Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #331
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
beeb--me? I use eggbeaters. they are nothin but eggwhites and a little colouring--
I see egg whites like the egg beater kind in the store and I thought there was a difference. Glad I asked!!

Thank you!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
Linda - I switched to using egg whites (mostly) for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm a cheapskate, and Eggbeaters (name brand) are expensive - I can buy 2.5 to 3 doz eggs for the cost of 1 container of Eggbeaters. A container has the equivalent of 14eggs, I believe, so if I'm getting ~30 eggs for the same price, actual eggs are a $$ winner for me even if I toss the yolks - but I often use them in other things.

2. They have "spices" in them - particularly onion powder - that affects the way my stuff tastes in a way I don't always necessarily like. The superlow muffins for example - I dislike them when using Eggbeaters but love them with egg whites or "just whites" egg products versus Eggbeaters.

3. Info that makes me think, from a website somewhere: "An egg contains one ingredient: egg

Egg beaters contain 20 ingredients:

Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

Egg Beaters took the yolk away to remove most of the fat and the cholesterol. But because egg yolks make the egg taste better, the company had to compensate. Hence “Natural Flavor” which is a trade secret. Hence spices, unspecified. They also added the gums as thickeners to add body to the egg whites. Ever tried making scrambled eggs with just egg whites? No body or fluff. Why in the world do they add a sweetener (maltodextrin) used for candy?

There are a whole bunch of added vitamins and minerals that try to mimic what was lost with the removal of the egg yolk. For example a single egg yolk contains 13% of the DV for vitamin A. Egg beaters throws in 15%.

The problem with this nutrient specific approach is that science has yet to identify hundreds of other nutrients and their interaction amongst each other when naturally present in a food. Selecting a few nutrients and focusing on them instead of on a whole food is part of a larger problem in the US food food system today."
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Oops - we were all cross posting! Nope, sorry, Eggbeaters are not just whites with a little coloring - see the ingredients list I posted above. I like Eggbeaters fine if I want them in a savory dish. I just don't care for them in non-savory things.

And yes there is a difference between the eggbeaters and "just whites" products. I do on occasion buy the just whites ones.

Edited to add: The one I have in the fridge is called "AllWhites" and it has one ingredient - egg whites!

Last edited by penguinpower; 08-19-2011 at 02:21 PM..
Old 08-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Oh my, I had the best DD lunch today - one slice of 35-calorie bread, toasted and split, topped open-face style with 1/2 tsp of reduced fat cracked pepper mayo on each slice (20 cals per tsp) and thick slices of fresh-from-the-garden tomato (35 cals for large tomato) on top - about 85 calories of summer deliciousness!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #335
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marymmma
Stats: 329/310/150
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/11...Restart 8/19/11
Ok, I'm struggling today. It's hard to go from eating out of control everyday to eating just 500 calories. I said I was ready to get started today and I really wanted to but I'm at 750 calories already and it's just 3:30 in the afternoon. I will try to hold the calories down as much as possible and try again tomorrow for a proper dd.
marymmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymmma View Post
Ok, I'm struggling today. It's hard to go from eating out of control everyday to eating just 500 calories. I said I was ready to get started today and I really wanted to but I'm at 750 calories already and it's just 3:30 in the afternoon. I will try to hold the calories down as much as possible and try again tomorrow for a proper dd.
My suggestion is to just make this an UD and then start tomorrow with a fresh DD. I do 700 calories on my DDs and I'm doing good with that number. 500 I would never be able to do at all.

It helps to plan the DD the night before then you KNOW what you are going to eat and it's easier (at least for me) plus use a lot of those calories on veggies and find FF/LF options to use to add to them. Lean meats are a good choice for the protein that helps to keep us full.

The recipe room here has LOTS of great recipes and online you can find lots of recipes for dinners at 300 calories or less.

Don't give up!! You CAN do this because it gets easier and easier every day and your hungry will just "go away" after a couple of DDs. Mine did and I'm still amazed at this! All those years of LCing and NEVER having that "not hungry" feeling and 3 weeks on JUDDD and it's always around!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #337

Thanks Penguin for the info! I will use my farm egg whites on my DD and the yolks on the UDs!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #338
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'll be back later to read everything (you guys have been busy posting here this afternoon, haven't you! LOL) but did want to just mention quickly that I also have found my DD appetite and hunger is markedly reduced over what my normal appetite had been before JUDDD.

It took awhile for this to happen, and some of my days early on were just plainly a little bit (read.. a lot) higher than they should have been, but if they were decent, I called them a Down Day, and if they were pretty bad, I admitted they were yet another Up Day, and I determined to make the next day a Down Day.

This doesn't happen to most of us right off the bat. So stick with it! JUDDD is a lot harder in the beginning than it is after you get into the swing of it. But two things happen to make it turn into a real easy way to be on a diet. First of all, you will get used to the low calories on DDs, and your tummy and brain will become comfortable with just those few calories without complaint.

Secondly, you will zero in on a bunch of menu plans that will provide you with a LOT of food for very little calories, if you're one of us who needs BULK in the tummy, even on DDs, and that's a little secret that I didn't know right away.

I will eat something nice this evening, but so far today I have had a total of..... 90 calories! And I'm having absolutely no problem with it, no hunger to speak of, no tummy growling, no headache, no shaky feeling. In other words, my body is using stored FAT in my cells for fuel, and I'm one SoHappy Camper!

But I will enjoy supper later, and a nice evening snack later, and my calories will not be over 500 and will probably come in at less.

Gotta' go put away the groceries. But looking forward to spending some time this evening here.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #339
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
ok--had to look in the fridge--the "eggbeaters" I am using are called eggology--just whites--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Marymmma - I can so totally sympathize with you, and all I can say is - it does get better!

It took me quite a while to learn to accept the limitations of the DDs. I knew going in that I would have trouble, because from past dieting disasters I knew I had issues with low-calorie eating and feeling hungry or deprived. When I decided to try JUDDD, I first put myself on a high protein, high fat "diet" to nudge myself into ketosis before attempting my first DD, since I do enjoy a reduction in hunger on low carb. And I also made sure to have mass quantities of very low-calorie foods on hand before I started, since I knew I would have to have lots and lots of stuff to keep me full. I knew if I let myself get hungry, I would either eat, or decide I disliked the program so much that I would quit. I planned as well as I could, but even so, it was still a shock to struggle through that first DD, and I don't think I managed to get myself down to 500 calories for the first few (or more!). But all in all, I counted every DD attempt as a success. I knew that even when I exceeded 500 calories, my total was less than I had been eating. Eventually it sort of just got to feel more natural--I wouldn't say pleasant, but natural. The repeated down days gradually taught my panic-stricken appetite that tomorrow I could eat my fill, that feeling a little hungry wasn't going to kill me for one day. I still don't like feeling hungry, and still eat huge amounts of food, but it has become "what I do" now.

I also tried doing set days of the rotation - doing DDs every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and UDs on Tuesday and Thursday, with one medium day on either Saturday or Sunday, and one additional UD the other weekend day. I did that for a while, but then found that I do better with the straight U/D rotation because combining an UD and MD often led to me eating more high carb foods than usual, and made me hungrier on the next DD, and thus made it harder for me to stay on track. But set days do work very well for some...we are all so different.

Linda's version of keeping her DDs at 700 calories is working great for her - I think I might've had an easier time of it if I had allowed myself a slightly more generous DD total as well.

The calculator on the website said my DDs should be about 347 calories I think - I don't think I've ever gone that low. I'm always aiming for 500. I lose very very slowly, and regain pounds very very easily -but, that has nothing to do with JUDDD and is just the way I am no matter what eating plan I follow. Persistence pays off -- I am 33 pounds lighter than I was at this time in early January and would not go back there for the world!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #341
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marymmma
Stats: 329/310/150
Start Date: 2/11...Restart 8/19/11
Thank you all for the advice and the encouragement/motivation to keep on going and not to give up. I'm still at 750 and if I could not eat anything else for the rest of the day, I would go ahead and call it a dd. But, the worst part of my day (the nighttime) is fast approaching and I'm hungry. So I will go ahead and do the dd tomorrow.

