Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KyliesMom
Stats: 180/185/135
WOE: Atkins with eventual trans to Paleo
Start Date: 7/23/14
OK I am going to try this....

I have decided after talking to a few friends (hey leo) that I was going to try this... I start the "induction" tomorrow but do we start with an up day or a down day?

How do you track your up and down days - online calorie counter?

Do you do better doing it low carb? Paleo? some other form of dieting along side of it?

I am thinking this will be better for a person like me that when I get told I can't have something I eat it...... I have no self control but If I tell myself I only need to wait a few hours/a day I will have better control!

Wish me luck I am going to need it!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Check out JUDDD on google and use Dr. Johnson's site. Lots of info and how to get started.

I use Fat Secret to track my food, but there are LOTS of good ones out there. Also do a google search for food journals, you will find LOTS of them!

I like google, can you tell?!

aboard!!! Good to have you here!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
QUOTE=KyliesMom;14957454]I have decided after talking to a few friends (hey leo) that I was going to try this... I start the "induction" tomorrow but do we start with an up day or a down day?

As Beeb noted, the JUDDD website gives you all the basics on this eating plan, and it's about the same as the book itself. In other words, very simple, very basic, and certain things left unsaid. LOL So, I've never seen anything that specifically states how you are to start off on this diet as to Up Day or Down Day. For myself, I'd start with an UD, just so that I knew I was *loaded* with enough food to see me through my following Down Day, but that is entirely up to you. I think when I started, I started with a Down Day, just because I was so eager to get it going! LOL So whichever you want is fine. Not a big deal.

Here is some info on Down Days, The long-term phase of the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ is not nearly as restrictive as the two-week induction phase. You will be able to eat real food on Down Days, and you will also be allowed to consume up to 35 percent of your normal caloric intake if you want to continue to lose weight. If you simply want to maintain your weight, you can eat up to 50 to 60 percent of your regular calorie requirements:

1. During the first two weeks of the diet, your Down Day calorie intake will consist of no more than 20 percent of what you would normally consume. However, to simplify matters, Dr. Johnson has rounded off daily intake to 500 calories for Down Days during the induction phase.

2. The (ongoing) long-term phase of the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ is not nearly as restrictive as the two-week induction phase. You will be able to eat real food on Down Days, and you will also be allowed to consume up to 35 percent of your normal caloric intake if you want to continue to lose weight. If you simply want to maintain your weight, you can eat up to 50 to 60 percent of your regular calorie requirements.

3. the induction phase of the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ lasts for only two weeks. After that, you are free to eat regular food on Down Days. Also, depending on your weight loss goals, you will be able to eat larger amounts. While it is still perfectly acceptable for you to continue eating 500 calories, or 20 percent of your regular calorie intake, on Down Days after the induction phase, many individuals find that eating up to 35 percent is easier to maintain over the long term.

Dr. Johnson recommends using weight loss shakes for the first two weeks, just because it's so easy to keep an accurate count of your calorie consumption by using them, but truthfully, most folks just start in eating real food. Do whichever seems like it would make you most successful in sticking to low Down Day calories.

How do you track your up and down days - online calorie counter?

I track my calories using ******. I plan much of my Down Day the evening before, so I pretty much know what my day is going to consist of. After awhile you pretty much zero in on the foods and menus that make the DDs *doable* for you, and then you barely have to count at all. And I also track my weight and whether it's an UD or a DD on my calendar, but I'm anal, so that's probably just me.

Do you do better doing it low carb? Paleo? some other form of dieting along side of it?

JUDDD doesn't suggest any foods to include or any foods to avoid. What you want to include in your days and your meals is entirely up to you. Most here still hold their diets to fairly low carb. Some of us are more in a mid-range of carbs. Personally, I include some high carb foods in my diet as well, but I don't encourage others to eat like I do. It's just what works for me. I do like my occasional Snickers bar. So do whatever way of eating seems right for you, that will be fulfilling for you.

I am thinking this will be better for a person like me that when I get told I can't have something I eat it...... I have no self control but If I tell myself I only need to wait a few hours/a day I will have better control!

As to control issues... none of us can help you there. We all have to fight our own demons, if they are still out there, but just keep in mind that JUDDD works. All you have to do to succeed is... stay on the plan. It's totally simple.

Go figure your calories for maintenance to use as your calorie guide on your Up Days, and don't let them get out of control. ('Cause a run away Up Day can cancel out a couple of good Down Days in nothing flat, and then you've made absolutely no progress forward. Phooey. Keep your Up Days under control and keep your Down Days under control too, and get prepared to shrink. And just keep focused on the fact that... you're only on the real *diet* part of the diet on Down Days, because on Up Days you get to eat anything in the world you want to, and you don't have to be on a calorie restriction weight loss level on those days at all. Wow! How great is that?!!!

Wish me luck I am going to need it!

You will make your own good luck, simply by doing JUDDD, and you'll have Up Days of good eating all along the way. That's pretty good luck right from the beginning.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Welcome, KyliesMom!

I prepared for JUDDD by gathering ingredients for some low-cal foods I know I enjoy. Then, I had a pretty good pig-out, followed by a few days of high-calorie, high-fat LCing to get myself into ketosis, and I started JUDDD with a DD. My first DD was pretty easy, the second and third were not so easy as I came to grips with realizing I had to keep doing them over and over again lol. BUT -- I too am able to do very very well when I tell myself I can have something I really want in a few hours or the very next day. Most times, I don't even want that thing the next day!

Now my DDs are pretty much non-events. They are just how I eat, every other day.

Today I have had a superlow calorie muffin with a couple of cups of coffee. I usually eat about half the muffin for breakfast and nibble on the second half through the rest of the morning and early afternoon. Today for lunch I had open-faced fresh tomato sandwiches and two ounces of Aldi's oven-roasted fat free turkey breast. For dinner I had two HUGE bowls of cauliflower and mushroom curry soup. My problem time is coming up around 9-9:30 ish, and I'll have a big protein shake, and if that doesn't keep me full I have a big bowl of glucomannan gel to eat.

I found that while I would love the appetite-reducing benefits of low-carb while doing JUDDD, I just have not been able to stay full enough doing LC and JUDDD together. I guess I am moderate carb. Virtually all my carbs come from veggies, an occasional serving of fruit, and I do enjoy the low-calorie bread (35 cals per slice) and typically have one slice on each DD. Never eat it, or any bread for that matter, on UDs. Today I had my one slice for my open-faced tomato sandwiches. Other times I'll use one to make "buns" for fat-free hot dogs, or for a scrambled egg sandwich. I eat lots and lots and LOTS of veggies on my DDs. But I am the type who can't stand feeling hungry, so I go for volume on DDs. If I handled hunger better, I might opt for LCing...but I get cranky and feel deprived when I'm hungry, and that leads to all sorts of unpleasant things, so I'm best off packing it in until I'm satisfied.

Good luck with whatever menu options you decide to try! And you can always change things around if you find that something you thought might work, doesn't quite work.
penguinpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: firefighterlady
Stats: 270/257.6/170 5'11 26yrs
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: august 2011
Good luck i just started myself!!! ...and too funny im a kylie's mom too!!
firefighterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I think I am ready to start actually tomorrow... so I have a little time to prepare... but today I will start using ******... I use to use it a lot and then I just got fustrated with my weight... which I have my thyroid to blame for that!
KyliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterlady View Post
Good luck i just started myself!!! ...and too funny im a kylie's mom too!!
And that's not the weirdest part...... when is your birthday? Mine was the 26th!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyliesMom View Post
And that's not the weirdest part...... when is your birthday? Mine was the 26th!
Holy cow!!! Mine is august 26th too!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Clearly someone wants us both here! Lol
Old 08-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Holy cow!!! Mine is august 26th too!!!

OK That's just SCARY
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #11

OK! I feel like I'm either being pranked, or I'm in the Twilight Zone!

