Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Will JUDDD work when nothing else has? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/731519-will-juddd-work-when-nothing-else-has.html)

juliaryan 08-14-2011 06:21 PM

Will JUDDD work when nothing else has?

I am currently doing Atkins and am in induction week 2 and have lost no weight. I was on a medication for a while that is known to cause weight gain and I gained 20 lbs. despite watching my food intake while I was on it. Now I have been off for several months but cannot lose no matter what. Do you think JUDDD will work? I am EXTREMELY disciplined with any weight loss plan yet since the *medication* I cannot get the scale or my size to budge. I am eating totally clean, under 20 carbs for induction, not to many calories and still nothing. This is after losing nothing on traditional low cal/fat diet, south beach, ...now Atkins. I have been off the medication for 5 months. I am getting sooo tired of trying and being so careful with everything I eat and having no progress...This WOE (JUDDD) sounds interesting. Anyone have similar issue like with a medication changing your metabolism and JUDDD worked??

Beeb 08-14-2011 07:56 PM

:console: for you! I don't have an advice because I have never been in your place, but the only thing I can say is if JUDDD looks interesting to you, maybe give it a try. :dunno:

This is the only way you will know if it will work for you! ;)

bacon bit 08-14-2011 08:00 PM

Obviously I have no idea what type of medication you took, but I took steroids and I know they can take years to leave your body. Mine fried my hair, caused weight gain, acne, etc etc, and it was right around two years after I stopped that I could actually move forward with fixing those things. I KNOW the frustration. I hope you can find a way that works! And maybe your Dr. can help?

Leo41 08-16-2011 04:45 AM

I'd second visiting your doctor. It's not 'normal' to be unable to lose weight when you're compliant with proven plans, and there's no 'magic' to JUDDD that will help in this type of situation.

You need to find out what's preventing weight loss in your situation.

SoHappy 08-16-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliaryan (Post 14914100)
I am currently doing Atkins and am in induction week 2 and have lost no weight. I was on a medication for a while that is known to cause weight gain and I gained 20 lbs. despite watching my food intake while I was on it. Now I have been off for several months but cannot lose no matter what. Do you think JUDDD will work? I am EXTREMELY disciplined with any weight loss plan yet since the *medication* I cannot get the scale or my size to budge. I am eating totally clean, under 20 carbs for induction, not to many calories and still nothing. This is after losing nothing on traditional low cal/fat diet, south beach, ...now Atkins. I have been off the medication for 5 months. I am getting sooo tired of trying and being so careful with everything I eat and having no progress...This WOE (JUDDD) sounds interesting. Anyone have similar issue like with a medication changing your metabolism and JUDDD worked??

I, too, feel for you and this situation you find yourself in. I can only imagine how frustrating and discouraging it must be to faithfully adhere to diet after diet and not be able to lose weight on any of them.

As to JUDDD, it is only similar to some of the other plans in that it may share something similar, but it departs from many of them in a couple of ways too.

You say that you have tried traditional low cal/fat diets in the past, but JUDDD really isn't necessarily the same thing at all. Yes... a Down Day is very low calorie, which mostly necessitates it being low fat as well, but it is incredibly lower in calories than any day is held to on a traditional low calorie diet! So that's quite a difference right there.

And then the Up Day is enjoyed in the area of your maintenance range (the Plan even says you don't have to count at all.. just eat anything and don't stuff yourself LOL), so eating at that higher calorie level is certainly not anything like most low calorie diets, that's for sure. (Just wanted to add that most of us find it beneficial to track and count those UD calories too, in order to keep them within reason, because most of us are just a wee bit sensitive to calories, else we wouldn't have found ourselves needing to be here at LCF at all! :laugh:)

I guess I'm actually wondering if you've tried a *calorie cycling* eating plan and diet like JUDDD before? This up and down pumping acting is supposed to encourage weight loss without causing a metabolism slowdown, and for some of us, it seems to even stimulate the metabolism to function at a somewhat higher and faster rate! Yay! I notice that for myself, and am especially thankful for this little JUDDD gift!

Dr. Johnson (who wrote the plan) says that the low calorie fasting days of JUDDD will awaken and stimulate our usually inactive SIRT1 gene, nicknamed the skinny gene, and that is what will get our metabolisms and weight loss all whipped into shape, so to speak. :laugh:

I guess all this to say, I don't see that you have anything to lose by trying JUDDD. You say that you can stick to the diet plans as they are designed, so that will give you an absolute answer.

You know, many of us failed on various other diets until we found the one that worked for us. I lost very little on strict Low Carb. And I hated the limitations in diet. I could only stay on a low calorie diet for so many weeks before I couldn't stand it anymore. And I hated the limitations in diet. But on JUDDD, I can withstand the limitations on a single day, being very low calories, in exchange for having no limitations on me at all the following day except not to go all *sky's the limit* in my eating! :laugh:

If you decide to try JUDDD with us to see if this might be the diet plan that will goad your body into some weight loss, it would be wonderful to have you here. Good luck with whatever you decide. :hugs:

juliaryan 08-16-2011 11:02 AM

Wow!!!:up: So Happy you are sooo nice and special to write that response. :high5: And leting me know was so very kind!! Thank you. You made my day!! :clap: Yes, I have had similar outcomes from other diets like you said. I really think I can stick to a JUDDD plan. I am super motivated and can get through one day of almost anything. When I was doing "low calorie" I went down to 800 cals a day for a while with no up day so I assume I can do 500 for every other day. I purchased Dr. Johnsons book and am reading it. Thank you thank you!!! I look forward to posting when I start!! BTW, are you low carb AND JUDDD or reasonable carb and Juddd or regular JUDDD? I am on induction and I don't know if I can eat so few carbs and JUDDD at the same time! I did the calculator on the Dr. Johnson web site and my up day would be 1,850!! For me that is an all out FEAST! Im not sure I would even need to go that high but I would go at least over 1200-1500 or so. :)

Thanks everyone! I am waiting for call from my Dr. now to let him know that induction did not work (he thought a ketogenic diet would work) and I will see if he has any advice. I already had my thyroid and blood levels checked twice in the last few months!! BYW, the medication I was on is called Elavil (Amitriptlyne) for a neck injury. It is similar to Lyrica and causes big weight gain in some people. :down:

Thanks...I'll be back and look forward to following along on JUDDD and this board!

SoHappy 08-16-2011 11:11 AM

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed to tightly for you that I almost get finger cramps. :laugh:

And I hope your body can get shed of any residue of that medication shortly. What a nasty side effect. :( I know some meds can certainly have these influences on our weight. And the opposite is true too. I belong to a health club where many of us retirees work out, and one elderly lady who had become quite thin confided to me that she lost 20 pounds last month. I asked her if she was on a particular eating plan.. if she was intentionally dieting, and she said NO! She said, "I wasn't eating differently at all, and I was terrified that I had cancer!" Needless to say, her Doc switched her to another med. It was some heart medication. :annoyed:

Be sure to post often. We're all here to offer our encouragement, and will hope that JUDDD can be a plan that will help you! Hoping, hoping, hoping..... :hugs:

SoHappy 08-16-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliaryan (Post 14919069)
..........BTW, are you low carb AND JUDDD or reasonable carb and Juddd or regular JUDDD?..........

Sorry, I forgot to answer this part of your posting.

Folks here do it at all levels, it seems, from quite low carb to just plain regular-style American eating, although we're so big in land mass, we have a lot of regional foods, don't we.

For myself, I never did well on very low carb. I never seemed to get over *induction flu*, so I never felt very well and strong and vibrant, and I apparently overate or ate at a too-high fat level or something, because I never lost much weight either, other than an initial 5 or 6 pounds. And I always felt so sort of *pissy* and irritable. And I wasn't happy. And I loved all the food I could have, but I hated not being able to have a lot of other foods I also enjoyed. I despise being so strongly restricted in what I can and cannot eat.

(I guess that makes it seem like I gorge on all high-carb flour & sugar processed crap foods, and I do eat very, very little of that stuff, but... darnit!... sometimes I want a slice of chocolate cake or some fried potatoes or a banana or a Snickers candy bar. I don't eat this high-carb food real often, but I eat it now sometimes, and I really enjoy it.)

So, anyway, my answer is that I eat at mostly a moderate level of carbs. Higher on my Up Days, just because I eat more foods on those days, naturally. And, yes, some of my Up Days would be at a much higher carb level than most here eat at, but I'm not eating like that all the time, and when I do, I just be careful not to go overboard. It works for me, and for JUDDD to work in such a manner that an old woman like me, at age 68, to be able to not only lose weight but to be able to eat the way I do is something truly remarkable!

BUT... I follow the diet rules and I don't let myself go too far afield on those Up Day calories! That's the secret for me. I keep Down Day calories low, and I don't go hog wild on Up Days, and it works its magic! And during the times when I'm just in maintenance mode and not even trying to lose anything, those Down Day calories are even higher, and that's even nicer.

I hope it works for you this way too.

juliaryan 08-16-2011 07:28 PM

SoHappy - You really are amazing! And you certainly do not look your age at all! I feel awful in this induction phase, like I have the perpetual "induction flu" just like you said. Also like you I am a sensible eater but sometimes I want to have some chocolate cake or fruit. If Atkins/LC were working I could put up with it easily because it would be worth it but without the scale moving for 2 weeks...I've pretty much had it. Plus feeling all shaky and weak and yes...irritable!

Thank you again for your support and kindness, you are truly special!!:):heart: I look forward to JUDDD-ing with you!!