Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   UD/DD calories? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/738087-ud-dd-calories.html)

tiva 10-01-2011 05:59 PM

UD/DD calories?

Hi-
I'm curious what some of your UD/DD calorie spreads are. I know they vary a lot from individual to individual, and I'd be interested in seeing what some of you have settled on that helps you lose weight.

Today I tried to be very low calorie for my first down day, and even with a lot of effort and hunger, the calories crept up to 830 (on IF, I'm usually at 1400 or so, and not hungry because of all the fat I eat.) I'm hoping that a 700/2100 spread might work for me, keeping the same average calories of 1400.

For reference, I'm 50, 5' 6", 136 lbs. I really don't have much weight to lose, if any, but I want to stay below 134, as much for psychological reasons as for weight reasons. I've been doing intermittent fasting for 3 months, eating each day in a 5 hour eating window with no restrictions on calories, but staying low carb. I'm thinking of trying JUDDD to lose the last 3 lbs. I exercise a fair bit (bike or hike at least an hour a day). I'm trying to lose the last few menopause lbs I gained last year. I've been a low-carber for 10 years, and I'm gluten intolerant, and we eat very few, if any, processed foods. Liquid splenda is the rare exception, and little of that. We have an organic vegetable and berry farm, so I want to eat a lot of berries and veggies, but I also find I need to eat a LOT of fat to function well. I'm not sure if I should just eat my down days as fat, with some salad greens tossed in for volume. Or if I should eat low fat on my down days to get more food, as many of you seem to be doing.

SoHappy 10-01-2011 06:16 PM

Hi, Tiva! Welcome. I think you will really appreciate JUDDD once you've found out what it can do for you, not just for weight loss and maintenance, but just for the ease of being able to enjoy the foods you choose with family and friends and the feeling of well being folks seem to realize from it.

Your calorie plan for Up Days and Down Days sounds reasonable, based on the calorie average you are thinking will be a good one for you. Your plan is providing you with just a bit lower calories level than what your probable maintenance number is. For weight loss we usually figure what our daily maintenance calories are and use that for our UD number, and then figure our Down Days at 20% to 35% of that, or so.

And there is no better way to find out how those numbers and that spread will work for you than to just jump in and do it. Give it a couple of weeks. That's likely to reveal whether that calorie level is going to make you gain weight, lose weight, or maintain at your current level.

Many of us find that there is a bit more daily fluctuation on the scale than in some other plans, but perhaps much of that has to do with being filled with food on one day and kept somewhat empty on the next.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and encouraging. :welcome:

Joedi 10-02-2011 01:21 AM

Hi Tuva! Nice to see you on the juddd thread! I think your cals look like a good starting point... If you lose on them that's fantastic!
Mine are 50O/1700 moderate carb. My carbs are lower and fat is higher on UD's and carbs higher fat lower on DD's ( I fill up on veggies then)
Many of us start with DD cals of about 700... But it tends to naturally reduce as you learn what fills you... and juddd seems to regulate the appetite , so you end up eating less UD
and DD cals!
IMO the first DD is always the hardest!

Hugs
Jo
X

tiva 10-02-2011 05:29 AM

Thanks for the input, Jo and SoHappy. The JUDDD site calculator tells me that a 700/2100 spread is right for my activity level, even though the 2100 seems a bit high for losing weight. I'm a little worried about giving up the simplicity of my Fast-5 rules: don't eat before noon or after 5. But I guess there's nothing wrong with sticking with those rules while I try JUDDD, at least for the DDs.

Last night, at 10:30 pm, I couldn't resist half a steak my husband had grilled and left out to cool. There's no point in worrying about it, even though it took my DD calories far above what they should have been (950 vs. 700). When you all mess up a DD, do you still do the UD the next day, or do you do another DD?

Mommie22boys 10-02-2011 05:38 AM

Hi Tiva! About messing up a DD...if my calories had ended at 950, I might just call it a MD, and go ahead with my UD as planned. I like to have my DDs on Monday, wed, and fri, so I try not to mess with my rotation if I can help it. Now, if my DD calories had gone over 1150 or so, I would have considered that an UD, and made today a DD. Of course, I have more to lose than you, so YMMV. For reference, the cals I shoot for are 500/1610.

Best of luck!!

Beeb 10-02-2011 02:04 PM

:welcome: TO JUDDD! You have gotten lots of good advice and I really can't add anything but give it a try the way the JUDDD calculator suggests and see what happens. I did up my DD calories to 700 because I knew they would be too low for me to feel full, but as the DDs went by I found it very hard to even eat that much after a while. Now I am upping both sides to try to stop losing weight.

Take a couple of weeks as suggested in calories, do IF as many do here and see what happens! What do you have to lose besides the pounds! :up::clap:

itsmeshelly01 10-02-2011 05:03 PM

Mine are 600\1900 but I rarely make 1900 and sometimes I'm at 700 for a DD. I kinda do my own weird thing but I do mon, wed, fri DDs. I do a carbup day on sat because I lift weights. I eat really low carb, high fat and high protein thru the week. On DDs I do a lot of protein and raw veggies to snack on. I love juddd. I think its great for the body carb and calorie cycling. Good luck.

darlingnikki 10-03-2011 04:29 PM

UD 1798
DD 348

tiva 10-04-2011 05:51 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Personally, I won't eat grains or foods that naturally come with fat but have been made low-fat by processing, (they have zero appeal for me, but I understand other people find them satisfying). It's fascinating to learn what other people eat on JODDD. Counting calories is a curious experience after 10 years counting only carbs, but it's fun going to Trader Joes and finding new things that are both low cal and low carb. I might try some DD that have very high fat, just to see how they go.

SoHappy 10-04-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiva (Post 15057545)
Thanks for the feedback. Personally, I won't eat grains or foods that naturally come with fat but have been made low-fat by processing, (they have zero appeal for me, but I understand other people find them satisfying). It's fascinating to learn what other people eat on JODDD. Counting calories is a curious experience after 10 years counting only carbs, but it's fun going to Trader Joes and finding new things that are both low cal and low carb. I might try some DD that have very high fat, just to see how they go.

Absolutely. There is probably a much broader gathering of diet variances gathered on this particular diet forum than in any of the others at LCF, just for the reason that JUDDD is simply a singular plan for cycling calories. Because of this site having started out as one for the Atkins plan, and then growing to include all Low Carb Plans, a strong diet focus for many here is in controlling their level of carbohydrate.

But more and more these last years, LCF has opened to all diet concepts, and turned to be supportive of the varied needs of other dieters. So others are beginning to feel more welcome to be at LCF and to follow the eating plans that help them lose the fat most easily and feel their most happy and energetic.

Of course, it's pretty much a given that most here were low carb dieters on some other plan, but here on this site, previous to coming to JUDDD. So most bring much of that low carb understanding and eating concept with them. And many simply combine their first choice low carb plan, and do it in the JUDDD manner. Works great.

We do certainly have others here who eat very low carb. But JUDDD would also support the food choices of somebody who wanted to do the Twinkie Diet. :laugh: No food requirements and no food restrictions. That's entirely up to each individual. But we all support each other, regardless of the food choices we individually prefer, and it's fun to see all of us here slimming down while we're enjoying what we're eating.

And the lovely thing is, you get to choose whatever you want to make your meals out of too. If you hate low fat products and recipes, you don't ever have to have them. If artificial sweeteners and alternate flours and bake mixes disgust you, you don't have to use them, else do without. You're completely free to choose the foods you want to eat. I eat both artificially sweetened products and things sweetened with sugar. I eat both full fat products and low fat products too. I eat mostly basic whole foods, and then I enjoy some commercially produced things too. You get to make your choices too.

I look forward to your posts here and also your success here. :up:

tiva 10-04-2011 06:20 AM

Thanks, SoHappy, for the warm welcome! I admire so much how generous you are with all the folks who post on this board.

SoHappy 10-04-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiva (Post 15057545)

OH, and.. yeah.. that counting calories is a bummer!

I'd love it if I could go back to the days when I could stuff anything into my mouth that I wanted, in any amount I wanted, whenever I wanted, and not have to count anything!

Unhappily, those days are over, and I grew up. Just counting carbs didn't do it for me, and counting calories did. So guess what I do? Bummer to have to, but bigger bummer to be fat. I wouldn't count if I didn't have to either. :laugh:

SoHappy 10-04-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiva (Post 15057626)
Thanks, SoHappy, for the warm welcome! I admire so much how generous you are with all the folks who post on this board.

I just remember how joyous it was to be slim, slim, slim.. and how upset and heartbroken I was when that all slowly ended and I grew into obesity. Having lived in both bodies, I was desperate to be slim again. Or I would have been satisfied if I could just have attained *not as FAT*. If I tried to bend forward enough to paint my toenails, I kept having to straighten up again just to be able to draw a good breath!

Having discovered Atkins and low carb and LCF, I kept at it for a long, long time. I was one who failed on it. I stuck to the foods, kept very low carb, watched for and counted even the fractions of carbs. Didn't lose much other than the initial water weight. If I ate too much, I would even gain some weight. Heartbreaking.

I originally believed that just straight and strict low carb would enable anyone to lose weight. I was wrong. There are plenty of others out there like me who have to eat in some other manner. I lose weight more easily including oatmeal and apples than I do when I exclude them. Can't tell you the *why*, only that it's the truth, and apparently there are some of us that low carb isn't the best plan for.

But anyway, I believe you will maintain easily. And having your own organic produce right at your fingertips is wonderful for you. Around here, I take advantage of the Farmer's Markets, but fall is here in a few weeks, winter. The produce will all come from the grocery stores.