Or perhaps this is a case of a single person with two *split* personalities, and they've both decided to do JUDDD?

Or... little twins, separated at birth, living parallel lives all these years, and now both brought by the Universe to the exact same place to be reunited.

Or, a really fun coincidence that we all get to enjoy and get a chuckle from.

Or......
Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #12

OK, thought of another one.

Twin sisters who both have daughters named Kylie... like one named her daughter Kylie Marie and the other named her daughter Kylie Elizabeth, as an example.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Lol it is like twilight zone! I have a kylie renee if you do to that will be way too crazy! (She's was born this past feb)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Lol it is like twilight zone! I have a kylie renee if you do to that will be way too crazy! (She's was born this past feb)
Mine is Kylie Marie Born 1/10/2000.... She's 11
Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
OK, thought of another one.

Twin sisters who both have daughters named Kylie... like one named her daughter Kylie Marie and the other named her daughter Kylie Elizabeth, as an example.
HAHHAHA Mine is Kylie Marie!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OK! I feel like I'm either being pranked, or I'm in the Twilight Zone!

Or perhaps this is a case of a single person with two *split* personalities, and they've both decided to do JUDDD?

Or... little twins, separated at birth, living parallel lives all these years, and now both brought by the Universe to the exact same place to be reunited.

Or, a really fun coincidence that we all get to enjoy and get a chuckle from.

Or......
I think I am probably a Little older - lol but I am freaked by the Name and Birthday thing lol

Here's My DD
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3KgAjAs3AydZkc

Don't know if the link works or not
Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyliesMom View Post
I think I am probably a Little older - lol but I am freaked by the Name and Birthday thing lol

Here's My DD
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3KgAjAs3AydZkc

Don't know if the link works or not
Wow! That's a great photo, and it looks like she's getting pretty advanced in the sport now.

My little granddaughter started gymnastics a year ago. She's 10 this year, so came late to this interest, but she really enjoys it and is one of the better ones in her group, so that makes it fun too. I don't know how far she may be interested in going in the sport, but it's wonderful for her right now. Glad to have children being active in their lives, rather than sitting in front of a TV or playing video games all their spare time.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Clearly someone wants us both here! Lol
Agree!! Divine intervention at work here, if you ask me! OR maybe Pusher Beeb?

Last edited by Beeb; 08-31-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Nice to see a few others starting the same time as me.... hoPe we all do well and can suPport each other... My first UD today!

Good luck everyone!
Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Yep two different Kylies lol heres my little munchie
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1823875_n.jpg Shes getting WAY too big too fast!!

and yes beeb I totally believe it was some divine intervention. I made a promise to kylie that mommy would lose this weight so I could help her with her kids one day!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow! That's a great photo, and it looks like she's getting pretty advanced in the sport now.

My little granddaughter started gymnastics a year ago. She's 10 this year, so came late to this interest, but she really enjoys it and is one of the better ones in her group, so that makes it fun too. I don't know how far she may be interested in going in the sport, but it's wonderful for her right now. Glad to have children being active in their lives, rather than sitting in front of a TV or playing video games all their spare time.
Yes she's a level 7.... Last July she won Nationals for Beam and Floor with an almost perfect score on Floor =) She started when she was 8 but everyone that has ever seen her says she has "Natural" talent. Not sure how Natural but she would rather be doing Gymnastics than hanging at the mall - lol. As for starting late... never too late! As long as they like doing it... that's all that matters!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yep two different Kylies lol heres my little munchie
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1823875_n.jpg Shes getting WAY too big too fast!!

and yes beeb I totally believe it was some divine intervention. I made a promise to kylie that mommy would lose this weight so I could help her with her kids one day!
Awwwww She's BEAUTIFUL!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Nice to see a few others starting the same time as me.... hoPe we all do well and can suPport each other... My first UD today!

Good luck everyone!
Hugs
Jo
X
Welcome From Florida Jo
Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Thanks! My one and only holiday to the US was two years ago...to Florida...what a wonderful place!
I often think of it on our grey England days!
Hope to get back one day!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote