Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Thinking of starting Juddd, grocery list ideas, Please? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/731594-thinking-starting-juddd-grocery-list-ideas-please.html)

jessreadytolose 08-15-2011 09:07 AM

Thinking of starting Juddd, grocery list ideas, Please?

I am very interested in this program, after reading some of the threads. I am getting some groceries tomorrow. What are your Down day must have grocery items? Thanks in advance.

SoHappy 08-15-2011 10:22 AM

We all seem to do JUDDD a bit differently from each other, and there is no list of *Forbidden Foods* on JUDDD, so it is entirely up to you what foods you choose to include in your meals.

Many here still just eat their normal Low Carb foods, just keep their Down Day calories very low. Others of us here now eat at a somewhat higher carb level while still adhering to our JUDDD calorie levels.

For myself, I eat a lot more vegetables on my Down Days, since vegetables are so filling for me, really satisfy my appetite and keep me feeling full for quite awhile, and are so low in calories. So I might have an enormous plate of stir fry of broccoli, green pepper, onion, mushrooms, and carrot with my own recipe of General Tso's sauce, all hot and spicy, and the calories will still be really low.

As far as *products* are concerned, here are the products that have been a help to me for various meals:

unsweetened almond milks, both chocolate and vanilla.. only 40 and 45 calories per full cup. I sometimes want cocoa, or a small bowl of cereal, or even just a bit to drink sometimes..

low calorie sliced bread.. the loaves I can find in my stores are 40 calories per slice. I learned early on from PenguinPower (Donna) to very lightly toast the slice, then carefully cut that slice into two full-sized but really thin slices.. so now I can have a *full-sized sandwich, only with the single 40-calorie slice of bread serving for both top and bottom of my sandwich. LOL

I sometimes include those 80-calorie cartons of fruit yogurts, sweetened with Splenda

I've found a great strawberry lemonade beverage which is 0 calories at Aldi's

I use low fat and no fat products on Down Days only.. so whatever falls into that category. I especially like Miracle Whip stuff that is only 15 calories for a tablespoon. Love that stuff! LOL

Of course, the glucomannon noodles and yam cakes, at close to 0 calories, and glucomannon powder for sure to thicken anything. 0 calories there.

Walden Farms makes several salad dressings and pancake syrup and other products, which I usually find in the health food section of my grocery store, and those are 0 cal.

Keep your eye out. There are products that will be a big help to your meal plans on the Down Days. And that's the only time I use those products. On Up Days, I eat anything, but it's rarely very low fat. (Or very low carb either, for that matter.)

I'll try to remember to post more of my menues and food counts on Down Days to give a few examples. Maybe the rest of you guys can too, to kind of show some of the foods that JUDDD Down Days can encompass. That might be a help of some of the newer folks.

Moonchild 08-15-2011 10:54 AM

WELCOME ABOARD JESS!!!

I am new to this also but already know that, for me, having a lot of low carb, low cal veggies on hand for DD is the only way I can keep those days simple and on track. I just plain do not like fat-free products (like ff cheese, ff mayo, etc) unless they are naturally fat free (like veggies). The reason I mention fat free is simply because higher fat items also means high calories. This girl needs VOLUME so I would rather have a GINORMOUS bowl of soup and salad on a DD than to have a tiny bit of something high in fat and calories. No big deal though since I know I can have the really good stuff in just one more day. :)

On UD I can have whatever I want as long as it comes to no more than 1500 cals. I will keep my carbs low though. On DD I want to be at 500 cals or less so I will eat a lot of salad, soup, stir-fried veggies, etc. One of my fave meals is unrolled eggrolls (simply brown gr. turkey or gr. chicken and add in shredded cabbage, finely chopped onion, a little shredded carrot, garlic, black pepper and sea salt and cook until veggies are tender. As long as I don't add butter ... it is great for an UD or DD. YAAAY!

SoHappy 08-15-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbmoon (Post 14915846)
..........unrolled eggrolls (simply brown gr. turkey or gr. chicken and add in shredded cabbage, finely chopped onion, a little shredded carrot, garlic, black pepper and sea salt and cook until veggies are tender...........

Why have I never thought of this??? :eek: I love Asian food, and so I love eggrolls. That will be so easy to do, and delicious. Do you shake some soy sauce over it? I'll need to have that! :laugh:

Moonchild 08-15-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 14915874)
Why have I never thought of this??? :eek: I love Asian food, and so I love eggrolls. That will be so easy to do, and delicious. Do you shake some soy sauce over it? I'll need to have that! :laugh:

I don't use the soy sauce (never used it on "real" egg rolls either) but DH uses it all the time.

If you want rolled version, you can cook as above, separate a Joseph's lc pita so you will have 2 circles. Stuff each circle with the cabbage mix .. roll up, secure with toothpicks and fry in coconut oil. Voila!
:)

Beeb 08-15-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessreadytolose (Post 14915447)
I am very interested in this program, after reading some of the threads. I am getting some groceries tomorrow. What are your Down day must have grocery items? Thanks in advance.

:welcome:!!! Lots of us have 2 sections on our cabinets/refrigerators that has one side with FF/LCal foods and one with regular/HF foods. My DDs must have are lots of veggies/lean protein/LF/Lcal fruits, and Lcal/FF condiments, etc. in order to have more food to eat, and my UDs are pretty much whatever I want. The beauty of this is in the beginning I thought I would overeat on my UDs but I'm finding I actually need to eat more some days to up the calories because I'm just not hungry! :clap: It's fun to be able to have food on my UDs that use to be "black listed" when I did strictly LC. I don't eat many FF/Lcal foods that are processed so I'm not concerned with eating the few I do eat.

I will say it does take a little bit of changing our mind set to eat this way, but it's so worth it (at least to me)! I just stay away from the processed FF/Lcal stuff as much as possible and just eat wholesome, lower carb foods.

Maryo 08-15-2011 12:07 PM

Here are some of my go-to down day items:

Salads: Lettuce, onions, peppers, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes or whatever other salad fixings you like. I use Walden Farms salad dressing on down days. It's not the tastiest but you can't beat 0 calories, 0 carbs. I can sometimes find a limited selection of these at Target; otherwise I order from netrition.

Veggies: I keep cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans on hand.

Asian stir fries: I buy frozen stir fry vegetables, soy sauce, ginger paste and rice vinegar at the grocery store, and pick up Shirataki noodles (no calories!) at the Asian market. I believe you can also find shirataki noodles online if you don't have a local source. I also keep sesame oil on hand for stir fries, but I try not to use it (or to limit its use to a teaspoon or so) on down days.

Eggs: I always have regular eggs on hand, but I buy the Eggbeaters (or equivalent) that are made of just egg whites for down days.

Lean Protein: Chicken breasts, pork roast, tuna or other fish.

Protein shake: I drink a protein shake for breakfast on every down day. I ordered a no fat/no carb whey isolate protein powder from netrition (80 calories, 0 carbs per serving), and I blend it with a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (40 calories), some DaVinci syrup and ice cubes. Almond milk has been on my grocery list every week since SoHappy introduced me to it! And DH, who is lactose intolerant, now drinks it in his coffee.

Yogurt: I have half a serving of non-fat plain Fage greek yogurt, sweetened with DaVinci syrup, every day. It's 4.5 carbs, 65 calories.

Welcome, and good luck!

penguinpower 08-16-2011 05:08 PM

I, too, really dislike most fat-free foods, but one "almost" fat-free item I like a lot, and use a lot on DDs, are the Hebrew National 97% FF hot dogs. They are 40 calories each, and taste closer to real hot dogs than any other brand of FF that I've tried.

Ocean Spray diet blueberry juice is only 5 calories per cup and makes a great base for a fruity protein shake.

I eat a lot of zucchini and oriental veggies! Like lowcarbmoon - I NEED volume and eat amazing amounts on DDs when I combine the low-cal veggies with shirataki noodles. I also make a glucomannan "gel" nearly every day - even on my UDs - for added volume at night since I have a long-standing problem with wanting to eat in the evenings. I've never seen glucomannan powder locally, though - I need to order it online.

I also like the fat-free broths - Aldi's is only a little over $1 for a box of FF chicken or beef broth that is 5 cals per cup. You can thicken the broth with a little bit of gluc powder and drink as is, or add some good low-cal veggies and make a really good quick soup in no time.

I never did the pre-made shakes or bars, since I never found any I really liked and also because when I did try using them, I never felt full or satisfied.

Happy shopping!

jessreadytolose 08-17-2011 11:55 AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I am excited to get started, just honestly very nervous about the Down days, I may start a little higher on my down day calories.

Maryo 08-18-2011 08:13 PM

Jess, don't be nervous - it really isn't that hard and you never have to do it two days in a row. Once you get through the first couple down days, it's no big deal. And after a 350 calorie down day, a 1200 calorie up day feels like a feast to me!