Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Donna, I forgot to tell you... I bought a really nice large head of cauliflower and will hunt up white miso paste at Saigon Market, then I'm going to try your recipe, reposted here, for Sunday, which will be a much needed and welcome DD. I may just have wiped out a week's worth of JUDDD Down Days this evening! But sure did have a good time with everyone.

Perfect Creamy Cauliflower Soup

2 Tbs. butter
1 tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
6-8 scallions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium cauliflower, cored and coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. curry powder (optional)
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried marjoram or savory
6 cups water
2 tbs. white miso *
1/8 tsp. nutmeg, optional

SoHappy, don't worry, have fun with your friends, your JUDDD is very forgiving!!!

This soup look VERY YUMMY.
For me right now, I'll change it into some less spicy and more soothing.

I have frozen cauliflower and homemade chicken bone broth and has a wonderful, rich flavor. I'll steam and puree the cauli and add it to the bone broth along with 2 bags of rinsed and dry-fried shirataki noodles (THESE THINGS ARE SO GREAT!!! I them!!)

And that will be what I eat on today. If I get hungry in between, I'll add some mashed hard-boiled eggs.

Enjoy your guests!! JUDDD DD will be waiting for you on Sunday!!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's a really great and simply soup I found for those who like it spicy:

Red Hot Tomato Soup

4 large tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
4 tsp cold pressed olive oil
1 tsp grated ginger root
4 green onions
1/8 tsp cayenne
dash of cinnamon

Add water or more tomatoes for desired consistency if needed. Blend in blender or vitamix.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
ladies....you're all doing really nicely...keep it up

SoHappy...you're doing great another lbs gone...wow it's amazing when you put your mind to it...

RFL..it's too bad about your tummy...you really would have to find what the culprit of your problems so you can deal with it and move on...

As for myself...i really have to rethink this weight thing...i'm having a really bad time to control my foods...i'm pre-menaupausal....and i know my hormone are playing havac with me...and i'm getting pretty pissed off...i start my day with no problem but by afternoon...it's gone nuts...literally ...i'm eating nuts by the handfull...can't stay away...

Ah well ...it a project of it own while we're figuring what to do with our weight problems we're not getting ourself into any problems....

Have a great week-end ladies...

~~~GAETS~~~
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #154
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
ladies....you're all doing really nicely...keep it up

SoHappy...you're doing great another lbs gone...wow it's amazing when you put your mind to it...

RFL..it's too bad about your tummy...you really would have to find what the culprit of your problems so you can deal with it and move on...

As for myself...i really have to rethink this weight thing...i'm having a really bad time to control my foods...i'm pre-menaupausal....and i know my hormone are playing havac with me...and i'm getting pretty pissed off...i start my day with no problem but by afternoon...it's gone nuts...literally ...i'm eating nuts by the handfull...can't stay away...

Ah well ...it a project of it own while we're figuring what to do with our weight problems we're not getting ourself into any problems....

Have a great week-end ladies...
LOLOL about the nuts!! At least that *snack* is one that is good for us, as opposed to Krispy Kreme donuts.

I'm wishing you all the strength and resolve to continue working on this and figuring out a wonderful and sustainable solution to it. Are you also famished in the morning hours? Or is this mostly in the afternoons. Are you plagued by that *snacky - wanna' munch on stuff* feeling in the evenings after supper?

Hugs! Hard to figure out ways to counter these feelings sometimes, but hopefully a solution can be invented that will help.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi mommy_gates!!!

It's so good to see you again!

Don't give up! We are have our battles, but we're here to help one another and whatever we can do to support you, we're ready!

Want to post your menus?

I'm having similar issues with starting our great and then going to heck in a handbasket in the afternoon or evening! Let's do this together!!

We can PLAN and check in for accountability!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Y'all,

I know some of you only eat the egg WHITES, but I came across an excellent article about how healthy the yolks are for us! Here's just an excerpt:

The Incredible, Edible Egg Yolk
Egg yolks? But they're full of cholesterol!

Concerned about egg yolks and heart disease? I'm explaining why there was never any evidence that cholesterol-rich egg yolks contribute to heart disease, and what heart disease is really all about. No reading required!

I'm sure you've heard it before. When you think of a "health freak," you don't think of someone eating egg yolks and discarding the white.

Think again.

Egg Nutrition: Yolk vs. White

Egg yolks are indeed full of cholesterol. Like most cholesterol-rich foods, they are jam-packed full of important nutrients, especially the fat-soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids.

In fact, the slew of nutrients in an egg yolk is so comprehensive that a few a day would offer better insurance than a multi-vitamin. Most importantly, the yolk contains most of the nutrients in an egg.

Egg whites, on the other hand, contain far fewer nutrients. The only thing that could justify their consumption is their attachment to their companion yolk.

Don't believe it? Below is a table that compares the nutritional value of egg whites and yolks, with data provided by the USDA. I've included additional analysis in the last two columns that provides the percentage of the total nutrition found in the yolk and the percentage of total nutrition found in the white.

Table 1: Egg Yolks Versus Egg Whites

Data taken from the USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 15. AA and DHA data from NutritionData.Com. Since the article was written, the USDA has published revisions. The latest, Release 17, can be found here. SR17 - Nutrient Lists

As you can see from the table, the yolk contains 100% of the carotenoids, essential fatty acids, vitamins A, E, D, and K (6 items). The white does not contain 100% of any nutrient.

The yolk contains more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, and B12, and 89% of the panthothenic acid (9 items). The white does not contain more than 90% of any nutrient, but contains over 80% of the magnesium, sodium, and niacin (3 items).

The yolk contains between 50% and 80% of the copper, manganese, and selenium, while the white contains between 50% and 80% of the potassium, riboflavin, and protein.

It should also be kept in mind that the yolk of an egg is smaller than the white. Where the white contains a slim majority of nutrients, such as protein, this is not due to a greater concentration in the white, but simply to the fact that there is more white in the egg than yolk.

Egg Yolks Would Resolve Americans' Most Common Nutrient Deficiencies

According to the Executive Summary of the Third Report on Nutrition Monitoring in the United States by the Interagency Board for Nutrition Monitoring and Related Research of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology's Life Sciences Research Office, the following is true:

Most groups have a deficient median intake of magnesium.
Several groups have a deficient median intake of calcium.
Children aged 1-2 and most groups of females have a deficient median intake of iron.
Blacks over the age of 16 and Mexican-Americans over the age of 60 have a deficient median intake of folate.
All age groups and races have a deficient median intake of vitamins A, E, B6, and copper.

Considering this information, the importance of the egg yolk and relative unimportance of the egg white becomes even more clear. The yolk contains the majority of the copper, nearly all of the calcium, iron, folate, and B6, and 100% of the vitamins A and E.

The white, on the other hand, is only useful as an added source of magnesium, or if the diet is on the whole deficient in protein. The simple addition of an adequate amount of meat in the diet would provide for both.

Finally, eggs are an excellent source of carotenoids. These are primarily highly absorbable forms of lutein and its partner zeaxanthin. These carotenoids accumulate in the back of the eye and appear to protect against age-related macular degeneration. There is no RDA for them, as researchers are still trying to understand their importance. All of the lutein and zeaxanthin in an egg is contained in the yolk.

Egg Yolks Contain Essential Fatty Acids DHA and Arachidonic Acid

One important set of nutrients that should not be overlooked is the long-chain essential fatty acids. Egg yolks contain the long-chain omega-3 fatty acid DHA, which is necessary for the brain and proper retinal function in the eye, and the long-chain omega-6 fatty acid arachidonic acid, which is required for the healthy skin, hair, libido, reproduction, growth and response to injury. These fatty acids are primarily needed by young children, pregnant and lactating women, and people with degenerative diseases involving oxidative stress, especially those of the nervous system such as Alzheimer's. While fatty fish and cod liver oil supply DHA in larger amounts, egg yolks have an advantage over these foods because they also contain arachidonic acid and because they do not contain EPA, which interferes with arachidonic acid metabolism.

According to NutritionData.Com, one egg yolk contains 75 mg of arachidonic acid (AA), 20 mg of DHA, but no EPA. As I describe in my Special Report, How Essential Are the Essential Fatty Acids?, DHA and AA are the two fatty acids essential to humans and other mammals, while EPA interferes with the body's use of AA and probably does not belong in the mammalian body at all.

Animal foods from animals raised on pasture are likely much richer in DHA. In all eggs, both the DHA and AA are contained in the yolk.
Egg Yolks Do Not Cause Heart Disease — Egg Yolks Are Good for Your Heart!

Concerned about the cholesterol in egg yolks? Worried about protecting your heart health? Egg yolks have long been maligned because of their cholesterol content, but cholesterol itself does not cause heart disease. In fact, while LDL, a major carrier of cholesterol in the blood, does have a role in heart disease, it is when poor metablism, deficient diets, and toxins destroy the LDL particle that heart disease develops. You can read more about this in my extensive article High Cholesterol and Heart Disease — Myth or Truth? Or, listen to my interview with Jimmy Moore on the Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show, Chris Masterjohn on the Health Benefits of Cholesterol." No reading required!

And, in fact, the University of Connecticut has extensively studied the effects of eggs on cholesterol levels. These high-quality controlled studies have shown that when people consume three to four eggs per day, with the yolk, virtually everyone experiences either no change or beneficial changes in their cholesterol levels. Dr. Maria-Luz Fernandez has reviewed those studies here. Dietary cholesterol provided by eggs and plasma li... [Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006] - PubMed result
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #157

Oh, My Gosh! Just popped in to post and see I have quite a bit of catching up to do. I'm afraid that will have to wait until this evening, as company is still here. Having so much fun and laughter!

Just reporting that scale weight was up just over a pound this morning after yesterdays So-o-o UP Day! So not surprised. So worth it. So relying on JUDDD to work its magic and take it back off after the next DD or two.

So yet another UD for me today.. back to back with yesterday's UD, and then a really, really good DD on the docket for tomorrow!!! :blush:
Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh, My Gosh! Just popped in to post and see I have quite a bit of catching up to do. I'm afraid that will have to wait until this evening, as company is still here. Having so much fun and laughter!

Just reporting that scale weight was up just over a pound this morning after yesterdays So-o-o UP Day! So not surprised. So worth it. So relying on JUDDD to work its magic and take it back off after the next DD or two.

So yet another UD for me today.. back to back with yesterday's UD, and then a really, really good DD on the docket for tomorrow!!! :blush:
Have a GREAT time SoHappy!! It's important to live life!
JUDDD is here when you get back! And I know you'll get right back with an AWESOME DD!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Afternoon JUDDDers!

So far, so good!!

Taking anti-acid RX for the gastritis and ginger for the nausea and eating soooooothing low cal foods.

I pureed 1 lb of frozen cauliflower that I steamed
1 leftover steamed baby bok choy and added those to my homemade chicken bone broth (defatted)
I added 4 bags of rinsed and cut shirataki noodles.

Brought the whole thing to a boil and boiled 5 minutes.

The broth thickened up nicely with the pureed veggies and the noodles give it some chewy-ness. I had a mug and it's very soothing.

I also had a HB egg.

Now nothing for awhile. Just sipping on water to keep the acids at bay.

I'm shooting for a 600 cal low carb DOWN DAY, YAY!!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
SoHappy,
THANK YOU for helping me work this out. I'm pretty stumped. I pretty much sailed along on JUDDD and dropped 60 pounds pretty fast. Then I hit a wall.
Now, I'm having the tummy troubles preventing me from going back to what worked for me on JUDDD! It's pretty discouraging, but I CANNOT go back, I MUST go forward, so I'll keep trying and tweaking and doing what I can.

I take:
Prescriptions for thyroid, Diabetes and 2 others. These I've been taking for years (and recently had my thyroid meds AND levels checked very well).

Supplements:
I started taking L-Glutamine (I think this is a major culprit) as the tummy troubles started recently after starting.

I added chai seeds to my egg white protein shake last week, but I was already feeling weird from the L-Glutamine and I think the fiber exacerbated the inflammation (gastritis) unbeknownst to me at the time.

I also take Cal-Mag-Zinc, Vit D3, Col Liver Oil, Vit C.

I had started taking 5-HTP along with the L-Glutamine.

Soooo, all that to say, I am eliminating for about a week:
L-Glutamine
5-HTP
Egg white protein shakes (for now, I know they work, but they may be adding to the inflammation)
Chia seeds (again, too much fiber which makes gastritis worse)
Extra high fiber foods (just for now - to heal)
Cocoa (I put it in my shakes)
Reducing the stevia to the barest minimum.

I'm taking ginger root for the nausea and eating several small meals often for the healing of the gastritis.

That's my plan! Any feedback?
Just a couple of thoughts on the subject.. I doubt the cause is from your actual meds, as you report you have been on them for years. Trouble could have started from one of them, but it's really doubtful to my way of thinking too.

And you don't think you are developing a sensitivity to all the egg white/eggs, which most people don't, so it's probably not that.

So, when did you start taking the various supplements? Have you always taken Vitamin C supplement, for example. That is one that can cause gut distress sometimes. It eats my tummy up! So I just make sure to eat foods that have in. Some people have a lot of gut reaction to the various calcium supplements, with gas, bloating, constipation, and related pain. Have you been taking the C and Cal supplements for several years now? Or started them recently enough that they could be considered a contributing factor?

Don't know anything about the 5-HTP and L-Glutamine. If I get a chance, I'll do a Google search to see if I find any reports of gastritis or similar complaints from them.

Also don't know much about stevia, but have heard that some people experience diarrhea if they take much. I suppose that would have to be caused by some upset in the intestinal tract initially.

Also don't know about chia.

Hope you get this figured out. I'd be inclined, myself, to discontinue the Vit C first and try plant sources for this in my diet as a first step.

And, unhappily, the cause is maybe not tied to any of these things at all. Sometimes a cause is never found. But certainly hope this resolves itself quickly, 'cause I know it isn't a happy thing to be experiencing!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #161

Good Heavens! Just started to add to a previous post and see a whole bunch more here. LOL I think I'm living in a time warp. I'm really going to have a lot of catching up to do here this evening after company has left. I'm looking forward to it, actually. Love me my LCF fix. Also, looking forward to Donna's cauli soup recipe next. And maybe more of the tuna-noodle salad!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This soup is eaten raw (and cold) and sounds really refreshing on a hot day!

SEQUOIA'S CALCIUM SOUP

10 kale leaves
1 handful of parsley
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 of a red onion
2 lemons
1 avocado
1 tomato
2 yellow bell peppers
1 handful of dulse strips or Spirulina flakes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon of unpasteurized miso
3 tablespoons oil
20 pumpkin seeds

Shave the outer skin of the lemons leaving the white pith intact. While blending all the ingredients, add distilled water to reach a thick, soupy consistency. This is a great raw soup for kids! An excellent way to introduce important heavy minerals and calcium into the diet.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #163

Quote:
Here's a really great and simply soup I found for those who like it spicy:

Red Hot Tomato Soup

4 large tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
4 tsp cold pressed olive oil
1 tsp grated ginger root
4 green onions
1/8 tsp cayenne
dash of cinnamon

Add water or more tomatoes for desired consistency if needed. Blend in blender or vitamix.
This looks like it would be amazing either hot or chilled, and a wonderful soup to make when I start getting fresh produce at the Farmer's Markets here, and then when my own (planted late) tomatoes start producing for me!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #164

Having a bit of time to myself alone here, so getting caught up slowly but surely here.

Wanted to respond to RFL's article about the health benefits of eggs. I'm a firm believer in them, and never bought into that old *eggs will raise your cholesterol and kill you* warning of years ago.

Basically, I eat the whole egg. But, I eat egg whites only on DDs, just to cut some calories and help manage the day within (or close) to my limits. An egg yolk is only about a single bite, and at 55 calories, that's a bit high for so little food on a DD! At least for me. But on UDs, it's enjoying the whole egg for me!

Some people can't handle eating too many egg yolks as it seems to promote inflammation in joints in some people, or at least a little bit, and if you're in pain, even a little can be a lot! I do have some degenerative arthritis now, particularly in spine and fingers, but... oh, well. I'm one who hasn't noticed eggs bringing on or increasing pain levels at all, so I still feel free to use them and enjoy them!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #165

One...More...Meal...

Having a whale of a wonderful Up Day here, and then back to reality.

Hope you all are having a great day. Ours is winding down with this last get together after lots of golf this afternoon.

See you this evening!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Everyone!

Just popping in here to check in before my radio show starts.

I finished the soup (shirataki, bone broth, pureed veggies) and MAN I wish I had more!

Tummy is doing well today with the measures I am taking, still hungry tho.

So, just had a lovely romaine salad with 2 HB eggs and some Newman's Own Lite Sesame Ginger dressing. YUMMY!

I'll check back in a little bit after the show is over and see how y'all are doing!

What's everyone eating today?????? Care to share the good ideas?????
Old 06-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #167

Well, the visitors are gone, the house feels empty, and the cat doesn't have nearly enough laps to sit on now, but the quiet is sort of nice. I think I will recover my hearing.
And a big wave of tiredness is sweeping over me. Far too little sleep last night. But I'll be ready to do it again whenever the opportunity comes around next time.

AND, everyone could tell I'd lost more weight since the last time we were together, so it's enough to be noticed apparently.

So I explained about the diet plan and how it works, and also how healthful it is. I wasn't trying to *sell* it to anybody, as I don't think this plan is for everybody. We definitely live in a world where most folks are used to eating quite a bit of food, every day! And they like it that way and really would like a plan where they can eat as much as they want and still lose weight! LOL But a couple were interested enough to keep asking questions.

- - - -

I believe that Annie is all done with her final testing now and FREE! It must feel wonderful to know that the classwork is now over. And you can get on with what you want to DO!!!
That was something that sounded really interesting to me.

Well, time to bring up ****** and plan out tomorrow's menu. This one really needs to be a good one!

Last edited by SoHappy; 06-11-2011 at 06:37 PM..
Old 06-12-2011, 04:46 AM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

GAZPACHO (from Farm Journal's Cooking for Company)

Make ahead of time so it has a chance to chill - this is wonderful on sultry days!!

1 C finely chopped peeled tomatoes
1/2 C finely chopped green Bell pepper
1/2 C. finely chopped celery
1/2 C finely chopped peeled cucumber
1/4 C finely chopped onion (I prefer and use green onions)
2 tsp. finely chopped or snipped fresh parsley
2 tsp. chopped or snipped fresh chives
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 1/2 T wine vinegar
1 T. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 C. tomato juice (I use 1 C tomato juice and 1 C chicken broth)

Mix all ingredients together in a glass bowl or other suitable container. Cover and chill well. Serves 6. Double recipe if you need more servings.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning all you love JUDDDers!

Happy Sunday!!!!!!!

What's on your menu for today?

SoHappy: I love your posts telling us about your wonderful visit with friends! Thank you for sharing. It's great that they could notice your weight loss and you have opportunity to simply tell them what's working for you! It's a nice affirmation as well, when someone *notices* you've lost weight! YAY!

So today is a DD for you? What's on the plan?

Hi to DONNA, MOMMY-Gates, GILLYGUM, BLONDE WITH A ROSE! How is it going for your JUDDD?

Yesterday was the 1st really good LC day I've had in awhile. I did need to eat more than I had hoped, for a MD, but it's a step in a right direction.

And now..............for my next trick................. I"m going to attempt and very dangerous stunt............................................. ....................

A FULL JUDDD DD!! <whooo hooo - and the audience goes wild!>

Yes, you heard it here first folks - a DD!

ON the menu is:
Protein shake (no chia, no cocoa) for 64 ounces 100 cals
4 HB eggs 309
Lettuce and raw spinach 62
Newman's Own Ginger Sesame dressing 35
Homemade chicken bone broth - defatted 1oo cals
2 packages shirataki noodles 0 0

Total 570 Cals Carbs 24
Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #170

Company has left, and this morning I assessed the damage: The bad news is... after two fun-filled & food-filled days with company, I'm up 2.4 pounds on the scale from last Thursday. The good news is... I'm still down half a pound from this time last Sunday! Amazing, amazing JUDDD. So I didn't wipe out the whole weeks worth of weight loss after all. (And I'm thinking as fast as this came on, it's likely water weight for the most part, so hope to shed it and more in the next few days.)

Today is a DD, of course, and I'm enjoying a mug of hot Irish Breakfast tea at the moment.

I'll eat in the later morning and have a good-sized egg white omelette, adding onion and sweet yellow pepper, fresh sliced mushrooms and black olives, and a bit of shredded cheddar cheese on it to top it off. Should come in at around 150 calories or so.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning again!

I went to the garden this morning, only to find that slugs and cabbage worms have been making my cabbage and broccoli plants look like Swiss cheese!

I garden organically so no pesticides, but there are some organic remedies I'm fixing to try!

While I was there, I picked some shallots, kale, outer broccoli leaves, salad bowl lettuce, outer cabbage leaves, romaine lettuce leaves.

I'm washing those up and some I will eat raw (lettuces), some I will gentle stir fry with some shirataki noodles (cabbage and broccoli leaves) and I tossed the kale into my protein shake in the blender and made a green protein smoothie.

The zucchini are flowering, but no zukes yet. But hey, they are on the way!!

It's a blessing to go shopping in an organic raised bed garden (well, any kind of garden, but mine is all raised beds and containers).

I could follow SoHappy's example and add the sauteed veggies to an omelet. Hmmmmm, so many options!!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Company has left, and this morning I assessed the damage: The bad news is... after two fun-filled & food-filled days with company, I'm up 2.4 pounds on the scale from last Thursday. The good news is... I'm still down half a pound from this time last Sunday! Amazing, amazing JUDDD. So I didn't wipe out the whole weeks worth of weight loss after all. (And I'm thinking as fast as this came on, it's likely water weight for the most part, so hope to shed it and more in the next few days.)

That's REALLY good news SoHappy!!

And yes, I believe a good DD or two and those pounds will be gone and you'll be back to fat-burning, weight loss!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I mentioned that I picked the outer leaves from my organic broccoli plants that were being attacked by slugs and cabbage worms. Some of the outer leaved are in perfect condition and I wanted to see if I could use them - rather than discard. I'm going to stir fry these and cabbage leaves the same way.

I found this:

Quote:
Why I should eat the stems and leaves of broccoli

Don't throw away those stems and leaves of broccoli. Enjoying the stems and leaves will not only give you added flavor and nutrition, but more broccoli for your buck!

We all know broccoli is good for us, but did you know that the different parts of the broccoli plant make their own distinctive contributions to its overall nutritional value? Broccoli stems have a wonderful mild sweet flavor and are much higher in fiber than the florets; they are renown for the amount of extra fiber they can add to your diet. While the florets contain more beta-carotene than the stalks, the leaves actually are a richer source of beta-carotene than either the stems or florets. And remember when selecting broccoli florets that the dark green, bluish-green, or purplish-green color contain higher concentrations of beta-carotene than pale green or yellowish-green florets.

When cooking broccoli it is best to peel off the tough outer layer of the stem before cooking. Slice them into medium size pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the florets; add the leaves along with the florets.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #174

Quote:
I mentioned that I picked the outer leaves from my organic broccoli plants that were being attacked by slugs and cabbage worms. Some of the outer leaved are in perfect condition and I wanted to see if I could use them - rather than discard. I'm going to stir fry these and cabbage leaves the same way.

I found this:
Why I should eat the stems and leaves of broccoli

Don't throw away those stems and leaves of broccoli. Enjoying the stems and leaves will not only give you added flavor and nutrition, but more broccoli for your buck!

We all know broccoli is good for us, but did you know that the different parts of the broccoli plant make their own distinctive contributions to its overall nutritional value? Broccoli stems have a wonderful mild sweet flavor and are much higher in fiber than the florets; they are renown for the amount of extra fiber they can add to your diet. While the florets contain more beta-carotene than the stalks, the leaves actually are a richer source of beta-carotene than either the stems or florets. And remember when selecting broccoli florets that the dark green, bluish-green, or purplish-green color contain higher concentrations of beta-carotene than pale green or yellowish-green florets.

When cooking broccoli it is best to peel off the tough outer layer of the stem before cooking. Slice them into medium size pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the florets; add the leaves along with the florets.
Thank you so much for posting this article. I think, at least for myself, the discussion and sharing of nutrition/articles is so beneficial, especially because of the fact that eating for weight loss means cutting back on quantity, and/or cutting out a wide variety of foods this world has to offer. So our focus on what we are eating becomes even more important. At least to me.

I do try to get in a good variety of healthful foods, even on DDs, and the ideas and recipes I get here have been a big help to me. Again, thanks for posting the article.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #175

Picture time!

Meals and Foods and Eating on a JUDDD Up Day are all easy. Nothing is off limits and the only thing I need to be aware of is not going too-o-o-o high in my calories for the day. And getting in plenty of protein. And whatever else I want.

In other words, it's a day of not dieting, and not being on a diet. Except, of course, that I am following the JUDDD Plan!

Holding my JUDDD Down Days to my low calorie limits is rarely a hard thing to do either anymore, as long as my meals can be varied and tasty and filling... Not asking for much, am I? LOL Well, AND.. they have to be in the area of 500 calories on most DDs.

I'm going to post meal plans with photos here to keep myself accountable, and to record the ingredients and measurements so I can refer back easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5342.jpg (41.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by SoHappy; 06-12-2011 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #176

Quote:
Picture time!

Meals and Foods and Eating on a JUDDD Up Day are all easy. Nothing is off limits and the only thing I need to be aware of is not going too-o-o-o high in my calories for the day. And getting in plenty of protein. And whatever else I want.

In other words, it's a day of not dieting, and not being on a diet. Except, of course, that I am following the JUDDD Plan!

Holding my JUDDD Down Days to my low calorie limits is rarely a hard thing to do either anymore, as long as my meals can be varied and tasty and filling... Not asking for much, am I? LOL Well, AND.. they have to be in the area of 500 calories on most DDs.

I'm going to post meal plans with photos here to keep myself accountable, and to record the ingredients and measurements so I can refer back easily.
Menu: egg white scramble with yellow pepper, onion, mushrooms & black olives topped with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced Roma tomato wedges, toast w/peanut butter spread, blueberries, and mango orange beverage

.6 oz yellow pepper (4 cal)
.4 oz onion (5 cal)
1 oz mushrooms (6 cal)
.2 oz black olives (6 cal)
3 egg whites (51 cal)
.2 oz cheddar cheese, shred (20 cal)
1 oz tomato wedges (5 cal)
1/4 cup blueberries (20 cal)
1 slice 40-cal bread, toasted & split (40 cal)
2 tbsp Walden Farm *peanut butter* spread (0 cal)
glass of mango orange beverage (0 cal)

****** say 157 calories

Last edited by SoHappy; 06-12-2011 at 10:21 AM..
Old 06-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #177

Another picture for my Down Day accounting and chronicle.. This is my late afternoon snack, or *lunch*..

Menu: turkey sandwich with lettuce and Swiss cheese, dill pickle, and fresh zucchini sticks, and iced tea

1 slice low-cal bread, lightly toasted and split (40 cal)
1 slice turkey breast lunchmeat (30 cal)
1 slice low-fat Swiss cheese (25 cal)
1 oz lettuce (4 cal)
1 oz dill pickle, sliced (3 cals)
2 oz zucchini, in sticks (12 cal)
8 oz iced tea (3 cal)

****** says 117 calories
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5345.jpg (32.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by SoHappy; 06-12-2011 at 02:43 PM..
Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Woo hoo, DD food porn! I love it, SoHappy.

For lunch, I had a hot dog meal: 1 slice 35-cal bread, split, plus two FF Hebrew National Hot Dogs (40 cals each), a dribble of mustard, let's say 5 cals, and 1/2 cup of mixed raspberries and blackberries drizzled with a splash of SF Davinci's Blueberry syrup (40 cals), and a glass of water (did not take picture of that lol), and one stalk of celery cut up (10 cals) for a total of 170 calories.

Then I made zuk-ataki spaghetti to have for dinner. Here is a bowl of about 8 cups of raw zuke noodles, from 2 zukes:

For those of you without a spiral slicer, here is what is left from a zucchini after it is turned into angel hair:

Zukenoodles after cooking for about 5 mins in microwave - see how nice and bendy they are!

Here's the bowl of zukenoodles after cooking and squeezing out most of the liquid - still a big bowl of zuke!

Finished product - cooked zukes mixed very well with shiratake noodles, then mixed very well again with 2 cups of marinara sauce. When I dry-cooked the shirataki I added in a bit of garlic powder. Zuke noodles - 160 cals, shiratake - 0 cals, marinara - 100 cals, garlic powder - 5 cals, so total for giant bowl 265 calories. I ate about 1/4 of the bowl, which would be around 65 calories but that just seems impossible to me so I'll say 100 calories for a generous, generous serving:

I still plan to have a shake tonight, and my batch of gluc gel - not sure how the shake will photograph but I'll try!
penguinpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #179

Completing my Down Day with my late evening dinner. Reporting my menu, ingredients, calorie counts, and the accompanying photo. Total calories for this DD ended up at 520, according to ******, with 53 net carbs.

Menu: baked tilapia fish fillet w/lemon, parsley & dill, steamed broccoli, yam slices, beet slices, cucumber-tomato-seaweed yam cake salad w/Italian dressing & parsley, fresh bing cherries and unsweetened vanilla almond milk

2.8 oz tilapia (76 cal)
1 oz yams (33 cal)
1 oz beets (9 cal)
3 oz broccoli (29 cal)
3 oz cucumber (10 cal)
1 oz tomato (5 cal)
3 oz seaweed yam cake (10 cal)
1 tbsp lite Italian dressing (18 cal)
2 oz sweet bing cherries (36 cal)
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (30 cal)

****** says 256 calories for this meal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5347.jpg (44.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Woo hoo, DD food porn! I love it, SoHappy.

For lunch, I had a hot dog meal: 1 slice 35-cal bread, split, plus two FF Hebrew National Hot Dogs (40 cals each), a dribble of mustard, let's say 5 cals, and 1/2 cup of mixed raspberries and blackberries drizzled with a splash of SF Davinci's Blueberry syrup (40 cals), and a glass of water (did not take picture of that lol), and one stalk of celery cut up (10 cals) for a total of 170 calories.

Then I made zuk-ataki spaghetti to have for dinner. Here is a bowl of about 8 cups of raw zuke noodles, from 2 zukes:

For those of you without a spiral slicer, here is what is left from a zucchini after it is turned into angel hair:

Zukenoodles after cooking for about 5 mins in microwave - see how nice and bendy they are!

Here's the bowl of zukenoodles after cooking and squeezing out most of the liquid - still a big bowl of zuke!

Finished product - cooked zukes mixed very well with shiratake noodles, then mixed very well again with 2 cups of marinara sauce. When I dry-cooked the shirataki I added in a bit of garlic powder. Zuke noodles - 160 cals, shiratake - 0 cals, marinara - 100 cals, garlic powder - 5 cals, so total for giant bowl 265 calories. I ate about 1/4 of the bowl, which would be around 65 calories but that just seems impossible to me so I'll say 100 calories for a generous, generous serving:

I still plan to have a shake tonight, and my batch of gluc gel - not sure how the shake will photograph but I'll try!
So THAT's what zucchini noodles look like! Just like spaghetti with a little green stripe running along some of it! I'd love to have one of those little machines. I'd totally do that! Do I look for it at a place like BB&B?

And what brand of spaghetti/marinara sauce do I need to locate? The lowest calories I seem to be able to find comes in at 50 calories for only a half a cup. And, frankly, I don't give a fig how high it is when I eat it on UDs, but you know how we make every calorie squeek on DDs.

I've had a wonderful and relaxing Down Day. My meals were filling and tasty, and it's hard to believe that this is actually the *diet* part of the program. LOLOLOL

And tomorrow will be an UD for me, so anything I want to eat, and only keeping an eye on my upper calorie limit, which is getting higher all the time, and I'm still able to lose weight! How great is that??? And that's why I think there is something about this plan that goes at least somewhat to fixing a sluggish metabolism. Well, I hold my UDs to a reasonable carb level, but I'll bet we hit the French restaurant before tomorrow is over. :blush: