Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #421
Senior LCF Member
 
penguinpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 680
Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
SoHappy - you are so wise! All those years I refused to "allow" myself to eat things like fresh corn, peaches etc at the peak of perfection, and where did it get me? Now, with JUDDD, I can enjoy them guilt-free. I have never roasted corn! What do you do, just wrap it in foil or something and stick it in the oven? Hmmmm....neighbor will probably bring over more tonight, maybe that'll be dinner!

I'm going to make salsa today! I bought a lovely mixture of poblano, jalapeno and cubanella peppers at the farmer's market to go along with my tomatoes. I will have to freeze it though because I have low-acid tomatoes and don't feel like dragging out a pressure canner for just a little bit of canning.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #422
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,054
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Oh Linda, my thoughts and prayers are with you and all who are in the path of this weather monster...just stay safe in DBF's house!


Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
SoHappy - you are so wise! All those years I refused to "allow" myself to eat things like fresh corn, peaches etc at the peak of perfection, and where did it get me? Now, with JUDDD, I can enjoy them guilt-free. I have never roasted corn! What do you do, just wrap it in foil or something and stick it in the oven? Hmmmm....neighbor will probably bring over more tonight, maybe that'll be dinner!

I'm going to make salsa today! I bought a lovely mixture of poblano, jalapeno and cubanella peppers at the farmer's market to go along with my tomatoes. I will have to freeze it though because I have low-acid tomatoes and don't feel like dragging out a pressure canner for just a little bit of canning.
Totally agree with you! I LOVE this way of eating!! I also would LOVE that salsa recipe!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #423
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyrone Georgia U.S.A.
Posts: 1,186
Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I almost always have dinner with friends friday nights so I wondering how to always
have friday an up day. Today should be a down day for me but I may just let it be
an up day. I just hope I don't feal like I have blown the diet so i might as well go out
and eat eat eat.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #424
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,036
Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
E.W., the way I view JUDDD, it is very flexible, and you have to do what works for you. Simply alternating UD and DD works for me, but I've read on these boards of others who do UDs on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, DDs on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and a "medium day" on Saturday. I think many people will do a "medium day", or switch up UDs and DDs, when an occasion presents itself on a DD. The idea is to lower overall calories for the entire week by having half UDs and half DDs, and I don't think it's critical which day is up and which day is down. I also don't think there's a lot of harm in having two UDs or two DDs in a row. Your metabolism is not going to shut down if you have two consecutive DDs, for instance. Much better to allow yourself to have an up day today and make up for it tomorrow than to feel as though you've blown the diet.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #425
Senior LCF Member
 
Lbibclc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 427
Gallery: Lbibclc
Stats: 231.8/132 54/5-6
WOE: Primal/HHCG
Start Date: August 2009
It seems to me that you can't really blow this diet unless you never have a DD. That what seem to attract me to it. That you can adjust your days so overall your calories are less overall. Lets say you want to keep your calories to 1200 to lose weight. 7X1200= 8400. So your overall calories have to stay below 8400 for the week. That's really a simple way of looking at it.

If you have 3 800 calorie days that gives you 6000 calories for the other 4 days so 1500 calories. If you have 4 800 calorie days you would have 1733 calories for the other 3 days.

So for low carb, do you figure carb total for the week or have a limit per day?

I am just thinking out loud.
__________________
Liz B
"It's not important if you win 100% of the time, just that you try 100% of the time"
Lbibclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #426
Senior LCF Member
 
Lbibclc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 427
Gallery: Lbibclc
Stats: 231.8/132 54/5-6
WOE: Primal/HHCG
Start Date: August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I am SO freaked out right now!! I live in a mobile home and they are telling us that you need to be ready to evacuate at a moments notice! Where I am, Monmouth County, NJ is right in the middle of the path that Irene is taking!!

I already took care of EVERYTHING that would move in the yard, now I'm picking what I need to take with me in the house when I go to DBF's house. All my important papers are in a bank safety deposit box, but pictures, memories, etc are in the house. I got a big box to put everything in, and I'm stressing because I'm afraid I'm going to forget a family heirloom, etc. that CAN'T be replaced!

It's a DD for me today, but I'm having a hard time of it because of stress right now. I KNOW eating will not make things any better so I'm staying on plan, but geez it's not easy!!
Hope things miss you. Go around and take pictures of everything just in case. Hang in there and do what you got to do.
Lbibclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #427
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 385
Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/184.2/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
Good Luck Linda, hopefully the storm will pass you by.
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member
 
BonnyLass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 178
Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
Now I know why SoHappy is so happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I almost always have dinner with friends friday nights so I wondering how to always
have friday an up day. Today should be a down day for me but I may just let it be
an up day. I just hope I don't feal like I have blown the diet so i might as well go out
and eat eat eat.
I've been a JUDDD for a week now and I am the same as you, I always go out to dinner Friday night so when most people are dreading Monday because that is usually the day most start their diets we will be starting every week(Monday) with an up day. How great is that?
Yesterday was my first dinner out since JUDDD, actually, I'm almost closing out the week. Needless to say my dinner out was really very enjoyable, much less stress. I hadn't planned on weighing myself until I had one week under my belt but I can report that I have lost 3lbs. Doesn't seem like much but I am really happy with the results. For the most part I've kept my carbs low, I've monitored numbers on up days(be aware that up days are not free days, you can't eat whatever you want in any amount you want), like others have posted, I've finally enjoyed my beloved corn, peaches and watermelon guilt free(I can't believe I've gone through life feeling guilty about eating those summer delights!)and have still lost weight. Now I know why SoHappy is so happy!
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #429
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,036
Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
If anyone is still wondering if this works. . .

I just finished the first two weeks of my 2nd cycle of JUDDD (I did a month of JUDDD, followed by a month of regular LC, and now I'm back to JUDDD). I decided to do the "induction" phase of very low calories for the first two weeks. I've been trying to keep DD calories below 350 and UD calories at my normal 1200. It really wasn't that hard to do (of course, I haven't had to worry about any social engagements during this time), and the results are fabulous - 6.8 pounds in 15 days. Yesterday was a DD, so I may drift up a bit, but I'll be pretty darn impressed even so. JUDDD helped me break a stall when I did it the first time, and now I'm convinced it was not a fluke. I'm done with the super low calorie stuff, though, and I'm moving to 500 calorie down days.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #430
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,054
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbibclc View Post
So for low carb, do you figure carb total for the week or have a limit per day?

I am just thinking out loud.
First.....thanks all for the well wishes everyone! It's been scary but I'm at DBF house, my important stuff is here with me, and my house is buttoned up as tight as I could get it. Now it's all in God and the Universe's hands. I actually lose .4 pounds on the scale today, and the DD really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! Keep busy, went to work and got to bed at a reasonable time and actually slept most of the night!

I try to keep carbs below 100g now. On DD they are usually around 50g to 70g and on UDs up to 100g and sometimes about 10 to 15g more. Seems to be working well for me!
__________________

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #431
Senior LCF Member
 
BonnyLass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 178
Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
I admit, I am not the best dieter in the world but I am the worlds worst excersizer. I felt so good this morning I got my bike out of moth balls and went for a ride. Wow, I feel great hope I can keep it up!
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #432
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyrone Georgia U.S.A.
Posts: 1,186
Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Well friday diner plans didn't happen after all so it was just a regular DD. I am using a 5 hour eating window (fast5) and eating all I want during that time. The fast5 diet says
that most people tend to eat a little to much the first 2 weeks or so but by the 3rd week
they naturaly cut there food intake. I think that has started to hapen to me. My last 2
up days I didn't eat as much as previous up days. Well hope every one has a good day
today. It sure is strange seeing the scale going lower and lower ....
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #433
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Good Morning, Everyone! I've awakened to a mild and sunny Sunday here, and my thoughts are with those who live along our eastern coastal areas. Hope everyone is safe. I just hate all of the various violent and disastrous weather events we've had in this country this year. What a fearful power Mother Nature can show us. I'm keeping a prayer in my heart for those who are facing Irene yet today, and hoping the storm loses strength as it continues its path upward.