I'll check out the recipe room for low calorie meal suggestions. My biggest problem is that I bought shakes to do me for the dd's because that was what was suggested on the website for the first two weeks. Now I'm almost out of money but I will check out the recipes here and make a trip to the store tonight to buy what I can to help out with the dd's.

I have a question while I'm at it. Concerning the calorie calculator on the JUDDD website page, the bottom number it shows is for the dd's, but the top number...is that showing the total calories allowed on your ud or is that showing your total calories allowed to maintain your current weight and you are suppose to take off some of that to lose weight on JUDDD? I hope that makes sense and someone can answer.

For instance it shows my dd calories to be 497. It shows my normal calories to be 2483. Is 2483 the number I'm allowed on ud or am I suppose to figure up some lower number somehow?

I'll get it all figured out soon.:blush: I'm looking forward to doing as good at JUDDD as you all are!
marymmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Marymmma - I will second (or is it third) the idea that the DDs get much easier as you go along. I'm on my 2nd round of JUDDD (I went back to plain old LC for a bit), so I'm treating it like "induction." My down day number for the first two weeks is 350, and I limit myself to 1200 calories on my up days. Because I do JUDDD in conjunction with low carb (and didn't start it until I had been low carbing for a few months), I have the benefit of appetite suppression. But once you get into the swing of things and become familiar with the caloric bargains that will become your down day staples, it really isn't bad. I also find that I don't want to eat as much on up days because I'm used to not eating a whole lot on down days.

Good luck to you - I promise it will get easier!
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #343

Still having absolutely the best (lowest) Down Day I've ever had.

And let me state this, publicly so that PenguinPower Donna can read it... Shirataki noodles are almost magical and can work miracles on your Down Days. LOL

Fridays I take my sister with me, and we go grocery shopping. I usually sort of go through the refrigerator beforehand, straightening it up and making it tidy and a bit more room available for the new groceries.

So I had a serving of noodles left and a bit of my General Tso's sauce left too, so I just put them together and heated that up for breakfast. About 23 calories.

Then at the start of the afternoon I prepared another serving of shirataki noodles. This time I chopped a clove of garlic and browned it in 1 teaspoon of schmaltz fat, then added the noodles and a tablespoon of fat free butter spread (no transfats) and a sprinkle of garlic salt, a sprinkle of dried parsley flakes, a squirt of lemon juice, and served it with a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese over it. Absolutely delicious, and only an additional 77 calories! OMG.. I'm only up to 100 calories by that time, and I'm perfectly full and satisfied! Hard to believe it's possible, but it's the truth.

Now, here's what I'm wondering: Do you think it is the ability of those noodles to make a belly feel full, or do you think it might have anything to do with these back-to-back Down Days I'm doing right now????? Hmmmm.....

Anyway, I've been feeling full all day long and no hunger pangs nor even much appetite until a late and light supper. I fixed a "BLT" salad, which is just lettuce, tomato, and the Walden Farms BACON dressing, at 0 calories. And I also ate 1/2 cup of rich cottage cheese. Suppertime calories came to 59 for the salad and 120 for the cottage cheese. That was a splurge I normally wouldn't allow myself on a DD. Total calories for the day came out to 268 so far. I may (may...) fix a chocolate coffee shake later on. I certainly have plenty of calorie room for it.

Today was my 4th Down Day of the week, and tomorrow will be my 2nd Up Day. Then Sunday will be a Medium Day, and I'll weigh Monday Morning first thing to see what the weight loss (if any?) was for the week. I'm a slow loser, so anything over a pound or so will be shocking.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymmma View Post
'For instance it shows my dd calories to be 497. It shows my normal calories to be 2483. Is 2483 the number I'm allowed on ud or am I suppose to figure up some lower number somehow?!
If those are the number you are getting, those are the numbers to go by. 497 on your DDs and UP TO 2483 on our UDs. That does not mean you should try to eat up to 2483 unless you really want to. I just asked about this in a thread yesterday; Do we have to eat all the calories that the UD number says? This is the answer on Dr. J's site:.B] If you're not as hungry on Up Days, it's okay to eat less than your regular daily allowance[/B]

Sometimes I eat all the 1620 that is recommended and sometimes I'm under by 200 to 300 calories. With JUDDD I have finally learned when I'm hungry and when I'm not, when I'm full and when I need more food!

To me THIS^^^ in itself is a miracle!!

Hope I have answered your question for you!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #345

I occasionally eat up to my calorie ceiling, but often don't get nearly to the top of my allowed calories. I hold to my Down Days, but don't worry if I don't get all of the Up Day calories in. I'd sure never force myself to keep eating! Really bad habit I don't want to ever get back to!

There was a lot of discussion about whether the JUDDD site gave an accurate figure for people's Up Day calories... many people felt the numbers given were a little (a lot) on the high side. Particularly important when it pertains to many of us, because many of us aren't just a little overweight and wanting to shed a few before bikini season comes again. Instead, we're really in overweight trouble! Our bodies just don't want to stay slim, don't want to give up accumulated fat very easily, and so many of us suffer from metabolic issues, etc. that it was felt we'd be smart to take that Up Day calorie number with a big grain of salt. That we'd be smart to recognize that it was quite a bit more than we should be eating, and voluntarily reduce that number for ourselves.

Edited to Add: Like so many other things, we can always try the higher UD number and see if it works and we lose weight. If we aren't losing weight.. and we're keeping our DDs to 500 or so.. then that UD calorie number is probably way too high. Just sayin'.....

Last edited by SoHappy; 08-19-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Old 08-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Hi everyone
Well I won't go into the gory details of the binge I had on my DD yesterday. I am going to my first OA meeting tomorrow morning and am going back to what enabled me to lose my first 20+lbs, which was lots of exercise and atkins induction. I went back through my food journals and I see some things that I have done that may help me avoid some pitfalls. What I think happened is:

- I lost well with Atkins induction but got impatient with slow losses and then moved on to very low carb ,which made me nauseated because the fat was too high and I essentially cut out all veggies. I then started adding in carbs to combat the nausea ,which meant I had to count calories to keep losing which makes me all the more obsessive and angry.

Something I found that really stood out is my chuck roast, pork chops, heavy cream, butter, ribeyes, eggs all the foods along with the right amount of veggies and avocado that helped me lose and feel well on induction were working well until I cut out the veggies and felt ill from I think was too much fat. Looking back instead of increasing my carbs and counting calories I think it would have served me better to go back to keeping the veggies and induction menu and being patient with the rate of loss. To keep cals low my menus looked more like lean meat, half and half, lower fat/lower calorie all around.

Sorry for the novel! These are my thoughts about what has worked/not worked over the last few months. So I am hopeful that getting back to what worked, attending OA and getting my thyroid issues medicated will help me reach my goals.

I want to thank all of you for the support and even the words of caution from those of you who intuitively knew that I was still not heading in the right direction.

I have been on Low Carb forever and for the most part have been happy but after years of tweaking, stalling, success etc I did feel it was time for a change . What attracted me to JUDDD was the simplicity and the fact that you can tailor it to almost any meal plan you might be on.I have been low carbing to the point where I think it has become a way of life so even on JUDDD I can't imagine myself just abandoning my low carb disciplines.It just seems that it can only make my low carb WOE more flexible.
Just a word to all those who are getting an unusally high calorie count on your up days, recheck the calculator. When I first did mine I think it said I was allowed 2600 or somesuch number but on further examination there was a kilogram prompt or a pound and for some reason eventhough I know I clicked pounds(lbs)when I rechecked, it figured my numbers in kilograms.
Interesting about OA, my area doesn't have a chapter eventhough it's something I think I've needed over the years. Right now I'm reading "Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating."or in my case, mindless eating. I think that' s where JUDDD should help. Just a thought for myself but maybe it may help others. I am treating my DD sorta like Slim Fast or Medifast where I have two or three shakes and one meal, it comes to 600 cals give or take. Eventhough I wasn't officially starting until Monday I've been doing DD eating since Thursday. That plus reading the book on compulsive eating has really been primed me for the upcoming change. I haven't felt this positive and upbeat for awhile.
Just for full disclosure, I came to this website via the weight loss surgery group, I had gastric by pass(RNY) in 1999 and still the struggle continues!
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Well today is a DD so I am having some cabbage soup and maby 1/2 of a sweet potato.
I am realy excited about this WOE. Not only for weight loss but for long term health. I saw one old study where some people in a retirement home used this with a 33% down
day not to lose weight just to see if it was healthy. Well they ended up having about 1/2
as many days in the hospital as the controle group.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:08 AM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Well today is a DD so I am having some cabbage soup and maby 1/2 of a sweet potato.
I am realy excited about this WOE. Not only for weight loss but for long term health. I saw one old study where some people in a retirement home used this with a 33% down
day not to lose weight just to see if it was healthy. Well they ended up having about 1/2
as many days in the hospital as the controle group.
Good Morning.

