance, I can relax a whole lot more. I have a range I'm happy to stay within, so that allows me to be casual about calories to a pretty good extent. When I've approached my upper limit, it's time to weigh and measure more, count the calories, pay closer attention. That usually brings weight back down to the low end of my *happy* maintenance range, and I'm OK to relax a bit more.

The biggest thing that has helped me is to use that scale. I pay attention to whether it is remaining pretty stable (within a pound or so) as the weeks go by.

On low carb, if you go off plan you can gain 8 pounds of water weight overnight. On my higher carb level of JUDDD, I think I have water weight already on hand, so I no longer have big weight fluctuations of water weight. If I'm up a pound at the end of the week, it's pretty much certain it's fat gain. :laugh: Time to tighten up the reins and count the calories better for a few days. Easy way to maintain. Especially delightful in exchange for what all I eat! :hyst:

dazygyrl 10-04-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedi (Post 15058086)
Oh! I never thought of doing that! :doh:
It would be AWESOME if I could maintain like that...only counting every other day!:jumpjoy:

Are your DD's still in the 500 range? and have you ever counted the UD's just to get an idea what they are?

Its great that you are maintaining like this ....(I also want to lose another 4 or so lbs!)

Hugs
Jo
x

yes, i keep my DD's to 500 or below. if i decide to do a fasting DD and eat just a small evening meal, then it's far below 500 for the day. just depends on my mood. ;) but always around 500 +/- 50 cal or so.

i have tracked on UD's a couple of times and keep them 1850-1900. BUT since i have taken to having little bites of fun foods here and there throughout my UD's, i decided not to track. it seems silly to me to track every bite when it's just that, a few bites. i am *aware* of what i have eaten thru the day and just keep a mental note of about where i am.

SoHappy 10-04-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazygyrl (Post 15058262)
yes, i keep my DD's to 500 or below. if i decide to do a fasting DD and eat just a small evening meal, then it's far below 500 for the day. just depends on my mood. ;) but always around 500 +/- 50 cal or so.

i have tracked on UD's a couple of times and keep them 1850-1900. BUT since i have taken to having little bites of fun foods here and there throughout my UD's, i decided not to track. it seems silly to me to track every bite when it's just that, a few bites. i am *aware* of what i have eaten thru the day and just keep a mental note of about where i am.

On most sites where folks do JUDDD, once they're in maintenance they often don't count on Up Days and just use those as totally free days. They keep the calories however low they need to be on the DDs, and that sort of counterbalances the UDs. That makes a real easy way to do maintenance.

The scale can tell you pretty quickly if your UDs are inching up too high, and then it's time to get control of yourself again. :)

ravenrose 10-04-2011 10:43 AM

I think the question is, what do you mean by counting calories? do you mean controlling what you eat to control the calories, or the actual counting of calories?

you can do the former without the latter if you devise a number of standard meals/portions that you can substitute in without thinking about it. say four each lunches and dinners with the same known calorie counts. then on days you don't want to bother with the counting, just eat from that menu and don't worry about it.

momof3heathens 10-04-2011 01:15 PM

Never thought about that. Great idea.

Beeb 10-04-2011 01:26 PM

I believe, for me at least, I will get to a point that I will just KNOW what to eat and how much.

This happened to me doing LC as long as I did and when I did WW I could tell you the point value for just about anything, and somethings I STILL know how many points they are! :doh::hyst:

I look at it this way: I'm doing the work, counting and figuring out, so that some day soon I won't have to, I'll just KNOW! ;):up::clap: