Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #2941
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
I went away for two weeks during the holidays and fell off the wagon. Being having a really hard time getting back on ever since! This week has been filled with failed down days. I just can't make it to dinner. I'm starving by the time it comes around and end up eating way more than I should. I'm still staying under my UP total but I just can't stick to 500 cals. I've always had trouble with it. Plus I'm not getting support from my DH, who thinks starving myself is unacceptable. So it's been a rough week. I haven't weighed. Too afraid to. Today is my fourth attempt at a DD this week. As usual I'm starving and food is all I can think about. The broth just isn't cutting it. Anyone have this problem or am I the only one who can't stand starving?
How much lean protein do you eat on DDs? For me, and some others here, protein is the magic appetite suppressant. Find something low cal, like tilapia. I buy mine in individually frozen packets. Sometimes if I'm really hungry and can't wait to cook it in a pan, I take it out of the freezer, rinse it with warm water and then take it out of the wrapping and put it in a Zip-n-Steam bag. Toss it in the microwave for 2 minutes and it is so satisfying. 23 grams of protein for a 3 ounce filet and I think it's only about 80 calories.

Think protein and eat it first every time you eat anything. This should help!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #2942
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
You are welcome!!!
Sometimes the scale is too bouncy on this WOE to be sure of what's going on, I think! After I see a new low, then gain 4lbs, and don't see that low again for a few days while I'm losing most of that 4lbs again, I get annoyed by all the higher readings.

I can see why some people only weigh once a week!
But--this is also why I do weigh everyday, because otherwise I might miss some of those lows!
That's exactly how I feel! I know I whine about the daily bounces, but seriously it does not bother me that much because I understand what's happening in my body. AND, I do not want to miss seeing those NEW LOW numbers! My newest lower low number is 2.5 pounds under my recent week's average. What that says to me is that I can look forward to that becoming my new weekly average soon. Woooo-Hooooo! It's downward from there. You never know which day that new low will show up. I wanna see it when it happens!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #2943
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine2 View Post
Kissa: It is impressive to see your weight lose of 61#. I bet you feel great...you look it!
Bless you Wine2, but you do need to know that I lost most of my weight in 2001 doing Atkins. That took me to an average of 132 for a long time then, as the years past, it began to creep up until, in the middle of last year I was 138 and afraid!

I cut back on carbs and calories until I early October I was down to 131.

Then I found JUDDD. It has all been downhill from there

I have eaten so many foods I believed lost to me fore Eric and I am maintaining under my goal weight with ease.

As I write this in a ski resort in Austria, I feel so lucky to be able to eat well and feel confident that any gain will go with ease if I simply follow the JUDDD rules. Stay down on my DDs, and equally importantly in my opinion, eat right up to my maximum UD calories on my up days.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I love everyone here, what great, supportive folks we have here.

I also have to thank my wonderful DD, MintQ8, who is such a help to me and has lost 20 in under 7 weeks since she joined me on JUDDD. Sharing this WOE is so good.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

Last edited by Kissa; 01-08-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #2944
Blabbermouth!!!

Here's what's happening on my scale:

December 22, 2011 (Day 1 JUDD) 201.4

December 28, 2011 (Day 7 JUDD) 201.6 +.2

January 4, 2011 (Day 14 JUDD) 200.2 -1.4

Yippeeeee!!! And I have already told you that inches are melting everywhere!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #2945

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Cindy, I am so happy you are able to have a fun vacation away and eat, drink, and enjoy with complete confidence that your weight will remain managed, and any slight gain will melt back off with JUDDD!

And absolutely thrilled at how well Vicki is doing! She's doing an amazing job, isn't she! and another inspiration for us all. She's losing pounds at such a wonderful rate, and I know she is enjoying her Up Days too. Yay!

Hugs to you both.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #2946
Blabbermouth!!!

Cindy: Sounds like you are having an awesome time! Congrats on all you have achieved and continue to maintain. What an inspiration you are to all of us!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #2947
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
On calorie-count calculate for 3 oz talapia is 69.8 cals! Fantastic! Also tuna in water for 2 oz is 60 cals.... I'm a BIG eggbeater fan, so on DD day I eat about every 2 hrs or so (about 6 times during the day) and once before bed 6 oz eggbeaters cooked with various 0 calorie seasonings and condiments. Of course this is usually done on a weekend DD where I can cook eggbeaters in my home every 2 hours or so! Protein on DD helps me too. And on UD, I tend to eat all the veggies I didn't have on DD including potato! Yummmmm. Works well so far...

Beth
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #2948
Blabbermouth!!!

Today is a DD for me. I decided I need to have Mondays and Wednesdays be UDs because of my schedule. Have learned lots from all of you about how to work that out.

Yesterday was a MD and I made a huge pot of vegetable soup. DH loves my soup! Today at lunchtime I re-heated it, added a bag of fresh spinach and a bunch of chopped up leftover turkey breast. I'm going to be munching on that soup every time I get hungry. I'll eat the turkey first to stay full. Also have some fat free plain Greek yogurt and that will be my late in the day snack.

What I've been doing this morning to stay motivated is cleaning out my closet and dresser drawers. I'm getting rid of more and more big-n'-baggy clothes. And, happily, I'm finding some smaller ones that now fit me. This is exactly the kind of motivation I need on a DD to keep me JUDDing!

I want to thank you all again for being here and sharing your journey. What a great bunch of peeps. You have all helped me so much!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #2949
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I also have to thank my wonderful DD, MintQ8, who is such a help to me and has lost 20 in under 7 weeks since she joined me on JUDDD. Sharing this WOE is so good.
I bet you and DD worked it so that you both are on the same day as far as UD/DD rotation! How fun to have a family member on this too! My DH is starting to eat some of the DD food I'm eating now. Maybe out of desperation for SOMETHING to eat. Hahahaha. I also see that on my DD days he seems to eat chips/cookies out of my sight so it won't bother me. Sweet!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #2950
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
On calorie-count calculate for 3 oz talapia is 69.8 cals! Fantastic! Also tuna in water for 2 oz is 60 cals.... I'm a BIG eggbeater fan, so on DD day I eat about every 2 hrs or so (about 6 times during the day) and once before bed 6 oz eggbeaters cooked with various 0 calorie seasonings and condiments. Of course this is usually done on a weekend DD where I can cook eggbeaters in my home every 2 hours or so! Protein on DD helps me too. And on UD, I tend to eat all the veggies I didn't have on DD including potato! Yummmmm. Works well so far...
Beth: Thanks! One thing I'm enjoying right now is my new digital food scale. Got it as a Christmas gift and it's awesome! I never had one before. Used to be when I had something like a glass of wine (like I had with my steak on last UD ) I would just eyeball it.

Now, I can put the glass right on the scale, turn it on and it automatically comes on at zero. Then it measures the ounces as I pour. Even if I want to top something off, I just put it on there, turn it on and add to it.

Now I know exact portion sizes! I know, I know. I'm so easily thrilled, huh?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #2951

Quote:
I bet you and DD worked it so that you both are on the same day as far as UD/DD rotation! How fun to have a family member on this too! My DH is starting to eat some of the DD food I'm eating now. Maybe out of desperation for SOMETHING to eat. Hahahaha. I also see that on my DD days he seems to eat chips/cookies out of my sight so it won't bother me. Sweet!
He's a good boy. LOL

I've found empty candy bar wrappers stuffed down under the other stuff in an occasional wastepaper basket around here too, and I always think it's cute of my DH to do that.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #2952
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
No, I don't think it's acceptable to be hungry AT ALL (which, BTW is not the same thing as "starving yourself").
I actually think it's okay to be hungry. It used to scare me, a lot, to be hungry and I have done so much better with my eating and weight loss since I started figuring out that it's okay, maybe six months ago. I started eating once a day, at around 7 pm, and I felt wonderful. The first day I did it, I felt woozy for a little while around 4 pm and I was HUNGRY, but I don't think it lasted longer than 20 minutes and then by 7 I was not nearly as interested in food as I would have thought. That first day it freaked me out and I didn't think I'd be able to survive it without eating, but over time I could acknowledge it and move on and then the next time I thought about it, it'd be gone. Nothing to fear!

I don't think I've ever (at least in recent years) been as hungry as I was on the evening and over-night of my first DD. It was actually waking me up! But when I got up in the morning I wasn't all that hungry and I think I went until well afternoon the next day without eating.

There have been times that I haven't been able to work through it, though, and it seems like all of the stars have to line up right for it to work. Skinjob, I think maybe you should just keep trying. If it really feels terrible, maybe tell yourself if you *still* feel terrible in an hour you'll eat and then try again the next day. I do think the protein advice is good and also, for me, fat is very helpful. A few pieces of bacon in the afternoon can make me feel well fed all day long -- and I have a vicious appetite.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 01-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #2953

Wine2, Pat love toes thoughtful husbands!

YamYam you and I are loving the "shop in your own home" moments and getting rid of all the baggy things we never want to wear again.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #2954
Senior LCF Member

BACON...THAT IS ALL I WANTED TO SAY. HEE HEE HEHEE
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #2955

Quote:
Wine2, Pat love toes thoughtful husbands!

YamYam you and I are loving the "shop in your own home" moments and getting rid of all the baggy things we never want to wear again.
Cindy! WHAT does this mean? ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #2956

Try 'those'. LOL.

I blame Austrian wine!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #2957
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Cindy: You got that right! Sometimes my closet is my favorite store. I found a pair of black jeans with rhinestones on all the pockets. I had totally forgotten about them.

I think when I bought them they were tight and only fit me for about 5 minutes! Now they are a bit baggy. But still, oh! so cute!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #2958
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
[quote=rubidoux;15309034]
Quote:
I actually think it's okay to be hungry. It used to scare me, a lot, to be hungry and I have done so much better with my eating and weight loss since I started figuring out that it's okay, maybe six months ago.
Well, this is a lesson I am still learning. I've really been afraid to be hungry, which is why I answered as I did. But I honestly believe you are right...it just takes the right mindset and some experience. It's not for everyone, though. Or at least, it might be for everyone, but only when they are ready for it (which you explained well).

Quote:
There have been times that I haven't been able to work through it, though, and it seems like all of the stars have to line up right for it to work. Skinjob, I think maybe you should just keep trying. If it really feels terrible, maybe tell yourself if you *still* feel terrible in an hour you'll eat and then try again the next day.
I consider this to be really good advice. Always "allow" yourself to do what really seems to be the right thing...but there is definitely something to be gained by not folding at the first opportunity. Since I am new at **this** particular way of eating....I still have a lot to learn.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #2959
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
Thanks for all the great advice ladies! I want to get back into the groove because JUDDD was working - albeit slowly - before I went on that deadly vacation. I'm at 500/1800. I might let myself have 600 today as it's dinner time and I have only 200 cals left. Great tip about the protein! I'll have some tuna tonight with a salad. For breakfast I usually just have coffee and try to put off eating as long as I can on DDs. But I think I'll add some protein there too. I've been going way overboard with the carbs on JUDDD because, well, I can! And I like that freedom. But I'm like an addict that way. I can't be trusted with carbs. So I've cut way back on them. Sticking to lean protein and veggies. I'm going to make it through this DD and weigh in tomorrow. Then I'll know how much damage the vacation did.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #2960

Quote:
Try 'those'. LOL.

I blame Austrian wine!
Oh, of course! I should have figured that out! LOL

And thumbs up to the wine. Enjoy.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #2961

Quote:
Thanks for all the great advice ladies! I want to get back into the groove because JUDDD was working - albeit slowly - before I went on that deadly vacation. I'm at 500/1800. I might let myself have 600 today as it's dinner time and I have only 200 cals left. Great tip about the protein! I'll have some tuna tonight with a salad. For breakfast I usually just have coffee and try to put off eating as long as I can on DDs. But I think I'll add some protein there too. I've been going way overboard with the carbs on JUDDD because, well, I can! And I like that freedom. But I'm like an addict that way. I can't be trusted with carbs. So I've cut way back on them. Sticking to lean protein and veggies. I'm going to make it through this DD and weigh in tomorrow. Then I'll know how much damage the vacation did.
That sounds like a plan. We all find our best foods, our best times to eat those meals, etc. and I know you will too. Good luck. I'll be looking forward to reading about your continued success very shortly!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #2962
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Here's what's happening on my scale:

December 22, 2011 (Day 1 JUDD) 201.4

December 28, 2011 (Day 7 JUDD) 201.6 +.2

January 4, 2011 (Day 14 JUDD) 200.2 -1.4

Yippeeeee!!! And I have already told you that inches are melting everywhere!
Just realized, I meant 2012 on the last one. Oops!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #2963
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
This week has been filled with failed down days. I just can't make it to dinner. I'm starving by the time it comes around and end up eating way more than I should. I'm still staying under my UP total but I just can't stick to 500 cals. I've always had trouble with it. Plus I'm not getting support from my DH, who thinks starving myself is unacceptable. So it's been a rough week...Today is my fourth attempt at a DD this week. As usual I'm starving and food is all I can think about. The broth just isn't cutting it. Anyone have this problem or am I the only one who can't stand starving?
I have been in this situation pretty much since the day after Christmas! (Christmas Eve & Day were planned meals)
Your experience may be totally different, but here is what I have noticed:
I have two different types of hunger; the "desperate" one and the "calm" one. The 1st one seems to happen when I have been eating carbs, especially bread;
and the second one is when I haven't--maybe I'm in ketosis? It's not appetite suppression, exactly, but I can bear this type of hunger for hours.