Yes, that's what all the animal studies have been showing for quite a few years now. No matter what species of animal they do the calorie restriction on, from flat worms to primates, it seems to improve overall health and length of life. But I don't think they know specifically why. I suppose thought on this abounds. Seems to reduce inflammation.

Have a successful DD. I'm doing an UD today after my last two days of DD calories.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #349

Giving a shout out to BonnyLass. Are you now doing JUDDD? I hope so, and will look forward to your posting with us here.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #350
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Glory2Him
Good Morning All!

What a wonderful, supportive, informative group here! I am learning a lot.
Still have yet to enter my day in ****** and "Officially" start JUDDD, but eating towards the lower calorie (and much lower carb) efforts.

Since Monday, I had lost 5 pounds, but extra calories last night in the form of LC chicken salad (we ate out) brought me back up 1.4 pounds. But, I'll wait until Monday to see what the 7 days reveals.

I'll shoot for a real DD today (following the example of 700 cals. I might need to tweak it later to go lower, but I'm not jumping into this again, I'm *inching* into it to prevent disaster)

I like SoHappy's experiment results of 2 DDs with appetite reduction. I'm anxious to read how the scale reacts. I'm not ready to follow yet, but tacking it away for later if needed.

Off the topic sorta, I found out QUITE BY ACCIDENT, that organic apple cider vinegar has an appetite-reducing quality for me if I take enough of it. I started drinking ACV this past week to knock out a persistent sinus infection (2 TB raw, organic ACV mixed with 2-4 cups water and a pinch of stevia to taste. I drink this 3 x per day) and I found it greatly (and I mean G.R.E.A.T.L.Y.!!!!) reduced my Monster-appetite.

It's not something I plan to continue for a long time (so much acid ya know), but for right now at the beginning of my JUDDD re-introduction, it might just be what I need to make the transition on DDs. I'll give it a shot! I thought I'd pass that along.

Have a wonderful day!
Glory2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

SoHappy - is it the noodles or is it the two DDs in a row? I'm going to guess it's both. Physically, the shirataki noodles are very filling - when I eat them I have that stuffed feeling all day. But I think the 2 DDs in a row are going to have both a physical effect and a mental effect. I always feel full on my up days because I'm coming off a down day, which becomes my new "norm," so I can only imagine the effect two down days in a row would have. In either event, it all sounds good. I hope my DD today is as successful and easy as yours was yesterday.

Bonnylass - welcome to JUDDD; I hope you have great success with it.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory2Him View Post
..........Still have yet to....."Officially" start JUDDD, but eating towards the lower calorie (and much lower carb) efforts.

Since Monday, I had lost 5 pounds, but extra calories last night in the form of LC chicken salad (we ate out) brought me back up 1.4 pounds.

I'll shoot for a real DD today (following the example of 700 cals. I might need to tweak it later to go lower, but I'm not jumping into this again, I'm *inching* into it to prevent disaster)

.....I found out QUITE BY ACCIDENT, that organic apple cider vinegar has an appetite-reducing quality for me if I take enough of it. I started drinking ACV this past week to knock out a persistent sinus infection.....and I found it greatly (and I mean G.R.E.A.T.L.Y.!!!!) reduced my Monster-appetite..........
Glory, Big congratulations on the 5-pound loss, even if it did pop back up a bit. That's great!

You are doing just what I have been thinking about a lot lately, and that is for newbies -maybe- to *ease* into the low Down Day calories a bit more gradually than is the plan and design. At least if they are among those who have a lot of trouble at first. I've been wondering if that isn't a move that could help gradually bring *big appetites* under control with fewer people just throwing in the towel. I know that it took me awhile to grow accustomed to the fasting days, but if I'd gradually worked myself down to the low level I do now, it don't think it would have been nearly as hard. The only reason I didn't quit early on is that I'm awfully obstinate and hard-headed.

Sorry to hear that you have a sinus infection. I've never had one, but a friend suffers from one a lot, and I know she is miserable with it. But interesting about the ACV bonus effect of appetite control. Hmmmmm...... Back in the *olden days* when I was a kid, many thought of apples as an aid to weight loss and maintenance. Maybe their pectin? Hmmmmm, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
SoHappy - is it the noodles or is it the two DDs in a row? I'm going to guess it's both. Physically, the shirataki noodles are very filling - when I eat them I have that stuffed feeling all day. But I think the 2 DDs in a row are going to have both a physical effect and a mental effect. I always feel full on my up days because I'm coming off a down day, which becomes my new "norm," so I can only imagine the effect two down days in a row would have. In either event, it all sounds good. I hope my DD today is as successful and easy as yours was yesterday.
Mary, wishing you a great DD today. I'm going to be enjoying my UD today, and a MD tomorrow, but I'm already wondering what weight will show up on the scale Monday morning. (I'm weighing each day, but the *official* week's loss will be taken each Monday morning.) Right now, after these last two DDs in a row, I'm down. As certainly expected. But after today's UD and tomorrow's MD, I'm wondering if the scale will show me any loss at all come Monday morning. I lose so slowly, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. LOL

Sounds like you're doing wonderfully!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #353
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I know this is going to sound odd and I might come across as a zealot but here goes.

I feel like a normal person on JUDD. I have more energy and mental clarity. I’m excited just to be alive!! I have issues with chronic pain and even that seems to be a bit better.

I’m also down 4 lbs. for the week!! It is not normal for me to lose this much in a week. I’ll see how I do next week. My first DD was a breeze but they got harder for me this week. I gave myself permission to go to 700 cals if I needed to and that seemed to take the stress off.

I am rediscovering fish. Only 100 cals in a Tilapia Filet. I top this with some salsa or 50 Cal. Of Wholly Guacamole and have a pretty filling lunch. The 100 Cal Wholly Guacamole packs have come in handy, but they are pricey.

I have enjoyed a few things this week that I have been missing. Sushi, Chips and Salsa and Cheesecake. My colon did not appreciate the gluten or dairy in the cheesecake but I still lost. Today is an up day and I am cooking burgers for dinner. I bought Chocolate Dipped Strawberries for dessert and will enjoy sharing one with the rest of the family.

I have noticed that I weight more after a down day. I seem to lose it after an up day. How odd our bodies are.

Beeb, I owe you an apology. I’ve been following your posts since last year and thought your name was BEEP! It wasn’t until you changed your Avatar that I noticed.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
I know this is going to sound odd and I might come across as a zealot but here goes.

I feel like a normal person on JUDD. I have more energy and mental clarity. I’m excited just to be alive!! I have issues with chronic pain and even that seems to be a bit better.

I’m also down 4 lbs. for the week!! It is not normal for me to lose this much in a week. I’ll see how I do next week. My first DD was a breeze but they got harder for me this week. I gave myself permission to go to 700 cals if I needed to and that seemed to take the stress off.

I am rediscovering fish. Only 100 cals in a Tilapia Filet. I top this with some salsa or 50 Cal. Of Wholly Guacamole and have a pretty filling lunch. The 100 Cal Wholly Guacamole packs have come in handy, but they are pricey.

I have enjoyed a few things this week that I have been missing. Sushi, Chips and Salsa and Cheesecake. My colon did not appreciate the gluten or dairy in the cheesecake but I still lost. Today is an up day and I am cooking burgers for dinner. I bought Chocolate Dipped Strawberries for dessert and will enjoy sharing one with the rest of the family.

I have noticed that I weight more after a down day. I seem to lose it after an up day. How odd our bodies are.

Beeb, I owe you an apology. I’ve been following your posts since last year and thought your name was BEEP! It wasn’t until you changed your Avatar that I noticed.
Wow, Erin! Good post! Several of us are zealots about JUDDD (have you read any of beeP's posts lately? LOLOL) and it's just exactly because of what you said... it allows us to feel somewhat normal about the foods we get to enjoy in our lives. And at least for me, maintenance was even easier! And, yes, many report an increase in vitality and a decrease in ailments and pain on this calorie restriction/cycling plan.

A 4-pound loss??? Whoa! Good job. I don't know how future weeks will go, and JUDDD isn't known for fast weight loss necessarily, although some do lose at a pretty darned rapid pace, but your loss is great. I'm always hoping for 4 to 5 pounds a month when I'm in weight loss mode. After I haven't been doing this at a *weight loss* calorie level, I always have a bit better loss the first week, but I know it's lost water weight from my (ahem..) more carby UD choices lately.

I think it is interesting that your weight seems to be up after DDs and down after UDs. That doesn't seem like how it would work, and for me it's just the opposite of that, but once again it just goes to show how different our bodies may respond from each other.

(And I like tilapia a lot too.)

Last edited by SoHappy; 08-20-2011 at 11:30 AM..
Old 08-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #355
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
I tell ya .. it is sure great to be hanging out with a bunch of losers!!! You folks are doing awesome! One of these days I am going to be able to get some of the things y'all use (gluc. powder, almond flour .. which is my big wishie right now, those noodle thingies .. lol .. couldn't remember the name of them, etc) .. but until then I am still enjoying my other foods.

I tried something new to me today ... egg cream. Someone in the main forum brought up an old (2008) thread about the egg creams and I read all the posts. After reading about the safety of raw eggs (as long as they have been kept cold and not set out for room temp then they should be fine) .. and read many posts from others regarding the "ick factor" with raw egg .. yet they ended up loving these .. I finally mustered up the courage to give them a try. WOWSERS! At 174 calories and 2-3 carbs, these are perfect even for a DD breakfast! I don't have the davinci syrups so I made mine with just 1 large egg, 1 oz. heavy cream, 2 packets splenda, 1 cup crushed ice, capful vanilla and a pinch of salt. Tastes sooo much like a Wendy's vanilla frosty! Tomorrow I will try one with some cocoa added. This life just keeps getting better and better!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: momof3heathens
Stats: 388/315/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD/IF?
Start Date: Always a startdate
Bunch of losers, lol. Love it.

Oddly I was up my last down day and the down on my last up day too. Does that make sense? Yesterday was suppose to be another dd however the heat really got to me yesterday and with the running around I was doing I decided to turn it into a medium day. Only 1000 calories but I am up 1.6lbs. Grrr!!!! Today is a dd and because i am staying at home I am not too worried as I feel fine so far.

Erin57:4lbs. Excellent progress!!!!
momof3heathens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbmoon View Post
..........One of these days I am going to be able to get some of the things y'all use (gluc. powder, almond flour .. which is my big wishie right now, those noodle thingies .. lol .. couldn't remember the name of them, etc) .. but until then I am still enjoying my other foods.

I tried something new to me today ... egg cream. Someone in the main forum brought up an old (2008) thread about the egg creams and I read all the posts. After reading about the safety of raw eggs (as long as they have been kept cold and not set out for room temp then they should be fine) .. and read many posts from others regarding the "ick factor" with raw egg .. yet they ended up loving these .. I finally mustered up the courage to give them a try. WOWSERS! At 174 calories and 2-3 carbs, these are perfect even for a DD breakfast! I don't have the davinci syrups so I made mine with just 1 large egg, 1 oz. heavy cream, 2 packets splenda, 1 cup crushed ice, capful vanilla and a pinch of salt. Tastes sooo much like a Wendy's vanilla frosty! Tomorrow I will try one with some cocoa added. This life just keeps getting better and better!
Hi, Moon. Until the time when you get any glucomannan powder or shirataki noodles, you can make do. I didn't get those things early on either, but you can certainly do both low carb and JUDDD easily without them. But if you have a local Asian grocery store in your area, that is where many of us find the noodles. Packed in plastic bags in some fluid, and in the cold foods case.

I think you had courage to try an egg cream! I'm like you and just haven't been able to think of these as anything I would enjoy. I guess I like my eggs scrambled. Glad you liked it though. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
Oddly I was up my last down day and the down on my last up day too. Does that make sense? Yesterday was suppose to be another dd however the heat really got to me yesterday and with the running around I was doing I decided to turn it into a medium day. Only 1000 calories but I am up 1.6lbs. Grrr!!!! Today is a dd and because i am staying at home I am not too worried as I feel fine so far.
momof3, sorry about yesterday turning into a higher day than you had hoped it would. But 1,000 calories isn't too bad. Hope you had a good DD today to make up for it. Today was an UD for me.. only the second one in 6 days. And tomorrow will be a MD.

Are you still doing the 2 DDs and 1 UD experiment? I'm looking forward to Monday morning's weigh-in, as that will tell me if I've lost this first week, and if so.. how much. Will it be more than a pound? I'm keeping my fingers crossed. So far it's looking pretty promising, but I know first weeks are often the best loss because you're losing water weight too. So I'll do this again for a second week and see how that one goes too. But anyway, at this time, this first week is looking like it might be more loss than just a pound, so I'm excited.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: momof3heathens
Stats: 388/315/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD/IF?
Start Date: Always a startdate
Yes I am still doing 2 dd/1 up however I may switch it up simply because I'd like to attend more waterfit classes and the schedule at the pool is on Monday/Wednesday/Friday for the classes I prefer. I am not certain I could manage a class on a dd. Was thinking doing either Medium Days on days I definitely attend class(I would know fairly early in the day so could adjust if necessary)or Switching to M/W/F being up days and the rest dd. Not certain yet.

That being said I have chronic ongoing pain so some weeks I am lucky to be able to walk to the bathroom without dying a little inside with each step so that would definitely make a difference as to what plan I follow that week and what ever follows.
momof3heathens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #359
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Mom, sorry to hear of your cronic pain I sure hope you find something to help it. And
does pounding someone in the face realy tenderise it?

Well testerday was my second down day please tell me it gets easier . Sure seems the
up days are easier. Didn't I see something about that this might not be all that good
for a diabetic. I am a type 2 diabetic and it seems to be working for me.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #360
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone. I hope JUDDD is going swimmingly for everyone. I had a 214 calorie down day yesterday. I was trying to keep it under 350, but I didn't intend to go that low. I decided to try a very low cal/low carb oat fiber MIM again and it had me so full from lunchtime on that I wasn't hungry for the rest of the day. And I wasn't starving when I woke up this morning, either. The calories in my up day breakfast today were more than half again the total calories I had yesterday!

Penguin, the MIM I made was from Ouizoid's chocolate muffin recipe. This time I used erythritol instead of the liquid splenda I'd previously used, and I have to say that it was much better. I still wouldn't call it delicious, but I didn't have to choke it down, either. I think I'll try it again and let it sit overnight like you suggested to see if that improves the texture. I do think it's a texture issue more than taste.

ETA: E.W., the down days do get easier - at least they did for me. I actually enjoy my down days. However, I'm not entirely convinced that I could do JUDDD and the every other day down days forever. I cycled off once before, and I suspect I'll do it again. But even if I do six months a year of JUDDD (alternating 1 month JUDDD and 1 month regular Atkins), I figure it'll be a good thing.

Last edited by Maryo; 08-21-2011 at 09:58 AM..