Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Has JUDD helped premeno women?

Just curious as to your experience if you are over 44 or so.

Like so many women, what I used to be able to get away with, I no longer can as my body is aging and changing.

I will be 48 this fall.

I am curious of this program has helped you lose if you are in that age bracket or is this more of a maintenance plan.

I am on the fence, do I start another round of HCG or give this a go but mixing in paleo eating.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Stevie
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #2

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I know others will be along to visit with you, Stevie. I'm 68 years old, so well past the age you are inquiring about, and sadly for the vast majority of us, we are just plainly going to have to face a slowdown in our metabolisms as we leave youth behind, as we age.

But I will also say that JUDDD is the one single eating plan that I have ever done that seems to have actually been able to increase metabolic rate for me!

For me, it has been a slowly but surely, step-by-step process of losing weight while pushing my calorie ceiling up on my Up Days.

I'm am reasonable, and know that I never will be able to eat everything in sight and remain slim, as I could do when I was a young woman. I was the one who could order two cheeseburgers with everything, large fries, a chocolate shake to drink, and a couple of little pies for dessert at McD's and remain thin. Those days are long gone, but I can now eat anything in the world once again and know that I won't have to worry about weight gain, and although I usually remain at a moderate carb level, I don't always have to worry about it. That's pretty remarkable to me.

I know others closer to your age will be along to share their thoughts. Welcome to JUDDD. Hope you stay here with us.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

Dear Pat,
thank you for the thoughtful post. I need to take the time to read some older posts to get a better understanding.

And I agree, we have to be reasonable. It seems the calorie cycling has worked well for you.

I played around on the site to get my up days and down days figured out. My DD are pretty low at 388 and my up days at 1900 or so.

So ketosis is not really a factor on the Judd diet?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
But I will also say that JUDDD is the one single eating plan that I have ever done that seems to have actually been able to increase metabolic rate for me!
THIS^^^^^ I am 53 and was a LCer for years, always losing my weight and keeping it off until I would give up because of all the restriction (at least the restrictions I felt with LCing). I actually started to gain weigh the less carbs I ate.

Not until I found JUDDD did my metabolism kick back in and the weight melted off. It's an easy, simple and effective way for us "older" women to eat and still loose or maintain, in my opinon!!

OH, and I tweaked my DDs to a number I knew would work well for me, and not by the sites suggestions. I ate at 700 cals on my DDs and the 1645 suggested on my UDs without a problem and lost on a steady pace the whole time!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 09-19-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #5

Linda,
so how did you pick your up and down days. Looking at a week for example, how does a JUDD week look like.

I am really leaning on doing this with a paleo style of eating.

Thanks for you and Pat answering.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
..........I played around on the site to get my up days and down days figured out. My DD are pretty low at 388 and my up days at 1900 or so.

So ketosis is not really a factor on the Judd diet?..........
Naw... ketosis isn't required to do JUDDD. You can eat very low carb and remain in ketosis, if you want to. I don't. The choice is yours.

Do be aware that IF you decide to do JUDDD at a higher carb level... and I'm not meaning real high carb, but just in the 100 to 150 (or so) carb area... that you will probably regain a little bit of that water weight you lost when you first started doing real low carb. That's just the way it goes. So you can stick to low carb and not carry any excess water weight, or you can eat higher carb and regain some of the lost water weight.

I opted for the latter. Frankly, I don't care if I have some water weight within my body, stored along with my carb fuel supply. LOL I'm not doing a ketogenic diet as I do the JUDDD calorie cycling plan. You may prefer to, however. We all get to choose what foods we're going to enjoy as we do this.

As to the calories you came up with for your DDs and UDs. Those sound very reasonable, and if you can stick with DDs as low as you have been given, you'll probably shrink fast! (We actually don't even have to eat anything on DDs if we don't want to.) But it might work almost as fast to do 500 calorie Down Days, and they're a bit easier to remain satisfied with.. I mean as far as not being hungry on the DDs. But you get to decide that too.

I am such a spoiled brat that I couldn't even stick to 500-calorie Down Days when I first started. I was hungry (whine, whine.....) I had to work myself down to that low calorie level, but it was worth it to get started, and very, very worth it to work down to 500-calorie days!

That has enabled me to put a BIG spread between my DD calories and my UD calories, and that, in turn, may be part of what has helped my metabolism increase nicely. Because I have low DDs, I am able to have higher UDs than I would otherwise be able to manage, because it's all averaged out between those two days. If my DDs were higher, my UDs would have to be lower, and I don't want that to happen. So this works for me.

I know you'll get it all figured out the way you find it works best for you. It's a pretty fun way to *diet*, especially when you stop to realize that you are actually only cutting down on food and cutting out anything at all on half of your days! The other half of your days, you're eating like royalty!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #7

Thanks Pat.

I have done rounds of the HCG diet and was often in the 380 calorie zone so I could use my old fitdays to target that. It was doable as long as I made home made broth and hot teas.

What is your Judd schedule?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Linda,
so how did you pick your up and down days. Looking at a week for example, how does a JUDD week look like.

I am really leaning on doing this with a paleo style of eating.

Thanks for you and Pat answering.
Look here, this may help, just click on the blue numbers under the Food catagory, these are my calories for the day:

Guest - Food and Exercise Overview
Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Pat.

I have done rounds of the HCG diet and was often in the 380 calorie zone so I could use my old fitdays to target that. It was doable as long as I made home made broth and hot teas.

What is your Judd schedule?

I do every other day as Up Day - Down Day. I occasionally stick a Medium Day into the rotation if I need to push my rotation off by one day, perhaps to make an upcoming Up Day land on the same date as an upcoming social occasion.

I go through periods of maintenance, and occasionally enter into a weight loss mode to bring my weight down slightly, into my maintenance area a bit lower, and occasionally I get the idea that I'd like to drop a few pounds lighter. (That's me in my avatar.. not real fat anymore, but not real skinny either. LOL)

My DDs are usually about 500 calories. My UDs are usually about 1,900 calories. Although lately I'm planning them to top out closer to 2,200 calories. I'm wanting to see what that level will do for me. Occasionally they have gone beyond 2,500 calories by so much that I almost had a heart attack when I found out. And guess what happened?

I realized that it's stupid of me not to measure my foods and plan my calories on UDs just as I do on my DDs, because I'm a person who can get way off track very easily. For myself, it's a BIG mistake not to measure all food and not to count calories every day!

And secondly, if that Up, Up and Away Day doesn't happen with regularity, it doesn't hurt me at all!!!!! Wow.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #10

hmmmm. The link opened but not the details of your day to day.

How long have you been Judding for?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #11

Thats great Pat. I kinda like the idea of a medium day...just in case.
We travel once a month to the vacation house and it may work out for me then to not panic if I cannot do a perfect low day.

I think you look great
Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
hmmmm. The link opened but not the details of your day to day.

How long have you been Judding for?
I'm assuming you are talking to me, so.......sorry about not being able to see my day to day. I started out doing 700 on DD and 1645 on UD. Now I'm in maintaince and doing 825 to 850 on DD and still the 1645 on UD. I usually don't get that high on UDs but I try to get close. DDs I try to eat right up to the calories I have because if I don't I continue to lose.

I have only being Juddding for 6 weeks, and I'm NOT an expert by any means, just know how it's working for me and what I have done.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Welcome Stevie! Hope you decide to join us in Juddding! I think those who have done HCG will find the DD's a doddle...not a shock to the system like some of us regular Lcarbers!

Hi Pat! You always post such sensible and interesting Juddd info, I am seriously considering printing them off and keeping them...i have learnt more from you (and Beeb) than I did from the book!

And Beeb...I nearly fell over when I read your age...I thought we were the same age..40....you look GOOD girl!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Hi Pat! You always post such sensible and interesting Juddd info, I am seriously considering printing them off and keeping them...i have learnt more from you (and Beeb) than I did from the book!

Isn't she just the wisest of ladies!! We are so lucky to have her with us on our JUDDD JOURNEY!!

And Beeb...I nearly fell over when I read your age...I thought we were the same age..40....you look GOOD girl!

It pays to keep back from the camera! Thanks so much, you are a sweetie!!

hugs
Jo
x
What I have said in bold!!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Thats great Pat. I kinda like the idea of a medium day...just in case.
We travel once a month to the vacation house and it may work out for me then to not panic if I cannot do a perfect low day.

I think you look great
That sounds very doable, doesn't it. How lovely to be able to enjoy a vacation house so often. Just a nice change of pace from everyday life, I'll bet.

And I think the MD is a Godsend sometimes. I normally just alternate the two, but whenever I want to change that rotation for any reason, I treasure the MD!