Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Playing Around With The Calories

OK, as all my JUDDD BUDDDs know I am below goal and trying to maintain my weight at 140. I have been eating 825 cals on my DDs or there about, but never more and 1605 or there about on my UDs, and again never more. Well, I'm still losing weight and I'm trying to figure out my calories to be able to stop losing.

As per the JUDDD calculator I should be eating, at 60% maintenance, 953 cals for DD and 1588 cals for UDs.

What I am wondering is could I move those calories around a bit; borrow from the DD and give to the UD like: Subtract 22 calories from my DD and give it to my UD making my UD 1610 and my DD 931.

Do you think this would work, can it be done without screwing with the science of JUDDD? I want more calories on my UDs. Having 931 cals is more than enough for me on my DDs so I'm thinking I could easily do these numbers, but I just don't want to mess something up by doing the subtracting and adding thing.

What do you guys think?

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Linda, here is my opinion on this. There really isn't any standard *science* behind this as to percentages that you have to eat at, etc. I mean.. would you be doomed to failure if you decided to eat at (gasp) 28% instead of 25% or 30%? Or if you didn't increase your DD calories as you neared maintenance and instead increased your UD calories a bit instead?

Naw..... Tinkering around with it a bit isn't going to break it. Tinkering around with it so much that it doesn't remotely resemble a calorie restriction / calorie cycling plan would probably change its dynamic and your results.

If I were you, I'd feel free to bring my DD calories down just a bit lower and then increase my UD calories so that I had more freedom to enjoy my meals on that day. In fact, that's what I do.

It sounds to me like your overall calorie consumption is now a bit on the low side to maintain your current weight level. I don't know whether you just started off with a BMR that was set a bit too low, or whether JUDDD has spurred your metabolism to operate at a somewhat higher rate this soon after you started on the plan, but regardless, I think you just need to eat a little more.

Why don't you lower your DDs to 800 cals and increase your UDs to 1,750 and see if that maintains your weight over the course of a week. If you're still losing, increase UDs by another 100 cals. If your gaining, decrease your UD cals by 50.

I think you just need to eat more. Kinda' fun to tell someone on a weight loss forum that they need to eat more!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

Wow, eat more? You really think so? I put my height 65.5 inches, weight 139.8 and age 53 in the JUDDD calculator and at 60% it's telling me 953 cals for DDs and 1588 for UDs. I eating 825 cals for DDs and 1605 cals for UDs now.

Do you really think it's not enough by what the calculator is saying? It's even less on the DDs if I use the 50% and the 55%. At my lower weight it just makes sense I need less calories, right?

I'm so
Old 09-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #4

Well, you said you're currently eating about 825 on Down Days and 1605 on Up Days, so only 2430 for two days. Divided in half, that's only 1,215 calories per day average. That's considered a real low weight loss level of calories. And you said that on these calories, you are continuing to lose weight.

Unless I've misunderstood this, it seems like you could use a few more calories to bring that weight loss to an end and make your body maintain its present weight. Give or take a smidge.

So if you lowered DD cals to 800 and raised UD cals to 1,750, that only increases your daily average of calories up to 1275.. still down in what most would consider deep weight loss territory!

You might have to eat even more than that to stop the weight loss.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Well, you said you're currently eating about 825 on Down Days and 1605 on Up Days, so only 2430 for two days. Divided in half, that's only 1,215 calories per day average. That's considered a real low weight loss level of calories. And you said that on these calories, you are continuing to lose weight.

Unless I've misunderstood this, it seems like you could use a few more calories to bring that weight loss to an end and make your body maintain its present weight. Give or take a smidge.

So if you lowered DD cals to 800 and raised UD cals to 1,750, that only increases your daily average of calories up to 1275.. still down in what most would consider deep weight loss territory!

You might have to eat even more than that to stop the weight loss.
OH, now I understand! Been one of those days for me today! Thanks for explaining this! OK, so maybe bring the DDs cals up to 950 and the UD cals to around 1,750. That would give me 1,350 cals daily average. BUT is the calorie spread this way not enough, should it be further apart? This is where I'm stumbling trying to figure it out. I am going by the JUDDD calculator for 60% maintenance and maybe this isn't a good thing?

Told you my mind isn't all here today!

Last edited by Beeb; 09-30-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #6

That would probably be fine.

Or you could raise DDs to 900 and UDs to 1800, which is 50%, which is fine too, and I'll bet that would work for you too, plus keep the spread a little further apart.. hopefully keeping metabolism perking along nicely, and even give you a more lavish number of cals to work with on UDs.

His suggestion was of raising DD cals up to the 50% to 60% range, and I like the smaller percentage with a higher UD calorie ceiling the best. Seems like it gives us the most of what JUDDD can do for us.

Then I think it would just be a matter of putting those calorie amounts into play, holding to them for a week or 10 days, and seeing how that calorie level works out for you. Then tweak it a bit up or down, depending.. or maybe it'll be perfect right there. Sort of a *try it and see* situation right now.

You've done so well with this, and are now reaping a fun reward... having to eat more and more in order to maintain. That just cracks me up! Do you think you'd dare post about it in the Main Lobby?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Why not! That's how myself, and others here learned about juddd... don't hide your weight loss light under a bushel, beeb!
I agree with sohappy, increase those UD cals, keep a good difference between the UD and DD's. Perhaps add a T or two coconut oil or cream, plus some extra butter on your veg on those UD's? I remember you saying fat never killed your appetite, so you will still be able to eat.... but fat sure adds on the calories!
Let's us know how it goes!
Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #8

OK, since I don't do any form of exercise, at least I don't think I do, I calculated at the sedentary level and this is how I got my maintenance cals at 60%, which BTW were the highest cals there, all the other maintenance % were lower and THAT is not good for me. This give me the cal number of 953 cals DD and 1588 cals UD but even tweak this around and borrowing from my DDs to up my UDs I'm still doing about the same as I am now in cals for both days and this is not helping me to maintain but loss further.

If I do the 50% (60% was way crazy high for calories) but go to exercise 1 to 3 days I got these number, 910 DDs cals and 1819 UDs. I'm thinking more like Pat's suggestion of 900 and 1,800. So what I think I'm going to try it this way and see what happens. Maybe I AM doing exercise but just don't know it.

Thanks Pat and Joedi for the advice, as always you guys are very wise, and I don't think I'll post this on the Main Lobby.....I have enough problems with certain people on there as it is!

BUT I will tell you I NEVER thought I would have a problem NOT losing weight! Too crazy and I'm actually lovin it!!

Last edited by Beeb; 10-01-2011 at 08:10 AM..
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I thought I'd pop in and say that I'm somewhere between completely inactive and the other choice, 1-3 times per week. I thought the UD calories for completely inactive was too low (1578), and the calories for 1-3 exercise days was too high (1808). I mean light exercise 3 times a week doesn't burn 1600 calories - at least not the way I do it!

I'm all for pushing your UD calories up. At 5'2", I think I would be losing on your maintenance plan. I try to keep my UD around 1600-1700.

Good luck settling into maintenance, it's a fun problem to watch you have! Have some cream or butter for me.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I thought I'd pop in and say that I'm somewhere between completely inactive and the other choice, 1-3 times per week. I thought the UD calories for completely inactive was too low (1578), and the calories for 1-3 exercise days was too high (1808). I mean light exercise 3 times a week doesn't burn 1600 calories - at least not the way I do it!

I'm all for pushing your UD calories up. At 5'2", I think I would be losing on your maintenance plan. I try to keep my UD around 1600-1700.

Good luck settling into maintenance, it's a fun problem to watch you have! Have some cream or butter for me.
I've been thinking about her problem, and I think I know what is burning up all of her calories!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
I've been thinking about her problem, and I think I know what is burning up all of her calories!

OK, I have settled on a plan of 900 cals for DDs and 1,800 cals for UDs. Going to see how this works and I will keep you all posted here and in the weight thread!

Last edited by Beeb; 10-01-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Sign me up for that exercise plan.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #14

Quote:
..........you could raise DDs to 900 and UDs to 1800, which is 50%, which is fine too, and I'll bet that would work for you too, plus keep the spread a little further apart.. hopefully keeping metabolism perking along nicely, and even give you a more lavish number of cals to work with on UDs..........
Quote:
..........OK, I have settled on a plan of 900 cals for DDs and 1,800 cals for UDs. Going to see how this works and I will keep you all posted here and in the weight thread!..........
I just don't see how those numbers can be too far off for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's as easy as that.

And, you know.. pretty easy after a couple of weeks if you're gaining to scale it back, or if you're still losing to add in some more!

I'm really going to be interested in how this works for you. We'll all be watching intently.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #15

Quote:
I just don't see how those numbers can be too far off for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's as easy as that.

And, you know.. pretty easy after a couple of weeks if you're gaining to scale it back, or if you're still losing to add in some more!

I'm really going to be interested in how this works for you. We'll all be watching intently.
Yup, I agree with you 100% my dear Pat and I'll keep us all posted!

Now to get some exercise!!

Last edited by Beeb; 10-01-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #16

OK, here to report I'm down another .6 pounds! I upped my DD/UD cals, ate real close to 900 yesterday for my DD and ate probably over 1,800 on Saturday and I lost weight!

Now I'm starting to get worried. Wondering if I have a medical thing going on, even though I feel wonderful!!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #17

Quote:
OK, here to report I'm down another .6 pounds! I upped my DD/UD cals, ate real close to 900 yesterday for my DD and ate probably over 1,800 on Saturday and I lost weight!

Now I'm starting to get worried. Wondering if I have a medical thing going on, even though I feel wonderful!!
I doubt you have anything going on other than you aren't eating enough calories overall to meet your maintenance requirements. And that means *Lucky You*!!!

Your two days of UD and DD combined are only 2700 calories, so only 1350 average each day. For many women, that is weight loss territory. Apparently it is for you too.

If it were me, I'd hold here for another couple of days, just to test it out, and if there is anymore drop in weight, I'd add 100 calories to each day and test that for another few days or a week. Stabilized weight equals 'good'. Still losing weight equals 'add 100 calories to each day again and try that out'.

I told you that lots of us experience an increase in our metabolic rates when we do JUDDD. And it's not the food choices that work the magic. It's doing the up-down cycling of the calories. So while just dieting can be hard AND not bring about weight loss very effectively, something about sticking to the alternating calories does the trick. And it seems to work for everyone. IF.. they do it.

Oh, to have Linda's maintenance problems!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

OK, I've always wondered how you stop losing weight on JUDDD if your overall calories average below your maintenance calories.

And in maintenance mode the Up Calories don't change, and it seems to me they should go up quite a bit?

Just a thought, you could try adding a 100 to each DD and UD until weight loss stops?

I'm sure you can figure this out, and I look forward to seeing what you do, you have done so well!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #19

Going to do what Paula and Pat suggest. I'm going to add more calories to each day and see what happens. I really don't think I'm having a medical issue, I feel great, sleeping fine, nothing really wrong. A little blue but that is the crappy weather we have been having in Jersey and I'm taking my vitamin D3 again that always helps in the darker months. Also, because I feel I don't do any exercise my calorie number have always been low, but maybe I'm doing more than I know and need to calculate at a higher exercise rate. Will check this out and find a happy medium!

And the "beeb" experiment continues!! And I gotta say I feel like stupid with this issue when so many are having the opposite problem.

Do appreciate all the help, though! you guys!!

Last edited by Beeb; 10-03-2011 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #20

Also, Linda, I have to laugh every time I think of you previously over in the Main Lobby, wailing about weight GAIN on your low carb plan, and bemoaning the thought that you might just have to give up everything in order to lose.

Yeah, well.. no. You not only didn't have to give up everything, you basically got *everything* handed back to you on a silver platter. And you're enjoying not only being able to eat everything, you're in the hilarious predicament of trying to stop more weight loss from happening, all because you didn't give up everything!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Also, Linda, I have to laugh every time I think of you previously over in the Main Lobby, wailing about weight GAIN on your low carb plan, and bemoaning the thought that you might just have to give up everything in order to lose.

Yeah, well.. no. You not only didn't have to give up everything, you basically got *everything* handed back to you on a silver platter. And you're enjoying not only being able to eat everything, you're in the hilarious predicament of trying to stop more weight loss from happening, all because you didn't give up everything!
And I SHOULD post about this on the main lobby but...............

YUP, I got the best of ALL worlds with JUDDD!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Also, because I feel I don't do any exercise my calorie number have always been low, but maybe I'm doing more than I know and need to calculate at a higher exercise rate. Will check this out and find a happy medium!
I wanted to add something else. I had been lowcarbing for years, at 200+ pounds. Eating over 1500 calories a day, lowcarb, and I would gain weight. After my first round of hcg, I found I could eat 2000 calories a day and maintain (that's when I was 176 pounds).

From what I have seen and understand, JUDDD does the same thing in fixing broken metabolisms, so don't underestimate your maintenance calories. They may have shot up significantly since you started JUDDDing. I know after my first round of hcg I was amazed and excited to start adding massive amounts of more calories - at least it felt massive at first after years of deprivation.

And when it comes down to it, calculators are only guides, we have to just see what works - whether it's more or less.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #23

Quote:
And I SHOULD post about this on the main lobby but...............

YUP, I got the best of ALL worlds with JUDDD!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #24

Quote:
I wanted to add something else. I had been lowcarbing for years, at 200+ pounds. Eating over 1500 calories a day, lowcarb, and I would gain weight. After my first round of hcg, I found I could eat 2000 calories a day and maintain (that's when I was 176 pounds).

From what I have seen and understand, JUDDD does the same thing in fixing broken metabolisms, so don't underestimate your maintenance calories. They may have shot up significantly since you started JUDDDing. I know after my first round of hcg I was amazed and excited to start adding massive amounts of more calories - at least it felt massive at first after years of deprivation.

And when it comes down to it, calculators are only guides, we have to just see what works - whether it's more or less.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #25

Quote:

Thanks so much!! I was having such a hard time 2 months ago that to see these wonderful results is just kinda freaking me out! Now I can see a different twist on it from your post!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Hi! beeb!

I think its wonderful that you healed your metabolism..it appears to have taken off like a speeding train!

I was thinking...your maintainance cals are 1650 per day (if I remember correctly)
What you are wanting is a total of 3300 (1650+1650) every 2 days.

So an UD could be 2100, DD 1155. That gives you an average of 3255 cals every 2 days...and a maintainance percentage of 55%.

It DOES sound like an awful lot of cals...but lots of coffees with heavy cream, and some coconut bark...and you are there!

I am following your experiment with great interest...I am just delighted at how well juddd is working for you...you deserve it!

Hope you feel a bit more cheerful soon...the winter blues are horrible!

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #27

UPDATE: I have not been very hungry in the last couple of days so my DD and UD where lower than I wanted them to be to maintain. I just couldn't eat either because it was too late at night to eat when I got done with clients and I didn't want to go to bed on a full belly or because I just couldn't eat another thing, I was too full.

Well anyway, I'm down another .6 pounds which goes to prove I NEED to eat up to the calories I decided for maintenance or I'm going to continue to lose.

I'm not concerned at all about this, and the experiment has gone well. I now KNOW it's not a medical thing because I can maintain on the higher cals as I proved in the beginning of the week.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #28

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/138/130-135
Quote:
UPDATE: I have not been very hungry in the last couple of days so my DD and UD where lower than I wanted them to be to maintain. I just couldn't eat either because it was too late at night to eat when I got done with clients and I didn't want to go to bed on a full belly or because I just couldn't eat another thing, I was too full.

Well anyway, I'm down another .6 pounds which goes to prove I NEED to eat up to the calories I decided for maintenance or I'm going to continue to lose.

I'm not concerned at all about this, and the experiment has gone well. I now KNOW it's not a medical thing because I can maintain on the higher cals as I proved in the beginning of the week.
Thanks for the update, Linda. The upside is that at least it CONFIRMED to you that you DO indeed need the higher calorie level to maintain. What are you striving for in terms of calories for your DD's and UD's?
Cruzcrzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #29

Don't know when Linda will be back to answer your question, but I believe she was trying UDs of 1800 and DDs were at 900, and I think that is the level that seemed to hold her weight stable. I know she'll correct these numbers if I have this wrong.

So even her DDs allow enough calories to really be able to enjoy a lot of food variety and menu options and delicious recipes. And UDs up in that 1800 calorie range can mean there is room for a lot of nourishing food, and also calorie room for some of those little delicious and delightful *extras* that we can choose to indulge in, courtesy of JUDDD. All while staying strictly on plan.

I'm so happy for her.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #30

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/138/130-135
Quote:
Don't know when Linda will be back to answer your question, but I believe she was trying UDs of 1800 and DDs were at 900, and I think that is the level that seemed to hold her weight stable. I know she'll correct these numbers if I have this wrong.

So even her DDs allow enough calories to really be able to enjoy a lot of food variety and menu options and delicious recipes. And UDs up in that 1800 calorie range can mean there is room for a lot of nourishing food, and also calorie room for some of those little delicious and delightful *extras* that we can choose to indulge in, courtesy of JUDDD. All while staying strictly on plan.

I'm so happy for her.
Thanks, Pat. I know at some point those are the numbers she landed at, but, was wondering if she feels like she needs to even go higher. It's a great problem to have. I am so glad for her. It's fun to see her progress!
Cruzcrzy is online now   Reply With Quote