Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
My first day on JUDDD, and having a mild anxiety attack!

After reading beebs enthusiastic posts on juddd, I have decided to give it a go to get rid of these last few pounds.
I have planned my menu on my iPhone app:
700 cals 55 carbs, lots from veggies n low carb fruit
My UD will just be a normal lc day 1800'ish cals 30,ish carbs.

It's my workout day, and I am also having a girlie night out, so must admit I am a bit anxious about hunger! I am used to the appetite suppression on ketosis... And having some small low carb snacks with me while I am out, too!
Not so many low cal snacks that r portable?

Does this diet knock u out of ketosis? Does it give u blood sugar swings?
How long before the DD hunger goes... I am scared of feeling too hungry in case I binge!

I will still be avoiding grains and sugar on UD and DD , as they are trigger foods for me.

I really believe in lc eating, so hopefully juddd will work well with it.

Fingers crossed!

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

just thinking about doing juddd is now making me feel very anxious....may stick to lc for a bit longer..sorry for all the waffling...just a bit confused at the moment. Counting very low calories is very tangled in my brain from my anorexic/bulimic days...not sure if I can cope with it.
hugs
Jo
x
Old 08-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Joedi, I can sympathize with you. I'm considering JUDDD too, but I don't like the thought of fussing over low-fat foods or counting calories so strictly--it brings back my fears of those endless days of hunger doing low fat dieting.

I did read somewhere in the introductory literature for JUDDD that it may not be appropriate for people who have a history of binging and purging, so your anxieties may be telling you something. Regular low-carb might be a more appropriate method for you if you try JUDDD and find that it triggers some of your old issues.

Or another form of IF might be more appropriate (such as fast-five) if you want the benefits of intermittent fasting without the need to count calories. In fast- 5, you eat anything you want (well, healthy and low carb) during a 5 hour eating window each day, and you don't worry about calorie counting. I've been doing fast-5 for 3 weeks, and it has been working well. It's slow--probably a lot slower than JUDDD--but it's the only thing that has gotten my weight loss moving again (I haven't tried JUDDD yet, and I may).

Good luck to you!
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
I'm doing JUDDD, but I do a low carb version (less than 25 net carbs), so I do still have the benefit of the ketosis appetite suppression. I'm not sure I could do it otherwise. And I was already counting calories (not too difficult since they show up with my carbs on ******) before I started JUDDD, so that wasn't a big deal to me. I can tell you that I am not physically hungry on my down days, although for the first couple it was mentally tough. I do look forward to my up days (makes it easier to get through the down days), and for that reason I don't think this would be a good plan for someone who has a history of or a tendency toward binging unless they have that very much under control. I am doing 400-500 calorie down days and 1200 calorie up days. I think that's a bit lower than what some others on the board are doing, but that's what works for me.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I am one of those folks who could not do JUDDD because it triggered binging on my UD's but I can do and love to do Intermittent Fasting--I think if we have issues around binge/restrict, JUDDD can activate that stuff---everyone needs to find what works for them. I loved JUDDD, but I love eating 3 meals a day within a window and once a week doing a longer fast much better--That is the thing--we all have to pay attention to our bodies needs and cues and find out what works for us.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I am one of those folks who could not do JUDDD because it triggered binging on my UD's but I can do and love to do Intermittent Fasting--I think if we have issues around binge/restrict, JUDDD can activate that stuff---everyone needs to find what works for them. I loved JUDDD, but I love eating 3 meals a day within a window and once a week doing a longer fast much better--That is the thing--we all have to pay attention to our bodies needs and cues and find out what works for us.
Totally agree here ^^^^

My enthusiasm is just that, MY enthusiasm in finding a combo of LC and LCal that is working for me. I am not a binge eater at all, just over ate because I didn't have the right combo of fat/protein/carbs that would keep me full. I don't "work out" per-say, a little walking or biking when I can, so I'm not sure if someone who works out as much as you do Joedi should be doing this type of WOE? Just my thoughts and by no means what should or should not be done. I'm sure someone else with much more knowledge about JUDDD and work outs can help here.

