Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   DD and feeling incredibly sick (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/735007-dd-feeling-incredibly-sick.html)

muffin_maiden 09-11-2011 04:42 PM

DD and feeling incredibly sick
 
Wondering if this is common. I almost passed out standing up earlier. I've had a little over 500 calories today for my DD. I had protein shakes for the calories since I wanted to get an accurate calorie count. I'm completely hydrated (had over a gallon of water so far today) so I know its not that.

Starting to wonder if this WOE is really going to work for me, not because it won't work but weather or not I can stick to it. I'm an extremely busy person and I'm really concerned that 500 calories every other day isn't going to give me the fuel I need, even with the perscribed 2600 on UD's.

Advise, please. Should I call off my DD early and go eat something?

Beeb 09-11-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin_maiden (Post 14994315)
Wondering if this is common. I almost passed out standing up earlier. I've had a little over 500 calories today for my DD. I had protein shakes for the calories since I wanted to get an accurate calorie count. I'm completely hydrated (had over a gallon of water so far today) so I know its not that.

Starting to wonder if this WOE is really going to work for me, not because it won't work but weather or not I can stick to it. I'm an extremely busy person and I'm really concerned that 500 calories every other day isn't going to give me the fuel I need, even with the perscribed 2600 on UD's.

Advise, please. Should I call off my DD early and go eat something?

Up your DD calories and see what happens. Give yourself, like I did, about 200 calories more upping your DD to 700 and see how you feel. If you decide to try this, give yourself those calories today/now.

HTH! :console:

muffin_maiden 09-11-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 14994365)
Up your DD calories and see what happens. Give yourself, like I did, about 200 calories more upping your DD to 700 and see how you feel. If you decide to try this, give yourself those calories today/now.

HTH! :console:

Thanks, Linda! I'll try that on my next DD, definitely. I actually did faint standing up right after I wrote that message board post. My boyfriend was not happy about it and insisted I eat. It was the first time I've told him what I'm doing and he is actually really upset about it. I'm going to have to convince him I'm not starving myself.

So if I up my DD calories by 200, should I reduce my UD calories by the same amount?

Maryo 09-11-2011 05:44 PM

I would think it would be fine to reduce your UD calories to 2400. 700 on the DD would still be less than 30% of that, so you'd have a substantial difference between UD and DD while keeping your average calories the same. The difference (percentage and absolute) between my DDs and UDs isn't as large as your difference would be and the plan still works for me.

SoHappy 09-11-2011 05:50 PM

Oh, My Dear. :hugs: Truthfully I can't answer your concern. I wish I could.

In reality, we are carrying around, in our fat stores, all the fuel we'd need for a long, long time, even if we don't eat for days. That's what it's there for.

JUDDD is one of the *fasting* plans, and the whole object of fasting is to force our body to access the fuel we have stored in our fat cells and use it, rather than use food in our stomach for fuel. Because, remember.. this is basically an eating plan that was based on calorie restriction studies, and much of the benefit was from intermittent fasting, as in every other day. But it was found to work about as well if the dieters were allowed to have 500 calories on their *fasting* days, so that's how the plan developed.

I do think that sometimes when we aren't used to not eating very much, we are so hungry, and that does make us feel unwell, even a bit sick to our stomach, etc. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to for most of us. I'm wondering if you wouldn't do better for awhile here if you upped your DD calories to about 750 and then held your UD calories to about 2,500. That is a robust Up Day, so should do very well for you, but when it's averaged with DDs of 750 calories, it should allow for weight loss.

And in the meantime, you'd be getting used to low calorie Down Days, but just not as low as you're attempting right now. And then, after another month or so, you could drop those DD calories to about 600 calories, and the month after that you could drop to 500 calories on your DDs, and by then your tummy and brain would probably be pretty used to the whole idea. LOL I know it was almost impossible for me to stick to 500-cal DDs when I started, but I'm completely used to them by now, and I have no more ill effects these days.

Hugs! :hugs:

Beeb 09-11-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 14994482)
Oh, My Dear. :hugs: Truthfully I can't answer your concern. I wish I could.

In reality, we are carrying around, in our fat stores, all the fuel we'd need for a long, long time, even if we don't eat for days. That's what it's there for.

JUDDD is one of the *fasting* plans, and the whole object of fasting is to force our body to access the fuel we have stored in our fat cells and use it, rather than use food in our stomach for fuel. Because, remember.. this is basically an eating plan that was based on calorie restriction studies, and much of the benefit was from intermittent fasting, as in every other day. But it was found to work about as well if the dieters were allowed to have 500 calories on their *fasting* days, so that's how the plan developed.

I do think that sometimes when we aren't used to not eating very much, we are so hungry, and that does make us feel unwell, even a bit sick to our stomach, etc. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to for most of us. I'm wondering if you wouldn't do better for awhile here if you upped your DD calories to about 750 and then held your UD calories to about 2,500. That is a robust Up Day, so should do very well for you, but when it's averaged with DDs of 750 calories, it should allow for weight loss.

And in the meantime, you'd be getting used to low calorie Down Days, but just not as low as you're attempting right now. And then, after another month or so, you could drop those DD calories to about 600 calories, and the month after that you could drop to 500 calories on your DDs, and by then your tummy and brain would probably be pretty used to the whole idea. LOL I know it was almost impossible for me to stick to 500-cal DDs when I started, but I'm completely used to them by now, and I have no more ill effects these days.

Hugs! :hugs:

I TOTALLY agree with Pat's suggestion (in bold above). Up the DDs but kinda leave the UDs alone. ;)

SoHappy 09-11-2011 06:36 PM

Beeb, I think you and I both were zeroing in at very similar UD and DD calories in our suggestions! :laugh:

You can always lower the UD calories if this doesn't result in any loss, or fast enough loss, but no reason to go too low right off the bat if it isn't going to be necessary! :D

muffin_maiden 09-11-2011 06:49 PM

Thanks, Pat, Linda, and Mary! I think I will try to stick to this for another week or so and see if it gets better. So today really ended up being another UD since my boyfriend was insistent on me eating enough before he went home. I'm wondering if I should take a few days going back to LC/high fat and cut out all the grains again. Maybe if I load up on real fat and protein instead of carbs on my UD's it will make the DD's easier.

Beeb 09-11-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin_maiden (Post 14994611)
Thanks, Pat, Linda, and Mary! I think I will try to stick to this for another week or so and see if it gets better. So today really ended up being another UD since my boyfriend was insistent on me eating enough before he went home. I'm wondering if I should take a few days going back to LC/high fat and cut out all the grains again. Maybe if I load up on real fat and protein instead of carbs on my UD's it will make the DD's easier.

I think maybe you should do what is feeling right for you right now. If LC/high fat feels good, then do it.

I eat higher fats and proteins and but I also eat higher carbs on my UDs, always have, but this is what works for me. High Fat/Protein alone didn't work, thus here I am on JUDDD. When I eat this way it seems to make the DDs easier because I think I'm just really full from eating so many more calories for an UD that when the DD comes I'm just not hungry. I had a piece of bacon this morning and then a little snack at lunch and it wasn't until dinner that I got hungry and ate most of my calories for today's DD.

I will suggest, though that you stick to what ever you decide for a bit to see how it's working for you. And like I tell everyone; It's not a race, but a way of eating to make you feel healthy and good. If you are not feeling this way then you may need to look into other opinions.

Hoping you can make this work for you, though! ;):hugs:

momof3heathens 09-11-2011 09:44 PM

I know for myself if I don't have a lot of errands to run or be out in the heat I can easily managed on 500 or less calories but add in having to go out and run around and I just can not deal. I get woozy and light headed. I keep well hydrated on those particular days so I don't think that is an issue.

muffin_maiden 09-12-2011 05:51 AM

So I sat down with myself and had a long, hard talk. I'm going to have to reformulate this plan if I want it to work.

So, taking Linda, Mary, and Pat's suggestions, I'm going to raise my DD calories to 750 and lower my UD calories to about 2000-2300. I'm going to base my numbers on the ones the site gives me for 'little or no exercise' because some weeks my exercise is sporadic and I don't want to overeat. I'm also going to eat all my DD calories in one evening meal, since I am used to doing that anyway during IF weeks.

The biggest change, though, will have to be the switch back to LC. I had a lot of fun feeling free to grab whatever I wanted to eat, but my system definitely did not have fun. By the time I went to bed last night, a week of indulging in wheat caught up to me and I just felt horrid. I'm going to follow the Protein Power guidelines for carbs per day, so that means 10 per meal max. I'll just have to fill up on lots of salads!

Thank you everyone for the support! I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to go through this with!

Have a great day! :D

SoHappy 09-12-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin_maiden (Post 14995323)
So I sat down with myself and had a long, hard talk. I'm going to have to reformulate this plan if I want it to work.

So, taking Linda, Mary, and Pat's suggestions, I'm going to raise my DD calories to 750 and lower my UD calories to about 2000-2300. I'm going to base my numbers on the ones the site gives me for 'little or no exercise' because some weeks my exercise is sporadic and I don't want to overeat. I'm also going to eat all my DD calories in one evening meal, since I am used to doing that anyway during IF weeks.

The biggest change, though, will have to be the switch back to LC. I had a lot of fun feeling free to grab whatever I wanted to eat, but my system definitely did not have fun. By the time I went to bed last night, a week of indulging in wheat caught up to me and I just felt horrid. I'm going to follow the Protein Power guidelines for carbs per day, so that means 10 per meal max. I'll just have to fill up on lots of salads!

Thank you everyone for the support! I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to go through this with!

Have a great day! :D

Yay! Sounds like a great plan!

I think the most important thing is to get in the habit of JUDDD. So having a 750 calorie DD is more important by far than not being able to get through DDs at all because you are trying to hold them so low. And UDs in the vicinity of 2,000 to 2,300 sounds very reasonable and a good place to start.

You can always adjust your calorie figures later if need be. But the important thing is to begin to make *following JUDDD* a successful undertaking.

And I expect you just hit the highest of the carbs too much and too often. That can be quite a jolt. :laugh: Not saying that someday you won't fare better, but that's a possibility for your future right now, not a recommendation for the foods you want to eat at this time.

I think that because JUDDD has no food lists and all foods are allowed, some of us jump on that fact in order to go back to eating all those all carby choices that brought us to this overweight place of trouble to begin with! Not a very good idea for most of us here. Out there where there is some little thing who is 7 pounds overweight and desperate to lose it (horror) maybe she won't have a problem with the carbs. For most of us, a little of that goes a long way.

Once you're established in doing JUDDD and not having much problem in actually measuring your foods and knowing you are doing your calories correctly, when doing JUDDD has become almost a habit, then maybe you'll be ready to add back in another carb food or two. In the meantime, Protein Power food lists are certainly a good choice.

Good luck! I know you'll do great with your new resolve and your new plan!!!!! :hugs:

Maryo 09-12-2011 07:02 AM

Muffin, that sounds like a plan. If low carb was working for you before, it probably makes sense to stick with it - no reason to mess with success. I've gleaned from reading lots of posts on here that many of the folks who upped their carbs on JUDDD are those for whom VLC wasn't working all that well or those who are trying to maintain rather than lose. I hope the tweak in calories will work for you and allow you to feel better.

Joedi 09-12-2011 08:56 AM

I am so pleased you decided to post, instead of giving up! :high5:

When I started, (all of 2 weeks ago!) I set myself 700 cals....and needed every one for the first day or two.

As I expored the juddd recipe pages, I found out what were the most filling foods I could have, and gradually, my dd calories reduced. Just knowing i had 700 cals if I wanted, made me relax more about my food...for me, I kind of paniced worrying about being hungry!

I would highly recommend shirataki noodles, glucomannan and any of ouizoids recipes...esp those using oat fiber! (Lf/Lc choc OMM is HUGE and very filling, for practically no cals or carbs!)

I am honestly amazed at just how much I can have on a DD, using these ingredients...plus low carb veg and lean protein....I hardly feel hungry at all now.

I can symapthise with you for having your DBF get angry with you...to most people 500 cals spells extreme dieting.

I havent dared tell my DH that I am doing juddd....he would think it was the return of my ed!

keep us posted as to how you are doing!

hugs
Jo
x

SoHappy 09-12-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedi (Post 14995972)
..........I am honestly amazed at just how much I can have on a DD..........to most people 500 cals spells extreme dieting..........I havent dared tell my DH that I am doing juddd....he would think it was the return of my ed!..........

For my way of thinking, 500 calories can be so little food you hardly feel like you've eaten anything, or it can be a plateful, heaped with food and vital nutrition and goodness, and something that would make observers think you were really eating well! It all depends on how you feel best on your DDs, what you want to make your meals of.

But certainly no reason to be feeling particularly hungry on a DD. That's a misconception that I had when I first started too. Once you learn the ropes and get a routine going of what you're eating on those days, it becomes an easy peasy thing to handle.

muffin_maiden 09-12-2011 12:03 PM

I think I'm going to be able to get along just fine on 750 calories, especially if I consolidate it down to one meal like I would normally do on my IF days.

Today's DD menu came out to 742 calories, 12 net carbs, 44g fat and 70g protein. I'm eating:

Snack: 0.8 ounces cheddar and 1 regular slim jim

Dinner: 1.5 cups green beans sauteed with 6 strips of bacon, 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, 1/4 cup fresh onions....6 ounces grilled chicken breast dipped in a homemade "cocktail sauce" of sugar free ketchup mixed with prepared horseradish.

I'm quite sure this will be tons more filling than the failed liquid experiment yesterday!

SoHappy 09-12-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin_maiden (Post 14996627)
I think I'm going to be able to get along just fine on 750 calories, especially if I consolidate it down to one meal like I would normally do on my IF days.

Today's DD menu came out to 742 calories, 12 net carbs, 44g fat and 70g protein. I'm eating:

Snack: 0.8 ounces cheddar and 1 regular slim jim

Dinner: 1.5 cups green beans sauteed with 6 strips of bacon, 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, 1/4 cup fresh onions....6 ounces grilled chicken breast dipped in a homemade "cocktail sauce" of sugar free ketchup mixed with prepared horseradish.

I'm quite sure this will be tons more filling than the failed liquid experiment yesterday!

Sounds fabulous! Good job!

You didn't mention when you wanted us to arrive.....?????

Beeb 09-12-2011 01:49 PM

Sounds like you got YOUR JUDDD way well in hand and I'm :aprayer: it works for you!! Make sure to keep us posted on your progress!! :high5:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 AM.