Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cocoanut
Stats: 274/215/140 5'4"
WOE: VLC to prevent diabetes
Start Date: Feb 2011
Any Diabetics doing JUDDD?

My Fasting glucose has gone from averaging 120-130 to averaging 75-85. I lost 50 lbs quite easily when I began LC but now I'm stalled.

I am interested in JUDDD but am concerned about the DD. How do I eat so few calories and not add carbs? Will the change of diet on the DD and UD mess with my glucose levels?

BTW: I am pre-diabetic and not taking any meds. I'm managing my glucose totally with diet.
cocoanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
There are, Cocoanut. I think they just eat small amounts throughout their DDs, but I know others will be along to share with you.

My assumption would be that they eat of the low carb veggies, of egg whites or Eggbeaters, etc. to keep the calories down without bring the carbs up very high at all.

I'll also read their answers with interest.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
JUDDD does not require you to do low carb. While I understand your desire not to add
any more carbs to your diet you might think about that again. Adding a few carbs to
your DD may not be bad for your blood sugar. The simple fact that it is a low calorie day
helps with the blood sugar problem even if a lot of those calories are healthy carbs.

I am a type 2 diabetic and take the drug Byetta and have found this and the fast5 program to be good for me. While I did do good on low carb to when I stuck to it I
just couldn't stick with it. I find this program makes me feel like I am in controle of
my eating for the first time in many many years.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
JUDDD does not require you to do low carb. While I understand your desire not to add
any more carbs to your diet you might think about that again. Adding a few carbs to
your DD may not be bad for your blood sugar. The simple fact that it is a low calorie day
helps with the blood sugar problem even if a lot of those calories are healthy carbs.

I am a type 2 diabetic and take the drug Byetta and have found this and the fast5 program to be good for me. While I did do good on low carb to when I stuck to it I
just couldn't stick with it. I find this program makes me feel like I am in controle of
my eating for the first time in many many years.

I understand the fact that JUDDD does not require LC, but my health does.
I just don't understand how adding carbs can be good for glucose control. I am not taking any meds but controlling my glucose entirely with diet, a strict limitation of carbs.
Any explanation is greatly appreciated. Can you give a sample of your DD diet?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I do think there may be some mention that this may not be all that good for diabetics.
But it seems to be ok with my diabetes.
If your total calories on a DD are low a few more slow carbs probably won't bother
your blood sugar. Rember you will be eating less protein also and 1/2 of the protein
you eat is converted to blood sugar. Today I will have 2 cups of cabbage soup , one
cup of collard greens and 1/2 cup of pearl barley. By the way I know that that 1/2
cup of pearled barley won't raise my blood sugar any more than 8 oz of salmon.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You should know that in his book, Dr. Johnson warns that JUDDD may not work for most diabetics. I'm not sure of the science (he explains it), but several diabetics have tried in in my 2+ years on JUDDD and had to abandon it because of problems with their blood sugar on this plan.

Jenny (BloodSugar101) tried it and found it didin't work for her. She's an expert on diabetes but no longer on LCF. If you can contact her via her website, I'm sure she can explain the issues for a diabetic with JUDDD.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanut View Post
I understand the fact that JUDDD does not require LC, but my health does.
I just don't understand how adding carbs can be good for glucose control. I am not taking any meds but controlling my glucose entirely with diet, a strict limitation of carbs.
Any explanation is greatly appreciated. Can you give a sample of your DD diet?
Hi, cocoanut. Maybe post your question up in our main discussion thread for September too, for possible additional discussion.

I'm completely understanding of your concern.. a wish to be able to do JUDDD, combined with the need of being able to do it while still keeping good levels. Hopefully something can be figured out and adjusted one way or another to be of real value for you and be something that is completely do-able.

May I ask what daily net carb level you adhere to right now? And what vegetables you allow into your diet at this time? And what other foods are your staples. Maybe if we know how you already eat and care for yourself, we could offer some suggestions that would help you do JUDDD, or certainly a JUDDD-like alternating cycle.. close enough to gain many of the benefits while maintaining your bloodsugar levels where you want them. Especially if we know a little bit about how much you eat? And how often. Etc.

Hoping to have you be able to join us in JUDDD and find some of the benefits for yourself.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

A JUDDD- like alternating cycle is probably what I will seriously try. I began alternating foods very slightly, on Monday. My month long stall was broken. I lost a pound a day for 4 days.

After a few days, I went back and tracked my foods in ******. I'd not been logging there for a while. I was surprised that the days I had thought were DD were actually UD. One of my supposedly DD, I ate 1230 calories. On a UD, I only had 810 calories. I guess I'll have to re-learn calories.

I will try to create my own alternating cycle of foods and see if it works. I'll keep reading in the JUDDD forum and and the other site mentioned, trying to create my own style of eating. I WILL ask questions and tell my results.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoanut View Post
A JUDDD- like alternating cycle is probably what I will seriously try. I began alternating foods very slightly, on Monday. My month long stall was broken. I lost a pound a day for 4 days.

After a few days, I went back and tracked my foods in ******. I'd not been logging there for a while. I was surprised that the days I had thought were DD were actually UD. One of my supposedly DD, I ate 1230 calories. On a UD, I only had 810 calories. I guess I'll have to re-learn calories.

I will try to create my own alternating cycle of foods and see if it works. I'll keep reading in the JUDDD forum and and the other site mentioned, trying to create my own style of eating. I WILL ask questions and tell my results.
Wow about losing a pound a day after your month-long stall! Way to go on that!

And LOL about your high-calorie Down Day and your lower calorie Up Day. Yeah, it's weird to start thinking *calories* as anything important to weight loss after being so attuned to carbs and net carbs for awhile. But to do an alternating cycle of high-low calories (at whatever levels you deem necessary and correct for your needs) I really had to actually go back to rule #1 and measure out every portion of my foods and enter the calorie values. It worked so well for me, that I'm a believer for sure! Hope it works wonderfully for you too!!!!!

Do keep posting here with us. All that you will be learning about how to do this as a diabetic or pre-diabetic, may really be valuable advice and very interesting for others who are in your shoes who come here too. Obviously, staying low carb is advised and necessary. And being able to cycle calories is necessary to a calorie alternating plan. But how you are able to design your eating plan for the Down Days will be of interest.

Great good luck! I'll look forward to reading your posts here!