Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I Was Wrong About Shitataki Noodles!

(Beeb hanging her head in shame ) I used this tonight for my grilled veggie pasta dish. Washed really good, boiled for 10 minutes, then pan fried until dry and it took almost all the rubbery texture away!

I'm so happy because I do like noodles and now I can have them on a DD, too!

Thanks for the tips on making these noodles so good!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
You boiled them?
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
You boiled them?
Yes, for 10 minutes like I saw on a site somewhere that said it takes all the rubber texture away. THEN, I pan fried them, too.

It did the trick!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #4

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
It took away the rubber band texture? For realz? Hmmm maybe I can try it again.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey View Post
I was pretty happy with them once I learned to pan fry them for awhile. That really helped. But I've never tried boiling them. Never occurred to me. They already seem *cooked* and soft...

Maybe I'll try boiling them next time. I'm so curious.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
I tried making the homemade noodles today from the glucomanan powder and so far my results are terrible. I didn't realize how quickly the stuff gelled. Even when I tried making a slurry it got so thick I couldn't do anything with it. Well, once I got a mixture I poured it onto a sheet pan and spread it out thin hoping to use a pizza cutter to slice it into noodles. As of this moment the mass looks solid but I could not cut it very well, I'm going to put it into the fridge to see if it sets up so I can cut into it tomorrow. I already have all of the ingredients to make a great stir fry I just hope I can do something with the stuff that will make it useable. I even tried putting some of the leftover slurry in my shake and it just stayed unpleasantly chunky.
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnyLass View Post
I tried making the homemade noodles today from the glucomanan powder and so far my results are terrible. I didn't realize how quickly the stuff gelled. Even when I tried making a slurry it got so thick I couldn't do anything with it. Well, once I got a mixture I poured it onto a sheet pan and spread it out thin hoping to use a pizza cutter to slice it into noodles. As of this moment the mass looks solid but I could not cut it very well, I'm going to put it into the fridge to see if it sets up so I can cut into it tomorrow. I already have all of the ingredients to make a great stir fry I just hope I can do something with the stuff that will make it useable. I even tried putting some of the leftover slurry in my shake and it just stayed unpleasantly chunky.
Boy, this sounds familiar. The stuff certainly doesn't behave anything like flour!

If I want to thicken a skillet full of meat stock for gravy, it will take a handful of flour... or a tiny teaspoon of glucomannon powder.

A single teaspoonful will thicken a pint of fluid pretty thick. This stiff does thicken up as it sets for a couple of minutes.

In order to really make our own noodles with the gluc powder, we also need lye water.. or something like that. If you mix the powder with water, when you cook the stuff, the water tries to cook back out.

PenguinPower Donna named my concoction GLUMPlings because they are ooey gooey sticky chewy GLucoLUMPs to eat. But very tasty if the fluid base is something delicious.

Watch here to see how to make cooked gluc.

shirataki noodle - YouTube" target="_blank">how to make ur own shirataki noodle - YouTube
Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey View Post
Yes, it took a lot of that "rubber band" texture away, not all, but so much so that it was TOTALLY eatable to me!

Wish I could find the 0 cal noodles around me! The only ones I can find are the 20 and 25 cal packages, but I will keep looking!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
Yes, it took a lot of that "rubber band" texture away, not all, but so much so that it was TOTALLY eatable to me!

Wish I could find the 0 cal noodles around me! The only ones I can find are the 20 and 25 cal packages, but I will keep looking!
OK, I'm beginning to think I understand what a little bit of the reason is about your noodles not being so rubber-bandy...

The true white *waterfall* shirataki noodles are 0 calorie.

The ones that are made with additional ingredients have calories. Those are mainly the inclusion of tofu or of seaweed. But those noodles are no longer pure white. But they also are a softer noodle, not quite as much like rubber bands.

This may be part of why different people report different experiences and attitudes about these noodles and their texture. They are actually experiencing the slightly differing textures of different types of gluc noodles.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #10

Quote:
OK, I'm beginning to think I understand what a little bit of the reason is about your noodles not being so rubber-bandy...

The true white *waterfall* shirataki noodles are 0 calorie.

The ones that are made with additional ingredients have calories. Those are mainly the inclusion of tofu or of seaweed. But those noodles are no longer pure white. But they also are a softer noodle, not quite as much like rubber bands.

This may be part of why different people report different experiences and attitudes about these noodles and their texture. They are actually experiencing the slightly differing textures of different types of gluc noodles.
That makes sense to me, also. I will find the 0 cal ones and try the same cooking method and let you all know what happens as far as texture goes.

These tofu noodles (not the white ones): are STILL a calorie bargain at 40 or 50 cals for the whole package for me!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Sorry to bust in but I boil the plain ones too, and they come out really good.
I get the flat (fettuccini type ones) at asianfoodgrocer, Rinse well, boil for 10 minutes then rinse again in cold water until they're room temp or cold, then add them to whatever dish I'm making.
I don't know if the shock of cold after hot is what works or not, but there's a noticeable texture difference after doing it that way.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
I've always rinsed them well, cut them up and then pan fried, and mine have been more rubbery than a normal spaghetti noodle, but certainly not rubber band texture and I've always enjoyed them (and bigger test - non-dieting 17 year old daughter likes them). I found that the pan frying dried them out and allowed them to soak up more of whatever liquid you marinated/sauteed them in (usually an Asian sauce in my case). I'd never heard of boiling them before. They sure don't look like they need boiling, but maybe I'll give it a try.

In any event, glad you liked them, Beeb! They're a great DD addition. I buy the no calorie kind at a local Asian market, and they're a godsend.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Sorry to bust in but I boil the plain ones too, and they come out really good.
I get the flat (fettuccini type ones) at asianfoodgrocer, Rinse well, boil for 10 minutes then rinse again in cold water until they're room temp or cold, then add them to whatever dish I'm making.
I don't know if the shock of cold after hot is what works or not, but there's a noticeable texture difference after doing it that way.
Thanks, Dottie. Hearing it from yet another just makes me come to a further conclusion, and it is that I don't have to chew on these things forever from this day forward! Hallelujah!

With your wisdom and voice joined with Linda's, I am now fully swayed in my belief, and will be enjoying tender noodles today for a Down Day dish of some sort!

Linda, I should never have doubted you!

Thanks, Dottie!

I'm sitting here LOLing and DH wonders what's so funny!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
I've always rinsed them well, cut them up and then pan fried, and mine have been more rubbery than a normal spaghetti noodle, but certainly not rubber band texture and I've always enjoyed them (and bigger test - non-dieting 17 year old daughter likes them). I found that the pan frying dried them out and allowed them to soak up more of whatever liquid you marinated/sauteed them in (usually an Asian sauce in my case). I'd never heard of boiling them before. They sure don't look like they need boiling, but maybe I'll give it a try.

In any event, glad you liked them, Beeb! They're a great DD addition. I buy the no calorie kind at a local Asian market, and they're a godsend.
Mary, your way of cooking them and using them is how I do it too. Before I found out about frying them up to dry them out a little, they were even more *rubberband* texture. You never really chewed them up.. you just chewed ON them for awhile, and then swallowed.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
just remember DONT FREEZE THEM!!
I cooked some soup, added the noodles, and froze a portion....BIGmistake...my nice noodles turned into cotton thread...tasty cotton thread, but not my preferred texture!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
I really like shirataki noodles too... I boiled them and just incorporated into my dish without pan-frying. I was pleasantly surprised!! I plan to have some for dinner!!
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Interesting info! I've wanted to try these for a long time, but since I've never made them before I fear I end up with a pot full of rubber bands
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
Interesting info! I've wanted to try these for a long time, but since I've never made them before I fear I end up with a pot full of rubber bands
No Guts.. No Glory!

I'm going to make something for this evening with the noodles, and I'm going to boil the heck out of them first!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #19

Quote:
No Guts.. No Glory!

I'm going to make something for this evening with the noodles, and I'm going to boil the heck out of them first!