Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #211
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I still have my chocolate protein shake left to make and enjoy later this evening. That will be my 'treat' as I watch some television and relax.

I had the bowl of cantaloupe and blueberries, the oatmeal with WF's 0-cal pancake syrup, two of the mock BLT sandwiches, and 2 ounces of chicken thigh meat already.

Once all is tallied up, it comes to 489 calories for the day, broken down into 28% fat, 40% protein, and 32% carbohydrate. Carbs were 42.7 total, with 7.4 fiber, so 35.3 net carbs and 49 grams of protein. ****** says that is enough protein for me, but it is a little on the scant side of my normal intake.

Hope you all have had a great day and eaten well, whether it's been an UD or a DD for you. I look forward to reading what all you made for your meals today.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey View Post
marking my spot! Hi ya'll!
Wifey! Wonderful to see you over here! Might you join us doing JUDDD? I hope so. It's a great plan, and oh, so easy to do.

Kind of like when you were learning what you could eat on low carb? Well, here you just learn what you can eat on DDs, and after that it is pretty darned easy.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #213

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
Thanks! I totally need easy right now! lol I need to go back and read so I can get it just right.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #214
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Hi Ladies
I am doing a full day fast tomorrow and then I am throwing caution to the wind and starting JUDD on Wed. I know some same it is not recommended for binge eaters,but what I am doing now has not stopped binging, so I want to go with it and see what happens. I have to eat low calorie to lose anyway so maybe the every other day routine will be less restrictive in the long run.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Hi Ladies
I am doing a full day fast tomorrow and then I am throwing caution to the wind and starting JUDD on Wed. I know some same it is not recommended for binge eaters,but what I am doing now has not stopped binging, so I want to go with it and see what happens. I have to eat low calorie to lose anyway so maybe the every other day routine will be less restrictive in the long run.
I've followed your struggle, and my heart has gone out to you.

Good luck in your fasting tomorrow. I hope it helps to bring clarity and focus to your mind, and helps you visualize a new perspective for you.

I'd love for JUDDD to be as good and workable for you as it has been for me. I don't know when you did it before whether you had difficulty on any of your Down Days, or whether it was just the Up Days that caused you the harder time. This time I'm rooting for you doubly hard and adding prayers!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #216
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the welcome SoHappy. I only tried it for a few days before and got scared off by hunger on the down days. I plan on around 600-700 calories vs. 500 this time. I really don't feel I have any ground to lose at this point.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #217
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugmama View Post
Hey Y'all!
School has started back up, so here I am! I have maintained all summer (no, I did not do our way of eating---hubby wanted to go out to eat at least three times a week and I was there!!!). Today was my first real DD since the spring. Looks like we have some new faces! I will try and stop in each day. I want to look at some of the posts and catch up...not sure how long that will take me.
Love to all,
Liz
Hello!!! Glad to meet you and looking forward to your expertise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
OK, So Happy and Beep have convinced me to come over to the dark side!!

Iíve been Paleo for several months now with no gluten or dairy due to health issues. I have been slowly gaining weight while keeping my carbs at about 40-60 per day from mostly veggie sources. Low carb does not seem to control my hunger AT ALL.

I ordered Dr. Johnsonís book and read it last week. I started my first down day on Saturday at 500 calories. I was surprised at how easy it was. Iím on DD 2 today and Iím feeling great!!

Iím not going to weigh until this Saturday so I will report any loss then. I honestly cannot believe how easy this has been for me. I wanted to test it out on Saturday before I decided because I honestly did not know how I would do on it.

Beep, you have been a great sales person for this as well as So Happy. If I had not read your comments about this so often I would never have popped into this part of the site. Thank you both for this!!
and so happy I could help get you to come over to JUDDD with us! I'm sure you are going to love it as much as we all do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey View Post
marking my spot! Hi ya'll!
OMG, my dearest wifey!!! SOOOO glad to see you, girlfriend!!!

Quote:
Hi Ladies
Jeaneim and good to see you here! I think you are going to be glad you took the risk! Like SoHappy says, it's the BEST of both worlds and I'm just LOVING it!!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #218

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome SoHappy. I only tried it for a few days before and got scared off by hunger on the down days. I plan on around 600-700 calories vs. 500 this time. I really don't feel I have any ground to lose at this point.
I know what you are saying.

It was a strange thing to me, but when I first started to do JUDDD, it was usually really hard to stick to 500 or fewer calories on my DDs. As the time went by, it became much easier, and now it is almost always pretty easy to have a day at that calorie level with little trouble at all.

Looking back on it all now, I wonder if it wouldn't have been a whole lot easier for me to start out at a somewhat higher calorie level for DDs, and then back myself down to a 500 level after a few weeks.

I mean, frankly, I was doing this for weight loss and maintenance, not really that *lengthening of lifespan* angle, so it really mattered little that I had DDs at some magic level.. 20% of my UD calories, or 35% or whatever...

So if you are going to do JUDDD again, I expect you are smart to arrange your days in such a way and at such a calorie level that will help you attain success. If very low calories were a problem, perhaps starting at that higher level of 700 or so will be a help. You can always bring your calorie count down as the days and weeks pass.

I'm so wanting this to work well for you this time. If you run into any problems, post like crazy for help and support!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #219
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks. I will most definitely post. Did I see a recipe thread with ideas for down days somewhere?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #220

Quote:
Thanks. I will most definitely post. Did I see a recipe thread with ideas for down days somewhere?
HERE:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...y-recipes.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...s-recipes.html

JUDDD: Down Day Menus and Recipes
Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #221

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
Hi Linda! I'm excited to learn more about this WOE! Thank you for the awesome info!
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #222
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pugmama
Well, I didn't make my 500 cals. as planned yesterday, but 650. Somebody on here used to say that when they got weak they would just remind themselves that they could eat tomorrow. I just kept telling myself that I could have more tomorrow. I am not doing lowcarb with this...that doesn't work for me. I have an arrhythmia in my heart (had the ablation and take meds), but anytime I do lowcarb, it messes up my electrolytes and my heart starts racing. I tried it just one more time this summer to make sure. I did a modified low carb and after three days, well, there it was! I couldn't sleep, either. Now, I'm not using real sugar and I do eat the 40 cal. no sugar bread, but everything else is open!
Gotta fly. Break is up and we are fixin' to have a fire drill. (He lets us know ahead of time on the practice drills!).
Everyone have a great day! Do y'all count calories on your UD?
Pugmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugmama View Post
..........Do y'all count calories on your UD?..........
I do about half the time. When we eat lunch at home, it's pretty easy to measure and weigh and count the calories, etc... but even then, I only do it when the meal includes foods I'm not too familiar with. Mostly I'm the one who prepares the foods, so I know -gut feel- whether they are foods higher or lower in calories, and about how much my portion should be.

And just like with most diets, after awhile, you've already got the calorie counts figured from the past, so you get to the point where you don't have to figure calories anymore. That already was taken care of in the past. Now you know how much to eat without having any of that chore to do anymore.

When we eat out, I eat anything and don't worry about the calories, except that I make certain that I don't overeat. As long as I practice the ol' *eating in moderation* thing, I can delight in almost any food on earth. Love it! Thank you, JUDDD!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #224
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12
Good morning all! Well unfortunately last night I over drank some light beers so I'm going to count that as an UD and do a DD today. And really try avoiding the alcohol next time! So today will be 34 fat, 14 carbs, 44 pro and approx 600 Cals

I'll ck back in if I do something different but this is what I planned. Have a great day everyone!
laceymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #226

How come I'm never hungry on my UDs?! I'm having steak and shrimp tonight on the grill and that thai cucumber salad that I made yesterday and never got to eat. But as far as thinking about anymore food for the day my mind is just not there!

Rainy day, feel like sleeping all day but clients are coming so I gotta get up and about.

Just not hungry and hoping later I will be more to get those calories up for today!

As far a counting calories on my UDs I'm doing that now, but once I have all my foods in my food journal I will pretty much know what I should eat to get to my 1600 calorie day, like SoHappy says. I also don't worry when I eat out, just eat enough to be "full" and take the rest home for a UDs dinner another day.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.Ē
Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #227

Good Morning, All.

This will be the second DD in a row for me in *The Big Experiment* to see what the results of a 2 Down & 1 Up rotation might yield. Will there be much difference at all? Will the rate of weight loss accelerate? Will my metabolism slow down? Will I get so hungry with two DDs that I fold? Will I be driven to eat far too much on my single UD? Will I lose it and kill my DH, who leaves shaving cream on the sink?

