Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   The Curious Case of Caloric Restriction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/738055-curious-case-caloric-restriction.html)

SoHappy 10-01-2011 02:16 PM

The Curious Case of Caloric Restriction

For those of you who might like to read a good article relating to the subject of caloric restriction and what is being studied and revealed at this time, this is an interesting article. Not too scientific, but pretty interesting. (And apparently Dr. Johnson's *Resveratrol* isn't where it's at. :laugh: And that SIRT1 gene? Probably not either. :laugh: But the calorie restriction with optimum nutrition is dynamite!)

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/email/html/8731sci2.html

Cruzcrzy 10-01-2011 02:52 PM

Pat,

thanks for the article. I just put the book The CR Way on reserve at my local library. I look forward to reading it.

Beeb 10-01-2011 04:04 PM

Great article!! :up: Still like the "skinny gene" idea, though! :D

SoHappy 10-01-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 15051531)
Great article!! :up: Still like the "skinny gene" idea, though! :D

Yeah, just in case.. I'm still JUDDDing. And they are finding other *sort of skinny genes* relationships and workings, so it's far more complex than just don't eat carbs or don't overeat, period.

Guess that's why I no longer buy into much of it very whole-heartedly, not the nutritionists and the healers, not the health nuts and the vitamin pushers, nor the next blogger, the next book author, the next doctor's diet. Gee, just call me a semi-skeptic about a lot of current dietary thought. And I'm not just talking about the most recent food pyramid. :laugh:

I'm pretty willing to listen to it all, read my eyes bleary, explore the various concepts, try things... and then in the end, do whatever I want. :hyst:

I'm liking JUDDD.

SoHappy 10-01-2011 04:25 PM

But I did like this little bit from the studies:

"..........caloric restriction switches biochemical pathways on or off, resulting in higher insulin sensitivity, decreased inflammation, enhanced cardiovascular functioning, reduced muscle wasting with age, and improved resistance to cellular stress.........."

I think this is one thing to consider when deciding to stick with JUDDD for a bit longer than the first few initial days. If eating this way can help produce higher insulin sensitivity, then perhaps it could be deduced that the body's ability to shed fat will be increased with time on JUDDD, and the speed with with it might work for you could increase as it increases your insulin sensitivity.

metqa 10-01-2011 04:35 PM

I haven't read the article yet, but I did hear about a study done on ketogenic diets (ketone producing diets) and its effects on liver and one ketone in particular having the same effect on the body as gotten by caloric restriction. In essense, a ketogenic diet has the same benefits a caloric restriction without hunger.

I heard it on Dana Carpendar's Blog Casts #17

SoHappy 10-01-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 15051595)
I haven't read the article yet, but I did hear about a study done on ketogenic diets (ketone producing diets) and its effects on liver and one ketone in particular having the same effect on the body as gotten by caloric restriction. In essense, a ketogenic diet has the same benefits a caloric restriction without hunger.

I heard it on Dana Carpendar's Blog Casts #17

That is going to make a lot of people at LCF very happy! :up:

Beeb 10-01-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15051605)
That is going to make a lot of people at LCF very happy! :up:

Yes it will and just MAYBE :aprayer: they will look at JUDDD a little different, too! ;):up:

Joedi 10-01-2011 05:44 PM

Very interesting article! The couple looked good... But boy, was that guy thin... He was at MY goal weight!
Thanks for posting, Pat!
hugs
Jo
X