Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   MMMmmm Scones! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/735679-mmmmmm-scones.html)

Joedi 09-15-2011 01:54 PM

MMMmmm Scones!

Those of you who read my posts will know I have been craving a scone! Well Beeb kindly sent me the recipe below....which I tweeked a bit to replace ingredients I didnt have.

Well they were DELICIOUS..gorgeous, apple & cinnamon, with a crunch of walnut! :up:

DH actually said they were "the best yet" and I have been making scones for us since we got married 16 years ago..so this was real praise.:kicking:

Thanks to juddd, I can enjoy one on any UD I like...and they are still low enough carb not to set off cravings.

Beebs recipe is below...with my tweeks in bold. Next ones will be cherry & coconut....yum!

Nancy's Cinnamon Walnut Scone

Topping:
2 Tbs granular sweetener
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Ingredients:
2 cups Carbquik ( 3/4 cup almond flour, 3/4 cup coconut flour, 1/2 cup oat fiber)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (or any other nut of choice) (18g walnuts, small chopped apple)
1/3 cup LC Milk or Heavy Cream (Skimmed milk)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup granular sweetener or equivalent liquid sweetener (1/2 cup erythritol, 1/4 tsp stevia)
1 tsp vanilla extract
(1 tsp glucomannan to offset the drying effect of oat fiber)
1 TBS heavy cream (1 T skimmed milk)

Original recipe per scone (makes 6) -With granular sweetener per scone:

267 cals, 23g fat, 8g protein, 19g carbs, 12g fiber....7 net carbs (using carbquik)

With my tweeks per scone
277 cals 19g fat, 10g protein, 19 carbs, 4 fiber... 15 net carbs
( i balanced the higher cal flours by using lower cal milk instead of cream...which bumped the carb count up a bit!)

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.

Mix the topping ingredients in a small container and put aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the baking powder and cinnamon into the Carbquik or nut flours. Cut in the butter and cream cheese until it resembles small peas. Add the nuts.

In a separate bowl, mix milk or heavy cream, egg, sweetener and vanilla.

Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just enough until the dough comes together. The dough will be sticky.

Turn the dough out onto a surface lightly dusted with Carbquik or the nut flour. Dust the top of the dough also and gently pat it to 1 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 inch biscuit cutter and carefully place on the baking sheet. Gently pat out the scraps of dough and cut out to make remaining scones.

Brush each scones with heavy cream and sprinkle each with topping mixture.

hugs
Jo
x

Beeb 09-18-2011 01:58 PM

:yummy::yummy::yummy::yummy::yummy:

SoHappy 09-18-2011 02:31 PM

I truly wish we could get clotted cream over here! My sister visited a friend in the Liverpool area, and was introduced to scones. Which we have here too, of course, and I bake them occasionally, especially my favorite blueberry recipe.

But, alas... no clotted cream. :sad:

I'm sure tickled that you get to enjoy the occasional scone once again though. :)

paulabob 09-19-2011 06:03 AM

I have to ask...what exactly IS clotted cream?

Thanks for the recipe - looks delicious!

Beeb 09-19-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulabob (Post 15016109)
I have to ask...what exactly IS clotted cream?

Thanks for the recipe - looks delicious!

Here you go!! Clotted cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SoHappy 09-19-2011 08:46 AM

I've made the *fake* American version for scones occasionally, and it's pretty darned good if you can't have the real thing.

Mix some heavy whipping cream into some mascarpone cheese until spreadable but not runny at all. You can mix in a tiny bit of sugar too, and maybe a tiny bit of vanilla if you want.

Or, you can just smear butter on it if you want to top it with jam. Mostly we just eat them plain, with coffee & cream. But then, they're usually sprinkled over with sugar crystals, so don't need much else! :laugh:

Joedi 09-20-2011 03:38 AM

I treated my self to a tub when I started low carb! It came from a farm shop, in a little round tub, and had a thick yellow crust on top. It was so delicious I would have some every time I opened the fridge! Haven't bought it forca while.. just too damned addictive!
I am one of those weird people who like their scones plain.. Lol!
Hugs
Jo
X