So far, this morning feels much like any other morning after a normal Down Day. I'm not particularly hungry, and am enjoying my mug of hot tea. I've planned my meals and calories for the day - did that last night - and I'm set. It's only 10:15 in the morning, but no problems so far.

Today I will have egg salad made with 6 hard egg whites, the low fat mayo AND low fat miracle whip and some yellow mustard and chopped onion, w/salt & pepper. It's a big bowl full, so that will be a good-sized meal!

Sometime later I'll have a large salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, some chopped raw cauliflower, and my favorite Italian dressing. Maybe a sprinkle of parm cheese from the can, or a couple of homemade croutons. I'll have to see if the calories allow.

Supper will be stir fry with lots of broccoli, onion, and chicken topped with my General Tso's sauce, and maybe a smidge more hot chili paste worked in.

I'll stay at my 500 calorie limit. Will post actual percentages, etc. this evening if I remember.

Hope you all have a great day. I always pop in here off and on all the time to read everyone's posts. LOVE this place!

Last edited by SoHappy; 08-16-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #228

SoHappy, is your General Tao sauce recipe in the JUDDD recipe sticky or thread?

Sound yummy and would love to bookmark it!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
SoHappy, is your General Tao sauce recipe in the JUDDD recipe sticky or thread?

Sound yummy and would love to bookmark it!
Yes, post #26 of this thread: JUDDD: Down Day Menus and Recipes

It's a pretty adaptable recipe for Asian sauces. You can make the basic General Tso sauce, or add hot chili paste to make it as hot and spicy as you want. You can make a good orange sauce with it by subbing some orange drink for the base of chicken broth, and you can make it as sweet as you want it to be with your various sweeteners of choice, etc. You can make it stronger in soy sauce, or go the fish sauce route, or add in more vinegar and sweetener if you want more of the sweet & sour flavor, etc.

Very adaptable sauce recipe.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
Checking in here
I'm going to take a break from JUDDD. It's a great plan, but not sure it's for me at this time. There are two issues: 1. I do not have the energy to work out. I mean anything more than a leisurely walk. I want to start running again and there's no way I can do it on such low calories. 2. I have been totally obsessed with planning my down and up days. It's taken over my whole life I'm going to take some time to figure out what will work for me. I will continue to peek in here to see how everyone's doing because I love to see so many having success!

I really want to thank beeb, SoHappy and everyone else for the guidance and support Who knows, I might be back... (in my ominous Terminator voice... )

Sally
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
SoHappy, I'm hoping for Mr. SoHappy's sake that your 2nd DD in a row goes well. I'd hate to see him die over shaving cream. I'm very curious to see how this experiment goes. It might give me something else to put into my "cycling" routine.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
Checking in here
I'm going to take a break from JUDDD. It's a great plan, but not sure it's for me at this time. There are two issues: 1. I do not have the energy to work out. I mean anything more than a leisurely walk. I want to start running again and there's no way I can do it on such low calories. 2. I have been totally obsessed with planning my down and up days. It's taken over my whole life I'm going to take some time to figure out what will work for me. I will continue to peek in here to see how everyone's doing because I love to see so many having success!

I really want to thank beeb, SoHappy and everyone else for the guidance and support Who knows, I might be back... (in my ominous Terminator voice... )

Sally
Hate to see you go, but completely understand the need for us all to find what works the very best for us.

I only obsessed over the meal planning and calorie counts in the first couple of weeks I was doing JUDDD. After that, for the most part, I just keep fixing mostly the same foods and meals, so that planning is now past. Now I only have to pay attention if I eat a new menu. I suppose that's what they call a rut. But it's the same rut on many of my days, so no obsessing needed now.

Wishing you the very best, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you zero in on a plan that is exactly what you need to lose the last few and fuel your body for your runs. So far, I'm not finding I lack strength for my exercise, but I'll bet I don't hit the machines as hard as you do, or run nearly as far. My 'runs' are usually more than half walking, and don't go on for too many miles. Wherever the Nature Trail gets a little muddy, that's where I turn back!

Do drop by and say HI. We'll miss you.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
SoHappy, I'm hoping for Mr. SoHappy's sake that your 2nd DD in a row goes well. I'd hate to see him die over shaving cream. I'm very curious to see how this experiment goes. It might give me something else to put into my "cycling" routine.
Well, so far today I'm doing wonderfully and feeling great. No particular appetite driving me to kill.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
Checking in here

Sally
Will miss you Sally so PLEASE do check in and say hi!! I'm sorry you are finding JUDDD an issue, but I know we all have to find what works for us and I'm sure you will do just that!

Take care, and will be thinking about you!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #235
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DWhalen4
Stats: 255/225/150
WOE: Atkins / JUDDD
Start Date: 6/1/11
Hi All, wanted to post and say hello. I did a waterfast yesterday and am doing an up day today. I've been following your thread for about a week along with a few others and decided to give it a try. I've been doing Atkins since June, and several other times over the years. I just don't see it as a woe I can live with for life, so I'm constantly tweaking trying to find that woe that feels like me. I figure once I find a "happy" plan, I can then tweak it as needed to encourage the losses to be faster, but its more important to me right now to find something I feel I can do for life.

I'm at work, so shhh happy to fill you in a bit more on me later but wanted to say Hi!

Debra
DWhalen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhalen4 View Post
Hi All, wanted to post and say hello. I did a waterfast yesterday and am doing an up day today. I've been following your thread for about a week along with a few others and decided to give it a try. I've been doing Atkins since June, and several other times over the years. I just don't see it as a woe I can live with for life, so I'm constantly tweaking trying to find that woe that feels like me. I figure once I find a "happy" plan, I can then tweak it as needed to encourage the losses to be faster, but its more important to me right now to find something I feel I can do for life.

I'm at work, so shhh happy to fill you in a bit more on me later but wanted to say Hi!

Debra
Debra and glad to have you join us!! Looking forward to hearing about your progress on JUDDD!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #237

Shhhh..... whispering..... Welcome, Debra.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #238
Big Yapper!!!!

Right there with you SoHappy. Have fasted all day except for a little 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee. Starting to get just a tad hungry but it will pass I am sure. I will have an iced coffee later with a touch of cream. I wish I could go to bed early tonight but I can't.

I need to decide whether I want tomorrow my first JUDD today to be an up or down day

Last edited by jeaniem; 08-16-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #239

Quote:
Right there with you SoHappy. Have fasted all day except for a little 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee. Starting to get just a tad hungry but it will pass I am sure. I will have an iced coffee later with a touch of cream. I wish I could go to bed early tonight but I can't.

I need to decide whether I want to tomorrow my first JUDD today to be an up or down day
If it were me, it would most certainly be an Up Day, carefully planned out and filled with nourishing and delicious foods, of course at my moderate carb level, and I would make certain, certain, certain I had a goodly sized evening *snack* for later in the evening after supper. That's always my most delightful and cozy time of the day, and some little scrumptious thing is a warming and welcoming part of my happy routine. It might be an apple, peeled and cored and cut into pieces, microwaved in a little half & half until tender, and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or cinnamon Splenda, and drizzled over with something like the Walden Farms Maple Pancake Syrup. Pretty low calorie treat, actually, but I feel like I'm pampering myself.

On DDs I'm more firm and austere with myself. I make myself toe the line. LOL

But here's what I'm hoping not to see you do, my Dear Friend, and that is to become so rigid and austere yourself that you destroy your resolve. Treat yourself gently and lovingly on JUDDD if you are going to do JUDDD. Allow yourself to actually enjoy the little semi-fasts we call Down Days. And try to do them about as designed. And then allow yourself to truly enjoy your Up Days -for what they hold for you and allow of you- without abusing them by spinning out of control. Delight in what you can have, and acknowledge that none of us can have it all. Enjoy it, and then return to your beautiful little Down Day the next day, and then the sweetness of the Up Day, and so on.

I hope you will try not to *push* anything too much, or get too wound up. Let me be grandma and give you the advice to relax for a bit here. Be at peace. Relax.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #240
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the advice SoHappy. I really need to remember the evening snack suggestion that is always the hardest part of my day by far.
I was thinking about initially only counting cals on the down days and eating until full (not stuffed) on up days. I am thinking this may feel less obsessive to me and the up day calories seem too high to me that I calculated at the Johnson website.

Last edited by jeaniem; 08-16-2011 at 01:04 PM..