Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #2731
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I'm unsure where this 'myth' developed that the gap between DDs and UDs is important in JUDDD. This is calorie cycling, and it's the deficit created by the average between UDs and DDs that is responsible for loss.
I do appreciate your sharing Dr J's comment about the UD calories being a limit rather than what one should eat.

But I thought the SIRT1 gene activation, not just calorie restriction, was also responsible for weight loss and other health benefits?
And that the activation is accomplished by a combination of fasting and eating sufficient calories (ad lib in animal studies)?

Otherwise, one might just as well eat the average of UD/DDs every day,
and the only advantage to JUDDD would be that some people might find it less tedious to "diet" every other day rather than every day.

I don't mean to imply that it's just the "gap" that makes the difference--if one were to eat 3x one's maintenance calories on UDs and half on DDs, for example, that would create a huge "gap" but no deficit--but if a person's UD calories are too close to a level that causes the metabolism to slow down, alternating with the even more stringent DDs...couldn't that cause slower weight loss for some people? And, perhaps more importantly, negative health effects from malnutrition?
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #2732
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
The problem is how do we know exactly what our maintenance calories are if we're one of those people who have never counted calories in our entire lives? I was one of them. I really had no clue how many calories I ate for any given day either while low carbing or before that. So I started out around 1500-1600 for my UD calories,
Don't know if this will help but here goes for what it's worth. I have heard and read that for gradual weight loss, multiply your goal weight by 10 and that's the # of calories you should average per day. For maintenance, multiply by 12.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #2733
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Yam Yam-

Because I have such a dysfunctional metabolism, I could not use any of those BMR calculators to determine caloric requirements. I had to figure it out by trial and error. In principle, if you're not losing or gaining, that's your maintenance level.

When I began at 340 lbs, I could only eat 1400 cal daily to lose. After I lost my first 60-70 lbs, I stalled, and couldn't figure out why. It's because what had been a deficit, no longer was with my 'smaller body,' so I had to restrict calories even more. I had already dropped to 1200, and wasn't losing, so that's when I realized I needed to eat no more than 1000.

If a calculator works for you, then try it. I'd choose the maintenance number for my UD, although you can go safely even a little lower if you plan to eventually maintain on JUDDD.

One of the sad principles is that once you get to goal, you can't eat very much more to maintain at that weight, so you want to be losing at a caloric level that's 'comfortable' for you.

Very helpful and insightful post. Thanks. This WL trip is a constant learning experience. Just glad I've been going in the right direction for sure!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #2734
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jenny: I want to respond to your excellent questions:

But I thought the SIRT1 gene activation, not just calorie restriction, was also responsible for weight loss and other health benefits?
And that the activation is accomplished by a combination of fasting and eating sufficient calories (ad lib in animal studies)?

First of all, the SIRT1 gene activation is accomplished (according to Dr. J) by those 2 weeks of no more than 500 cal DDs--period. That's the purpose of keeping the DDs to no more than 500 cal for the first 2 weeks at least. That is the only method for activating SIRT1, according to Dr. J's book.

He admits that the 'benefits' of this gene activation are largely unknown, but great health benefits are anticipated via research (he never mentions weight loss as a benefit of SIRT 1). The sole scientific study that was done reported improvements in asthma, which they cannot account for, but was clearly documented and verified. Calorie restriction is already known to provide health benefits.

Interestingly, several years ago, one of the women doing JUDDD had advanced emphysema. She didn't know anything about the asthma study, but after a month on JUDDD, she reported that she no longer needed her inhaler, and her doctor was amazed at her 'improvement,' something that could not be attributed simply to weight loss.

Finally, you commented about 'low UD calories' possibly causing a slowed metabolism. My UDs were always at least 1200 cal, nowhere near a number that would 'slow' my metabolism [although ALL weight loss results in some slower metabolism]. That's the purpose of doing only single DDs. According to Dr. J, the body won't respond to very low calories for at least 36 hours, usually closer to 48. By keeping our DDs to 24 hrs, our bodies never 'notice' the low calorie days.

By the way, since I have a dysfunctional metabolism, my endo suggested to things to try to keep it revved--regular exercise and caffeine. I drink black coffee all morning and green tea all afternoon. And the caffeine doesn't bother me at all; in fact, that tea and coffee has really helped with appetite control.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #2735
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/157/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
I just want to say that it's wonderful to be able to enjoy reading this very interesting thread and not see it degenerate into egotism and flaming. Thanks to all who are contributing for your respectful discussions. We can share information rather than try to prove who's "right" and who's "wrong." Very refreshing!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #2736
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Don't know if this will help but here goes for what it's worth. I have heard and read that for gradual weight loss, multiply your goal weight by 10 and that's the # of calories you should average per day. For maintenance, multiply by 12.
Ok, so taking the average of my UD and DDs (1800 + 500 ÷ 2) I get 1150. My weight loss number is 1050 and maintenance is 1260. I'm somewhere in between, so that makes sense for why it's working for me. Very interesting. Thanks for that, Yam-Yam! I was pretty much just winging it when I found out through trial and error on a number that worked.

Ooh, just realized that means I can theoretically up my calories by a decent amount when in maintenance!

Last edited by vilanteira; 12-30-2011 at 02:49 PM..
Old 12-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #2737
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Just posting to try and stay focused.

My mom is still in the hospital and needs close monitoring. I had a great DD yesterday and good UP today. I planned all my meals and that seemed to have helped. No cafeteria food. I am hoping for another DD tomarrow.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #2738
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Jodi, I'm hoping your mom will improve quickly. I applaud you for not allowing this to totally derail your JUDDD program. You're smart to plan!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #2739
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is an interesting quote. I googled SIRT1 gene to learn more about it and up pops Dr. Johnson with a website on resveritol and how 200mg per day can stimulate SIRT1:

"When the SIRT1 gene is activated, it produces proteins that protect cells from inflammation and oxidative stress, two of the primary causes of premature aging and many degenerative diseases. Almost all organisms have a gene that is equivalent to SIRT1. The gene is a defense mechanism, activated by low calorie consumption, that gives cells an extra level of protection during periods of time when they need it the most. The gene is believed to have a profound affect on lifespan, as studies have shown that animals on calorie-restricted diets live, on average, as much as 40 percent longer than those whose calories are not limited.

Several studies since 2003 have shown that resveratrol can mimic many of the positive effects of calorie restriction. High SIRT1 levels appear to be the key to slowing the aging process and living a healthier life, and calorie restriction and resveratrol are the two primary SIRT1 activators. "

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #2740
Blabbermouth!!!

Jodi: Good job on the planning. Hope your Mom improves quickly.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #2741
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcestis View Post
I just want to say that it's wonderful to be able to enjoy reading this very interesting thread and not see it degenerate into egotism and flaming. Thanks to all who are contributing for your respectful discussions. We can share information rather than try to prove who's "right" and who's "wrong." Very refreshing!
Ditto that!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #2742
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post

My mom is still in the hospital and needs close monitoring. I had a great DD yesterday and good UP today. I planned all my meals and that seemed to have helped. No cafeteria food. I am hoping for another DD tomarrow.
hoping your Mom heals soon and all is well!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #2743
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Thinking of you Jodi and I am so impressed that you are sticking to your plan.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #2744
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Ok, so taking the average of my UD and DDs (1800 + 500 ÷ 2) I get 1150. My weight loss number is 1050 and maintenance is 1260. I'm somewhere in between, so that makes sense for why it's working for me. Very interesting. Thanks for that, Yam-Yam! I was pretty much just winging it when I found out through trial and error on a number that worked.

Ooh, just realized that means I can theoretically up my calories by a decent amount when in maintenance
!
This is exactly what I had to do to STOP losing weight! I have upped my calories on both DD and UD and it is keeping me at my goal weight. Any lower and I continue to lose. I don't have any medical issues like others here so maybe this is why I have not had any problems doing the plan just as recommended by the book and the JUDDD site and having it work so well for me. And I still believe in the "gap" theory, at least in how it worked for me.

Quote:

My mom is still in the hospital and needs close monitoring. I had a great DD yesterday and good UP today. I planned all my meals and that seemed to have helped. No cafeteria food. I am hoping for another DD tomorrow.
I am so impressed and see your post as such a great inspiration for those of us that would just throw in the JUDDD towel if having your stress right now! WTG, JKat and that Mom is feeling better in no time!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 12-30-2011 at 05:47 PM..
Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #2745
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Quote:

JKat, am sending out good vibes for your mom and that all is well very soon!!

Kudos to you for keeping on plan!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:35 AM   #2746
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I have gone off plan a few too many times the last 2 weeks or so so of cource my weight is up a little. I am not realy worried about my weight being up 5 lbs I feel that
is mostly watter but my blood sugar is up a little to. So I am trying to get back in the
swing of things with a good DD. Besides this will let me start the new year with a good
guilt free UD. Wishing us all a happy new year and Dr. visits where we hear " you have
lost weight" :-)
Old 12-31-2011, 05:16 AM   #2747
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
I am back down and took off all my very up day gains plus a tiny bit more, so i am happy to be back in the losing streak.

I have been weighing daily and tracking calories, etc in a spreadsheet so I can see patterns. This has helped me determine my best calorie goals, I highly suggest that for anyone. It doesn't have to be a spreadsheet but even just on a paper and pen.

I did this from the beginning because I was testing out high calories low calories, mid calories on UD's as well as trying out low carb, low sugar, etc trying to find out what combination works for my body.

What I have found that for ME DD's of 500-700 and UD's of 1500-1700 are the most effective with a moderate mix of carbs. Nice balanced meals of moderate carbs, veggies and protein as well as not to much sugar as sugar tends to send me into eating binges. I have had treats here and there but have learned to keep them at the end of the night so that I dont get set off.

Everyone needs to figure out what works for them. On 1500-1700 calories I either maintain my weight or lose a tiny bit like .2 from my UD's. When I do more then that I typically gain .6 to .8 and have gone up as much as 2 lbs. Which sometimes results in bigger drops on DD's but finding that right number on UD's where I maintain has resulted in faster losses.

I hope this helps others out there. The key for me has been tracking, tracking, tracking. I do not put it in my mouth if I have not logged it first, period! End of sentence. I can not trust my instinct, or guess or eyeball it, years have doing that has led to me reaching over 100 lbs overweight.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #2748
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I am up 0.8 this morning after a pretty good DD yesterday, under 475. I normally keep DDs to around 400 or less, but I was hungry yesterday. Other than Christmas day, I've stuck to my UD/DD guidelines so I'm not too happy that I've gained. Especially since I'm going out of town for the next few days and won't be able to be as diligent, though I'm going to try!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:18 AM   #2749
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Hello!!

I have some catching up to do..Hope you all are enjoying the Holidays.

Being away from home made it hard to stick to my clean eating. But I did my best.

I feel like I need a detox.
And I started my new meds!!! I felt the difference within 20 minutes!!!
The energy I have been missing all these years was back. Only problem is, is that it wears off in about 6 hours and I feel like I'll need a bit more in the afternoon so I don't crash. Not sure if the Dr. will agree..we'll see!

I'm going to go primal for the first few weeks..and possibly add JUDDD back in(if needed!)
I want to be gentle on my body as I adjust to this new medicine.

I will keep JUDDD in my back pocket..maybe doing 1 DD a week at first? Not sure.

I'd still like to keep up with all of you though!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:31 AM   #2750
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Betty. I'm glad to hear that your new meds are making a difference in the way you feel. When I started Armour, I could definitely tell that I felt much more energetic. I rarely crash in the afternoons anymore like I used to. You might ask your doctor if you can split your dose between the morning and early afternoon to keep the level of med more steady. That was the advice I got from nonstickpam (who is the resident thyroid guru here at LCF).

Whatever eating plan you follow, I'm sure you'll do well. Hang out with us when you can.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 AM   #2751
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Thanks!!
Today is only the second day.

I tried splitting my pill but it's so small all it did was crumble. I'm on just the 1 grain.

Although the Dr prescribes Armour he is still very textbook(goes by tsh, etc)

I'm saving up for an out of pocket doc who has a clue!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #2752
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: avecrain
Stats: 240/197/160 (5'10, age 22)
WOE: juddd; DD 500 / UD 2400
Start Date: september 5, 2011
Haven't posted on this thread in a while--daily weigher is keeping me busy. But just wanted to share that I hit a new low of 200.2 this morning. SOOO CLOSE to the 100s. Hurray!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:44 AM   #2753
Major LCF Poster!

Yep, those little pills are hard to split. It's probably too soon to tell how you're going to feel, amyway, and as time goes on, perhaps you'll feel better. I think it can take a couple of weeks, or even more, for the meds to build up in your system and your numbers to stabilize. I hope you're successful in finding a doc that pays attention to ALL the relevant lab values, so that you can be properly medicated, but it sounds like you've at least gotten a start. I hope it gets better and better.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #2754
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Betty- Laurie is right, Betty. Your Armour is a combination of all the thyroid hormones, and it's probably the low amount of T3 (which has an instant effect) that you're feeling right now.

It takes the T4 much longer to take hold in the system (4-6 weeks) and for you to feel its effects. In fact, when I began with T4 only (Levoxyl), its effects were so gradual that I hardly noticed until I finally realized that my symptoms were gone.

So even though this is only a small amount, you're really not getting the full effect yet. Nevertheless, as I mentioned on the thyroid board, you need a doctor who doesn't rely solely on the TSH.

Do you have a local pharmacist (small shop rather than big chain?). I ask because a pharmacist is a great way to find a good thyroid doctor. For example, you can ask if he or she knows a doctor who prescribes Cytomel because anyone who prescribes that is testing T3 and also using the latest protocol for treating thyroid.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #2755
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
I am back down and took off all my very up day gains plus a tiny bit more, so i am happy to be back in the losing streak.

I have been weighing daily and tracking calories, etc in a spreadsheet so I can see patterns. This has helped me determine my best calorie goals, I highly suggest that for anyone. It doesn't have to be a spreadsheet but even just on a paper and pen.

