Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD for AUGUST: Discussions of Daily Life, Eating, Foods & Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/730043-juddd-august-discussions-daily-life-eating-foods-supplements.html)

SoHappy 08-01-2011 03:48 AM

JUDDD for AUGUST: Discussions of Daily Life, Eating, Foods & Supplements

Welcome to the August JUDDD discussion thread. As usual, we start off with some basic information about this way of eating, posted again to start each new month, so that it is handy to refer back to when the need arises. This information is based on the directions from the JUDDD website.

JUDDD: Dr. Johnson's Up Day / Down Day Diet (sometimes referred to as The Alternate Day Diet)

- - - - -

Getting Started: There are only two phases of the JUDDD Plan: Weight Loss and Maintenance.

Down Days: To lose weight, calorie intake on the “Down” Day is limited, usually to 20% to 35% of daily calorie requirements, although it is strongly recommended that calories be held to below 25% when starting this weight loss plan. (To maintain weight loss and for optimal health, Down Day calorie intake is kept at 50% to 60% of your Daily Calorie Needs figure.)

To determine your basic daily calorie needs, go to an online site such as freedieting or the JUDDD site, and use their Calorie Calculator. Then you can use the calorie figure given to calculate your Down Day calorie requirement. There is a strong tendency for overweight individuals to overestimate their "Activity" level, thereby giving themselves an artificially high calorie allowance for both their Up Days and their Down Days. To avoid this problem, it has been recommended that for the first two weeks you should consume no more than 500 calories on each Down Day, regardless of your activity level.

Up Days: On the following Up Days, you may eat anything you want and as much as you want, but do not intentionally over eat. It is recommended that your given Daily Calorie Needs figure be your guide.

The important principle of JUDDD is to adhere to the Down Day calorie limit as closely as possible. You do not have to eat up to your calorie needs figure on your Up Days.

Hunger Management: The key to success on the Down Day is learning what works for you. Remember that you can eat tomorrow.

Diet Stress: While most other diets require daily reduction in calorie intake or limit the type of food eaten, JUDDD does not. There are no intricate meal plans and menus required, no preparation of separate meals, and no need for the purchase of special expensive foods, costing you time and money and creating stress in your life. With the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™, you are allowed to eat whatever you want on the Up Day, and your choices are greatly simplified on the Down Day, markedly reducing stress.

Energy level/mood: We have observed a consistent, measurable dramatic increase in energy level which is noticeable within 7-10 days, which peaks around three weeks on the diet. This is consistent with animal studies in calorie restriction. This is a desirable and reinforcing sensation which encourages you to keep going.

Based on animal research, the type of food eaten on the Up Day is unimportant compared to adhering to the Down Day calorie limit. This will activate genes (SIRT1) which set in motion the beneficial processes which produce optimal health.

Commitment: It is important to commit in advance to a certain number of calories on the Down Day. We strongly suggest 20 – 25% for the first two weeks, but find that 30 - 35% is more tolerable for some people for a prolonged period of dieting. The lower the calories on the Down Day, the better, but the most important thing is to find a caloric intake you can comply with on an ongoing basis.

(We suggest using only commercially prepared shakes in the first two weeks. Later, prepared foods with the calorie content marked on them can be eaten. It is critically important to guard against the universal tendency to underestimate how much we are eating.)

Weight Loss: How much you lose depends on several factors. The average in JUDDD studies was 2.5 pounds per week, more the first week or two.

You may wish to weigh yourself only on the morning after a Down Day and not more often than once a week if normal weight fluctuations lead to frustration for you.

What People On The Diet Have To Say: “I will never diet any other way. I lost 30 pounds three years ago, which I have kept off without the awful feeling of being on a diet.” – Heidi P.

“There was never a time in my entire life when I wasn’t wheezing from asthma until after being on the diet for two weeks.” – Theresa G.

“I couldn’t walk 50 feet without resting. After three weeks on the diet, I spent all day walking around the shopping mall.” – Ellen M.

“My rheumatoid arthritis got better 31 days after starting the diet.” – Judy L.

For more information, you may wish to read Dr. Johnson's book, The Alternate Day Diet.

SoHappy 08-01-2011 04:06 AM

It's hard to believe it is August already. Once again when I look back, the past month seems to have flown by. But a fresh new month begins, and that's always encouraging, somehow, so I always turn over new leaves and make lists and generally resolve to improve myself and my surroundings in a lot of ways. And on this 1st day of August it is no different. So I'm heading out with DH to get in a good workout first thing this morning. I'd slacked off a little with this hot weather, but it's time to get myself kicked back into gear!

Today will be a Medium Day for me or a little higher Down Day, whichever it ends up at by bedtime tonight. The reason for my indecision is that on workout days, I like to get in a few more protein calories, but we'll see just how energetically I exercise! :laugh:

Starting off with my coffee and half & half, and a very small bowl of oatmeal with the Walden Farms Pancake Syrup. Pretty darned YUM for a DD! Then more coffee and a couple of hard boiled egg white portions when I get home later.

Hope you all have a wonderful JUDDD day! Let's make this be a month of progress in our lives!

ladyathome 08-01-2011 07:09 AM

Happy August! :) Where has this year gone?

Thanks for starting this thread.

Enjoy your down/medium day-It sounds like it's off to a good start.

I am still doing the JUDDD thing here and I think it working out fairly well. Last Friday was one week and so far so good. Down days can be a little difficult, especially later in the afternoon and evenings, but I get through them. One good thing is that when I wake up on an up day, I am not starving and wanting to eat like crazy. I feel the hunger on the down day, but when the up day gets here, I feel in control for the most part.

True confession time-I am not low carbing on down days. I am not going crazy on carbs, but I do eat bread, pasta salad etc if I want to. After three years of Atkins, I am enjoying some foods I haven't had in so long. This weekend, I made homemade blueberry pancakes.:heart: I ate some with sugar free syrup. I put the leftover ones in the freezer to have for another up day. That day was today. I warmed those up in the microwave and had them with bacon and sugar free syrup.:clap: So far, eating some carbs on up days is not causing problems , but I will continue to monitor.

I need to get out and look in some used book stores this week for a calorie counter book. I have two carb counter books, but none for calorie counting.

Have a great day everyone.

Beeb 08-01-2011 08:29 AM

Decided to come on board and give this a try! Day one and I got my eating plan/food all mapped out for today. I'm keeping my down days to 700 or less and my up days to ?, not sure yet. Will journal to see what works.

I'm excited about this and thank Sohappy for all the encouragement and wonderful info!

:hugs:

Beeb 08-01-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyathome (Post 14874823)

I am still doing the JUDDD thing here and I think it working out fairly well. Last Friday was one week and so far so good. Down days can be a little difficult, especially later in the afternoon and evenings, but I get through them. One good thing is that when I wake up on an up day, I am not starving and wanting to eat like crazy. I feel the hunger on the down day, but when the up day gets here, I feel in control for the most part.

True confession time-I am not low carbing on down days. I am not going crazy on carbs, but I do eat bread, pasta salad etc if I want to. After three years of Atkins, I am enjoying some foods I haven't had in so long. This weekend, I made homemade blueberry pancakes.:heart: I ate some with sugar free syrup. I put the leftover ones in the freezer to have for another up day. That day was today. I warmed those up in the microwave and had them with bacon and sugar free syrup.:clap: So far, eating some carbs on up days is not causing problems , but I will continue to monitor.

I need to get out and look in some used book stores this week for a calorie counter book. I have two carb counter books, but none for calorie counting.

I use Fat Secret to journal all my food intake, calories, carbs, etc. on the internet and my phone. It's a great tool, free and keeps me honest and on track! ;)

SoHappy 08-01-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 14875127)
Decided to come on board and give this a try! Day one and I got my eating plan/food all mapped out for today. I'm keeping my down days to 700 or less and my up days to ?, not sure yet. Will journal to see what works.

I'm excited about this and thank Sohappy for all the encouragement and wonderful info!

:hugs:

I'm so excited! :welcome: You can always fine tune your calorie levels once you get going.

I expect you'll find out some of the *interesting* aspects that most of us notice as we go along. Like, when I first started, I occasionally used to be especially hungry on a DD later in the afternoon and evening, and almost have to white-knuckle it to not go over, and then wake up the next morning on my UD, and not be hungry at all. That oh-so-hungry feeling on a DD almost never happens anymore. Whatever caused that compulsion to eat, which I had to fight, went away.

My appetite seemed to *normalize*, for want of a better word, after I'd done JUDDD for several weeks. I found that portion control was easy on Down Days, and portion control was also easy on my Up Days, when I didn't have to watch calories very tightly at all.

I got in the habit of realizing that I could have anything..... and didn't have to. So I could go for coffee and a single fine pastry at the French place, but didn't have to make it a habit.

I found that my response to carbs seemed to *normalize* as well. My body began to decrease sensitivity, which had seemed to increase as I'd cut down on my number of carbs, and now I can (and do) enjoy many more carbs of mainly whole foods without particular incident nor weight gain.

If you suffer from asthma, JUDDD is reported to work wonders, but nobody knows why. Strange but interesting. And I don't know whether that only results if calories are kept below 500 on DDs, or whether that effect is also realized if DDs are higher as well. I don't have asthma, so can't vouch.

I, personally, have noticed my metabolism burn at a bit faster clip after being on JUDDD for awhile. I don't know quite when it started, or how long I had been doing this plan. Only that it must have just been quite gradual, but I can handle and burn carbs and calories in a much more normal way these days, despite being an old woman. (I certainly loved my foods which I ate when I did just low carb, and I eat those foods still, of course, but I didn't lose much weight doing strict low carb and seemed to just become more sensitive to all carbs than I had ever been before, so I was going backward, not getting better. I had to do something different.)

Well, anyway, I sure hope this is a plan that works well for you too. It isn't a real fast *magic wand* plan, like the HCG protocol sort of thing, but it's pretty amazing when you consider half the days you're eating at maintenance level, and you can still be losing weight just from those alternate *calorie restricted* days.

SoHappy 08-01-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyathome (Post 14874823)

Lady, JUDDD is just a plan of calorie control... and of calorie cycling, high and low. Whether followers adhere to a low carb diet for JUDDD is entirely up to them. They are smart to *know themselves* and whether they can eat at higher carb levels or not without going off the deep end, but as far as JUDDD is concerned, it can be at whatever carb level you want to eat at. Just keep track of those calories.

I'm not a person who is a binger, I don't have high blood pressures or high blood sugars, and I'm not a person who has to finish the potato chips, or who'll eat all the cake, just because it's sitting on the kitchen counter.

When I did a real low carb level of eating and held it there, I did miss some of my favorite carbs. A lot. So now I eat at a moderate level of carbs -not too low, but not too high- and it allows me to have my cake and eat it too, so to speak.

So this morning my two coffees had half & half in them, and I ate two egg whites for protein, and 1/3 of a cup of dry oatmeal cooked with lots of water to make a big creamy bowlful, and then just some s/f pancake syrup to make it a little sweet.

My net carbs for the day are already at about 20, but my calories are only up to 235 so far, and my tummy is comfortable. I won't have a bite of *lunch* until later this afternoon.

I don't amass a lot of high carbs, especially the simple carbs!all eaten in one day. I still respect the power of carbs over my weight if I indulge too much in a day, and especially if I push it, day after day after day!

Like you said in your post above, you are continuing to monitor your progress with this little increase of carbs in your diet at this time. That'll tell you whether you are not going above your personal level, and that you are staying in control. Some folks have trouble in this area, and some don't have any problem with carb portion control at all.

Hope you're settling in well to your JUDDD plan and have found your level of calories (and carbs LOL) that is resulting in weight loss. And, that you are loving not having to be on a diet on all your Up Days! :laugh:

SoHappy 08-01-2011 02:19 PM

So far, so good. I loved my exercise this morning, swimming & whirlpool tub & sauna, and then lunch was a tossed veggie salad with lite Italian dressing, and a small amount of leftover chicken/apple salad from last night's supper. And that's hard to figure. Like, I'm not going to take it apart again and measure out all the various component ingredients. So, wild estimate. ****** *guesses* that I'm up to 443 calories so far. :laugh: Now I'm sipping a tiny little juice glass of cold beer that DH poured out of his bottle for me. LOLOL

Probably fish for supper. I didn't get the day's menu planned out, and that's usually a mistake for me. Now I've got myself lost.

Beeb 08-01-2011 05:57 PM

Well, it's 8:45 pm and I'm at 591 calories for the day (I've set my Down Days to no more than 700 calories, which I feel is very doable for me) and still have enough for my 100 calorie pop corn if I want it! :clap: Also, if I decide to have the popcorn my net carbs will still only be 45g for the day!! This is a good thing and I will tell you I ate very well today! Had a nice bowl of hot flax cereal with coconut milk, and then really wasn't hungry for the rest of the day until dinner when I had a hot dog on a LC pita w/mustard, a slice of onion grilled with the dog and some SF relish, a big bowl of kimchee, and some patty pan squash I cooked in the skillet like I would sweet potatoes with Ideal brown sugar, some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Very yummy!!

Tomorrow I have plans to eat on the road because of a concert I'm going to and it's an Up day and that is going to be nice. I'm not restricting my carbs on purpose but today it just happened that way (maybe because I don't have any HC foods in the house anyway)! Tomorrow I'm will watch but not be as restrictive as I have been in the carb department and that is exciting to me!! Won't go over board by any means, but will be nice if I do want a fry or 2. ;) Been drinking more than usual, which is a plus for this person who never gets enough liquids. :doh:

I'm thinking that I could do this WOE and like it!! :high5:

SoHappy 08-01-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 14877031)
I'm thinking that I could do this WOE and like it!! :high5:

:laugh: Well, I sure do like it! :laugh:

I guess the big thing is to not go overboard (DUH) and to find the right calorie level to be at on your Up Days, and then have the Down Days be accordingly low in proportion. Your initial calorie spread plan seemed to feel pretty good to me. Now you yourself will be the test subject. :D

Just speaking for myself, I felt if I couldn't lose weight doing low carb, I'd rather be doing moderate carb while not losing weight. 'Cause there were a few of those carbs that I thought I'd enjoy getting to eat a bit more in my life. :laugh: And lo and behold! I cut my calories low enough that I started losing some weight. Miracle! :laugh:

Your foods sure did sound delicious today. Glad your choices seemed to be filling. Have a great Up Day tomorrow. Within your calorie limits, of course.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as I do a Down Day. Today ended up being a modest Medium Day. But I don't work out tomorrow, so it will be a good day to do a real sharp tight DD.

How is everyone else doing?

Donna, I have to go up and buy some more of the Special K chips!!! I didn't save enough of them for my future DDs, and now they're gone. :( This time I think I'm going to have to count them out and bag them up and tape a sign on them.. *Reserved for Down Days Only* :laugh:

skymath 08-01-2011 11:33 PM

Hello all,

I just wanted to check in.. I started something like JUDDD last week.. I run 4x per week, and I was considering something like a PSMF on my off days---came across this plan and decided to give it a shot.

So I have three down days per week, not strictly alternating but on whichever days I don't run (never two in a row). For starters I'm aiming for 800kcal DDs which is 30% maintenance for me; for UDs I'm following the advice "eat whatever but don't intentionally overeat" mindfully. I've had a few DDs so far, but about half of them basically became MDs, which I'm not too worried about. I had been shooting for a steady ~1800-1900 kcal per day prior to JUDDD, but I find that having low days and high days is nice, so if I end up around 1300kcal for a nominal DD, I'm not too worried about it, because it's still easy to balance out to the same average intake as before, but I'm going to try to rein the DDs in a little bit.

I should mention that I also do "fast-5" whereby I eat all my Calories during a 5 hour window per day---this fits nicely with JUDDD because I can have a 700-800kcal meal which is nicely filling, and leave it at that.

I need to coordinate with my wife or else learn better self-control: tonight, a DD for me, she and her friend decided to order Papa John's pizza :) although I normally eat according to the ketogenic ratio of a meal (keeping it above 1.5), I decided to experiment with having pizza, and I'll see tomorrow whether I'm still exhibiting ketosis.

So far I'm rather enjoying JUDDD---twice in the past week and a half I've hit new lows in the weight department! this is after a three month stall

love and peace to all,
Sky

Beeb 08-02-2011 07:58 AM

Well, yesterday was pretty easy because I planned and I also gave myself 200 more calories than the recommended 500 for the first 2 weeks since I KNEW I could never stick to the 500 (and I was right)!

LOST A POUND :clap: !!! I'm so happy about this, and I really liked planning my meals yesterday to find the best choices for my calories. Since I use Fat Secret I can see my meal choices from the past and that will be a great help on the Down Days since I can just eat what I ate 2 days ago and use that menu if I'm in a hurry.

Today on my UP day I'm going to eat a mini sub for WaWa because I will be on the road, and it's something I haven't had in sooooo long! :clap: Still watching my calories for today and am planning on not going over the 1400 I'm allowing myself.

Day 2 and I'm liking the idea of this more and more!! ;):D

SoHappy 08-02-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymath (Post 14877554)
..........I also do "fast-5" whereby I eat all my Calories during a 5 hour window per day---this fits nicely with JUDDD because I can have a 700-800kcal meal which is nicely filling, and leave it at that..........

..........So far I'm rather enjoying JUDDD---twice in the past week and a half I've hit new lows in the weight department! this is after a three month stall..........

Hi, Sky! Glad to have you aboard. :welcome: It's really nice to have you stop in here and join us, because we all come with differing past experiences, and often we approach JUDDD a bit differently, one from another, but I say it over and over again.. JUDDD is such an adaptable plan that it seems to work in with what else we may want to be doing at the same time.

Thrilled to hear that twice in the past week you've lost down to a new low scale reading, and this coming, finally, after having been stalled for three months! That is so fabulous. And really encouraging for the rest of us to read too! :laugh:

You mentioned you do *Fast 5* and it made me figure up what I do..... It turned out to be about a Fast 8-1/2. LOL :hyst: Since I'm usually not all that hungry for breakfast, I just have coffee with some half & half in the mornings. Then lunch, supper, and almost always an evening snack. I love how I eat, and I love what I eat, and I love that JUDDD lets me have it the way I want.

Thanks for joining us. Continued great success, and I hope you'll stop in and report your continued and ongoing JUDDD experiences here. One person's success is great motivation for the rest of us!

SoHappy 08-02-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 14878308)
Well, yesterday was pretty easy because I planned and I also gave myself 200 more calories than the recommended 500 for the first 2 weeks since I KNEW I could never stick to the 500 (and I was right)!

LOST A POUND :clap: !!! I'm so happy about this, and I really liked planning my meals yesterday to find the best choices for my calories. Since I use Fat Secret I can see my meal choices from the past and that will be a great help on the Down Days since I can just eat what I ate 2 days ago and use that menu if I'm in a hurry.

Today on my UP day I'm going to eat a mini sub for WaWa because I will be on the road, and it's something I haven't had in sooooo long! :clap: Still watching my calories for today and am planning on not going over the 1400 I'm allowing myself.

Day 2 and I'm liking the idea of this more and more!! ;):D

WooHoo! Beeb! Nice way to start JUDDD.

I think I'm pretty well locked into ******, since that was the first program I used. Now all my records and special foods and everything is there. But I've heard good reports about Fat Secret. I like the idea of easily viewing your past DD meals and amounts and figures for easy and quick reference whenever.

Enjoy that little mini-sub today. Sounds like you're running! Continued good luck!

ladyathome 08-02-2011 08:55 AM

Welcome Beeb and Sky!:welcome: I hope you hang around here with us and keep us updated on your progress!

Today is a dd for me. I still use Atkins shakes but do add in some other "real foods" on down days. I ate a low carb pita with a teaspoon of sugar free jelly for lunch. I like the shakes, but sometimes I need real food. For dinner, I will probably do a low carb shake again.

I am aiming for about 450 cals on down days.

SoHappy 08-02-2011 09:03 AM

I'm having a great DD so far, enjoying my food choices, no hunger pangs that can't be happily and deliciously filled with my DD choices, and I'm getting a lot accomplished around here. It's too hot to work outside, so I'm doing loads of laundry, cleaning the kitchen and family rooms, and spending just enough time in front of the computer to be entertained. LOL

Brewed an old favorite this morning.. Caramel Truffle coffee, and had 2-1/5 cups of that with half & half. That was my real splurge for a DD, as I don't usually have quite that many calories of just the creamer. About 100 calories just of my coffee beverage, and I don't usually drink calories on DDs.

Then a small bowl of Konnyaku yam cake slices in my General Tso sauce. Only 20 calories.

And then a BIG bowl of soup I made with 2 cans of beef broth, lots of veggies.. chopped onion & carrot & celery & turnip & zucchini. With plenty of salt & mixed Italian spices & dried parsley flakes. Man! That was good, good soup! I'll have the other half of it for supper. I'm stuffed right now, and under 225 calories so far today! I'm amazed.

Hope you all are having a great day! Looking forward to posts and updates.

SoHappy 08-02-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyathome (Post 14878528)
Welcome Beeb and Sky!:welcome: I hope you hang around here with us and keep us updated on your progress!

Today is a dd for me. I still use Atkins shakes but do add in some other "real foods" on down days. I ate a low carb pita with a teaspoon of sugar free jelly for lunch. I like the shakes, but sometimes I need real food. For dinner, I will probably do a low carb shake again.

I am aiming for about 450 cals on down days.

Hi, Lady. How do you like the Atkins Shakes? I haven't tasted a commercial shake for many years. I remember them tasting a little bit *vitamin-y* and also chalky years ago, but I expect the formula or recipe has been changed over these years. I do make shakes occasionally, well... chocolate ones, but just when I want my meal to also be sort of like a dessert. I like them when they are thick and sort of frozen-like.. like an ice cream shake. :laugh:

PenguinPower can really make them look exactly like ice cream shakes, and her recipes are always good. LOL And she also makes DD pudding/gel with glucomannon powder.

I'm using up the last odds and ends in the refrig before leaving for a little 4-day vacation, so not much to choose from here.

Your DD limit of about 450 calories is great. I'll bet its going to really help you with current weight loss and then give you a nice little amount to increase your calories up to when you're in maintenance. Sounds like you're doing a really good job. I'll look to you for inspiration at a time when I waver. :laugh:

verbqueen 08-02-2011 10:34 AM

Hey, JUDDD friends, just swinging by to say hi! Simeons is still going nicely for me, and as I told SH, boy do I have lots of great ways to do 500 calorie days, now. When I get back to JUDDD, I'm going to have a whole new arsenal of tricks!

Happy August to everyone, and happy losing!

SoHappy 08-02-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verbqueen (Post 14878823)
Hey, JUDDD friends, just swinging by to say hi! Simeons is still going nicely for me, and as I told SH, boy do I have lots of great ways to do 500 calorie days, now. When I get back to JUDDD, I'm going to have a whole new arsenal of tricks!

Happy August to everyone, and happy losing!

Jessica, I am so thrilled with your progress on HCG, and know you must be tickled pink. I remember you saying you just were having such a hard time losing anything anymore, no matter what you tried. Well, this surely worked for you!

I can hardly wait to hear all your great ideas for 500-calorie days and appetite control.

PenguinPower reported a real FIND! The Special K cracker/crisps/chips thing-ies. Oh, they are great for DDs if you are wanting something that is crispy and crunchy and crackly and only 33 calories for TEN of them, and they aren't teeny tiny either!

Have you tried them yet? They might be something that would fit in. I'll certainly be buying another box of them!

Beeb 08-02-2011 11:18 AM

I'm reading about the Special K thingys and I'm thinking to myself "I can't have that, probably too many carbs" but then I stop and say "yes I can, I'm not doing VLC/LCish anymore so I bet they would fit right in there with my DD!

I'm going to have to re-think, I'm thinking! :stars::confused::laugh: But that is fun for me, and I'm going to re-vamp some of my lowish carb recipes to add more flavor and less calories if I can.

OH THIS IS SO MUCH FUN and just the thing I needed, I believe, to get me interested again and on the move! :clap:

BTW, can we find these great recipes you guys are talking about on the JUDD recipe thread? Thanks!!

SoHappy 08-02-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 14878961)
I'm reading about the Special K thingys and I'm thinking to myself "I can't have that, probably too many carbs" but then I stop and say "yes I can, I'm not doing VLC/LCish anymore so I bet they would fit right in there with my DD!

I'm going to have to re-think, I'm thinking! :stars::confused::laugh: But that is fun for me, and I'm going to re-vamp some of my lowish carb recipes to add more flavor and less calories if I can.

OH THIS IS SO MUCH FUN and just the thing I needed, I believe, to get me interested again and on the move! :clap:

BTW, can we find these great recipes you guys are talking about on the JUDD recipe thread? Thanks!!

Beeb, I'm so laughing at this. ^ :laugh: JUDDD is definately fun from a lot of different standpoints, with some little caveats.. pitfalls hidden in it here and there maybe. The downside possibilities, like with all diet and eating plans. :)

I don't suppose our compulsion to overeat is necessarily any greater on this plan than on any other except and unless we are a person who just can't say no to themselves when faced with the freedom to eat carbs. :laugh: Because one of the things I adore and consider a delightful benefit to JUDDD could be a real problem if I didn't know myself and watch myself..., and it's that we have the freedom on our UDs to be going back to eating fat and carbs combined, as in cookies and candy bars and cakes and pies, and also french fries and potato chips and amazing loaves of bread and some delicious crackers and crisps, etc. Geez, I love 'em! :laugh: And for myself, I don't really care a fig whether part of my body weight each morning on the scale is *water weight* at all, so that dread of eating some higher carbs and gaining some water weight isn't going to scare me away. LOL

I do think a lot of folks here do JUDDD as a strong arm of their current low carb diet plan, but some others of us (me) do JUDDD at a carb level that is somewhat (a lot) higher than most here allow themselves. I find I can walk away from most delicious carby offerings after a single taste or portion, just because I know that on this plan I can always have more later, tomorrow, the day after, forever. It is now allowed back into my life. I can't even tell you how much, MUCH I missed being able to include some of those foods in my choices. So I'm a little higher carb level each day than before, and I just have to watch portion control. For myself and how much I can tolerate, I can have more carbs on a daily basis, but not everything. Not even just a little bit of everything. :laugh: So I still sort of pick and choose.

All of this to say, I think you'll do fine with the Special K Cracker Crisps. I thought they tasted sort of like the stuff they make Pringles out of, only denser. And the portion is truly a big one at THIRTY crackers for 110 calories. So for my diet plan, I will be eating them at the rate of 33 calories for a portion of 10 crackers, and then that's going to be all I eat that day. Because I will reserve these just for Down Days.

And I look forward to having you share any great low carb foods that you can reduce the calories in enough to be something fun for DD meals, especially. On UDs, I pretty much just eat regular food. Meats and veggies, fruits and dairy, some grains, sometimes a bit of real dessert. All figured into my UD calories.

ladyathome 08-02-2011 07:49 PM

SoHappy-Atkins shakes aren't bad. Not delicious, but good for down days because you don't really have to think too much. Slightly mediciney and chalky tasting, but tolerable. I much prefer the Atkins bars, but I got the shakes because they were on sale and I had coupons.:)

Beeb- am having to change my thinking too. After three years on Atkins, I felt pretty nervous about eating some of the carbier things, but I am getting over it.:cool:

Up day tomorrow!:clap:

penguinpower 08-02-2011 08:27 PM

Hey there JUDDDers! Great to see the action in the thread. Thanks SoHappy for starting off our new month. Welcome, Beeb!

I have been in a little bit of a funk about my weight, but I've finally figured it out - I'm pretty sure that after losing 30 pounds on the diet, I've hit a little plateau. It's happened to me on all other diets, so why not this one? So I'm just going to hunker down and get through it until the scale starts moving again. I did have a couple of up-up-and-away days (I miss RFL!) but I can't really point to them as the reason for the scale weight so stubbornly refusing to budge below 180 considering that there were 29 GOOD days in the month...so I declare a plateau. I'll get through it. JUDDD makes it pleasant.

Glad you like the cracker chips, SoHappy. I'm enjoying that find, too. Beeb, I hear ya on at first thinking I 'couldn't' have them - what I love about JUDDD is I can have everything!

I have been making a most delicious DD frozen treat in the evening.

1 cup Ocean Spray Diet Blueberry Juice - 5 calories
1 scoop vanilla protein powder - 130 calories
1/2 tsp gluc powder - 0 cals
2 tbs. DaVinci's Raspberry Syrup - 0 cals
1 cup frozen strawberries - 49 calories
Ice Cubes (about 2 cups)

Put them into the Blendtec Blender, use the ice cream option, and get 3 to 4 cups of frozen yummy deliciousness for 184 calories! If you have a regular blender it would probably be a milkshake texture with less volume -the Blendtec setting incorporates a lot of air into the mix, like real ice cream.

I've been enjoying that one so much I've had it every evening lately - I will try to take a picture of it if I have one tomorrow. But I might not have one tomorrow - My friend and I are going to the Josh Groban concert, woot!

momof3heathens 08-03-2011 08:45 AM

Thank god today is an up day for me as I have to visit my mother for the first time in 5 years. She made arrangements for me to see her so I haven't a choice(I don't drive and she doesn't like coming over the highway to drive in town so her friend is picking me up). I wrote out a list of ways to keep me from breaking down and flipping out which include but not limited to "Agree with everything she says" and "lie if I have too".

I can not be in the same room with her for more than 15 minutes before my teeth are gritting and I am having a full out freak out.

I know a big reason for my weight issues is her never taking my point of view into consideration. I know nothing. I have nothing of value to say no matter how trivial. I could mention I was a bit chilly and she will start up with how hot it was and turn on a fan.

I will be having lunch out there and she will want to go to a Chinese buffet. It would be beyond her to think that wouldn't be ideal for me. Last time I had a meal with her was 5 years ago. Went to a buffet and ate myself silly. That was when the weight loss stopped for me(130lbs down)and have slowly regained 60 of those lbs over these past years.

She will critique my food choices regardless of what I choose. Eat on plan and she will go on about the protein and veg and say I need pasta products. Eat off plan and she will say something too. Can not win no matter what. I could save the person at the next table from choking to death and she will say I did it wrong or I shouldn't have gotten involved. Anything to contradict me.

I have tried to talk to her in the past about how I feel when we have any conversation but she just gets defensive and starts crying. I hate that in order to talk to her I have to keep it at the most basic trivial level like as if she were a stranger on a bus.

Sorry for the rant folks.

penguinpower 08-03-2011 10:38 AM

{{{{momof3}}}}}

Beeb 08-03-2011 12:46 PM

MOMOF3 :console::console::console::hugs::hugs::hugs: We are all there with you in spirit, remember that and if she starts to stress you out, go to the bathroom!

It breaks the energy and lets new energy begin when you come back from the bathroom!

HTH:hugs:

Beeb 08-03-2011 12:58 PM

Well, I got my UD and the concert (which was TOTALLY AMAZING!) just fine, had the food I wanted and totally enjoyed it!

Today is a DD so I made a BIG pot of chicken and veggie soup to eat for lunch and dinner.

The whole pot has 479 calories and I'm was going to eat half but looking at it now I don't think so, it's a BIG pot!! :confused::laugh:

I'm doing well, not hungry at all today which is just amazing to me! :clap: Had my DD morning protein flax muffin with cream cheese and I just started to get hungry and it's 4:00 pm! Eating some soup now and going to eat some later, but still don't think I'll get in the half I intended to eat! :clap:

SoHappy 08-03-2011 02:07 PM

Hi, Everyone!

We're racing around here, getting ready to head out to visit family a couple of states over for four days. We're going to drop the cat off at my sister's in the morning, turn the car onto the interstate, and we're free as a Maisie Bird for a bit.

Lady, I thought of you when I got a few last things at Aldi's this afternoon. They had weight loss shakes, and I forgot to look at them because they weren't on my list! :annoyed: I assume the Atkins shakes are low carb, but I have no idea whether they are low calorie also. What do you think?

I tend to blend a cup of unsweetened chocolate Almond milk with a cup of Hoods' chocolate Calorie Countdown milk, a TBSP of instant coffee crystals, and maybe a bit of s/f French Vanilla liquid coffee creamer for my shakes. Blended with ice cubes, they are sort of like a chocolate shake.

I'm going to remember to look at the calorie count of the shakes next time I shop.

Donna, the berry/strawberry shake sounds delish! I make something similar, with 0 cal strawberry lemonade and strawberries. I freeze some of the strawberry lemonade to be the ice cubes even. This stuff is from Aldi's too, (where I apparently shop a lot LOL) and you're so right. It is very refreshing on these hot days.

Don't sweat the weight loss plateau. They just seem to happen for some reason. I could usually wait them out. Occasionally I had to alter my calorie level some, and I do have to be careful not to be too high on my UDs even on JUDDD if I am also going to be eating at the higher carb level that I enjoy. Maybe you won't have to alter your UD calories at all though. You probably are simply in a little stall while your body gets all in balance once again, and then it'll be ready to shed some more fat. I know you'll do it.

Momof3, I'm so sorry about the relationship you have, or rather don't have, with your mother. I can just sense your stress coming right through your post. Maybe when you go to meals with her, you can just say, "I don't know this restaurant, so I think I'll just have what you're having." Surely she couldn't find fault with you eating like she is eating! LOL

Hang tough! Come back to us in one piece! :hugs:

Wow, Beeb! You seem to be getting some of the appetite suppression/regulation/normalization that often come with doing JUDDD in record time. Good for you. And enjoy your soup when the time comes, even if you don't finish it all. :laugh:

SoHappy 08-03-2011 03:14 PM

I forgot to tell you guys this. I planned to buy more of the Special K Cracker Crisps when I got back, all ready to have a few on DDs, thinking to pile them high with tuna or egg salad or chopped egg and caviar or something. Something fun to eat on a Down Day.

Today at Aldi's I saw Fit & Active Cracker Crisps... in Sour Cream & Onion or Zesty Tomato Flavor. I bought 3 bags of each.

I think the little crackers are smaller, but each bag has 4 servings in it, at the same 110 cals, so if I count out 1/3 servings these will work just fine too, and under $2.00 per bag! A good deal. And, since these cracker crisps are smaller I'll get more per 1/3 serving.

SoHappy 08-03-2011 03:49 PM

OK. Just finished counting out the cracker chips from one Fit & Active bag into little individual baggies. I get 12 servings of 11 cracker chips each for 37 calories. :rofl:

Now I have to think up some fabulous toppings for these. I want these piled high with stuff, and looking really impressive, cause I'm thinking of how I could have a 100-calorie snack tray some evening while we watch a movie on TV.

Any ideas for totally low calorie "stuff" I could put on these? It looks like I need to top 11 crackers for 63 calories, so only about 5 or 6 cals each. It's going to be a challenge, but I think it can work somehow.