Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Has anyone cycled JUDDD with regular LC?

I've been doing Atkins for a little over 4-1/2 months now. Back in June I was stalled and I tried JUDDD (doing it low carb), and I lost nicely - for a couple weeks. Then I stopped losing. I went back to straight Atkins, and started losing again. When my weight loss stopped again, I cycled back to JUDDD, and I've lost a couple pounds since I started a few days ago. I can't figure out if this is coincidence or if there's something to cycling back and forth. Has anyone else done this?
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
I've been doing Atkins for a little over 4-1/2 months now. Back in June I was stalled and I tried JUDDD (doing it low carb), and I lost nicely - for a couple weeks. Then I stopped losing. I went back to straight Atkins, and started losing again. When my weight loss stopped again, I cycled back to JUDDD, and I've lost a couple pounds since I started a few days ago. I can't figure out if this is coincidence or if there's something to cycling back and forth. Has anyone else done this?
I'll be interested in this too if anybody pops in here to discuss it.

JUDDD is a plan that has escaped much notice here at LCF, so I think the vast majority of folks don't really even know it exists. Or don't know what it *is*. Lots of folks here haven't even heard of calorie cycling plans. I think only a few of them have ever even heard of carb cycling. I'm just saying that I don't know how many would be out there who would have changed up their Atkins with JUDDD... in that so many don't even know JUDDD exists. LOL

Plus, you have to remember there are a lot of people who wouldn't like holding their food down to Down Day levels, as there are a lot of people here who like to eat a LOT. I don't think JUDDD would be very doable for lots of folks here.

I'm not surprised that your body might respond to the changing of your food plans though.
I knew a lady once, years ago, who changed from plan to plan to plan and had great good luck with weight loss, and also then in just remaining slim. But she switched up diets just because she got bored out of her gourd on just one eating plan forever.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
Maryo, actually there is a diet plan that does just that .. it is called "The 17 Day Diet". It looks to me like it is pretty much VLC for days 1-17 (Accelerate). Then it is calorie cycling (like JUDDD) for days 18-34 (Activate).

here is an outline of the plan:

The 17 Day Diet Plan

Days 1 – 17 are to “Accelerate” on a low carbohydrate diet that provides around 1200 calories. Eat unlimited lean meat and no-starch vegetables, two fat-free plain yogurts and two low-sugar fruits, a bit of oil, green tea, and 64 ounces of water a day. Typical for any low carb diet, fat-burning and fluid loss is favored during those days.

Days 18 – 34 are to “Activate” by calorie cycling (aka calorie shifting or calorie zigzagging), which means that the daily calorie intake cycles and recycles from low to high over the course of several days. The goal is to trick the metabolism to prevent it from slowing down. Two servings of whole grains are added to the above to raise the average calorie intake to 1500 a day.

Days 35 – 51 are to “Achieve” good eating habits that last a lifetime. This phase is the same as “Activate” except that lean meat is no longer unlimited and more grains and fruit are added, along with an optional serving of alcohol and a 100-calorie snack. In other words, the low carb diet is 'Out' and a balanced low-calorie diet is 'In' sans the processed food.

Day 52 and on are to “Arrive” at a lifelong eating plan, which is a constant cycling through phases 1, 2 and 3 - until the weekends when you can splurge. But don’t binge, says Dr. Mike, and if you gain more than 5 pounds, return immediately to phase 2.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Lowcarbmoon, that does sound similar to what I've been doing, except that I only do the first two phases and I haven't added any grains. When I'm doing Atkins, I'm usually at 1200 calories or less, so it really does sound like the first phase of the 17 day diet. Interesting.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Maryo-
When I started JUDDD it was because I'd stalled on typical low carb because I needed to severely restrict calories (for age and medical reasons). I stayed low carb, but JUDDD enabled me to eat at a much lower calorie level, and I lost the rest of my weight with no stalls at all, so I didn't see any need to 'cycle.' I eat low carb for health, and I do JUDDD for weight management.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
Well, I think I am actually doing this. Today(DD) so far I've had a protein shake for 3 grams
and I plan on a 400 calorie portion of chicken with skin(0) and green beans (5) with SF jello. I know it seems restrictive, but I cannot do low fat, I would rather not eat cheese, mayo, butter etc than eat low fat versions of these foods, I just can't do it, I'd rather just wait for my Up Day and enjoy. We will see how it goes.

Last edited by BonnyLass; 08-23-2011 at 03:42 PM..
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Plus, you have to remember there are a lot of people who wouldn't like holding their food down to Down Day levels, as there are a lot of people here who like to eat a LOT. I don't think JUDDD would be very doable for lots of folks here.
i am contemplating JUDDD for maintenance after hhcg. doing hcg has taught me that it IS possible to eat very few calories and still have large portions. sometimes i am STUFFED after eating 200 calories.

do up days consist of eating to BMR or above, usually?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
i am contemplating JUDDD for maintenance after hhcg. doing hcg has taught me that it IS possible to eat very few calories and still have large portions. sometimes i am STUFFED after eating 200 calories.

do up days consist of eating to BMR or above, usually?
I can only answer for myself, but for me.. both. I have quite a spread on Up Days, although I think it is intended that you eat to BMR without forcing yourself up that high if you aren't hungry. And if you are maintaining, your Down Days will be higher, or course, than those of someone still in weight loss mode. I know my UDs are sometimes right about BMR, but often either higher or lower. I weigh each morning, and if weight is up, I'm much tighter with calories. If weight is down, I might feel I have more leeway to indulge myself.

And I agree with you. It really doesn't take long for your belly & brain to become quite accustomed to lower calorie days and be perfectly satisfied. There are so many veggies that are so low in calories you could almost eat until you popped and still not overeat your calorie limit. LOL My personal favorite is finding that I'm feeling filled to the brim on cantaloupe long before I've had many calories.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i din't realize that with maintenance DD are higher. i read that DD should be 25% of BMR. is that for weight loss, then? what is the parameter for maintenance on DD's?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
i din't realize that with maintenance DD are higher. i read that DD should be 25% of BMR. is that for weight loss, then? what is the parameter for maintenance on DD's?
I've never seen anything specifically spelled out on the subject. Frankly, JUDDD isn't a very deep and detailed diet plan. There isn't a particular and exact formula that is to be the guide for every dieter. Like no, "Do DDs at exactly 25% of UD needs, and then when you're at the weight you want to be, increase your DD calories by exactly 8.5%...." In other words, like most other plans, you have to feel you way along and find out what calorie levels make it work for you.

But for most people, if you are holding both UDs and DDs to a combined level which results in weight loss, at some point you'll need to up your cals just a bit to maintenance level.

For me to maintain, I just bring DD calories up by a few hundred, and the magic weight loss turns into magic weight maintenance.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

gotcha!

not the i am diametrically opposed to 500 cal/day as i have found some really great ways to be able to eat a lot of volume while maintaining low calories (doing hcg i have to realize that if i can simply have volume, i don't get that deprived feeling even if i am not having my beloved fat, meat, nuts, etc for a time) it's nice to know that i won't (hopefully) have to do 500 for maintenance, kwim?

thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions. it'll be awhile till i'm done with hcg (a month and a half or so) but just like to really get things down before doing something new, ya know?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #12

Quote:
gotcha!

not the i am diametrically opposed to 500 cal/day as i have found some really great ways to be able to eat a lot of volume while maintaining low calories (doing hcg i have to realize that if i can simply have volume, i don't get that deprived feeling even if i am not having my beloved fat, meat, nuts, etc for a time) it's nice to know that i won't (hopefully) have to do 500 for maintenance, kwim?

thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions. it'll be awhile till i'm done with hcg (a month and a half or so) but just like to really get things down before doing something new, ya know?
You have all my very best and most excited good wishes for fabulous weight loss success on your protocol these next few weeks.

JUDDD is always here as a fun and easy plan for maintenance dining pleasure, no matter whether you used it for weight loss originally, or just want to follow the cycling in your maintenance.

For myself, I've reached a time of my life where I just don't have the run away fast metabolism of my youth, when I could eat anything in any quantity and still be thin. And since I still enjoy and delight in my meals JUDDD was the perfect plan for me to be able to have my cake and eat it too.

I'm more than happy and willing to hold my DD calories down in order to have such wide ranging freedom on my UDs!!!

I'll look forward to the time when you join us here. In the meantime, I hope you'll stop in occasionally and let us know how you're doing. Best wishes.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thank you...so kind of you! will continue reading up on it.