These last couple of days I haven't felt well. Don't know what the trouble was, but I think I must have run into a *bug* when I took my sister to doctors and then grocery stores last Friday morning. I've been achy and half a headache for two days, and retained so much fluid (which I never do) that I was up two pounds on almost no food. Strange. This morning, I feel fine, and it's as though it never happened, so now all I have to do is try to get rid of some fluid retention. I'll be looking forward to having fingers that work a bit better as the day progresses. LOL Don't know if tomorrow morning's weigh-in will show any loss for this week or not because of this, but no worry about it, truthfully.

Anyway, I'll do a nice modest Medium Day today, and try to get something done around here.

Looking forward to getting caught up reading all the posts here this morning. Hugs to all!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #434
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
..........I'm at DBF house, my important stuff is here with me, and my house is buttoned up as tight as I could get it. Now it's all in God and the Universe's hands..........

Linda, hope you are well, and hope your home is just fine too. You did what you were able to, in preparation for this bad storm, and now it's just a matter of waiting until it passes and then attending to all the clean-up. Hoping you have very little to have to attend to once you get back home. Hope you have electricity, and will be looking forward to you checking in.


I think we have others in the eastern states. I've been keeping a prayer in my heart for you all. Check in here when you can!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #435
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
SoHappy - you are so wise! All those years I refused to "allow" myself to eat things like fresh corn, peaches etc at the peak of perfection, and where did it get me? Now, with JUDDD, I can enjoy them guilt-free. I have never roasted corn! What do you do, just wrap it in foil or something and stick it in the oven? Hmmmm....neighbor will probably bring over more tonight, maybe that'll be dinner!
LOL Well, I don't think many at LCF would deem me *so wise* with how I view diet, or foods, and my meals, but I'm pretty obstinate when it comes to doing what I want to do, how I want to do it! It's been both my bane and my strength during my life.

And my views on diet are just those for me. So while I want to include some amazing fabulous breads in my food plan sometimes, 'cause I've always loved great breads, I don't advocate that others follow suit. Maybe it isn't something that will work for them at all. I know me. But they have to know themselves. Etc. about all foods. If you think I'm never going to eat another chocolate frosted fudge brownie in my life, you're crazy sort of thing going on here.

As to the corn, I've had it roasted by pulling back the husks, slathering the corn with butter, sprinkling with salt and pepper and whatever else seasonings you like, and then the husks put back in place around the ear and sometimes wrapped in foil, roasted in the embers or on the grill. Also wrapped in foil and roasted in the oven. And then most often, just plain boiled in water on the stove top. Guess which one is my favorite. Just the boiled corn. LOL Guess my corn palette never developed beyond childhood. But it's fabulous coming out of the boiling pot, and then drenched in butter with just a sprinkle of salt.

Might have to run down to the farmer's stand and buy some for this evening. DH would love some more, I know that.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #436
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,036
Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
SoHappy, I'm glad you're feeling better. I hate summer bugs (of all varieties).

Linda, please check in and let us know how you're doing. It must have been scary going through that storm. My mom is in the Philadelphia area and I spoke with her (and my sister, who'd been evacuated from Ocean City) last night and could hear the storm in the background. She was expecting to lose power, and had lost a couple trees, but didn't think she'd flood.

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday. The weather here in the midwest is beautiful; I'd like to send some of it to all of you on the East Coast. Of course, you probably wouldn't appreciate getting our weather in January.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #437
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I almost always have dinner with friends friday nights so I wondering how to always
have friday an up day. Today should be a down day for me but I may just let it be
an up day. I just hope I don't feal like I have blown the diet so i might as well go out
and eat eat eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Well friday diner plans didn't happen after all so it was just a regular DD. I am using a 5 hour eating window (fast5) and eating all I want during that time. The fast5 diet says
that most people tend to eat a little to much the first 2 weeks or so but by the 3rd week
they naturaly cut there food intake. I think that has started to hapen to me. My last 2
up days I didn't eat as much as previous up days. Well hope every one has a good day
today. It sure is strange seeing the scale going lower and lower ....
E.W., JUDDD is really a wonderful plan to be able to change your rotation around whenever there is a fun event coming up that will involve food, and you want to be able to participate. I think folks here explained it, but if you know ahead of time, just insert a single Medium Day into your rotation to use as a *spacer* and that will jog the rest of your rotation one day out.

I will be interested to hear more about you doing JUDDD on the Fast-5 eating schedule. That sounds like it would really work well, especially on the DDs.

And I agree with you about how quickly your brain adapts to your new eating schedule and your new food limits. At first, it really bothers you, and you are so hungry you can't understand how it can be so easy for others.. like it doesn't even seem to bother them. And then, if you stick to it, after awhile it doesn't bother you either, and it's so easy! And then you really begin to reap the benefits of not eating so much and so often. Your appetite is finally nicely under control, and the weight loss proves you're on a very good track!

Sounds like you're doing really well! Yay!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #438
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
..........I also don't think there's a lot of harm in having two UDs or two DDs in a row. Your metabolism is not going to shut down if you have two consecutive DDs, for instance..........
I agree with you here. ^ However, I really do try to do JUDDD fairly truly as designed and written, as there is science behind the low *fasting-level* days alternating with the full Up Days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
I just finished the first two weeks of my 2nd cycle of JUDDD (I did a month of JUDDD, followed by a month of regular LC, and now I'm back to JUDDD). I decided to do the "induction" phase of very low calories for the first two weeks. I've been trying to keep DD calories below 350 and UD calories at my normal 1200. It really wasn't that hard to do (of course, I haven't had to worry about any social engagements during this time), and the results are fabulous - 6.8 pounds in 15 days. Yesterday was a DD, so I may drift up a bit, but I'll be pretty darn impressed even so. JUDDD helped me break a stall when I did it the first time, and now I'm convinced it was not a fluke. I'm done with the super low calorie stuff, though, and I'm moving to 500 calorie down days.
Wow! How much more proof would anybody need than the example of somebody who does JUDDD well and loses so quickly on the plan? That is darned nearly as good as the HCG plan, without putting any hormones into your body, and with only having to hold calories down on half the days! I'm impressed, and so happy for you! Woo Hoo!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #439
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbibclc View Post
It seems to me that you can't really blow this diet unless you never have a DD. That what seem to attract me to it. That you can adjust your days so overall your calories are less overall. Lets say you want to keep your calories to 1200 to lose weight. 7X1200= 8400. So your overall calories have to stay below 8400 for the week. That's really a simple way of looking at it.

If you have 3 800 calorie days that gives you 6000 calories for the other 4 days so 1500 calories. If you have 4 800 calorie days you would have 1733 calories for the other 3 days.
Sort of. Your example would certainly be calorie cycling and should theoretically work just fine. I've always found that holding calories down to a lower range (like about 1,200 per day, every day) over an extended period of time in order to lose weight, resulted in my metabolism sort of slowing down to that level to compensate. In other words, I managed to screw myself up by holding to a fairly steady low calorie level all the time. So the alternating high & low days seems to really prevent that metabolic slow down for me.

But JUDDD is a bit more than just the calorie cycling, since it's design was really built on the concept of calorie restriction to the point of fasting on alternate days. In lieu of a total fast, folks are held to that low 500-daily-calories level, for the most part, and often lower than that even, if they are truly following JUDDD and eating at 20% or 30% or those low percentages quoted for Down Days.

Since JUDDD was patterned on the studies of extreme calorie restriction with the goal of lengthening lifespan, which happens for all the species studied, and also improving may levels of health, the plan calls for Down Days to be truly low.

It's just that quite a few of us don't follow the plan as written. We take liberties with it, and follow our own version of the plan, which loses some of the JUDDD benefits, but still results in weight loss and being able to eat as we prefer, and that's good enough for most of us!


After doing this plan for several months, I know it is certainly a plan that I will rely on, pretty much forever. It's easy to follow, keeps me feeling strong and full of energy, helps me keep my weight about where I want it to be.. or bring it back down to my low if it's strayed up a few pounds, and it lets me enjoy the foods of the world. My favorite hobby. LOL
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #440
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnyLass View Post
I admit, I am not the best dieter in the world but I am the worlds worst excersizer. I felt so good this morning I got my bike out of moth balls and went for a ride. Wow, I feel great hope I can keep it up!
Wow! I'm impressed. Keep up the good work. Any exercise we get is better than none, and as we lose weight and have less *poundage* to have to lug around with us, the exercise is easier to do. I don't bike, but I sure like going to the Nature Center and hiking the trails. We wind along a creek and through woods and even some prairie meadow areas. Really pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnyLass View Post
..........Yesterday was my first dinner out since JUDDD, actually, I'm almost closing out the week. Needless to say my dinner out was really very enjoyable, much less stress. I hadn't planned on weighing myself until I had one week under my belt but I can report that I have lost 3lbs. Doesn't seem like much but I am really happy with the results. For the most part I've kept my carbs low, I've monitored numbers on up days(be aware that up days are not free days, you can't eat whatever you want in any amount you want), like others have posted, I've finally enjoyed my beloved corn, peaches and watermelon guilt free(I can't believe I've gone through life feeling guilty about eating those summer delights!)and have still lost weight. Now I know why SoHappy is so happy!
Wow, you are really doing well. I'm always hopeful that the first week I'm really watching it carefully will result in a decent weight loss. I always know that part of it is probably water weight (for me) but it's still exciting for me.

And those fresh summer fruits and veggies. I can only speak for myself, but life's too short not to indulge in them. And, in fact.. I feast!

Keep up the great job. You're doing wonderfully.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #441
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Giving a shout out to Goose! Hi.

Hi to any I have missed too! Come post with us here.

I think I'm all caught up now, and it's almost time for a bit of lunch. I guess some salad with chopped up chunk of ham on it. We're outside trying to get some gardening caught up before the day turns too warm. Pretty day here, but my thoughts keep turning to those on the east coast. Hope you guys are all safe!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #442
Senior LCF Member
 
Lbibclc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 427
Gallery: Lbibclc
Stats: 231.8/132 54/5-6
WOE: Primal/HHCG
Start Date: August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Sort of. Your example would certainly be calorie cycling and should theoretically work just fine. I've always found that holding calories down to a lower range (like about 1,200 per day, every day) over an extended period of time in order to lose weight, resulted in my metabolism sort of slowing down to that level to compensate. In other words, I managed to screw myself up by holding to a fairly steady low calorie level all the time. So the alternating high & low days seems to really prevent that metabolic slow down for me.

But JUDDD is a bit more than just the calorie cycling, since it's design was really built on the concept of calorie restriction to the point of fasting on alternate days. In lieu of a total fast, folks are held to that low 500-daily-calories level, for the most part, and often lower than that even, if they are truly following JUDDD and eating at 20% or 30% or those low percentages quoted for Down Days.

Since JUDDD was patterned on the studies of extreme calorie restriction with the goal of lengthening lifespan, which happens for all the species studied, and also improving may levels of health, the plan calls for Down Days to be truly low.

It's just that quite a few of us don't follow the plan as written. We take liberties with it, and follow our own version of the plan, which loses some of the JUDDD benefits, but still results in weight loss and being able to eat as we prefer, and that's good enough for most of us!


After doing this plan for several months, I know it is certainly a plan that I will rely on, pretty much forever. It's easy to follow, keeps me feeling strong and full of energy, helps me keep my weight about where I want it to be.. or bring it back down to my low if it's strayed up a few pounds, and it lets me enjoy the foods of the world. My favorite hobby. LOL
Ahhh. Now I see (with the light turned on). Thanks. So if you want to average 1200 cal a day your DD would be 3-500 and up days would be 12-1500ish.
Lbibclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #443
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbibclc View Post
Ahhh. Now I see (with the light turned on). Thanks. So if you want to average 1200 cal a day your DD would be 3-500 and up days would be 12-1500ish.
Probably. It's just such an individual thing. It might be entirely possible to find you can lose weight doing JUDDD while averaging a few hundred calories higher than only 1,200. You might be able to lose weight by holding to 500-calorie Down Days and 1,800-calorie Up Days. Or maybe you're one who will have to hold even your Up Days to only 1,350, as an example.

There just isn't an exact single true-to-everyone formula. Easiest to just go to several sites and figure out your calorie needs for maintenance at your current weight and activity level. And start there for your Up Days. Maybe start your DDs at only 25% of that, if you can stand to, but 500 calories for sure. (Or as several here have done very successfully... Down Days of higher than even the 500 calories.)

If UDs at that level, combined with DDs at whatever level you are keeping to, aren't resulting in weight loss JUST FROM YOUR WEEK'S DOWN DAYS... WHILE YOUR UP DAYS AREN'T A DIET LEVEL AT ALL... then you'll know to knock those UD calories down a smidge, and keep trying until you've found your UD calorie level for weight loss. That is, combined with your DD calorie level, of course.

But here's one thing to sort of keep in mind. You really do want your days to have quite a nice wide spread between the calorie numbers, so if possible, it's nice not to have to hold your Up Days to a very low calorie figure. You don't want your body to just adapt its metabolism to always low calories. Very low on DDs, and quite low on UDs too. So try to keep those UD calories up there a ways if you possibly can, as the weight loss in nice, and the ease in health problems is nice, but one of the truly nicest things of all about JUDDD is using it to get your metabolism up there, if you possibly can. So try not to always eat at pretty low calories every single day.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #444
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,054
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Hi everyone!! Made it through the storm SO much better than I ever thought I would AND actually stayed on plan while at my DBF's house! He lost electricity but now it's up again. I didn't lose anything, including branches or trees! A few leaves on the driveway and in the yard but nothing else! The whole mobile park escaped with no damage at all! It was like the storm just passed us by! God and the Universe watched over all of us because of all the positive that was around me from all you guys, I'm sure!

Thanks for all the well wishes and prays and I KNOW that is why Winding Brook Park was surrounded by the angels because you guys ARE angels!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #445
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
Hi everyone!! Made it through the storm SO much better than I ever thought I would AND actually stayed on plan while at my DBF's house! He lost electricity but now it's up again. I didn't lose anything, including branches or trees! A few leaves on the driveway and in the yard but nothing else! The whole mobile park escaped with no damage at all! It was like the storm just passed us by! God and the Universe watched over all of us because of all the positive that was around me from all you guys, I'm sure!

Thanks for all the well wishes and prays and I KNOW that is why Winding Brook Park was surrounded by the angels because you guys ARE angels!!!
Yay! It's wonderful to hear from you and know you are OK. Actually, it was just a really good thing that this storm downgraded to a category one by the time it hit the U.S. I'm sure that saved billions of dollars in damages right there, and then by the time it meandered up into the New York area, it had further diminished to a tropical storm status, so that helped further. NOT that it wasn't one hellacious storm! If you are the guy with his roof in shambles or his trees all broken and lying all over the street, you don't think this was anything but a violent storm! But just so glad our LCF members seem to have come through in good shape. Now if the overflowing creeks and streams go back inside their banks quickly and the land dries out, it'll be easier to get all the cleanup attended to.

And you stayed on plan through all of this! You are a marvel. LOL
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #446
Senior LCF Member
 
BonnyLass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 178
Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
weeks tally

Monday- 954
Tuesday- 571
Wednesday- 1163
Thursday- 803
Friday- 768
Saturday- 829
Sunday- 1595
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #447
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnyLass View Post
Monday- 954
Tuesday- 571
Wednesday- 1163
Thursday- 803
Friday- 768
Saturday- 829
Sunday- 1595
Don't worry. Truthfully, I'm kind of glad to see today's 1,595 calorie day in there, because even with it added in, you only average just under 955 calories daily for this week, and that's so low that, at least for myself, I'd be causing my metabolism to slow down, and I sure don't want that to happen to you. Maybe you are different than me, because I know we all react differently to various things when it comes to diets and foods. But.. other than today, you don't seem to have any Up Days in your rotation. It looks more like you are doing a Down Day and Medium Day rotation, but no Up Days until today.

I sure want JUDDD to work its wonders for you. Is there a particular reason you are holding all of your days so low?
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #448
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,054
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Don't worry. Truthfully, I'm kind of glad to see today's 1,595 calorie day in there, because even with it added in, you only average just under 955 calories daily for this week, and that's so low that, at least for myself, I'd be causing my metabolism to slow down, and I sure don't want that to happen to you. Maybe you are different than me, because I know we all react differently to various things when it comes to diets and foods. But.. other than today, you don't seem to have any Up Days in your rotation. It looks more like you are doing a Down Day and Medium Day rotation, but no Up Days until today.

I sure want JUDDD to work its wonders for you. Is there a particular reason you are holding all of your days so low?
I have to agree with everything that SoHappy is saying here^^^. I still get a little freaked when I see myself eating 1600+ calories on my UDs, but I have found if I DON'T eat those high calorie UDs, it seems to make me 1. more hungry on my DDs 2. feeling sluggish and tired. It I eat the rotation of up to 700 and then 1600+ I'm feeling my best, and am NOT hungry on my DDs at all! I even manage to get a Medium Day in there every week or 2 because I tend to eat out more on the weekends and sometimes my DDs are both Friday and Sunday and THAT is not easy for eating out. I make one of those days Medium Days and it's working great.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 AM   #449
Senior LCF Member
 
BonnyLass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 178
Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
I guess because because I don't really know how much I've eaten until the end of the day when I do my tally. Since reading the book on compulsive overeating and waiting so long to eat on my down days I guess I'm just not as hungry as I use to be. Probably because I'm not grazing and picking at everything.
That's what I'm really learning and coming in tune with so far.Like I stated in an earlier post, years of dieting blurs things. Using the Food Diary website I've really been able to see all of the places carbs and extra calories I wasn't even counting were creeping in. The diet weren't really causing a stall it was the way I was eating that was causing the stall. JUDDD helps with making me mindful again. Also, on down days I am keeping my carbs down to about twenty and except for Sunday even on up days I've not gone over 50 grams. Low carb does keep hunger at bay.
I truly haven't been conscientiously(wow, there's a misspelling for you) depriving myself, in fact like I said, I'm feeling pretty good!
Today will be a test. I go back to work today after a month off. I've boiled some eggs, packed some protein powder, low carb tortilla and some sprouts. One good thing, Monday is always an up day. Wish me luck!Weight this morning 141.5.
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #450
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Checking in after my weekly weigh-in on Monday mornings. This morning the scale tells me I'm down another 1.6 pounds for the week. Combined with the previous week's loss of 2.6 pounds, this gives me a total loss of 4.2 pounds for the two weeks. This is a pretty good rate of weight loss for me.

This rate of loss may be a bit faster than doing the single-day rotation for me. I'll give it another week. Doing two Down Days followed by a single Up Day is certainly not a problem, other than any *social life* aspect of it. It's harder and more problematic to insert Medium Days into the mix sometimes in a way that doesn't have you doing DD - MD - DD, which really ends up being pretty few calories over that three day stretch. I'm not doing JUDDD to suffer that much.

Hope you are all also having a good reading on that scale this morning! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Last edited by SoHappy; 08-29-2011 at 05:16 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.