The best WOE is the one YOU decide will work for you and to feel anxious about a WOE, to me, doesn't seem like a eating plan that could work for anyone. I have never felt anxious about any plan I have ever tried. I would think being in that state is NEVER a good thing and something that puts us there is not a place we should be putting ourselves. Life is too darn stressful enough without having to worry about an eating plan.

JMHO

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Check out Leo41s posts-she often posts that JUDDD is sometimes not for those who have EDs or hypoglycemia problems. It sometimes worsens the problem and causes binges. Why not stick with lc if that is what is working for you?
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Lisa is correct. Dr. J warns that JUDDD is not a good choice for most diabetics, and most of the diabetics who have tried with us found that it played havoc with their blood sugar.

In addition, the restriction of JUDDD is a poor choice for anyone with an ED history. Again, those who've tried it since I've been involved have found that their ED problems are worsened with this WOE.

Please be careful if you are in either of those categories.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #9

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
I've read where you've mentioned this in the past, and I just wanted to say how sorry I am, but also ask a question about this.

Did you plan your foods, your meals, and weigh & measure and count your calories for your Up Days just like you did for your Down Days? Or did you just handle UDs as *Free Days* and eat as you wished to, without counting the calorie amounts of your foods?

Just curious. And snoopy, I guess. And sad that happened to you, but at the same time, wondering if the planning and handling of Up Days the same way we handle and plan for our Down Days might be a way to bring compulsions like this under control a bit more.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL SH! Great question!

I am a planner par excellance! I planned my foods, weighed and measured--mapped everything out on both my UDs and DDs. For those of us with BED, restriction of any kind can trigger binges. One of the troubles I had with super lowcarb was that for me, it would trigger LC binges--which were more disastrous then they sound (ugg--bad memories there ;(

-It is interesting, because now that I do a combo of IF and NoS (no snacks, seconds, sweets except one day), I think I get the same benefit as JUDDD--in that my overall calories are pretty low--but there is some mental component that is different for me. I have also increased my carbs a bit (just some lowglycemic fruit and tubers (paleoish), which also seems to settle something down for me. I think the main thing that is helpful is the fast from dinner to "brunch". It settles my eating waaaay down for the rest of the day for some reason.

Yeah--I loved JUDDD sooooo much! I lost weight! But it set something off for me. I know there were others who had the same problem. I love how easy and fun it is for you JUDDDers! It is fun to get "the most bang for your buck!" I love making DD recipes--I just got unhinged on my UDs no matter how much efffort I put into them. Maybe it is a head thing--maybe it is a leptin thing. I dunno

I do think that for normal people, keeping as focused and attentive to your UD's as you are to your DD's is the key with JUDDD. Rock on Normal People!!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
LOL SH! Great question!

I am a planner par excellance! I planned my foods, weighed and measured--mapped everything out on both my UDs and DDs. For those of us with BED, restriction of any kind can trigger binges. One of the troubles I had with super lowcarb was that for me, it would trigger LC binges--which were more disastrous then they sound (ugg--bad memories there ;(

-It is interesting, because now that I do a combo of IF and NoS (no snacks, seconds, sweets except one day), I think I get the same benefit as JUDDD--in that my overall calories are pretty low--but there is some mental component that is different for me. I have also increased my carbs a bit (just some lowglycemic fruit and tubers (paleoish), which also seems to settle something down for me. I think the main thing that is helpful is the fast from dinner to "brunch". It settles my eating waaaay down for the rest of the day for some reason.

Yeah--I loved JUDDD sooooo much! I lost weight! But it set something off for me. I know there were others who had the same problem. I love how easy and fun it is for you JUDDDers! It is fun to get "the most bang for your buck!" I love making DD recipes--I just got unhinged on my UDs no matter how much efffort I put into them. Maybe it is a head thing--maybe it is a leptin thing. I dunno

I do think that for normal people, keeping as focused and attentive to your UD's as you are to your DD's is the key with JUDDD. Rock on Normal People!!

Very interesting. Thank you for responding. This is yet another example of the importance of finding a plan that is *right* for you. And even then, the plan that is right for you might not necessarily be all that easy, at least for other people, and may have its own set of rules and restrictions, but for one reason or another, it works for you.

