Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #2701
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
Didn't the city seem like a madhouse last night?!?! I didn't even do my walk to port authority from my office b/c there were SO many people! Thank god for the subway though!!
This time of year is there, as you know! We actually parked in Jersey City and took the Path in, then got a taxi to where we were going. The restaurant was amazing, brand new called The Smith on 1st ave between E51st and E52nd streets! Great food and GREAT prices, I was so surprised and the place was packed! Thank God for reservations, there would have been an hour and 1/2 wait otherwise!

Last edited by Beeb; 12-29-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #2702
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
WTG, Yam-Yam and Knittering! Yam-Yam, your numbers are making me feel like maybe my scale's not broken after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I'm surprised and delighted my son still wants to hang out with me! He's 17!!!
He used to hang out with me because he stayed home a lot, but now he has lots of friends and we still get along great!
-------------
I am so frustrated today!
The last few times I have meant to do a DD, I wake up starving...
last night I decided I'd do an UD today, in spite of not really having a great DD yesterday, and woke up not hungry at all!
And I don't think it's psychological--on my DDs sometimes I'm physically hungry even though I'm not craving any particular food or in the mood to eat.
Wow! 17! I can't even stand the thought of letting mine walk to the corner store by himself. I was looking at pictures last night and mourning the loss of his three-year-old-ness. At the same time, I think it will be so cool to see how he grows and changes. Sigh...

I'm sorry you had a hard DD yesterday. I don't know if other people work this way, but I've found that I do a little better if I'm not too hungry when I eat. So, I might try making myself wait 45 minutes before deciding whether and how much to eat. But my hunger pangs don't ever seem to last too long and I can wait them out usually. When I have tried this kind of strategy it's worked for me, but it's not always easy to do, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Dinner last night was amazing in NYC, crispy potato chips with blue cheese fondue dressing, fried chicken and potato waffles dipped in ranch dressing but I didn't overeat and had a great time with my friends! Weight is down to the normal after UD weight so I think it's safe to say that all my Christmas weight is gone!

I just love how a good DD will take away 4 days of sinfully delicious eating! GOTTA LOVE JUDDD!
That sounds like a really yummy meal! I am so jealous that you and Katie are in NYC. I love it there!

--------------------------

So I woke up to a great weigh-in again -- another 1.2 down to 186.2. That's 5.8 pounds in 3 days!

I woke up this morning to a blood sugar of 50, which is kind of a bummer. Last night I knew I was in danger of waking up low because when I went to bed my b/s was just perfect, so I had no buffer. So, I debated whether I should have a couple of bites of something (2 bites in the pm is so much better than waking up low and out of control and eating everything in sight, which is how it often goes), but I couldn't stand the thought of it at the end of my solid DD. So, I did half of my nighttime long-lasting insulin hoping that would help, but apparently not. It was a good experiment, though. Next time, I'll have to have just a couple of bites of apple or something before bed.

So, I actually didn't do too much damage treating my low -- ate more calories and earlier than I would have otherwise, but not terrible. I think I had 550 calories between my b'fast and cream in my coffee, and I'm going to save the lion's share of what's left for a big low carb evening meal.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 12-29-2011 at 10:51 AM..
Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #2703
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I'm doing regular JUDDD for a few days this week, and today is another DD (I've decided to do 2 regular DD each week).

I weighed 141# this morning, so up a couple # after barely eeking out a 1,600 calorie UD yesterday. I wasn't all that hungry. I'm noticing this effect more since going back to more whole foods & fats, sort of a low-ish carb woe, although I'm not counting carbs. Just trying to do less processed, more healthy fats and proteins at least 75% of the time.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #2704
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I'm still working on getting back down to my pre Christmas day. Hopefully my DD tomorrow will take care of it.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #2705
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
114 this morning after an UD. I'm happy with that. I'm having a good DD today because I think I'll be having two free days Friday and Saturday. Friday is a benefit party for work and Saturday is New Year's Eve! I love how JUDDD allows me to do this and maintain my weight.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #2706
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: caramel
Stats: 156.5/146.8/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 11/25/11
Has anyone of you been to a place called Bex bar and grill? This is my SS last day visiting with us and we want to take him there. I've been there before and found the food delicious and the atmosphere fun. However, I've been searching for nutritional info and can't find it. Today is an UD for me and I still have 1000 calories to play with for dinner. When I went before I had the blackened salmon and parmesean fries() but I didn't know the calories.

I'm up 2 pounds from my siggy and I want to get the Christmas weight off and beyond. The great thing about this woe is with all the festivities of this season I have been able to have outrageous FD where I've gained 2 pounds and a good DD where it has come off. This has gone on all December, now it time to get serious.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #2707

OK, I'm .2 pounds away from my high end goal weight (134) this morning after another good DD and that is a great thing!! Today is a MD to set the rotation for an UD tomorrow (I will be SO when I have no more MDs that I have to use to set things right ) and I'm keeping it on the low side of middle so I don't undo the good I have done with the last 2 DDs AND so I can eat (and drink )) tomorrow night like I want to.

I just JUDDD! On what other WOE/Diet can we switch things around like I have done this week (3 MDs ) and still be at my goal weight, especially with the FDs I had during the Christmas weekend?!

NO other WOE let's us do this, I tell you! NO other!!!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #2708
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
That must feel so great to say, Linda!

I had a good up day yesterday, came in just a little below my 1880 and I was a more low carb that my first up day was. It's really easy to choose low calorie over low carb when trying to divvy up the food for the day. I'm trying to find a bit of a balance, so I'm allowing in the astronomically high 18 g per serving very low cal homemade and yummy vegetable soup, but absolutely no grains or starchy veg.

I was up .4 pounds to 186.6 today after an UD, so I think that's still pretty good right? And I noticed that I have caught back up to the numbers in my siggy. I hate pushing them back up and when I got to 192 I thought I'd just give myself a few days to catch up. And here I am!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #2709
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Jayne: That looks good to me and congrats on getting back down so quickly.

Linda: You are doing great.

Yesterday was another UD for me and the scale is back up 2 pounds. Yesterday it was down 3 after a DD. Not sure I can get used to the bouncing scale. I might try 2 DDs in a row, today and tomorrow and see what happens.

We have some social events to attend this weekend, but I think I can choose well and stick with my plan. If I don't make it back here during the weekend, I'll check in on Monday and let you all know what's happening with my bouncy scale!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 12-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #2710
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post

Yesterday was another UD for me and the scale is back up 2 pounds. Yesterday it was down 3 after a DD. Not sure I can get used to the bouncing scale.
It's water. It's from the foods consumed on UD which contain carbs, sodium, and other substances and it's NORMAL. It's your body processing food and drink and maintaining the systems inside you for your life and well-being. Your weight will bounce greatly with UD and DDs, and it takes some getting used to on JUDDD when you have come from other woe that did not produce such bounces. These bounces are natural and normal. Since they can be unsettling though, some people choose to weigh only after DD or only 1 x week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
I might try 2 DDs in a row, today and tomorrow and see what happens.
NOOOO-OOO-OOOO-!!! *yelled in slow motion with a long, drawn out, distorted bass sound*

MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #2711
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
NOOOO-OOO-OOOO-!!! *yelled in slow motion with a long, drawn out, distorted bass sound*

Ditto!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #2712
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm a tad dispirited (as I mentioned on another thread and it was suggested that I ought to post my woe elsewhere to see what advice there might be).

After an initial 3lb loss after my first week on JUDDD, the scale's been bouncing up by 3-4 lbs or approximately stalling since.

My DDs have been 300-350cals and my UDs are typically 1200cals or thereabouts (I'm approx 5ft 4, post-menopausal and sedentary: the JUDDD calculators estimate DDs at 320cals & UDs at 1600cals - I opted for a slightly lower UD because I'd already been low carb and calorie restricted before starting JUDDD).

Although the scales have been bouncing (mostly up), it was noticeable last week that some of my clothing was looser which was some consolation. However, I seem to be expanding again albeit this is probably/possibly related to the chronic constipation that is unrelieved by eating shirataki noodles and taking additional psyllium/glucomannan. (I had 2 days of approx. 900/1000 cals this week because I was avoiding a DD for a friend's birthday: I followed those days with a DD, so DD/MD/MD/DD.)

My next 'official' weigh-in is Sunday by which time I will have been following JUDDD for 3 weeks. If I've stalled again or gained, it feels that I'll ought to consider lowering my calories further on both DDs and UDs and seeing if that works: but that would mean DDs of approx. 200 cals and UDs of approx 1000 cals. I'm quite apprehensive of what such low numbers would mean with respect to future weight loss and weight maintenance.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #2713
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm a tad dispirited (as I mentioned on another thread and it was suggested that I ought to post my woe elsewhere to see what advice there might be).

After an initial 3lb loss after my first week on JUDDD, the scale's been bouncing up by 3-4 lbs or approximately stalling since.

My DDs have been 300-350cals and my UDs are typically 1200cals or thereabouts (I'm approx 5ft 4, post-menopausal and sedentary: the JUDDD calculators estimate DDs at 320cals & UDs at 1600cals - I opted for a slightly lower UD because I'd already been low carb and calorie restricted before starting JUDDD).

Although the scales have been bouncing (mostly up), it was noticeable last week that some of my clothing was looser which was some consolation. However, I seem to be expanding again albeit this is probably/possibly related to the chronic constipation that is unrelieved by eating shirataki noodles and taking additional psyllium/glucomannan. (I had 2 days of approx. 900/1000 cals this week because I was avoiding a DD for a friend's birthday: I followed those days with a DD, so DD/MD/MD/DD.)

My next 'official' weigh-in is Sunday by which time I will have been following JUDDD for 3 weeks. If I've stalled again or gained, it feels that I'll ought to consider lowering my calories further on both DDs and UDs and seeing if that works: but that would mean DDs of approx. 200 cals and UDs of approx 1000 cals. I'm quite apprehensive of what such low numbers would mean with respect to future weight loss and weight maintenance.
I have a feeling people will tell you that you are not eating enough on your UD's. Juddd works with large swings in calories. If you go to 200 calorie DD and 1000 calorie UD's you will only be eating 600 calories a day average.

Have you read his book? I think it is worth the time to try and find it and read it.

Good luck. I know others will have more thoughts on this.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #2714
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Quote:

I so wish I had some insight for you, but the sentence in the last paragraph did stand out to me and I would be hesitant about those numbers, also for long term maintenance.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some more concrete advice.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #2715

Quote:

AGREE 1,000,000,000% Don't do it! We need those UDs to make the DDs better and to let JUDDD work it's magic!! Less is NOT good on this WOE, and many will tell you the same thing I'm saying.

DON'T DO IT!!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #2716

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I have a feeling people will tell you that you are not eating enough on your UD's. Juddd works with large swings in calories. If you go to 200 calorie DD and 1000 calorie UD's you will only be eating 600 calories a day average.

Have you read his book? I think it is worth the time to try and find it and read it.

Good luck. I know others will have more thoughts on this.
LESS is NOT more on JUDDD! And yes, I'm suggesting you DON'T do this! PLEASE try this WOE for at least 2 weeks or even 4 weeks AS SUGGESTED by Dr. J. It really does work WHEN you work it as it is meant to be done!! I also think you may not be eating enough on either day. I started at 700 DD and 1645 UDs, sedentary, post-menopause, 53 and 5'5.5", and lost like it was butter melting on a hot skillet! We can really screw up the magic of JUDDD by NOT doing what is suggested and recommended. Plus, from what I see of your rotation (DD/MD/MD/DD) you are not giving the UD/DD rotation a chance. Yes, I understand about the event that had you do this, but you should have included an UD somewhere in that rotation. You are not eating at the "magic" calorie gap, from what you have posted for your UD and DD cals (bold in your quote above) that makes JUDDD work and believe me, that gap is VERY important! It's the JUDDD science, and like any science, the basic recipe needs to be done to make the experiment work as it should.

Just my thoughts, nothing more. I just really get when I see others being frustrated and disheartened by a WOE that I KNOW works like "magic" if done as recommended, at least for the first 2 to 4 weeks, in the beginning. Do the plan and it will work for you. Tweak later, but at least give JUDDD a fighting chance to show you what it can do!

Last edited by Beeb; 12-30-2011 at 11:46 AM..
Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #2717
Blabbermouth!!!

Slowsure, I get the feeling you are not eating enough calories. Your DD can be as low as you want, but there is no harm in higher DD, like 500 - 700 if you need it. But it's those UD numbers that seem most troubling, but we don't know your height. Personal feeling is, you are eating too little. You may need a wider swing between calories on UD/DD.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #2718
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
I'm a tad dispirited....

I am sorry you are feeling dispirited...I totally understand and sympathize!

Have you tried the recommended 1600 calories yet?
I don't feel like I have enough success under my belt (belt? what's that?! ) to advise, and you know your body better than anyone, but it does sound as if you aren't eating enough on your UDs. Your body may be interpreting this new WOE (especially with that DD/MD/MD/DD rotation) as calorie restriction rather than calorie cycling, and therefore holding on to weight instead of releasing it.

So many people report a stupendous loss after a day or two of "being bad" and overeating, when they fully expected to gain a few pounds! Have you had a really good, generous Up Day since those 4 DD/MDs?

I think addressing your constipation issue might get rid of a few pounds and some of the bloating...
That's another benefit of a good UD, in my experience; digestion seems to slow down a bit on DDs and the "extra" food on Up Days seems to push everything from both days through...sorry for being gross!

Psyllium and other fibers, especially insoluble ones, can actually cause or exacerbate constipation because they absorb so much water; if one hasn't drunk enough fluids, the fiber causes the stool to become hard.

When I get into this situation, I find that magnesium citrate like Natural Calm or even Epsom salts (mag. sulfate) will help.
It's a bit uncomfortable (magnesium can cause some cramping/diarrhea for me)
but it draws water into the intestines while other laxatives merely cause muscle spasms.

Do you take probiotics or eat fermented foods (like yogurt, kimchee, miso, etc) regularly? They can help so much with digestion and bloating, especially if you have taken antibiotics recently.

Again, sorry you are feeling discouraged and I hope things get better soon!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-30-2011 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #2719
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Happy to report - that although I haven't weighed since the 10th of December - I am 3.8lbs less than I was then!!!! Not bad after Christmas
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #2720
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
SlowSure, I agree with the others that you may not be eating ENOUGH. I hope you'll give the higher calories a whirl. The big gap between the DD and UD numbers does seem to be important.

I'm happy to report that I'd gotten back to goal yesterday, after a DD, and then after my UD yesterday, I only bounced back up .4 pound! I'm getting the hang of this. I still have giant swings when I have an Up, Up, and Away Day (or a "crazy" day, as I've been calling it), but it always comes back down. Yay for JUDDD!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
Old 12-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #2721
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
we don't know your height. Personal feeling is, you are eating too little. You may need a wider swing between calories on UD/DD.
I'm approx. 5ft 4inches.

I've been following JUDDD since December 11: I followed the UD/DD rotation until this week (so had tried it for >2 weeks, as above). I interpreted the book as saying the the 'suggested' calories were the upper-limit and that view was reinforced recently when I read Leo41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
apparently JUDDD doesn`t really work unless you really stick to it 100% and do eat the recommended amount on UDs...what are your thoughts?
This is a concept that seems to have crept into JUDDD recently--and is completely erroneous.

Way back when I began JUDDD 3 years ago, I was concerned about my UD calorie recommendation (as were some others) because I came to JUDDD due to my metabolic problems that require me to severely restrict calories. I knew I could not lose unless I did 400 cal DDs and no more than 1400 cal UDs, but the calculator recommendation for my UDs was much higher.

At that time, Dr. Johnson answered e-mail on his website...and I contacted him to ask about the UD number--which for me was much too high. He answered that the UD number was basically a 'limit' not a recommendation, and he probably should not have given a number at all because it is supposed to be about a person's 'maintenance level.'...

One loses on the average between DDs and UDs--i.e., the total calorie intake for the week, and it's the deficit that allows for loss.
I'd rather reduce my DD calories than reduce the UD calories further: if there is no substantial change on Sunday (3 weeks anniversary and next official weigh-in) then I might experiment with fewer DD cals for a week and then review again before adjusting the UD calories (either up or down).
Old 12-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #2722
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I thought people were suggesting that you should raise your UD calories, not lower them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
Happy to report - that although I haven't weighed since the 10th of December - I am 3.8lbs less than I was then!!!! Not bad after Christmas
Its like a miracle!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #2723
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I am sorry you are feeling dispirited...I totally understand and sympathize!

Have you tried the recommended 1600 calories yet?
I don't feel like I have enough success under my belt (belt? what's that?! ) to advise, and you know your body better than anyone, but it does sound as if you aren't eating enough on your UDs. Your body may be interpreting this new WOE (especially with that DD/MD/MD/DD rotation) as calorie restriction rather than calorie cycling, and therefore holding on to weight instead of than releasing it.

So many people report a stupendous loss after a day or two of "being bad" and overeating, when they fully expected to gain a few pounds! Have you had a really good, generous Up Day since those 4 DD/MDs?

I think addressing your constipation issue might get rid of a few pounds and some of the bloating...
That's another benefit of a good UD, in my experience; digestion seems to slow down a bit on DDs and the "extra" food on Up Days seems to push everything from both days through...sorry for being gross!

Psyllium and other fibers, especially insoluble ones, can actually cause or exacerbate constipation because they absorb so much water; if one hasn't drunk enough fluids, the fiber causes the stool to become hard.

When I get into this situation, I find that magnesium citrate like Natural Calm or even Epsom salts (mag. sulfate) will help.
It's a bit uncomfortable (magnesium can cause some cramping/diarrhea for me)
but it draws water into the intestines while other laxatives merely cause muscle spasms.

Do you take probiotics or eat fermented foods (like yogurt, kimchee, miso, etc) regularly? They can help so much with digestion and bloating, especially if you have taken antibiotics recently.

Again, sorry you are feeling discouraged and I hope things get better soon!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #2724
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
Vicky, that is so awesome!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #2725
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
I'm approx. 5ft 4inches.

I've been following JUDDD since December 11: I followed the UD/DD rotation until this week (so had tried it for >2 weeks, as above). I interpreted the book as saying the the 'suggested' calories were the upper-limit and that view was reinforced recently when I read Leo41.

I'd rather reduce my DD calories than reduce the UD calories further: if there is no substantial change on Sunday (3 weeks anniversary and next official weigh-in) then I might experiment with fewer DD cals for a week and then review again before adjusting the UD calories (either up or down).
Just my 2 cents, but I really do think it's very possible you're eating too little on UDs. As many have mentioned, a big part of the magic of JUDDD is that wide gap between the DD and UD calories. Plus, if the UD calories are too low in addition to our already low DD calories, then we may run the risk of this being more like a straightforward calorie-restricted diet where our metabolisms slow down to the point of stalling or even gaining. Making sure we eat up to our UD calories and that those calories are high enough to rev up our metabolisms every other day so it doesn't slow down due to fear of starvation is important.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #2726
Blabbermouth!!!

You peeps are just toooooooooooo cool!!!You!! Thanks for getting back to my post so quickly. I got the message and will not do the 2 consecutive DDs. I'm going to keep giving JUDD a shot and can hardly wait 'til the book arrives in the mail next week.

BTW: From the website, my DDs are supposed to be 496 and UDs 2496. I'm really counting on DDs and just estimating on UDs. Not going over the limit and not trying to keep it low either. I'm pretty expert at estimating portions and calories. Sort of a career calorie counter if you know what I mean.

Gotta say I do like how I look in my clothes. Nice flat belly.That counts for a lot.

I have a fat% body monitor scale and it continues to go down consistently. Love that, too!!! From highest fat% to lowest (today) I've gone down 8 % pts. That makes me-ly happy!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #2727
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm unsure where this 'myth' developed that the gap between DDs and UDs is important in JUDDD. This is calorie cycling, and it's the deficit created by the average between UDs and DDs that is responsible for loss.

When I began JUDDD at 250 lbs, my DD# was 435 cal, but I already knew (having stalled on low carb for almost a year) that I could not lose unless my daily calories were <1000. So I began with 1400 cal UDs, and later, when I was down to 180, and my DD # was 375, I frequently did 1200 cal UDs.

If your UD is basically your 'maintenance' level, the DDs create the deficit for loss. As I posted previously, Dr. J himself admits that the calculator # for UDs is more of a limit than a recommendation because people are different in the calorie level they need for loss.

I lost just about a pound a week, but steadily to goal. That's a good rate of loss for someone who is post-menopausal and hypothyroid.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #2728
Blabbermouth!!!

Leo: You are a JUDD expert. I have a question. Did you ever take BMR into consideration? My understanding is that Basil Metabolic Rate is the number of calories your body needs to function and maintain current weight if you do no exercise. I like to say if I'm lying around on the couch like a zucchini all day and not moving. (Which is never true for me).

Anyway, according to my body monitor scale, my BMR is 1650. Do you think that should be my UD limit? Considering what you just posted, I imagine you would say it's up to me and how quickly I want to lose, right?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #2729
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Yam Yam-

Because I have such a dysfunctional metabolism, I could not use any of those BMR calculators to determine caloric requirements. I had to figure it out by trial and error. In principle, if you're not losing or gaining, that's your maintenance level.

When I began at 340 lbs, I could only eat 1400 cal daily to lose. After I lost my first 60-70 lbs, I stalled, and couldn't figure out why. It's because what had been a deficit, no longer was with my 'smaller body,' so I had to restrict calories even more. I had already dropped to 1200, and wasn't losing, so that's when I realized I needed to eat no more than 1000.

If a calculator works for you, then try it. I'd choose the maintenance number for my UD, although you can go safely even a little lower if you plan to eventually maintain on JUDDD.

One of the sad principles is that once you get to goal, you can't eat very much more to maintain at that weight, so you want to be losing at a caloric level that's 'comfortable' for you.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #2730
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I'm unsure where this 'myth' developed that the gap between DDs and UDs is important in JUDDD. This is calorie cycling, and it's the deficit created by the average between UDs and DDs that is responsible for loss.

When I began JUDDD at 250 lbs, my DD# was 435 cal, but I already knew (having stalled on low carb for almost a year) that I could not lose unless my daily calories were <1000. So I began with 1400 cal UDs, and later, when I was down to 180, and my DD # was 375, I frequently did 1200 cal UDs.

If your UD is basically your 'maintenance' level, the DDs create the deficit for loss. As I posted previously, Dr. J himself admits that the calculator # for UDs is more of a limit than a recommendation because people are different in the calorie level they need for loss.

I lost just about a pound a week, but steadily to goal. That's a good rate of loss for someone who is post-menopausal and hypothyroid.
The problem is how do we know exactly what our maintenance calories are if we're one of those people who have never counted calories in our entire lives? I was one of them. I really had no clue how many calories I ate for any given day either while low carbing or before that. So I started out around 1500-1600 for my UD calories, and actually stalled until I read all the helpful suggestions about the wide gap between the UD and DD calories and revving up our metabolisms and making sure to eat up to as high of your UD calories as possible. Then I upped to around 1800 for UDs, and finally started to lose (have lost 10 lbs since then). I've also noticed that every time I dip too low for UDs, my loss slows or stalls, and going above from time to time hasn't slowed down the loss. Yes, I realize everyone's physiology is different and there are too many factors to consider, but just wanted to toss out my personal experience.
Closed Thread