Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
JUDDD for SEPTEMBER: Discussions of Daily Life, Eating, Foods and Supplements

Welcome to the September JUDDD discussion thread. As usual, we start off with some basic information about this way of eating, posted again to start each new month, so that it is handy to refer back to when the need arises. This information is based on the directions from the JUDDD website.

JUDDD: Dr. Johnson's Up Day / Down Day Diet (sometimes referred to as The Alternate Day Diet)

- - - - -

Getting Started: There are only two phases of the JUDDD Plan: Weight Loss and Maintenance.

Down Days: To lose weight, calorie intake on the “Down” Day is limited, usually to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirements, although it is strongly recommended that calories be held to below 25% when starting this weight loss plan. (To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, Down Day calorie intake is kept at 50% to 60% of your Daily Calorie Needs figure.)

To determine your basic daily calorie needs, go to an online site such as freedieting or the JUDDD site, and use their Calorie Calculator. Then you can use the calorie figure given to calculate your Down Day calorie requirement. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate their "Activity" level, thereby giving themselves an artificially high calorie allowance for both their Up Days and their Down Days. To avoid this problem, it has been recommended that for the first two weeks you should consume no more than 500 calories on each Down Day, regardless of your activity level.

Up Days: On the following Up Days, you may eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat. It is recommended that your given Daily Calorie Needs figure be your guide.

The important principle of JUDDD is to adhere to the Down Day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat up to your calorie needs figure on your Up Days.

Hunger Management: The key to success on the Down Day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow.

Diet Stress: While most other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten, JUDDD does not. There are no intricate meal plans and menus required, no preparation of separate meals, and no need for the purchase of special expensive foods, costing you time and money and creating stress in your life. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the Up Day, and your choices are greatly simplified on the Down Day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood: We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days, which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the Up Day is unimportant compared to adhering to the Down Day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

Commitment: It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the Down Day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the Down Day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on an ongoing basis.

(We suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten. It is critically important to guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.)

Weight Loss: How much you lose depends on several factors. The average in JUDDD studies was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You may wish to weigh yourself only on the morning after a Down Day and not more often than once a week if normal weight fluctuations lead to frustration for you.

What People On The Diet Have To Say: “I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago, which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on a diet.” – Heidi P.

“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.

“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.

“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.

For more information: You may wish to read Dr. Johnson's book, The Alternate Day Diet.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #2

Do any of the rest of you feel like the month of August just flew by? It's almost hard to believe that this is the first day of September, and a whole new month is underway. Let's make it a good one!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #3

Good Morning, fellow JUDDDers!

Yay! I lost more than a pound from yesterday morning to this morning... 1.4 pounds to be exact. Fun scale reading this morning. I think the fluctuations the scale takes are almost inspirational! LOL If the weight is up a little, it encourages me to have a really good day, so that I can bring that number back down. And if the scale is down a bit, it encourages me to have a really good day, so that I can keep the good losing streak going. LOL Either way, I weigh once a day, each morning, and try to use the read-out to motivate myself for a good day.

Hope you're all happy with your scales this morning.

I'm planning on making September a great weight loss month. Heavier clothes and heavier fabrics are right around the corner with the coming cold weather. I think being a bit slimmer would be good, so *my clothing* doesn't make me look a bit heavy.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
LOL, SoHappy. I don't need my clothes to make me look heavy - I can do that quite well on my own!! But I'd like to have a great September so I can fit into my size 12 long pants. My 16s are baggy and I don't want to have to buy new clothes. With vanity sizing alive and well, the 12's in the stores fit me with room to spare, but not the 12's in my closet. So there's a goal - lose 10 lbs. fast before I have to put the shorts away.

You are so right, though - August flew. My kids are all back in school now and things are way more hectic now. I miss summer already.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: firefighterlady
Stats: 270/257.6/170 5'11 26yrs
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: august 2011
SoHappy oh my goddness yes August was gone in the blink of an eye. I am so excited for this crisp fall weather though!!

I can't fully believe I am down 11 lbs since 8/22 I have never had a diet work this quickly, not even atkins! Towards the middle of this month I am going to incorporate a better workout program. Ive really only been walking here and there...I want to be thin AND healthy!

And congrats on the 1.4 loss!!

Last edited by firefighterlady; 09-01-2011 at 06:06 AM..
firefighterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Morning Sohappy!
Are you on an UD too?
Last sunday I weighed myself for the first time since starting L/C...it nly took me 5 months!
Well I was 146.5 (I am 5ft 6") I had guesstimated I would be 147...so very close!
Today, after my first DD I couldnt resit getting on the scales....I was 143!
Needless to say I was very pleased...though I dont dare own it all...yet!
I had been doing 1500 cals a day lc, so some is probably from that...and I may have had a woosh...but...what a great start to my JUDDD!

Do you weigh daily Sohappy, and chart it? not sure if I would DARE after an UD!

Big hugs, and happy september!
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
I don't need my clothes to make me look heavy - I can do that quite well on my own!! But I'd like to have a great September so I can fit into my size 12 long pants. My 16s are baggy and I don't want to have to buy new clothes. With vanity sizing alive and well, the 12's in the stores fit me with room to spare, but not the 12's in my closet. So there's a goal - lose 10 lbs. fast before I have to put the shorts away.
Hey, Mary! What a wonderful problem to have. Having new size 12's in the stores be too baggy on you already. OK, good luck on seeing a speedy loss of 10 more pounds before the end of the warm weather. I'll be keeping fingers crossed that you fit into your own size 12's in the closet shortly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterlady View Post
I can't fully believe I am down 11 lbs since 8/22 I have never had a diet work this quickly, not even atkins! Towards the middle of this month I am going to incorporate a better workout program. Ive really only been walking here and there...I want to be thin AND healthy!
That's a great weight loss! And a fast loss too, so that just makes it even more fun! JUDDD is sometimes not a real FAST weight loss diet, as you are actually only dieting on half the days of the month, but something that is every bit as important as the weight loss to me, is the help it has given my metabolism, so I can eat more calories these days and still maintain. That's really been a blessing, and a wonderful side bonus of doing JUDDD. So if I'm not losing a million pounds a week on this plan, that's perfectly fine with me.

I'll bet you continue to do fabulously on JUDDD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Are you on an UD too?
Last sunday I weighed myself for the first time since starting L/C...it nly took me 5 months!
Well I was 146.5 (I am 5ft 6") I had guesstimated I would be 147...so very close!
Today, after my first DD I couldnt resit getting on the scales....I was 143!
Needless to say I was very pleased...though I dont dare own it all...yet!
I had been doing 1500 cals a day lc, so some is probably from that...and I may have had a woosh...but...what a great start to my JUDDD!

Do you weigh daily Sohappy, and chart it? not sure if I would DARE after an UD!
Yes, today is an UD for me too. And we're waiting for the cable TV guy to get here and sort of re-configure our TV. We get a picture, but somehow everything is discombobulated.

Yes, great start to JUDDD, and smart of you to weigh in and make a note of about what your starting weight is. You should lose well, and fairly regularly, on JUDDD... just not a whirlwind speed, but the strong up-down cycle will maybe reset your metabolism so that eventually you will be able to eat more, and still maintain your slim weight. What a gift that would be! Woo Hoo!

Yes, I weigh after Up Days as well as Down Days. And I almost always weigh up after an Up Day, which is certainly understandable as my *gut* isn't as empty after a good day of big eating. But that doesn't bother me a bit. I understand and expect fluctuations, and know they only show what the scale has standing on it. That is me, my fat, my food from yesterday still in me, and any water weight from that salty ham, etc. I don't care. I just use the figure to motivate me in some way. Either it's up a bit, and that goads me to do a better job of my diet today, or it's down, and that encourages me to continue my careful eating.. proof that it's working.

I don't care if my weight goes up. As long as it doesn't go up for several days in a row! That's the sign that I've run into a problem, undoubtedly from something that I'm not doing correctly. Like staying under my calorie ceilings.

Enjoy your UD today. Lovely and nourishing things out there to make your meals a delight today and still remain beneath your calorie ceiling. Enjoy! JUDDD is very freeing, as long as you abide by its simple rules.

Last edited by SoHappy; 09-01-2011 at 07:25 AM..
Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Hi ladies, I am new to this forum (JUDDD, not LCF). I think I just about finished reading all of August yesterday, just in time. I am intrigued with the JUDDD diet after hearing about it from Paulabob, and think in the future I might give this a try. I am inspired by you ladies, SoHappy and Beebs in particular. You ladies are great, and great for the group, inspirational and motivating too, and very supportive of the other people, which I find comforting. I had major dental surgery and cannot eat really right now, only yogurt, protein shakes (is it penquin who does some great shakes... I was intrigued by those too)... but when I can eat something substantial, I would like to try this one. I have been doing HCG and can do the DDs fine probably, not enjoyably, but manageable. I do have a couple questions though if i may.
1. I did the calories on the JUDDD site, and it says 2546 and 509 for my numbers. I exercise at least 6 times a week (I am a runner and run at least 3 miles usually every day) sometimes twice a day when I do turbokick boxing at night and weight training too... anyhoo.... do you all use the numbers from that site? Or lower ones? I think I read somewhere along the way that those numbers were high?

I have a very hard time losing weight anymore (used to be 240 lbs, but lost 80+ with NS a couple years ago) and then have stalled for like 1.5 years and then started hcg and lost 15-20, but went on vacation and gained it back and now cannot get moving again with any diet, atkins, stillmans, hcg...nada) Would love to find my way to goal and learn to stay there. I am a carb addict as well... love sweets unfortunately, although I try not to like them, I do anyway. I also gain wildly when I eat alot of them, like 5-10 lbs in a day when I eat badly. I also have a tendency to binge every so often, (I have read others who have to watch this with this diet too) but luckily I dont do it over frequently anymore... but the more I restrict for long periods, the more likely I am do it) (I am rambling now I think)....next question...

2. How do you all really lose on this? I did not see much in the way of stats or numbers with the older forums... I know you tend to go up after an up day, and then hopefully down after a down day, but does it usually average to maybe 3 lbs a week or 2 or 1 or ??? averages maybe??

3. SoHappy... are you still trying the 2 DD and 1 UD?? I saw you were down again 1.4 this morning, and thats WONDERFUL! great job! Curious if you are still doing that way and thats why you are seeing progress again? Or did you switch back to 1 DD 1 UD?

Okay, I am sure more questions will come along, and I hope you dont all mind if I join in the forum, even though I really cannot start yet, as my liquid diet is hard enough currently (and I dont lose weight on it!!!!) go figure!!
catjrow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoLi
Stats: 194.5/194.5/160
WOE: SBD
Start Date: 6/2/14
I will join in her as well. I weighed 253 back in the fall of 2003. I started atkins and lost 80pds. By the fall of 2006 I had gained 30 of it back with stress eating. I started South Beach and lost the 30 plus 20 more. I had plastic surgery to remove a lot of the unwanted skin and fat and increased the "girls" as they had gone south. I've done a lot of comfort eating this summer and saw no end in sight when I started reading about JUDD and decided to give it a try. I've done one DD and one UD. The UP day was more difficult in that I didn't know when to stop eating as I work nights. I finally decided to finish my UP food at 2am like I usually do when I work. I was really hungry anyway and needed something to eat. I don't know that I can go a whole shift (12 hours) without eating anything. We tend to graze all night sometimes. I have a DD today which wouldn't have been so bad if I had come home and gone right to bed only to get up at 2pm, then eat. I have had to stay up to go to a job interview. So I am hungry now but don't really want to eat anything yet.
I didn't expect to be so hungry on my UD as I was. I ate almost 1800 calories which was a bit too much. I guess I will continue to take it one day at a time and see how it goes.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Hi ladies, I am new to this forum (JUDDD, not LCF). I think I just about finished reading all of August yesterday, just in time. I am intrigued with the JUDDD diet after hearing about it from Paulabob, and think in the future I might give this a try. I am inspired by you ladies, SoHappy and Beebs in particular. You ladies are great, and great for the group, inspirational and motivating too, and very supportive of the other people, which I find comforting. I had major dental surgery and cannot eat really right now, only yogurt, protein shakes (is it penquin who does some great shakes... I was intrigued by those too)... but when I can eat something substantial, I would like to try this one. I have been doing HCG and can do the DDs fine probably, not enjoyably, but manageable. I do have a couple questions though if i may.

..........1. I did the calories on the JUDDD site, and it says 2546 and 509 for my numbers. I exercise at least 6 times a week (I am a runner and run at least 3 miles usually every day) sometimes twice a day when I do turbokick boxing at night and weight training too... anyhoo.... do you all use the numbers from that site? Or lower ones? I think I read somewhere along the way that those numbers were high?..........

I have a very hard time losing weight anymore (used to be 240 lbs, but lost 80+ with NS a couple years ago) and then have stalled for like 1.5 years and then started hcg and lost 15-20, but went on vacation and gained it back and now cannot get moving again with any diet, atkins, stillmans, hcg...nada) Would love to find my way to goal and learn to stay there.

..........I am a carb addict as well... love sweets unfortunately, although I try not to like them, I do anyway. I also gain wildly when I eat alot of them, like 5-10 lbs in a day when I eat badly...........

..........I also have a tendency to binge every so often, (I have read others who have to watch this with this diet too) but luckily I dont do it over frequently anymore... but the more I restrict for long periods, the more likely I am do it..........

..........2. How do you all really lose on this? I did not see much in the way of stats or numbers with the older forums... I know you tend to go up after an up day, and then hopefully down after a down day, but does it usually average to maybe 3 lbs a week or 2 or 1 or ??? averages maybe??..........

..........3. SoHappy... are you still trying the 2 DD and 1 UD?? I saw you were down again 1.4 this morning, and thats WONDERFUL! great job! Curious if you are still doing that way and thats why you are seeing progress again? Or did you switch back to 1 DD 1 UD?..........

Okay, I am sure more questions will come along, and I hope you dont all mind if I join in the forum, even though I really cannot start yet, as my liquid diet is hard enough currently (and I dont lose weight on it!!!!) go figure!!

Hi, Cathy! Welcome to JUDDD. It's wonderful to have you join us. (Ouch.. sorry about the dental surgery and the *liquid* diet right now. Hope you feel better soon!)

-----Well, the trouble with the calorie numbers we are given on these sites where we fill in the info and they calculate what calories we should eat each day is... they may or may not be very close to our reality.

For a lot of us, they do seem to over-calculate our calorie needs, but I think that might be because a lot of us are not *normal* when it comes to how our bodies use and burn fuel. At least, not at the beginning. The exciting news is that for a lot of us, JUDDD seems to repair that. That's almost more important to me than any weight loss. Well... almost.

BUT, you are pretty slim now, and you are really exercising and expending energy, so my guess is that your body is using calories far more normally. If I were you, I'd start off just a bit below the given level, say at 2,300 on your UDs, but maybe higher, and try to keep to the 500-cal figure for your DDs, and see how it goes for a couple of weeks. That's long enough to let your body settle into the new high-low calorie fluctuations, and for you to get a feel for how your body is going to respond. If no weight loss.. then that will tell you that your UD cals are too high. (But I'll tell you, I'm old and don't exercise nearly to the extent that you do, and I have days up in that calorie level sometimes, and can still lose, so you may very well be right on the money!)

-----I also have a sweet tooth! Yesterday DH brought home a piece of cake his buddy's wife sent home for me. He'd already eaten two pieces at their house, and she sent home another portion for him. LOL Anyway, yesterday was a DD for me, and I still ate the cake and *sort of* figured in the calories into my 500 day, and that cost me some other food, but as I mentioned in another thread... I'm down 1.4 pounds this morning.

I guess the thing is, I eat some carbs. I tried the low carb thing. I hated it. I didn't lose weight on very low carb, I just lost hope. And I lost my happiness.

So I still try not to go overboard on the carbs, but cereal and bread in now on the menu. Desserts are in the offing. I always mention the Snickers Bar, as my failing, but it's mostly a joke, but I'm just not willing to go to my grave having had to give up foods that I have enjoyed all my life... most of it as a woman who was still slim, on those foods!

We practiced portion control just naturally, without even realizing it, when I was a kid OH-so many years ago, and JUDDD sort of has helped me with that once again. I'm so very willing to do the Down Days in exchange for the absolute freedom I get to enjoy on my Up Days, within the limit of my calorie ceiling. (Usually.) So I eat carbs. Maybe you will find that you can't. Or maybe you will be able to also. It's nice if you can.

-----I guess binging as well as just plainly over eating can always be a problem for most of us. It's just so.. YUMMY!, isn't it.

But here's the thing. Every other day is an UP Day, and you are free to eat anything in the world you want to indulge in. The *restricting* of your calories on DDs is so brief that it's not too hard to just wait a few more hours until the next morning comes. And the calorie ceilings on our Up Days are at least reasonable and even pretty high compared to some of the calorie levels other dieters have to adhere to, so no need to binge... You can just have some more next UD, and every single UD for the rest of your life. It sort of helps to readjust your mindset to realize that you no longer need to binge, no longer have any reason for a binge, and that instead of a binge, you can just eat it on plan. Like, you would binge, but if you get to eat it anyway, why call it a binge. If you can eat it every other day for the rest of your life, what makes you think you have to eat all of it today?

Some say that JUDDD isn't a plan for those with very serious binge issues, and some folks can't do this. But there are folks who have binge issues from their past who do very, very, very well with this plan, because it frees them from the feelings for the need to binge. There is something about the JUDDD calorie cycling that seems to normalize our appetites and our desires and returns us to a healthful way of thinking about food and about our eating patterns. Amazing little *aside* there.

-----Weight loss isn't known to be a whirlwind on JUDDD anymore than on any other plan. Well, except HCG, but my gut feeling is that you could lose at that fast rate on any plan if you did it at the same 500-per-day calorie level. My suspicion is that the HCG doesn't contribute to the fast rate of loss as much as the calorie level does, but I could be very, very incorrect.

Anyway, weight loss rates are still very individually. I was always happy to lose at the rate of about a pound a week. Lately I'm up to about 2 pounds a week rate of loss. That's pretty good for an old woman with hypothyroid issues. A gal who was here a few months ago was losing at the rate of 10 or 11 pounds a month!

But here's what is amazing and shouldn't be forgotten... your weight loss is for only being on the *diet* portion of the plan half the time!!! The other half of the days, you're eating like a Queen! I always call this facet being able to *Have Your Cake and Eat It Too*...

In other words, nobody knows what your weight loss might be on JUDDD until you experience it and tell us. LOL If you do add many carb foods back in, like several of us have chosen to do, you will need to balance out the slight water weight increase that may cause. I expect I'd lose a few pounds within this next week if I went very low carb on all my days, but I'm not willing to do that at all. At all! So whatever water weight I have in me at this time is probably going to stay right there. I don't care. I'm still losing weight, and I know it's fat. And that's really want I'm wanting to get rid of anyway. I don't much care about water *weight*.

-----Yes, I'm still doing the 2 DD and 1 UD rotation this week, but I expect I'll stop. Just because I enjoy those UDs, and this rotation doesn't give me as many of them, as often.

I've pretty much proven to myself that the 2 and 1 rotation works just fine, doesn't make me feel weak or tired, still lets me exercise as I want to, and maybe makes weight loss go a bit faster, but not so fast as to make it worth sticking to this schedule any longer.

As to the loss or increase in weight the scale shows me each morning, usually that will follow the preceeding day. So maybe be down .2 pounds after a DD, of maybe be down .8 pounds after a DD, and then up 1.4 pounds after an UD, etc. And no particular rhyme nor reason to it that I can tell. Every time I think I've solved the riddle, the scale shows me a number that shouldn't be there.

So I just weigh each morning and record it in ****** and on my calendar. And at the end of each week, I subtract that morning's weight from the weight on the morning I started that week, and that is my loss or gain for the week. And I always hope it's less. Sometimes it's a pound, and sometimes it's more.

Some mornings I'll see that I've gained overnight... what foul magic is that? And some mornings I'll see that I've lost wonderfully overnight. Hooray! In other words, all of those fluctuations don't mean much. It's just if I'm down at the end of the week. I take it all very casually and in stride. I'm sort of too laid back that way.

OK, a novel-length reply to a few simple questions here. I'm bored and still waiting for the TV guy to show up. Hate these *between 8:00 and NOON* sort of appointments.

Hope you feel better soon and get to start eating real food on JUDDD! Welcome!

Last edited by SoHappy; 09-01-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lbibclc
Stats: 231.8/132 54/5-6
WOE: Primal/HHCG
Start Date: August 2009
Had a great DD yesterday. 470 calories, no problem. Felt great.

Woke up to a killer Charlie horse. Jumped up to stretch it and almost passed out. I could feel my heart rate drop. We have a automatic bp cuff so my dh checked it. It was 70/40. Pulse was 45. Yikes. after several hours it's back up. Took some mag and potassium, ate and drank a bunch. I don't blame the DD at all but glad to do a UD today, lol. My electrolytes must be off. Bernice stayed too long yesterday.

Glad to see some familiar faces here!

Last edited by Lbibclc; 09-01-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Lbibclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbibclc View Post
Had a great DD yesterday. 470 calories, no problem. Felt great.

Woke up to a killer Charlie horse. Jumped up to stretch it and almost passed out. I could feel my heart rate drop. We have a automatic hp cuff so my dh checked it. It was 70/40. Pulse was 45. Yikes. after several hours it's back up. Took some mag and potassium, ate and drank a bunch. I don't blame the DD at all but glad to do a UD today, lol. My electrolytes must be off. Bernice stayed too long yesterday.

Glad to see some familiar faces here!
Glad you had such a good DD yesterday, but OUCH about the Charlie horse. I actually got those cramps in my calf muscle sometimes when I did strict low carb, so obviously I wasn't getting the nutrient balance I needed from the range of foods I allowed myself, but I haven't had one for a long, long time now. I hate them, so am really sorry this grabbed you.

Sounds like your blood pressure was low as you were sleeping. I always used to have pressure on the very low end or normal, and always got dizzy if i arose from bed or got up out of a chair quickly. That was years ago. In my *younger* days. Now my latest pressure is 115 over 65. I guess that's good. At least good enough. I sure feel great.

As to your electrolyte balance, do you think you are missing some micro-nutrient from your diet? Do you do low carb? Do you take vitamin/mineral supplement? Wanting everything to go well for you, and for your health to just get better and better. And that means no Charlie horses!

Enjoy your Up Day. Yay! Have you planned out about what you're going to include in your meals? Are you going to measure your foods and enter into ****** or do you think you're going to *wing it* on UDs and relax about them? Have a wonderful day! I'm doing an UD today too, and already thinking what might be lovely for supper.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLi View Post
I will join in her as well. I weighed 253 back in the fall of 2003. I started atkins and lost 80pds. By the fall of 2006 I had gained 30 of it back with stress eating. I started South Beach and lost the 30 plus 20 more. I had plastic surgery to remove a lot of the unwanted skin and fat and increased the "girls" as they had gone south. I've done a lot of comfort eating this summer and saw no end in sight when I started reading about JUDD and decided to give it a try. I've done one DD and one UD. The UP day was more difficult in that I didn't know when to stop eating as I work nights. I finally decided to finish my UP food at 2am like I usually do when I work. I was really hungry anyway and needed something to eat. I don't know that I can go a whole shift (12 hours) without eating anything. We tend to graze all night sometimes. I have a DD today which wouldn't have been so bad if I had come home and gone right to bed only to get up at 2pm, then eat. I have had to stay up to go to a job interview. So I am hungry now but don't really want to eat anything yet.
I didn't expect to be so hungry on my UD as I was. I ate almost 1800 calories which was a bit too much. I guess I will continue to take it one day at a time and see how it goes.
Glad I didn't miss your post. I went back and saw it sandwiched in.

I think you are the one who is going to have to teach us all how this type of working situation can be worked out for future JUDDDers. I think this type of a work situation is going to require a lot more juggling occasionally.

One nice thing is that JUDDD is incredibly forgiving, and also incredibly easy to adjust around as your needs bounce around. I have all the confidence you will find a sensible and well-thought-out solution that works. I'm going to be following your thoughts on this with interest.

As to eating almost 1,800 calories yesterday on an UD. I wouldn't bat an eye. It may be a bit on the high side, but maybe it won't turn out to be all that high after all. Anyway, it's done. Like I said, JUDDD is forgiving. We all just do the best we can. Some stick to their calorie ceilings perfectly and lose weight with ease. Others of us struggle with holding to the calorie limits a bit more, but if we're *good enough* we'll still find it works for us too.

Glad you posted. It really does sound like you're starting off pretty darned well!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Glad you had such a good DD yesterday, but OUCH about the Charlie horse. I actually got those cramps in my calf muscle sometimes when I did strict low carb, so obviously I wasn't getting the nutrient balance I needed from the range of foods I allowed myself, but I haven't had one for a long, long time now. I hate them, so am really sorry this grabbed you.

Sounds like your blood pressure was low as you were sleeping. I always used to have pressure on the very low end or normal, and always got dizzy if i arose from bed or got up out of a chair quickly. That was years ago. In my *younger* days. Now my latest pressure is 115 over 65. I guess that's good. At least good enough. I sure feel great.

As to your electrolyte balance, do you think you are missing some micro-nutrient from your diet? Do you do low carb? Do you take vitamin/mineral supplement? Wanting everything to go well for you, and for your health to just get better and better. And that means no Charlie horses!

Enjoy your Up Day. Yay! Have you planned out about what you're going to include in your meals? Are you going to measure your foods and enter into ****** or do you think you're going to *wing it* on UDs and relax about them? Have a wonderful day! I'm doing an UD today too, and already thinking what might be lovely for supper.
I take fish oil, multivitamin and mineral, SAM-e (for joint pain) and tums for the calcium. I take mag and potassium as needed and always when I was on the HHCG. I will start taking it again during my DD.

I have been tracking on livestrong for the last 2 years so everything goes in. My DH made me breakfast in bed of a banana and bacon. It was really good. Then I had some peanut butter with flax.

My blood pressure stayed low for about 2 hours. That was flat on my back. I do run on the lower end of BP and pulse but usually I don't have any issues.

Stayed home from work since I couldn't stand much less drive. Hard to not go-go.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #15

Quote:
I take fish oil, multivitamin and mineral, SAM-e (for joint pain) and tums for the calcium. I take mag and potassium as needed and always when I was on the HHCG. I will start taking it again during my DD.

I have been tracking on livestrong for the last 2 years so everything goes in. My DH made me breakfast in bed of a banana and bacon. It was really good. Then I had some peanut butter with flax.

My blood pressure stayed low for about 2 hours. That was flat on my back. I do run on the lower end of BP and pulse but usually I don't have any issues.

Stayed home from work since I couldn't stand much less drive. Hard to not go-go.
Man! It sounds like you really take most anything that should fill you up with any minerals you should be needing. I was hoping that it might be a really simple thing that caused it, and then would be a really simple thing to prevent anything like that from happening again! LOL

What a sweet DH to make you the breakfast in bed. Banana and bacon sounds awfully good, both to up your levels of salts and potassium, and just yummy any old day! But sure sorry to hear your dizzy spell cost you so.

Have you ever discussed your *pretty on the low side* ongoing blood pressure issues with your doctor? Nice to not have any high blood pressure issues, as so many at LCF do, but it would also be nice to not have the light headed & dizzy & *swirly/fainty* feelings either!

Hope you are feeling a lot better by now.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Liz, are you doing HHCG and JUDDD together? How does that work for you? do you do the UD still with the HHCG if you are doing both? Or are you just doing JUDDD currently?

Thank you SoHappy for your "novel" It does help a bit, and I think, like with most diet plans, its a YMMV kind of thing, and when I can, I will be happy to give it a go!!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Liz, are you doing HHCG and JUDDD together? How does that work for you? do you do the UD still with the HHCG if you are doing both? Or are you just doing JUDDD currently?

Thank you SoHappy for your "novel" It does help a bit, and I think, like with most diet plans, its a YMMV kind of thing, and when I can, I will be happy to give it a go!!
No I'm not taking hhcg now just started doing the JUDDD. But I think it would work.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No I'm not taking hhcg now just started doing the JUDDD. But I think it would work.
With UD as well? with the HCG? Would you go to your ceiling with the UD ?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Man! It sounds like you really take most anything that should fill you up with any minerals you should be needing. I was hoping that it might be a really simple thing that caused it, and then would be a really simple thing to prevent anything like that from happening again! LOL

What a sweet DH to make you the breakfast in bed. Banana and bacon sounds awfully good, both to up your levels of salts and potassium, and just yummy any old day! But sure sorry to hear your dizzy spell cost you so.

Have you ever discussed your *pretty on the low side* ongoing blood pressure issues with your doctor? Nice to not have any high blood pressure issues, as so many at LCF do, but it would also be nice to not have the light headed & dizzy & *swirly/fainty* feelings either!

Hope you are feeling a lot better by now.
I know I am lucky and weird to have low-normal BP at my age (53). My blood sugar tends to the low side also so the lower carb lifestyle works for me.

yeah I scared the bernice out of him this morning, lol. I had just got bananas and he had cooked up 3 pounds of bacon to freeze. It hit the spot that is for sure.

I never got "swirly" ( I like that description) with the HHCG so I know it helped release fat into my system. But that's why I don't think it was the DD. If I had had 200 calories yesterday, maybe. I frequently fast for 12-16 hours without a problem. Like a lot of health professionals, I'm a nurse, I don't go to the Dr unless I'm dying. All I kept thinking this morning was if my DH had to call an ambulance I didn't have a bra on. The things we worry about.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #20

Quote:
I know I am lucky and weird to have low-normal BP at my age (53). My blood sugar tends to the low side also so the lower carb lifestyle works for me.

yeah I scared the bernice out of him this morning, lol. I had just got bananas and he had cooked up 3 pounds of bacon to freeze. It hit the spot that is for sure.

I never got "swirly" ( I like that description) with the HHCG so I know it helped release fat into my system. But that's why I don't think it was the DD. If I had had 200 calories yesterday, maybe. I frequently fast for 12-16 hours without a problem. Like a lot of health professionals, I'm a nurse, I don't go to the Dr unless I'm dying. All I kept thinking this morning was if my DH had to call an ambulance I didn't have a bra on. The things we worry about.
LOLing about the bra!

No I wasn't a *swirly* feeling to diet, doing a down day or low calories, but to an episode of positional hypotension, sort of. Hope you're feeling better by now.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: firefighterlady
Stats: 270/257.6/170 5'11 26yrs
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: august 2011
Yikes that blood pressure is low! I would have started fluids on you in the back of the ambulance! Glad your doing okay just make sure you drinking enough water. (Aside from stabilizing your electrolyte imbalance) food has a lot of water and on dds we really have to drink up (I have to remind myself all the time!)
firefighterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Hello, fellow JUDDDers. I hope everyone is having a lovely day. We're having a hot one here! August may be gone, but fortunately the summer weather continues.

Today is a DD for me, and I've made a discovery. I like shirataki noodles, but I've only ever prepared them Asian style (with soy sauce, in a stir fry, in a cold salad with napa cabbage, etc). I was afraid to eat them as a pasta because I'd heard disappointing reviews. Well, my garden is overflowing with both tomatoes and basil, so I decided to try the noodles with some tomato and basil. I sprinkled a little crushed red pepper on top, too. Well, that red pepper was hotter than I expected, and with all that heat, I didn't notice the texture of the shirataki noodles at all!! So now I have a new way to prepare my carb free, calorie free noodles!
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
Hello, fellow JUDDDers. I hope everyone is having a lovely day. We're having a hot one here! August may be gone, but fortunately the summer weather continues.

Today is a DD for me, and I've made a discovery. I like shirataki noodles, but I've only ever prepared them Asian style (with soy sauce, in a stir fry, in a cold salad with napa cabbage, etc). I was afraid to eat them as a pasta because I'd heard disappointing reviews. Well, my garden is overflowing with both tomatoes and basil, so I decided to try the noodles with some tomato and basil. I sprinkled a little crushed red pepper on top, too. Well, that red pepper was hotter than I expected, and with all that heat, I didn't notice the texture of the shirataki noodles at all!! So now I have a new way to prepare my carb free, calorie free noodles!
PenguinPower was the one who got me started using the shirataki noodles for Italian spaghetti. I never liked the rubber band chewiness of them, but found out if I fry them up some in the skillet, they're not so rubbery. Also, I literally snip through them over and over and over again with scissors! Truth! I just don't like those long strands. But then I just pretend the noodles are semolina wheat spaghetti and put spaghetti sauce loaded with tons of cooked green pepper and mushrooms and onions and a few black olives over the top of the big pile of noodles and dig in.

I don't have any fresh basil, but buy some at the Farmer's Market sometimes, so I'll try a plate of noodles the way you've prepared yours today. I like hot, so the red pepper would be OK.

Sounds like your having a great DD. Truthfully, I don't think folks would be so suspicious of the JUDDD Down Days if they knew about some of the really filling foods we get to eat. ..........and then there's that fabulous following Up Day!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #24
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I've had a crazy day, moved DD into her new, adorable apartment all day and I'm beat!! I haven't eaten much today, not sure how much because I had lunch out (a salad with blackened chicken, bacon, cheddar, greens, tomatoes, avocado and no dressing). Have NO idea how many calories, but I'm thinking it probably fit into my DD pretty well, especially since I was climbing stairs all day, up and down with boxes, furniture, etc. Going to pick something small out to eat and go to bed! I will catch you all tomorrow! Everyone have a great evening!

This is copied and pasted from the August thread so that we may answer her questions and her aboard!! JULIEBOOLIE......SO good to see you here!!

From julieboolie:
Hi JUDDDers! I am a long time Atkins girl, who's had some good success w/ hcg this past year and is now moving on to weight training a bit more heavily, with calorie cycling/zig-zag dieting. I plan to have my higher cal days on the days I lift each week. At least that's the plan. I am leaning toward 3 UD's, 3DD's, and 1 mid day.

I read the site, and some other posts, and did my calculations. I don't think I can do a true JUDDD plan, but am going to start in a few weeks and wanted to see what you each do.

Beeb I read your DD's are around 700. I may just do 800cals since I was able to always do that or lower on the hcg plan. It's good prep for the DD's/

Liz-good to see you here too! You know that those UD's seem like a treat coming off hcg.

So far I'm just working on eating maintenance calories and hoping my metabolism recharges after eaitng pretty low calorie for a while. I'm hopeful that btw the exercise and higher cals I'll be in good shape to lean out a bit more in the coming months.

I really only want to lose about 5 more lbs of fat (read that - maintain or build muscle while shedding the insulation). I am excited to start mixing it up to keep my body guessing.

If you're willing, could you share a bit of your general UD DD calories and food choices? I'm guessing the DD's woudl need to be lower in fat so as to keep the cals lower while still getting to eat. Do you try to keep the protein high or not worry too much? I like yogurt and cottage cheese and plan to use them, and protein shakes on my DD's.

Thanks for your advice!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 09-01-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Lurker popping in....not sure if I'm going to do a "straight" hcg round next time or maybe JUDDD again instead. So nice on JUDDD you don't feel depleted. Anyways, want to sub and see what's going on here!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #26

From julieboolie:
Hi JUDDDers! I am a long time Atkins girl, who's had some good success w/ hcg this past year and is now moving on to weight training a bit more heavily, with calorie cycling/zig-zag dieting. I plan to have my higher cal days on the days I lift each week. At least that's the plan. I am leaning toward 3 UD's, 3DD's, and 1 mid day.

I read the site, and some other posts, and did my calculations. I don't think I can do a true JUDDD plan, but am going to start in a few weeks and wanted to see what you each do.

Beeb I read your DD's are around 700. I may just do 800cals since I was able to always do that or lower on the hcg plan. It's good prep for the DD's/

Liz-good to see you here too! You know that those UD's seem like a treat coming off hcg.

So far I'm just working on eating maintenance calories and hoping my metabolism recharges after eaitng pretty low calorie for a while. I'm hopeful that btw the exercise and higher cals I'll be in good shape to lean out a bit more in the coming months.

I really only want to lose about 5 more lbs of fat (read that - maintain or build muscle while shedding the insulation). I am excited to start mixing it up to keep my body guessing.

If you're willing, could you share a bit of your general UD DD calories and food choices? I'm guessing the DD's woudl need to be lower in fat so as to keep the cals lower while still getting to eat. Do you try to keep the protein high or not worry too much? I like yogurt and cottage cheese and plan to use them, and protein shakes on my DD's.

Thanks for your advice!!

JULIE! Yay about you being here! I've followed your weight loss progress over on the Main Lobby, and am really happy about what you have accomplished for yourself, and now very happy to see you here with us.

Yeah, one of the best things about JUDDD for me was its influence on my appetite and metabolism, decreasing the first and seemingly increasing the rate of the other.

As you know from your hcg, those low calories days just begin to become a routine. At first it was impossible. Then it became a challenge, and finally it's become easy peasy. I almost never, ever have a *white knuckle* day anymore, am able to keep the cals down where they are helpful, and rarely have any problem with staying within my UD ceiling.

Foods. Boy, I think that must be the biggest variable about this whole thing. Because JUDDD doesn't have any food lists or guidelines at all, no *forbidden foods*, no dietary suggestions, it's wide open and the sky's the limit as to what you can choose to make your meals from.

Some of us still stick to quite low carb. More of us have increased our daily carbs somewhat, or even up to a moderate range of carbs... and then there's me, who is sometimes higher.

Example: Tonight I enjoyed something rare for me... just plain real spaghetti with a heavy sauce, filled with chopped green peppers and onions, mushrooms and garlic cloves, and a huge amount of ground beef, piled over a very reasonable serving of just plain spaghetti pasta. Had a tossed salad w/dressing (I opted for the Lighthouse Blue Cheese instead of the Italian that my DH chose, crunchy toasted croutons on the salad, and crusty homemade garlic bread... slices from a Peasant's Loaf, buttered and sprinkled with garlic salt and mixed Italian seasonings, and toasted in the oven.

This was a fabulous UD dinner which we don't eat too often. But on JUDDD, I get to enjoy this once-in-awhile. Today's calories have come in at just over 1,950. Quite within my range these days. I didn't used to be able to eat this high in calories. Now I do routinely.

Now, if this had been a DD, I'd have rinsed and fried up a heaping plateful of shirataki noodles (snipped into little pieces with my scissors LOL), and the sauce would have been only the 45 calories-per-1/2-cup brand. I'd have put in a bunch of the green peppers and onions, the sliced mushrooms and chopped garlic, and I'd have skipped the ground meat. I'd have had a big and tummy-filling supper, but the calories would have been extremely low. And the salad would have had no croutons and diet Italian dressing. And no toasted garlic breads for me.

I know the others will stop in with their meals too. We have so many creative folks here, so there's always some new ideas for yummy stuff, for both UDs and especially for the more challenging DDs.

I can only speak for myself, but I've never been happier on any eating plan. Period. And I don't think any have been as beneficial to me in normalizing my appetite and in nudging my metabolism into functioning at a bit faster clip.

Hope you truly join us here in JUDDD, and hope that it works beautifully for you too!

Last edited by SoHappy; 09-01-2011 at 05:33 PM..
Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I've had a crazy day, moved DD into her new, adorable apartment all day and I'm beat!! I haven't eaten much today, not sure how much because I had lunch out (a salad with blackened chicken, bacon, cheddar, greens, tomatoes, avocado and no dressing). Have NO idea how many calories, but I'm thinking it probably fit into my DD pretty well, especially since I was climbing stairs all day, up and down with boxes, furniture, etc. Going to pick something small out to eat and go to bed! I will catch you all tomorrow! Everyone have a great evening!

Linda, you're such a good Mom. Your day sounds both fun and exhausting. I'll bet you're in bed already!

I expect you did a perfectly acceptable DD. Yeah, we try to really *stick* our calorie numbers, but the occasional time when we just guesstimate it and let it go at that works pretty well too. Ya' gotta' life your life with zest, and sometimes that means you just do the best you can and be on your way.

See you tomorrow. Sleep tight.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Lurker popping in....not sure if I'm going to do a "straight" hcg round next time or maybe JUDDD again instead. So nice on JUDDD you don't feel depleted. Anyways, want to sub and see what's going on here!
Hey, Paula! I hope you do come around here with your hcg version of JUDDD on your next round. I'm so intrigued with how you guys will pattern that.

How would it work? If you're down to 500 calories every single day, that isn't the calorie cycling plan of JUDDD, but if you cycle between the quite low and quite high extremes of JUDDD, that isn't really the protocol for hcg use either. So what are you guys thinking you'll do with it? Inquiring minds what to know.

Don't be a stranger here. Lurk no more.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
How would it work? If you're down to 500 calories every single day, that isn't the calorie cycling plan of JUDDD, but if you cycle between the quite low and quite high extremes of JUDDD, that isn't really the protocol for hcg use either. So what are you guys thinking you'll do with it? Inquiring minds what to know.
Last Feb/part of March I tried it - lost as well as hcg without the exhaustion setting in - at least, lost as well for each down day I did (about 1 pound for every 5 down days - my metabolism was pretty slow last winter). I would take the homeopathic hcg on the mornings/afternoons of my down days, which were Monday/Wednesday/Friday. My Tuesdays/Thursdays/Sat/Sun were basically up days, which I did lowcarb and similar to the P3 phase of the hcg protocol.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Last Feb/part of March I tried it - lost as well as hcg without the exhaustion setting in - at least, lost as well for each down day I did (about 1 pound for every 5 down days - my metabolism was pretty slow last winter). I would take the homeopathic hcg on the mornings/afternoons of my down days, which were Monday/Wednesday/Friday. My Tuesdays/Thursdays/Sat/Sun were basically up days, which I did lowcarb and similar to the P3 phase of the hcg protocol.
Hmmmmmm...... Hmmmmmm...... I'm kinda' excited for you guys to try that here. Very intriguing for sure.