I think diet is a big problem for people with binge issues... Period. No matter what diet they try. And to a certain degree, most of us who became so obese and morbidly obese, have *food issues*, even if we don't recognize those issues as total out-and-out binging. Some of us just call it overeating. Consistently. On an ongoing basis. LOL It would be wonderful if there were just the perfect diet for us all, with one planned with the bingers needs and compulsions in mind, but that's another thing where YMMV, and One Size Does NOT Fit All.

So there are bingers who do JUDDD and are able to make it work for them. Perhaps, for them, JUDDD comes the closest to satisfying whatever their particular need is to help them remain in control. But it must be something that a person has to guard against all the time, no matter what plan they finally settle on. Overeating on my Up Days is the one thing I have to guard against. I can eat anything. I just have to be careful not to get carried away with anything, and that makes desserts and all sweets particularly dangerous for me, because they have always been my weakness and my downfall.

And, your comment "Rock on, Normal People" cracked me up! Yet, I wonder how many of us are truly normal people when it comes to eating.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Leo
Correct me if I am wrong! I thought I remembered you posting to me in the past that you used to binge. If so, I am thinking the every other day restriction may work for some of us bingers.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not Leo--but yes--she has been a binger--and yes JUDDD worked incredibly well for her--
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm not Leo--but yes--she has been a binger--and yes JUDDD worked incredibly well for her--
I think what it comes down to is that each will have to try it to determine whether it is going to be something that works for them. And in that same vein, whether JUDDD is something they can make work for them.

If you need to lose weight, the fact is pretty much the same as far as.. you are going to have to restrict in some way, no matter what plan, going to have to restrict something, somewhere, in some manner.

At some point, you are just going to have to address the issue, and hopefully you'll find a plan that makes this as easy on you as possible, 'cause it's not all that easy anyway. LOL

JUDDD has people following it either exactly as written, or just slightly adjusted for their own needs, who have been/are bingers, and they are gaining the benefits of weight loss and health that they had hoped to find with JUDDD. No matter what the plan being followed, folks are always having to stay alert and defensive against the demon.

And JUDDD can work for diabetics also and help them with their weight loss. Recently one of our diabetic members lost weight fabulously on JUDDD. She made it work for her really well. So it can certainly work. Just have to design even your DD meals conscientiously.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

and--just to add in to the mix--JUDDD works amazingly for asthmatics. I have a patient who has terrible asthma--she is also in a field of work that constantly exposes her to things she is allergic to--I recommended JUDDD to her--and her asthma is completely under control for the first time in her life. She still has to take her meds, but before, she had horrible breakthru weezing and coughing. Now she does not. She is a bit overthin because of her alternation (she has to keep her DD's really low to keep her breathing in line)--but she can not get over how an "eating plan" has relieved her horrid asthma. This restriction of calories thing has benefits far and beyond a slim body!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
and--just to add in to the mix--JUDDD works amazingly for asthmatics. I have a patient who has terrible asthma--she is also in a field of work that constantly exposes her to things she is allergic to--I recommended JUDDD to her--and her asthma is completely under control for the first time in her life. She still has to take her meds, but before, she had horrible breakthru weezing and coughing. Now she does not. She is a bit overthin because of her alternation (she has to keep her DD's really low to keep her breathing in line)--but she can not get over how an "eating plan" has relieved her horrid asthma. This restriction of calories thing has benefits far and beyond a slim body!
When I first read of that, I was pretty astonished, and I also am at a loss as to the *why* behind it. Obviously something is lessened by keeping our calorie intake very modest, but I don't know enough of the chemical science of our physical balance to have a clue.

I'm so glad you already knew of that interesting JUDDD fact and could suggest this to her. Isn't it a strange and funny world.

I think the ongoing and end results of these extended lifespan studies based on low calorie consumption & fasting levels will yield even more amazing health benefits.

So how can the mystics of the orient know of the benefits of fasting while the western world eats themselves into oblivion?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
If you need to lose weight, the fact is pretty much the same as far as.. you are going to have to restrict in some way, no matter what plan, going to have to restrict something, somewhere, in some manner.

At some point, you are just going to have to address the issue, and hopefully you'll find a plan that makes this as easy on you as possible, 'cause it's not all that easy anyway. LOL
This is exactly why I am hoping JUDD will work for me.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Senior LCF member

Jeanie & Ouis-
Just to correct the record, I have not had a binge-eating disorder. I was just 'normally' morbidly obese my entire life--no EDs involved.

JUDDD is not recommended for anyone with an ED history because any type of severe restriction tends to exacerbate those problems. Several people with ED history have tried JUDDD and participated on these boards--and all have experienced that same result and had to abandon JUDDD.

I'm not making this up. Dr. J warns about this, and many people simply ignore that warning (or have not read his book) and discover this for themselves.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ahhh Leo--sorry!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the clarification Leo.

I am thinking though that almost all of his here have an eating disorder to some extent.

Last edited by jeaniem; 08-16-2011 at 12:03 PM..
Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
For those of you who are interested, Dr. Johnson's website is back up.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
For those of you who are interested, Dr. Johnson's website is back up.
Is there a link?

Thanks, Redeemed!
Old 08-17-2011, 03:35 AM   #23
Senior LCF member

Jeanie-
I have an 'eating disorder' to the extent that I am extremely carb sensitive, and anything over 30g of carbs will create an enormous appetite. And from a lifetime of morbid obesity, I don't have a 'normal' relationship to food. I suspect that's true of most people in my situation. However, that's different from a specific ED diagnosis--which requires professional treatment in most cases.

On this board, I've noticed that "binge eating" is a term that's often misused. It's not simply 'overeating,' but a more serious affliction that I don't think is 'typical' of all of us.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
Is there a link?

Thanks, Redeemed!
johnsonupdaydowndaydiet Just add the www. at the beginning and the .com at the end. (The last time someone asked me for a link and I posted one, I got a little love note from the admins.)
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
johnsonupdaydowndaydiet Just add the www. at the beginning and the .com at the end. (The last time someone asked me for a link and I posted one, I got a little love note from the admins.)
OK, that is the one I found! Thanks and glad to know I'm on the right site!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the advice! I have came to the conclusion that juddd is not for me.
I spent many years from 18-38 obsessively counting calories , interspersed with periods of eat what you want...feel guilty about it...purge.... repeat.
What I love about low carb is the reduced hunger, no obsessive counting and, since march this year, no urge to binge or purge!
I have only a few pounds to lose, and they are going incredibly slowly, and I think my idea to juddd was just my impatience showing!
If juddds own designer does not recommend it for people with ed's... Combined with my own instinctive anxiety at the thought of a DD, that is warning enough for me.
Thanks again for all your replies... and enjoy your woe... Whatever it may be!

Big hugs
Jo
X
Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #27

I think you have probably made a good decision. If you are hesitant in the first place, combined with your past disordered behavior, this might have been asking for failure, and you are in a place now where what your are doing is working for you, albeit slowly. But you know what, many of us lose pretty slowly, no matter what plan we follow, so that's just the way it is sometimes.

I wish you all the success in the world in continuing your healthful eating plan and losing those final pounds you're looking forward to having gone. I know it'll happen for you.

Stop in occasionally and let us know how you're doing anyway. Best wishes!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #28
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Jeanie, I have B/E disorder and at one time fought with bulimia and beginning ana.

At first JUDDD did make me swing into binge type UDs. But I settled down with after a couple of weeks. I think all in all I did JUDDD for about 3-4 months with very little disordered eating involved. But when I got off track during the holidays, I think I had a bunch of rebound rebellion from the ED stuff and I couldn't make myself get back on track doing my DDs.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Pooitcus. I feel I have nothing to lose by trying JUDD right? If I want to lose more weight I have to restrict in some fashion.

How are you feeling?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
I won't go into details, but I have some issues with ED. Low carb improved it for a long while. Then as I added foods in, I had problems.

I have been on JUDDD for about 4 weeks now and I have had improvement with it. Not cured, but improved. For me, the DD's are rough because I am hungry. But, they are tolerable. UD are great, but sometimes I do overdo it. I think knowing the next day is a DD helps me mentally. Oh, and I look forward to UD's also, obviously.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote