Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #811
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Is there an ongoing thread where we talk about recipes?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #812
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I'm pretty much back up to where I started when I began JUDDD on Oct. 12 - 150# Well, that's what the scale said with my clothes on, and it's probably close enough...

Knowing what i know now and feeling more confident about how much and what to eat, I am positive I'll lose again soon. The only difficulty is today is my planned UD and there are TWO family get-togethers with lots of foods that will hard to track with ******. You know, when people bring casseroles and all these other dishes that are hard to figure. I will just try to take small portions (eyeball 1/4 or 1/2 cup of what I take) and log it in later best I can.
Hi, Sophie. Glad you're about where you started (and probably a smidge less if you weighed with clothing on) and more in tune with what calorie numbers are good ones for you at this point, and what foods work for you, or don't so well. Knowledge is power! And when we use it, that can result in some nice weight loss for us!

When I eat away and the menu is a lot of casseroles or dishes I don't know much about, etc. I just do what you are thinking.. take a smallish helping, and when I get home I enter it as 1/2 C chicken casserole, and accept whatever calories ****** thinks that might be! LOL

Have fun at your family gatherings today though. If it's an UD, enjoy it. Do the best you can with the food choices, and the calories are just going to fall where they fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
I haven't told him. When it starts working, or he notices that I've lost weight, I will tell him. He eats low carb as well, so he doesn't notice that I'm eating veggie soup for lunch, or grilled chicken and salad for dinner. That's normal food for us.

MD is a medium day. I'm pretty sure it's not officially part of the diet, but people around here use it to adjust the up/down cycle. I've read about it here and there in threads. And I need to use it on Sundays to keep my schedule.
Do you feel better today, Speck? Hope so!

Yes, the Medium Day isn't part of the original diet espoused by Dr. Johnson. I think it was Keven Trudeau who came up with that. But it's helpful to make use of sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I was thinking about doing an actual fasting type down day tomorrow. Just fat free chicken broth (swansons natural), maybe add some celery to it just for the texture lol. But keeping calories very very low.
Does anyone do that? For just 1 or 2 DD's a week?
I've done exactly that a few times, Dottie. It sure isn't a problem at all, and makes weight loss occur a bit faster too, of course. It's not a problem as far as JUDDD goes.

If I were to do it much, I'd make certain to increase my UD calories some though. Not getting in enough calories just seems to be a big signal that the environment is in a famine situation right now. And the last thing I've ever needed was my metabolism being slowed down in this huge effort to save me by conserving every little calorie that passed my lips!

I do believe in and appreciate the health benefits of calorie restriction! And weight loss being one of those benefits, I certainly appreciate that happening. But for me, getting my slowed down and sluggish metabolism to rise back up along with the high Up Day calories was the best thing of all! As far as being able to *eat* goes, that alone has been worth doing JUDDD for me.

So I'm really not into having calories any lower than they have to be all the time. Low or non-existent on DDs is completely good, but comparably high on UDs for me, for sure! The truth for me is that I worked hard to get my metabolism to rev up! I worked to eat ever higher calories to pound up on that ceiling on my UDs. It's paid off for me. I was always a bit leery of getting to where I wanted to maintain, and then finding that I had to eat at a real low calorie level forever in order to stay there. I didn't want that to happen to me if there was any way I could cause the end to work out any differently.

But, as to the actual fasting on DDs, it wasn't as pleasant for me as eating. And I wasn't too anxious over my rate of weight loss overall, so after doing it a few times, I don't do it very often anymore. It just keeps making me feel like I'm prepping for a colonoscopy. But I usually do pretty low DDs even now.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-23-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #813
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Thanks Pat. I thought I was out of the woods... but as it turns out, no. I feel OK, but clearly the bug has yet to be flushed.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict1000 View Post
I think the confidence in this area of the forum is infectious. Other people's confidence build my own.
I love this Forum too! I agree that it's infectious and fun, and it helps keep me on track with my own menus and eating choices and calorie levels.

And always fun to see folks successful and joyous at losing weight! Lots and lots of success here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
There's an ongoing recipe thread sticky at the top of the JUDDD page. And always some chit-chat going on when somebody starts a new thread about something they've made that turned out wonderfully. Then they'll post it in the permanent recipe thread too.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Thanks Pat. I thought I was out of the woods... but as it turns out, no. I feel OK, but clearly the bug has yet to be flushed.

Glad your gut is feeling better today though. Maybe tomorrow you'll be completely back to normal.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #816

Hi, Cathy!

How are you today?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #817
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I'd consider fasting on a DD but would save that if/when I stall.

As it is I go til 12-1pm til I eat and save my calories for later in the day.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #818
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I find your comment about believing you feared the feeling of hunger to be very interesting. Someone recently posted about that in the Main Lobby, declaring that they hated the very feeling of being hungry...

When I was a little kid so long ago, I remember we'd say, "Mama, I'm hunnnggggrrreeeyyy....." and the mamas would all say, "Well, supper will be in an hour! Go play!" and we just waited until suppertime. Or maybe we'd be given an apple to tide us over. But being hungry wasn't some horror to have to escape by stuffing something into our mouths fast.

But here's JUDDD, and after awhile, my feelings of appetite and hunger have moderated. JUDDD seems to have returned me to a more normal appetite response to food. No longer raging. No longer compulsive. No longer having to eat, eat, eat immediately in response to feeling a bit hungry. Big sigh of relief here.
SoHappy, in those "long ago" days, I imagine people were able to bear an hour or two of hunger because most of their food was much more wholesome (and homemade?) and their metabolisms weren't destroyed by constant junk food.

I think there is a difference between hunger in a person with a "normal" metabolism, or a keto-adapted one, and/or who has a very nutritious diet;
and a person with diabetes or insulin resistance, or who is running on carbohydrates and empty calories.

It's not just a matter of being spoiled, or having no will-power, or having food and reminders of food around us all the time. The latter category of people don't switch to burning fat very easily, and the hunger they experience is VERY painful and weakening. If they were forced to ride it out for a couple of hours, it might pass into a different, more bearable type of hunger. But when you're shaking, getting a headache, feeling confused, and wanting to scream at or slap anyone who talks to you--well, having a snack and cheating on your diet seems like a better option than crashing your car, losing your job, or getting arrested for assault!

While on LC, once I learned to not be afraid of FAT(!!!), I found hunger to be much, much more bearable. I often went periods of time being hungry for 3-5 hours just because I didn't have LC food available or I wasn't in the mood for anything in particular...I had food in the house, but literally didn't feel like putting it in my mouth!

So, I personally am not turning to JUDDD for help with hunger issues, although I understand it helps many with that. Eating LC with plenty of fat took care of that, and really re-trained my hunger and eating impulses. In fact, I am trying to be cautious of re-introducing carbs into my JUDDD plan because I do NOT want to experience that painful hunger...normal hunger I can deal with just fine!

Dr Kruse made an interesting point on his blog (I am paraphrasing and I hope not misquoting): when we go a few hours without ingesting food, our livers provide us with "snacks" (through burning fat or gluconeogenesis); when we eat every 2-3 hours (which so many "diets" recommend!!!), we become inefficient at burning fat.

Last edited by piratejenny; 10-23-2011 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #819
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Hi, Cathy!

How are you today?
Hi Pat!! I am fine hun, how about you?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #820
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Dottie....i routinely fast on my DD's i drink fluids all day then have a small 400-ish cal meal in the evening. i like the resting of my system that this gives me as well as the self control i am learning. sure, i get hungry, but it passes. i then eat above my BMR on my UD's. but by having these extremes then there is no room for question. it seems i have better focus if i have these extremes. today is a MD, but it's proving to difficult b/c i don't have the absolute of fasting or eating above BMR....am i making any sense? it's like on my MD i don't have enough guidelines that making wise choices is MUCH harder. sounds silly, i'm sure, but it seems this is what my brain needs to maintain control of food rather than the other way around.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #821
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
makes sense to me, Dazy!

It's crazy because DDs are actually easier for me.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #822
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Here are our 2 JUDDD recipe threads:

Down Days recipes ONLY

JUDDD: Down Day Menus and Recipes

HTH
Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #823

I miss you guys and please know I'm reading even though I'm not posting much! Trying to keep up with everyone is getting harder and harder with so many newbies here!

Down another .2 pounds today, but I'm not eating right at all, stress does this to me and hope to get back to my normal eating by midweek. I'm still doing DDs and UDs, but not counting and I KNOW I'm not eating enough on either day right now.

NOT a bit of worry, though. JUDDD is the one WOE that lets us go off the mark a bit when we have to, and then it let's us adjust when needed!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #824
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations, Joedi, on the goal weight...and even a little under!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1annewil View Post
I have had several bouts with plantar fasciitis and walking is out for now.
Hi, I had a very bad case of PF last year (worked in a store with concrete floors and stone tiles). I got rid of it with "rocker sole" shoes. I almost couldn't walk at all, but in these shoes you never "strike" your heel on the floor. So I was in much less pain immediately, and the PF was gone entirely within two weeks. Have you tried them?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
SoHappy, in those "long ago" days, I imagine people were able to bear an hour or two of hunger because most of their food was much more wholesome (and homemade?) and their metabolisms weren't destroyed by constant junk food.

I think there is a difference between hunger in a person with a "normal" metabolism, or a keto-adapted one, and/or who has a very nutritious diet;
and a person with diabetes or insulin resistance, or who is running on carbohydrates and empty calories.

It's not just a matter of being spoiled, or having no will-power, or having food and reminders of food around us all the time. The latter category of people don't switch to burning fat very easily, and the hunger they experience is VERY painful and weakening. If they were forced to ride it out for a couple of hours, it might pass into a different, more bearable type of hunger. But when you're shaking, getting a headache, feeling confused, and wanting to scream at or slap anyone who talks to you--well, having a snack and cheating on your diet seems like a better option than crashing your car, losing your job, or getting arrested for assault!

While on LC, once I learned to not be afraid of FAT(!!!), I found hunger to be much, much more bearable. I often went periods of time being hungry for 3-5 hours just because I didn't have LC food available or I wasn't in the mood for anything in particular...I had food in the house, but literally didn't feel like putting it in my mouth!

So, I personally am not turning to JUDDD for help with hunger issues, although I understand it helps many with that. Eating LC with plenty of fat took care of that, and really re-trained my hunger and eating impulses. In fact, I am trying to be cautious of re-introducing carbs into my JUDDD plan because I do NOT want to experience that painful hunger...normal hunger I can deal with just fine!

Dr Kruse made an interesting point on his blog (I am paraphrasing and I hope not misquoting): when we go a few hours without ingesting food, our livers provide us with "snacks" (through burning fat or gluconeogenesis); when we eat every 2-3 hours (which so many "diets" recommend!!!), we become inefficient at burning fat.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you here. Lots of us here have been broken over the years, some a bit more genetically, and a lot of us by foods that should have never been developed and marketed to us.

But hopefully everyone with any problem issue at all with undue hunger with find it as normalizing as I did. It's made all the difference in the world for me. Now I'm always saying, Thank You, JUDDD! It returned a semblance of normality to me!

ETA: I liked this: Dr Kruse made an interesting point on his blog (I am paraphrasing and I hope not misquoting): when we go a few hours without ingesting food, our livers provide us with "snacks" (through burning fat or gluconeogenesis); when we eat every 2-3 hours (which so many "diets" recommend!!!), we become inefficient at burning fat.

Thanks for posting that.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-23-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #826

Quote:

Hi, I had a very bad case of PF last year (worked in a store with concrete floors and stone tiles). I got rid of it with "rocker sole" shoes. I almost couldn't walk at all, but in these shoes you never "strike" your heel on the floor. So I was in much less pain immediately, and the PF was gone entirely within two weeks. Have you tried them?
That's very interesting. DH was given an exercise to do that involves keeping the foot flat on the floor, but leaning forward against a wall or counter in such a way as to stretch out the back of the calf and that *cord* that runs down and over the heel beneath the foot. Sounds like those rocker shoes help with a little of the rocking stretching?

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-23-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #827

Quote:

This is VERY interesting to me! I have the Sketchers "rocker sole" shoes and they hurt my feet terrible but maybe I should try them for my PF, that is SO bad right now I can't walk either. Thanks for the idea! How often did you where them in those 2 weeks?

Last edited by Beeb; 10-23-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #828
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
I was wondering how your signigficant others think of eating this way?

I've been on extreme diets before where basically everyday was a DD and made eating with my family next to impossible

Which is why I really like this WOE. Today will be my first DD on a Sunday where I typically make a nice family meal. We'll see how it goes!

Also, what is a MD?? And where do I read about it?
TBH I havent dared tell him yet! It has taken him a good while to get used to my low carbing...he realises now it isnt a fad...and he sure loves the meals I make!

We have been together 17 years, and he has lived through my very low cal diets...ww...not fat and many more.

He is a lovely DH...but I know when he hears that I am doing very low cals every other day...he will think "disordered eating!" (I have suffered from bulimia for many years)

I will tell him...one day...when I have been maintaining for a while....his biggest fear is that I will lose to much weight and become ill.

Does your SO approve of your woe?

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Old 10-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #829
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
I dream of maintaining one day. But that just means same habits everyday for a long long time.
Fat loss seems like it's more fun as much of PITA as it can be.

It's all about the Journey!
True...but it also means being slim every day for a long, long time!

I do know what you mean though...you feel a little unfocused when you are not actively trying to lose.

hugs
Jo
x
Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #830
Blabbermouth!!!

You don't strike your heel if you are barefoot, either. It's my primal side, sorry
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #831
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1annewil View Post
I have learned that hunger comes in waves....I can usually ride that wave out with a hot drink, or very small snack. I think I was SCARED of feeling hunger..esp after low carb....but , like most fears...live through it, survive...and the fear is a lot less!-Joedi quote.

I am not so afrid of hunger as much as when my blood sugar levels plummet and I get that shakey-light headed feeling. That's my dread on DDs. Basic hunger I can manage-most of the time especially when I know what's next is there.

Marie, I go to my gym 2 or 3 times a week and do the elliptical. I have had several bouts with plantar fasciitis and walking is out for now. Oh, surgery-I had lipo with a hysterectomy 8 years ago and lost 7 fast ones but I regained it because I abused eating. However, my body still looks better than before. Hope it goes well.

I get this too! It makes me clumsy...dropping stuff, bumping into things..feeling shaky..its horrible
I eat little and often on my DD's....it seems to help...but go too long, and I know when my bs has plummeted.
I used to get this ALL the time when I ate high carb...I would start to shake...and think..oh, its time to eat!
Its why I could never IF...managed one day!

hugs
Jo
x

Last edited by Joedi; 10-23-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #832
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
I get this too! It makes me clumsy...dropping stuff, bumping into things..feeling shaky..its horrible
I eat little and often on my DD's....it seems to help...but go too long, and I know when my bs has plummeted.
I used to get this ALL the time when I ate high carb...I would start to shake...and think..oh, its time to eat!
Its why I could never IF...managed one day!
I'm also hypoglycemic, but I"ve never had an episode on a DD. Now, on hcg I did sometimes...but that's days and days in a row of DDs.

I still avoid carbs...they just don't fill me up. I have a sis and father just like me (we call them the heebie-jeebies) and I'd do pretty much anything to avoid an episode! But really, DDs have never caused me one! I still follow basic rules like not eating a bedtime snack the day before.

Hypoglycemia really isn't related to hunger, more to dropping blood sugar levels. And it's the same symptoms you get, say, if you are in a near car accident. You pull off the road, and are shaking too much to walk or even talk right. You break into a sweat. Generally, though, I have a good 30-60 minute window from first symptom to full on attack. Usually plenty of time to find sustenance. I've been lowcarbing since 2006, so memories of full attacks are far in my past now!
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 10-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #833
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
Dottie....i routinely fast on my DD's i drink fluids all day then have a small 400-ish cal meal in the evening. i like the resting of my system that this gives me as well as the self control i am learning. sure, i get hungry, but it passes. i then eat above my BMR on my UD's. but by having these extremes then there is no room for question. it seems i have better focus if i have these extremes. today is a MD, but it's proving to difficult b/c i don't have the absolute of fasting or eating above BMR....am i making any sense? it's like on my MD i don't have enough guidelines that making wise choices is MUCH harder. sounds silly, i'm sure, but it seems this is what my brain needs to maintain control of food rather than the other way around.
Lol! I feel this too!
On DD'S I am eating low cals foods...squeezing out every calorie I can...and on UD's, I am thinking..."mmm....what tasty, high fat high cals food can I eat today"

On medium days I have no focus ...I have only tried 2 MD's days so far...one was an accident, , and i wasnt sure WHAT to eat!

I had better get used to them though, cos, calorie wise... that will be how I would imagine my DD maintaining calories will be!

hugs
Jo
x
Old 10-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #834
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, I'm having a problem with my medium day here, too, but I think that is related to being ill. Hopefully, I'll do better next week.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #835
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i don't like MD's.

that is all.

(should be better when all birthday goodies are GONE....haaarrrrumph)

Last edited by dazygyrl; 10-23-2011 at 02:17 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #836
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Yeah MD suck.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #837

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/138/130-135
I agree. No more MD's for me! They will need to be UD's. Afterall, I don't want to risk slowing my metabolism down, LOL.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #838

I don't do MDs very often now either. Since we're both retired, I don't need to manage my days in such a way that a certain day is always an UD, etc.

We just go out to play on the days that I have more UD freedom, and on DDs, maybe we'll go for a walk along the nature trail, or things that are *no food stands/no snack bars* type places. DH is very supportive and very easy to work this plan with.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #839
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzcrzy View Post
I agree. No more MD's for me! They will need to be UD's. Afterall, I don't want to risk slowing my metabolism down, LOL.
marie...I like the way you think!

Jo
x
Old 10-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #840
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
This is VERY interesting to me! I have the Sketchers "rocker sole" shoes and they hurt my feet terrible but maybe I should try them for my PF, that is SO bad right now I can't walk either. Thanks for the idea! How often did you where them in those 2 weeks?
Sorry to hear those shoes hurt your feet!
I got a cheaper version at K-Mart, called Therashoes.
I had to get really good insoles, because the insides of the shoe were not well made IMO...but the SOLES! OMG, saved my life!
I wore them 5 days a week at work. The second I put them on in the store,
I almost started crying with relief and happiness.
They resolved the excruciating lower back pain/grinding I was experiencing, too.

Quote:
That's very interesting. DH was given an exercise to do that involves keeping the foot flat on the floor, but leaning forward against a wall or counter in such a way as to stretch out the back of the calf and that *cord* that runs down and over the heel beneath the foot. Sounds like those rocker shoes help with a little of the rocking stretching?
Yes, I think the shoe stretches the foot and tendons somehow...or at least prevents them from tightening up, since the foot is positioned differently.

Funnily enough--a neighbor of mine is an opera singer and sings at a church every Sunday. She discovered she can't sing in these shoes! Isn't that funny? But it just goes to show how much they change your posture.

I actually only like wearing them indoors or on sidewalks.
They do keep your toes off the ground, so I don't like wearing them on uneven terrain where I might need my toes to balance or grip the ground!

But overall I LOVE those shoes and recommend them to everyone!
I got mine for $35 at KMart and they're often on sale for $20-25, or BOGO.
Closed Thread