Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   It's Saturday! What are you eating today? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/736949-its-saturday-what-you-eating-today.html)

Joedi 09-24-2011 05:12 AM

It's Saturday! What are you eating today?
 
DD for me!

I haven't got it all planned out yet... My protein shake is chilling in the fridge, and I have half a DD muffin to eat... I will post my menu later... just wanted to get the thread started!

Btw... Am I the only one who eats more or less the same on a DD...and wildly different on an UD?

Hugs
Jo
X

Cruzcrzy 09-24-2011 05:15 AM

Good morning Jo,

this is an UP day for me. I am not sure what is on my menu, whatever the mood strikes. I'm up early and cooked up 3 slices of thick bacon, so far. This is only day 7 for me, but, I am loving this plan. So far, I am eating the same thing on down days, but, hope to change it up a bit. What is a DD muffin?

Wishing you a beautiful day!

AnnF 09-24-2011 05:31 AM

Morning Joedie and Marie!

DD for me, too. No idea what the menu will be today.

All these OMM recipes make me wish I had a microwave! Mine died last year and I never replaced it. I'm tempted to go and pick up cheap one and order some oat fiber, as it seems like a great way to create a filling and low calorie treat. Netrition is out of stock on the glucomannan powder-- do you all recommend the other available brands (Now and Nature's Way)?

Also, any recipes for DD Muffins not made with Oat fiber and glucomannan, given that I haven't got those ingredients in the house? :)

darlingnikki 09-24-2011 07:21 AM

First DD for me YAY!

B-black coffee and hot water 0 cals
L- Protein Shake 2 scoops 180 cals
D- Protein Shake 2 scoops 180 cals
S- Herbal Tea 0 Cals
Total for the day 360 Cals 4 net carbs
DD goal is 358 so I am over by 2 cals may leave a sip in the glass LOL!
Morning Weigh in 137.4...not weighing again till next weekend!

lisabinil 09-24-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnF (Post 15031423)
Morning Joedie and Marie!

DD for me, too. No idea what the menu will be today.

All these OMM recipes make me wish I had a microwave! Mine died last year and I never replaced it. I'm tempted to go and pick up cheap one and order some oat fiber, as it seems like a great way to create a filling and low calorie treat. Netrition is out of stock on the glucomannan powder-- do you all recommend the other available brands (Now and Nature's Way)?

Also, any recipes for DD Muffins not made with Oat fiber and glucomannan, given that I haven't got those ingredients in the house? They might be a bit higher cal than Ouizoids recipe for her choc low cal OMM. :)


The original OMM recipe calls for just flax meal-you can make it without oat fiber or glucomannan. There are also recipes for making a batch of them and baking in the oven. :)

AnnF 09-24-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 15031582)
The original OMM recipe calls for just flax meal-you can make it without oat fiber or glucomannan. There are also recipes for making a batch of them and baking in the oven. :)

Thanks-- I make that version in batches all the time. Was just looking for something lower in calories good for a DD. :)

SoHappy 09-24-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnF (Post 15031607)
Thanks-- I make that version in batched all the time. Was just looking for something lower in calories good for a DD. :)

That's the strange but fun difference with JUDDD.

On UDs, you can eat anything, so it can be the flax muffins, which are low carb but higher calories.. or it could be a giant blueberry muffin from your favorite coffee shoppe that is sky high in both carbs and calories and somewhat questionable as to its true nutritional value.

But on our JUDDD DDs, while we can still eat of any foods we want, it's so important to keep the calories down that even the traditional low carb flax muffin is pretty high in calories to work it into the low calorie framework very well.

SoHappy 09-24-2011 07:59 AM

I'll be doing a Medium Day today, and will keep it at 1,000 calories.

Breakfast: 1 egg on a toasted slice of English muffin bread, with 1 C of cranberry juice cocktail and 5 oz of orange segments. (I have no idea what the bread is like.. I just saw it at the bakery and thought it sounded fun and interesting.)

Lunch: Big bowl of thick homemade chicken corn chowder with rice added in.. lots of chicken thigh meat and various leftover bits of onions and peppers and other vegetables, etc. Estimating the end calories as I weigh and measure the ingredients going in, but getting rid of the leftover sweetcorn and other odds and ends too. We always used to call this *garbage soup* in the olden days, but my DH will rave over a bowl of *chowder* but turn his nose up if it's called garbage soup. LOL And, 5 oz of apple wedges from peeled and cored apple.

Supper: 3 oz of T-bone steak with 3 oz broccoli, and a nice salad of lettuce, tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, and either Italian of Ginger Sesame dressing.

AnnF 09-24-2011 08:04 AM

Exactly my thought, Pat!

So far for today (DD) I've had a hot de-caf coffee cappuccino egg cream (2 eggs) for 140 calories, 12.6 grams protein and 1.5 carbs.

I think I will make a batch of Oatmeal bars and have one as an afternoon snack and to use during the work week. At 107 calories they're really a filling grab and go breakfast on either an UD or a DD.

Will also make lentil stew for lunch.

No idea aout dinner yet. :)

Beeb 09-24-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnF (Post 15031665)
Exactly my thought, Pat!

So far for today (DD) I've had a hot de-caf coffee cappuccino egg cream (2 eggs) for 140 calories, 12.6 grams protein and 1.5 carbs.

I think I will make a batch of Oatmeal bars and have one as an afternoon snack and to use during the work week. At 107 calories they're really a filling grab and go breakfast on either an UD or a DD.

Will also make lentil stew for lunch.

No idea aout dinner yet. :)

OK......hand over that Oatmeal Bar recipe, JUDDD BUDDD! :yummy: These sound great and I need the "grab and go" sometimes. Is it in the recipe thread and I'm missing it? :doh: If not, how about putting it in there if and when you have time for all of us? :shake::hugs:

DD for me and I have NO idea what I want to eat. It's almost noon and I'm just starting to get hungry. I know I'm going to have a big salad for dinner when I go out, but that is about all I got planned for today! :dunno:

AnnF 09-24-2011 10:14 AM

LOL Linda! Here it is! This recipe comes from the blog Kath Eats Real Food, though I tweaked it a bit to make it lower carb and lower calorie. I have oat fiber on order and imagine I can get the calorie and carb count waaaaay down by subbing some in for the oatmeal.

Hope you enjoy them-- I sure do! :)

Beeb 09-24-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnF (Post 15031942)
LOL Linda! Here it is! This recipe comes from the blog Kath Eats Real Food, though I tweaked it a bit to make it lower carb and lower calorie. I have oat fiber on order and imagine I can get the calorie and carb count waaaaay down by subbing some in for the oatmeal.

Hope you enjoy them-- I sure do! :)

I :heart: you! Thanks so much and I think you are right about the oat fiber! I just looked at the recipe and it looks :yummy: :up::clap:

AnnF 09-24-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 15031999)
I :heart: you! Thanks so much and I think you are right about the oat fiber! I just looked at the recipe and it looks :yummy: :up::clap:

And when you inevitably tweak it to be even more low calorie please be sure to share! :hugs:

Beeb 09-24-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnF (Post 15032017)
And when you inevitably tweak it to be even more low calorie please be sure to share! :hugs:

:hugs::up:

Joedi 09-24-2011 02:34 PM

DD Muffin (ouizoids) included in post!
 
Its 9pm, and I have just finished a very enjoyable DD!:)

B - Egg white omelette, made with spinach, slice of wafer thin ham, and an oz of hot n spicy salsa - 66

L- H/made chicken shirataki noodle soup, 1/2 portion of choc DD muffin - 114

D - Chicken salad, 1/2 cup stewed rhubarb - 161

S- protein shake (1 scoop + 1T cocoa, ice and water)
Parmesan DD muffin
Coffee & coffee mate - 235


Total

589 cals
11g fat
39 g carbs
77g protein



Marie you asked what a DD muffin is. Well it is an Ouizoid recipe..originally called "Super Low Cal Low Carb Chocolate muffin"!

Personally I will be forever grateful to ouizoid :notwrthy:...this keeps me going on my DD...and a piece with a cuppa is bliss.