To get back into that state, I have been doing the Atkins Fat Fast on my DDs. I go "over" my DD calories, but getting my hunger & blood sugar under control is really, really important to me; if it means I don't lose weight for a week, I don't mind, because it gets me out of the habit of overeating and eating off-plan foods (I have diabetes). It also feels like it helps me "shrink" my stomach, which has "stretched" over the holidays (IDK if that shrink/stretch thing is real or just a myth, but I hope you know what I'm talking about)!

That broth that you say is not satisfying? Try it with a couple tablespoons of half & half or light cream! Sometimes I add minced celery and grated zucchini for a little texture...
but not a lot, because I don't want that full/stretched tummy feeling.

And I think cutting back on carbs is a really good idea if it makes you feel less hungry & you'll be able to get back on plan sooner.

Quote:
For breakfast I usually just have coffee and try to put off eating as long as I can on DDs.
It may not be an issue for you, but I have noticed that I get hungry quicker when I drink regular coffee; it must mess with my blood sugar, because it's that desperate/shaky hunger.
Have you ever tried skipping the coffee or having decaf? (are you smashing stuff now? )

Nice to see you back and I hope you had a really wonderful vacation!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #2964
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Beth: Thanks! One thing I'm enjoying right now is my new digital food scale. Got it as a Christmas gift and it's awesome! I never had one before. Used to be when I had something like a glass of wine (like I had with my steak on last UD ) I would just eyeball it.

Now, I can put the glass right on the scale, turn it on and it automatically comes on at zero. Then it measures the ounces as I pour. Even if I want to top something off, I just put it on there, turn it on and add to it.

Now I know exact portion sizes! I know, I know. I'm so easily thrilled, huh?
That topping off thing is pretty clever!
But you might want to double-check...when calories are given for a beverage/liquid, it's by volume, not weight.

8 fluid ounces of water actually weigh 9 ounces!
Ha, that could give you some extra calories, actually!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #2965
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
That topping off thing is pretty clever!
But you might want to double-check...when calories are given for a beverage/liquid, it's by volume, not weight.

8 fluid ounces of water actually weigh 9 ounces!
Ha, that could give you some extra calories, actually!
In my calorie/carb counter book it says 3.5 fluid ounces of white wine is 70 calories. Doesn't that mean I can weigh it on the scale?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #2966
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
In my calorie/carb counter book it says 3.5 fluid ounces of white wine is 70 calories. Doesn't that mean I can weigh it on the scale?
No, sorry. The American/Imperial weights and volume system is goofy, to say the least. Two ounces of weight (i.e. dry products) is not the same thing as two ounces of volume. So, a liquid that filled up two liquid ounces (say, water, or even wine) would not weigh the same on your scale as two liquid ounces of oil....remember that oil is lighter than water...which is why it floats. This isn't something we think about all that often, until something like this comes up.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #2967
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, sorry. The American/Imperial weights and volume system is goofy, to say the least. Two ounces of weight (i.e. dry products) is not the same thing as two ounces of volume. So, a liquid that filled up two liquid ounces (say, water, or even wine) would not weigh the same on your scale as two liquid ounces of oil....remember that oil is lighter than water...which is why it floats. This isn't something we think about all that often, until something like this comes up.
Yup...you're right...unfortunately!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #2968
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Interesting discussion. I don't know how scientific this is, but I put my glass measuring cup on the scale. Turned it on to zero out the glass. Then I poured water in exactly to the 8 ounce line on the measuring cup. The digital scale showed exactly 8 ounces. Now, after your post, I'm going to have to go back and pour in some oil to see how much extra I have to pour in to register 8 oz on the scale! Inquiring minds want to know. lol. Only problem, the oil has an attached pour spout, so I can't put it back in the bottle!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #2969
Major LCF Poster!

Don't know how much the difference is, so it is possible that it would take a larger quantity - or more accurate scales - to show a difference...for example you might need a gallon of water vs. a gallon of oil for the scales to register the difference.

I will be curious to hear the results, though.

OK, here ya go:
Quote:
First a couple of the facts.

One gallon of oil weighs about 6.84 pounds.

One gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds.
This is from this page:

Online Conversion - weight diff between oil and water us gal

so maybe that will help!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #2970
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, maybe my scale is off. I measured 8oz (1 cup) of water and it weighed 9oz.

The weight differences in oil, water, wine, etc might not be drastic in small amounts.
A gallon or five gallons, though, would probably show a difference.

ETA--ha, Georgene! You beat me to it!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-08-2012 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: ETA
Closed Thread