Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Thinking about doing JUDDD

Hello,

The info here is great, i have been a long time low carb eater for years to lose weight as needed. And a stalker of LCF, reading others post for a few years, getting great advice. Anyway, I would be using this as a way to lose weight and hope it turns into a WOE. But can you excelerate the weight loss in anyway. On low carb, I only eat 2-5 carbs a day and in general keep the calories between 800-1300 a day. I also exercise 4-6 times a week. Which results in a 1 pound a day average. I weigh 231 pounds as of today and have lost 24 pounds in 23 days on low carb this time. But God I would love to eat a few donuts and some white bread on occasion and not be thrown out of ketosis for 3-5 days, and another few days to start the weight loss. Question: Is it possible to get the same results if I follow JUDDD religiously, like I do low carb. I can handle a 500 calorie day(actually it would be 688) if I know there is a kolache waiting at the other end. What can I say, I just love all foods.

This diet seems like a way to do that love all foods and still lose weight efficiently. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Hello,

The info here is great, i have been a long time low carb eater for years to lose weight as needed. And a stalker of LCF, reading others post for a few years, getting great advice. Anyway, I would be using this as a way to lose weight and hope it turns into a WOE. But can you excelerate the weight loss in anyway. On low carb, I only eat 2-5 carbs a day and in general keep the calories between 800-1300 a day. I also exercise 4-6 times a week. Which results in a 1 pound a day average. I weigh 231 pounds as of today and have lost 24 pounds in 23 days on low carb this time. But God I would love to eat a few donuts and some white bread on occasion and not be thrown out of ketosis for 3-5 days, and another few days to start the weight loss. Question: Is it possible to get the same results if I follow JUDDD religiously, like I do low carb. I can handle a 500 calorie day(actually it would be 688) if I know there is a kolache waiting at the other end. What can I say, I just love all foods.

This diet seems like a way to do that love all foods and still lose weight efficiently. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
Hi, kempmuhlbauer! You would be more than welcome to join us here and you'll be finding a warm welcome if you do! We'd love to have you join us.

Before getting to your questions, I'd like to point out that you don't eat very many calories a day as you say only 800 to 1,300 per day. So this is what I'd need to know: Do you know that that is accurate? Do you actually measure out and weigh out your foods and ingredients and keep track of those calories so that you absolutely know that you are eating in the 800 to 1,300 calorie range? Because we'll try to get that number up if this is truly all your eating at every day.

Secondly, you say you've lost 24 pounds in 23 days, starting from a weight of 255 pounds, down to 231 as of today. That tells me that you have just started doing your low carb diet about 3 weeks ago. You're doing wonderfully well. Here's what I need to ask you though... are you aware that a very great deal of the weight you've lost so far is not actual body fat, but is instead *water weight* from your tissues as you have used up your body's stored glycogen stores (your stored carb fuel), and weight loss almost always (100% of the time?) slows down drastically once all that water weight has been shed. And then you enter into the actual hard work of weight loss. So you may be losing body fat at the rate of say.. two pounds per week.. which would be a real good pace. Perhaps you are losing at the rate of three pounds per week, which would be AMAZINGLY fast! Then I would envy you for that lightening fast weight loss beyond all people!

What I'm getting around to saying is this: JUDDD will not accelerate that rate of weight loss. And if you want to add back in some yummy carby foods, you can certainly do it on this JUDDD plan, but you must expect and be willing to accept that you will regain some/much of that lost water weight as you choose to put carbs back into your diet. Many of us here do just that. There are no forbidden foods on this JUDDD plan, and some of us now enjoy some carbs in our diet on our Up Days. But there is a price to pay for that on the scale. So while you may not see it much, you can weigh less on the scale or more on the scale, depending on whether you have much water weight within your body, which is dependent on whether you are doing very low carb, or whether you're eating foods like you mentioned above.

I guess my answer is, no... JUDDD won't make you lose weight any faster, it may even be a slower plan. But it can help you eat a whole lot more calories on your Up Days than you may have been able to before, and it can allow you to eat some of those goodies, if you decide to include them in your diet. But there is always a price to pay for everything, and as far as weight loss goes, JUDDD requires you to really adhere to fairly strict calorie levels, and that means you really need to be weighing and measuring out your foods and keeping track of those calories. Otherwise, ...well otherwise, you won't be actually doing JUDDD, and the plan won't work.

Hoped that answered a few of your questions and concerns. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have too. We're a friendly bunch and can hopefully put your mind at ease. Hope to have you join us!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I agree with everything that SoHappy is saying to you. I would never be the person to discourage anyone from trying and doing JUDDD, I'm the poster child for this WOE but I wanted to ask my own questions of you, too.

If you are doing a very low carb way of eating, why are you counting calories, especially in the beginning? LC is not a type of diet that counts calories, and JUDDD IS a calorie counting diet and most of us don't worry about the carbs as much, even though we tend to keep them under 100g or less.

If you are losing well on VLC, why switch? If it is because you want that bread or donut? You may have them on JUDDD BUT if that bread or donut got you in trouble the first time, JUDDD may not be the diet for you since NO food is limited except the ones YOU decide to limit.

I don't eat potato chips even on JUDDD for the reason that I will eat the whole bag and THAT is what got me over weight! It's all a matter of knowing what will work for me (or you) and potato chips just don't play well with me!

Just my thoughts, nothing more.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rachelocity
WOE: Fitbit/My Fitness Pal
Start Date: Every day I'm shuffling
I'd say to give JUDDD a shot, because you have nothing but weight to lose. This has been a blessing because of the fact that I know that whatever food I crave is no more than 24 hours away. I can plan to go out for dinner on UDs, which I did last night, with delicious results and no over-eating like I would if I only permitted myself to enjoy "good food" once a month.

Important distinction: The opposite of restriction is a binge, but the opposite of a UD is a DD, which is what most naturally skinny people do instinctively, That is why they are naturally skinny. And why I have to use the artificial construct of something like JUDDD.

BTW, last night when going out for dinner, I made good choices, and left half of my fries over for my DS to enjoy. We shared a dessert afterward, and although the quantity of food was the same as if I'd done it WW style (allowing myself only 1/2 my fries, not ordering a whole dessert, etc.), the experience and level of satisfaction was totally different. I found I didn't want the whole portion of fries, nor did I have room for more than 1/4 of the dessert. But this was coming from inside of me rather than being externally controlled. This is a radical shift for me, because I have pretty much been on formal diets since I was 12 years old (I'm 55). Today, after yesterday's indulgences, I'm happy to eat clean, because that's also delicious food and not plates of punishment.

What I'm trying to say is that JUDDD is helping me decriminalize certain foods. I can eat anything that pleases me, the world continues to turn, and I don't have to eat it all the time or never again as if these were the only two options in life. You have only to look at my hair to see that there are many shades of gray, and I can't see any of them as being bad. It's a cool lifestyle, isn't it?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelocity View Post
What I'm trying to say is that JUDDD is helping me decriminalize certain foods. I can eat anything that pleases me, the world continues to turn, and I don't have to eat it all the time or never again as if these were the only two options in life. You have only to look at my hair to see that there are many shades of gray, and I can't see any of them as being bad. It's a cool lifestyle, isn't it?
THIS^^^^ is going to become my JUDDD motto from now on! And I'm going to add it to my signature!!!

What GREAT insight and advice!!!

Last edited by Beeb; 09-22-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelocity View Post
..........What I'm trying to say is that JUDDD is helping me decriminalize certain foods. I can eat anything that pleases me, the world continues to turn, and I don't have to eat it all the time or never again as if these were the only two options in life. You have only to look at my hair to see that there are many shades of gray, and I can't see any of them as being bad. It's a cool lifestyle, isn't it?..........
I also loved these words and how you stated this concept, Rachel!

Thanks for putting this into words for us again.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the advice, And soHappy and beeb and everyone else, for taking the time, now to answer the questions:

I am a.d.d. like crazy. I count everything. I use livestrongs website to do this. Every thing i eat goes on that list, even a hamburger slice of pickle. So yes I do only eat 800-1300 calories a day, I have done the low carb thing many times and it works like crazy for me. I count calories on low carb, well just because i am a little crazy like that. LOL. I in general average a pound a day. I once went from 273 to 195 in 70 days. It is amazing. BUT I can never stick to it. That is why the JUDDD plan may be a way to go for longevity after i drop these pounds. Plus i am afraid the YO YO thing may catch up to me some day. FYI, I am heading to Rivera Maya on Oct. 21st for a couple of weeks and am trying to lose a bunch of weight before hand. But want to come back to a solid eating plan. Something I can do for a long time.
This diet seems like the one to try. I am practically on it all ready. Oh and i do work out like a crazy when doing low carb. one hour 6 days a week in the gym, plus other activites. I stay very active because i feel so energized. But man i would love a piece of bread and some pasta on occasion with out completely blowing my eating plan.

Again thanks so much for all the advice. This seems like the way to go. Go JUDDD
Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, And soHappy and beeb and everyone else, for taking the time, now to answer the questions:

I am a.d.d. like crazy. I count everything. I use livestrongs website to do this. Every thing i eat goes on that list, even a hamburger slice of pickle. So yes I do only eat 800-1300 calories a day, I have done the low carb thing many times and it works like crazy for me. I count calories on low carb, well just because i am a little crazy like that. LOL. I in general average a pound a day. I once went from 273 to 195 in 70 days. It is amazing. BUT I can never stick to it. That is why the JUDDD plan may be a way to go for longevity after i drop these pounds. Plus i am afraid the YO YO thing may catch up to me some day. FYI, I am heading to Rivera Maya on Oct. 21st for a couple of weeks and am trying to lose a bunch of weight before hand. But want to come back to a solid eating plan. Something I can do for a long time.
This diet seems like the one to try. I am practically on it all ready. Oh and i do work out like a crazy when doing low carb. one hour 6 days a week in the gym, plus other activites. I stay very active because i feel so energized. But man i would love a piece of bread and some pasta on occasion with out completely blowing my eating plan.

Again thanks so much for all the advice. This seems like the way to go. Go JUDDD
Wow! Do I ever envy you! You drop weight like crazy. AND, you're going to Rivera Maya in October!

Well, we sure welcome you here, so stick here with us while you do your low carb, in a JUDDD rotation of Up Days and Down Days, and then when you get back from your wonderful vacation, we'll expect to see your pics of a beautiful slim you in that gorgeous Mexican setting.

I look forward to reading about your food choices and your meal menus! Welcome!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much. I will do. Look forward to keeping up with everyone on JUDDD.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Have a wonderful holiday!
see you back here soon!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #11

TAKE ME WITH YOU!! Enjoy your vacation, can't wait to hear all about it!

Glad you have decided to try JUDDD! NEW JUDDD BUDDD!!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Well down to 228 this morning, broke down the 230 barrier. Of course i played golf in the houston heat yesterday so that helped alot i am sure.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Well down to 228 this morning, broke down the 230 barrier. Of course i played golf in the houston heat yesterday so that helped alot i am sure.
A loss is a loss no matter HOW we get it! WTG!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Yay! Sweat loss has got to count for something. LOL Just joking, but I'll bet you were truthfully really sweating it out if you golfed yesterday. DH, even at age 77, still walks the course every week, and some of that hot weather really takes it out of him. I'm sure you drink plenty of fluids when you're out on the course, to I won't have to do a Mother Hen with worry about you.

Congrats on being down in weight already. That's fast work, and even if we fluctuate some as our days pass, seeing more of the *down* times instead of *up* weights is so much fun!

You're really doing a good job already!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Well today is my down day. so far today 446 calories and dinner to go. It is tough to do both VLC and JUDDD. But I love the idea of JUDDD. I am going to keep at it. The web page said I could have 688 calories on down days. And 3400 on up days. Due to the fact that I am just plain not hungry it is hard on up days to eat more than 1400 calories. I tried yesterday and only had 1284. I am concerned that it will not kick in the majic gene with these numbers. Either way once my goal weight is attained I will be 100 percent JUDDD all the way, even if i do put back on a few before it kicks in. Again thanks for all the advice. And yes I did drink lots of water in the heat.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Well today is my down day. so far today 446 calories and dinner to go. It is tough to do both VLC and JUDDD. But I love the idea of JUDDD. I am going to keep at it. The web page said I could have 688 calories on down days. And 3400 on up days. Due to the fact that I am just plain not hungry it is hard on up days to eat more than 1400 calories. I tried yesterday and only had 1284. I am concerned that it will not kick in the majic gene with these numbers. Either way once my goal weight is attained I will be 100 percent JUDDD all the way, even if i do put back on a few before it kicks in. Again thanks for all the advice. And yes I did drink lots of water in the heat.
I'm a little taken aback by the calorie numbers you posted.

I can see doing a Down Day of 688 calories. Some have raised their DD calories that high and still made it work for them, although for the majority of us, that figure would be too high.

What I really am questioning is the Up Day calorie figure you are quoting, that you are saying the JUDDD site recommended you consume 3,400 calories on Up Days!!!!!
That's almost an unheard of UD number, and I have to tell you the truth... I'd be really incredibly surprised if anybody could lose any weight eating at that level.

So, are you certain you clicked the circle that asked it to calculate your weight in lb rather than in kg..... because there is a world of difference between the two, and the calorie figure you are quoting is enormous.

The other thing is that, sadly, it is pretty much agreed on by most that the JUDDD site gives most people a calorie figure which is just plainly too high for them. Which doesn't seem like it could possibly be, but lots of people say the site gives them a higher number than all the other sites available for calculating this figure. That's why we recommend folks get their suggested number from different sites and then sort of pick an average to use.

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out to you in case there has been a big, big error because I truly want JUDDD to work for you as well as it works for everyone, but if your numbers are as overly high as I think they might be, JUDDD won't work for you at all.

I do agree with you that it is somewhat harder to do JUDDD as very low carb when you also have to keep your calories down on your DDs. Those are the days that a lot of us eat a lot of vegetables, like in huge salads and huge stir frys that fill our plates and our bellies with food mass at low calories! But, of course, those same veggies might increase the carb number a bit higher than you're used to. Obviously you can't consume much in the way of fats on DDs, so if you are sticking to very low carb, that pretty much only leaves some protein.

I hope you'll consider doing some serious re-figuring of your calorie ceilings, in case your numbers are off, and maybe consider adding in a few more veggies on your DDs to help your tummy feel a bit fuller and more comfortable.

But I will add, it isn't too long before you somehow adjust to DDs and don't feel much hunger or appetite at all on those days. Weird but most often true. Couldn't tell you why for sure, but it's a big help!

Last edited by SoHappy; 09-24-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Old 09-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #17

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
SoHappy this is possible-I put in my current stats and use the exercise heavy for 6-7 days and get an UD of 3469 even at my age lol. The OP is male and what I have found about online calculators even the JUDDD one is that the exercise stats are way too high-for example I actually exercise 5X a week but in reality the numbers I need to use on the calculator are for 3X a week exercise. I see this again and again in most online calculators.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

So happy were can i find other calculators. I entered the numbers again and got the same thing. I did do exercise at 4-6 times a week. I went back to the JUDDD website and re-entered numbers and same thing on calories. As long as Kcal/d is calories. Made sure all was checked to american measures. Just curious, thanks.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
SoHappy this is possible-I put in my current stats and use the exercise heavy for 6-7 days and get an UD of 3469 even at my age lol. The OP is male and what I have found about online calculators even the JUDDD one is that the exercise stats are way too high-for example I actually exercise 5X a week but in reality the numbers I need to use on the calculator are for 3X a week exercise. I see this again and again in most online calculators.
I forgot to mention about the exercise portion of the calculators too. I think a lot of us (me) like to over emphasize our exercise and (ahem) powerful workouts, when in truth, many of us turn in pretty puny workouts. So I do agree that the exercise stats in relation to all the rest of the fields of information that gets plugged in can really cause a calorie number to come back way too high. So that's a very good point.

I didn't know that kempmuhlbauer was a guy though. That does make a big difference. I'm inclined to take back and rethink my reaction to UD calories that high. Or at least not react so strongly against them up in that ethereal range.
So thanks for that clue, Lisa! LOLOLOL

Well, he's already said he is detail oriented when it comes to measuring out everything and recording it faithfully, so that's way ahead of a lot of folks. I'm beginning to get a very positive feeling here. So, kempmuhlbauer! I think we're going to witness you shrinking by the week after all! One more success story in progress!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #20

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I would so love to be able to eat 3469 cals for a day-I have visions of cheesecake and pizza dancing in my mind. That's a lot of food! Good luck to you op!
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

SoHappy, I will check them out and let you know what they say. And yes last time i checked my wife told me I was a guy. LOL Thanks for all your input.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #22

Quote:
SoHappy, I will check them out and let you know what they say. And yes last time i checked my wife told me I was a guy. LOL Thanks for all your input.
OK. That's settled then. I trust your wife! LOL

Maybe you're going to find that the given Up Day calorie number from the JUDDD site is pretty close to what other sites give you too. It seems high, but then.. I'm an old woman, so most any big calorie number sounds high to me. LOLOL

But I am pretty darned sure about one thing, and it is that you will absolutely kick some serious *buttocks* with this JUDDD plan!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I would so love to be able to eat 3469 cals for a day-I have visions of cheesecake and pizza dancing in my mind. That's a lot of food! Good luck to you op!
And chocolate, onion rings and milk shakes!! I could think of LOTS of good food to eat up those 3469 cals!!

THREAD JUMP: Nice to see you here, Lisa!!!

Last edited by Beeb; 09-25-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Well I have had a hard time doing up this with my current low carb WOE. I am eating so few calories daily that I have very little to look forward on the up days. I am going to continue with 800 calorie down days and 1200 calorie up days. I have hit a little stall been 228 -230 for last 4 days. I just got home from the gym: 30 minutes cardio, 45 minutes weights, 15 minute steam room. So a solid day at the gym. Will be going back for another cardio session after 5. I want this stall to be over!!!! Anyway that is what is up....
Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought the theory behind JUDDD was to eat a lot more on UD so that your system would get a bit of a shock. I would think yours thinks it is being starved. For a man, you are really, really low in calories for any type of "diet".

I'm sure someone else will have more insight into the problem.

Good Luck!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought the theory behind JUDDD was to eat a lot more on UD so that your system would get a bit of a shock. I would think yours thinks it is being starved. For a man, you are really, really low in calories for any type of "diet".

I'm sure someone else will have more insight into the problem.

Good Luck!
I am going to agree here JUDDD is based on the concept of low calories one day and high calories the next day and those differences in calories are pretty far apart from each other, usually by as much as 3/4 more calories more on an UD from a DD. It starts the the SIRT1 gene, or the "skinny gene to get your body going again to lose weight. Less is not "more" or a good thing in the case of JUDDD, especially with the way you work out and are a man.

I wanna suggest something, if I may. How about doing JUDDD the way it says you should (maybe not as high on UDs but pretty close to that number) for 1 week and see what happens. By the 4th round of UD/DD during that week you will pretty much know if it's working for you or not and you won't be so far into it that it can't be changed if it's not working.

I really think we need to give ANY WOE a fighting chance in the beginning for it to work. After all, someone scientific (or lots of someones) figured it out for it to work the way it does and there is lots of proof that it does work their way.

JMHO

Last edited by Beeb; 09-27-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

I have to say I agree with you ladies. I think trying to do two diets at once is a bit to much. In the past I enjoyed the success of pounds just falling off with this WOE. VLC that is. For some reason this time I seem to be stalling. I again did not show a loss on the scale this morning(very disappointing), Especially as hard as I worked at it, but I am in deep ketosis so the fat is burning from somewhere. I am trying to lose another 20 plus pounds before the 21st of October. And at this rate, it will not be happening. I was trying to do JUDDD and VLC. The problem is that I am just not hungry at all. So on up days I will cook a 1lb rib eye and after 4-5 oz am stuffed. Oh well, I am just going to stay with it and hopefully it will start falling off again soon. THanks!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #28

Quote:
I have to say I agree with you ladies. I think trying to do two diets at once is a bit to much. In the past I enjoyed the success of pounds just falling off with this WOE. VLC that is. For some reason this time I seem to be stalling. I again did not show a loss on the scale this morning(very disappointing), Especially as hard as I worked at it, but I am in deep ketosis so the fat is burning from somewhere. I am trying to lose another 20 plus pounds before the 21st of October. And at this rate, it will not be happening. I was trying to do JUDDD and VLC. The problem is that I am just not hungry at all. So on up days I will cook a 1lb rib eye and after 4-5 oz am stuffed. Oh well, I am just going to stay with it and hopefully it will start falling off again soon. THanks!!!
Glad to see you are sticking with it!! I bet by next week things will start to "move" for you. Sometimes it takes our bodies time to adjust to a different WOE and it just about the changes we are making and digs it's heels in!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Sorry you didn't see any downward direction on the scale weigh-in again this morning.

You probably already know this, but I can think of a few things this could be.

First of all, you say that you are in ketosis. I assume you certainly are, but how do you know that? Are sticks showing a change of color? I don't really know what your entire diet is from day to day, but I do know that folks can indeed be burning fat, when it's not from their own body fat stores but is instead just the fat from their diet. So they are producing ketones, but only from burning their own dietary fat from their meals. But I'm going to assume this is not what is happening here. That's usually when the dieter just plainly eats far too many calories and there is simply no need to burn any body fat, as there are so many calories in the diet that no body fat calories are even needed for energy. But you don't eat much, so this is probably not it.

It could be that you have indeed lost some fat from some fat cells, but instead of simply closing out the cell, your body hangs onto the fat cells in case you start eating again, when the fat cells might be needed to store some fat in again. So in the meantime, the body stores some water in those cells... sort of a way to hold their place open, just in case. So you may be due for a good whoosh of weight loss shortly, as your body jettisons the water it has been using as a *place holder* in those empty fat cells. So you may have lost fat and just weigh the same because of some water weight that will whoosh away shortly.

Your body may just be in a pause. A plateau is pretty common, and nobody really explains why they occur. Our diet continues along, and our body won't budge. Usually weight loss starts in again shortly though. So maybe your weight losses will start in again very shortly.

But another thing is what I managed to do to myself over time. Hold your calories down low enough over time, and there is no reason or stimulation for your metabolism to remain at a high functioning level. In fact, it is stimulated to seek out a new lower and slower pace, brought down to match your low calorie intake. It's trying to preserve you. Trying to prevent this time of famine (low calories) from causing you to starve to death. So your metabolic processes are just triggered to slow down, down, down. Hard to continue to lose weight if your metabolism is triggered to slow... way... down. So that's another possibility.

The latter is what happened to me, and why I personally choose to eat as high as I can on my Up Days while keeping DD calories fairly low. For me, that works really well. For awhile, I might have had a bit faster weight loss by holding calories down on both UDs as well as DDs. Or even just doing real low calorie all days. But that only results in weight loss for me for a brief while, and then my metabolism crashes and burns! I chose to lose at a bit slower rate overall, but to really enjoy higher UDs.

YMMV here. But just wanted to mention some possible thoughts on the subject.

Hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that you will stop in here tomorrow morning and loudly proclaim that you have had a fabulous whoosh and have lost several pounds in one fell swoop!

Last edited by SoHappy; 09-28-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Pat,
Thanks so much for the comments and knowledge. I think my fat cells are just holding on tight, waiting for me to crack and eat a dozen donuts.
That is not going to happen. I was frustrated this morning, but am now happy again. I know that in the next day or so I will have a big drop. It did motivate me hit the gym hard today for 2 hours, and played softball in the 96 degree Texas heat....Double work outs will get that fat out of here. Anyway will let you guys know in the morning at 7am.

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes.