Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffin_maiden
Stats: Doesn't matter/its a number/healthy
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 2011
Anyone tried doing liquids only on DD's?

I bought almond milk yesterday and have some protein powder here at home and I'm thinking about doing just protein shakes on my DD's for awhile. I can't seem to get enough protein in on my DD's and end up starving for most of it. Plus the volume of the protein shakes should be more physically filling, I'd think.

Has anyone else tried to do just liquids for DD's? Seems like it would simplify things.
muffin_maiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin_maiden View Post
I bought almond milk yesterday and have some protein powder here at home and I'm thinking about doing just protein shakes on my DD's for awhile. I can't seem to get enough protein in on my DD's and end up starving for most of it. Plus the volume of the protein shakes should be more physically filling, I'd think.

Has anyone else tried to do just liquids for DD's? Seems like it would simplify things.
The JUDDD plan actually suggests using liquid shakes for the DDs for the first two weeks. This is based on the absolute ease in having your food right there at your fingertips with no fuss or muss involved, and also based on the ease for the dieter to keep track of their daily calories in keeping their DDs accurate. Easier than having to measure out all the food to know that you truly are keeping to your 500 calories on DDs.

But there is certainly no reason you can't make your shakes at home. I just replenished my stock of almond milks on Friday, so will be joining you in making some shakes. This time of year I like spicy shakes, so do pumpkin pie shakes and looking into a spiced apple flavored shake or maybe something that tastes like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. LOL My favorites are still just chocolate or chocolate/coffee, but I'm going to be trying one of the berry shakes Donna wrote about!

Do you have glucomannan powder? That does help make shakes thicker and more filling.

Last edited by SoHappy; 09-11-2011 at 06:13 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
The JUDDD plan actually suggests using liquid shakes for the DDs for the first two weeks. This is based on the absolute ease in having your food right there at your fingertips with no fuss or muss involved, and also based on the ease for the dieter to keep track of their daily calories in keeping their DDs accurate. Easier than having to measure out all the food to know that you truly are keeping to your 500 calories on DDs.

But there is certainly no reason you can't make your shakes at home. I just replenished my stock of almond milks on Friday, so will be joining you in making some shakes. This time of year I like spicy shakes, so do pumpkin pie shakes and looking into a spiced apple flavored shake or maybe something that tastes like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. LOL My favorites are still just chocolate or chocolate/coffee, but I'm going to be trying one of the berry shakes Donna wrote about!

Do you have glucomannan powder? That does help make shakes thicker and more filling.
Thanks, Pat! I made up a huge pitcher of protein shakes with some strawberries thrown in. Came to 510 calories for the entire thing. I would order some glucomannan powder but I'm rather broke right now. Might order it in the future, though!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks, Pat! I made up a huge pitcher of protein shakes with some strawberries thrown in. Came to 510 calories for the entire thing. I would order some glucomannan powder but I'm rather broke right now. Might order it in the future, though!
Yeah, I know how the money situation can sometimes mean you have to wait for things. If you ever get to make the particular purchase. I really scrimp on my grocery budget sometimes to cover something else, but you can only cut it back so far in any given month. I still don't have my oat fiber or my spiral slicer to make zucchini noodles. But I'm trying to get some work done around here, so every extra penny is getting set aside to pay the guy who works for me.

But I'm waiting for DH to come home from Mass this morning. He's such a good Catholic boy! And then he gets bacon and eggs and buttered toast, and I'm looking forward to a coffee shake to start my DD.

Enjoy your shakes today.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
When I was doing my strict "induction" and limited myself to 300-350 calories on down days, I tried doing liquids only, but between the almond milk and a full scoop of protein powder, 3 a day put me over my DD calorie limit. There were a couple days when I had 2 shakes and then an oat fiber muffin (very few calories and very filling), but I missed veggies and quickly went back to 1 shake and some real food of the bulky, low calorie variety. That just worked better for me. I find the shakes filling (especially if you add a little gluc powder) and yummy, so I could have had 3 a day and been full, I just wouldn't have been satisfied.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
When I was doing my strict "induction" and limited myself to 300-350 calories on down days, I tried doing liquids only, but between the almond milk and a full scoop of protein powder, 3 a day put me over my DD calorie limit. There were a couple days when I had 2 shakes and then an oat fiber muffin (very few calories and very filling), but I missed veggies and quickly went back to 1 shake and some real food of the bulky, low calorie variety. That just worked better for me. I find the shakes filling (especially if you add a little gluc powder) and yummy, so I could have had 3 a day and been full, I just wouldn't have been satisfied.
I think this is an important point you make, Mary. We don't question that JUDDD allows us to eat anything and design our diet as it pleases us, so should certainly allow us to be very satisfied on our Up Days. But truthfully, sticking to only 500 calories on Down Days (or whatever low number works for the individual) just plainly is restrictive, so our freedom to make those calories as delicious and filling as can be so that we can be satisfied is important on those DDs days!

I enjoy the occasional shake, and am going to make some for today's DD, as I want to experiment with some new flavors, but usually I want something to CHEW ON on my DDs. (Other than my arm.)
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I enjoy the occasional shake, and am going to make some for today's DD, as I want to experiment with some new flavors, but usually I want something to CHEW ON on my DDs. (Other than my arm.)
That's about how I feel right now, but that's no different than any other DD. Thought about making a big pot of rice because at least rice is bulky and filling. Just can't wait till midnight when the day switches over. I'll be up doing homework I'm sure so when the clock ticks 12, I'm all over some solid food!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
That's about how I feel right now, but that's no different than any other DD. Thought about making a big pot of rice because at least rice is bulky and filling. Just can't wait till midnight when the day switches over. I'll be up doing homework I'm sure so when the clock ticks 12, I'm all over some solid food!
LOL My 24-hour period isn't from Midnight to Midnight, as I don't stay up quite that late usually, so my *day* is from when I get up in the morning until I go to sleep for the night. That means my *day* usually doesn't end until after I get in my evening snack!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Pat, please let us know what flavor shakes you're trying out and whether they're good enough to make it onto your regular rotation. I am loving pumpkin shakes right now, but I'm sure at some point I'll tire of them and be looking for something else.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
Pat, please let us know what flavor shakes you're trying out and whether they're good enough to make it onto your regular rotation. I am loving pumpkin shakes right now, but I'm sure at some point I'll tire of them and be looking for something else.
Right now I'm wanting a coffee shake with a fairly strong flavor, much like those frappuccinos in the bottles. Working on it. This morning's shake was merely OK. And by that I mean.. disappointing.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: firefighterlady
Stats: 270/257.6/170 5'11 26yrs
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: august 2011
Where are these pumpkin shakes located???
firefighterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterlady View Post
Where are these pumpkin shakes located???
YES....Me too!!! I think the pumpkin shake recipe is in our recipe thread, but I can't seem to find it!

I never did shakes, even in the beginning. I can't "drink" my meals because I, too need to CHEW!!! This is why my DDs are crock FULL of veggies, every kind under the rainbow lately. They give me that chew I need and also fill my up real good!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #13

Pumpkin shakes are truly whatever you want them to be, and for DDs.. they are whatever calories you can put into them, or how few calories you have to use to concoct them.

I'm drinking one right now. It's a dessert type meal, sweet and thick and very pumpkin-pie flavored, and loaded with vitamins A and E. And pretty decadent for a Down Day!

This evening I made it with:
1 cup unsweetened Vanilla flavored Almond Milk
4 big ice cubes
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup pumpkin pulp, canned
1/4 cup Maple Farms ZERO calorie Maple syrup
1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
about 3/4 tsp glucomannan powder

Blend until the ice is completely blended in and it has thickened a bit... This is very much like a slice of pumpkin pie. A nice spice flavor to the pumpkin, and it even smells pumpkin-spicy too, so fun for this season. Makes me think of the leaves turning colors and the days chilling down.

The way this one was concocted, it has 160 calories and 24 net carbs. So this is a bit higher in calories than you might make it if you couldn't spare the cals. And also, this doesn't have any protein powder in it, which I might have added if I had any Vanilla powder on hand. But then the calories would have been even higher.

This is very filling! And delicious. Yum!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Here's the recipe for the pumpkin shake I made this morning:

3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/3 cup canned pumpkin (just pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling), frozen
1 tbsp. no carb/no fat vanilla flavored whey protein isolate (half a scoop)
1 tbsp. DaVinci vanilla syrup
1 tbsp. DaVinci pumpin pie syrup
pumpkin pie spice

This is my down day recipe. It has 100 calories, about 8 carbs (5 net).

On an up day, I'd use a full cup of almond milk, a full scoop of protein powder and add an egg. If I want it thicker, I add gluc powder. I freeze my canned pumpkin (in 1/3 cup portions) for two reasons - first, I only have the really big cans and I'm worried about using it up fast enough once I open a can, and second, if the pumpkin is frozen I don't need to add ice. Many folks who aren't worried about the calories and want some extra fat use HWC and water instead of almond milk. Also, if you don't have DaVinci syrup, you can use vanilla extract, your choice of artificial sweetener and maybe some cinnamon or extra pumpkin pie spice.

I just discovered these (found the recipe on LCF and modified for my needs) and I am really enjoying them!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Thanks Pat and Maryo for the recipes!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Pat - GMTA and all that - I have been working on an apple shake, too! So far I have one I don't like, and one I like pretty well but still needs "something." The one I like:

1 cup unsweetened Silk almond milk (35 cals)
1 packet Alpine SF Spiced Cider Mix ( 10 cals)
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (120 cals)
1 tea bag apple cinnamon flavor (I use Celestial Seasonings) (0 Cals)
1 cup ice cubes
1/2 tsp gluc powder
A couple tbs DaVinci's syrup (I've used cinnamon and caramel and like both)
OR
1 drop or two of liquid Splenda

I stuck the tea bag in the almond milk and stuck it in the microwave to warm up and let it steep for a while and cool.

This makes a big, good shake but it is missing the bulk that I get from the frozen berries in my berry shake. I need to pick up some apples at the store and try using a fresh apple in it. BUT...it's close, and I kind of hate to "spend" another 50 or more calories on it if I can just get it a little richer somehow.

The one I don't like, I made using all brewed apple cinnamon tea for the liquid and no almond milk. It was too icy and not worth the minimal difference in calories.

I also tried these using actual spices instead of the tea and cider mixes, but like the tea and cider mix better - YMMV.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Penguin, that sounds tasty - I definitely have to try that. Do you get the spiced cider mix at the regular grocery store? I've never seen it, but then again I've never looked.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
I get it at WalMart usually. I think it's about $2.50 a box - it's by the hot chocolate mixes there.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote