Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
..........I'll put these recipes in this thread because I don't think they fit well in a JUDDD down day thread due to calories involved...........
Wow, Donna! Just reading those two recipes made my mouth water. I'll hunt an eggplant down the next time I hit a Farmer's Market here, and I'll most certainly be making the spinach too.

Thanks for taking the time to post here, and I agree that these were probably best NOT in the DD recipes thread.

I think you must be a wonderful cook!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #122
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
LCMoon, I didn't see any loss until my 3 UD. When I stepped on that scale I was so happy to have lost 2 pounds!! You will see it, I'm sure and when you do you gotta let us all know!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbmoon View Post
Actually, I had to take Dad to his doc appt. today so I weighed while I was there (though I had planned not to weigh until at least next tuesday) because I wanted to compare their scales with these at home. I weighed when I got home and they were the same .. and showed no loss at all yet. However, I just started .. tomorrow will be only my 2nd DD so I really was not expecting anything yet. Which is great .. that way I wasn't terribly disappointed. I have told myself not to fret even if there is no loss the first whole week .. to give it at least two weeks before really expecting anything. I figure my body may need a little time to adjust to the changes. Does that sound right?

I felt really good today. Last night I was really looking forward to breakfast for this morning. But when I got up it didn't seem too pressing so I guess I didn't starve myself too badly yesterday. LOL
Moon, you may be right. I can't remember when I first noticed the first little bit of loss once I started JUDDD. It was pretty soon after I started, though.

I can't remember how many calories you are doing on your Down Days, and how many calories you are holding to on your Up Days. ? (So, I don't know what your averages are, but they must be pretty low. You're eating a lot of baby carrots! LOL)

Sounds like you are doing a good job. Good luck in seeing that lower number on your scale real soon.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
When I did JUDDD a year ago, I didn't weigh for the first two weeks, on the advice of the others in the thread. When I finally did weigh, I'd lost something like 4 or 5 pounds (better than it sounds, because I went to JUDDD straight from being stalled on strict Atkins!)
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #125

Quote:
BTW, I did have that salad for supper .. only I added 8 green olives, some juice from the banana peppers, cumin, and a little shredded cheddar to it. LOVED IT! It is almost 11p.m. here and I am still not hungry so looks like I will not need a snack today. YAAAAY!

I did get in a lot of cals today. 1430 cals ... and so worth it. Tomorrow is a DD and I am prepared for it. I have soup, salad, raw veggies, and strawberries waiting on me.

Found out I totally hate ff mayo still. I will try it again tomorrow ... will add some cumin, garlic, onion powder, and juice from banana peppers to it and see what I think. Back when my MIL was still with us, she had told me someone had made tuna with sour cream in it .. and she thought it was the best she ever tasted. I may give that a try with some FF sour cream. Any of y'all ever tried it like that?
I think it was Donna (PenguinPower) who mentioned fat free Kraft Miracle Whip to me... only 15 calories in a tablespoon of the stuff, and I actually love it. So tuna salad has to have that in it on my DDs now. And I make egg salad with it too. I truly think it is delicious!

Fat free mayo is OK tasting to me, but I only use it on my DDs if I need mayo for something. On my UDs I use regular mayo. I do think your idea to use cumin, garlic, onion powder, and banana pepper juice in it sound intriguing. Let us know how that turns out!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
When I did JUDDD a year ago, I didn't weigh for the first two weeks, on the advice of the others in the thread. When I finally did weigh, I'd lost something like 4 or 5 pounds (better than it sounds, because I went to JUDDD straight from being stalled on strict Atkins!)
Hey, Jessica! I think you're the Queen of weight loss lately anyway, with all you've lost on your HCG stint.

When are you coming back here to JUDDD? Will you be doing any of your future levels of the protocol in the JUDDD manner?

Can't wait to hear about some of your ways to do 500-calorie days and still be eating well. Now I will run over to your journal and see if you've posted any more over there.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #127
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
I'd like to lose as much as I can as I finish phase 2, and then after I'm stabilized, lose the remaining ten pounds or so I expect to have left with JUDDD.

After that, I'm going to try to maintain on Atkins, and maybe switch periodically to JUDDD for variety.

Of course, all of that is IF I am able to get to goal. I hope I can, I hope I can, I hope I can......
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
LOL .. actually, I have only had a total of 6 baby carrots (and they were definitely the smallest baby carrots ever) ... but I am so glad I had the willpower to only allow myself 3 per day because .. man .. i could eat a baggie of these everyday! If I were not diabetic, I would use this a lot for my DD.

I will try the miracle whip once this nasty mayo is gone (if I can salvage it by adding spices and such). At the worst, I can mix it half-n-half with real mayo for my UDs until it is gone.

vebqueen .. I think that was good advice. From what I have read, the "skinny gene" activates quickly so there should be a loss the first week. but I don't want to take a chance at being disappointed so I think the two week mark sounds great. Especially after I have lost nothing in 2 months. I am really looking forward to no longer be seeing the same 5 pounds going up and down!

For what it is worth, the jeans I wore today are a size smaller than the ones I wore before starting in May. They were quite loose.

Hey! I don't think I ever mentioned it .. but I bought a lovely evening gown last week for only $1 !!! It is way too small and Lord knows I won't ever get a chance to wear it anywhere ... but for $1 I thought it would make a great inspiration to hang in sight.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #129

OMG, I'm down another .6 pounds and only .8 pounds from my goal weight!

I just can't believe it! Never did I think the weight would melt off like this, and I'm eating well, not starving myself and the fact that I now have all of the wholesome, higher veggie/fruit/grain carbs I wouldn't have before is just an added plus for me! And believe me, I eating well, not crazy processed stuff, but all the homemade good things I love, and still keeping it pretty low carb!

I'M ONE HAPPY CAMPER!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 08-12-2011 at 07:12 AM..
Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
OMG, I'm down another .6 pounds and only .8 pounds from my goal weight!

I just can't believe it! Never did I think the weight would melt off like this, and I'm eating well, not starving myself and the fact that I now have all of the wholesome, higher veggie/fruit/grain carbs I wouldn't have before is just an added plus for me! And believe me, I eating well, not crazy processed stuff, but all the homemade good things I love, and still keeping it pretty low carb!

I'M ONE HAPPY CAMPER!!
Linda, you don't even know how happy I am for you! Yup. It works.

And we, here, are mostly focused on JUDDD for weight loss and/or maintenance of a current weight, but the calorie restriction studies that this diet is based on were for extension of lifespan and the healing or alleviation of some illnesses and health conditions.

For some reason, calorie restriction extends length of life, shown in all their studies on all the animal models they used including primates. There is no reason not to expect this is also the case with humans.

And the effect on the body and mind is just wonderful. I don't know why, but vitality seems to go up. I experienced an increase in pep and energy. (Believe me.. at age 68 years that's something that you really pay attention to and notice! LOL)

For myself, not having that *List of Forbidden Foods* sort of thing hanging over my head was like I was paroled from prison. I could struggle doing very low carb and not be able to lose much weight, probably because of the higher fat levels in so much of what I fixed. Yeah, I still eat all of that stuff!, and love it, but it doesn't make up the main bulk of my diet to the exclusion of a great world of OTHER foods I also like to eat.

I guess it's this... I still eat all that stuff... luscious meats of all kinds, steak and roasts and seafood, rich butter and heavy cream and wonderful cheeses, good olive oil and mayo and all the wonderful foods that low carb has to offer. AND THEN, I also am able to eat of the foods that I also enjoyed... such as real pasta and rice and potatoes and corn. Breads, breads, cereals and breads. Cherry pie. Chocolate cake. A Dairy Queen Blizzard. Etc. I guess the big thing is, I get to eat those things on this plan, but I don't eat it all, all the time. I still eat according to my calorie ceilings most always, and most of the foods I include in most of my meals are still pretty low and reasonable in carbs. It's just that now I can also eat anything else I desire. I appreciate that a lot, and that's made all the difference for me in the pleasure of staying an a plan. I am not driven to CHEAT, because there are no cheat foods out there in the world. They are all mine if I want them.

Some folks ridicule *Everything in Moderation* as a way to eat and claim they want to be able to eat large amounts and not count calories, but I do notice that often those are people who are almost twice my size, so maybe that is why they can eat that way and I couldn't. Anyway, I like to eat this way. I guess we all get to choose how we want to eat. Free country and all that. But when I see the daily menus posted by some folks, I just think if I had to eat like that, I'd say, "God, take me now!"

All of this to say, CONGRATULATIONS, LINDA, and I'm so happy for you!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Hey there JUDDDers - what a glorious day! The weather here has been so awesome, and today looks like more of the same with a high in the upper 70s, little humidity and puffy pretty clouds in a sunny sky. I hope it holds through tomorrow for my friend's son's wedding, since the ceremony itself is outdoors -they're predicting rain, though. Fortunately, the weather people are almost always wrong!

Linda, congrats on your loss, and thanks for the info about Panera. It sounds like a wonderful option to enjoy a meal out with friends, and one I would have never even considered.

Salamander - oh my gosh, I can't even comprehend weighing only 99 pounds. I can't recall ever being that weight although I must've been at some point! Congrats on achieving tininess, and MAJOR congrats for getting yourself in hand to stay so slim and beautiful and healthy. I can only wish I had had that much sense when I was young and thinner.

Lowcarbmoon, I think you are doing great - attitude is everything! I was fortunate when I started because I was away from home for three weeks. That sounds a little crazy but what helped me was getting away from my routine, and being unable to weigh! I am such a slow loser and I worried so much that a lack of progress on the scale would cause me to throw in the towel before giving the diet a chance. Fortunately, at the end of my long trip, I had shown an encouraging loss and I've been JUDDDing every since. I'm still an excruciatingly slow loser, but I'm feeling great and healthier.

Jon-Jon, woo hoo!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

SoHappy - I meant to tell you, I tried hunting down those cracker chips at my Aldi's and couldn't find them! We have a small Aldi's, though, so when I was over at a friend's I stopped at their larger one and found several bags of the "tomato" flavor - in the clearance bin. I hope they're not going to phase them out. I bought all that they had (3 bags) and they are good! So much less expensive than the Kellogg's ones, but just as good of a crunch.

I HATE Miracle Whip so someone else must've recommended it lol!

I don't like the FF mayos either. I did get a jar of Kraft Lowfat Olive Oil with Cracked Pepper mayo - it's mildly tolerable mostly due to the strong cracked pepper taste drowning out the taste of the low-fat mayo. I made some tuna salad with about a tsp of that mayo and a tbs of fat-free greek yogurt and it wasn't bad. At that rate, I am sure the mayo will go bad before I can use it up. Fortunately it was one of my crazy coupon lady bargains so if I waste it, no loss.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
I'd like to lose as much as I can as I finish phase 2, and then after I'm stabilized, lose the remaining ten pounds or so I expect to have left with JUDDD.

After that, I'm going to try to maintain on Atkins, and maybe switch periodically to JUDDD for variety.

Of course, all of that is IF I am able to get to goal. I hope I can, I hope I can, I hope I can......
Looking forward to having you back here daily to visit with us.

You said you thought you'd maintain your losses by following Atkins. Do you think you will be doing calorie cycling then too, or just maintain at a mostly level calorie number, or just not even pay attention to calories at all if you don't eat at a very high carb level anyway.

You've done a wonderful job, and I know you're One Happy Camper right about now.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #134

Quote:
For what it is worth, the jeans I wore today are a size smaller than the ones I wore before starting in May. They were quite loose.

Hey! I don't think I ever mentioned it .. but I bought a lovely evening gown last week for only $1 !!! It is way too small and Lord knows I won't ever get a chance to wear it anywhere ... but for $1 I thought it would make a great inspiration to hang in sight.
Whoa, Moon! Down a size in jeans! Way to go!

And I think having some gorgeous little gown to look at and visualize in your mind *getting slim, eating correctly, losing weight, getting slim, eating correctly, losing weight* is wonderful for motivation.

I sometimes go browse through all the clothing racks at our department stores. Not buying anything, but just looking through the little things that are small sizes and look so cute. It is good motivation for me.

I actually do still have a pair of darling slacks with an amazing blouse that I wore several decades ago, when I was very, very slim. I keep it just as a reminder of how little I truly was back then. I was in my 40s, and just a little bit of a gal. I would never want to be that slim at my age, as I'd look like I was on the verge of death (don't like the look of old truly scrawny women, and that's what I'd be if I ever got down to that weight again LOL) but I'll always keep that little outfit I wore back then.

These days I just like to maintain about as you see me in my avatar picture. Not too heavy, and not really slim either. Enough *flesh* to be robust, and enough underlying fat to not be so wrinkly I scare little children!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #135

Thanks everyone for the compliments and encouragements! You guys are AWESOME! MOON, I LOVE the idea of the "gown"! And for a dollar!! Gotta love a smart shopper!! It's great to hear about the jeans, too. Sometimes I hadn't lost a pound but the clothes fit so different I knew something was going on! Penguin, enjoy the wedding and I'm doing my "Sun Dance" for you guys! And Verbqueen, it's nice to see you here! I haven't seen you in a long time on the main board and thought you were gone! Glad I was wrong!!

Today is my UD and I've enjoyed a nice BLT on homemade grain bread I make myself in the bread machine and some really great cherries. I actually always make my own bread now. It's around 95 to 105 calories per nice sized slice, so on DDs if I want bread I just cut that slice in half for the same calories for 2 pieces of bread. I like making my own because then I know what is in there and it really keeps very well in the fridge. I use Jennifer Eloff's bread recipe and one for Rye bread that I adapted from another recipe I have to make it lower in carbs.

Going out to an Italian restaurant with DBF tonight and I never thought I would say "Italian restaurant" again without being concerned on what I was going to eat. NOW I can eat a little pasta or crusty bread without stressing about it going to add a pound on tomorrow. Like you, SoHappy, I love not having that "I can or shouldn't have" or " Black List" as I have called it, over my head anymore! It is so freeing and what's really funny is that without that "Black List" anymore I really haven't gone hog wild for that food on that list like I thought I would. Mind over matter because now I can have it so it's not a challenge? Don't know but really liking it!

There is one thing I had to stop myself from doing last night in the grocery store, though. I started looking at a lot of processed foods, thinking if the calories are low enough for a down day I can eat them, but I stopped myself. I realized that just because I'm eating higher carbs now and the "Black List" is gone it doesn't give me a license to eat crappy food again. I pride myself on eating wholesome, and mostly homemade foods, and going back to eating all that processed stuff, low cal or not is NOT where I want to be again. SO.....in reality this is a wonderful WOE for me. I get the best of ALL worlds and still eat well!

Will let you all know how the Italian dinner goes! Have a glorious day everyone!!

Last edited by Beeb; 08-12-2011 at 08:40 AM..
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #136

Quote:
SoHappy - I meant to tell you, I tried hunting down those cracker chips at my Aldi's and couldn't find them! We have a small Aldi's, though, so when I was over at a friend's I stopped at their larger one and found several bags of the "tomato" flavor - in the clearance bin. I hope they're not going to phase them out. I bought all that they had (3 bags) and they are good! So much less expensive than the Kellogg's ones, but just as good of a crunch.

I HATE Miracle Whip so someone else must've recommended it lol!

I don't like the FF mayos either. I did get a jar of Kraft Lowfat Olive Oil with Cracked Pepper mayo - it's mildly tolerable mostly due to the strong cracked pepper taste drowning out the taste of the low-fat mayo. I made some tuna salad with about a tsp of that mayo and a tbs of fat-free greek yogurt and it wasn't bad. At that rate, I am sure the mayo will go bad before I can use it up. Fortunately it was one of my crazy coupon lady bargains so if I waste it, no loss.
I did notice that when I found those chips at Aldi's, they were a *special* and *limited time* item, so lots of times, when those are gone, they're gone forever. But sometimes they get those specials back again, so all we can do is hope.

I like the Zesty Tomato ones a whole lot better than the sour cream whatever ones. Those were a lot like dumping a envelope of ranch dressing powder into your mouth. Too strong, and something in that flavor I just didn't like very much.

LOL about it not being you that recommended the ff Miracle Whip! I love that stuff. And, yeah, the ff mayo is not remotely the same product as real mayo, but it does the trick for me on my DDs. I use regular stuff on my UDs. My husband can't figure out why I have so many jars of stuff in the refrigerator, but I tell him I have to have low calorie stuff on certain days, and he just says.. "whatever..."
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Well darn on the limited time for Aldi's - a couple of years ago, they had these incredibly delicious ground chicken breast burger patties in the cooler case. They were quite simply the most delicious pre-cooked burgers I've ever tasted. They have never come back, argh!

Another Aldi's product I like a lot for DDs is the Sugarfree Hazelnut coffee creamer. It's 15 calories a tbs. and makes my coffee nice and creamy, and I like hazelnut.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #138

Quote:
..........Going out to an Italian restaurant with DBF tonight and I never thought I would say "Italian restaurant" again without being concerned on what I was going to eat. NOW I can eat a little pasta or crusty bread without stressing about it going to add a pound on tomorrow. Like you, SoHappy, I love not having that "I can or shouldn't have" or " Black List" as I have called it, over my head anymore! It is so freeing and what's really funny is that without that "Black List" anymore I really haven't gone hog wild for that food on that list like I thought I would. Mind over matter because now I can have it so it's not a challenge? Don't know but really liking it!

There is one thing I had to stop myself from doing last night in the grocery store, though. I started looking at a lot of processed foods, thinking if the calories are low enough for a down day I can eat them, but I stopped myself. I realized that just because I'm eating higher carbs now and the "Black List" is gone it doesn't give me a license to eat crappy food again. I pride myself on eating wholesome, and mostly homemade foods, and going back to eating all that processed stuff, low cal or not is NOT where I want to be again. SO.....in reality this is a wonderful WOE for me. I get the best of ALL worlds and still eat well!..........
You have absolutely pinpointed what I think about this plan right in those two sentences.

"..........without that "Black List" anymore I really haven't gone hog wild for that food.........." If you are a person who can't remain in control of yourself when you know you can have anything, JUDDD may be tough for you. The whole objective is to be able to eat really well, but within your limits. For me, that is like when I was a kid and most everyone in my town was slim because they just naturally ate in a portion controlled manner. If you can't control your eating, and you also want to be eating at a somewhat higher carb level, this plan probably won't work for you as well as some other diet plan might.

"..........I started looking at a lot of processed foods, thinking if the calories are low enough for a down day I can eat them.........." And here's the crux of so many of our problems with obesity and attempting weight loss nowdays. (In my opinion.) Much of that food isn't really good for us. I do eat a few commercial products which are formulated and processed, and chosen for use on my DDs based on their very low calorie count. But even on my DDs, I don't eat much of that stuff. It's an aid, but that's all. I eat mostly just a lot of veggies with some simple protein on DDs, and when I add in some of the manufactured products, it's quite limited.

I haven't had any of that 40-calorie-per-slice bread for a few weeks on any of my DDs, but I have enjoyed an occasional chunk of French baguette on UDs. I still have most of my wrapped cheese slices of Kraft ff cheese from the first two packages I bought when I started this plan! I love the new snacky things they call Cracker Crisps, but don't eat them on every DD, and even then.. only 36 calories worth, and that's it.

For myself, I'm just not going to go back there again in my life. Most of those manufactured and processed foods are awfully tasty, but I think basically crap and made out of crappy refined ingredients that have lost nutritional value, plus they add in a lot of chemicals and preservatives... I just am glad to not ever introduce much of that stuff back into our diets. (If I want something that is manufactured and packaged or wrapped, I'll choose a Snickers Bar! I always did like those! LOLOLOL)

So I think you have taken a giant step in solidifying how to get the best out of JUDDD without letting its *freedoms* swirl you out of control. Thanks for posting about it. Reading that helps me keep this knowledge firmly in my own mind.

Last edited by SoHappy; 08-12-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #139

Quote:
Well darn on the limited time for Aldi's - a couple of years ago, they had these incredibly delicious ground chicken breast burger patties in the cooler case. They were quite simply the most delicious pre-cooked burgers I've ever tasted. They have never come back, argh!

Another Aldi's product I like a lot for DDs is the Sugarfree Hazelnut coffee creamer. It's 15 calories a tbs. and makes my coffee nice and creamy, and I like hazelnut.
Aaarrrgggghhhhh! I missed out on those chicken breast burgers!

I hear you on the sugarfree creamers, except that I choose the French Vanilla flavor. I don't like the hazelnut probably about as much as you DO like it. Ha. And I sometimes add a couple of tablespoons of the creamer into unsweetened chocolate almond milk when I make shakes or hot chocolate, etc. Although, mostly I just use the plain Aldi's half & half, which DH and I both think is the best half & half we've ever tasted!!!

The one product that I have looked for forevermore is a little round cardboard that housed 6 lovely foil-wrapped wedges of a reduced fat cheese, like that Laughing Cow stuff. Low calorie and absolutely delicious. Gone! Never to return!

Now when I shop, if the price signage is printed in red and it's a special buy item, and if I think I might like that... I open the package and taste what I'm buying right then and there. Then I know to put a whole lot more in my cart. I did that with the tomato cracker crisps. Unhappily, I didn't also taste the sour cream ones, which I don't like. Hence, I've ended up with 5 bags of each, when I should have just ended up with 10 bags of the tomato flavor! So even then I did it wrong.

I wonder if we could make our own ground chicken burger patties? Hmmmm..... You're a great cook, Donna! Go develop those and come back here and post instructions!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: The Brew Crew 6
Stats: 220/188/120
WOE: HCG
Start Date: off and on for as long as I can remember!
Hello Everyone!

I am new to JUDDD but definitely not to the dieting world. I have done it all, and the only thing I have had success with is Atkins. I plan to mostly stick to a lo-carb JUDDD lifestyle, with the occasional carby treat on UD's if I feel like it.

I think this is the plan for me, simply for a mental reason. It seems to me that as soon as I have a particular food group that is of limits, its the ONLY thing that I crave. Even if I dont really care for it on a daily basis before. I am also looking forward to not having to make all kinds of 'special' foods just to have something that remotely resembles the food the rest of my (skinny, argh) family eats. I can just wait til the next day! And lets face it, there arent many foods that arent better the next day.

I wanted to ask what some of your favorite foods for DD's are? I think I am going to be eating a lot of hard boiled egg whites, and LF Greek Yogurt, as they are both very filling. I am trying to avoid salt, since I am incredibly bloated from 3 months of prednisone treatments. I love fresh foods, and fish and shrimp, so those will be a staple as well. I also went to Culinary school, so there are a lot of things I can tweak to make 'on plan'.

Anyway, now that I have thoroughly rambled, I welcome your advice, tips, recipes, and positive thoughts!!

Happy Friday everyone!
mini goal #1: 185
mini goal #2: 175
mini goal #3: 150

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels

The Brew Crew 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #141

Welcome, BrewCrew! So glad you've joined us in the JUDDD plan. I truly think this is such a simple plan and as with most diets, when you follow it correctly and simply DO IT, the results are wonderful.

And, personally, I'm tickled to hear that you went to culinary school. We'll be expecting many postings of reworked recipes that will be something 'different' for DD meals. At least, I'm one who seems to fall into a rut as to what I finally settle on for DDs, and that gets to be a little boring sometimes. Many of us eat at a calorie level of about 500-cals on our DDs (when we are in weight loss mode), so that doesn't give us very much leeway for meals to cover an entire day. Some here are eating more in the 700 calorie range on DDs, so they have a bit more squeak room when they choose their foods, but new recipes will be fun for us all.

Glad you're joining us!

Edited to Add: Have you figured out your needed Up Day calorie level yet? And have you decided at what percentage of that you are going to hold your Down Days too?

Last edited by SoHappy; 08-12-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: The Brew Crew 6
Stats: 220/188/120
WOE: HCG
Start Date: off and on for as long as I can remember!
according to the JUDDD website I am going to range somewhere from 420-510 on DD's and about 2000 on UD's. I have lots of favorite "naughty foods" that I am already working into a calendar or my UD's this month. LOL.

I also really like shiritake noodles. I plan to use those on DD's too, once the cold weather sets in. I love crock pot meals, chili, beef stew, chicken and dumplings...things of that sort. I think I am going to be working with a lot of shrimp, which is no biggie, cause the whole family loves them, even the little kiddies. My biggest issue will be snacking and sweets. I love slurpees, and iced coffees, and all the bad stuff. Right now I am looking into this thing my son saw on an informercial to make your own slurpees. It would be great if I could use some SF Kool-Aid or Crystal Light for an occasional treat! I also make my own LC Ice cream and sorbet. Nothing beats LC Lemon Sorbet on a hot summer day!

Anyway, what are some of your fav foods? Staples? Thanks for your advice!
The Brew Crew 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #143

Brew!!! So nice to have you on board and I, too am looking forward to some "tweaked" DD recipe! (You should have NEVER told us you went to culinary school!! ) I am a JUDDDer doing 700 on DDs and 1400/1600 on UDs and it's working very well for me. I like to be inventive with those calories and have made LOTS of different veggie dishes on those days. I am finding that I'm almost eating more like a vegetarian WOE on my DDs but I do throw in a bit of protein (meat, eggs, fish), too. On my UDs I eat much more meat, dairy, eggs, etc. So maybe I'm a Carnavegetarian?

Hope you enjoy your JUDDD journey with us! I have found these peeps on this board are the best, just amazing and VERY supportive!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
Hi All!

Wow this is a rockin' thread. Welcome to Brew! I hope you enjoy JUDDD. My main rule is 'don't drink your calories' so when I find something that's no calorie, I like to share. Has anyone tried the Monin Sugar Free syrups? I ordered a bottle of Blackberry from Netrition. It's pricier than DaVinci but had great reviews. It is awesome! I've been having club soda, ice and couple splashes of syrup as an afternoon beverage. It's sweetened with a blend of Splenda and Erythritol and quite lovely!

BEEB! That's awesome you are practically at goal already! You are very inspiring!

Yesterday I took SoHappy's advice and actually ate more calories on the up day. I was a bit worried, having a handful of Pringles and a chocolate chip cookie after dinner, that I might wake up in the middle of the night with a sugar headache... but no, felt great and still do! I wonder if this plan helps regulate blood sugar? Cuz I did eat more carbs than usual... (probably 80 instead of 30). Maybe it was a fluke but it worked out!

This weekend I'm going to my parents' retirement park's fundraiser (Bake sale!) and cooking some ribs with homemade BBQ sauce and sweet potato fries
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Hi everyone. I'm back from a short (2-1/2 week) hiatus from JUDDD. I wasn't losing much so I decided to shake things up and go back to regular LC'ing for a little bit - keep my body guessing, I suppose. I lost a little more in the past 2-1/2 weeks than I had lost in my last 2-1/2 weeks of JUDDD, so maybe the change-up worked. Anyway, I like the feeling of control I have with JUDDD, so i'm ready to do it again, at least for a time. When I first started JUDDD, the website for it was down so I just went by the info SoHappy posted (thanks, SH!!) and had 500 calories on my down days. I did the calculator on the website last night and based on that my down days for the "induction" period should be closer to 350. Eeek! Today is a down day and I went with no carb/no fat protein shakes for breakfast and lunch. I'll probably have a small bit of chicken breast and a salad with 0 calorie Walden Farms dressing for dinner. The thing I love about JUDDD is that even if I only get 350 calories today, I can have more tomorrow!
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #146

Back Maryo!! I may be mistaken but I think you aren't suppose to go below 500 calories?

Maybe SoHappy will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I remember a conversation on this thread with her about how my calculations were going to let me eat only a little less than 300 calories and I was freaking!! She then explained that I could do what I felt was right for me as long as I kept the DD calories low and the UD calories at least half as high.

SoHappy, can you help please? I don't want to give wrong info here!

Hey Sal !! I was told those syrups are wonderful but I hesitate to use any kind of sweetener because I usually start to crave sweet afterward. I use to use the Eggnog one in my coconut milk to make LC Eggnog during the holidays! Very yummy!! It's funny how we CAN drink our calories. I especially have a problem with cream/half & half. I have to really watch or I can easily do at least 300 calories in a day putting it in my tea and coffee!!

Sound like you "crossed over" to upping your carbs and that is a good thing! I am still wrestling with the higher carb thingy but it's getting better. Trial and error, the way of life sometimes!

Last edited by Beeb; 08-12-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
..........My main rule is 'don't drink your calories..........

Yesterday I took SoHappy's advice and actually ate more calories on the up day..........a handful of Pringles and a chocolate chip cookie after dinner..........felt great and still do! I wonder if this plan helps regulate blood sugar? Cuz I did eat more carbs than usual... (probably 80 instead of 30). Maybe it was a fluke but it worked out!
I hear you on the *don't drink your calories*, and think that makes really, really good sense, overall. But I do take half & half in my coffee. And then I do occasionally make a reasonably low calorie chocolate milkshake, but that's a meal, so I guess it wouldn't matter whether I chewed the calories or drank them.

But I sure do agree about how nice it is to have some kind of cold and delicious beverage as a treat at 0 calories! I sometimes buy 0-cal beverages at Aldi's (my favorite is the strawberry lemonade one), and I pour some into a zippy freezer bag, lay it out flat, and freeze a 1/2 inch thick layer of the stuff, which I can then break up into ice chunks to blend into more of the beverage in my blender. It turns it all into slush, and is so delicious on these summer afternoons. All at 0 calories.

And as to my advice, (LOL) I never want to give anyone advice, as such, but just my thoughts and what has worked well for me. I don't necessarily think that anyone should intentionally increase their calories or carbs. But I don't necessarily think they would be better off, working to hold them down every single day either. Only that, for myself, having a nice spread between my UDs and my DDs seems to have really worked a good benefit for me.

For myself, keeping my DD calories pretty low is a little better for me than holding them high and then increasing my UD calories as well, just to make a bigger spread.

I guess the recommended thing is to find your true best UD maintenance level, and then figure your DD percentage from that. Some do DDs that are only 20% of their UD allotment, but that would be wayyy to stringent for me! So I just try to keep to about 500 cals and let it go at that. And I do bring my UD calories down a bit if I need to lose a couple of pounds again to stay about where I want to stay. But normally my UD calories are quite a bit higher than some eat at, so there is more than enough room there to bring them down!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
Hi everyone. I'm back from a short (2-1/2 week) hiatus from JUDDD. I wasn't losing much so I decided to shake things up and go back to regular LC'ing for a little bit - keep my body guessing, I suppose. I lost a little more in the past 2-1/2 weeks than I had lost in my last 2-1/2 weeks of JUDDD, so maybe the change-up worked. Anyway, I like the feeling of control I have with JUDDD, so i'm ready to do it again, at least for a time. When I first started JUDDD, the website for it was down so I just went by the info SoHappy posted (thanks, SH!!) and had 500 calories on my down days. I did the calculator on the website last night and based on that my down days for the "induction" period should be closer to 350. Eeek! Today is a down day and I went with no carb/no fat protein shakes for breakfast and lunch. I'll probably have a small bit of chicken breast and a salad with 0 calorie Walden Farms dressing for dinner. The thing I love about JUDDD is that even if I only get 350 calories today, I can have more tomorrow!
Hi, Mary! It's so wonderful to see you here again! Glad you lost a little more. That's a great feeling, and sometimes - no matter what plan we are following - it's just so darned hard to make out bodies give up any of that stored fat.

Lordy, Woman! I'd have to be a bit stronger to do only 350 calorie Down Days, but I know there are folks who stay low on DDs like that and thrive. I just had to zero in at about 500 cals for myself. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you, that this bit lower level helps you a little more too. What do you keep your UD calories to?

And I love being able to count on being able to *eat that tomorrow*.. There were certainly some DDs when I was first eating this way that were white knuckle for me, and that kept me hanging in there. Now I'm so used to it that I don't even think a thing about it. Doing the semi-fasting every other day is easy-peasy now.

Glad you're here again. Let us know how the little DD calorie reduction works for you.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #149

Hey Mary! Please disregard my post about the DD calories. :blush: I thought I had read what I had put in that post about them and I also thought that is what SoHappy said and I was very wrong.

I tend to open my mouth sometimes without being reading/listening all the way, not a good thing!

So sorry and just never mind me!

Last edited by Beeb; 08-12-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Old 08-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #150

Quote:
Back Maryo!! I may be mistaken but I think you aren't suppose to go below 500 calories?

Maybe SoHappy will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I remember a conversation on this thread with her about how my calculations were going to let me eat only a little less than 300 calories and I was freaking!! She then explained that I could do what I felt was right for me as long as I kept the DD calories low and the UD calories at least half as high.

SoHappy, can you help please? I don't want to give wrong info here!

Hey Sal !! I was told those syrups are wonderful but I hesitate to use any kind of sweetener because I usually start to crave sweet afterward. I use to use the Eggnog one in my coconut milk to make LC Eggnog during the holidays! Very yummy!! It's funny how we CAN drink our calories. I especially have a problem with cream/half & half. I have to really watch or I can easily do at least 300 calories in a day putting it in my tea and coffee!!

Sound like you "crossed over" to upping your carbs and that is a good thing! I am still wrestling with the higher carb thingy but it's getting better. Trial and error, the way of life sometimes!
I probably wasn't very clear in how I voiced my thought for you, Linda. But it's perfectly OK for somebody to cut their calories down much lower than the 500 calories on DDs. That actually (I think) is the upper limit it is recommended for people to go!

But here's the thing. The vast majority of us are doing this just for weight loss, and if you don't want to, or cant see yourself being remotely happy in cutting DD calories that low, there is absolutely no reason why you can't raise them to 700 calories and still lose weight, as you have proven!

It would even be OK for somebody to fast totally for the day, but who wants to do that? Nobody even knows how or why "they" came up with the figure of 500 calories. So... 485 calories or 507 calories or whatever won't work? Well, that's just plain silly.

I think the big thing is to find out what your maintenance level of calories should be, and hold to no more than that on UDs, and then make your DDs be a much lower number, so they will be low enough to promote weight loss, in and of themselves. That way your UDs can be your reprieve, your delight, your *life like a real person in the real world* as opposed to a person who has to always be on a diet!

There are JUDDD Purists, and then there are the rest of us who just want to cycle our calories and lose some weight, and if it isn't exactly according to the absolute specific formula.. so what? LOLOLOL

There are plenty of people who would kill to be able to eat like you are now and still be losing a few pounds. How does it feel to be one of *The Blessed*??? (Know what we're having for supper? Ziti pasta casserole. Shhhhh...... Don't tell anyone.)