Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Hey there JUDDDers! I'm back from vacation - wish I could've stayed. I could SO easily become a beach bum!

I stayed on plan my whole trip, and had a new low on Sunday. Alas, due to a picnic, that low did not last, BUT, I am about 90% sure that the upward bounce was due to water retention since I had a lot of salty stuff. Today is a DD so we shall see what tomorrow brings.

My friend turned me on to a really good "cracker" that works for both UDs and DDs! It's the Kellogg's Special K Cracker Chips. They come in Sea Salt and Sour Cream Onion flavors - I have only tried the Sea Salt. These chips are about the size and shape of a half dollar, and you can eat 30 of them - yes 30! - for 110 calories. They are light but sturdy and hold up to tuna salad and stuff like that. I find that 7 or 8 is plenty for me, so even if you had 10 at a time, they would only be 37 calories. They are NOT low-carb, so wouldn't work for anyone who is trying to stay in ketosis on JUDDD, but if you are more worried about calories than carbs and want a crunchy chips, these are great! They sell them in my grocery store in the cracker section - here's what the box looks like:

$2.58 a box at Wally World!

I'm still enjoying the heck out of cucumbers and zucchini and will keep making those a major part of my DD meals until I either get sick of them, or they stop producing.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
PenguinPower! Donna, I'm so glad you're home again. I missed your posts. And, sure enough, this first one again was important..... I'm going to go buy some of the chips this morning for certain! I have to go work today again, but I've packed my lunch, and one of the little tubs has egg salad, except with no yolks, and all of it mashed fine and seasoned just as though it were the yolk stuffing for deviled eggs, which is my favorite part. So I'll scoop that stuff up on the little cracker crisps. And I think 10 will be about a perfect number for that.

Sounds like the beach was wanderful, and I'm impressed that you stayed on plan. I tend to throw plans to the wind when I'm on vacations, so whenever I hear of others who are sticking to their plans, I'm like wow! and at myself and vaguely disappointed in my lack of willpower. And then I go to the restaurant for dinner, and all my good resolve fades away for another meal!

But that's one of the reasons I do JUDDD. It is so easy to just hop right back in and make a few pounds slip right back off again. Love this plan. I took food with me yesterday and ate very low cal during the day, then we went out for dinner at a Czech restaurant for dinner. Started with enormous Vodka Tonics, then liver dumpling soup with some kind of bread and butter, then sweet & sour red cabbage w/bacon, and finally a pork and mushroom blend in paprika sauce over a puff pastry! Amazing! And we split a huge cherry strudel for dessert. He ate most of that, but my little quarter of it was delicious.

I'm doing a Medium Day today. Or else maybe it will end up being a *higher calorie* Down Day. I'm at 680 calories right now, and have enough food planned out or already prepared that it could get me by. But I'm also going to be doing some pretty hard work today for one of the Builders, so might be eating more. I guess.. *whatever*.

Hope you all have a productive and successful day. Go JUDDD!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

The Czech meal sounds wonderful! We don't have a Czech restaurant in this area anymore - we did have a good one, but the very elderly owner (who did all the cooking as well) died, and there was nobody to keep it going.

It is my cheap-skated nature that let me stay on plan during my vacation for the most part. I simply would not pay the inflated tourist prices for the restaurants in the area! I did treat myself to one meal in a highly rated middle-eastern restaurant, and it was very good, but still, way too expensive. The timeshare had a very nice kitchen, and I had fun shopping in the "international" market and playing around with some of the unusual ingredients I found, so had good reasons to eat in. Plus I spent a lot of time on the beach and just didn't feel like getting all gussied up at the end of the day to go out. If my DH had been with me we might've gone out more, but I was content to read, relax and do a little work on a project on my computer. The week went way too fast.

But I am quite disappointed at the big bounce UP I got from Sunday's picnic - I truly did not go overboard food-wise, it was all definitely sodium-laden, but I went up five pounds (ack!) and only back down 2 pounds after yesterday's good DD. I had been excited to think that JUDDD was gradually fixing my metabolism to even out these ridiculous weight spikes. I guess I just need to be more patient! I am NOT changing my stats, though, because I know I will get back to that weight again this week.

It's still very hot and humid here, so I'm spending most of my time indoors which doesn't help in the physical activity department...well, I guess it could help if I did housework or something, but...
Old 07-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
Hi Penguinpower and SoHappy and everyone else.

It sounds like it is going well for everyone even with dealing with vacations.

I completed my third down day today. So far so good. I felt a little hungrier today than I did on Sunday, but nothing I can't handle. I used Atkins shakes and a little bit of real food. I do real labels for calorie counts and measure portions as necessary. I am used to reading labels from doing Atkins for so long, so that helps.

I am aiming for about 450 calories on down days.

Keep up the good work, everyone.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like you are off to a great start, LAH! The beginning was very difficult for me, since I have an almost phobic fear of being hungry and calorie-deprived. My DDs are much easier for me now, but I handle them by eating mass quantities of low-cal veggies mostly, and gluc-enhanced things to keep me full full full. I aim for 500 calories or less and so far my weight loss has been on track, but I still have a lot to lose.

I'm struggling today with my UD. I think I let the upward scale bounce get to me, since I was so excited to finally make it into the 170s only to bounce right back out again. Well, going nuts on food today is not going to turn that around! I have learned that I simply cannot keep cheese in the house or I'll eat it until it's gone (so is that why I ate it all today, sigh). And after many years of being completely ambivalent about peanut butter, Costco Organic PB has become my new favorite food. What's that all about? And today, I found myself digging into the canister of raisins - hubby always has them, they never called to me before, and today I can't stay away from them. Sigh. So let's see...cheese, peanut butter, raisins - I am not even going to TRY to add up the calories today.

DD tomorrow, whew.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #96

Guys, I'm running so late I can't visit much, but wanted to wish you a great day of successful JUDDDing. My weight is holding steady. One of these days I have to actually get back to doing this at weight loss calorie levels, but right now I'm working so hard each day that I'm breaking down and going with DH who always suggests going out for supper and having a drink to start things off.. *so I won't have to cook anything because I'm so tired from working so hard all day*.. and that sounds so wonderful I cave in and we go out for dinner! Last night was a fun British Pub type place where I had a HUGE mushroom/Swiss burger, delicious fries, and a couple of beers! Certainly not low carb, and certainly not JUDDD, so :blush: but because I ate very modest calories for the whole day until suppertime, I have no weight increase on the scale at all. Yay!

See you this evening. Look forward to visiting with you then!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Just stopping by to say hello! SH, holding steady while enjoying such delicious and "forbidden" types of foods is one of the great gifts of JUDDD! And you know exactly how to switch it back to weight loss mode when you are ready! Good job.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone! Up day today and I am feeling really hungry for some reason. Maybe it's the higher carb level? I am not out of control hungry, but it is real hunger. I ate a hearty breakfast, AM snack, lunch and an afternoon snack. I am going out for dinner with dh tonight, so I will eat a good dinner. All in all, I am doing okay and have no over indulged on up days.

I think even if I don't lose all the weight I want to lose ( only 10 lbs) it would be worth it to stick to JUDDD for maintaining if possible, since I have a wider variety of food options that I had with Atkins. In other words, as long as I don't gain on JUDDD, I think it is worth sticking with. We'll see how it goes.

Friday will be the one week mark, so I will definitely check in.

See you all later and thanks everyone for the well wishes.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #99

Good Evening, Everyone. Hope you had a good day.

This was my *healthy, but higher carb choices* day... in other words, not a Down Day again. I made a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, sweetened with some of the Walden Farms Pancake Syrup, which is pretty darned good stuff, and a bit of cream. And coffee with cream too. I'd been so hungry for oatmeal and hadn't had any for so long, and eggs sounded so boring and *Gak*, so the oatmeal hit the spot.

Then red beans in chili sauce for lunch. Almost 2 whole cups of the stuff. It was so good. And a couple of the little strawberry 80-cal yogurts afterward for lunchtime dessert. I've always liked beans, and the resistant starch is supposed to be good too.

Anyway, between the oatmeal and the chili beans, I ran out of appetite for the day, so just had a cup of coffee for supper, and now a glass of icy cold 0-cal strawberry lemonade beverage, just to quench my thirst.

So not a speck of healthful green veggie in sight today. LOL I'll have to concentrate on a more nutritionally well-rounded menu for tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be my last day of work for several days, so I'm getting paperwork taken care of this evening, and just got word that my dear BIL's father passed away today, so we will head over there to the funeral on Saturday. Very sad for us all. For some reason everything seems to be very hectic lately too, with so many summer trips and family reunions and events these days.

Well, off to start paperwork. I'll check back in later this evening. Gotta' read on LCF for awhile each evening before calling it a day.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Morning everyone. Happy Friday.

Today is my one-week mark for JUDDD. I just weighed in and I am down two and a half pounds. Not too bad.

I am going to go ahead and do week 2.

I hope all of you have a great weekend.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #101

Good Morning.

Wow! Wonderful weight loss for just a single week, Lady... ESPECIALLY when you stop to think that all of that loss was from the reduced calories of just a very few Down Days! Up Days are not at a diet level, so those are our maintenance level days. Pretty amazing. Congratulations.

Verbqueen/Jessica... I'm paying close attention to all the wonderful and tasty foods you are using on your HCG days. I'm following your journal, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying your menus too as these days pass. I keep telling myself that I really need to get back into a lower DD rotation, as right now I'm doing more of a UD-MD-UD-MD rotation with no DDs that are all that low. But maintaining without any trouble, so that's awfully nice. I love doing maintenance this way. But one of these days, it's going to be back to another round of actual weight loss. (Maybe)

Penguinpower/Donna... I found the Special K crackers. Great find! They are very, very satisfactory for piling *stuff* onto at so few calories. I'm going to be saving them for my DDs for sure, as being able to have ten big fat crackers piled high with yummy fixins is going to be a real treat. I did make the mistake of thinking all of the Special K crackers stocked beside each other were the same serving size/calorie count, so bought a box of the herb flavor as well, and then read the label after I got home. Not going to work for DDs.
(Still envious of your beachside vacation. LOL)

Hope Everyone has a great day today. I'm going to quit my part time job today, so YAY... we'll be poor but happy. I want to be fully retired, and the work is hard and finally getting to me. But we don't want to have to delve into our savings much either, just to live, so I'm going to try to put us on a very strict budget. I think I can do it, but DH may not be too happy about it. But I just thought of something! I can save a bundle on our grocery bill just by doing DDs every other day and not eating so much!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

LOL SoHappy - I did the same thing with the herb crackers! Fortunately DH likes them so he'll gobble them up in no time. They're still fairly reasonable in calories, but just not as perfect for DDs as the others. I have not yet tried the Sour Cream flavor, just the Sea Salt. Which did you try?

And congrats on quitting the job! I hear you on retirement. We had planned to be retired by now but thanks to the fiscal idiocy going on, it's tough to retire when your investments don't earn any money! I don't mean to get political on this thread, but when I can't spend "income" from my investments, then the government shouldn't be able to spend, either.

I am still not able to get back to the 170s. My body is really fighting tooth and nail to hang on to this weight for some reason. Had a very good UD yesterday - no loss. DD today so I hope I can see at least a small downward trend. I'm going to up my water intake today to see if that helps some. Also I must admit, it is so hot and humid I just haven't been active at all. Today's menu is nothing different - coffee and super lowcal muffin (only half, got full) this a.m. Lunch may be just some marinated cukes since I don't have much of an appetite today. Dinner - not sure if I'll do hot dogs or shirataki/zuke spaghetti or jap chae. I like to save a couple hundred calories for a coffee/cocoa "frosty" in the evening, and then I also have some gluc gel in the fridge if I get hungry.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #103

Maryo and E.W., hope you guys are doing well. I've been running, but think I'll be able to be home a whole lot more now, so I'm excited about that. And maybe I'll eat better too. LOL And have more time at LCF and our JUDDD site, and read more of our posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
E.W.[/B];14856037]Would an occasional 2 up days in a row hurt verry much? Like I have dinner with some
friends friday's. We almost always go to a palce with a cheep salid bar but last friday
they voted to go to a $12 buffey. I just couldn't see spending $12 and only eating 400
calories so I chose not to go.

E.W., I don't see where anyone answered this question for you, so I'll take a stab at it. Here is how most of us handle something like this, and it is one of the HUGE advantages of being on JUDDD.

Say you are having Monday & Wednesday & Friday as your Down Days, but on Friday you want to go out to dinner with friends. You don't want to be on a diet then! LOL You wish Friday could be an Up Day! So here's how to make it into an Up Day, while still doing a *rotation* of calories. So the day before your Friday outing, (Thursday), which would have been an Up Day, can be turned into a Medium Day, with a medium level of calories, and then you can move that Up Day to the next day and turn the Friday into your official Up Day! TaDa! Just the perfect day to go out to a meal with your friends. And then that makes Saturday be your Down Day again.

So anytime your rotation is making a Down Day fall on some party-celebration-feast, etc. day, you can just insert a MD into your rotation in front of it, and then turn your normal DD into an UD. Did that make any sense the way I explained it?

Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #104

Just got back from the grocery store and a whole lot of stuff for under $16.00 DH was impressed, and said... "I guess we're going to be having a lot of chicken." And he's right. I got another 20 pounds of it for 39-cents a pound, hindquarters. So I'll cut the drumsticks off and make them the same way I do BBQ wings. Delish. And then I'll fix the thighs lots of different ways from Mexican to Italian, fried chicken, chicken marsala, and picked off the bone for chicken & dumplings. Or.. whatever.

Got eggs and canned vegetables, bananas and orange juice, plus 3 flavored juice *drinks* for DH, and... I got him ice cream. And can you believe it? He's losing weight. Every couple of days he proudly announces that he's down another pound! Men! Well, if he still has a good metabolism and good health, good physicals and tests, then apparently he's one who can eat at a much higher carb level and do just fine. I do pretty well, but I still have to watch it somewhat. So not fair!..

Will go to the funeral tomorrow, and then work around here Sunday. Trying to get the house back in tidy order. Guess I'll have to start following Flylady again!

Have a nice evening, Everyone!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #105

This post is from Beeb, who actually posted in our JUDDD thread from last month, so I've copied and pasted here in July's thread:

Have a ?......is this an every other day thing? Example: If I start with a down day on Sunday, then Monday will be an up day and then Tuesday would be a down day, etc? Or is it 2 days up and 2 days down, etc?

I have tried to find the answer to these ?s but can't.

Thanks for the help!!

Beeb, yes, this plan is an every other day thing. It truly is an Alternate Day Diet. It works very simply, and it also can be modified as you need or desire, you can change the days that you eat high or low calories, etc.

So here is an example: This will be for seven days:

Sunday: Up Day
Monday: Down Day
Tuesday: Up Day
Wednesday: Down Day
Thursday: Up Day
Friday: Down Day
Saturday: Up Day

Now pretend that on Friday (a Down Day) your dearest old friends from college are in town for only that one day, and they have planned a grand night out with a fabulous dinner and drinks for you folks, and there is just no way in the world you are going to miss out on that!!! And you want to be able to eat and drink too!!! So, you need to alter your rotation of days. You do this by inserting a Medium Day into your rotation. Like this:

Sunday: Up Day
Monday: Down Day
Tuesday: Up Day
Wednesday: Down Day
Thursday: MEDIUM DAY
Friday: Up Day
Saturday: Down Day

You effectively managed to shove Thursday's Up Day over to Friday by inserting a Medium Day into your rotation. You don't want Thursday to be a second Down Day in a row, as that makes it a whole lot tougher than it needs to be. (This is a really easy plan!) But you don't want Thursday to be an Up Day worth of calories either, since then you would double up on your *high* day of calories, which we're trying to avoid. So.. you just insert a day of medium-somewhere-in-the-middle calorie level, and let it go at that. Easy Peasy.

(Or..... you just have two Up Days in a row and don't worry about that either! LOLOLOL)

So, this is an every-other-day plan of calorie control. You can eat at any carb level you want to. Most here at LCF choose low or moderate carb. I'm one who actually includes some of the high carb foods in my diet too. On Up Days only, you understand. But I have to be somewhat careful with portion control and how often I allow myself to indulge. On JUDDD, there is no food list of recommended foods and no list of forbidden foods. There are no *no-no* foods, and the only way you can really cheat is to go overboard on your calories. But like I say, most still choose lower carb foods on their JUDDD plan.

The thing I really enjoy the most about this plan is the fact that every other day, I'm not on any diet at all. I try not to overeat, but by holding my calories down on my Down Days, I get to eat a whole lot of calories on my Up Days, and that is absolutely pure pleasure! The only warning is to not get out of control on your Up Days. This isn't a license to gorge, to binge, to stuff yourself to the gills, on every Up Day that comes along. But, doggone it..... It's awfully nice to really enjoy a Thanksgiving meal that you maybe went overboard on a little bit!

And here's another nice thing about it. Example: If I can maintain my weight on 1,500 calories per day, and I cut down to 750 calories every Down Day, that gives me the remainder of those DD calories to add into my following Up Day calories, and lets me potentially eat at 2,250 calories on my Up Days, and STILL AVERAGE OUT AT 1,500 calories per day. Of any foods I want to eat. I mention eating oatmeal and oranges and wonderful breads because I'm able to include these beloved foods in my diet now. Sometimes. Without any problems whatsoever! (I realize that most here wouldn't choose to eat some of the foods I choose to include. But we all get to do this diet the way we want to, and for me.. that includes some of my old favorites sometimes. Without fear of gaining weight.

During the years of my life when I *dieted* and held my calories down all the time, day after day after day, my metabolism slowed down to that level! It scared the tar outta' me. Eating low calories caused me to adapt to low calories, which caused my metabolism to key into that low level of calories. (I guess. That seems to be how it went, so that's what I'm guessing happened.) I sorta' broke myself.

JUDDD has increased my body's ability to burn calories. I can tell that my metabolism functions at a better rate. Here's my guess of what's happening. On a Down Day of low calories, my body notices and says... "Hey, is this the start of a famine?"... but the very next day I feed in a huge number of calories, so my body says... "Nevermind. Obviously there is food aplenty around. No need to slow down. In fact, it's time to function at a robust level! Food is plentiful!" But before any of that food bounty can be stored as fat, a Down Day brings the calorie average back down to a reasonable level again. (Anyway, that seems to be how it works in fact.)

And here's something that is making me very, very happy too. The more I cut back on carbs, and the longer I refrained from eating much carb containing foods, and the tighter I was at refusing to allow many carbs into my diet.. the more carb sensitive I I seemed to make myself and my body's reaction to carbs. I went so far overboard on cutting out carbs that for awhile, I couldn't lose weight AND there wasn't much of anything else to cut!!!!! Not THAT is scary! I see that happening to folks every once-in-awhile. They certainly don't eat much. Far less than I do! They vilify almost all carbs. And yet, they don't lose weight doing it their way. Maybe they're content to remain at the weight they can't get below. I don't know. For me, JUDDD made the difference. I'm 68 years old. I was obese! Now I can eat a whole lot more food, and I lost weight and slimmed down. I can maintain easily doing this plan, I can cheat on this plan, I can loosely follow this plan, and I can eat far more carbs on this plan, and I can still maintain with pretty fair ease.

And if I want to knock a few pounds off, I just bring the calories of my Down Days down lower, and keep the calories of my Up Days down at a far more reasonable level too. And that's about as much effort as I want to put into it! LOL

But the BIG HELP was in ALTERNATING my calories every single day, which -coincidentally- also resulted in an ALTERNATING carb level. That really seems to have stimulated my old woman body.

I know this is long, but feel free to ask any questions you might have, and I'll keep going. My typing fingers are yappers!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #106

I have pasted this question here in our July thread also, to keep the information in the same area.

I just looked into a site that gives you all the info, but I'm a little confused by the 20% induction on the down days.

According to the calculator I can only have 345 calories during this 2 week phase on my down days.

That is just insane to me and I KNOW I would never be able to function with such very low calorie restriction on those days.

Maybe I'm missing something? HELP!!!

Yeah! About that...... I could never do that either!!!

JUDDD was developed based on the information that came out of some long term studies of calorie restriction on animals which resulted in greatly increased life spans! In all the species, including primates, lifespans were increased by up to one THIRD! Whoa! That's a lot. I remember reading about these studies several years ago, and thought they were very interesting back then. It is felt that there is no reason why the same results of increased length of life wouldn't be the result for humans, and there are some who are actually eating at a *fasting level* of calories every day.

But it was also found (or thought) that those same benefits could be obtained by doing the fasting level of calories only every other day. Big difference! There is a gene which is triggered from ongoing very low calorie levels (SART1, I think) and it is nicknamed *The Skinny Gene* and if you get it activated and working in you, by doing some low calorie days, it is said to really work a mini-miracle for you!

So the plan was devised where you would eat at your maintenance level for one day, and semi-fast on very low calories on the next. And just alternate these two days. I'm not entirely sure where or how "they" decided on what calorie levels people should hold their eating to on their Down Days, but various examples were really low, and it was advised that for the first two weeks you shouldn't be eating above 500 calories per day, max.

Well, I did manage that. It's hard. I lost weight, but I also found out that I could lose weight just about as quickly and easily if I upped my calories a bit, so I did! I freely admit that at age 68 I am a big baby and a spoiled brat.

So whether or not I trigger that SART1 gene or not, I find it a lovely diet for weight loss and weight maintenance.

So, I keep my Down Days to 500 or 600 or even 700 calories. I plan those meals out, and I eat a lot of vegetables because the bulk of veggies fills my belly. I'd love to not even have to do Down Days, but.. well, like I said. I'm spoiled. So I do the Down Days. But in exchange, my body/metabolism is stimulated! My weight is lowered or maintained, whichever I'm working for, and on my Up Days, I don't have to be on any diet at all! And I feast! We go up to the French Cafe (real French) and enjoy coffee and pastries. Or lobster bisque and croissants for lunch. You get the idea. Not as low carb as I used to have to be. And I feel strong and vibrant and filled with so much energy I ache for those previous years when I didn't feel this alive.

So, NO. You certainly don't have to eat at that 20% of maintenance weight level to do JUDDD. I wouldn't, I can tell you that!

If you want to give this a try for a couple of weeks, that should be long enough to let you know if you can do it, wish to do it, and if it works for you. But I sure don't see any reason for you to have to have DDs that are that horribly low unless you really want to use your DDs as true fasting days or semi-fasting days. But I don't.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Buttercup
Stats: 175/168/135
WOE: Atkins OWL
So Happy, you are a role model. I just enjoy reading your posts so much and I revelle in your zest for life. My inlaws are older and they have SO many health problems. We care for them and it's very difficult. I am trying to start now to make sure my children are burdened like this.

Anyway, I went to the website, but I am confused: do you eat your dd calories for the first two weeks and only our dd calories? Or, do you start the alternating days right away?
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: momof3heathens
Stats: 388/315/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD/IF?
Start Date: Always a startdate
Of all the days for me to come back to this thread would be Day 4: up up and away day

Got carried away with not following a low carb plan. Eating a lot of fruit, pasta and cracker type snacks. I am not sure if the overeating is from having carb "issues" or having too much to choose from. Going to try and go lower carb for the most part while following the plan overall.

Oh and back to dd tomorrow morning.

Linda

PS: Hi everybody.

Updated my stats too. Big grrrr!!!!!!!Up 60lbs and not happy!!!!!!

Last edited by momof3heathens; 07-30-2011 at 08:52 PM..
momof3heathens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:23 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
So Happy, you are a role model. I just enjoy reading your posts so much and I revelle in your zest for life. My inlaws are older and they have SO many health problems. We care for them and it's very difficult. I am trying to start now to make sure my children are burdened like this.

Anyway, I went to the website, but I am confused: do you eat your dd calories for the first two weeks and only our dd calories? Or, do you start the alternating days right away?
Ha! They got the website back up again. It had been missing for a few months, and it looks like this new one is not complete yet either, but it's in place anyway.

As to your question.. you start alternating calories right from the start. Don't hold to all Down Days for two weeks! Alternate each DD with an Up Day. Those UDs are what are going to keep you sane and give you the pleasure of being able to eat *like real people* as my kids say, when you want to go out with friends in the evening, or to a party, or to a fun fair or festival. Life's too short to not be able to sample the foods that are one of the central parts of celebrations around the world since the dawn of time.

AND, very important point here, you will be out having fun, but you will still be losing weight, because you will still be on plan and still be following your plan 100%. You'll be having your Down Days and be perfectly on schedule, instead of eating foods which you know perfectly well are CHEATING on some other diet.

So, as to the days.. alternate them right from the beginning. Up Day - Down Day - Up Day - Down Day........

Last edited by SoHappy; 07-31-2011 at 05:41 AM..
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
Of all the days for me to come back to this thread would be Day 4: up up and away day

Got carried away with not following a low carb plan. Eating a lot of fruit, pasta and cracker type snacks. I am not sure if the overeating is from having carb "issues" or having too much to choose from. Going to try and go lower carb for the most part while following the plan overall.

Oh and back to dd tomorrow morning.

Linda

PS: Hi everybody.

Updated my stats too. Big grrrr!!!!!!!Up 60lbs and not happy!!!!!!
Yup... got to watch out for those Up, UP and AWAY Days. Those aren't supposed to be in the plan!

I also include a lot of fruit in my diet, as well as the higher carb vegetables and some grains. I like my oatmeal and my fabulous breads. BUT.. not every day, and not lots of the stuff every day either. Except for the fruit, and I usually have fruit every UD, and many DDs too. Apples work wonders for me.

Truthfully, I really believe that not being able to do the Up Days correctly is far more of a reason this diet won't work for some people than the Down Days ever are.

If you can't hold to such a low calorie DD, and decide to eat 650 calorie DDs instead of far lower, you will still reap benefits and lose weight on JUDDD, undoubtedly. But if you are supposed to have UDs of 1,700 calories (example) and you exceed them by another 1,000 calories fairly often, you will really run into some weight problems! It's thought that more people who fail, do so because of not keeping their UDs under control.

For myself, it's a big help to pretty much plan out my foods for the day. I always do this for my DDs, and usually for my UDs too. And I always leave some calories left over to cover an evening snack if I feel so inclined. So luxurious to pamper myself with a chocolate coffee shake, or a mug of hot cocoa, or a plate of little crisps piled high with something fabulous.

But don't let yourself go hog wild on those UDs! This is a fabulous and fun way to lose weight or maintain weight while still being able to enjoy *foodie* events, etc. but only if you can stay within the rules. (I wish Up Days could be a free-for-all too!) Just don't let them get out of control, and you will be richly rewarded.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #111
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Sohappy! Thank you SO much, the info really cleared up the questions I had and I'm thinking about doing this.

I have one more ?, please. On a medium day, what would your calories be? Here is how I'm seeing this. DD....600.....UD....1400......MD.......1000? Does this look like I got it?

Thanks again, you are amazingly informative and supportive!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #112
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Subscribing!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
Sohappy! Thank you SO much, the info really cleared up the questions I had and I'm thinking about doing this.

I have one more ?, please. On a medium day, what would your calories be? Here is how I'm seeing this. DD....600.....UD....1400......MD.......1000? Does this look like I got it?

Thanks again, you are amazingly informative and supportive!!
LOL! I can do your DD 600 calories easily, and I can hold to a MD of 1,000 calories easily too. And even the 1,400 UD calories will work OK for me most days. But.... um.... sometimes my UDs are going to be quite a bit higher than that.

But I'll tell you what. Your *spread* is far enough apart that is isn't close to being "...everyday being about the same number of calories..." so I see no reason that your metabolism should begin to slow in response to perpetually low calories and adapt to that lower level. I think you might even feel the freedom to have an occasional *quite a bit higher* UD sometimes too. You know, those occasions which are *food oriented* occasions where you might want to indulge a bit more. Well, you probably can, and without much worry.

But your calorie plan looks good. Why not just try it and see how it goes. I only see that your UD cals are a bit on the low side for my taste, but we all have to just try something and see if it works. Ya' can always fine tune it as you go along if necessary.

And just like general low carb is when we first start, it takes some time and attention right at the beginning to figure out what to eat and measure and figure the carbs, etc. and get the hang of it. And then it doesn't take much time at all as you continue. So with the focus on calories, it will be much the same at first. The only advice I can give you is, really plan your day's menus and pay attention to the calories so you are pretty close to your numbers on most days. I assume you will be holding to fairly low carb, at least at the beginning. Most do. I venture into higher carb territory. But I've admitted my sin here enough times. :blush:

There was a gal on here awhile earlier who used DD-500 & MD-1,000 & UD-1,500 as her ratios, and she was losing 10+ pounds a month! And she had a bit of weight to lose, but she wasn't really, really obese or anything! So her chosen ratios were similar to yours.

As with any diet plan, the better you are at working IT, the better it will work for you! And then.. there is that part about how our own bodies respond.

I look forward to your posts here! Wishing you great Good Luck! I'm sure you'll do well.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Buttercup
Stats: 175/168/135
WOE: Atkins OWL
So Happy, your children are right and that is how I have been feeling lately. I am not 20 anymore. No where near it. I have been finding I give up more and more of the things I love and now the things I have left are my treasured items and I just don't feel the will to do it anymore. I hope this can help me kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote