Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #661
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/191.8/152
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: This time: 12/17/14
Hi everyone! Just checking in from Fast-5 land.

Dazy - just wanted to say I'm glad Noah is home now. That is a great pic of all the "boys" and the T-shirts and new "do."

I enjoy reading everyone's posts!

I am finishing up Day 9 of Fast-5. Considering how abysmal my attempts have been lately to have any sort of control over my eating, this is amazing. It seems a natural rythm might be developing of up and down days. Not as "down" as JUDDD - but just naturally it seems I am hungrier one day, and less hungry the next.

So...I might naturally end up gravitating to something "Juddd-like" before this is over.

I'm enjoying reading the Alternate Day Diet book too. (between classes and homework!!!!)

Thanks for all you share here - it helps me a lot.

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #662
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilovethis
Stats: 223/214.5/140
Thanks SoHappy,
I don't really have anything special coming up but I would rather start tomorrow on a Up Day. So according to website my Down Day calories are 402 and High
Days are 2011. Does that sound about right?
ilovethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #663
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethis View Post
Thanks SoHappy,
I don't really have anything special coming up but I would rather start tomorrow on a Up Day. So according to website my Down Day calories are 402 and High
Days are 2011. Does that sound about right?
Starting on an Up Day is absolutely no problem at all. Have a good day. Weigh and/or measure out all your foods and enter those amounts in your planner, such as ******, or whatever one you use. Track your calories, even on your UDs, at least that's always my advice. Otherwise it's too easy to go way too far over, or even way to far under, and then that sort of defeats the strengths and advantages of calorie cycling.

As to the Up Day calorie number of 2011... that may be perfect. Or it may not. If you arrived at that number from the JUDDD site, it is often felt that the number given us is really on the *too high* side, although others use their given number with success. Probably just start with that number and see how it goes for awhile. You can always, and easily, adjust the number down or up as needed after awhile if you aren't happy with it.

And as to the Down Day number... that one is up to you. I see that you are cutting to the bone and going for the most strict calorie cut of only 20% of the given UD number. I'm a wimp, so my percentage is a lot closer to 25% most of the time. And even higher often enough. But I know you are in this to lose weight, so the 20% figure should do a very good job for you!

The only other little piece of advice I can think of right now is to plan out your entire day ahead of time, rather than just eating your way through it a bit at a time, with no menu for the day established. That's a way of finding out you're almost out of calories and your appetite is getting bigger by the minute. LOL

And holler out if you run into any problems or have questions.

You are so, so welcome here! This is a great bunch of folks, losing weight or maintaining happily. And having fun and enjoying some mighty wonderful meals while we do it!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #664
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, where else could I get the calculated numbers? I do think 2011 is high and probably will only get to 1800's. As for 402 it does seem low and think I'd like to shoot closer to 500. On the induction phase I plan to stick to Atkins shakes/bars on under days. Ok ladies I'm starting officially tomorrow!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #665
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyInTX
Stats: 262/243.2/170
WOE: LC/ then JUDDD
Start Date: start JUDDD on 8/4/12
Has anyone actually read the book? I'm honestly in no position to spend the money on it right now, and my library does not have it..... have not tried e-bay, etc....

I'm am really curious about what it says about JUDDD and type 2 diabetes .... last time I was checked ( a little over a year ago), I am a borderline type 2... just a little concerned is all. I DO NOT want to have to quit .... I am just loving this soooooo much.
AmyInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #666
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Thanks, where else could I get the calculated numbers? I do think 2011 is high and probably will only get to 1800's. As for 402 it does seem low and think I'd like to shoot closer to 500. On the induction phase I plan to stick to Atkins shakes/bars on under days. Ok ladies I'm starting officially tomorrow!
Maria, just wanted to give you my experience with my UDs and DDs. I knew I couldn't do the suggested calories of 330 calories for my DDs, I would be setting myself up to fail before I even gave this WOE a fighting chance, so I did it at a 40% weight loss/maintenance level and at a sedentary level because I don't do any more of regular exercise which put me at 695 (I actually went to 700). I kept the UD calories at 1648 as suggested and I lost weight at a great clip! JUDDD can be tweaked and many have with great success so don't be afraid to tweak. I also want to suggest you eat up to your UD calorie level at least a few UDs before you tweak it down some. Eating on our UD calories is what helps us to NOT eat and be hungry on our DDs. Don't know how it works, but it does. I know if I don't eat almost all of my UD calories and I eat 100 or 200 calories less I tend to lose that "I'm not hungry" feeling on my next DD. OH and one more thing, I never did the shakes and bars as suggested. I can't "drink" my calories and feel full. I like to chew so I just did lots and lots of veggies with some protein on my first DDs and then got inventive and found all kinds of low cal recipes and used all the wonderful suggestions and recipes in our JUDDD recipe thread.

This is just what worked for me and only my experiences and suggestions, nothing more. Good luck and so glad you are joining us!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 09-27-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 AM   #667
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Down 1.6 after my Up Day to 130.2.

Puts me right back near my starting weight, hope to get into real weight soon! My lowest was 129.2 after my first week, hoping I'll beat that Saturday (which will be three weeks in).

Have to eat out today during work, but have looked online and found a good choice (chicken breast and side salad). Hopefully it will fill me up! I prefer cooking for myself ahead of time, but oh well!

Have a great Hump Day Peeps!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #668
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Quote:
Maria! I see you are already getting wonderful responses from Linda and Pat! I'm a newbie here, too, and I love it! For figuring out your UD number you might want to use the tools in several sites and then average. I think I used the tool at the JUDDD site, this one, and another I can't remember. Then I took the lowest number and subtracted another 100 calories. So I try to eat to eat between 1700 and 1760 on my UDs. For DDs I am at around 650, though I am trying to adjust down a little.

I did have an initial gain (only a pound!) as my body adjusted to a higher level of carbs, but now one week in I've lost that pound plus another half, so I am very pleased. It's still early days, but this seems to be a great WOE for me!
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #669
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Good morning everyone!

I had one of my all-time favorite treats yesterday-- a big old Morning Glory Muffin, and I am still down half a pound this morning to 183! Awesome!

Here is why it is awesome-- I was close to 183 a week ago right after a severe 3 day egg fast. Now I am at 183 again and I know I am carrying water weight-- so the loss is of actual fat! YAY!

The one thing I have noticed is that my DDs are a lot easier than my UDs. I know I am eating a set strict menu items and that's the end of it.It's the UDs that are a bit of a struggle for me. I think it's that I haven't adjusted yet to the freedom of the UD and I'm like a kid in a candy store. And once I have that first (metaphorical) piece of candy I find that I have urges to keep going, which I have to really pull back on.

Last edited by AnnF; 09-28-2011 at 05:45 AM..
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #670
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/191.8/152
Start Date: This time: 12/17/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyInTX View Post
Has anyone actually read the book? I'm honestly in no position to spend the money on it right now, and my library does not have it..... have not tried e-bay, etc....

I'm am really curious about what it says about JUDDD and type 2 diabetes .... last time I was checked ( a little over a year ago), I am a borderline type 2... just a little concerned is all. I DO NOT want to have to quit .... I am just loving this soooooo much.
Hi Amy. I have the book and have just started reading it, but have not gotten far enough to find references to diabetes. I did come across this article in my search about intermittent fasting (I think JUDDD is a close cousin) that you might find interesting. Intermittent Fasting and Diabetes: - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

(I hope that link is not a problem with the TOS here)

As I get time to keep reading in the book, I will keep my eye out. Unfortunately the references in the index seem to be mislabeled - i.e. one of the pages indicated was a recipe. ?????

I will be happy to share mre stuff as I find it.

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #671
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
goooood morning!

yesterday was an UD and i ate carbs...i wanted to test the waters. i won't even say what it was as it was pretty lame...lol...but wanted to see what would happen....ok, fine...it was pepperoni pizza pocket thingy...lol. i ate it at lunch and then VLCarb the rest of the day. i was up 0.4 today and TOM is arrived today as well. so, not too shabby, i don't think.

today is a DD. after last thursday, the day we had to go to the ER for his fever, that turned into a fasting day for most of the day...i kinda liked that. so am going to just do water/diet pop/green tea most of the day. we are starting our wed night programs back up at church tonight and that includes a supper meal, so i will fast thru the day and have a little bit at church. i really like the freedom of JUDDD and am a little excited to be able to just eat what is there and not worry that it may not be LC...kwim?

as for carbs...i think i will continue to experiment...i don't want to be soooo carb sensitive that i can't enjoy a little here and there. but will be primarily LC still.

we head to the hospital for chemo and blood work this afternoon. but this is the "easy" one so should be uneventful.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
goooood morning!

yesterday was an UD and i ate carbs...i wanted to test the waters. i won't even say what it was as it was pretty lame...lol...but wanted to see what would happen....ok, fine...it was pepperoni pizza pocket thingy...lol. i ate it at lunch and then VLCarb the rest of the day. i was up 0.4 today and TOM is arrived today as well. so, not too shabby, i don't think.

today is a DD. after last thursday, the day we had to go to the ER for his fever, that turned into a fasting day for most of the day...i kinda liked that. so am going to just do water/diet pop/green tea most of the day. we are starting our wed night programs back up at church tonight and that includes a supper meal, so i will fast thru the day and have a little bit at church. i really like the freedom of JUDDD and am a little excited to be able to just eat what is there and not worry that it may not be LC...kwim?

as for carbs...i think i will continue to experiment...i don't want to be soooo carb sensitive that i can't enjoy a little here and there. but will be primarily LC still.

we head to the hospital for chemo and blood work this afternoon. but this is the "easy" one so should be uneventful.
to Noah and sounds like a good plan you got there!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #673

Just to let you all know: I did 7 different calorie calculators and the average is exactly what the JUDDD site said I should be using for my UDs.

Doing the average was good for me because know I know I'm doing the right amount calories I need to maintain.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #674
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyInTX
Stats: 262/243.2/170
WOE: LC/ then JUDDD
Start Date: start JUDDD on 8/4/12
Thanks Doggygirl!!
AmyInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #675
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/23%BF/20%BF Size 26/6-8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
noah is great! at school for a second full day in a row!

in spite of the way his morning started yesterday by waking up to hair all over his pillow, he had a great day at school and went back for another full day today! chemo tomorrow (the easier one, big chemo treatment next week).

here is how his day ended. a new chapter in the story of Noah Lane.... Brad is good friend of ours who keeps his head shaved all the time, so Noah had asked him to help him with his "new do" when the time came....well, that time was yesterday....while we knew this day would come, it was still hard. but once again, the strength and ability to adapt that God has given him shines thru. after a few tears and talking with mom and dad, he is fine. he asked me to cut it short before school, so i did. then brad offered to come get him in his convertible, take him to his house to use his "barber chair" and finish his cut.

the other 2 dudes in the back of the car are Noah's brothers that he invited to go along.

my bff is a graphic designer and designed the shirt the guys are wearing and headed up a tee shirt fundraiser for us. so humbling....
Dazy-This post completely made my week!! It's so encouraging to see the way God is loving you and your family through this challenging time!! How beautiful!! I'm still praying and excited to see God's plan in all of this. A good friend from church was diagnosed with stage 4 skin cancer last year, and recently had it spread to 2 brain tumors. What started as tragedy has becomes an amazing witness with John sharing and praising God to all those he's come in contact with. Hope he continues to do well at school!!

I'm back to Atkins induction this week. The scale kept creeping up w. the carbs in there, and I got all the way up to 160.8 after a DD. So, that's enough gaining for me. Back to LC and I'm working on my thyroid to see if I can get myself straightened out. Sigh. Still following you guys!!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post17065682
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #676
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
Just to let you all know: I did 7 different calorie calculators and the average is exactly what the JUDDD site said I should be using for my UDs.

Doing the average was good for me because know I know I'm doing the right amount calories I need to maintain.
That's awesome! I think mine is high 2011..but oh well I guess I'll find out
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #677
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
If you dont...start with a low day! Make sure you prepare your foods the day before...so hunger doesnt catch you out!
Then before you know it...one DD under your belt...and you will be on your first UD!
I am sure you will do great! keep us all posted!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #678
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Since most people still seem to be coming here - it is certainly the easiest way to see what everyone is doing, I'll re-post something I just posted for one of the new people.

I knew I had read this, but was told no - it was a WW thing. Well, it also seems to be a JUDDD thing
Here is a copy of page 156 of his book The Alternate Day Diet.

"Exercise: Intense or prolonged physical activity can affect your down day calorie requirement. For example:slow jogging for one mile(which takes most people 20 minutes) burns about 100 calories, allowing you to add 100 calories to your down day intake. Just be VERY aware that you need to be VERY honest with yourself about how many extra calories you are burning. Therefore if it takes you less than 20 minutes or you don't walk a full mile, don't even count it."

Have a great workout everyone and enjoy JUDDD.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #679

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/138/130-135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Since most people still seem to be coming here - it is certainly the easiest way to see what everyone is doing, I'll re-post something I just posted for one of the new people.

I knew I had read this, but was told no - it was a WW thing. Well, it also seems to be a JUDDD thing
Here is a copy of page 156 of his book The Alternate Day Diet.

"Exercise: Intense or prolonged physical activity can affect your down day calorie requirement. For example:slow jogging for one mile(which takes most people 20 minutes) burns about 100 calories, allowing you to add 100 calories to your down day intake. Just be VERY aware that you need to be VERY honest with yourself about how many extra calories you are burning. Therefore if it takes you less than 20 minutes or you don't walk a full mile, don't even count it."

Have a great workout everyone and enjoy JUDDD.
Thanks so much for sharing this! Most days I walk 3-5 miles, so this is very helpful. I wish my library had this book, but, it does not.
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 AM   #680
Blabbermouth!!!

I struggled last night and my down day turned into an up (or about 1300 calories)!

Wednesdays are just stressful, too much stuff going on. Then seeing DH stuff his face with chips, and popcorn nuts and chips at the church. Sitting at a fast food restaraunt for lunch eating my healthy choices (grilled chicken and side salad)... Just too much temptation to stare at by the end of the day I guess.

Today is a new day! At least I woke up to the same weight and didn't have a gain. On straight hcg a couple hundred extra calories would give me a gain the next day.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 09-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I struggled last night and my down day turned into an up (or about 1300 calories)!

Wednesdays are just stressful, too much stuff going on. Then seeing DH stuff his face with chips, and popcorn nuts and chips at the church. Sitting at a fast food restaraunt for lunch eating my healthy choices (grilled chicken and side salad)... Just too much temptation to stare at by the end of the day I guess.

Today is a new day! At least I woke up to the same weight and didn't have a gain. On straight hcg a couple hundred extra calories would give me a gain the next day.
Sorry you had that trouble yesterday. Sometimes those days just come upon you. I always think of it as a tiger that just jumps on me from behind!

If Wednesdays are tough ones, is there a way you can work your rotation schedule so that they are always UDs for you? Or at the least, maybe MDs. I don't know what your rotation is, but I know for myself, I always, always have to plan on something for the evenings.

Hope today turns out to be a whole lot better for you!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #682
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Sorry you had that trouble yesterday. Sometimes those days just come upon you. I always think of it as a tiger that just jumps on me from behind!

If Wednesdays are tough ones, is there a way you can work your rotation schedule so that they are always UDs for you? Or at the least, maybe MDs. I don't know what your rotation is, but I know for myself, I always, always have to plan on something for the evenings.

Hope today turns out to be a whole lot better for you!
It should be, planning a Down today, and Medium Friday. So hopefully this week will get me a loss, unlike last week!

Wednesday *should* have been fine, but got into a long discussion with the pastor in the dining hall...had only planned on being in the sanctuary to watch the kids play music. Then saw DH eating his third bag of chips for the week. I was definitely angry he keeps doing this in front of me. If it isn't chips, it's M&Ms. But I can only control my own behavior, not anyone else's.

I'm at home today coloring my hair, my kind of slow day!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Good morning,
I went over my 2011 high last night! Unbelievable I thought I would never eat more than 1800. I didn't stick to low carb entirely yesterday. We ended at McDonald's last night and I bought a happy meal...yeah ate it all including the fries (that was 530 calories).

I had an Atkins bar for breakfast, drank black coffee w/ spelenda and water. So far so good but the problem of course will be when I get home tonight. I picked up some Atkins shakes and alternate between bars/shakes.

From now on, I will keep it low carb and I need to start exercising.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #684

Quote:
Good morning,
I went over my 2011 high last night! Unbelievable I thought I would never eat more than 1800. I didn't stick to low carb entirely yesterday. We ended at McDonald's last night and I bought a happy meal...yeah ate it all including the fries (that was 530 calories).

I had an Atkins bar for breakfast, drank black coffee w/ spelenda and water. So far so good but the problem of course will be when I get home tonight. I picked up some Atkins shakes and alternate between bars/shakes.

From now on, I will keep it low carb and I need to start exercising.
NO worry! Today is another day, a fresh start and it looks like you got your plan in hand, so GO GET EM' JUDDD BUDDD!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post

Quoted from SoHappy: If Wednesdays are tough ones, is there a way you can work your rotation schedule so that they are always UDs for you? Or at the least, maybe MDs. I don't know what your rotation is, but I know for myself, I always, always have to plan on something for the evenings.

THIS ^^^ is an excellent idea! AND the best thing about JUDDD.....we CAN move our UDs and DDs around to suit what works for US!!

And no gain, now that is something to about!! WTG!!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #686
Major LCF Poster!

Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Hey all!
Sooooo hungry today! I didn't have my normal bag of frozen veggies today.
But I still kept it a DD. I am complaining here instead of eating.
: )
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
Hey all!
And that is what us JUDDD BUDDDs are here for and WTG on keeping on plan!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
Hey all!
And this is how you change yourself. You take control of what and when and how much you eat, and also when and what you don't.

And after a pretty short period of time, you don't seem to have any undue amount of hunger on your Down Days at all.

Sorry you didn't have your bag of frozen veggies today. I really count on those veggies and certain other things to help keep me feeling satisfied and happy on my DDs too, so I understand your distress.

I'm about ready for bed right now. About an hour early for me, but I don't want to raid the refrigerator, so going to bed is a better choice.

We go out for breakfast in the morning with two other couples. Love being able to arrange the UDs for when they need to coincide with a social happening, and I've had a good day in preparation for this outing. (There might be waffles in the morning. Shhhh......)
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #689
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
did you get those waffles, sohappy? and were they GOOD?

jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #690

SO.....is this the last day of this thread? I'm liking the idea of just putting other threads on our forum and not having to check in here.

Are we going with SoHappy's idea and if so I will say to this thread and see you guys on the others!!