The muffin is seriously HUGE! I have a mini silicone muffin tray, and I get 8 little muffins from it! One or 2 are fab with a coffee...and some even end up in a bowl of gluc pudding, as a little after dinner "dessert". :D

Here is the recipe as ouizoid posted it:

DRY
1/4 cup oat fiber
2 Tbs Hersheys special dark cocoa (20 cals) (or you could use coffee & cinnamon, or, like Beeb, a sachet of apple cider mix!)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 or a little less cup erythritol
1 tsp glucomannan powder

blend dry ingredients

WET
1/3 cup liquid eggwhite (30)
2 Tbs davinci SF vanilla syrup
2 Tbs hersheys sf chocolate syrup (15 cals) (or 2 T ff greek yogurt, FF sour cream or Walden Farms sweet dip)

mix together wet and dry and microwave for about a minute. There may be a little moist stuff on top--don't microwave until entirely dry.

Im thinking about 65 calories and 2-3 carbs for the thing. I sliced it up and topped with a little more hersheys sf syrup and it was so YUM. I think adding the glucomannan powder to the dry ingredients gave it a much moister crumb than you usually get with oat fiber--and of course cocoa acts like flour most of the time.


I have made a choc peanut one....by adding 2T PB2..adds an extra 45 cals...but so worth it!
The coffee & cinnamon one is lovely...add a little ginger spice, and it tastes like gingerbread!
I have also done a savoury one...using half a sachet of cup soup mix, and some herbs, or 2 T grated parmesan, a little ham and some herbs, and ommiting the sugar sub, and syrups, and replacing the liquids with water.

just remember to adjust the cal counts when you tweek! ;)

I have a lot of fun on my DD's just trying out new flavours. :love:

let me know if you try it, and what you think!

hugs
Jo

Cruzcrzy 09-24-2011 04:02 PM

Jo -

thanks so much for taking the time to post the recipe for me. I need to get some of the specialty items these recipes seem to call for. Maybe I will just order the stuff for netrition assuming they have it all. It sounds wonderful. I like the idea of a HUGE muffin :). I will keep you posted for sure. I love the additional ingredient ideas too. Thanks again!

Cruzcrzy 09-24-2011 04:20 PM

UP day for me. My days start early so this may seem a bit disjointed.

EARLY morning - 3 pieces thick sliced bacon - 195 calories


mid morning snack - Prepackaged salad - was reduced to 99 cents - EXCELLENT - Fresh express Waldorf salad - 340 calories

snack - 8 Sesmark Rice thins w/hummus - 110 calories

Late lunch - Chicken caesar salad wrap(used Flatout wrap) - 325 calories

2 dill pickle spears - 10 calories

several cups of coffee/iced coffee with half-n-half - 125 calories

It seems like I've been eating all day. In fact, I took 2 walks today to help compensate. So far I am only at 1105 calories, 62.8 fat, 90.2 carbs, 56.8 protein. My carb amount scares me a little. Thoughts? I am not really hungry for dinner. I MAY have just a bit of pork. Do I need to force myself to eat to get my calories up since this is an UP day. Thoughts? Thanks.

SoHappy 09-24-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruzcrzy (Post 15032586)
UP day for me. My days start early so this may seem a bit disjointed.

EARLY morning - 3 pieces thick sliced bacon - 195 calories


mid morning snack - Prepackaged salad - was reduced to 99 cents - EXCELLENT - Fresh express Waldorf salad - 340 calories

snack - 8 Sesmark Rice thins w/hummus - 110 calories

Late lunch - Chicken caesar salad wrap(used Flatout wrap) - 325 calories

2 dill pickle spears - 10 calories

several cups of coffee/iced coffee with half-n-half - 125 calories

It seems like I've been eating all day. In fact, I took 2 walks today to help compensate. So far I am only at 1105 calories, 62.8 fat, 90.2 carbs, 56.8 protein. My carb amount scares me a little. Thoughts? I am not really hungry for dinner. I MAY have just a bit of pork. Do I need to force myself to eat to get my calories up since this is an UP day. Thoughts? Thanks.

Will you be going to bed for the night late, or fairly early? You may still feel some hunger as the evening continues. And then you certainly have calorie room for a little more.

JUDDD's Dr. Johnson says we don't have to eat up to our Up Day calories if we just aren't hungry. And unless it happens on every single Up Day, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My only thing about eating to UD calorie ceilings is that it supposedly seems to make the metabolism rev up somewhat when that UD ceiling is counterbalanced by the low DD calories.

I'm always so afraid for myself that my metabolism will just get slower and more sluggish if I keep my calories low all the time. In past dieting efforts, it was quite happy to slow right down to the low level I had kept myself eating at, and I had to work to get it working at a bit faster speed. I'm better now than I was a year ago, so that makes me very, very happy.

But if this is just for the day, or an occasional day, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cruzcrzy 09-24-2011 05:16 PM

Thanks, Pat. I did decide to have some pork and a glass of wine. I do not want my metabolism to slow down. I feel I am too new into this process and want to stabilize as well as I can. I was also concerned about being too hungry tomorrow. I am typically an early to bed person, and do not like to eat any later than 6pm. I also just realized that Tuesday and Thursday needs to be a down day due to my weight lifting class. Tomorrow is suppose to be a down day. Should I make Monday a medium day? I would also like your opinion on carb numbers. I have been a member of LCF for years, but, I've never been a low carber, lol. I only watched my carb amounts while on P3/P4. Thanks for any words of wisdom you can give me.

AnnF 09-24-2011 05:27 PM

Feeling pretty pleased with my DD. I'm under my allowed amount and I'm not feeling deprived. If I get the munchies I'll just go to bed. :lol:

I ended up having:

B: Hot coffee egg cream cappuccino (140)
L: Oat Bar (107)
D: Spicy chicken and green bean stir fry (300)
S: SF jello w/ fat-free whipped cream (30)

Total calories and carbs: 574/19

SoHappy 09-24-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruzcrzy (Post 15032665)
Thanks, Pat. I did decide to have some pork and a glass of wine. I do not want my metabolism to slow down. I feel I am too new into this process and want to stabilize as well as I can. I was also concerned about being too hungry tomorrow. I am typically an early to bed person, and do not like to eat any later than 6pm. I also just realized that Tuesday and Thursday needs to be a down day due to my weight lifting class. Tomorrow is suppose to be a down day. Should I make Monday a medium day? I would also like your opinion on carb numbers. I have been a member of LCF for years, but, I've never been a low carber, lol. I only watched my carb amounts while on P3/P4. Thanks for any words of wisdom you can give me.

Well, you know how the simeons protocol calls for 500 calorie diet phases, followed by 2,000 calorie stabilization periods. (I think I'm understand it somewhat like that..)

I do think there is some importance to the good spread between the highs and the lows if you're going to reap the full advantages of cycling.

I'm not understanding something, I think. You said today was an UD, and tomorrow was slated to be a DD. And you needed Tuesday and Thursday to both be DDs too. So why can't you just follow a straight UD/DD rotation.

Today..........an Up Day
Tomorrow.....a Down Day
Monday........UD
Tuesday.......DD
Wednesday..UD
Thursday......DD

Is there something that I am missing that will cause this not to work. Or have I misinterpreted something?

Cruzcrzy 09-24-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnF (Post 15032697)
Feeling pretty pleased with my DD. I'm under my allowed amount and I'm not feeling deprived. If I get the munchies I'll just go to bed. :lol:

I ended up having:

B: Hot coffee egg cream cappuccino (140)
L: Oat Bar (107)
D: Spicy chicken and green bean stir fry (300)
S: SF jello w/ fat-free whipped cream (30)

Total calories and carbs: 574/19

That is a terrific menu. WTG! You all are inspiring me to be more creative with my DD's. I've been having protein shakes and greek yogurts for my DD's. The greek yogurt does have alot of protein, but, unless I can get a good deal it's becoming cost prohibitive.

SoHappy 09-24-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnF (Post 15032697)
Feeling pretty pleased with my DD. I'm under my allowed amount and I'm not feeling deprived. If I get the munchies I'll just go to bed. :lol:

I ended up having:

B: Hot coffee egg cream cappuccino (140)
L: Oat Bar (107)
D: Spicy chicken and green bean stir fry (300)
S: SF jello w/ fat-free whipped cream (30)

Total calories and carbs: 574/19

Totally awesome job! You've pretty much nailed it! :hugs:

Cruzcrzy 09-24-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15032701)
Well, you know how the simeons protocol calls for 500 calorie diet phases, followed by 2,000 calorie stabilization periods. (I think I'm understand it somewhat like that..)

I do think there is some importance to the good spread between the highs and the lows if you're going to reap the full advantages of cycling.

I'm not understanding something, I think. You said today was an UD, and tomorrow was slated to be a DD. And you needed Tuesday and Thursday to both be DDs too. So why can't you just follow a straight UD/DD rotation.

Today..........an Up Day
Tomorrow.....a Down Day
Monday........UD
Tuesday.......DD
Wednesday..UD
Thursday......DD

Is there something that I am missing that will cause this not to work. Or have I misinterpreted something?

Oh, Pat, I am so sorry. It should have read that I need T/TH to be an UP day, thus the dilemna. I'm sorry:o. Thanks for your help.

SoHappy 09-24-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruzcrzy (Post 15032712)
Oh, Pat, I am so sorry. It should have read that I need T/TH to be an UP day, thus the dilemna. I'm sorry:o. Thanks for your help.

OK, here's what I would do. I'd stop eating for today and call it a MD. Even with some port and wine, you had been sitting at only 1,105 calories, so maybe you didn't add too much to that.

Then have Sunday be an UD, Monday a DD, Tuesday another UD... and so forth.


Or else... if you feel you have already eaten too many calories this evening to be able to call this a MD, then just have tomorrow be a Medium Day, with Monday a DD, and Tuesday an UD...

Good luck with your Tues and Thurs days!

Cruzcrzy 09-24-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15032761)
OK, here's what I would do. I'd stop eating for today and call it a MD. Even with some port and wine, you had been sitting at only 1,105 calories, so maybe you didn't add too much to that.

Then have Sunday be an UD, Monday a DD, Tuesday another UD... and so forth.


Or else... if you feel you have already eaten too many calories this evening to be able to call this a MD, then just have tomorrow be a Medium Day, with Monday a DD, and Tuesday an UD...

Good luck with your Tues and Thurs days!

I wish I would have thought of that, to make today a MD!!! AIYY!! I think I am at too many calories now, around 1500. I'll have to give this some thought. If not, I will make tomorrow a MD. Thanks for the help.

Joedi 09-24-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnF (Post 15032697)
Feeling pretty pleased with my DD. I'm under my allowed amount and I'm not feeling deprived. If I get the munchies I'll just go to bed. :lol:

I ended up having:

B: Hot coffee egg cream cappuccino (140)
L: Oat Bar (107)
D: Spicy chicken and green bean stir fry (300)
S: SF jello w/ fat-free whipped cream (30)

Total calories and carbs: 574/19

Hi Ann!
can I ask how you make a hot coffee egg cream cappuccino? I have never heard of a hot egg cream before, and would love to try one!

Hugs
Jo
X

AnnF 09-24-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedi (Post 15032859)
Hi Ann!
can I ask how you make a hot coffee egg cream cappuccino? I have never heard of a hot egg cream before, and would love to try one!

Hugs
Jo
X

I love these and have one almost every morning. Here is the original recipe... but I make mine slightly differently, so here are my tweaks:

In your blender whirl two eggs until frothy
While the blender is running, add:
About 1 T SF vanilla syrup, and 1 T SF chocolate syrup (or whatever flavors you like)
1/2 cup HOT coffee

Pour the frothy egg mixture into a large mug and top with more hot coffee. Sprinkle with cinnamon or cocoa powder.

For those people who are apprehensive about raw eggs-- the hot coffee tempers them.

Joedi 09-25-2011 04:16 AM

Thanks Ann!! Will try that. Do you think it would be good with just egg whites on a DD?

Hugs
Jo
X

AnnF 09-25-2011 04:49 AM

:) I'm sure it would be great and I will be trying it on my next DD!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.