I did this from the beginning because I was testing out high calories low calories, mid calories on UD's as well as trying out low carb, low sugar, etc trying to find out what combination works for my body.

What I have found that for ME DD's of 500-700 and UD's of 1500-1700 are the most effective with a moderate mix of carbs. Nice balanced meals of moderate carbs, veggies and protein as well as not to much sugar as sugar tends to send me into eating binges. I have had treats here and there but have learned to keep them at the end of the night so that I dont get set off.

Everyone needs to figure out what works for them. On 1500-1700 calories I either maintain my weight or lose a tiny bit like .2 from my UD's. When I do more then that I typically gain .6 to .8 and have gone up as much as 2 lbs. Which sometimes results in bigger drops on DD's but finding that right number on UD's where I maintain has resulted in faster losses.

I hope this helps others out there. The key for me has been tracking, tracking, tracking. I do not put it in my mouth if I have not logged it first, period! End of sentence. I can not trust my instinct, or guess or eyeball it, years have doing that has led to me reaching over 100 lbs overweight.
Maybe not what is "recommended" (guess I need to watch my wording from now on) but this is what worked for me, also.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #2756
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Quote:
Originally Posted by avecrain View Post
Haven't posted on this thread in a while--daily weigher is keeping me busy. But just wanted to share that I hit a new low of 200.2 this morning. SOOO CLOSE to the 100s. Hurray!
woohoo! i hit that about a week or so ago and kept popping in and out but seem to have stuck below. it is such a nice feeling. can't wait to see you join me, should be any day now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
Hello!!

I have some catching up to do..Hope you all are enjoying the Holidays.

Being away from home made it hard to stick to my clean eating. But I did my best.

I feel like I need a detox.
And I started my new meds!!! I felt the difference within 20 minutes!!!
The energy I have been missing all these years was back. Only problem is, is that it wears off in about 6 hours and I feel like I'll need a bit more in the afternoon so I don't crash. Not sure if the Dr. will agree..we'll see!

I'm going to go primal for the first few weeks..and possibly add JUDDD back in(if needed!)
I want to be gentle on my body as I adjust to this new medicine.

I will keep JUDDD in my back pocket..maybe doing 1 DD a week at first? Not sure.

I'd still like to keep up with all of you though!
welcome back betty! glad you are getting the help you need, can't wait to hear it only getting better and better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Maybe not what is "recommended" (guess I need to watch my wording from now on) but this is what worked for me, also.
i think that is the key, finding what works for you. we are all so different, and there are many different ways to lose the weight and we need to find what works best, and what is going to be the most maintainable for each of us.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #2757
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Just done my official end of week 3 weigh-in: I've gained 0.3kg since my week 2 weigh-in (which was approximately the same as the weigh-in at the end of week 1).

I haven't fully decided what I'm going to do. I understand the thinking that underlies some of the recommendations that I should increase the UD calories. However, I also think that my BMR is very low because I was inactive following an accident that it's taken me a while to recover from and that I possibly need a very low intake in order to facilitate further weight loss.

It took from the close of June to December to lose a tiny amount of weight, 200-300g at a time. I switched to JUDDD after I'd only broken my stall by eating approx. 700cals per day for a week: I thought that if nothing else, JUDDD would be an easier way to do that if necessary. However, I seem to have stalled again (or am actually gaining weight although that might be related to other factors).
Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #2758
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mississippimom21
WOE: lc
Start Date: 12/27
I'm new here, just checking things out, maybe someone can give me some advice? I went to the JUDDD site and put in my weight/height and it said that my dd calories was 461 and my normal was 1844.

so, does that mean that I should eat 461 calories or less every other day, and no more than 1844 the other days? I'm trying to figure this out!
also, I on one of the sites that keeps up your calorie intake and it is telling me that I need 2000 calories a day (going by my weight/height) what is the deal?

I would also like to incorporate lc with this woe, but how do I do that?

any help/advice is very much appreciated!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #2759
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I am up 0.8 this morning after a pretty good DD yesterday, under 475. I normally keep DDs to around 400 or less, but I was hungry yesterday. Other than Christmas day, I've stuck to my UD/DD guidelines so I'm not too happy that I've gained. Especially since I'm going out of town for the next few days and won't be able to be as diligent, though I'm going to try!
sure it's just a blip!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #2760
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Hi MississippiMom - I know it's a pain - but there's lots of advice in the threads. But yes, you have the basic principles right. Perhaps in the first 2 weeks you can do 500 on DD - some people do a little more to start - till they're used to it!

UD calories are a guide - it seems that this should be the upper limit - but some people do okay on a little less or a little more.

Good luck!
Closed Thread